Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• amberloveamberlove Member Posts: 8
    Richard,

It's so wonderful you had a great experience like that. It's sure to make you a repeat customer. In NJ, the dealers are nothing like that; in fact, they're the opposite. Where is that dealership?

Amber
  • richardkrichardk Member Posts: 7
    Amber, the dealership I bought from is in Springfield, Missouri. I never set foot in the dealership, and I'm 200 miles from Springfield. The whole transaction was handled by fax, e-mail, and cell phone -- and they delivered my new Santa Fe to my home. They were clearly trying to exceed some sales threshold for the month, so it's hard to say whether they'd work as hard in other circumstances. But when my wife replaces her beloved '97 Elantra Wagon (with a Hyundai Tucson?), we'll certainly give them a chance.
  • earlecearlec Member Posts: 5
    Hello to all. The wife is looking at the Santa Fe 2.4, 4 cyl. It looks sweet and rides well , however the EPA mpg guide says 20 city/ 27 hwy. Is this correct? As she'd be doing MOSTLY highway driving I'd like to know if 27 mpg is realistic or not. Of course the salesman SWEARS it is , but who'd know better than owners? ANOTHER thing I don't understand is how come the MPG is the same for BOTH 5 speed manual & auto. trans?I REALLY don't trust OPEC and the thought of sitting on gas lines AGAIN really makes me ill. But this is what she'd like and I'm tired of arguing.
  • grapevinetxgrapevinetx Member Posts: 89
    I've yet to meet anyone who has equaled the EPA MPG estimates on any vehicle. Expect 5 to 20% less than the EPA numbers. How much less will depend upon your specific driving conditions. The more you use AC, travel in mountains, drive in wind, the closer to 20% less than EPA you will be.
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    With an '02 SF (2.7L eng) we get 21.3 mpg. The mix is approx 60/40 highway/city. That's using 1140 US gallons in 24361 miles.
  • magoo55magoo55 Member Posts: 8
    I have 2001 6 cyl., automatic, 36,000 miles. My most recent dealer trip was for faulty reading gas gauge. They will replace both sending units. Then we'll see. Also, when filling up, the pump will shut off automatically. But you can continue to pump slowly and put in another 2-3 gallons. The dealer says this is normal. However they put in a gas tank vent valve. If anyone has similar problems, pls advise. Thanks.
  • redsilchredsilch Member Posts: 1
    Advice, please, oh wise ones! I saw that bigkahunafl had asked the group in Feb whether a price of $20,100 was good for a GLS 2.7 FWD with ABS (Access.grp 4), tow hitch, mudguards & cargo trays.

My question is WOW who quoted you that...and where are they???? Sounds like a great price.

What should I expect to pay for a GLS 2.7 with no extras other than a tow hitch - and a gorgeous lcoally done leather interior they quoted an additional $1000 for. I'm doing 0% financing so they don't want to give me the $1500 rebate. Their quote is $22,776 + dealer fee + tax + license. (Supposedly 4% over invoice + fees).

I'm thinking a fair price is more like $21,700. Is this realistic? Any suggestions, folks?

Thank you very much! All opinions and advice welcome!

Red

P.S. I'm in Central Florida if that makes a difference. Am willing to drive up to 4 hours away to a dealer who wants my business.
  • newcarbuyernewcarbuyer Member Posts: 4
    I am very interested in a Santa Fe. I currenly own a 2000 Suzuki Vitara which I like but I have moved to a more rural area with dirt/washboard roads and the Vitara just ain't holding up.

I think from test drives that the Santa Fe is heavier and more solid. Will it hold up significantly better?

The only thing that bugs me is that I am having a very hard time finding a 5-speed with cruise control. One dealer told me today that it could "added on." This confused me as it is listed as an option and most dealers tell me that if they don't get one allocated, they won't have one available. I am not interested in aftermarket items. TIA.
  • newcarbuyernewcarbuyer Member Posts: 4
    Have you checked on edmunds.com. My insurance company/bank lender, USAA, recommended it to get a good idea of prices and it features a regional discount if applicable. It's what they use.
  • richardkrichardk Member Posts: 7
    Five speed Santa Fes are comparatively rare in the US, but you should be able to find one with cruise control. I did. See my post #4171 in this forum.
  • bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    Sorry, haven't been able to answer any questions for over a month - serious illness in the family.

I have the owner's manual in pdf and would love to find someone that could post it to a web site for others to download.

As to the dealer that gave me the price I got on my Santy, it was West Palm Hyundai. BUT, the bottom line deal was not what I expected. The service there is GREAT but the sales experience ..., well, to avoid any problems in this group I will just say poor.

IF I were to do it all over again I would have gone with the deal from Carsdirect.com. There price was actually cheaper, however I was going to have to drive to Miami to get the Santy. Usually I would prefer a trip to the dentist before driving to Dade County. Carsdirect is my recommendation for anyone buying in South Florida. They were able to locate the vehicle with the options I wanted instead of the dealers only trying to sell what they had on the lot.

I see it's a great time to pick up a Santa Fe - $1,500 rebate!
  • collins14collins14 Member Posts: 39
    We are looking at SUV's with airbags. I noticed the Santa Fe only has side airbags and not the head curtain airbags. Does anyone know how high up the window the side airbags go when they are deployed? Would the head at all be covered or is it just for the torso. Thanks
  • bolgerbolger Member Posts: 1
    We just got a 2004 Sante Fe GLS FWD 2.5 V6 for $18,900 plus tax and tags - total for everything was $20,800 (0% financing). It has some minor bells (rack crossrails, mud guards). The dealership was a hassle but I think we got a good price. So far, we really like the ride and the extra room it gives us. Two car seats fit well, I think a third car seat would be a tight squeeze.
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    being the rear seats do not fold flat it is hard to load anything long. can the seats or the backs
     be removed without to much trouble, has anyone
    done this.
  • collins14collins14 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the info. on the airbags. It answered my question.

We are fairly close to deciding on the Santa Fe. Our main decision now is the engine size. We are looking at the GLS FWD car. Is the power on the 2.7 enough for highway driving? We do not live in the mountains but are on the freeway quite a bit. Or should we go with the 3.5? Any opinions would be helpful. We are also concerned with gas mileage between the two. Any real life mpg values would be appreciated. Thanks
    We have the 2.7 and it has plenty of power unless you are considering pulling something. I got 22mpg last week with it and was driving sometimes over 80. You drive anything below 75mph on I-95 where I live and you will be run over.
  • jchatt55jchatt55 Member Posts: 10
    Are you:
    1) removing the headrest
    2) pulling the lower seat up vertical
    3) lowering the backrest to flat position

I find the rear seats fold flat enough unless you skip either steps 1 or 2.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    I'd call the power in our '01 LX FWD adequate on the highway, even here in the Rockies. It's a bit of a dog off the line but the engine likes to rev and is nice and smooth, with good cruising and passing power. I'd pass on the 3.5L unless you're towing, drag racing, or planning on getting the AWD option since it seems to be quite a bit less fuel efficient than the 2.7L. We get around 22 or so in mixed city/highway, closer to 25-26 on highway trips.

-Jason
    I wish I could get that good of gas mileage on my 2.7. However, I've got just under 3,000 miles on it. Did your's improve after some miles?
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Strangely enough, it also seems to get better mileage when my wife is driving...Couldn't have anything to do with my lead foot...

Keep in mind that's for strictly highway mileage. I don't think we've ever dropped below 20 for a tank, though.

-Jason
  • tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    Hello,

I work for a company of car dealerships and the company has 2 Hyundai franchises, so I've spent a lot of time in the Santa Fes and I'm considering getting one to replace my VW Golf, mainly cause I'm getting tired of driving such a small car (I'm 6'4")... I'm wondering about what kind of monthly payments other people have gotten on their Santa Fes, whether that be leasing or financing... if you don't mind my asking! I know they have a $199/mo lease out right now, but I'm sure that's for a stripped 4-cylinder SF, and I think I'd like to get a GLS 2.7 4WD with a few options, probably stickering around $23-24K. Anyway, if anybody can help, that would be great! Thanks a lot :-)

Tom
  • ranger2ranger2 Member Posts: 1
    Tom,

There are a lot of great payment calculators out there to help you figure out what kind of a monthly payment you would have. Your bank might even have one online, or you could check out the one they have at KBB.com
    Every one is going to have a different monthly payment depending on, How much the vehicle costs, how much they put down, if there was a trade in, and how much it was. It will also depend on the incentives or rebates being offered, and even on the local and state taxes.

Here is some great sites to go to for some advice... http://edmunds.com/advice/?tid=edmunds.g.home.header.advice.4.* and http://www.cars.com/go/newsIndex.jsp

Just picked up my 2004 2.7L 4wd Santa Fe on 4/29/04 and just love it. I think it is the best SUV deal out there. Good Luck.
  • shivelytshivelyt Member Posts: 46
    Can anyone give me a definite answer on the proper oil (standard) to use in my 01 Santa Fe? I started out in 01 using 20W-50 because that is what the dealer (Planet Hyundai in Las Vegas) said was required by the manufacturer (refer to 9-3 in the owner's manual. Now, the last time in for oil change they put in 10W-30. Service manager says the factory rep told him this was OK. I always thought it strange that the 2.7 engine required such a heavy oil; however, that is what they used until last November when they started using 10W-30. It may have something (or everything) to do with simplifying lubricants they stock in the service shop. I called Hyundai America in CA and got only a runaround from a customer service rep who admitted she was not an engineer or technician. At any rate, should I take the car back to the dealer and tell him to change the oil to 20W-50? We do have hot months out here in the desert and I would think the heavier oil would be necessary. But then, Hyundai is on the hook for warranty on the engine up to 100K miles. Any opinions here?
  • azguy77azguy77 Member Posts: 6
    Hello all. Need your help. I am seriously considering a 2004 3.5L Santa Fe. However, the only thing that turned me off, was the hesitation I experienced in the Automatic Transmission. I currently own a 2000 Saturn SC2 (Manual). Not sure if maybe I am just not use to an automatic? But, when I would accelerate, it had good pick up and go. But when I pushed the pedal, it hesitated, and then kicked in. Anyone experience this? Is this common? A concern? Will there be engine problems down the road? Thanks!
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    I would simply go by the suggestions in your owner's manual. There's a very easy to read temperature/recommended oil scale in there and most owner's manuals these days.

Generally speaking, 10W30 is standard unless temps are consistently below freezing or over 90 degrees. Use a full synhetic 10W30 and you needn't worry at all. Newer engines tolerances are much too close for the heavy oils, so I'd avoid the 20W50 oils altogether.

As for the hesitation on the 3.5 five speed, I believe there's an ECU update for that. I would require the dealer to apply any and all updates and confirm the problem is resolved before purchasing the vehicle.
  • djpkdjpk Member Posts: 12
    couple days ago, I finally picked up Black Santa Fe GLS with crossrack and cargo tray option for 20k. We took the rebate since they don't have 0% insterest anymore. so, with all tax, tag, etc, the final price was $19500. I think I got the good deal. Saleperson was great. This was the best car buying experience I had. I think we only spent an hour for me to drive out with the car. We did all the nego over the e-mails. If you are looking for Santa Fe in Northern VA area, let me know. This guys are great. Oh, I love this car so far.
  • raejonesraejones Member Posts: 3
    I had a 2002 Santa Fe I traded in (replaced tranny at about 10K miles and with other problems decided vehicle was a lemon). Purchased a 2004 in Dec 03 - guess what? I'm now dealing with a leaking tranny seal at 7K miles(dealer took 2 days to replace and also check fuel gauge). Got vehicle home, big puddle on garage floor and driveway - transmission fluid. Vehicle back in shop, dealer not sure if seal was bad or if transfer case is cracked. Hassel with loaner vehicle because I did not buy extended warranty and did not buy from dealership where service is being performed (purchasing dealership no longer deals in Hyundai) - wonder why. How is your problem coming?
  • capttrip55capttrip55 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a Hyundai Santa Fe. I am considering the 2.4 liter FWD base with the convience package and ABS or the 2.7 liter v6 fwd with the ABS/traction control package. I have had a chance to do a brief test drive on both and noticed that they both lacked take off speed but didnt notice much difference between the two. (Granted it was 2 weeks between test drives). So can someone tell me why I should get one over the other? Is the 2.7 worth the extra 1800 or whatever? What price should I expect to pay for each?
  • capttrip55capttrip55 Member Posts: 4
    Ok, i have a few other questions. THe time frame on the warranty is great. However what types of things are actually covered under the warranty or better yet what is not covered? Do you still have the pay a certain percentage when something goes wrong or is it totally free? Can you change your own oil and other regular maintnence stuff or do you have to take it to the dealer to avoid voiding the warranty? What other things void the warranty? Thanks/
    I believe you'd be happiest with the 2.7, but it's really your choice. I think the Santy is a bit heavy for a 4 banger, especially if you go automatic.

As for the warranty questions, I'd recommend you check out the information Hyundai provides at hyudaiusa.com. As with any vehicle, you can perform basic maintenance like oil changes w/o voiding your warranty as long as you keep records and your receipts. Do a Google search on Magnussen-Moss for details on what and how your warranty can be voided.
  • twospiritstwospirits Member Posts: 4
    The magnuson- Moss Warranty Act can be viewed at this web link http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm as for the Warranty you can get the Info at the following site. http://www.hyundaiusa.com/Vehicles/SantaFe/Warranty.asp just click on the specific warranty and it will show you what it covers.

For a more thorough breakdown of the warranty and what it does or does not cover you can download the Official Hyundai Warranty Coverage Guide from my website in the mod section. http://santafemods.com/Disclaimer.htm
  • santefesantefe Member Posts: 3
    Just bought the 2004 Sante Fe GLS with the 3.5 6 cylinder engine,,,,,,,,,,I love this truck,rides like a car,not sure about the gas mileage yet,only have 300 miles,,,
  • kalabankalaban Member Posts: 17
    Hi! I just bought the same model. Chose it over the Honda CRV and Mazda Tribute. Paid 18,000 (with trade in of my 98 Nissan Altima which was beat up).

Anything I should be on gaurd for in terms of problems?
  • moonlitbluemoonlitblue Member Posts: 7
    I got a 2004 3.5 gls with moonroof etc. a few weeks ago and have about 600 miles on it now. Just did the calculation with info for between the 2nd and 3rd tanks of gas, and the mpg was 21.2. That would have been mostly about-town driving.

I think this is a nice solid vehicle for the money. I'd been looking at Highlanders and test drove a few, but even after dealing down to $27,000, I couldn't rationalize spending that kind of money. Then I test drove the Santa Fe and simply liked driving it better, and got a pretty comparable vehicle for thousands less (I think it was $20,800--after the $1700 cash back deal they had). The dealership was not at all pushy, and several people I work with who have Santa Fe's confirm that the service is great even after the sale. (I also thought it was interesting when I'd ask someone how they liked their Highlander and they'd say in a flat voice, Oh, I like it. Then I'd ask someone how they liked their Santa Fe, and they'd exclaim, Oh, I LOVE it. Even if they'd had a problem initially (which was always fixed at no charge).

I'm not sure, though, that I should have gotten the 3.5 engine. It does make it drive more like a car and has great power (which I don't care about having unless in a high-speed merging situation), but when I'm starting out, I feel like if I'm not really careful stepping on the accelerator with just the right light touch, I sometimes get these jack-rabbit starts, similar to someone who can't drive a stick-shift properly. And someone on an earlier posting mentioned a hesitation, which I think miight be related to what I'm describing? A reply to that mentioned an ECU update so I wrote that down, even though I have no idea what it means. I'm wondering if it's a fuel injection problem, if there actually is a problem.

I thought I'd wait until it's time for the first oil change, see if I'm still not used to or comfortable with it, then see if this could be adjusted or fixed. I'd like to hear if anyone else has noticed anything similar. Just having the proper wording to give the service department might help me more than anything. At this point, all i could tell them is that I often feel like a racehorse flying out of the starting gate. They'll just laugh.

Thanks!
  • redbirchredbirch Member Posts: 5
    Just got the santa fe v6 2.7 fwd two days ago. We love it! The wife has already started to fight with me for driving it, hehe.

we tested many other compact SUVs, like CRV, tribute, escape, VUE and finally chose the santa fe over others.

It is fun to drive, and has long list of standard features, competitive price, super exterior and interior designs.

I am happy with my decision!
  • caterina99caterina99 Member Posts: 1
    DJPK- you said you knew a good salesperson in the northern VA area-- i'm interested to know who.

here's my deal:
    - looking to buy my first car soon; after everything i've read about SF, i'm hooked!
    - will be moving to CA @ end of summer($$$ gas prices!) and then Boston next year (so also will deal with lots of snow)
    - i don't really care about too much power, but i do have concerns about mileage and traction in snow...

should i look at 2.7L or 3.5? FWD or AWD? any other tips for this inexperienced car shopper?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Per the Rules of the Road link above, no names of individuals on the boards please. If you make your email public in your profile, that kind of info can be mailed to you. Thanks!

Steve, Host
    Cat,

Based on your preferences, I'd say you would probably be happy with the 2.7 liter AWD. Better gas mileage, more than adequate power in my experience, and a simpler (i.e., more reliable) AWD setup.
  • smilin_eyessmilin_eyes Member Posts: 3
    I definitely want a Santa fe. Been looking at them for at least two years finally ready to get rid of present car. The problem is I worry about the gas mileage. I tend to have a bit of a lead foot so I'm wondering If I would be happy w/the 2.7 or should just bite the bullet and get the 3.5. Won't be doing any towing mostly want it for the space. It will be a fwd I don't live in a hilly area. 60%-75% of driving will be on 6 lane highway at speeds of approx 75. Any suggestions.
  • tromboneboytromboneboy Member Posts: 12
    I've just had a 3.5L 2004 Santa Fe as a loaner while the rear seat back adjuster on my 2.7L Santa Fe was fixed. I purchased my Santa Fe in late May and just recently realized that the rear seat back adjust behind the driver's seat wasn't working. It only locked when full tilted back.

After driving the 3.5L just yesterday I can say that the "jack rabbit start" is just part of having that engine. It was very different from my 2.7L. I found the 3.5L to have more power from a start *and* when going, but it takes some getting used to.
    I just drove my GLS 2.7L 4WD up into the mountains and thought it had plenty of power. It isn't going to respond like the 3.5L, but I want a little better gas mileage and I bought my 1994 Chrysler Concorde with the "smaller" 6 cyclinder as well, although then it was a 3.5L vs. 3.3L.

I do find I need to wait a bit after putting the car into drive, as it seems to take more time then normal for the 4 wheel drive to engage. I've tried to take off without the delay and the car's transmission will "jerk" a couple of times as it still seems to be engaging.

I'm one of the many who also drove the Honda CRV, Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape, etc. and went with the Santa Fe. I didn't bother with the RAV4. I've always owned cars, so the Santa Fe was the best for me. It was night and day between the Mazda Tribute and Santa Fe. Those of you who've done likewise will agree. I almost bought the Ford Escape, and am so glad I held off and did all the test drives.
    The only downside is the fact that you can't get anti-lock brakes on the 2.7L versions, and I've gotten used to it (finally) on my Concorde.

I've put about 3000 miles on the Santa Fe now, and other than the rear seat adjust problem and problems in communicating with the dealer's service department I've been very happy with the purchase. I've got 150K miles on the Concorde now, and I think the Santa Fe will go at least as long.
  • smilin_eyessmilin_eyes Member Posts: 3
    I did it yesterday I went to the dealership planning to just test drive the 2.7 to decide for sure which I wanted. I decided I would be happier w/3.5 fwd. I was telling salesman I was going to credit union to try to get a good % on the loan and he said he could beat them ended up with 3.79% have to wait for today they did not have the Moonlit Blue but will have it today. I am sooooo excited to finally do it and make the purchase.
    I ended up taking my 3.5 in to have them check it. Everything was fine and they took time to explain that the computer adjusts to the person's driving style and it could take about 3,000 miles to really be settled. I'm not getting the jack-rabbit starts anymore. One problem may have been, they said, that I was pressing on the accelerator too gingerly and that was messing the computer thing up. I think they're right. I've just been pressing down like normal now and it's great.

He said they get more complaints from women than men, probably because men just lay into the gas pedal and like to start fast (although I see plenty of obnoxious female speeders on the roads). Whether that's a ridiculous remark on the mechanic's part, I don't know.

They also told me to check in every once in awhile to see if an "adjustment" has been offered for my particular vehicle. There are certain models of the 3.5 or other models that if they get a certain amount of complaints, Hyundai develops a computer program to fix it, gets it approved by whatever government safety dept., then makes it available at the dealership. There are some computer updates for some 3.5s manufactured before a certain date (apparently takes about a half hour to run), but mine didn't qualify and probably doesn't need anything.

I was glad to hear you drove so many other models because I didn't and wondered if I should have tried the Escape (although I read the gas tank is small and you have to fill up more often, which turned me right off). And I liked the looks of the Kia Sorrento but read it had poor gas mileage for what it is. Anyway, I really like the way this Santa Fe 3.5 drives and am very happy with it--especially with all I got for my low car payment!

I'm getting about 20 mpg, which is fine for me because I don't have a long commute to work. I don't have all wheel drive because I heard that affects mpg, and front wheel drive has always been plenty to get us out of normal snow situations--and I live in Wisconsin.

If I could do it over, I'd still buy the 3.5, but I'm sure the 2.7 would be fine, too. If they ever come out with some "funner" colors, I might be tempted to trade in, although that would be foolish and I think the moonlit blue is pretty.

Well, thanks for your input on the 3.5!
    Well,

I have a GLS 3.5 I bought June 30, 2004. It has been back in for service twice for the jack rabbit start and transmission lags. They applied a "computr software" fix that did nothing to address the problem.

ON 8/23/04, they are going to replace the transmission with a new one.

I am starting to wonder if I should have bought the Honda CR-V like I had originally intended.
    What a pain!

Sounds like they need to redesign the way this 3.5 works. I don't think it seems right to have to take over 1000 miles for the car to get used to my driving. And in your case, the car obviously hasn't gotten better.

Maybe it's too much power for what the vehicle needs. A 3.0 would be perfect for me.

Good luck!
    Thanks! It has been a pain. I agree that a 3.0 would be fine for me as well. I would've gone with the 2.7, but Consumer Reports and others reported it as being "underpowered for it's weight".

I'll post results after I get my new transmission.
  • tromboneboytromboneboy Member Posts: 12
    I thought I'd jump in again after not checking for a bit. The CU quote actually is "The 2.7 - liter V6 feels refined, but weight takes a toll on acceleration and fuel economy - we managed only 18 mpg overall." I actually have yet to calculate *my* fuel economy, but now I'm curious. I have read somewhere (Edmunds?) that the Sante Fe is underpowered in the "base" model, but that is the 2.4L four cyclinder engine. That trim is the lowest of 7 trim lines, but may be fine for many who also like a manual transmission. According to CU, the horse power ratings for the engines are: 2.4L = 138, 2.7L = 170, 3.5L = 200.
    The 3.5L is new for 2004, and it doesn't look like CU test drove it. Their mpg number is for the 2.7L.

3000 miles does seem like a long time for the computer to learn a driving style. My '94 Concorde supposedly averages the way it was driven the last 3 times to maximize fuel efficiency - at least that is how I remember it.
    The 3.5L Santa Fe with the 5 speed automatic may indeed get close to same highway mpg as the 2.7L, as the 2.7L just comes with the 4 speed automatic. Hmmm....

I'm still glad I bought what I have though. I'll try and track the mileage and will try to post it. My work drive is almost all highway, but I wanted the AWD for those occasional trips into the Colorado mountain dirt roads (and the snow at times here in the Denver area).

BTW, anyone know how to make the accessory jacks have 12 volts all the time? There are times when I'd like to charge the cell phone with the vehicle off. The older American cars leave the cigarette lighter and accessory jacks "hot". Maybe it's in the manual.