Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Volvo S80

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Capoany, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure. So yeah it's a part-time AWD system with a transverse engine.... Shame.

-mike
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    No, it's full time AWD with the FWD bias. It does transfer more power to the RW as needed during the acceleration. And AWD there is not just to "hide" the FWD, but to provide a sufficient traction during the full throttle acceleration.
    The pre-charged system does not require front wheel splipage, and distributes as much torque to the RW as it needed (up to 50/50, I think). although I've seen number as high as 65-70% by actual measurements on dynamometers.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Not remotely a contender versus similarly priced asian/ euro RWD luxo competitors.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what those are.

BMWs and Benzes are too expensive. The RL has no V8. Seems like the infiniti M class is about as close as it gets. And even that starts a few grand more, right?

By the way, I just finished reading C&D's review this month. Man, did they bash it. I still think they really miss the price argument, though. They mentioned in one sentence how it gives a real nice V8 at competitors' V6 prices, but I guess that didn't impress them enough to give the car any sort of credit for value. oh well.

they even go out of their way to point out how a Jag Stype 4.2, which finished last in a luxo comparison a little while back, would still finish ahead of the S80 .... ummmm... guys, that Jag starts at $10k more!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    My sense is that once people approach the $50K threshold, which even to someone of means is still a lot of money, they don't want to rationalize, compromise or explain. They want what they want. MB/Audi/BMW/Lexus/Infiniti...pretty clear as to what they are and where they fit in the driveway foodchain. S80 needs a lot of rationalization. Again, just looking at the marketing challenge. I'm eager to see the sales figures at years end.
    Here is the thing. I work with the BMW/MB/Lexus/Infinity/Jag crowd. You know the rich folks who are fairly stuffy, go to the golf course, etc. etc.

Once you are up into the price range we are talking about with the S80, saving 10k doesn't buy you anything. At that point for $10k you will gladly buy the more expensive car so as not to be ridiculed at the club. While the S80 V8 may or may not be a great car for the price, it's still a Volvo and it's still not respected in those circles.

Folks in the rung down from the rich folks will buy a "cheap" BMW or MB or Lexus or Infinity or Jag just to have the name plate.

Heck I'm a trader on wall street and one guy on our desk bought a Volvo and he was ridiculed for weeks and months by the BMW/MB crowd. I'm lucky I am an assistant trader so they only gave me a small amount of flack for my Armada and Subarus.

So my point is who are they marketing this to? I find it to be neither here nor there.

-mike
    i feel sorry for the people you describe.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• drebbindrebbin Member Posts: 2
    I'll tell you, I'm not a Wall Street Trader, but I make enough to do just fine. I went from a BMW 330 to '07 S80 this month, and I am 10X happier with the Volvo. And I only got the 6cyl.

Of course, it's a bigger car, which is what I needed, but the BMW 5's and the MB E's were just out of my range. The Audi A6 was nice, but this Volvo won me over.

I got the 6cyl loaded for 45. Metallic silver, sport package, navigation, 18 in. Zubra wheels, heated/cooled seats, audio pkg, bi-zenon... the whole deal... for 45.

Fact is, there is not much in the "in between price-range" between the small 3-series/C-Class/A4 and the larger 5's/e's/a6. After being in this car for a month, I can honestly say that if I could have afforded to go into the 50+ range, I would go with the S80 V8 over the germans. It feels like blasphemy to even type this, because I swore I'd never drive anything but a BMW ever again, I loved them so much.

But on top of the ride, and the comfort and how solid this thing is, I think it is an amazing looking car, and frankly, the 5's and E's especially look boring next to it.
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Member Posts: 50
    Agreed! I love my S60R (05), but I'm looking forward to the S80 when my lease is up. The S60 is perfect for just me, but when all 4 of us get in the car, it's just a bit tight (my kids keep getting bigger!). So, I want the bigger car next time, and the 5s done right are out of my league and the Es are boring (though nice inside...). I picked the S60R over the new 330xi that had just come out - and over the A4, which I had always assumed to be my pick - and over the C which was too much $$$ for what I would have gotten - and I've been thrilled. Nicest car I've ever driven, and I've had a 3-series, and an STS and a few others that I won't mention here because, well, eeew!

I guess there's a market for those of us looking up to the S80 from the Cs and 3s and A4, even if it may not be satisfy those looking down on it from the 7s and Qs and A8s and Ss.

My two biggest problems? Seeing if I can get the V8 (please?) and needing to change my license plate (currently "FUN R" -- "FUN S80" just doesn't have the same ring to it!)
    I'll tell you, I'm not a Wall Street Trader, but I make enough to do just fine. I went from a BMW 330 to '07 S80 this month, and I am 10X happier with the Volvo. And I only got the 6cyl.

Of course, it's a bigger car, which is what I needed, but the BMW 5's and the MB E's were just out of my range. The Audi A6 was nice, but this Volvo won me over.

Oh I'm not talking from a better car or what would make you happier, I'm strictly talking about folks who want a name plate. I can't stand these snobs with their BMWs and MBs who think they are "car" people but are just in it for the name w/o even knowing anything behind the cars. Unfortunately they are the ones spending the money and certain makes can't sell cars up in the luxo price range think Phaeton...great car but who's spending that much money on a VW?

-mike
  • drebbindrebbin Member Posts: 2
    Totally agree with you on that, but I've noticed the s80 marketing campaign has been pretty aggressive. And the look of the thing on an internet ad is was hooked me right off the bat. I hadn't given Volvo a second thought before I saw the ad for it.

But I love the one ad that just shows the black leather back seat, and says "will this car ever witness insider trading?" -- not too hard to figure out the target market for that one.
    nah, from my experience it won't see insider trading. The punky kids want a cheap MB or BMW to impress the boss, the older folks want the S class or 7 series to impress the clients/fund managers at the golf course. Then you get the independent folks like me who just took a 50% pay cut to get out of the biz but after 3 weeks am happier than I have been in the past 4 years of trading!

-mike
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    What's up pal. Ya gotta give me the down low on this new hot ride the new Volvo S80 Adds T6 AWD Variant

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=120713

Will it be available with a stick ? Will it be as fast as the V8 ?

Thanks......

-Rocky
    My guess is no. At least, not in the american 0-60 sense. My gut says it will be about 7 tenths slower to 60, but close the gap a bit in the quarter mile to maybe 3 or 4 tenths.

My reasoning is that the weight difference will be negligible and nearly 300 ftlbs of torque out of a turbo 3 liter means turbo lag, and coupled with an auto trans means there's nothing you can do about it except mash the gas and wait. But, my experience with high-pressure turbos tells me it will really move once up to speed (ie, great passing power), hence closing the gap when the naturally aspirated v8 starts to run out of steam.

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    As has been said, no the T6 won't be as quick as the V8.
    Volvo is projecting a time of 6.9 sec to 60mph.
    No manual will be offered.
    Price point should be @ $4000 more than the 3.2

BTW, I just picked up an S80 V8, and am loving it!
    you bought it?

congrats!

24 mo lease
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Have you no photos to share? For shame! :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Getting some work done on the car.
    Just had the chrome's put on,and I'm getting the tailights smoked.
    I will take some before/after pics for y'all. :)
    getting mods on a lease?
    tsk tsk.
    ;b

Did it on my R,no big deal.
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Member Posts: 50
    N/C is doing great.
    I had a set of chrome wheels put on,and I blacked out the taillights.
    Have over 2,000 miles,no problems.
    Well, except prying the car away from my girlfriend!
  • doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    Just back from my second trip up and down I5 with the new job. What a neat car! The new adaptable cruise control is really neat. It takes a little getting used to--the older ones needed attention as you caught up with traffic and needed to slow to find a way to get around them. With the new one, it slows to a distance you select (mine are getting shorter with experience) and then when traffic clears, off it goes resuming your set speed! Really neat. 4C chassis is also great; soft with usual around town settings, tighter for the road, and really tight for mountains. Makes driving a real pleasure.

Sound system also is great--6 CD's in a rack and great stuff for the ears! Seats are supportive and completely adjustable and it handles wonderfully. V8 responds with prompt power. Holds the road great.

Mileage is not what I got with my T6's but its two more cylinders, so what can you expect.

Very pleased with the vehicle. And it looks great too!

Go try one! doctor dick.
  • snrubsnrub Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed a T-6 3.0 Turbo 281 HP AWD added to the S80' line up, is this to fill the gap between the 3.2L 236 HP FWD & the 4.4L 311 HP AWD V8? Is the 3.0L Turbo a resurrected or new engine, does it have variable valve timing?
    The reason, I'm in the market for a new vehicle, I like the S80, especilally the AWD, but didn't like the big jump in $ & preformance between the 2 models. Mostly Hwy usage & need for power to negociate, not follow along, if you get my gist.
    3.0L turbo uses the same block as the 3.2L SI6.
    Minus the valve timing and the variable intake.
  • delirious_cardelirious_car Member Posts: 7
    I have noticed that some pics have the wood steering wheel while others don't. Is this a model specific thing, an option, a euro version? Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Tyler
    On the 2007's the wood wheel is a dealer option.
    On the 2008's,it can be ordered from the factory.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    I test drove an S80 T6 today. I looked at a V8 earlier this year but concluded that they were a bit spendy and didn't bother driving one.

The Turbo has good torque and moves the car very well. I also liked the sound under WOT acceleration. I would estimate that the overall performance is very similar to my Lincoln LS V8. The Volvo has about 30 HP more but it is heavier and the AWD would eat up some power.

The model I drove did not have the sport package and it rode very well and was very quiet. I really like the vented seats but they are only available with the sport package. I will need to drive one with that and see how it rides and handles. I am not a huge fan of the 40 series high performance tires that come with the sport package - they are often a bit harsh and noisy. I will reserve judgement until I drive one.

By the time I get the options that I think I want, Sport package, chrome wheels, climate package)the sticker is going to be around 48K. I would also want the wood interior package but I haven't seen a price for that. To me, the standard interior is a bit dull.

In any case, I am not sure the car is worth that kind of money to me. It just doesn't strike me as much of an upgrade over my Lincoln LS. Other opinions may differ I am sure.
    We did another SF to LA run to visit grandkids. What a great ride. I continue to be amazed at how easy the adaptive cruise control makes driving on the freeway-- just set it and enjoy! As you come up on someone going slower, your vehicle gradually slows until they move out of the way (or you go around them) and then it accelerates to your set speed and away you go! It even brakes if that it needed, and of course the collision warning system is there in case a slow down is more abrupt than anticipated by the computer. You no longer need to worry about pausing the cruise control or accelerating after the cars get out of your way. Its amazing and much better than I anticipated.

Cabin temperature control remains excellent; the vented seats are really good on those hot drives up the central valley. You still need to switch to recirculate the AC when the temp gets over 90 to keep things comfortable, but that's easy enough.

I was interested in bruclinc's comments #332 on comparison with the Lincoln. I also looked at that car at least on line, but it lacked too many features to seriously consider. One, among many, is self leveling, something I value since we travel on the road with a good bit of luggage, and I hate blinding oncoming drivers. Also keeps your vehicle under much better control. As for cabin appearance, as he says, opinions are personal and differ. I am convinced this is the best car I have ever driven. (Granted my experience is not that of many of you!)

I am reserving judgement on the run flat Pirreli's; I don't like the idea of needing a new tire on a Sunday or holiday and not finding any dealers who can serve you open. So far, other than that they arrived all with 40# of pressure instead of the 36# specified, I can't complain about them. I also discovered that the old Volvo standby of a warning light to indicate a burned out bulb is gone. I haven't had a chance to talk to the dealer whether there is another warning mechanism to replace this, but so far haven't found any in the manual. Also the useful driver's side windshield "clip" to hold parking stubs and such is missing too.

All in all, though, I am more pleased this vehicle the more I drive it.

If your looking you definitely should try it!!
  • twindy1twindy1 Member Posts: 9
    I have noticed some differences between my new S80 and my 2000 S80 and a 'strange' note in the owner's manual. My 2000 has the following:
    * child door lock on the driver's side where you can lock/unlock the door. New car you have to use a screw driver to chnage to lock on the rear door panels. Manual had a note that the driver control for child locks is 'available in some markets.'
    * 2000 had laminated windows to prevent someone from breaking into the car, same not in the manual 'available in some markets.'
    * cabin filter was standard on the 2000, now I don't think my new car has it as I see it is an option? Is this correct?

I have checked the manual and Volvo's web site but haven't found any further information on what 'available in some markets' means or what markets it is available. If you build a car, those options aren't listed. Any information is appreciated. PS, I miss the little holder on the windshield too.
    US Spec S80's never had the electric child door locks.

Cabin air filter is standard.

Sadly,the laminated windows are not offered in the US market anymore.
  • twindy1twindy1 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the reply Volvomax. My 2000 had the electric child door locks, purchased in Texas, not overseas..???
    Do you know why they stopped offering the laminated windows in the US? I really liked that feature. I think the same options should be available in all markets and let the customer decide!
    FAIK, no US spec S80 had the electric child door locks.
    Those locks had a separate switch in the bottom of the dash that only locked the rear doors.
    Laminated glass was dropped due to cost
    Another trip south and back, and cruise control continues to amaze me with functioning. Coming home, I got "information" light and chime, and told that "radar is blocked" see manual. Stopped for lunch, read manual, cleaned radar insert in grill with cold water and wiped clean, and back to normal function.

Adjustable ride also great. Makes mountain driving comfortable as you feel completely in control.

What a great vehicle! rld.
  • mbeagle90mbeagle90 Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in purchasing a Volvo S80. I live in Southern California where luxury sedans are popular, but mostly BMW and Mercedes. I want to get feedback on why I should buy a Volvo over other luxury sedan models.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Umm, because you want one? That's the most important reason of all! :)

There are lots of posts here that may be helpful. You can read through them while you are waiting for some input. Have fun!
    as the host said, what you want is the most important reason.

As far as other reasons, I think probably the 2 biggest are the fact that a Volvo is less expensive than other luxury brands (save maybe Infiniti) when similarly equipped AND that you will be in a more exclusive group (ie, far less S80s driving around out there than 5-series and E-class cars).

Do any of you know how to replace the cabin air filter on the 2007 S 80??

Seems its a bit different from previous S 80's.

Any references would be appreciated. doctor dick.
  • hagop50hagop50 Member Posts: 5
    I started to look for an 05 or 06 T.5, but have not been able to locate one that we like. I am considering a low mileage 07 from a private party. Has the 3.2 been reliable? I tend to keep cars 10+years. Am I better off continuing to wait for the T5?
    Thanks in advance
  • hagop50hagop50 Member Posts: 5
    I would appreciate opinions on whether the push button start/keyless entry is worth getting? I am concerned that it may sound good in the showroom but not be very handy or reliable in the end. Thanks
    To answer both of your questions, I have an 07 S80 V8 that has been near perfect.

We have had no issues w/ the S80 3.2 either.
    Oddly enough, there was a fuel pump issue on the S80 T6.
    For some reason, the fuel line would blow off the pump.
    This was an issue on only a few cars and has been rectified.

I have the full keyless, and I love it.
    Can't imagine having a car without it.
  • jeepownerjeepowner Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2008 S80 T6. The Keyless entry and start is one of the features I really love. It works like a charm.
    The BLIS is also pretty nice for 600$ or so.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Interested in the S80 with the 3.2 I6 and want to know real world gas mileage experience and if anyone runs regular gas. Reading the manual on line it says that 91 octane is recommended but that 87 is okay.
  • jay2001jay2001 Member Posts: 19
    We only put on 1000 miles so far , so maybe the car isn't "broken in" completely, but the milage has been about 20 mpg on regular, in mostly (80%) city driving .
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    My only gripe with any keyless entry and start system is that there should be some user-programmable time-limit or distance-limit auto shut-off.
  • yoko1yoko1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    I am interested in buying used 2007 S80 4.4l AWD.
    SInce it is a first badge, I was wondering if anyone ever experience any issues on the vehicle? Thank you.
    Yoko.
  • cet1stcet1st Member Posts: 17
    How will the tail lights be affective when day light ends with the running lights on? Can you leave the light switch in the"0" position and will all the lights (head and tail) switch into the the night mode. Or would a better choice be - to have the running lights be disconnected through Volvo dealer software, requiring the driver to manually turn headlights on and off.
    There is no "daylight" mode.
    When the lights are on, they are on full power.

Personally, I dislike having the lights on during the day, so I had mine switched off.
  • cet1stcet1st Member Posts: 17
    Is there a spare tire that can obtained for the 2007 Volvo S80-V8 with 18" tires? If so, will it fit into the wheel well in the trunk? Please advise!!