Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Will classic design save GM, Ford and Chrysler??

2»

Comments

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    "I checked out my Mustang spotter guide"

Your what??
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    'I checked out my Mustang spotter guide'

"Your what??"

That's right! :surprise: Hey, I love the heritage and given how long they've been in production, there's a lot of changes to keep track of... :)
  • reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    Mustang spotter guide, Wow!, I have got to get me one of those, does it download to the Palm™ ........ :shades:
  • chicagodrive1chicagodrive1 Member Posts: 64
    Isn't Ford bringing the Euro-Focus over here?

They could slap on a Pinto badge and stick on round head lights to bring back this infamous nameplate.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I still like the '69 "Last of the Interceptors" Ford Falcon they had in Australia. The current XR-8 Falcon they sell down under is a rocket. I got to rent one while visiting relatives last summer. Boy, Ford would have been better bringing that over here to replace the Taurus rather then making the Frusion.
    Link: http://www.ford.com.au/range/falcon/models/xr8sedan.asp

But remember the exchange rate Australia $1.00 / US $0.50. So a vehicle that would be $51,000 there would be $25,500 here. They also still have the Ranchero but it is called the Falcon Ute (and doesn't look half bad either).

Odie
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    and speaking of the Falcon Ute. Ford could bring it over at the same time GM brings over their Holden Ute (El Camino).

Odie
    So uh... anyone else think that Pontiac should receive a pony car and Chevrolet shouldn't?

If they bring back the Camaro, I'm getting back on the "kill Pontiac" bandwagon.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Why kill Pontiac bandwagon ????? I personally am not in total love with the Camaro. I liked the Trans-Am better than the Camaro during the golden years and feel the same now. However the new 2008 GTO isn't the prettiest car either based on sketches but perhaps it will look better in person ????? More Like Kill the Camaro and revive the Trans-Am :P

Rocky
    The existence of the Camaro as a Chevy would make Pontiac pretty redundant as a brand.

If I were in charge, I'd only build the Pontiac version.
    Not if they made the Pontiac brand more of a sport/lux brand. Think BMWish. Chevy could be more rude and crude like Dodge. It takes the cars to change the flavor and distinguish them something GM has yet to do enough of.

Rocky
    Well ok, then Cadillac would be redundant. Or Saturn. Or Saab.

imo, a pony car is exactly what Pontiac should have. It should define Pontiac. That's not gonna work if Chevy has a more well-known pony car of its own.
    The GTO isn't a pony car ? Yes it isn't the perfect design for the GTO. I agree the Camaro will be a hit over the GTO unless GM does build a retro GTO. Is their room enough for a Trans-Am ???? I do have a solution. The G8 become GTO like the 4 door Charger with a retro flavor. Trans-Am becomes 2 door coupe but with retro 60's, 70's, 80, 90's, 2000's styling mixed into a bag. ;)

Rocky
    The GTO is a little bit upscale and mature compared to pony cars. It's for grown-ups, not young dudes. While I like the car, it hasn't added much to Pontiac's visibility.

They haven't finished the Camaro yet, so just design it as the next Pontiac Firebird (or Trans-am, someone explain to me the difference or similarity). Leave the Camaro in its hallowed grave, so that Chevy can remain family-oriented (with souped up versions of family cars, if there isn't an equivalent Pontiac).
    We can have both carlisimo. I can make it work. The new G8 sedan we could call it a GTO. Let Chevy have the coupe and call it Camaro. ;)

G8 could compete with BMW3, Lexus IS, Audi A4, Infiniti G35, Charger etc

Camaro could compete against Mustang, Challeger, G35 coupe, Nissan Z, etc etc

Will it happen that way ? I doubt it. The way it looks is Camaro Coupe, GTO Coupe, and G8 sedan which isn't a bad line-up either.

Rocky
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Why hark back to the first generation? I thought the 1970 1/2 redesign was much better looking. Maybe it overstayed its welcome, lasting through the 1981 model year, of course with 5 mph bumpers added for 1974 and the wraparound rear glass added the following year.
This discussion has been closed.