Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln MKS

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    what's that got to do security approach lamp?

They are exactly as I described. They're also called puddle lamps. They're just tied into the interior lighting.

I don't own one, but Bruce does, so if you don't believe me you can certainly believe him.
  • quiltingalquiltingal Member Posts: 10
    Thanks Bruce and AKirby, wasn't that I didn't believe you A, I was just wondering why they are described on the lincoln web site as, security approach lamps.

I know the MKS does not have the BLIS, don't know why, but I was just wondering about the decription and what it meant. I wonder if they will put it on the 2011's. When will the 2011 come out? anyone know?

Gonna go drive one next week and try and decide between it and the SHO.

Thanks.
    anyone know?

Thanks,
    Anyone know what these rebates mean and how you quailfy for them?
    And do you quailfy for all of them when purchasing a new MKS?

1. Rebate cash

2. Bonus cash

3. Max rebate cash.

Thanks.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    I can't help you much with your questions but I will throw out some guesses.

BLIS requires some pretty significant changes so it was not part of the 2010 MKS revisions. The other Ford products that got BLIS had more major changes and it could be implemented more easily than in the MKS. I would imagine that BLIS will find its way on to the MKS. I have heard 2011 model year but I don't know for sure.

I have not heard that the 2011s will be released any earlier than the normal September-October timeframe so I would presume you could order a 2010 up until June or so. I can't imagine much in the way of changes for 2011. There were rumors of a facelift but I have not heard anything concrete. I would be more inclined to think 2012 would be more likely for anything major - if then.

As for rebates, you should check Lincolnvehicles.com. I have not really paid much attention to incentives since I bought mine. Incentives may vary by zip code. I think you can get a $1000 rebate plus 0% financing for 36 months. That is what I got when I took delivery of mine back in late September. There may be other (and better) incentives now. The purchase price you work out with the dealer will be a key factor and then any rebates are on top of that.

You are getting the ecoboost engine, correct?
    You can order a new MKS at any time. If you're asking specifically about a 2010 vs. a 2011 I don't think they've announced the job 1 dates for the 2011 yet or when they would go on sale.

The "security approach" verbiage just means the puddle lamps illuminate as you approach the car so you can see if anyone is near the car. It's "marketing speak".

As for rebates, "bonus cash" is just a marketing term. It's usually combined with other offers like low apr financing. Basically you get

Regular rebates
    OR
    Special financing
    OR
    Special financing and a rebate

Sometimes you can get an extra rebate for financing with Ford in addition to other rebates. Go to the Lincoln/MKS website and it should tell you the current incentives for your zip code. The terms of the rebate will tell you if it can be combined with others.

You can also get special additional rebates for college graduates, military, etc.
  • tlmacsontlmacson Member Posts: 11
    This is the most all-around fun to drive vehicle that I have ever owned. I've had luxury sedans, Corvettes, pick-up, minivans, mid-size sedans, imports (Toyota and Honda), compacts and SUV's. I still get a bigger grin on my face when I drive this car over anything else I've had. It's not perfect - it was delivered with 2 glitches - a minor paint nick near the rear license plate area and a very frustrating problem with the iPod interface. I need to get those resolved soon, but I've been having too much fun with the MKS to take it in.

My pet peeves are as follows:
    1) No underhood light
    2) Front passenger and rear passenger power window switches are nonilluminated
    3) No provision for nickle - dime - quarter storage
    4) The glovebox is nicely sized but the remaining interior storage is laughable
    5) The undersized trunk opening diminishes the utility of the trunk's size
    6) My iPod stays on after I turn off the car, but it's battery is not charging.

Of these six the unforgivable - especially since Lincoln considers itself a domestic luxury line - is #2. My 300C had illuminated switchgear at all door positions. Also, I've stopped using my iPod Touch in the car because I know it won't be working properly the next time I start the car - not until it's had time to recharge for a few minutes and then resync itself to the radio. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

But oh my, how those twin turbos can get my adrenaline pumping!!
    Why are you leaving the iPod on all the time? The usb port is not powered when the car is off. It would be the same as leaving your iPod on and connected to your computer while the computer is turned off. Unless I misunderstood your problem. You should either unplug it or turn it off.
    I agree with your overall positive assessment.

The passenger side window/door lock switches are definately illuminated on mine. I don't know about the rear but I will check tonight - I thought they were but could be wrong.

I don't use an iPod. I just use a flash drive and it works great. Is the iPod Touch one of the units that are listed on the sync website as tested? The syncmyride website and the sync section of Blue Oval News are both good places for information and tips. I know sync is available on about all Fords but it is one of my favorite features. It has exceeded my expectations. So has the Nav system...and the engine....and the build quality....but especially the engine!
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I have an aftermarket Sony stereo in my car with USB and it shuts the IPOD down when I shut the car off.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    I misspoke when I said that the passenger window/door lock switches on my MKS are illuminated. The passenger lock/unlock switch is illuminated but the window switch is not. The rear window switches are not either. I had never noticed that. Seeing both the driver and passenger power lock switches illuminated led me to assume the window switches were too.

As for interior storage, the MKS works fine for me. I am not sure where you would add more - maybe in the console in that empty spot where it says LINCOLN. There is storage in the console and rear armrest, pockets behind the seats, and good sized front door pockets. Of course, I came from an LS and it was quite limited in storage space so I am pretty easy to please when it comes to interior storage space. I really never carry anything, anyway. The jukebox and/or the USB port eliminate the need for CDs. What do people carry in the passenger compartment - except passengers? I agree coin storage would be useful.

Glad you are enjoying your car.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    My '96 Contour had illuminated lock switches...there were little green lamps in each door. I think the light was supposed to also shine on the window switches, but I can't remember now.
  • Lighted switches on door panels is nothing at all new. My '93 Isuzu Trooper had them all around. VW Golfs and Rabbits and all the way up have had lighted switches on all doors/models since the 1990s. The Contour actually had lighted inside door handles. That Lincoln would cut this corner is odd at best.
    After having one of the new Chrysler Town & Country minivans I guess I'm somewhat jaded when it comes to interior storage - i suppose I'm being less than realistic on that one. Regarding my iPod Touch. Either the minivan charged it while the engine was off (very possible because it connected thru the glovebox via a special cable which was part of the upgraded audio system) or the cable somehow turned the iPod off while the car was off and then turned it back on on the next startup. I'm better on the former - not the latter.
    It could have been hot while the ignition was off, but I doubt it as that might cause the battery to drain if not started for several days. If that was an iPod specific connection it's possible the iPod knew to shut down. With sync it's just a generic USB connection.
    OK, regarding the window switches: All of the window switches, front and rear are definately illuminated. The reason I was confused about it earlier is because the passenger and rear window switches are not illuminated if you have the window lock on - preventing passengers from using the power windows. Flip the window-lockout button and all of your switches at every door will be illuminated. Also, the power sun-shade and moonroof controls are also lit up nicely.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm very glad to hear that - because the other scenerio was just absurd! Thanks for clearing that up.
    Thanks brucelinc! I did have window lockout engaged. Disengaged and all switches illuminated. On some days even old dogs can learn new tricks!
    When this came up last week, I was positive they were all illuminated. To confirm, I went out to the garage and flipped on the lights and much to my shock, the passenger and rear switches were dark! I was dam* near ready to give my MKS away when I checked the wife's Taurus and found that they lit up like a Christmas tree!

The next day, it dawned on me that I had a 3 year old nephew in the back seat a few days ago and I locked the power windows so he wouldn't play with them. He also played with the heated rear seats but that is another story.....Anyway, as soon as I unlocked the window controls, the switches became illuminated as they should.

By the way, with the ambient lighting, you can have a very inviting "glow" in the interior. There are numerous colors available but I find the red to be comfortable and not at all distracting.
    Just got a 2010 MKS and I am trying to pair my phone.

Anyone of you have the Treo 650 and had any luck paring it?
    I currently have a Treo 680 (previous phone was a 650) in my last two vehicles (both Chryslers) my 650 synced up easily but my 680 had problems that were insurmountable. In the MKS the 680 works like a charm - couldn't try out the 650 because after giving it to my son it lasted less than 3 weeks before he lost it while snowboarding. Oh, well. Have you used your 650 in other vehicles?
    No I have never paired it with Sync before. This is the first vehicle I've had that had this feature.
    It seems the phone will recognize sync, but the car after I have entered the pass code, and a few min. and it says pairing failed.

The dealer's phone paired right off, he tried mine a couple of times, but no luck.
    I use the bluetooth with a ear bluetooth device with no problem.

Sure hate to get rid of my 650.

Thanks for your reply.
    It's possible that the 650, being an older model (3+ years old), is not supported by Sync. I'd check their website for confirmation one way or the other.
    There are problems with that model. Check www.syncmyride.com for more details.
    Yeah, I'm finding that out. I've read nearly everthing on Palm and syncmyride, trying to find out which phones will work, before buying a new one.

Thanks.
  • greggm2greggm2 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I just ordered a new MKS and surprised to hear there is no under the hood light on a vehicle with this price tag. What other interior lights are missing that you would expect to be there? Is there a glovebox and center console light? Also, are there courtesy lights in the front floormat area?
    Yes to all. I guess LM figured they could skip the underhood light because they put 2 lights in the trunk. Seems petty to me.
    The map lights illuminate the glovebox just fine, and I can't remember the last time I needed to look under the hood after dark.

You probably didn't realize that passenger doors no longer have locks either.
    Yep, I was shocked when I realized that I couldn't change the spark plugs in my MKS after dark without a flashlight. ;)
  • When is the last time you used your brake assist? Probably never, unless you have been in a severe panic stop. The point is a car of MKS caliber should have an underhood light, whether or not you ever use it. After all, so many non-luxury rides (even many econoboxes) have had one as standard equipment for decades. Ford has made great strides cleaning up their intentional cheapness, but there are a few spots yet to polish on the MKS. In time.
    I'm more in the camp of "why does any car need one"? There's nothing you can do without tools and if you carry tools you can carry a flashlight, because even with a dinky light you can't see well enough to do any type of meaningful repairs. And most people never open their hoods in the first place. Trunk light makes sense because of the spare tire or needing to get something out of the trunk at night.

Maybe it gives the perception of non-cheapness but I doubt it's ever affected a sale.
    Gregg, you are preaching to the choir. No one is more fussy about the little things than I am. Prop-rod hood = no sale to me, for example.

As for the underhood light, I was of course kidding. The fact is that I have never found an underhood light to be bright enough or positioned well enough to be of value. I probably had the hood open a thousand times on my LS and I honestly can't recall if it had a light under there or not.

If an under hood light would have cost them a dollar to include, and they chose to spend that dollar to make the adaptive headlights work as flawlessly as they do, I would say they made the right decision. Short of really high-end vehicles, I haven't found any that include every possible doo-dad that technology can provide and that some buyers would find valuable or entertaining.
    You folks are right - an underhood lite is seldom used but the MKS's competition (the CTS) has one. If you've ever refilled your washer fluid reservoir at nite (the jug was easy to find thanks to the trunk lite) like I have you'd appreciate having one. Holding the jug and a flashlite at the same time can be a challenge when you're trying to get as much washer fluid as possible into that narrow reservoir opening; believe me two hands on the jug works better than one.
  • Allen, your defense of every little bonehead cost-savings decision notwithstanding, I want a hood light in my cars, and there is one on all three of my vehicles. I don't need it or want it for repairs. It is bright enough to pour windshield washer fluid in with, and it is bright enough that I can find the oil (or transmission) dipstick, as well as hold the dipstick up to the light and tell if the level is normal or not. It helps me connect the battery when I use jumper cables. It tells me if a plastic cover or shield is loose or missing. As for the dollar savings going to better headlight operation, don't kid yourself. Those headlights will operate flawlessly whether or not a hood light is included, or the reliability Ford has worked so hard to achieve takes a tumble.
    I get it that the addition of little things can often provide value beyond their cost. Given the choice, I would rather have an underhood light than NOT have it - even though I never add fluids or check under the hood at night unless I am in my well-lit garage or maybe at a gas station which has a nice bright parking area.

OK, the CTS has an underhood light and the MKS doesn't. You also know that the MKS offers things that the CTS, STS, or DTS do not. Living in deer country on a twisty county blacktop road, I have come to appreciate headlights that swivel in the direction I turn the steering wheel. Somehow, many cars costing more than mine lack that feature and apparently the owners get along fine. My dual panel moonroof is much appreciated by me but my neighbor with his Acura RL seems satisfied with his little single panel one.

I have yet to find an automobile that is completely perfect - or that I wouldn't change or add something if I could. In the price range that I can afford, they all have compromises. The question is when does the compromise become a deal-breaker.
  • Oh, come on. A hood light that has been standard equipment on most vehicles for years is not the same thing as including or leaving out options like swiveling headlights or a dual panel moonroof. Like a glovebox light, coat hooks, and a remote trunk release, it is an inexpensive, ubiquitous item; it just should be there.
  • xando05xando05 Member Posts: 42
    Funny you should mention the Healy USA Today review. Turning every negative into a positive:
    After reading that goofy review back in 2008, I went out and leased a brand new 2009 MKS. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
    edited March 2010
    This lack of an underhood light was really starting to bother me. I decided to look over my MKS a bit closer. Those dirty cost-cutting cheapskates left out the lighted ashtray, the vent windows in the front door glass, the full-sized spare tire and the gas cap!! :D
  • Funny. So go ahead. Ignore my point. I am not saying the car isn't wonderful or that you made a poor choice, or that it isn't very well-equipped, or that this is even an important issue. It certainly does not rise to the level of for example using a prop rod v. struts. I say once again (and no more) that given the tiny cost of an underhood light, and the fact that every other luxury car (and most non-luxury cars) in the world has one, it should be there. Period. Regardless if YOU ever use it.
  • laxmanlaxman Member Posts: 30
    I agree that there should be light under the hood. All cars should have a full size spare and not the "donut". However, these things are not deal breakers. If you enjoy the car overall and feel that you have to have these "little things" you can go out and drop a few hundred dollars and have them installed or added.

Yes, you would think that a $40K+ car would have most things...well it does. It just doesn't have everything. If you want everything then drop an additional $20K to $40K more on a vehicle that has everything supposedly. But I suspect even then there will be something to complain about. Something that is missing. Of all the car "rags" I have read, critic reviews and personnel experience, to my knowledge, there has yet to be a vehicle labeled as perfect. There are the "ultimate" cars but they are not perfect. Just some of the best of what is available...not "all inclusive".

So yes it is a forum and we can state the pro's and con's or our "wishlist". Just remember...life is short. If what you have or the life you live is not what you want...then do something about it. Everyone have a blessed day :-)
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    What I find more perplexing is that my '09 MKS does not have turn indicators in the side view mirrors. These have become almost universal on better quality cars. My last two cars had them and I was really surprised when I finally noticed the MKS didn't.
    Did the '10 model add these?
    And really expensive cars like MBs and BMWs don't have a keyless entry keypad, either, which is a million times more useful than an underhood light IMO. You can nitpick all you want but for every feature you want that's missing I can find one that the competition doesn't have.

I can't believe that something you can add yourself for $10 in 10 minutes would be a deal breaker.
    My Lexus LS460 doesn't have one either, so I think it's pretty irrelevant at the price point of a Lincoln.
  • Excuse me, but no one, and certainly not me, said anything was a dealbreaker here. It is just nuts sometimes how a comment or feedback gets enhanced or misinterpreted. One apparently can't say anything that might be construed as constructive feedback without somebody getting all defensive about it. No car is perfect, and it is ok to truly love a car that is not absolutely perfect. Why anyone would even need to be reminded of that is beyond me.
    Sorry - I was responding to Bruce's no-sale statement about prop-rods. You never said it was a deal-breaker.

The point is a car of MKS caliber should have an underhood light, whether or not you ever use it. After all, so many non-luxury rides (even many econoboxes) have had one as standard equipment for decades. Ford has made great strides cleaning up their intentional cheapness, but there are a few spots yet to polish on the MKS.

If you had just said "I want an underhood light" then I would say fine. But you were implying that it was somehow required for the MKS to be competitive or that it was a huge mistake for Ford not to provide it - neither of which I agree with.

every other luxury car (and most non-luxury cars) in the world has one, it should be there. Period.

Apparently the WAY more expensive LS460 doesn't have one either. And I thought Lexus could do no wrong.......
  • Allen said:
    But you were implying that it was somehow required for the MKS to be competitive or that it was a huge mistake for Ford not to provide it - neither of which I agree with. And neither of which I said nor meant to imply. If that is how you choose to interpret it, then no wonder you get into so many pissing matches. For the record, a hood light is NOT required for competitiveness and leaving it out was NOT a huge mistake.

I prefer one for the reasons I have already clearly stated. But apparently I cannot say what small things I think should be included as a matter of course (like I think coat hooks should be included) without someone's hackles going up. I would never not buy a car that did not come standard with a hood light if I really liked the car. They are cheap to install (but of course that is why I think they should just be there...Ford saves almost zip by this move).

You thought Lexus could do no wrong? Where do you get that from? Did I somehow imply that too? I merely think that both these cars should have a hood light. That is my preference and does not imply anything else.

BTW, I just used the hood light on my F150 (standard equipment) when I needed to use jumper cables yesterday. Of course I could have just called my motor club and not opened the hood at all on either vehicle. Didn't care to wait, To each his own.
    At the risk of further inflaming this discussion, my observation on some high end cars is they may not put a light in there because they don't WANT you to lift the hood. Why I say that is my LS460 has the battery nearly under the cowl, and it is mighty hard to attach jumper cables to it. You really have to work at it, and put them under this cowl piece, or somehow take it out. Not sure how you jump this car, but clearly, Lexus doesn't want you to, so why put in the hood light? Practically no user serviceable points under there besides the oil. Now, Mercedes S Class doesn't use an oil dip stick, you get the oil level inside on the dash in a readout, so there is truly no reason to open your hood, particularly at night, right? ;)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    edited March 2010
    My wife and I have had 29 Audis, 3 BMW's, 3 VW's and, as I recall, a Chrysler Cordoba with fine Corinthian leather (all since 1975) -- yep, I am an old fart at 58.

I started down a path over the past 10 years of thinking it would be a good thing to have an American car. But I believe in voting with your dollars (in other words, if you buy a car you think is inferior but you buy it "just because" it was built in the US, well, you actually are contributing to the demise of the US car company who made your "inferior" ride; competition breeds better cars, i.e.) -- and there haven't been any American cars that even came close to the Germans, until the CTS came along.

Lincoln? Never even on the LONG list until about 6-7 months ago when I saw an MKS sitting in the space next to my 2009 Audi in a parking lot. I made a mental note to put in on the list (but I am 13-15 months out from ordering a new car and 17-18 months out from taking delivery.)

Ford? Below Lincoln, until I saw a couple of TV shows (no pun intended) featuring the SHO -- but even tho, it was powerful and glitzy, well, it was NOT a member of the LPS crowd (which I believe the MKS should be).

So, I am now looking at the long list (which, for the time being at least, includes two Americans: Lincoln [and Cadillac]) and starting here, as usual, with Edmunds.

Yet, I find out that pages and pages are devoted to an underhood light and that an MSRP $55,000+ MKS won't have one.

My nearly $80,000 Audi A8 didn't have one, my $53,000 A6 didn't and my $49,000+ A4 doesn't have one. But, then again, there is no dip stick (on new Audis) and, other than windshield washer fluid refills, no reason I can think of, ever, to open the hood -- but it doesn't have a prop stick, for what that is worth.

I am keen to learn how they drive (and not the kind of learning even an hour long test drive would likely reveal.) I gather they are quick and fast. I have downloaded the on-line brochure and they certainly seem to be a lot of car for the money.

But, other than the glaring underhood light omission, how does it drive on a curvy stretch of road. How are the brakes, the sound system the seats (supportive or Barco Lounger?) etc?

Assuming they go ahead and add the underhood light, well, this Lincoln "could be a contender!"

I am all ears, regale me with your driving enthusiast's impressions, opinions and facts.

And, BTW, it seems to me the hood should be only able to be opened by the service department with their special key. I mean after all, there probably aren't even "any user serviceable parts" under there anyway, are there?

Even the battery in my German cars is either under the back seat or in the spare tire wheel well. And, at least with the cars I am familiar with you can "never a jump-er or jump-ee be," the electronics won't tolerate that crap. Skull and Crossbones, Jumping is "verboten!"

Seriously, give up your best Car and Driver, Motor Trend or Road and Track review for someone looking (better said, hoping) to vote 'merican with his dollars about a year or so from now.
    Mark, I have had an MKS ecoboost since late September so I will share a few thoughts. Keep in mind that I am a Ford guy but I am not afraid to criticize them when I think they deserve it. I drove a Lincoln LS for 10 years because from the time that model was discontinued until the MKS ecoboost arrived, they didn't have anything that I would even consider and I was about ready to jump ship.

The MKS is softer and more of traditional American ride than a CTS. The CTS is smaller and more nimble - more like my LS. The MKS is certainly firmer and more handling responsive than a Cadillac DTS or Buick Lucerne but would not be the handler that the CTS is. The MKS seats are nicely bolstered and very supportive - again, not the lounges that you would find in a Cadillac DTS or Lincoln Town Car. In terms of quietness, the 2010 MKS is among the best.

The brakes have been criticized by the enthusiast press. If you did several 0 - 100 MPH and back to 0 stops in a row, no doubt they would pale in comparison to a more sporting machine. I have absolutely no complaints about the brakes but I really haven't put them to a harsh test, either. The pedal feel is like every other Ford I have ever driven - some would say soft - but I would say progressive in feel.

I think you will find the Sync and Nav systems to have the best voice recognition and most friendly capabilities in the industry. The adaptive headlights and rain-sensing wipers are superb.

The Ecoboost engine is fantastic, IMO. It is every bit as smooth as my LS V8, would eat it alive in acceleration, and gets better mileage. The car is geared very high - 60 MPH is around 1500 RPM. Since the torque peak is 1500 rpm, you have lots of power without downshifts and no engine noise until you put you foot in it. The AWD system is very confidence inspiring on wet or slippery roads.

The MKS is not perfect by any means. It is heavy, its weight distribution is not optimal and it is built on the same platform as a $25,000 Taurus. Ford basically did about all they could do with the platform and the available technology to build a competitive entry. They did a pretty good job of hiding the inherent shortcomings.

Much depends on the driving dynamics you like and what is important to you. Would I put the MKS up against an Audi A8, Lexus LS series or BMW 7 series? No way - not in the same league. An A6, Acura RL or Cadillac STS? Absolutely. CTS? Not in the same size class or aiming for the same market but I prefer the MKS hands down.

I hope you give the MKS ecoboost a good once over and let us know your thoughts.