Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Volvo S80

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Yes, the manual R rewards good drivers.
    It is far easier to just mash your right foot on the gas pedal.
    For those people, most of whom got the girltronic R, the S80 V8 is a better bet.
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Member Posts: 50
    Well, it's true. I must admit that I have the girly version. Mostly because my wife has to be able to drive it too, and teaching her to drive stick hasn't been as successful as we might hope. So, yeah, girltronic for me. I'm man enough for it (but I wish...).

That said, I did have a wonderfully fun experience the other day... Saw a kid with a new A4 3.2 stick gunning his engine and scooting all around the traffic. Managed to get even with him at a stoplight to test my admittedly automatic R...

...and absolutely blew him away.

I had put it in advanced, of course, and just floored it. Maybe I took him by surprise, and I'm sure that if he knew was really fast with the tranny, he could have beat me... or at least caught up. But, then he chased me down an open stretch at about 100 and couldn't get psat me. Had a great time. Smiles and thumbs up all around. I think he was impressed that a volvo could do that... well, frankly, me too ;-)

SO, it may be an auto, but my R is still fun enough for me ;-) Bottom line, regardless of the specs, is that love my car.

AND, I'm looking forward to my next one if the V8 S80 will be as good or better, with a bit more legroom for my growing kids... Always a balance between want and need!
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    When can we expect some really good lease deals pal ????

Rocky
    The Volvo website. Wow, what a improvement. ;)

Rocky
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=tjMEq-Xh8ig

"Test Drive" of 2007 S80 :shades:

Rocky
    If you want to own the safest, most beautiful sedan with all season capability, this sedan is one of the greatest. This car has some of the best safety features ever invented and if you care about safety you better put this one on your list.

It hasn't left my list of car's I'd buy yet. I'm going to wait and see if some good deals come a long. ;)

Rocky
    I was sitting on the Throne, and was enjoying reading through my new Volvo S80 brochure.

I have a question pertaining to the wood trim. I see that the new S80 has glossy Wood trim that is medium-dark and another wood trim that appears very dark and doesn't have the waxy/glossy coating. Is that my eyes or is their 2 different choices one can get ?

Thanks,

Rocky
    The US cars only come w/ the glossy wood trim.
    Really ????? Wonder why that is ???? I preferred the non-glossy trim myself as it looked way better and more real IMHO.

I'm willing to bet that you can't custom order it without the glossy stuff ? :confuse:

Rocky
    I've seen the flat wood, trust me you are much better off w/ the glossy wood.
    The only other interior I would want is the full aluminum that is available in Europe.
  • travispetetravispete Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone have info re Sirius sat radio? I paid for the Sirius prep kit ($95) as part of the purchase, but dont know how to actually get the service....any help!!!!
    The Prep kit doesn't include the radio.
    That has to be installed by the dealer.
    Usually runs @ $700 ro so.
    If you order the Audio pkg, you get the Sirius radio from the factory.
  • ohhawkohhawk Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2002 S80 T6 that I've owned for the past 4 years. Getting ready to make a change and am wondering about the new S80 w/V8 AWD. Has anyone driven one of the new ones? What might I expect to see as primary differnces between the two as far as driving, handling, noise levels, seat comfort?

Any expected "specials" on this model for current Volvo owners as I will be purchasing not leasing? Do both driver and pass seats offer lumbar?

Thanks.
    I appreciate the advice but the Glossy in pictures looks almost fake. Besides to many cars have glossy wood. The Flat Wood looks waaaaay better IMHO. It looks more upscale and Scandinavian. My former 88' Eldorado had non glossy wood and I liked it.

I just don't understand why we are stuck with just glossy wood ???? What benefits does it have over flat wood besides it might resist staining ???? I don't see why making the flat wood available as a option choice would be such a big deal to eliminate it off our option list ???? I bet the Europeans get a choice. :sick: It's always a one size fits all for us americans. :cry:

Rocky
    Different as night and day.
    The V8 is much faster, more sure footed, better ergonomics.
    The T6 feels bigger, but is actually slightly smaller.
    There is a $1000 owner loyalty incentive right now.
    To each his own
    Well as powerful as you are I figured I could get mine customed built with Flat wood. :P

Rocky
    I'm so powerful, I had the Flat wood option squashed for the US market :D
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    And we thank you for that, Volvomax!

Can you tell me who makes the transmission for the V8 model - Aisin? ZF? Just curious...
    Aisin.
    Same tranny that is used in the XC90
  • doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    Volvomax, forgive my ignorance, but please tell me who is Aisin?

Ordered a V8 yesterday and hope for it in 3-4 months. Am looking foreward.
  • kalskals Member Posts: 4
    Aisin is a division of Toyota. They supply transmissions to many non Toyota brands. For example the VW Toureg has a Aisin 6sp transmission.
    Congrats on the S80.
    Aisin is a japanese company that is a long time supplier of transmissions for Volvo.
  • capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    If Volvo dealers are as dead as this board for the new S80, it doesn't look good for this model. Volvomax, or other lurking sellers...how's it going? What is propelling, or more likely, retarding, the market take on the new 80?
    Going ok so far.
    We sold 6 S80's in March.
    The ad campaign finally got revved up in March, we also now have product, which we didn't before.
    It is a crowded segment, you have Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes and SAAB.
    Well, the May Car and Driver article which lambastes the car,wont help. You may want to buy up and burn all the copies. I feel bad. I was a loyal three in a row new Volvo driver since 1998. Great dealer 1 mile from my home.Really wanted to like and get the new S80. But the underwhelming drive, the over the top pricing, the horrific resale value of my past rides,and the nerve of my dealer to try and extract top dollar for the car turned me off forever. Troubled brand. Hope the c30 kicks it in, but they better price it right
    The S80 isn't C&D's cup of tea.
    It is not a track car.
    They actually liked the things it does well, ride comfort, power.
    But, they want a car you can take to the track, anything less they will lambaste.
    They do it all the time.
    Volvo sold over 1300 S80's last month. To put in perspective M-B sold 1700 E-Class cars.
    The car is a good car, and a good value for people who approach it with an open mind.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    May I suggest that you flip a couple of pages in the same issue and compare S80 with the E320 BlueTech and E350. You might find out that setting author's "feel-shmeel" aside, the S80's performance related numbers are actually pretty-pretty good.
    Yes, the numbers are pretty good, and the car drives pretty well. I drove both the 6 and v8 awd twice. Pretty good car. 240HP, FWD, safe, uncluttered. Not many people looking for that at close to $50K, but I'm sure it will sell pretty well. Once the massive discounts kick in.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    V8 FWD is a joke IMO. Also anyone looking to go upscale needs to have AWD or RWD in em. I doubt they'll take them seriously with FWD. Kind of econobox aura about a FWD V8.

-mike
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    psssstt... what are we talking about? there is no FWD V8 in the S80.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It's RWD? Didn't realize that, my bad!

-mike
    the V8 is AWD.
    Oh so it's FWD based then? Transverse engine with most power going to the front?

-mike
    good Q and one i've been meaning to post on the list to ask. Is the AWD system in the S80 the same - what did they call, it "precharged" system -- they put in the XC90 and S60R a couple of years back? (I have the 05 S60R and it's mostly FWD from what I understand...that said, it does stick to the road beautifully...i have absolutley no complaints except that i go through tires pretty quickly ;-)
    The V8 is AWD, but FWD biased...to the tune of 95%. So it's like a Jaguar X-type. The only reason they did AWD was to mask FWD underpinnings and make it remotely acceptable to the market. The S80 3.2 is FWD...and dives, wallows and squats accordingly at speed. Not remotely a contender versus similarly priced asian/ euro RWD luxo competitors. Mind you, I've owned three straight Volvos, including an S80 T6. I'm not bashing, I'm just hugely disappointed in the brand and this model in particular. And weighing in on the business case and sales potential for this car. I don't begrudge anyone for buying it.