Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2007

Comments

• raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    No iPod connectivity using the iPod data port connector. :( That would not only allow the car stereo to control the iPod but also charge the player at the same time.
  • nmt001nmt001 Member Posts: 124
    I have the 2007 Sentra for about 7 months. I'm satisfied with with everything EXEPT the rough ride. I didn't test drive it thorough enough, like going to roads with rough surface. Soon I found out the the ride on rough road surface is very uncomfortable. Even my passengers comments that the ride is too rough. Then I found out that instead of having rear independent suspension, the 2007 Sentra has torsion beam suspension which is cheaper and not as good in dampening vibration due to rough road surface. Furthermore, the car came with Bridgestone tires which people say are made by Firestone.
    I had a 98 Toyota Corolla before with Firestone tires and the same rough ride problem. After one of the Firestone tires burst on a pothole, I changed all four tires into a medium price brand and the ride became so smooth that it felt like the Corolla had a new and better suspension.
    I asked the Nissan dealer if some 2007 Sentra are sold with tires other than Bridgestone. They told me they are sold with Bridgestone tires only.
    I am not sure if changing the Bridgestone tires in my car will improve the smoothness of the ride like changing the Firestone tires before.
    I will appreciate it if any owners of 2007 Sentra have answers for the following questions:
    1/Did any owners buy the car with tires of another brand that is not Bridgestone or Firestone?
    2/ Do any owners experience the same rough ride problem and what is brand name of their tires?
    3/ Do any owners have acceptable smooth ride and what is the brand name of their tires?
    Thank you
  • btbosbtbos Member Posts: 2
    HI
    Is remote keyless entry something that can be installed after market on a 2.O 2007 Sentra?
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    My 2.0. S has the Bridgestone tires and the ride is great at 32 PSI. Anything over 38 is too much and causes a harsher ride.
    Thank you very much for your advice. I checked the tire pressure and found that it was 36 psi for all four tires instead of the 33 recommended by the manual and 32 recommmended by you. The original pressure could have been even higher seven moths ago.I wonder why the Nissan dealership did not follow the instuction from its own manual.
    Anyway I reduced the pressure to 33 psi and found that there is significant improvement on rough road surface. I am going to reduce the pressure to 32 to see if there is further improvement. But I cannot do it right away as the tire pressure has increased to 36 psi when the tires are still hot from the drive.
    The Nissan dealerships should pay attention to details in their garage services. Besides the inaccurate tire pressure, they also forgot to tighten the cap of the coolent tank in my car during scheduled maintenance, which would lead to the engine become overheated when the hot coolent evaporates. The 2007 Nissan Sentra is a good quality car, the dealership should prevent mistakes that make people think the car is bad.
    I agree with you.

When buying a car, the dealership should make sure that the car is delivered with the tires inflated to the recommended pressure.

Now, if you are going to travel in hot weather, with a full load and at sustained speeds of 70 mph or higher, by all means increase the tire pressure to at least 36 PSI.

The higher the pressure, the higher load the tire can carry (do not exceed maximum pressure as printed on the tire sidewall).
    32 psi does give a smoother ride.
    Thank you for the additional information.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Question about this: if the transmission's gears are replaced by a belt, is Nissan not engineering the transmission to be not as durable by designing something that will eventually break? Like the timing belt in every car except Toyota? I'm a little concerned and confused that they would create a new maintenance issue.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    Its not a belt in that sense, as its made of a much stronger material. Not sure what exactly as its not just steel either. some kind of alloy I'd guess. so no, the belt breaking isn't an issue. At least not any sooner than any other transmisson would need rebuilt or replaced. If fact, thats what kept cvt's out of larger cars for so long. the engineers couldn't come up with a belt strong enough to withstand the torque and HP of larger more powerfull vehicles.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Excellent, thank you. You know the car makers made a serious mistake replacing the timing chain with a belt, and some, like Toyota, have gone back to the chain. If belt-driven transmissions were in our future, I would give up on automatics altogether!

Thanks for sharing what you know!
  • adalmauadalmau Member Posts: 1
    I found this webpage and according to waht they advertise you can get an aftermarket beeper for the locks in a 2007 Sentra 2.0. I have not ordered it yet, but I am seriously thinking about giving it a try. I also found the same beeper they sell ib Ebay for around $20.00.

The link is
    http://www.keylessride.com/?gclid=CLWI_Z6My44CFQHgPAod-RyDwA

Good luck
  • txn_egl_scttxn_egl_sct Member Posts: 20
    On my previous Sentra, an '01 XE, I switched from the factory Dunlop's to Yokohama Avid Touring's and couldn't have been happier. The Dunlops were toast in 24k miles, the Yoko's had 50-60k when my wife totaled the car, and they were still in great shape. The Yoko's also came with an 80k mile tread life, but still would drive circles around the stock tires. When my '07 needs tires I hope to find something like that set of Yoko's to put on. They are recommended without reservation.

A previous post had someone stating that Bridgestone tires were made by Firestone. The opposite is true, Bridgestone is/was the parent company, and Firestone was one of it's major divisions.

As to the quality of Firestone tires, I worked in the auto industry as the time of the Firestone recall. The tires that were actually affected by the recall was not a huge number. Firestone did however recall ALL of the tires in that model. I had in fact owned a vehicle with those tires equipped the Radial ATX. They were good tires, and I wouldn't worry one bit about owning another set of Firestones again. They still make great tires.

The problem with that situation (the Explorer rollover problem) was partially Firestone, partially Ford, and a lot of the comsumer. Many people were buying SUV's for the first time and they were driving them like they were cars. You can't do that with a vehicle with that high of a center of gravity. To lower the C/G Ford engineering decided to lower the tire air pressure from 32 to 26 psi. This is adequate if the air pressures are maintained properly. Most people don't do this, and can easily on a tire that size be 5-10lbs low on air before they notice. That could potentially put the air pressure at 15-20psi which is way too low. This caused too much heat to be generated, and that leads to premature failure. Ford blamed Firestone, Firestone blamed Ford, but noone blamed the driver for not maintaining the air pressure. The bad PR was everywhere.
  • bearishly4ubearishly4u Member Posts: 38
    I'll keep looking but wonder if I'm in the right place for 07 SE-R aftermarket support news. Love it and looking to play with it.
  • rcusackrcusack Member Posts: 2
    My '07 Sentra 2.0 SL came with Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires. I'm assuming this is what everyone else got also. A few thoughts on the tire: poor wear, loud road noise, sloppy in snow.

I'm considering a snow tire because I have to drive about 50 miles round trip to work everyday. Also, I'd like to make these tires last through next summer. I'm at 21,000 miles and not too pleased with wear so far.
  • rcusackrcusack Member Posts: 2
    I must have done this a dozen times the first week I had the car. I'm known to lock my keys in my car often. I can't stand having things in my pocket as I drive so I usually dump stuff in the passenger seat or console. The Sentra's Intelligent Key prevents me from getting locked out!

Now if I can just get it to cooperate with a remote start.
    I have the same tires on my 2007 2.0. S and after 11k miles I am down to 9/32nds from the original 10/32nds.

At this rate they should last around 70k miles. Not bad at all IMHO.
  • sarge15sarge15 Member Posts: 2
    If you own a 2007 Sentra, how reliable/dependable has it been? Do you have any information for a potential buyer (my wife and I) who actually really like the car but are disappointed by the Sentra's poor reliability history? 2007 is a new design, but no longer-term reliability information is available yet. Any advice appreciated!!
    I saw that you are also considering a Corolla.

Based on my own experience (11K miles) the 2007 Sentra 2.0. S is absolutely reliable and has not required any repairs.

Mileage could be better. I am averaging 32MPG lately on my commute of 40 miles each way including a lot of stop and go. I am averaging 80 minutes for 40 miles so you do the math.

With my previous Toyota Echo (2001) I would average 41 to 42 MPG. I believe a Corolla would achieve close to 38 MPG on the same commute, based on a 1 week use of a rental Corolla. The Corolla is a lighter, less powerful car.

The only complaint I have so far is that the plastics used in the dash and door scratch very easily. A trim piece that surrounds part of the driver side door opening is loosing paint over a 15 inch long area. This is where I touch with my hip every time I enter or leave the car. So this area looks worn like in a 5 year old car.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Fix the Sentra - WardsAuto

Nissan will need to change trim levels and make some exterior changes IMO.
  • nok610nok610 Member Posts: 1
    I'm experiencing a rattling sound either by the dash or the front passenger pillar. It's really annoying, and just curious is it worth taking to the dealer or just fixing it myself?
  • rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    I have a rattle almost all the time in the passenger pillar and sometimes in the driver side pillar. Dealer was clueless. Let us know if you figure it out.
    I have a rattle/flapping sound that I hear most often at about 40mph. It seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. I do hear it sometimes at lower speeds, but not as often. It doesn't seem to be vibration related as it happens on roads that seem smooth to me, but the seat may be dampening the vibrations out. Also I have not noticed it at higher than say 50mph but road and wind noise may account for that. I have not noticed it at less than 35mph or so.

I can't tell if it is an updraft causing the license plate to "slap", it is the trunk lid is rattling on the catch, or if it is something else. There doesn't seem to be anything hanging down loose and the splash guards and spoiler seem tight. I am at a loss on this one.
    My Sentra had faulty welds in the left rear wheel well and it took Nissan 3 weeks to figure out where the noise was coming from.

Thankfully they gave me a free courtesy car for the whole time (not really free because I was still making my monthly payments and not enjoying the use of my new car).
  • kirellishkirellish Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I just bought the 2007 Sentra yesterday. I got the base model, the 2.0.

It was used. I got it with 13,950 miles on it. I paid $13,495 for it, plus tax.

I love driving it so far. Of course, I'm coming from having a 1995 Honda Accord that I absolutely drove into the ground, so maybe my views are a little skewed.

Anyway, I've noticed the rattling noise when you accelerate that people seem to be talking about. It tapers off a lot after you've stopped accelerating.

That seems to be the only flaw I can find with the car so far. I love the exterior design and the interior feels twice as roomy as the Corolla I test drove the same day yesterday.

Does anyone think that $13,500 was a good price for a one-year-old Sentra? Did I pay too much? Thoughts?
    Does anyone know who to disable the AC compressor when using defrost?

On another forum I read a "hack" to disable de AC compressor. As running the AC increases fuel consumption I would like to disable de AC once the front window is clear.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    price sounds a little high to me, considering it's a base model, with almost 14k miles on it. But it doesn't sound like you got gouged or anything. a new sentra with 0 miles on it starts at about 16k, and nissan is offering good discounts on them. But, that doesn't really matter. If you like the car and plan on keeping it for awhile, well, thats the important part.

congrats on your new purchase.
    I can't opine on the price as I am in Canada and we have always had and still have higher prices, notwithstanding the high value of our currency.

Regarding the noise when accelerating from a stop, the first time in the morning, all Sentras and Versas with the CVT seem to do that.

I have driven 3 different Versas while my car was serviced and the all made the same noise.
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Carsdirect dot com is offering $3000 off sticker price for the top-of-the-line Sentra SE-R Spec V (200 hp) and that is for models without the sunroof or leather packages. That discount is for California zip codes. No matter where you buy or what you buy, bargain hard and smart. Sales are slow.
  • dallardallar Member Posts: 15
    Yesterday in Dallas I paid $17,946 o.t.d. for a new '07 Spec V w/ sunroof, posi, door moldings, Rockford Fosgate, XM, etc. Sticker was $23,600. There are certainly some good deals out there.
    Without reading all the posts just a heads up...I was experiencing a noise in my 07 SE-R that sounded like a tire rubbing or something in the suspension. A second trip to the dealer ended in replacement of the steering box and pump. They had not heard of this before so if you hear something and they say they don't hear anything on the lift...tell them to drive it and check the steering.
  • toronto1toronto1 Member Posts: 2
    We have had a noise on the passenger side and it happens while going slowly or bumps or faster . The dealership just tightened the spare tire but dont think they even took it for a ride. Has anyone experienced this noise? Any ideas or suggestions??
    I found mine out...it was a power steering issue...a fairly big repair but now mine is all better
  • tanrbiaotanrbiao Member Posts: 1
    hi..how do you think your car? i am ready to buy the 07 sentra S, and the dealer can sell it $13,888. sounds good a prices
  • stevek1949stevek1949 Member Posts: 8
    I have the exact problem with the door trim with the paint rubbing off. I have not taken it back to the dealer yet, though. I am not sure that they will cover it under warranty. I bough mine in Oct 06 and just turned it over 21K yesterday.
  • nissanprincessnissanprincess Member Posts: 1
    you paid too much. my parents bought me the 2.0 s model brand new w/7 miles from being test driven for $12,998 +tax.
  • stevek1949stevek1949 Member Posts: 8
    Looks like a recall for the master cylinder. I have not had any problems with that at all, but it appears that there is a problem with all 2007 and 2008 models.

:cry: :confuse:
  • xavior3xavior3 Member Posts: 1
    im just wondering if anyone is haing problems with their motors right now? i have a 07 sentra with 105000 miles on it and nissan is already telling me that one of my pistons my not be firing, plus i hae blow-by smoke coming out of my dipstick when my car is running. has anyone else have similar problems?
  • fkdbynssnfkdbynssn Member Posts: 1
    I am having that issue right now.... 57K miles and pistons are blown! Still under warranty and they are nailing me to the wall with everything.

Services Records have been submitted to show timely services... but still no/slow response
  • jhagejhage Member Posts: 1
    2007 sentra cabin air filter - trying to find procedure to locate and replace. thank you
  • highmiler650highmiler650 Member Posts: 75
    In a few months my 2007 Sentra 2.0. S will need a transmission service. I am hesitant to take it to the dealer as he charges upwards of $ 300 for a fluid change.

Is there any other check or work done on the CVT when the fluid is changed?

Does anyone have the factory service manual to enlighten me about the procedure?

If only the fluid change is done I would go to a Mr. Lube location (national quick lube chain here in Canada) near my home. They only charge $ 180 for the fluid change. Using a coupon I can get an additional 10% off.
    My '07 2.0S now has about 23K miles and I will be replacing the Bridgestone EL-400 tires within another 6 months or so. The tires really don't impress me, but here in Phoenix we don't really have poor weather to deal with so I can't imagine what it's like where you have snow.
    Does anyone else have their rear brakes make a howling noise when they are in reverse while braking (ie: while reversing from a parking spot)?
  • justin2007justin2007 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently bought a used 2007 Nissan Sentra. I don't know what the sensors hooked into my air filter are, but I want to put a cold air or just an after market intake on the car. What would happen if I unplugged the sensors?
  • jackieryanjackieryan Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had this problem.... I just bought a nissan sentra 2.0 two weeks ago. It has 30,000 miles on it. And for the past two weeks it has been in the shop more than i have gotten to drive it. It has problems starting up. It seems like it wants to start but will not crank. I have taken it to nissan because its still under bumper to bumper warenty I have a new fuel pump one week, the next week i got a new key because they said it threw codes with a "bad" key. And now it is back at nissan because it is doing the same thing...... has anyone had this much trouble with theirs???? :confuse: :sick:
  • csaldanacsaldana Member Posts: 2
    Jackieryan,
    Did the problem for your car get resolved?
    I'm having the same problem with my Sentra 2007 :sick: and was wondering if maybe now you know what was the issue....
  • jwrusherjwrusher Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem. I would like to hear some options. Turn the key and motor turns over, but won't start. Wait 10 seconds and try again. Starts.
    Remove the vertical panel next to the throttle pedal. It will flex and pop out of it's attachments. There is a black cover that attaches at the bottom behind which the filter goes. Now that i know where everything is, this will be a maximum 5 minute change in the future.

FYI: Be careful, mine had a lot of debris fall out when I removed it. When I turned on my a/c the loose dust blew through the vents. If you have a vacuum with a wand attachment you may consider cleaning the channel out before you install the new one.
  • csaldanacsaldana Member Posts: 2
    Hi, in my case it was the fuel pump. One of the terminals going to the pump was almost burnt. So I guess sometimes the "signal" got thru and the car would turn on and sometimes it wouldn't.
    Hope it helps!
  • clumsymoonclumsymoon Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0 in March of this year with about 38k miles on it. For the next three weeks, I was in and out of the shop with it. Sometimes it wouldn't start, and sometimes it would. Of course it never had a problem in the shop but as soon as I got it home, it would act up again. First they said it was the battery. Then they said it was the key. Finally, they decided it was the entire computer that had gone bad. They replaced the computer and ever since, I have not had a problem (plus I got an extra key out of the deal!) I don't know how they decide that this is the problem, maybe after they have exhausted all other options? Just keep on them and hopefully you can get it fixed!
  • matefeedkillmatefeedkill Member Posts: 1
    -secret weapon cold air intake
    -flowmasters
    -headers
    -superchip

ok well my problem is today i was driving and when i would stop at a light my car would shut off.....id turn it back on and it would start sputtering and i would have to step on the gas just to keep the engine running......
This discussion has been closed.