Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Future Chevrolet Camaro

Comments

• casullcasull Member Posts: 17
    First of all, any information appearing in ANY automotive magazine regarding the new corvette (sting ray, SS, Z07, whatever the designation du jour is) or the 2009 Camaro is pure speculation. NO ONE knows for sure what the specifications of either car will be (let alone the "requirements" to purchase one). I can quote you several magazines that have supposed "information" on the new Camaro and they will all three be different.

The specifications you quoted earlier sound like they just copied the specifications from the concept assuming it would be the same in the production version. Although i wouldn't rule out a 350ish hp entry level V-8, I HIGHLY doubt we will see any iteration of the LS2 by 2009 as this is supposed to be the last year for it.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    I suppose it is at least possible that the 2009 Camaro might utilize ( something close to ) the 2 drivetrains already announced by GM for the RWD 2008 Pontiac G8.

The G8, according to Mr. Lutz, is to sell against the DC 300C & friends – strongly suggesting a base in the low 30s for the V8 version.

That’s with the L76 ( with DoD renamed: AFM ) version of the 6.0L V8 and 362 \ 391 ratings for HP \ TQ ( on regular gas ) – and GM’s 6L80 six speed automatic w/manual shift capability.

** IF ** such a drivetrain is available early next year in the G8, and GM \ Pontiac does indeed price it against the 300C ( it looks to me like the 5.7L Hemi V8 currently starts at MSRP $35.5K – but is selling at more like $32.5K )

The 4.6L \ 300 HP Mustang GT, with only option = 5 speed automatic, MSRP is currently near $27K & selling for near $26K. From what I have see, the top performance Camaro appears more likely to be designed to slot in just below or as direct competition for something like the Ford Shelby GT ( Mustang )

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0704_2007_ford_shelby_gt

This price level, I think, would allow for that 362 HP V8 and the six speed automatic ( or 6 speed manual ) to be a driveline choice.

I could be wrong. ( Ask my ex-wife. )

I hope I am not.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Basically enjoying driving a GM vehicle currently, with 6.0L V8 and that 6 speed automatic trans.
    2022 X3 M40i
    "This price level, I think, would allow for that 362 HP V8 and the six speed automatic ( or 6 speed manual ) to be a driveline choice."

I think I see what you are trying to say. I guess that all depends on whether the LS3 will be any more expensive to produce than the L76. Since they are based on the same basic block architecture, my assumption is that the LS3 will not be much more expensive than the L76, so it wouldn't make much sense to offer both unless you artifically inflate the cost of the LS3 based Camaro.

I don't think GM needs to keep the power ratings close to the Mustang for any reason. If there is a 50-100 hp difference between the Camaro V8 and the Mustang GT, then that is just a bigger buying incentive to choose Camaro instead of Mustang. Unless providing an L76 based powerplant would offer substantial benefits over the LS3 in other areas such as fuel costs or cheaper insurance rates (which I highly doubt it would) then I say just leave it out.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I saw the new Camaro last week at the New York Auto Show. It was a beautiful convertible. I'm starting to save $$$ for it right now.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    From the article:

"Lutz declared it's too late to stop the Camaro, but said "anything after that is questionable," apparently including Camaro derivatives and the Impala sedan."

So it appears from this that the Camaro is still a go. But if ever tighter fuel standards/CO2 standards are a big issue, will a BIG V8 still be the 'obvious' choice for a base V8?
    This whole thing is a load of crap IMO... It really throws a kink into everything. The whole situation is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction tot he whole "global warming" craze as of late, and I guarantee you that it has more to do with Bush's intentions of cutting the middle east off of the cash cow that is America's addiction to oil.

Eitherway, I still think the LS3 will appear, but as for a base V8... the L76 is looking like a prime candidate.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I've been following this Camaro discussion and it seems to emphasize the performance elements of the Camaro -how it compares with the Mustang, etc. I hope that -like the Mustang - a wide range of models are available. I want the smallest and most economical six and automatic. I want it to look like a sports car but want it to drive like my 2006 Impala. Comfort is more important to me than handling. My old 2001 Malibu rode like a Cadillac compared to the 2006 Toyota Solara convertible that I had the misfortune to own for a month until I could dump it. Stiff ride, lots of convertible flex, etc but loved by the car writers and most owners for some obscure reason. What I'm looking for in the Camaro is a sporty convertible that drives like an Impala LT2. I'm probably the Lone Ranger in this discussion group!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    What would be the point? I mean I hope you aren't disappointed when the car is stiff, has a MT!

What you really want is a convertible STS or CTS!

:)

-mike
    I expect that the new Camaro will offer several different engines and suspensions just like the Mustang does. GM will have to tailor the car to different buyers just like Ford does. The old Camaro could have been ordered with a number of options from rental car austere to a performance model. I wouldn't mind a CTS convertible and will look at one when it comes out. If I was just interested in power I'd buy a used Ferrari. Plenty are available and it will beat anything produced by GM hands down.
    Well the camaro is a sports car, and I wouldn't expect there to be too many variations of it, similar to the G8 and the GTO. You might get a V6 model but I wouldn't expect there to be a gazzillion different combinations as found on the Rustang.

-mike
    Motorsports and Tuning Host
    It will be interesting to see how it is marketed. The last version of the Camaro came in tame and sporty versions. GM won't want it to compete with the G6 convertible so you are probably right. It may be marketed only as a performance sports car. If so it will die on the vine as soon as gas goes up or "Global Warming" is taken seriously ,which equates to more Governmental control of emissions, gas mileage, etc. You may not like the Mustang but it sells to a wide range of buyers and I think that Camaro will have to do the same. Even back in the days of the 70's GTO Granny could get something that resembled a GTO from a distance but was just a normal compact (an intermediate now).
    I wouldn't count on it. This car will likely be expensive, and fall somewhere just south of the vette. As for gas prices? Doubt it will effect it at all, the people buying these cars will likely not care really. I know a lot of High Performance boats (cigarette boats) that are buying these up, and when you get 1 mpg in your boat, no matter how bad the milage of the sports car it won't effect you.

-mike
    I guess I'm missing the boat (no pun intended!). I figured that the new Camaro would be priced about like the last version. If it will be in the high 30's or low '40's and will appeal to people who want a bigger Corvette with a back seat, you are totally right. There would be no reason to produce a car for mass consumption and it would certainly have a leg up on the Mustang. It would be in the Corvette category and neither Ford nor Chrysler have any competitive cars. I probably will opt for a CTS convertible but will look around. I have am '03 Deville, '06 Impala, '05 Odyssey (wife's real estate car), and an '86 Silverado 4WD so I'm not really a Corvette customer! I did have a Jag in California in the '60's and spent most of my time at the dealer. Ditto my new '86 Audi -the favorite of the car writers. I also superdetailed a 2000 Mustang convertible and put it in shows but I became paranoid about it and rain, mud, etc. so I sold it and bought the old truck to restore. I'm happy with GM. thanks. Karl
    Karl,

Yeah I'm definitely thinking that the sticker on this car will be over $30k, probably around $32k->40k. Maybe a 6 cylinder will eak in at $28k. Then you figure with the usual rebates etc looking at street prices 25k->35k for most, with a full blown one well over 40k and closer to 50k for a "special" one. Like the SRT8 Charger full bore is selling for $45k-47k!

-mike
    The most current ** GUESSES ** regarding G8 pricing ( including quotes from Mr. Lutz ) strongly suggest the V6 version to start at $25K-ish and the V8 version to start at $30K\$32K-ish.

If true, I’d expect the Camaro to be at least a couple of grand less, at each engine level, to start. $23K for a V6 & $28-30K for a V8.

I think that if they price it any higher, they will not be competitive. Because the Mustang V6 and GT V8 will ( still ) be priced substantially lower.

If you look at a Camaro as a shorter G8, with a smaller back seat & no rear doors ( way oversimplified, but I suspect many people will perceive it thus ) it would likely be perceived as ‘worth less’ – regardless of the exterior styling.

Just my $2K worth . . .

- Ray
    Ready for my test drive . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Hmm it would be nice to price it below the price of the GTO but wasn't the MSRP on those $32-33k???

-mike
    "I wouldn't count on it. This car will likely be expensive, and fall somewhere just south of the vette."

That is interesting becasue it directly contradicts any and all information given by GM or the Camaro community in genral.

It has been stated and confirmed that the Camaro will be priced within a few hundred of the Mustang. I hardly call that Corvette territory. GM is looking to sell 100k units a year, and I think they know that if it is priced too high that they will not come anywhere near that target. I would expect the top of the line 550 HP version to be in the vette territory, but come on now... why wouldn't it be?

Even if you account for inflation, a 2002 Z28 still comes in below $30k in 2009 dollars. There is no way a base V8 is going to be anywhere near $35k......
    The GTO did not enjoy the economies of scale that the Camaro will have to help lower the price. Not to mention, I would have to think that GM learned their lesson with the GTOs pricing.
    Let's hope so. I'm no mustang fan and would love nothing more than to see the Camaro do well. Just trying to be realistic on how GM has been pricing their cars lately, which has been higher than expected for what you get (CTS, GTO, etc)

-mike
    "Not to mention, I would have to think that GM learned their lesson with the GTOs pricing. "

Lutz has said exactly that...
    - Ray
    Waiting ( oh, so very ) patiently...
    2022 X3 M40i
    I would think that GM would put out some word on pricing. I agree that if it is slated to sell 100k units they will have to compete with the Mustang price-wise. I still think that there will be a price leader -something that can be equipped to LOOK like a sports car but still will have a V6, soft ride suspension, and probably a 4 speed automatic. The sales gimmick will be that it is still a Camaro. You can buy a V6 Mustang or get a Cobra. They are still Mustangs and look similar. GM will have a long way to go to beat the Mustang heritage and image. The Mustang Club of America covers ALL Mustangs right up to the newest ones. It didn't use to in the '80's when I had an '83 convertible. The club was only interested in the "classic" models (1964.5 up to 1973). There are Camaro clubs around but nothing like MCA. Don't get me wrong. I am looking forward to buying a Camaro -I've had two Mustangs and sold both of them - but GM needs to appeal to the masses if they expect to sell cars.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    One comment on the appeal of the Camaro...I think the Mustang does a really good job of appealing to both sexes, but from what I've seen the Camaro seems very male skewed. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, but as you said, you can buy a V6 Mustang (the "secretary's car" back in the day) or a Cobra, but they're all Mustangs and there's a common bond there. I see the Camaro skewing more to the Cobra end of the spectrum in that regard.
    I'm sure they don't sell 100,000 Covettes or Cobras in any given year so if the Camaro is to reach those sales figures they will have to price it in the mid to high 20's for a base model and then appeal to the performance buffs by putting out 35-40k models with V8's etc. They may go with the LS,LT,SS designations with variances in between. The Camaro and Firebird were always male cars. I guess the old Daytona was too. I bought my high school daughter a new '89 red Daytona Turbo and she said that it was a guy's car so all the guys were jealous of her. She got more dates when she had the '83 Mustang.
    Maybe armed with that info I can convince my wife that I should get a Camaro instead of a Malibu in a couple of years...my oldest daughter turns 16 in 2009, so if she were to borrow my car to go out on the weekends, she would intimidate guys in the Camaro and they'd leave her alone. As a concerned father I think that'd be the logical thing to do. :)
    I think that what is important is the safety of the automobile. I was ressurecting my past when I bought my daughter the cars like I that I had when I was a kid -'56 Ford convertibles, etc. Send a note to me and I'll continue this discussion. It is getting off topic.
    I'll try to bring it back on topic then, and tie in what you're saying. I've always been a fan of the '67 Mustang fastback, and I've often thought it would make sense for me to buy such a car, and basically drive it forever. I figure even if I drive it and the engine goes out on it, I just drop in a new engine and the car would still hold it's value...whereas buying a new Mustang you know the car will depreciate. However, it doesn't take too much driving of an antique car like that to realize as a daily driver there's something to be said for things like 4-wheel disc brakes, good air conditioning, ABS, air bags, crumple zones. etc. etc. That's where I think cars like the upcoming Camaro that conjure up thoughts of the old car, but are thoroughly modern in terms of safety and reliability make more sense.

I inherited a 1980 El Camino last year, and as fun as it might be to tinker with and drive around, it really is scary how unsafe that truck feels versus my 2000 Impala. Cars have gotten much better over the years, and I'd much rather turn my kid loose in the Impala than I would the El Camino (even though the El Camino is less powerful and barely capable of breaking the speed limit).

So if I have a choice of buying a restored '69 Camaro for $30k or a brand new '09 for the same price, I'd get the new one. On the other hand, if I had enough money that the car was going to be more of a weekend ride than a daily driver, I'd might be tempted to buy them both! :)
    I meant to send me a personal email. My address is on the profileand I'll talk about suitable cars for teens. I had a 2000 Mustang convertible as a weekend/show car last year. I became paranoid about it -refused to drive it in the rain, superdetailed it, etc. I now have an 86 Silverado 4x4 short bed I feel the same way about .Unlike your El Camino though it feels very safe and anybody who hits it will come off second best lack of crumple zones not withstanding. Getting back to the last generation Camaro, it is night and day better than the old 70's models. I remember the old '78 Firebirds and Camaros that shook you to pieces at a stoplight. They needed to rev up to 3,000 RPM or so before they smoothed out. The folks who morn the passing of the muscle cars probably don't remember this quirk but I do and I look forward to the new model. As I said earlier I want the base convertible with a V6, hopefully a 4 speed automatic (the lag on the Fords and Mercury 6 speeds is annoying) and a Bose stereo.
    I know this is going to veer off topic, but if for some unfortunate reason BOSE does become the upgraded stereo option, do yourself a favor and save your money! Bose audio components are cheap and flimsy. They have done a fabulous job of developing a miraculous marketing ploy convincing consumers that they are top notch premium equipment, when, for half of the money, you can get components that sound twice as good.

"Friends don't let friends buy BOSE"
    Frankly I tend to agree after last wekend. I have the Bose system in my '06 Impala and both the standard stereos in the cheap Mazda 3 I rented in Chicago last Saturday and a friend's new Fusion sound much better than mine. The Fusion is really nice -great depth of sound -the whole car sounds like a speaker. My '03 Deville also sounds better and it only has the standard stereo. I'll take your advice. The Bose system sounds shrill even with the treble turned down. I had Bose Acoustimass speakers at home and they didn't have good base even with the base module on the floor. I didn't try out an Impala with standard sound but from what I hear there isn't much difference between that and the Bose. The Fusion was great though. GM needs to get with the program.
    So back on track. The national unveiling fo the 2008 Corvette was this weekend and they have officially released the numbers on the new LS3. This motor BETTER make it into the Camaro.

It has 430 HP (436 HP with optional exhaust upgrade) and 424 ftlb of torque! Looks like GM is going to own the modern day muscle car wars. The Challenger's 425 hp Hemi and what ever the Mustang will have by then will be no match for this beast.

I can't wait for it to be sitting in my driveway!
  • piasonpiason Member Posts: 55
    It will be priced in the same lines as the Mustang starting around 20K.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I expect an SS version (LS7 engine) will sell for ~50 grand:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=121028/pageNumber=1
  • stuckinohiostuckinohio Member Posts: 26
    I think it's a shame Chevy didn't have any to sell, because if they had a booth in the parking lot with Camaros on hand, they would have sold out. The audience reaction was absolutely overwhelming when the car made it's appearance onscreen. There was an audible gasp as everyone took a collective breath, the crowded theater cheered and clapped. It was a pretty cool reaction to the car. Figuring many people aren't caraholics like us internet enthusiasts, they might very well have been seeing the Camaro the first time. And it was goooood.
  • david_smithdavid_smith Member Posts: 2
    For me to buy this car, I want it made IN AMERICA and no where else. Canada for me is just a matter of crossing Ambassador Bridge. Its close to America but it is not America. If I want a car I want it to be made here in America. I already have an impala made in canada and i regreat not buying a true american car.
    Well, if you're going to split hairs, technically Canada is IN America, as is Mexico. I know you mean the United States OF America (as do most when they use the term), and don't get me wrong, I agree with you on principle (even though I also drive a "Canadian" Impala). But I suspect a lot of what would be considered classic "American" cars were actually produced in Canada (I know my previous '67 Dodge Polara was). In the modern world economy we live in, I personally feel you've got to look at where the profits go for a vehicle as well. I'd rather drive a Canadian-made Impala than an Ohio-built Accord, because the profits from the Accord go overseas.

That's why I'm looking forward to the new Malibu - made in the USA pretty much no matter how you slice it (though some of the platform design may have European ancestry, since it's tied to the Saturn Aura, which in turn stems from an Opel).
  • david_smithdavid_smith Member Posts: 2
    Well the Car is a U.S.A car, and that is why i bought it because the profits go back to GM a car company. But for an American Muscle car, it needs to be built here in Detroit to bring us back up and to help our economy to give more jobs to those who need it here desperately.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Well then, should a German not buy an Opel made in Germany, while having the profits go to GM of USA? It works both ways ya know in a World economy. The Ohio built Honda Accord is mostly American made parts and event the engine is made in the USA. All along the way, people have profited from the building to selling of that car. Just a thought.

Of the Camaros, the first generation is still my favorite, followed by the fourth gen. up to '97, which is pre-Concord look nose (though not the worst in history-just not an improvement). The second generation is yet another good looking car, and the third generation was in some ways a good looking car, if not quite so sturdy or solid looking. The fifth generation seem too - too, as in tallish belt line, excessive width and sort of out of proportions compared to the original. A classic '97 Z28 is gonna look leaner and sleeker. Could be long term buy and hold car. And those SS in fourth gen. really a bargain.
    Loren
    All I'm saying is people defected from US automakers because of quality issues from 20+ years ago...those issues are by and large history. People in the US pay a premium to buy German vehicles for the prestige/performance that goes along with them (but they aren't more reliable than most US cars). People pay a premium to buy Japanese vehicles for the perceived improved quality they provide, but in reality they're no better (or worse) than US makes.

And for complete disclosure my wife drives a "J"-VIN Honda Accord, so don't get the impression I'm closed minded on the subject. If driving a Japanese-made car gives her the peace of mind she needs to get through her day, I've got no problem with that. But for me, I don't see the advantage.

But to bring the discussion back to the future Camaro, I went to see the Transformers movie today, and as much as the logical side of me leans towards buying a Malibu Hybrid in a year or so, there's a part of me that hopes a 6-cylinder Camaro will cost about the same, and only get slightly worse gas mileage. At least I could get a subdued color that doesn't scream "mid-life crisis". :)
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Check into the hybrid gas mileage and you will see little gain over the i4. It still has a 4 sp. Best buy in the Malibu will likely be the 3.6V6. Try out an Aura XR with that 3.6 and the 6 sp. = very quick. Now a Camaro with RWD and that 3.6 V6 would be nice. That is if the car was smaller / lighter. Our streets are so narrow around here, the door handles and mirrors may not stay on that super-sized Camaro. The concept car, using the first generation as inspiration and basic roof-line is just a great idea. Loved the old one.

Another cool looking car is the Solstice Coupe, which I have not heard about going into production. Lower the doors and put a decent left side arm rest on the door, and the Solstice looks pretty cool. The hardtop coupe has a nice line flow to the rear and addresses the problem of no roll bar on the convertible models.

So is it next year for production of the Camaro? Wonder if they will add plastic fenders, and/or some aluminum on the car to bring weight down. Gas mileage has to be on upside every year, and the car seems like it will need to shed pounds. I do hope they use the 3.6 V6 with a 6sp for auto. and a nice 6sp. for the stick, while keeping prices down around $24K.
    Loren
    The gain of the hybrid over the i4 is about the difference between my 3.8lV6 Impala and my wife's 4-clyinder Accord. 2-3 MPG isn't a huge difference, but if I can leapfrog from being a few MPG beneath her Accord to a few above it, that makes a big difference. If I got the standard 4-cylinder I'd feel like I was catching up with her Accord; but if the mild hybrid can make that much difference yet again it might be worth it. The key will be pricing of the two - that and driving them back-to-back to see how differently they drive.

I haven't seen any specs for the production Camaro, but I do recall the concept car was really wide. I think the Camaro is supposed to be a 2009 model, which may or may not mean we'll see it in 2008. The Malibu is supposed to be a 2008, but last I read it won't go into production until October, which will barely make it available this year. The RWD Impala has supposedly been pushed back to 2011 (so we MIGHT see it in 2010).

Realistically I'll likely end up with a Malibu this time around, but then get my true mid-life crisis vehicle 8-10 years later (when my kids are out of the house, and the house will be paid off!).
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    If it can't even sniff the Camry Hybrid, it just makes the Toyota system look that much better.

The Camaro might be pushing 77-78" wide! :surprise:

A well-equipped V6 I would expect around $23-24k.

DrFill
  • sharkman1sharkman1 Member Posts: 19
    Yes it is a shame, I think waiting til 2009 or 2010 is a mistake that car should be on the road today as an '08 at this point. It did look good sitting still when it moved it looked like it was CGI. The fact that they are not for sale made the idea of one driving thru the tunnel at that moment kind of silly. By the way, what happened to that driver?? And where did the old camaro go after the tranformer switched cars?? It was on two wheels! :confuse:
  • rle4lunchrle4lunch Member Posts: 4
    Unfortunately, a LOT of the same problems continue to plague the American car companies. Half of my family worked for GM on the assembly lines, and not ONE of them will own another one. I still bought a 92 Camaro because I still had faith at the time. That piece of expletive cost me so much money I got rid of it within 13 months.

I'm not saying that all American cars are junk, but the problem is consistancy, nothing more. The can roll 5 cars off the line in a row, and each one will have different lines on it, not matching the others.

The fit and finish up the Japanese cars (and some German) make GM/Ford/Dodge look really bad. Really bad.

Sorry.
  • bigdrillbigdrill Member Posts: 1
    One the finished product is not sitting in some garage while some guy laughs it up. It would be a mistake to release an unfinished sorry excuse for a camaro. They are trying to get it right...Thats why they make the big bucks. Is it far fetched to have a new camaro driving in a movie about transformers...really! Lastly Neither car disapered if you paid attention to the movie and not all the shiny things you would have figured out that they could scan whatever vehical they wanted and become said vehicle...Don't mean to be blunt, but I wasted my time reading your post thinking you had something to say, :lemon:
    Lets back it down a bit bigdrill. I never said either car disappeared. I just wanted to know what happened to the car on two wheels, and someone was driving the new camaro when Bumble Bee took over. I don't think the car is just sitting in a garage somewhere. This car has been in development for several years and they're risking the retro fad beeing over. Ford didn't wait 5+ yrs for a retro mustang, '04 regular '05 retro. Where were you chevy? Your coming from behind. Instead of forcing the SS(we don't need a camaro)R on us you should've had the next camaro ready. :sick:
    My fear is by the time these RWD Camaros and Impalas hit the showrooms, gas prices will have climbed even higher, and no one will be interested in them...let's hope Chevy has a Volt-like vehicle ready about the same time; otherwise they'll be in a real bind. I guess they'll offer a V6 in these, so they might see more a shift that direction, but I have a feeling we're on the edge of another downsizing period, which seems counter to the direction GM is headed.
    I'm sure they will have V6s & small V8s thru out the line. If they price them so people can afford them thats even better.
  • yorknavyswccyorknavyswcc Member Posts: 1
    You know everytime they come out with a concept like this they are soo awsome, and everytime they go into production all the things that made the car stand out among the rest is gone. So what I want to know is how much is the style gonna change and the interior features, as well as the body lines that some say look a little rough I say look really sharp. As is they have me sold and I cant wait for them to cross the show room floor because as soon as it does they will see me there.
  • bigblockrulzbigblockrulz Member Posts: 4
    Only if the groups of environmentalists would back off and let us drill for oil in Alaska. Our gas price would be less than $1 per gallon. Look at Kuwait... $.78 cents a gallon.

Want Muscle Cars?...Drill Alaska!
This discussion has been closed.