Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln MKS

Comments

• Options
    heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Rocky, get a grip. There will be no HIPO mkz or s. Imagine all u want. Wishing and hoping wont get you into one of those. I suggest u look at a Chrysler or BMW. Ford has thrown in the towel.
  • Options
    I don't know about higher, but it will reach deeper into your pockets. What is your budget for a new car, Rocky?
  • Options
    Rocky;

I suggest you spend a little more time on Playboy.com
  • Options
    "I happen to think they can have it both ways - build the MKS to compete with the hi-tech Japanese models and build a RWD Continental with a big American V8 to appeal to the traditional American muscle car crowd. Of course the latter requires an all new RWD platform that doesn't yet exist, but I think that's where they need to go long term."

I agree, as does DiLorenzo and all the auto pundits who've written anything about Lincoln recently. However, there is NOTHING in the pipeline AFAIK re a new rear-wheel drive chassis and since Nasser and Billy got rid of most of the American engineers they had, I don't see one getting designed and built in the next 10 or more years. By then - Poof - too late. Hey wait, there is this great rear wheel chassis that Ford has right now - it's called the "DEW-98" Gee, maybe they could use that? HA, see, Allen, it ain't gonna happen. Lincoln is now nothing but a Mazda/Volvo clone - face it.
  • Options
    "the Continental that will be here by the end of the decade"

Which decade? Certainly not the current one.
  • Options
    savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Lincoln is too cheap as a brand to use sophisticated suspension from DEW-98. I am even not so sure that MKS will use aluminum suspension as Volvo does. My impression is that Ford wants to make luxury pure European concept. They talk about American luxury – but what means American luxury – Mercury Sable/Motego with leather seats? If it is not true why they removed Lincoln from Premier group and merged it with Ford/Mercury?
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    If it is not true why they removed Lincoln from Premier group and merged it with Ford/Mercury?

You're right STL - taking Lincoln out of the PAG was the demise of the brand. I was afraid that would be the case, and sadly, I was right.
  • Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Well one, I doubt that Continental will EVER be built, not by Ford, if there even is a Ford by the end of the decade - or next year. But a large, roomy sedan is a must for your showroom, and the Town Car is out of date, and no longer viable other than as a rental. Also, if the Continental did make it into production, IT would be an MKC or something.... what a pathetic way to try to emulate Cadillac.

I'm confident the Conti will be built. ;)

The MKS appears to be on the way to existence and I'll give it a good look. If it's comfortable like the S-80 and driving characteristics are similar, it has a real back seat and large doors, easy ingress and egress, and the interior is very nice as well as functional, I'd be very interested.

That is the way I feel. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    heyjewel, I respect your opinion, but you are being way to negative pal IMHO. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    I don't know about higher, but it will reach deeper into your pockets. What is your budget for a new car, Rocky?

Rocky's budget could be in the $50-60K MSRP range on a new car. It will boil down to negotiation. My choices for 2007-2009 include the Lincoln MKS, CTS-V, GMC Sierra Denaili, Escalade SUV & EXT hybrid, Saab 9-5, Saab 9-3, Volvo S80, and possible Buick Velite as my #1 choice if mage, others might include the new Holden Grand Prix and 09' Camaro. It boils down to what's available and decisions made in my personal life, and job at the time. MKS and CTS-V rank at the top of my list so far though. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    Negative or factual? ANd please don't call me pal.
  • Options
    Well, clearly, if the MKX is a bomb - what chance does the conti have to be built, and if so, be any good? A Conti with a prop rod and a 2 gear selector ain't gonna do it.
  • Options
    Well, first they'll need a MAzda to base it on, and the Millenia has been discontinued, hasn't it? There'll be no Conti. In fact, I'm beginning to believe there'll be no Lincoln or Mercury within 5 years. Think about it, Mercury is a Ford clone and Lincoln is barely an option package above a Ford. Who needs all 3? Solves the 'What will the Lincoln dealers do without Mercury?' question don't it? THere won't be any Lincoln dealers. There'll be Ford and Mazda and Volvo. That's it. Jag and LR no doubt will be soon sold.

THat's the future of the Ford Motor COmpany as I see it.
  • Options
    cowbellcowbell Member Posts: 125
    Can you get a CTS-V for 60k? I thought they were much more than that. And plus, I don't think you could negitiate much for such a limited production vehicle.

I'm sure I could just go look it up, but I'm lazy early in the morning. :)
  • Options
    The currents CTS-V is $53K. I don't have to negotiate since I get a GM employee discount on em'. On other makes and models outside of GM, I'd have to negotiate.

heyjewel, I apologize for calling you pal. I guess it's a habit of being nice, I'll try not to let it happen again.
    :(

Rocky
  • Options
    Any spy pics YET of the new MKS redesign that's suppose to be undertaken ?

Thanx,

Rocky
  • Options
    jd14jd14 Member Posts: 128
    Turns out the MKS is getting a V8. 315 horsepower, 6 speed automatic, AWD. Many cool features as well, including a panoramic roof and 20 inch stock rims...pretty neat for a sedan.

Go to autoblog.com for more details.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Wow - IF this is true (and somebody didn't just forget to update the press release) then that's quite an about face.

The naysayers will have to find something else to gripe about.
  • Options
    :>)

Well, before I go read about it, this naysayer will say if it's true, then I'll complain about Lincoln thrashing about with no cohesive sense of direction. THis could be just the 'change of the week.' More likely, it's a mistake.

OK, I read it. No clue of course if it's real or BS. But if it's real, it's just old news rereleased. I mean, this must be the "terribly expensive" V8 by that Japanese organ maker, right? Perhaps Ford was successful in twisting Yammy's arms behind their back til they cried uncle and lowered the price of the V8? Otherwise, the price of the MKS just went up by, what $2000-4000?

The most sensible thing would be for them to offer the V8 or supercharged V6 an option and the 3.5L std

BTW, also if this is true, then is the 3.7L gone? The supercharged 3.5L gone?

Lastly, interesting to read the comments on that site. Seems few people there are enamored of this 'flagship' either.
  • Options
    jd14, wow thanks for the update. ;) :shades:

Rocky
  • Options
    It's possible they worked something out with Yamaha. More likely they're looking to launch it with both the 3.7L V6 and the 4.4 V8 as an option and if it costs $2K more, so be it.

My guess is the Twin Turbo V6 wouldn't be ready at launch time and they decided it was better to have the V8 now even with a $2K penalty.

Remember Fields saying that the beancounters weren't making product decisions anymore? Maybe this is the first public sign. Image and perceptions over $$$.
  • Options
    akirby,

I agree with your post. Do you think 315 horsepower is enough ? I love the S80, but feel the 07' S80 even with it's new engine is short quite a few ponies. So the 3.7 is dead, assuming the post was true and accurate ?

Rocky
  • Options

Well, before I go read about it, this naysayer will say if it's true, then I'll complain about Lincoln thrashing about with no cohesive sense of direction. THis could be just the 'change of the week.' More likely, it's a mistake.

Or Mulally taking control as he did cancelling the cancellation of the Town Car....
  • Options
    Anything with more than 300 hp is "enough" unless you're drag racing.
  • Options
    LOL, well I can't say I'd agree with ya on that one when some of the competition is offering alot more power. I've never understood the notion of car company's not having the aspirations to be #1 in power and performance, or at least be more than just competitive. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Won't it be problematic controlling 315 horses through the front wheels?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    i believe the V8 only comes with AWD.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I think AWD will be standard on all MKS models.
  • Options
    maybe. I believe the S80 6-cylinder is FWD, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar setup on the MKS, if a 6-cylinder is offered.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    It's technically possible but indications are that all MKS will be AWD. OTOH it would allow them to have a lower advertised base price, so it's possible.
  • Options
    They should give the customer the choice.
  • Options
    scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    If they intend to offer a V-6, FWD, 5000 pound, "luxury" car, they should just save the money and kill Lincoln now.

Hmmm... a V-6 standard sedan pimped up with AWD to disguise it's true origin?

How well did that same plan work for Jaguar?
  • Options
    just where are you coming up with 5k lbs??

Ya know, volvo and acura seem to manage just fine with 6 and fewer cylinders and FWD/AWD as the only options.

• Options
    Well, 5000lb is likely an exaggeration, but it will likely be close to the 4600 lb Edge/MKX.

Regardless, your comment "volvo and acura seem to manage just fine with 6 and fewer cylinders and FWD/AWD" helps make my point.

We already have perfectly good Volvos and Acuras--Why do we need another bad imitation?

How well did Cadillac's market share do when they went that way during the 90's?
  • Options
    We already have perfectly good Volvos and Acuras

While that's true, how does any other configuration not just look like an imitation of other luxury brands?

As for weight, considering the S80 tops out at 3800 lbs, I expect the MKS V8 AWD to be very close.

• Options
    The MKS is a significantly larger car than the S80, for one thing.
  • Options
    It is??? But its based on the outgoing S80 platform. And it is slotted below the towncar in size. So I think you may be incorrect, or at least pushing that exaggeration envelope again.

• Options
    comp386comp386 Member Posts: 56
    Ford Five Hundred AWD weighs 3825 lbs. So with the larger engine, I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 4000, but it wouldn't go too far beyond that. Lincoln is also getting a slightly bigger engine (3.7L versus 3.5) to give itself a little more oomph. My sources at Ford tell me that the MKS will get a V8 that's more powerful than the Yamaha 4.4L that's in the Volvo S80. They're very hush hush about what it actually is though.
  • Options
    No exaggeration at all. The MKS will have a 114" wheelbase, which is getting large for a FWD car (and remember, the Crown Vic is only 114"--and it is RWD, where normally you expect a longer WB to get the same interior room). And the MKS is 203" long, which is about as long as the Expedition, and at least as long as the Buick Lucerne, a large car. By most any yardstick, it is big--except if you compare to to pteradactyls like the Town Car. Those big Panther Fords harken back to an era when stylists liked long front and rear overhangs with unintegrated bumpers and lots of blue sky between the engine, radiator and grill. It didn't translate into more leg room.

The S80 is roomy enough but it is a foot shorter overall with a shorter wheelbase. A tidier car really in my book.
  • Options
    no matter how you slice it, I'm pretty darned sure this car is NOT going to weigh 5k or even 4600 lbs.

I think the poster above you comes closest by pointing out the 500 comes in at 3800, so expect around 4k lbs.

We started about 800 lbs apart, so if it breaks 4200 lbs, i owe ya a beer.

oh ... wait ... but you said 5k lbs with a V6. ;b
    so if it breaks 4200 lbs with the v6 ... then i owe ya.

• Options
    I've never understood the notion of car company's not having the aspirations to be #1 in power and performance, or at least be more than just competitive.

They should let you RUN GM, Rocky, not just work there.... You get it! :surprise:
  • Options
    Well ...

there are some blogs and at least one dealer now saying that the V8 information we just read is based on 6 month old literature that Ford mistakenly redistributed.

Apparently we're back to no V8 in the MKS.

Go here for the sad news:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/07/lincoln-mks-to-get-a-v8-after-all/

Geez, the Keystone Cops used to drive Fords, now they make em!
  • Options
    Complete Bozos.
  • Options
    Rocky works? At GM??? ANd he's here drooling over the MKS?

If I got a GM discount I would be saving my pop cans for the new CTS. Here's a link to a drawing and peek or 2. If this thing has a nice interior and offers a 6speed manual with the 3.6L V6, I think I've found the replacement for my Getrag LS. Though I am hoping the illustration is exaggerating the 'cow-catcher' front end.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/08/2008-cadillac-cts-to-debut-at-detroit-auto-sh- - - ow/

Interesting quote:
    "There are roughly 275,000 CTS owners worldwide, and industry researchers say they are among the most satisfied in the automotive market. AutoPacific rated CTS as the top Entry Luxury Car in its annual Vehicle Satisfaction Awards in 2006."
  • Options
    Here I go replying to myself again, but I gotta say - I was just over at the '2008 CTS' discussion board and darned if our own local billionaire, rockylee, aint over there swearin on a stack-o-bibles that he's gettin himself a CTS. Unless he gets a Denali. Hoo-ha, too much.
  • Options
    nvbanker, thank-you. :) I'll hire you as my assistant. ;)

Rocky
  • Options
    heyjewel, I don't work for GM, but most of my family does/has in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Rocky
  • Options
    If you had read most of my posts you would of seen I like these cars and anyone of them could end up in my garage. heyjewel I'm subject to change and day or any week. But currently my short-list which has stayed pretty consistent over the last few months includes: Top-11

#1 desired car on my short-list is the 2008-2009 Cadillac CTS or CTS-V.

#2 2008-09' or as you say 2010? Lincoln MKS AWD.

not any order of desirability

#3 (2007' or 08' GMC Sierra Denali hybrid-will have test drive and see what gadgets is on it)

#4 2008-2010 Saab 9-5 sedan or 9-3 convertible,

#5 2008' Cadillac Escalade SUV hybrid.

#6 2008-2009 Holden-Pontiac Grand Prix w/ LS-7 V-8

#7 09' Chevy Camaro

#8 a if built Volvo C-70 "R" high-performance convertible

#9 2007' Volvo S80

#10 Buick Enclave

#11 Lincoln MKZ AWD w/ 3.7 V-6? and over 300 hp.

The car I'd buy without a doubt if built tomorrow would be the 04' Buick Velite Concept Convertible :shades:

So yeah my list is long but I being a car buff have pretty broad tastes and can go many different ways depending on what used cars I buy in the next month and how expensive my next home I'm going to buy will be.

LOL, I'm very far from a billionaire, but do consider myself better off than most americans. I also don't recall stack o' bibles' anything on the CTS-V, but it is at the very top of my list because I do get a GM employee discount from my father which helps make it easier to swallow a GM pill. ;)

Thanx for the post and I hope I don't offend you by replying to it. I don't want you to dislike me and I don't have any hard feelings torwards you.

-Back to your regular scheduled programming.-

Rocky
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You add a lot of fun to these Forums, rocky, so I doubt that anyone is offended by you :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    You put the Saab 9-5 over the Volvo S80?!? :surprise:

But, it's the 2008 Saab versus the 2007 Volvo. Is Saab making some changes to the 9-5?

Sorry, back to LincolnLand.