Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln MKS

Comments

• carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    I went to a Hyundai/Lincoln dealer and drove comparably equipped MKS and Genesis' back to back. Both had 18'" wheels. Drove city streets, country road and interstate. I did not "push" any of the cars hard and was mainly interested in everyday driving. If you cannot take criticizm of MKS or Genesis, please read no further.
    The MKS had a somewhat bouncy ride, but better than my Azera. I did not detect a pronounced body roll as Edmunds reported, but there was a little.
    The Genesis rode much rougher than either the MKS or my 07 Azera, but was not as bouncy as the Azera with brand new L460 shocks. This was on all three road types. The dash and console of the Genesis are much more impressive, especially with black leather instead of the brown. The MKS is larger inside and feels it. Even cruising at about 40 MPH, the Genesis was very harsh over moderate pavement irregularities. It was much worse than either the MKS or my Azera and had the feeling that if I pushed it hard on straights or curves, it would start heaving and wallowing severely.
    I agree with Car & Driver and Automobile magazine that Hyundai needs to revisit the suspension on the Genesis.
    the Genesis was $5,000 cheaper than the MKS and had better power.
    The MKS performance was OK, except when you had to accelerate uphill to enter the interstate, it took more pressure on the gas pedal to get up to speed. The wood trim on the MKS impressed me much more than the leather on the Genesis.
    I checked the gauge this time and it had a quarter of a tank. I did not notice the fuel gauge the other time.
    For what Ford is asking for this car and what they expect it to do for Lincoln, they need to make it a little better. The dash/knobs/buttons could be improved to comparable with Genesis, Acura, Infiniti, etc. They just do not look that good. Edmunds edititors referred to them as too Fordish switchgear. Add some color to the dash and console. If you get the darker wood trim, it really is monochromatic.
  • speculatorspeculator Member Posts: 116
    Ford has laid off 750 employees at the Chicago Torrence ave plant that produces the Taurus, Sable and MKS. The reason is that there is an oversupply of inventory of these three models. So much for the MKS being popular with the discerning motoring public. The BMW 500 series and the Cadillac DTS out sells the car. Both more expensive models. One has to ask why do two more expensive cars outsell the less expensive car? Any MKS defenders know why?
    The Navigator will eventually be replaced by the MKT. The Navigator will be discontinued by the start of 2010. I expect a certain person to post a reply that counters this. Nevertheless it is true. The new rear wheel drive platform for Lincoln and another large Ford sedan is also to be discontinued for the American market. Ford is going fwd for all of its domestic models except for the Mustang if it survives. Wishfull hopes will not change that. Look for the platform for the next gen Mustang to be smaller than the present one. There is some rumor that the Mustang may be discontinued eventhough the refreshed Mustang is due for 2011 as sales of this model has declined precipitously. Also Ford Volvo is terminating over 6000 employees. Ford is stuck with it. So much for any other manufacturing wanting to purchase Volvo. Well, maybe the Federal Government.
    I was reading some of your post in the forum Where is Ford Taking Lincoln and also in this forum. In both forums you use the term, "my Ford connections," this term gives people the idea that you have a connection with Ford. Do you or don't you.? If by that term you mean that you have a friend who works for Ford ,make it clear. Also, The Mustang that is most used for racing by both professionals and novices has an IRS usually designed by Roush. Some dealers sell these models to those that order them. This models can be driven in all fifty states by the average motorist. This means that the vehicles are considered to be standard street vehicles that some race circuits require.
    The LS 430 is obsolete and it still is a better made car than the MKS which is a new design. How well will the MKS compare to the LS460?
    Why compare the wood trim on the MKS to the leather that is used in the Genesis?
  • theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    I found this Video review by Top Speed on You Tube. What do you all think ?

Top Speed Review of the 2009 Lincoln MKS
  • datagendatagen Member Posts: 107
    Well not defending but just speculating here. Your statement may explain a few things. First I will say that the MKS will not outsell the BMW and DTS for some time if ever. It is funny that even in this fast pace world things take time. It takes time for people to warm up to something new and different from a manufacturer who has had marketing and operational issues. It is funny that many of the Ford employees I talked with were impress with the MKS commercials. Many said that it was something that Ford should have been doing for sometime. When you have a product better than the marketing force that pushes the product, Dearborn you have a problem.

With the current economic situation and with it to be going on for sometimes to come, all bets are off. Sales projections, modification projects, and other growth elements are on hold. Your statement tells me that the production cut backs explains why in the Detroit area a dealer only has a few MKS on the lots is any at all. Numbers are all over the chart now and nothing can be seen. This situation may be for sometime (5-6 years) to come. To sun it up, there was an article in the Sunday Detroit Free Press about the Ford Flex. The headline said “The Flex, great vehicle bad timing.”
    Then again why is it that a car with a base price that is lower than a BMW5 or an obsolete DTS not able to outsell these models? In your post you state that it may never outsell he Bimmer or DTS. Why is that? I believe it is because the segment of purchasers for these type of autos have a perception that a car that is suppose to be a competitor to the DTS or Bimmer that has a cheaper price must be cheaply made for this type of market. Otherwise, price equals quality. If the car is being positioned to compete with the Buick Lucerne, then will it outsell the Buick? If not, then the average purchaser in this market segment is not convinced that the Lincoln is as good as its Buick counterpart. Its going to take more then commercials to convince the market segment that this car is aimed at that the car has better or equal value as its competition. Even if Major Tom or ground control tells them it is. It has to do with consumer experiences. The consumer has always believed that GM products are superior to Ford products in quality and that Ford products are superior to Chrysler products and that foreign products are superior to all three. Its hard to change that perception. Tell me why continue to manufacture the Taurus X and the Flex . They both compete with each other. From my experience with potential buyers the style of the Flex is either love or hate. Maybe that is why the Taurus X is still being produced. Again the Torrence Ave plant in Chicago is diminishing production for these autos along with the Taurus and Sable . As far as the economy, I believe what is the real cause of all of the mess is the cost of energy. All caused by rabid speculation without regard to the well being of the whole economy. There was never a reason for oil to hit 100 dollars a barrel let alone 147 dollars. The price for a barrel should have never been higher than 75 to 80 dollars.There was never a shortage of product. Its just that a lot of speculators found a loop hole in the law and decided to use it for their advantage. I am happy to say I was not one of them. Whomever becomes president I hope will curtail this type of greed with a return to prior laws that regulated these actions.
    Your comments are well founded on the energy situation. I believe there were a number of factors that when it all came together became the perfect storm for a catastrophe. Granted the one element in all of these factors was greed and it will haunt us for some time to come.

You seem bent on instant success of failure on a product. True it has happened in the past but the pattern again is time. If the MKS outsells the others fine, but if it does, it won’t be this years or next. Maybe on it’s third years and forward. If the marketing teams are on the ball, they should have new commercials that point out the advantages of the MKS over its competitors. The last time I checked, Consumer Reports still had not fully tested the car yet. My purchase of the MKS is based upon my history with Ford and Lincolns. You are right the Flex is a vehicle you got to love or hate. I guess the experts got together and figured out that if they can make money from the ones who love it, then they may get the others over in time. I could see a fleet of taxi flex in a large city then maybe it will grow from there, who knows what those guys were thinking at the time.

The Taurus X may be the teaser car that they plan to slowly bring down to get people to move over to the Flex. Price and quality mean different thing to different people. The quality of the MKS has not yet been proven at this stage, so the numbers aren’t there. Throw in this economic situation and your guess (point of the quality) is just as good as anyone’s. Ford had proven to the critics that they could make a luxury vehicle (the LS) cheaper. The MKS has received many favorable comments, though not perfect; it may make it mark as well. Personally I like having a quality cheaper vehicle that few others have. The MKZ started out as the Zephyr and it took some time for that market to grow and in truth it was the foundation for the MKS and MKR concept. So for now lets give it time and see what happens. As far as president, I believe anyone who would want the job in this mess needs their head examined.
    Your comments are well founded on the energy situation. I believe there were a number of factors that when it all came together became the perfect storm for a catastrophe. Granted the one element in all of these factors was greed and it will haunt us for some time to come.

You seem bent on instant success of failure on a product. True it has happened in the past but the pattern again is time. If the MKS outsells the others fine, but if it does, it won’t be this years or next. Maybe on it’s third years and forward. If the marketing teams are on the ball, they should have new commercials that point out the advantages of the MKS over its competitors. The last time I checked, Consumer Reports still had not fully tested the car yet. My purchase of the MKS is based upon my history with Ford and Lincolns. You are right the Flex is a vehicle you got to love or hate. I guess the experts got together and figured out that if they can make money from the ones who love it, then they may get the others over in time. I could see a fleet of taxi flex in a large city then maybe it will grow from there, who knows what those guys were thinking at the time.

The Taurus X may be the teaser car that they plan to slowly bring down to get people to move over to the Flex. Price and quality mean different thing to different people. The quality of the MKS has not yet been proven at this stage, so the numbers aren’t there. Throw in this economic situation and your guess (point of the quality) is just as good as anyone’s. Ford had proven to the critics that they could make a luxury vehicle (the LS) cheaper. The MKS has received many favorable comments, though not perfect; it may make it mark as well. Personally I like having a quality cheaper vehicle that few others have. The MKZ started out as the Zephyr and it took some time for that market to grow and in truth it was the foundation for the MKS and MKR concept. So for now lets give it time and see what happens. As far as president, I believe anyone who would want the job in this mess needs their head examined.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The Navigator will eventually be replaced by the MKT. The Navigator will be discontinued by the start of 2010. I expect a certain person to post a reply that counters this. Nevertheless it is true. The new rear wheel drive platform for Lincoln and another large Ford sedan is also to be discontinued for the American market. Ford is going fwd for all of its domestic models except for the Mustang if it survives. Wishfull hopes will not change that. Look for the platform for the next gen Mustang to be smaller than the present one.

And your source for this is what? Motor Trend and Rumor Mills? Or do you have inside knowledge? I don't but I do know that you can't trust a lot of what's being reported because most of it is speculation (pun intended) based on limited comments from company executives that are being misintepreted.

As for me - my Ford sources are current and former Ford employees on several websites - public and private. I don't know why I have to explain that to you or what difference it makes, but if it makes you feel better......

People buy BMWs for 2 reasons - prestige and performance, in that order. The MKS has neither. It's a luxury sedan and Lincoln is still trying to build prestige. And people don't buy these types of cars based on price.

Here's the OTHER side to your sales coin: the MKS which has only been available for a couple of months, outsold the Lexus GS, Audi A6, Infiniti M35/45, Cadillac CTS and Jag XF. Please explain that.
  • The Taurus X may be the teaser car that they plan to slowly bring down to get people to move over to the Flex.

You give Ford too much credit, The Taurus X is the Freestyle with a different grill and upgraded engine. Ford thought the conservative station wagon crossover would sell, and when it didn't thought giving it a more distinctive grill and a bit more power would juice sales. It was not one of their better ideas.

They then scrambled to get the Flex to market. Meanwhile, the X is still a very new design and it would be dumb to just dump it without giving it some more time for additional sales. And of course the Flex, a polarizing design that the X should have had (had Ford had any real thinking people in charge), arrived just at the wrong time. Besides, Ford is hardly the only company that has several crossovers for sale in the same showroom.

This mishmash within the American Ford brands, Lincoln included, is just ludicrous, but again hardly a Ford exclusive. Meanwhile the more integrated and better designed European Fords are still at least two years away. I wouldn't bet on the survical of an independent Ford--or the Lincoln brand at all.
    Because IMO, the wood looks better and offers a greater contrast. Since everybody except Genesis uses "wood" or aluminum, must be a reason.
    I've driven all three and Lexus admits that the ride on the LS 430 was not as good as it should have been. The 460 does ride some better than the MKS, but for $25,000 more, it darn well should. The 460 has less on it than the MKS unless you get up into the $75,000+ area and service costs a whole lot more for Lexus.
    The only Lincoln dealer in about six counties of a large SMSA only has one MKS and has sold everyone that came in within a week or so. On the other hand, he also sells Genesis' and those are beginning to build up.
    The inventory of Lexus LS 460's in this area is really building up, so much so that they are now offering as much as $8,000 off whereas the normal discount is $2,000.
    The only cars selling now are economy cars and even very few of those due to the credit crisis, the financial crisis and the fear that most people have about what is going to happen.
    OK everyone as promised, I finally got my MKS. The dealer called me yesterday around high noon to say that he had it confirmed that it just came off the truck. It had been on order since 27 Feb, but due to the things I wanted on it, I had to wait. After going through all the paperwork I went through approx 20 minute briefing on the navigational system and other features of the car. Part of this dealerships policy is to not only show customer about sync, but to actually perform the syncing of the customers phone with the car through the blue tooth technology (this could be a safety requirement as well). It took less than a minutes to have the car discover my phone, up load my complete address book and get in a ready state for operations. You can give it a voice command calling the name directly from your phone book and it will make the call.

I took some phone pictures of certain areas at http://www.me.com/gallery/#100013. You can down load them to take a closer peek if you wish. Some things to note:

When I started the car the first time, the gas indicator computer said that it was 409 miles before E, but to get it to that point, you had to fill it to the brim. When I filled it up again, I got it up to 398 miles. Yes, I understand it will vary.

They sticker shows the cost of operating (gas cost) was estimated at $4.10 a gallon at $3,227 bucks a year. The lowest price I have seen in my area was $2.85 a gallon. Lucky me for now (till next summer when gas will hit $10 bucks a gallon).

I ordered the wood package and even though I wished they had done the center console, it still looks nice and accents the doors well with the wood on the dash. The rear doors are done as well.

I also order the 20-inch high polished rims for this car. There is a cost for that because you feel it a little more on bumpy roads. It is not much, but depending on the bump, it can be noticeable. Warning, they are supposing to come out with some chrome rims. My dealership said that if they do not come on the vehicle, do not order them as an accessory. The cost for the transfer to chrome is just not worth it.

I did order an additional key bob, wheels locks, and the MKS weather floor mats. I was not impressed with the floor mats and I believe an off market brand would be better.

I am still learning all the features of the navigational package but I have learned quite a bit already. You can also dial on the screen to any number you wish. The gas price feature is cool also, but remember not all gas stations participate.

I will have to agree the operational buttons in the center console are kinda small. For those who work on a laptop most of the day you may not notice the difference. Others, it may take a little getting use of the difference.

Trunk is deep and the opening does question what you can put it in. More on that down the road.

On the highway I was impressed with that 3.7 engine. It moves and does not play. It is very quite inside and sometime I had to struggle to hear the engine. On the flip side the 20-inch rims really give you control on the road. I believe it really assist on the responsiveness side.

Even though I ordered the ultimate package and everything, the rear shade cover was not on this vehicle. I do not know why at this time.

I have not done the Ipod thing yet and used the hard drive (other than installing my phone book) so I will provide more on this later. I will say the large screen is nice and the rear camera is great also when backing up. I did find myself struggling to trust it and looking at the mirrors mostly and using the camera as a double check.

Well that’s it for now, If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them for you. Thanks All :):):) :shades: :shades:
  • Good to see you bought one. Lincoln chose almost the worst possible moment to try to turn things around, and they did it with a compromised entry...though the MKS (God I hate that name!) is fine compared to the direct competition.

I feel very badly for this brand. 10 years ago, it was poised to really make waves. Now, we have to wonder if it will survive. Sad. People in control in almost all arenas (not just cars) made some very bad moves in th epast decade, and apparently learned nothing from the dot.com downturn and Worldcom and Enron. Ford made it through the depression. I hope they can do it again.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The LS 430 is obsolete and it still is a better made car than the MKS which is a new design. How well will the MKS compare to the LS460?

The Lexus is twice the money the MKS is - of course it's better made. But IMO, the MKS is a good car for the money, and very pleasing to drive.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/10/ecoboost-on-its.html#more

More HP and better fuel economy than the 3.7 base engine - if true, the Ecoboost can't get here soon enough.
    For the first time in my life, I am seriously considering a Lincoln. Being an old school kind of guy, I really hate numbers and letters for cars. MKS, MKZ, MKQ, MKK, KKK? It is hard for most people to differentiate and people who pay $30K plus like for others to know what they are driving. At least Lexus, MB and BMW use a progressive hierarchy in their nomenclature.
    Maybe they could change the MKS to Continental or Mark ??
  • Fat chance/
    Maybe they could change the MKS to Continental or Mark ??

OH MAN, I wish they would...., or Cosmopolitan, or Premier, or........
    I really thought that the new management team would ditch the MK names and bring back Continental, Mark, etc. I guess they still could starting with the next round of redesigns. I do have to admit the MK names aren't as bad as I thought they'd be.
    I think there is something a little misleading here. So far I have not seen anywhere that the ecoboost engine will provide better fuel economy that the 3.7 ltr base engine. I have read that it will provide better fuel economy to other V-8's but not so much on similar V-6 engines out there.

Currently I have a MKS with AWD and it is running between 18.3 and 18.6 in the city. I can see an ecoboost 3.5 doing about 19-21 tops if that.
    In truth, the MKS is short for the Mark S
    The link that I posted was the first time I have seen reference to the 25 MPG highway estimate. I agree that they have always talked about the power of a 4.6 V8 but with better mileage than the V8.

Direct Injection should help FE somewhat and the fact that the Ecoboost is slightly smaller in displacement could also help. I would not be shocked to see EPA ratings better on the Ecoboost 3.5 than on the base 3.7. I guess we wait and see.
  • That is what is being said now. The Ecoboost won't just best V8s with similar power. It will apparently get better mileage than the base engine as well.
    I would have to admit that I like the names as well. I guess that is why I like the uniqueness of the Zephyr name. I believe if they named the MKS with the Mark S or Mark X (standing for 10) on the car itself, then my tastes buds in the name area would have been satisfied. :)
    There was a recent direct quote from a Ford rep saying that the 3.5L EB would get better fuel mileage than the base 3.7L, but I don't have the link.
  • cowbellcowbell Member Posts: 125
    Here's a post from kickingtires that mentions the ecoboost will get better fuel economy than the 3.7. 25 mpg highway for AWD. As ecoboost will only be available on the AWD models.

"Estimated fuel economy for the MKS with an Ecoboost engine is 25 mpg on the highway. This is only 2 mpg better than the current 3.7-liter V-6 with all-wheel drive, but there is also an extra 67 horsepower under the hood. An all-wheel drive STS with a V-8 is rated at 22 mpg on the highway, and the all-wheel drive Infiniti M45 is rated at 20 mpg. "

kickingtires blog entry
    And the MKK is short for Mark K, MKT is short for Mark T, MKZ is short for Mark Z? Regardless, 99% of people out there do not know that - I didn't and I have test driven one and have brochures and other information on the MKS.
    Interesting when you call or visit a dealer and ask about MKS, you have to repeat it a couple of times so they do not think you are talking about one of the other MK's.
    Still, I like the car better than I do it's competitors even if it is underpowered in some circumstances.
    Where do you feel it is underpowered? I know everyone is different because some are satisfied to be able to merge in traffic, while others are happy only when they are pushed back in there seats like the commercial of the startship. Myself I have yet to find this under power. I have had to put myself in check as going down the highway. Mine seems to drift away from me faster than I anticipate at time.
    Bob hasn't answered yet but I will jump in here. I decided to wait for the Ecoboost because I found the base engine to be not quite competitive in this class and less responsive in mid range and higher speeds than my current car. Up to 50 MPH, the MKS feels pretty decent but after that it is a bit flat.

Drive the MKS back to back with an STS, RL, or ES350 and it just feels lethargic in comparison. There is also a bit more of a labored sound to the engine than I find acceptable in this class. For those who don't care about that, the MKS base engine is fine.
    It was fine for routine driving, but when I had to accelerate going up an on ramp so I could merge with traffic, I had to press the accelerator in pretty far and you could hear the engine reving up.
    I had to press the accelerator in pretty far and you could hear the engine reving up.

Sounds like it's working as designed. :confuse:

Underpowered implies having to step on the gas all the time just to get adequate performance. Sounds like it is adequate but you both would simply prefer a bit more power.
    No, underpowered means it does not have sufficient power for normal requirements. The on ramp was a long one with a small gradient. I have driven several Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Toyota and Hyundai vehicles up the same ramp without having to press in the accelrator much at all.
    Some magazine reviews have even stated it is underpowered. Wish it wasn't so because I think it is an excellent car otherwise. Bit pricey for an American car compared to Japanese and Korean competitors though.
    Having a 6 speed tranny is also part of it - it needs to kick down in those cases whereas a 4 or 5 speed may not.

If you only have to go > 50% throttle every once in a while and when you do the performance is there, I don't call that underpowered. The fact that you don't like to drive that way just means that you prefer more power, which is fine.

I'm not saying it couldn't USE more power, especially when compared to the competition, I just don't agree with saying the power level is inadequate.
    Personally, I found the power to be adequate. My Lexus has more, but I don't really NEED more. Ergo, adequate. More power on demand is never a bad thing, particularly if the mileage is just as good or even better. Eagerly waiting for the boost.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    Ecoboost = direct injection and turbocharging. Already found in VW, Audi, BMW and even the ( 2006) MazdaSpeed6. I read that Ford executives were hesitant to accept anything other than a conventional V8 and drug their feet on this one. Now Ford is playing catch-up. Damn it!
  • zone4zone4 Member Posts: 46
    For those of you who think the Lincoln MKS is underpowered a 340 horsepower version will be available next year.
  • slingshot80slingshot80 Member Posts: 55
    "As an all-new model, the 2009 Lincoln MKS is supposed to challenge worthy rivals from Germany and Japan for class leadership. Yet its most distinguishing characteristics are its failings — gnarly engine noises, lackluster interior quality and trawlerlike handling combined with an incongruously firm ride. We're still holding out hope for that American automotive renaissance, but if Lincoln's latest effort is any indication, we might be waiting awhile longer."

This is one of the more negative reviews I have read.
    I believe that there is a constant balancing act going on here. Power vs economy seems to have always been a challenge for the engineers. Just to report to everyone that I have had my MKS just about a month now and by its computer it started out at 17.2 the first week, second 18.3, third 18.6, and currently it is at 19.4 (all city driving). On a weekend 300 mile trip I just took it reported 25.2 hwy. This is the AWD version also. :)
    Seems like if you took that MKS and put CTS on the back of it, Edmunds would extol its virtues and compare it to a 5er..... Edmunds hates Ford, didn't you know that?
  • bobsokolerbobsokoler Member Posts: 4
    I currently have a Mercedes E350 and the lease ends next month. After test driving a Cadillac CTS Mercedes C300 and looking carefully at the Lexus Is and GS I ordered an MKS today. The ride is fantastic and the power is more than adequate, The interior room and electronics clinched the deal. Plus the lease price saved me 300 a month. I ordered the Ultimate package but is there anything I should add? The 19 inch wheels were great I was worried that if I upgraded to a 20 inch the ride would be harsh. Any thoughts?
  • Edmunds hates Ford? Are you being ironic? Or sarcastic? I don't get what you are saying.
  • mkslovermkslover Member Posts: 1
    I've had my MKS since July and assumed that Ford would be able to figure out how to add a remote starter to the MKS with push button ignition. No such luck! Dealer says it will be another 6 months...meanwhile I am freezing my butt off in Michigan. Would it make sense to take it to an aftermarket installer and hope they don't tap into the main electrical? If you're thinking about getting the MKS, stick with the key and tumbler!!!
  • gent70360gent70360 Member Posts: 33
    Seriously, is the dealer promising that a solution for the remote start combined with the push button ingnition is in the works? I am definitely getting the remort start was was a bit disappointed in that it was not something I could get with the push button start. I may have to rethink things now. I was just about to go with a fully loaded Sable because of this along with the better milage and the fold down rear seat backs.
    I'm sure it will be available shortly - I'm sure it's the different type of key security (longer range vs. the very short range PATS key) and/or a different computer interface.
  • Everyone has their own taste and each of us likes different toys. For myself, I am not inclined to think that warming up a modern car makes any sense. They always start at the first turn of a key or button, and the heat comes up fast from heater and seats. Nothing good about idling a car to warm up its mechanicals either...the suspension, tires, differential, etc. all need for the car to move in order for the warming up to happen. Mostly, I think of the woman at work with a rather clap trap GM product who who turns on the engine and lights remotely as she is heading to the car across the parking lot, and then I hear the engine knock, the too loud exhaust and imagine that little bit of self-esteem she apparently draws from that level of control.
  • cowbellcowbell Member Posts: 125
    I don't think anyone is getting a remote start for the the suspension, tires ...etc. They are getting it for the few minutes it takes any car to start pumping heat into the car. Sure, it's not necessary, but it's something very nice to have, especially if you're already paying this much for a car.

Also, I think many people would love the remote start in the winter so they don't have to scrape ice of a cold windshield before they can begin driving. If you leave the front defrost on when you last get out of the car at night, you can have the heater clear your windshield for you, with out stepping outside. Or at least warm up the glass so the ice comes right off, instead of having to chip away at it for 5 minutes.