Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    Way back (1965) there was a trade agreement signed between Canada and the US called the Autopact. It was basically a free trade agreement where you could make any car in either country and sell it in either country free of any tarrifs. My understanding is that the Autopact has bennifeted Canada much more than the US and allowed movement of Domestic manufacturing production to Canada from the US.

Canada-US Automotive Products Agreement (Autopact), a conditional free-trade agreement signed by Canada and the US in January 1965 to create a single North American market for passenger cars, trucks, buses, tires and automotive parts. In Canada FREE TRADE does not apply to consumer sales; it applies solely to manufacturers who meet certain conditions. Under the agreement, motor-vehicle manufacturers are obliged to maintain the same ratio of production to sales in Canada as existed in the 1964 model year; to maintain Canadian value-added or Canadian content equal to the 1964 model year; and have been required (from 1965 onwards) to increase Canadian value-added by 60% of the growth in the value of passenger cars sold (50% for trucks and 40% for buses).

Between 1965 and 1982 Canada had an overall automotive trade deficit of $12.1 billion with the US, with a surplus of about $28 billion in assembled vehicles and a deficit of about $40.5 billion in automotive parts. Canada had overall surpluses in 1970, 1971, 1972 and 1982. Since 1982 Canada has had a continuing surplus with the US. In 1982-86 exports were $135.5 billion and imports were $112.9 billion, for a 5-year surplus of $22.5 billion.

The 2 principal purposes of the Autopact were to lower Canadian production costs through more efficient production of fewer lines of motor vehicles and parts, and to lower consumer prices. However, critics note that the industry has remained essentially foreign controlled and that Canadian subsidiaries are less autonomous than they once were. In addition, they note that the industry spends little on research and development in Canada. Automotive industry employment totalled 70 600 in 1965, reached about 125 000 in 1978 before falling to about 99 000 in 1982. Since then employment has recovered to about 140 000.

Under the Free Trade agreement negotiated with the US in 1987, Canadian safeguards would remain, with North American auto producers losing their right to import parts and vehicles duty-free from other countries unless the safeguards were met. Japanese and other offshore automakers would not be able to join the Autopact. The Canada-US pact can be terminated at any time by 12 months written notice by either government

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0001245
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    It isn't meant to be arrogant. It's just a fact. :mad: I feel sorry for people living in China, I really do. The people get abused by american corporations. When I have video of chinese children chained to a sewing machine it makes this "human rights american" sick and sad. It's called Slavery in this country and shouldn't be tolerated any where on this earth. I'm sorry it came across that way and I hope I cleared up what I was trying to say. ;)

Best of luck and I hope someday you can help China change.

Respectfully,

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Worse than you think. If a Chinese worker loses a hand in one of those machines from which the safeguards were removed to speed up production, he is awarded the princely sum of $40 and is unable to work again. He returns to his rural village as a pathetic beggar.
  • day9day9 Member Posts: 57
    I don't know where you got those news. I don't deny that those could be true. But always looking for sad stories is not good for you. If you want to look for dark side, they are every where. Turn on your TV and watch news and you will know. From what I know, things are not as bad as you described. Let's don't make talking cars political.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

What's good for the UAW is good for America. Doesn't the UAW and other unions SUPPORT workers rights, fair wages, fair health insurance so your precious tax dollars don't go to another uninsured, retirements, etc etc. The UAW like all unions support Buy American Made first. What they mean is yes they would rather have you buy Canadian over a product made in mexico. The president of Mexico should "rot" !!!!!! He makes me sick because if he truely cared about his people, then he would do everything in his power to help his people. Nope he wants us to have open borders and illegal immigration instead of trying to overhaul everything that's wrong with Mexico. Mexico has been polluted by american corporations in some areas and had it's people taken advantage of. :cry: :mad:
    Mexico is one of the most beautiful country's in the world and has some of the largest natural resources yet to be extracted. WHY ????????????????

Yes the Canadians Auto Workers are part of the UAW. I have said over and over again that Canada might as well be the 51st state. We are very close. kinda like sisters. ;) Canada is a developed FREE country that supports human rights, freedom of speach, the right to vote, child labor laws, etc etc. The UAW is going to support those rights and in Canada you can't cross the picket line ;) I'd rather buy a (CAW) GM vehicle assembled in Canada than a Toyota built in Kentucky. Why ? The money still goes to GM which is a domestic american comapany. Also that Canadian built GM vehicle also has more American Content than the Toyota. I however will say this. If the Asains ever get the american content upwards of 85-90% I won't complain too much. They are at 65% for the Acura TL.
    (I unfortunatly use to own one) The Honda Accord some say is 70% ???? 15% more to go and it will be American enough for me to not complain to much. Now if the plants someday become union then I will support them even more. Why ? I truely care about my fellow american and want he/she to earn a fair wage, benefits, retirement, which should be entitled to all people living in our great country. Not just for the select few with golden parachutes.

Rocky
    Do you think someday we will ever get to see a automobile that is 100% American made ??????
    I'd would be happy enough if it was 80% American and 20% Canadian=100% North American Made.

I got a question ol' timers !!!!!! What was the last 100% American made car ?????? I would like to really know the answer. ;)

Rocky
  • bifbif Member Posts: 7
    If I go to a Wal-mart and buy a foreign made tee shirt, there is a good chance it was made by a child working under unconscionable conditions (14 hour days, no breaks, no going to the bathroom, work faster or get beaten, then get marched to a "dormitory" with the other captives). Besides that, the people at the Wal-mart look miserable and don't get health insurance except for what they get from the state. I would rather pay more someplace else and be able to sleep at night.

On the other hand, if I buy a car that was made in Europe or Japan, the people who made it are better off (including things like health insurance, pension and disposable income) then the people who make cars in the US. So why shouldn't I buy the foreign made car?
  • reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    Because pretty soon Bif, you and many other American workers are going to have jobs working working under unconscionable conditions (14 hour days, no breaks, no going to the bathroom, work faster or get pay deducted, then get marched to a "factory housing" with the other Anglos)in order to compete and you can say goodby to all the things you were used to (including things like health insurance, pension and disposable income). If you dont think its happening check the employees in all the airlines going bankrupt along with the business that Walmart is banrupting with its Chinese-made low price goods.....
    What country are you from ? I've seen the flag before but am not remembering. :surprise: duh me :)

reddogs, I can see WHY he made that suggestion. I however gotta strongly agree with you. :shades:

Rocky
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    The unions have screwed up everything they've touched. They'll bankrupt GM and Ford very soon. Watch. When we pay a guy $28 an hour to sit home an watch TV there is obviously gonna be a problem down the line. The auto industry will never be able to sustain the wage levels the way they are cause of the global competition.
    Yeah especially if we keep the pro-global yuppies in power. If you couldn't tell I'm anti-globalization. I don't want my country's standard of living getting flushed down the toilet so a select few can make billions at the expense of the overall good of my country. Our fore-fathers would roll over in their grave if they could see what the people in power have done to this great country.

A few trade laws repealed and tariffs enforced would stop the bleeding of american manufactoring ;)

Rocky
  • reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    You are 100% correct, Bill Clinton openned the gates wide open and let the flood from China begin and told us "we would be selling to all these billions of consumers in China", so much for that...... :mad:
  • sandydebsandydeb Member Posts: 19
    I truely care about my fellow american and want he/she to earn a fair wage, benefits, retirement, which should be entitled to all people living in our great country.

And what exactly is your definition of 'fair wage'? Some kids go to school, struggle to get into a good college , take loans to pay steep tutions, get into a financial services firm, work for whatever hours are required, pay $160+ a month for healthcare (with deductibles), no pensions but only 401(k) and can potentially get fired at the drop of a hat.

Some kids chill out at school, grind through high school, get a job as a UAW worker, free healthcare for the entire clan for life, iron clad pensions, no firing, get paid for not working yada yada yada.

You can maybe find 100,000 people to do the first job. You can find 2 billion people to so the second job.

So how on earth is that fair wage / fair compensation. Wake up brother. Communism is dead. America led the free world into globalization and that is the future of the world. If there are a billion people who can do an autoworkers job for less, they will do it till such time their wages come up and match those of the others, which will of course go down.

If building a car requires skills which a person in Mexico can provide at a quarter the wages and benefits of an American, power be with him. If the American car worker believes that he is worth more than the low worker wages, he can do something else. This is a free country end everyone has the freedom to do whatever he wants to do. Cross-class mobility is way better here than anywhere else in the world. People will have to live with what they deserve in the new world, not with what they have come to expect.

Coming back to cars, all I care about is how good a car is. If you are so concerned about foreigners not making any money, turn in the entire mortgage you took out. A foreigner is making money out of it. Sell you car (American/Korean whatever) coz some foreigner has loaned you that money and is making a profit out of it. The world is too mixed up to be able to figure out the origin of money.

Cars need to be purchased of how good you feel about it. If American brands make you feel better, go ahead. There is nothing called and America / Japanese or whatever car. Most probably most of the money GM raises is from a market where inverstors are from all over the world. Ultimately any money made flows up to them. A car is not just about where a part was made or assembled. It starts way far behind. But if assembling is what makes you happy, be happy.
    Our fore-fathers would roll over in their grave if they could see what the people in power have done to this great country.

Absolutely. Our forefathers would roll over in their graves to see that descendants of entreprenurial, hard working, spirited, risk - taking, focussed, creative ancestors are lazy bums who want to put no effort into building their lives but expect everything to come to them at no cost.
    I'm not going to make much of a excuse for Bill. I will say this. He could of added more human rights language to the "fast tracked" NAFTA bill introduced by George Bush and congress before he left office. Ross Perot was exactly right and the Unions confirmed his charts of the american economy going down as true. Wasn't Ross Perot right ?????
    I'd say so. ;)

Bill Clinton signed it (NAFTA) into law unchanged which left the unions feeling back stabbed for supporting him, after their canidate former Gov. of California Jerry Brown bit the dust. The next great Union canidate is none other than John Edwards whom wants to repeal trade treaties and NAFTA & CAFTA since he believes it's doing grave danger to the American Worker and american buisness that has to compete with cheap foreign made goods. I think GM and Bill Ford will support him.(Edwards) Even if it's done secretly.

They also feel betrayed by Dubya because he did nothing to the oil company's and their high gas gouging prices that killed the american automobile industry into losses. Bill Ford went to President Bush and asked for help. He recieved a cold shoulder from our President. :mad:

But yes Slick Willy's biggest blunder outside of his sex scandel is NAFTA. I like Bill Clinton, but the NAFTA blunder makes me hate him at the same time. :mad:

Rocky
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Gee, I thought that EDMUNDS.com was an AUTOMOTIVE forum instead a "bash Wal-Mart" forum.

I guess that was the good old days ... before certain posters showed up.
  • mylar202asmylar202as Member Posts: 12
    Sandy, your exactly right. Unions reward the wrong people in many cases. People in this country now THINK they DESERVE a life with a house, two cars and a boat. They are ENTITLED to $35 an hour simply because they are American. They have taken out the incentive to get a good education and replaced it by paying menial labor too much because they are union. If everyone thought like Union boys there would be no Engineers (that would require college) to design the vehicles they build. If you don't like white collar "yuppies" earning to much, risk your own capital and start a company of your own, just like Henry Ford. Most don't because it's easier to hire on to someone else's risk and then [non-permissible content removed] at them for being successful.
    Do you have a so-called American Made car that you like or drive ?????

Rocky
    One last comment:

My father has acquired lots of skills either through college education, military, and on the job training that GM/Delphi paid for.
    Shouldn't they count as something ?????

I however do understand where you are coming from.
    Alot of americans can't really afford $80K+ in college debt to acquire education and eat. I have college broke friends that are borderline poverty.
    I think the best way to get a college education is to work for a company that will sponsor one to go to school. However this isn't available to everyone. I guess if you go to school and get a bachelors degree in a discipline and the job market offers you $25,000 a yr. and you owe $60K in college loans how much further ahead are you ???? Just because one goes to college and acquires a degree doesn't make you BETTER than the guy making a car part at Delphi or GM whom acquired a SKILL with either company sponsored on the job training and classes, or a certificate at a trade school.
    Both (Bachelors and new job skill) should be rewarded respectively.

Alot of my friends who have college degrees don't even practice in their discipline. If they got a job out of their discipline, are you saying they should still get handsomely compensated because they got a piece of paper saying I went through 4 years of college, but I never worked anywhere in my life ??????

I've seen in my short life of 27 years, people that had Mommy and Daddy pay for their college and never worked a real job, except maybe mowing mommy's lawn. ;) They just simpily went to college and got drunk 3 or more times a week and showed up and did some homework. If I was a employer, I would want someone with real life working expierence. I'd promote or enhance the guy working his or hers tail off at my company, not some young whipper snapper fresh out of college that doesn't understand what's going on at the bottom level. I think this is why General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, and corporate america was also so sucessful in the past because ordinary Joes would get promoted to high level positions eventually if they were willing to go the extra mile and take company paid college and training. ;)

However we can agree to disagree which is fine by me. ;)

Respectfully,

Rocky
  • corvettefan427corvettefan427 Member Posts: 92
    First off the Buick is an American car, where does the money go? To an American company. Furthermore, just because the guy who ran you off the road was in an American automobile, what does that have to do with whether you should buy American cars or not? I've had plenty of stupid drivers who have almost caused me to get into accidents driving many different makes and models of cars.
    Would buying a Saab since it's 100% GM owned be buying an american car. Just want your opinion since I've contemplated it a few times. :)

Rocky
    Obviously for your sedan you have not considered a saab 9-3, a company that is entirely owned and built by GM.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Why do we assume that autoworkers are lazy?
    And that managers and marketers aren't?
    That wont happen because the import brands will always have a market in their country of origin, where consumers tend to only buy vehicles produced by their own countrys automakers.
    I take it as a insult. My father and relatives are genuine, hard working, good patriotic americans, that happen to work for GM/Delphi. Most have college degrees or skills acquired from comapny sponsored classes to learn new skills. Yes their are a few bad apples in every pot. Not just GM. I've worked places where people got raises based on merit. Brown nosers always got more merit raises and happen to be the least productive. I won't go there since it makes me still angry. ;)

Since GM workers don't have to get raises based on brown nosing then they are looked down upon by some I guess. Maybe that's where all the hatred comes from ????? :confuse:

Rocky
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    "First off the Buick is an American car, where does the money go? To an American company."

There's an outdated way of looking at things... Check Wall street for that answer...

So if it's a GM built in Mexico, that's OK? But a Honda built in Ohio by NON-japanese labor is wrong???? :confuse:

Keep touting the good ol' Garbage Motors all you want. Doesn't make a BIT of difference to me or any other person who chooses otherwise. Not YOUR money to spend, not YOUR decision...

"Furthermore, just because the guy who ran you off the road was in an American automobile, what does that have to do with whether you should buy American cars or not?"

:confuse: That's not my reason for buying what I've bought. And if you follow my posts on Edmunds, I have given props to where necessary (Fusion triplets, Chrysler, Saturn Sky, HHR...) Doesn't mean I am going to defect to "domestic only" because you said to...

Once again, Welcome to a FREE America, enjoy your stay...
  • pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    50 years ago we were sold the American Dream as we watched TV. We ran after it.
    They were too poor, disadvantaged or enslaved by totalitarian regimes to prosper.
    Today, 50 years later, they have seen the dream on some tv somewhere and are running after it full speed.
    We are complacent, overweight and visionless and preparing enslavement.
    Couldn't have been put better.

Incidentally, most of the 'treaties' and global trade mechanisms like WTO were proposed, set up and created by the developed nations. The idea was definitely very self-serving. The developed nations would export all the industrial goods into the nations without industrial infrastructure and make money.

Today, CocaCola China buys water there, sets up and sells Coke there and the profit is pocketed in the US. Intel makes processors in Taiwan, sells them in India and pockets the profits here. Same goes with McDonalds, Levis, Apple, Microsoft, GE and wait, GM and Ford too. GM and Ford make the completely anti noises when they operate in other countries. There they cry for greater access for foreign companies and less domestic protectionism.

That is the beauty of globalization, as expected by the multinationals (mostly US based). However, as Morpheus said in Matrix, fate it seems wasnt without a sense of irony. That labour could be made a commodity just like industrial goods never figures in the calculation of developed countries I guess. And that is hitting back with a vengeance.

The Pandora's box is now open. Unless auto workers here prove that they are somehow way more skilled or productive than autoworkers elsewhere, wages and lifestyles will continue to converge.

And as far as the American debate goes, this country is currently running a current account deficit. That means we are consuming more than we make and someone is funding that. Someone who is not American. In other words we are living on borrowed money. If buying American on borrowed non American money makes someone feel awesome then well, good for you.

50 years ago we were sold the American Dream as we watched TV. We ran after it.
    They were too poor, disadvantaged or enslaved by totalitarian regimes to prosper.
    Today, 50 years later, they have seen the dream on some tv somewhere and are running after it full speed.
    We are complacent, overweight and visionless and preparing enslavement.
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    as long as it does not require a special degree, training, etc..
    I posted a response earlier, but took it down(even though no one told me to).
    Why? Well, I am trying not to be a nasty individual on here, or get banned.

I will say this: Big3, International DO NOT hire direct hire unless you know someone, a relative, at thier plants.
    That is call Nepotisim, NOT COOL.

Honda, on the other hand, is expanding their Ohio plant, and advertised in the local papers, and No Pre-requisites(like, is you mom, uncle, brother working here).

What's more American? A company that refuses to let ou fill out an application, unless mom works there, or a company that has Open Door Policy! Open Door Policy, to me(A disabled American veteran).
    When I need a hand(a good job) in 95, when jobs were plentiful, i was told to take a hike.

That does not mean I still would not consider a Big3 vehicle, despite them refusing to let me try for a job cleaning their restrooms, even.

PS: I THOUGHT WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GET OFF OF THIS ATTACK EACH OTHER NONSENSE. NO ONE READ ANYMORE?
    PT already said.......Let's(including me) try to follow rules, cool?
    ;)
    I just got tired of people going crazy on here for paces that refuse to hire you unless you have connections on the inside.
    :mad:
    And like I said, there prerogative to hire that way. they do the same at a drink/candy company , local company.
    Heard they had a job, through the grapevine. I went, asked if they needed a driver, and they said we aren't hiring"... I told them who sent me, and said, "yeah, we're hiring, but you got to know someone here who is a driver already for us" , and then they tried to smooth over their reply, etc.
    I just left. Small towns are notoriously bad about Nepotism/friends and family only. :mad:

I went to school, Business degree, 2 years, emphasis on Commercial Arts. No jobs. Even had VA looking for 1 year.

So, guess janitor job is good enough for this DAV. :confuse:

It is bad when a small company does not hire due to Nepotism, but large companies, auto and truck companies, etc.... :confuse:

Anyhow, GM owns Daewoo, along with Suzuki(owns 14.9%, and some Chinese company owns like 9%?). So an American and a Japanese company each sell S Korean cars now.

That should tell the story about "what's American" these days.
    Nepotism, used to be the good ol' days. Now they try to hire dumb people who shouldn't be qualified to work at McDonalds, let alone GM. The reason why they used to hire people that had to know somebody was a mutual trust between current employee and company. The company assumed that if they hired Joes, relative they would get a good employee that really wanted to work their. Joes relative would have some insight on the job before he took the job.
    I can understand your frusteration if you don't have inside connections. I've been blessed to have this once happen to me. Both the company and I were obviously happy with the outcome. ;)

Rocky
    thanks 4 explaining that. I had just thought that maybe a guy with nearly 11 years of military service could get a job, other than at restaurants, or janitor jobs, or Wal-Mart.
    :confuse:

Here we go digressing again, off the subject.

I will stop here.
    Later.
    DAV
    83-94
    DAV,

I'm sorry you can't get a good job after serving 11 yrs. in the military. That's ashame. How old are you ??? What branch of the military were you in ???? Would you be interested in a para-military job ???? I would like to know if you have a degree or skill in a certain discipline ????

I might beable to help you because of your military service. ;) I got a possible job for you if your willing to move to Amarillo, Tx (West Texas) area or atleast a lead depending on your background. :)

Lemme know if your interested
    If so I will list my e-mail address
    Rocky
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    I think the best way to get a college education is to work for a company that will sponsor one to go to school.

Outsource it. Go to India, where you can get a very decent education for a lot less. And, those degrees are recognized in this country.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Hokey smoke, Rocky! You're right on! What the heck good is an education if you have no skills? Nobody gives a darn how many Shakespeare sonnets you know. I think I'd rather my kid go to trade school to learn to be a plumber or electrician. Heck, I know few people who are going to call some guy in China to fix their toilet.

When I went to school, kids did far more partying than studying. I went to one college reunion and it was quite obvious I did better than any of them. One former classmate was living in a trailer park. Shoot, even when I first got out of school I found it tough to get a job. I was driving a taxicab for the first six months following school. I also worked a variety of jobs for 80+ hours a week that would've made a poultry plant worker's job seem prestigious. I was wondering, "I went to school for this?"
    Kids, a college degree isn't the magic bullet it once was!
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Today's bachelor's degree is our grandparents high school diploma. Hell, sometimes I think I should have gone into plumbing or HVAC or something, I'd probably make more than in my office job.

On another note, I saw someone saying they "bought American" when they bought an 8 year old Saturn. They didn't seem to understand that buying a USED American car doesn't help the market. This person is also a shrill pseudopatriot, FWIW.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    "They didn't seem to understand that buying a USED American car doesn't help the market. This person is also a shrill pseudopatriot, FWIW."

I went to a Nissan dealership to get parts for old Sentra. One of the guys there tried to get me in a 350z. His last attempt to convince me was "the economy needs it!"

Sorry. I went to college and did study something useful (and hard... I regret partying so little), but the payoff isn't immediate.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Sounds exactly like how American factories were back between 1880-1920's.

And it only took child labor laws, unions, and actual enforcement of the law to fix it...

Any bets on whether the 'worker's paradise' of Communist China will do the same for it's workers?
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    I went to the Chevy dealer and paid $41.40 for a power window switch for my '85 Silverado. So I guess I helped the market, in a very small way! :shades:
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Hey, I swear by GM "synchromesh" in my gearbox on my S2000. It shifts like "butta"...
  • phastphil1phastphil1 Member Posts: 24
    Hey rockylee, why is a union so important? Most of the unions seem to have as much corruption as some levels of government. Honda has been building products in this country for 30 years, and I would say that they are doing something right if your glorified UAW can't get voted in. Have you toured a Honda plant? everyone wears the same uniform and the floor workers are involved in the quality process for the cars. I know they are not union, but the wages and benefits are competitive with the union plants. Another point is your parts content on the window stickers. Your Accord was closer to your 85% number than you think. Members of congress have said that the language in the bill to determine the parts content is so flawed. it wouldn,t pass the truth in advertising laws. Ever notice that the content doesn't add up to 100%? Take the missing percentage and add back in to domestic content most of the time. Is the GTO a true domestic? Built in Australia with minimal domestic content. How about the V6 engine in the Saturn VUE, where does it come from? Who makes it, or would you rather not say? Since it is made by Honda for GM, should it count as a foreign part? Even if it completely made in the US. Let's take good old Harley Davidson. I live near York Pa where one of there plants are. You should see all the boxes of parts that come from overseas. Yes even some Honda parts find their way into Harley's. Showa is Honda's suspension company, and Kehein carbs are also part of the Honda family.
    hey, thanks for the offer. Spouse won't move. Tried to get her to go to Va Beach, Virginia area(jobs a plenty, 3.8 % unemployment vs 6-7% for my area). Her family is here.

I am trying to finish(one class left, 16 weeks this Spring) Commercial Arts classes( work for news papers developing advertisements, or magazines, but they tend to want under 25 years old age group).

me? I am over 4 decades old. Too old to rock and roll(supposedly) and too young to die(isn't that a line in a 70's rock tune?) ;)

I was a cook in the USCG, and a Boatswains Mate in the Navy.
    Also took some accounting classes( 2 of them) in USCG(like a quick accounting for dummies, sort of ;) )

I had a chance for one job, but the lady refused to hire me because I live about 40 minutes away( could have been the head cook for an assisted living nursing home in an expensive part of the area)... could have made 26K(10 years ago)... per year.... lady called back 2 years alter, and wanted me to work for her, and when she found out we only moved maybe 12 miles closer..... never returned my call about the interview :mad:

my spouse drives 130 miles a day for work, and father in law 150.....house is almost paid off, and they can't get anything for same price closer to where he works, these days, so he gets used vehicles, and runs em into the ground in 3 years, and buys more used.

Sorry to prattle....
    yes, i should have done like my 55 year old neighbor down the road(still may do it after i finish my 2 year degree this Spring).... try to get in JVS(Junior Vocational School) for 6 weeks for basic welding. He is making 11 per hour, works m-f, off all holidays and weekends, and is doing ok. Not as much money as when he worked at Corningware plant, but he is better off than doing the Wal-Mart shuffle. ;)
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "How about the V6 engine in the Saturn VUE, where does it come from? Who makes it, or would you rather not say? Since it is made by Honda for GM, should it count as a foreign part?"

Interesting you bring up the Saturn VUE. Apparently, the 2004 Saturn VUE with the HONDA engine had a HIGHER domestic parts content than the 2003 Saturn VUE with the GM engine.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4021986

The Honda engine is built in Ohio. The GM engine was built by GM of Europe. I wonder which is 'better' for America.
  • tmp888tmp888 Member Posts: 20
    I don't believe the foreign automakers keep their profit in US. In 2004, Toyota made about US$5 billions in US alone (Honda and Nissan were not far behind) and last year (2005) I guess they would made about the same or probably more. I wish that kind of money stay in US. Don't you?
    I told ya'll I don't do manual labor in my union job. My education and skills are taught on the job, and I have a certificate. ;)

Rocky
    Well in my line of work you can't go to a ordinary yuppie university to learn my job. I work for the government and that's as far as I can go with it.

Rocky
    Actually yeah it is......I don't resent a person going to school if it's going to be worthwhile. If you go to school for 4 years or more and come out making $20-25K a yr. How long is it going to take you to pay back those loans ?????
    Especially if you went to a big university, you could have $80K+ tied up into loans. If that's the case, then that person is the uneducated one with a collge degree. ;)

Rocky
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Well, if you work at Ft. Meade, I may run into you someday.

:P
  • AG11AG11 Member Posts: 31
    It's stuff like what you just stated that convince me that Buying American does not necessarily equal buying GM/Ford.

Those with vested interests at GM/Ford or their stocks, as well as fans of domestics, will forever try to convince everyone that Ameican = GM/Ford, but I think this is no longer the mainstream belief, at least where I'm from.

Jobs are jobs. If Toyota, Hyundai, etc are building cars here with ever increasing domestic content, we win.

If GM/Ford close factories here due to boneheaded business decisions, or move production to Mexico, or decrease domestic content, we lose.

Some profits may go back to Toyota, Hyundai, etc's respective countries, but strong economy for our allies help us too. Dont forget, it's not like Japan, SKorea, and Germany are our enemies!

Also, Toyota, Hyundai, etc need us, the US consumers, to be prosperous for them to sell us cars. It's in their interest to make sure US stays strong.