Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Bronco Problems

Comments

• 82ncmarine82ncmarine Member Posts: 6
    well the most common cause is the "camber" bushings will need to be replaced. it is best to take it to a shop that does alignments.
  • 82ncmarine82ncmarine Member Posts: 6
    the other night i was leaving a club, jumped in my 1992 bronco eddie bauer and turn the key when all i got was the engine turning over. the next day i tested the wiring from the fuel pump and there was no power to the pump except for the gas gauge wire. i also noticed that the ignition control module mounted on the firewall in front of the driverside is missing one of the two screws. could this be the issue of it not firing up?
  • tjgsmithtjgsmith Member Posts: 3
    I have a 94 basic bronco. The brake lights stopped working and now the hazard lights too. Also the blinkers but I put a new fuse in a fixed the blinker. I also put in a new fuse for the brake/hazard lights but it didn't do anything.
    Any ideas? I am a novice:) :shades:

I also need new screws to put the top back on. Where can I buy them? Thanks Tonya
  • cr1985cr1985 Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem this summer, the fuse would short out each time i put the truck into park and then back into gear. there is a short in the steering column. it is near the hazard switch. :)
  • bigblockmanbigblockman Member Posts: 2
    i have had this bronco for 2 years and did me good. but i was out hunting and when i came out of the woods it started bucking and then died. i can get it to start but i can not get the rpm up. soon as i put it in drive and try to give it some gas it dies. i was told it is the timing cuz when trying to get the rpm up it will backfire under the hood. but had someone check it and it is fine and ides smooth. i think it might be my gas presher how can i test it. HELP LOL
  • redraider28redraider28 Member Posts: 9
    This is just a suggestion, because I have a 94 EB with the 5.8L. There's a fuel rail along the intake that supplies the fuel injectors (not sure about the 5.0). There's what looks like a tire air stem. With the car ignition turned on, but not running, so the fuel pump turns on, you can push down the stem and fuel should come out. Make sure the engine is COOL. If no fuel, start by changing your fuel filter then your fuel pump. If the fuel is not your problem, check your plugs, plug wires, coil, and distributor. If you've cracked one or more of your spark plugs with the off roading, it will cause the bucking when you rev the engine.

Hope this helps.
  • afindlyafindly Member Posts: 1
    My 93 Ford Bronco(351/EFI) quit running suddenly while idling .... have replaced the fuel filter. The Fuel Pump "Sounds" normal when turning on key to start, but have not checked further. When trying to start, engine turns over but does not fire. Checked the distributor .... cap and rotor seem functioning ok. Sprayed starting fluid (Deep Creep by makers of Sea Foam) into air inlet ... would not fire. Do you have a check-list of what to try next?? Is there an electronic module at the distributor that could fail & cause this behavior?
  • cool78259cool78259 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 87 ford bronco 5.0 engine.I have replaced ignition, starter and solinoid, I have already gone thru two solinoids. I have measured the voltage on the wire from the ignition going to the s on the solinoid. it reads the correct voltage.if the starter is attached to the solinoid and i bump the ignition the solinoid contacts get stuck, the starter will continue to run. even after the s wire is pulled off.if i have the wire going to the starter disconnected, turn the ignition to on and take the wire going to the starter and bump it on the + battery the truck starts up easily. will listen to any solutions. than you! p.s. battery is fully charged.
    If your rotor and distributor look good, check your coil and spark plug wires. I changed all mine out to MSD (coil, distributor, rotor, wires) and changed my spark plugs while I was at it. Runs very smooth now. If that doesn't work, your computer module could be bad.

Hope it helps.
  • bronco79bronco79 Member Posts: 2
    Hi gang, would anybody have or know where I might be able to get the main engine harness and the main brain wiring harness for my bronco, I have been all over the internet, no luck, thanks.
  • AlsBroncoIIAlsBroncoII Member Posts: 2
    My problem is it kills my battery in 2 days when i hook up my battery i hear the vacume solenoids clicking on the right fender well and there is a relay on the kick panel by the puter and also clicking there is a solenoid on the back of the carb that is clicking what is the possibility a bad ignition switch any info would be appreciated please
  • jutmacjutmac Member Posts: 7
    I have a 93 bronco 5.0. I love my truck but it is always something.
    First i cant get it to start. I moved it in the driveway and when i went out to drive it the next day it would not start. (1) It is getting fire when we checked. (2) when we checked the fuel rail it is getting fuel. (3) we primed it with starting fluid and it still wont catch. It turns over fine but wont start. H E L P! PLZ
    Next it has a hurkey jerkey at about 30 -40 mph.
    Thanks
    POS2,

Mine was doing the same thing. Check out my post #190.

Hope it helps.
    Where is the computer module? Did this start it up AND stop the jerking?
    Will try and let you know what happens
    Thanks for the input
    It is not the computer mod. Checked the rotor, and every thing else and still wont start. HAS GAS> Has fire and gas flow just wont start. It almost turned over and caught today twice but once again it just turns over without catching.
    I am lost. Ether wont even catch it. Should i just set fire to it??
    Any other possibilities that one might try??

thanks
    Red Raider,
    I took all the spark plugs and cleaned them. It started up with a little ether. It runs a little rough though. Why is the MSD parts so expesive. Is there a cheaper alternative to changing all the parts out that you suggested?
    It also has that shudder, herkey jerkey around the time it shifts. Is that fixable. It is around 20 to 50 mph. If i gun it, it takes off fine but when I let off the gas a little it starts to shudder until i give it a steady flow of gas.
    HMMMMMM

Jutmac
    JUTMAC,

Another alternative to MSD would be ACCEL, or you can go back with stock MOTORCRAFT parts. I would change the plugs, wires, coil, and dist. cap and rotor for starters. I prefer MSD for their high-end performance, but whatever you choose, all those parts should be new.

I'm only a shadetree mechanic, but I've had a car that jerked before and I thought it was my transmission. Turned out to be a cracked spark plug......who would've thunk it?

Remember, just because you're getting SOME spark, doesn't always mean you're getting ENOUGH spark. Stock coils put out about 38,000V....the MSD puts out 48,000V.

Hope this helps.
  • stereo_guystereo_guy Member Posts: 1
    i have the computer and complete electrical harness for an 86 with the 302 in it. I bought the truck and put the motor in my 91. kept the interior and engine harness in perfect shape. computer is with it if that will help you. let me know.

jay
  • bronco79bronco79 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Jay, thanks for the offer, but I got it all sorted out, I managed to find the harnesses I needed right here in my home town( got lucky) I was checking out the wreckers and I stopped by one that deals only in fords, and they were unloading a 91 bronco off a tow truck when I got there. So, thanks again, Derek.
  • Bronco_BobBronco_Bob Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1988 bronco II. When the out side temp is below 32 degrees F it fires once and will not start. But when the temp is above 32 degrees it starts fine I have added HEET to the feul it does not seem to be helping
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It sounds like your engine's not getting enough air. Try holding the pedal to the floor (don't pump) when starting and see whether that makes a difference.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • CalExplorerCalExplorer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Bronco 5.8 lit, When i turn the vehicle on the engine roars at idle like it was in a full out drag race RPM's way up at idle. Once I put it drive the engine slowa itself back down, but at stop signs it revs right back up. Any suggestions? The "Check Enigne" light is not on... Help
  • 89blackntan89blackntan Member Posts: 3
    MOST LIKELY YOUR THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR. LOCATED ON THROTTLE BODY AND COSTS AROUND $50.
  • rodney9rodney9 Member Posts: 1
    Ya my bronco is really weird. Sometimes it starts no problem. Sometimes it woult start at all and when i do get it started everytime i shut it off it woult start again for at least a day or so. I've bought a new battery, egnition start box and new distributer cap. I have no clue what the problem is. I just keep on spending money on stuff i dont need.
    I changed out all to MSG....had to wait for taxes to come in....I also replaced the fuel regualtor and the timing was off....now set at 10 degrees.
    All is well except for the herky jerky at 35 mph....it used to only do it at this speed now it does it at whatever speed, unless i trounce on it....it runs good.

HERE IS THE KICKER:
    It does not do it when it is cold. I am sure it has something to do while on a closed loop but when it warms up back to normal...bucks and snorts....any shade tree answers..lol

by the way...thanks for all your past help...and anyone is welcom to reply
    JUMAC,

Glad to hear most of the problems are gone. Did you change out ALL of the spark plugs and also the spark plug wires?

Sounds like we're on a role to getting you running smooth.
    Raider..
    I did change them all out....Like i said though....it only does it when it warms up??
    Someone told me that when i use my tester on the wires and plugs that a fords should show blue spark.....i show orange...any truth to this??
    Everything is MSD. Someone also said it feels like a dead miss in it....do you think there could be a blown valve??/ I would like to know what you think before i do a compression check.

Again...Thanks

Jutmac
  • xdeathbroncoxxdeathbroncox Member Posts: 1
    i have the 91 silver series 5.8. and my 4wd will not kick in. its just the push button one and at first the 4x4 light didn't even com on but my bud told me to tap the little electric engine that locks the 4x4 into place and that might work. i taped it then the light came on but wen i put it into drive u don't hear the clunk and it doesn't go into 4wd. help me out please. im a new bronco owner and i really wanna mess some trails up with this thing. haha
  • khawleykhawley Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 94 with the 5.8 and can't get it started. The vehicle has been sitting for about 5 years and there hasn't been an attempt to start it in at least 2.
    With the ignition on I pushed down on that stem on the fuel rail and no fuel came out. I changed the fuel filter, checked the inertia swith, fuses, and relay.
    I'm thinking it has to be the fuel pump but wanted to see if you had and advice before i went out and bought one.

Thanks!
    As Redraider once told me." I am just a shade tree mechanic" but if you have no fuel coming out of your fuel rail then you have your problem narrowed down. I know it sucks throwing money at them but sometimes you just have to.

On a side note to Redraider....the hercky jercky or "trailer-hitching" effect, as someone put it, turns out to be the torque converter in my tranny. Go figure...I knew my motor was running to smooth for something cheap and simple. HA. Thanks for all your help.

Jutmac
    JUTMAC,

Glad you got it figured out. I had to think about that one and asked a buddy at work. I was going to say start with the simple things.....fuel addative to take care of any BAD GAS, fuel filter, etc. Next would be the speed sensor, or torque converter......one located on your tranny and the other on your differential.

In any case, glad to help any time.
  • yimmiebyimmieb Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know what causes the pick up coils to go bad. I replaced the first one with a new one from auto zone. it started right up but didn't run 100% and lasted 2-3 weeks and let me set. I replaced it again with a new one from auto zone. This one started right up but ran poor, missed & cut out, the tach would also fall to zero when it was miss firing. It ran worse on a hard pull in overdrive. I was told to replace it with oem, I did and it ran great even in O.D. on hard pulls. it was in about 3 weeks and today it let my son set. When I try to start it the tach makes one jump and falls to zero staying there while cranking. I know if I replaced it again it would start right up, and while cranking the tach would go up to 200-300 rpm's before starting.Any ideas what keeps killing them?
    My 1988 Bronco II was running fine when the engine began to lose power almost like a plugged fuel filter. The filter was pretty full so I changed it and then it ran for a week (about 100 miles) then it did it again it stopped 5 minutes after starting it. I messed with it for awhile that it started running again it ran down the highway for ten minutes the it stopped again. The weather was about 70 degrees and sunny so it is not freezing up. The took off the line at the filter and there is fuel there. then I took the line off the fuel regulator there was no fuel there. The only thing I can think of is the high pressure fuel pump. It that what it acts like when it goes out?
    I did it and it worked purfectly thanks
  • shifty01shifty01 Member Posts: 1
    i ran it without exhaust mostly idoling for about 10 mints and it started to run ruff...i put on an exhaust and it still ran bad...it makes a popping noise on the left side of the motor not quite a back fire but like it's a dead miss...it does it when i give it gas to...like it's gettin choked out on 1 cylander...i think it might be a burnt valve but would like more opinions
  • 94broncohause94broncohause Member Posts: 1
    94 Bronco 143K never any major problems, All of a sudden has a problem getting it started. Acted like it didn't want to start but after holding the gas pedal down it come to a shaky start. :mad: After getting it going act like it wont acclerate, shakes almost like it getting no gas. That day began to run fine no more problems after driving around for about five minutes. Now it hard to start and has problem accelerating. It will only accelerate very very slowly then almost bog down if I press the gas down hard at all? I think it is some kind of fuel problem please help?
  • zekefairlanezekefairlane Member Posts: 1
    I OWN A 1984 FORD BRONCO AND I'M TRYING TO FIND LEGAL EXHAUST SYSTEM WITH HEADERS. I FOUND A LOT OF PLACES THAT SELL HEADERS THAT ARE NOT STREET LEGAL.EVERY PLACE THAT I CALLED SAY THAT NOBODY MAKES THEM.
    PLEASE HELP ME!
  • classiclo1959classiclo1959 Member Posts: 3
    Hello deb34,
    I have an 88 Bronco II and had the same trouble. Fortunately, a freind was a mechanic and told me about a part I did not know existed on my Bronco. Right behind and below the rotar is a small chip, like a stick o RAM memory. It fastens in with a small screw and slips out. It cost about $245 at Ford, but I was able to locate 1 at a salvage yard for $20. It takes a short, 3" screw driver to get to it. Removal of rotar is not required, but may make it easier. Once I replaced that all the problems went away. It is unfortuante that I spent all the money on the other parts!!

classiclo1959
  • classiclo1959classiclo1959 Member Posts: 3
    Just yesterday I started having a problem with the original starter on my 1988 Bronco II. The bendix or solenoid does not seem to kick out when it should after vehicle starts and runs on for a short time. Is this the starter itself, or the solenoid on the right fender?

classiclo1959
  • howard31howard31 Member Posts: 2
    Where can I get a transmission?
  • sabroncsabronc Member Posts: 1
    Hi, need help in South Africa.
    We own a 1993 Ford Bronco. The electronic speedo has started giving problems. It sometimes works and then not. I have spoken to a couple of auto electricians here but they do not have an idea how to fix it, any suggestions? Have to do quite a far trip with it soon and really do have to fix it.
    PLEASE HELP!
  • seterseter Member Posts: 5
    I'm having a lot of trouble putting together my E4OD from my '93 Bronco. Everything checks out and is put together right, but everytime I bolt in the front pump, the whole works locks up and won't turnover. It would seem that something must be up too high, but I can find nothing wrong. Has anyone else had this trouble? What am I doing wrong?
  • leonidas3leonidas3 Member Posts: 1
    1993 Bronco EB 5.8 E4OD. I'm lost. If I sart up my Bronco and put it in drive it will drive for about 5 miles just perfect. Transmission shifts smooth, everything is great. After about 5 miles when I come to a stop and then try to move forward again it will not shift out of first gear. If I shut it down and let it cool off it will drive normal for another short distance. I have changed the transmissoin fluid and filter and was about to put in a whole new transmission until yesterday when someone with a 1996 Ford Bronco told me they were having a similar problem and fixed it by changing a sensor?
    Any Ideas?
    I went down to the auto parts store and they priced a speed sensor? solenoid sensor? throttle position sensor?
    to be quite honest, I don't have a clue!
    any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks.
  • wpgjuggalowpgjuggalo Member Posts: 1
    hook up a fuel pressure guage and watch it... Chances are the high pressure pump located on your frame rail is toast. It will run while it is cold but once the pump heats up it will fail...
    Worked good Had low pressure changed the pump runs like champ
  • dennisfbdennisfb Member Posts: 1
    96 Bronco 200k absolutely identical symtoms to what you describe. Were you ever able to fix yours and if so how did you do it? Any help will be appreciated.
  • seterseter Member Posts: 5
    I would like to know the resistance specs on the coolant sensor for a 93 Bronco 5.8L. Can anyone answer?
  • blueeddiebauerblueeddiebauer Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 94 full size EB Bronco 5.8 4x4 with only 69,000 miles. I've noticed that when I accelerate at full throttle from a stop it will lag, almost slow before it shifts to second. Not like slipping, but like it is being held back. This is annoying me.

Also, there is a kind of loose u-joint feeling when stopping and taking off, but it does it three or four times each time. :confuse:
  • rcbasherrcbasher Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1993 Bronco with a 302 that is usually very reliable. This morning it was doing fine on the interstate cruising along at about 70. When I got stopped at the exit it acted like the throttle was stuck, idleing around 2000 rpm. Didn't need to use much throttle to get the rest of the way to work. Once put in neutral revved even higher. Cut motor off and restarted idled fine but had a little miss. Cut motor off again and restarted and idled normal. When I left work now it won't even start. I'm getting spark from the coil. Don't know what to check next? Any ideas.
  • rcbasherrcbasher Member Posts: 2
    My truck started the next morning. Bought a code reader and it was the throttle position sensor and the egr position sensor. Changed both and runs like a champ.