Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota/Lexus transaxle shift delay

12346»

Comments

• hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    The technophobes are starting to repeat themselves. It seems they're back where they've already been. That often happens when folks get lost in a maze with no road map, or when they ignore others offering assistance.
    They just go madly off in all directions--which is exactly what's happening here ---again!
    All kidding aside, several times already you guys were pointed to the accellerator pedal position interface as something to examine. A couple of times by someone who seemed to know a little about it (in the old hesitation forum) and then by yours truly when I cutpasted one of those earlier suggestions for you just recently.
    Every time the suggestions were either sluffed off as not relevant, or just ignored. Mostly ignored. Suddenly it's the latest greatest theory of all--for 5 minutes. Does that mean if it isn't your idea it's not worth a look?
    Or maybe if enough theories get tossed into the air, one of them is bound to land closer than the others?
    Well, I think (hope) you may have at least part of the puzzle in front of you again, even though it was right there all along. Don't be so eager to brush it off this time. Stick with it for more than 5 minutes, at least.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    IMMHO the BIG mistake, horrible mistake, John Kerry made when the opposition was accusing him of flip-flopping was not standing up and saying:

"yes, absolutely, I'm the worst (BEST?) flip-flopper there is. When I learn new information about some issue and it is timely to do so I re-think my position, and when and if it becomes appropriate I revise my position/opinion."

Personally I have read over the information in the shop/repair manuals several times in the past, what, six months. But it was only day before yesterday that I noticed the anomaly between the VPA signal level tolerance and the fact that that tolerance might well put it outside of the factory documented operational parameters.

Has Toyota missed that for all this time also?

Maybe so.

Maybe they have been looking at the wrong problem. The "normal" "protect the drive train" designed in engine/transaxle delay/hesitation, and not even realizing that there is a RARE ABNORMAL one.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    I agree WWEST is all over the place.

I believe I was the one who suggested a long time ago a non-linearity with the accelerator pedal. ;)

anyway, based on WWESTs recent post, I'm suggesting a very easy experiment to see if ignition/starter on calibration of the zero-demand for the pedal might be at play.

don't label me please, and don't claim adding a "just kidding is sufficient". i work in a pretty technically rich domain and am no technophobe.

and please, ADD something helpful rather than being critical of the posts. unless of course you're trying to get this thread shutdown like the other. you're doing a fine job.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The best way to keep things running smoothly around here is to remember the Golden Rule...don't personalize your comments..."attack ideas, not people"....if you find your fingers typing things like "your problem is that you are a _____", that's asking for a fight.
  • grandaddygrandaddy Member Posts: 66
    I wonder if it is possible that some people get paid to post on this forum. If this is indeed possible, I then wonder how they are paid. It would be my opinion that they must be paid by the WORD and not by the number of posts. What a horrible way to earn your daily bread this would be.

If this were the case it would account for any post you might see that just went on and on in circles, mindlessly repeating the same message over and over and over and....
    Well that's the very type of post that doesn't work!
  • hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    So I'll just respond to all:

Mr. Shifright:
    User777:
    Wwest:
    Grandaddy?:

One more try--no funny stuff this time. (I am now patently aware you guys have no sense of humor!!)

Mr. Shiftright.
    Geez, I really was just trying to be lighthearted and at the same time get a message out. Honest!!
    Please accept a sincere apology.
    Sorry I PO'd you all--it wasn't supposed to be that way--I guess it came across wrong.

For the record User777, I am as interested as anyone here in getting to the bottom of this mysterious hesitation issue!! Please, believe me.
    I am not trying to get the forum shut down!!! (That was kinda unfair of you to say that--almost like when you tagged me as a Toyota employee--but given your impression of my post, I guess I can't blame you for feeling that way. I really didn't know or think the word technophobe was derogatory)
    I have some info on your test idea if you aren't too incensed toward my input. Perhaps later?

Guys, what I was trying to say was if you ever want to get to first base in this quest, you should really consider a more structured approach.
    Instead, you seem to be directionless--wandering all over.
    That was why the "Madly Off In All Directions" comment.

Wwest--your theories are excellent. Your spontanious creativity is really impressive. There's a place for that. But please, try to stick to one thing for a little longer because bouncing a flood of ideas around tends to throw things off kilter. Be a little left brained for a change, and maybe there could be better progress here. I know it's your forum, and you're entitled to whatever you want, but there could be an end in sight if you give it an opportunity.

Grandaddy--I don't know what I did to rile you up, but it wasn't intentional, if that helps.

Hylyner.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "...left brained...."

Would my wife resent that statement??

In any case a little personal history.

I walked out of Boeing, forever, one night in....aaah...1968, I think. Bummed around for two years, two jobs each of about six months. And then in June of 1969 I hit the jackpot.

Went to work for a company selling Applied Dynamics Analog computers and they had just signed on to sell the NEW Data General Nova 16-bit DIGITAL minicomputer. They needed a field service technician on board and I was IT.

Remember 1970's: "would someone please turn out the lights as they leave Seattle" as Boeing sales went into a serious decline and the layoffs began.

So the company I worked for at the time closed their Seattle office. My wife and I really liked the Seattle area and while there were no jobs available there was "piece-work" available. So I bought myself a Tektronix Oscilloscope, a digital voltmeter, and some other tools of the trade and went to work.

We incorporated the company in 1974.

Basically what happened was that I was so good at my craft, trouble-shooting problems, failures, in computer systems that we were able to use the company's surplus funds to develop our own line of products.

"...But please, try to stick to one thing for a little longer because because bouncing a flood of ideas around tends to throw things off kilter..."

You're not just preaching to the choir, you're preaching to the MASTER!

If you're ever in the Seattle area sometime I hereby invite you to come by and meet a few people that use a "flood of ideas" to help resolve computer systems problems someone may be having, say in the UAE, or even NASA in trying to maintain communications with a space probe over 8 billion miles away.

Google for:

Osprey SETI "pioneer 10"
  • grandaddygrandaddy Member Posts: 66
    Hylyner, my post was most assuredly not directed at you and if it seemed that way I apologize. I enjoy your posts very much. My post was directed at the other end of the spectrum for continuing to post about an issue that may not even exist.
  • billranbillran Member Posts: 113
    If this were the case it would account for any post you might see that just went on and on in circles, mindlessly repeating the same message over and over and over and....

A very astute observation grandaddy. There is no doubt in my mind that there is something going on here. There is no other logical explanation for it. There are posts here with the obvious intent to amplify this topic as much as possible and I can only speculate at the reasons. I find it sad that Edmunds allows it to continue.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Maybe they have been looking at the wrong problem. The "normal" "protect the drive train" designed in engine/transaxle delay/hesitation, and not even realizing that there is a RARE ABNORMAL one.

You are definitely "thinking outside the box" and that is what needs to be done here. I think you may be on to something. This certainly makes sense when you have "my car has no problems", "my car hesitates but it is not bothersome or dangerous", and "my car hesitates 2 seconds or more and is a safety hazard". Keep those wheels turning.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    there's much to be said about non-linear reasoning, and when a problem or solution space is wide, to start wide and shallow before going narrow and deep is a good approach.

to hylyner's point: its also good to stay focused. ;)

i'm listening for your feedback on testing hylyner.

from very near the beginning, i believe alot of speculation as to what was actually occuring could be captured using the OBD-II interface. No one is really hot on that idea, and I don't know why. But the recent suggestion for someone to test to see if accelerator pedal calibration upon startup is a possible contributor is a good one, simple, no cost, and can be done by numerous people.

i personally don't go all over the map - but I don't know as much as WWEST does about these systems; he has all the manuals and has spent time reading them! he's helped a lot of Edmunds posters in other forums. Look and see.

i have a lot of respect for what WWEST and his company does. i've googled him long ago and know we owe him a great deal for remaining in contact with a forward journeying representative of our scientific community.

kudos.
    This discussion is taking a temporary time out, as per previous notices on the subject of constant bickering.

We'll probably start it up again once everyone has taken a good long break.

thank you for your participation, and please enjoy the other discussions, or if you wish, correspond through e-mail or, better yet, set yourself up a personal page at our new feature

www.carspace.com

where you can link to other "friends" and other discussions, and also have your own mailbox there.

best,

MrShiftright
    Host
This discussion has been closed.