Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    My "rules" for buying a new car were 1) must get better gas mileage than my current car and 2) must be as big/safe as my current car -- otherwise there was really no "need" to buy a new car. That pretty much ruled out everything except the TCH!

The Camry 4 cyl fits all your "requirements" (bigger interior/bigger trunk, better gas mileage, better performance) for thousands less than a TCH.

If you want a TCH, fine.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I was simply extrapolating from $2000, since that is what Toyota thinks the premium should be for its V6 over the 4 cyl.

Could it simply be that the V6 costs $2000 more than the 4c to manufacture?
  • hybridriverhybridriver Member Posts: 77
    The Camry 4 cyl fits all your "requirements" (bigger interior/bigger trunk, better gas mileage, better performance) for thousands less than a TCH.

If you want a TCH, fine.

Dude, what is your agenda?

There are lots of intangibles to owning a Hybrid. Everytime I ride in a "normal car", it just feels wrong to have the engine running at a dead stop, for example. Or being able to drive 600 miles on a tank of gas.

Every decision in life doesn't come down strictly to economics, and it's not like the Hybrid "penalty" is anything like outlandish, in any case.
  • gc77584gc77584 Member Posts: 65
    I had a Camry 4cyl. A 1 or 2 mpg increase in a 2007 vs my 1998 is negligible as would be any increase in the car's size. A 2007 4 cyl Camry would be "new" but would not be much improvement, if any, in either of those areas. I was not interested in sacrificing safety/size for better gas mileage by buying a Corolla or Prius, nor was I willing to sacrifice gas mileage for safety/size by buying an Avalon or ES350.

Yes, I wanted a new car, I didn't need a new car. And yes, I wanted a TCH. But as long as I'm buying a new car, my intent is to save gas (not necessarily money, as someone else has mentioned) without sacrificing safety to do so. A 16 mpg improvement in city driving -- EPA figures for 2007 4cyl at 24mpg vs TCH at 40mpg -- is a fairly significant difference when my daily commute is 20 miles/45+ minutes in stop & go traffic. Will I "save" the difference in gas costs? No, probably not, but then I never expected to.
  • hamm3rhamm3r Member Posts: 55
    I noticed that when I power down the car, it displays a quick graph by the speedometer that tells how many MPG you got on this trip. The problem is that the display quickly disappears. I tried powering the car back up to find the display, but can't bring it back up. Anyone know how to easily display the MPG for the most recent trip?

I noticed that with the navigation screen you can watch your MPG in (maybe 5 minute intervals?) for the last 30 minutes, but this doesn't help me see MPG for the most recent trip.

Anyone know how?
    It might be interesting to see what the Previous vehicle(s) were:
    I know of one where it was ...

1. 1/4 ton pickup
    2. 1/2 ton pickup ( 20 yrs old )
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45

Addon as you wish..
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The Camry 4 cyl fits all your "requirements" (bigger interior/bigger trunk, better gas mileage :surprise: , better performance :surprise: ) for thousands less than a TCH.

When you make posts like this ... oh never mind..LOL.
    His requirements were compared to his present car!!!
    Actually he just dislikes everything about everybody except that he bought an XLE 4c and he believes everyone else should follow his example... andhe enjoys being nasty to other posters.

Another poster mentioned immature and that seems about right.
    $2000 is the typical difference between a 4c and a 6c in all Toyota's where both exist. Typically the V6 holds it's market value somewhat better and the 4c's tend to get beaten down in price so actually the difference can run to $3000-4000.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    Aanother thread asks:
    What would you buy if you had 40k burning a hole in your pocket? Your needs are: sporty, yet comfortable on the highway; 4 seats minimum; over 28 mpg. (yes, we also want reasonable reliability)
    calidave, "Best vehicle for $40,000" #1, 5 Dec 2005 5:05 pm

I'd say the TCH fits this pretty well. Your thoughts?
  • sandetmsandetm Member Posts: 7
    I got my TCH last Fri. I didn't have a lot of trouble. I live in a fairly small town in NW Ohio and was the first one on the list. I put $1,000 down to either accept or decline what they got in. I originally wanted the Nav system, but was told by two different dealers that you couldn't get it without getting leather and I really did not want leather(guess I'm in the minority on that). First one in was Barcelona Red and WOW!! Was that sharp!! Although tonight on my way home from work I had a Grey SE pass me (go figure, I'm trying to max FE) It really looked sharp as well, especially with the side cladding. I think I would have touted either one as the sharpest depending on which I got.

My salesman called me yesterday to make sure everything was ok, and it occurred to me that this is the first new car I have ever purchased that didn't have any fit and finish or operating issues (my first Toyota). Nothing to take it back and have adjusted or fixed. That is a testiment to the how these things are built. I'll go into that in another posting.

Most of you will probably go "duh" from my only issue, but when I picked it up I drove several places in town trying to keep the gas from kicking in and did fairly well. I came home and put a coat of wax on and was listening to the stereo for about an hour. When I left to go get take out I couldn't get the battery to kick in. When listening to the radio, I had hit the start button without touching the brake thinking this might be an accessory position. Does anyone know what power is derived from the regular battery and what power comes from the transaction battery? Is there an accessory setting?

Anyway if this is price to pay, it's a small one. I'm not getting the mileage I would like (getting 36 actual since my first fill up after 170 mi, but most of that was in town. I'm sure from the postings I've seen I can improve that.

I've read a lot of the postings and some of my observations on the car have not been noted. First of all it has one of the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. Second, the cruise is the smoothest I have ever experienced. Ever had a vehicle on cruise and had it kick down to low gear when going ove an overpass? This is smooth as silk.

I was concerned after hearing the comment about maintaining 70 mph without a pulsating in speed. This was posted by a guy who said it was a deal killer and misquoted where the info came from. It came from Autoworld and I don't know where they got it. I have driven at a cruising speed of 70 and not noticed any isssues.

This vehicle is a dream to drive. I can't wait to drive to work in the morning and can't wait to drive home at night. Only wish my drive was more than 30 miles :):)
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    2004 Accord LX auto sedan (if everything goes well that is and I don't get burned on the trade-in). I will trade this one in on Thursday. I was on the "list" for a little over one week here in N. California.

I am also curious about how to track the mileage cited in hamm3r's post. Does it only show the trip mileage for a brief period as he indicated and can it be retrieved? I understand the average mpg being shown in 5 minute intervals.
    Congratulations, you will love this vehicle and the whole Camry experience ( 4 of them ).

Regarding the accessories and the SKS.. when you get in don't step on the brake just press the Start once or twice, then 3 times. You can't hurt it so play with it as you wish but two presses will active everything including all the warning signals. Three pushes will cycle the system off again. In my Prius I just turn it on fully and let the radio play. The engine will cycle on and off regularly but just to check the charge on the battery. 80% of the time it will be off. IMO this is the safest way to keep from running down the 12v battery.

1. 1/4 ton pickup
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    5. 98 Camry XLE ( 115K trouble free miles )
    6. 04 Accord LX

Addon as you wish..
    First, it will take you more than 170 miles to get the hang of this.

Next, about the quality of your TCH: After harrassing the GM Forum folks last week, I noticed one of their complaints was the Toyo and other foreign make owners never admit to having issues.

However in all fairness, and to being honest, I have these observations: There is a buzz somewhere with some of the plastic trim in the rear seat areat the seats are hard (I have leather), no where near as gripy as several of my previous cars (FX45, 350ZX, Audi TT or my old BMW's) or as comfortable (due to size) as my Sequoia or Expedition. However, again this is a car that starts life out as an econo midsize. Going down hill the cruise allowed me to get past 80 while set on 70, of couse the issue is that the car is coasting thus no engine braking. I do find some of the plastic trim a little cheap looking, similar to the pebble grain plastic in my Expedition.

However this does not distract from my appreciation of the TCH. I love it. However I don't want to be one accused of overlooking flaws that I would critize a GM car for.

I might note though what I complained about on the GM / Ford Forum was the issues with my Expo needing a new rear end at 750 miles, my neighbors Tahoe getting a new engine and my other neighbor getting a new transmission and still having problems in theri Surburban. I might add that my first Sequoia had the A/C compressor go out while on vacation and my FX was towed to the dealer for a bad fuel pump. I traded the 350 Z because it would not stay aligned and ate up tires in 10,000 miles and traded my 2000 Maxima because the rotors needed turned at 10,000, replaced at 20,000 and had a shimmy the whole time I owned it. Face it there are NO Perfect cars out there. The trick is then in finding one that satisfies you when it is right.
  • berg32berg32 Member Posts: 56
    I know fog lights are not an option for the TCH. How can one get fog lights on a TCH?
  • gandyfiregandyfire Member Posts: 36
    Replacing 91 Camry V6 Le

Selling, we had given it to our son who replaced it with a 5 speed V6 Solara a year ago. Have been driving it since fuel went up instead of our V10 Super Duty
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    I find it amusing that the description says to "see the window sticker" for options, but the photo is so small that you can't read it. They did plaster it with the protection package stuff though!
    Yes, Lots of Frosting for the Dealer.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Sounds like me with my first Camry (92) I would intentionally take the long way home! Enjoy your Hybrid Camry.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Many don't need a huge Suburban or a minivan, but need to at least be able carry 3 to 4 passengers and their luggage occasionally or some medium sized object too big for the trunk of TCH, but not so huge that it would require a big SUV to move it either. I'm not talking about moving a washer dryer, but it's nice to be able fit things that would normally fit in a car of the Camry's size.
    You don't need to have to move these things every day for it to be useful.
    When the trunk is as small as the trunk of a TCH, you are severely restricted.

How tacky will it be when you pick up visting relatives at the arrivals terminal and you have to try to stuff luggage in the back seat with them or you can't pick them up at all because the passengers and luggage just won't fit?
  • lungdoc63lungdoc63 Member Posts: 55

1. 1/4 ton pickup
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    6. 04 Accord LX
    7. 95 Toy Land Cruiser (200,000 miles @13 mpg! I love the LC and am keeping it as well)

Addon as you wish..
    Find someone who knows something, can order all the parts and install them.
  • rob_whitehillrob_whitehill Member Posts: 13
    96 4c Camry LE 120,000 trouble free miles. Actually wanted a 4c XLE, but the 4c XLE's are not sold in Canada - not since '04. V6 XLE only. Its my commuter car and in 10 years I have NEVER lacked for power from my camry - due in part to a "PWR" feature button that holds the tranny in 3rd gear longer when you need to accelerate quickly to the hwy. I have a mostly long slow bumper to bumper commute and just don't need 6c or the gas bill that goes with it. For space we have the minivan (Odyssey). I wanted a 4c car though with all the luxury options, so I started researching the TCH, and the more I read the more I liked. I'm not tree-hugger but I like the "green" aspect of it too. Still waiting on delivery. another few weeks at least. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences.
    I have NEVER lacked for power from my camry - due in part to a "PWR" feature button that holds the tranny in 3rd gear longer when you need to accelerate quickly to the hwy

If you're flooring it to get to highway speeds you actually go through 3 gears? I'd think 3rd would get you to well over 100 if you don't let off the gas. Then again I have NO experience with a 4c since 1981 and my current 4c (TCH) has no "gears".
    How tacky will it be when you pick up visting relatives at the arrivals terminal and you have to try to stuff luggage in the back seat with them or you can't pick them up at all because the passengers and luggage just won't fit?

If I were to pick up 3-4 passengers at the airport in my old 1980 Monte Carlo, I would still have this problem. And that car was HUGE!
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    The Camry Hybrid is currently using a nickel metal-hydride battery, right?

I believe that Toyota's plan is to move to a lithium battery, possibly for the next generation Camry Hybrid (which would be the 2012 model year).

A lithium battery is substantially smaller, so that would help with the trunk issue. A lithium battery is also lighter, so you get even better mpg.

Main issue is cost, as lithium batteries are notably more expensive than nickel metal hydride batteries, for now.
  • hardchemisthardchemist Member Posts: 61
    Also lithium polymer batteries are much more capable of being shaped/created into whatever form is most useful. So you can have a battery compartment that's 5 cm thick or less but is several square meters in area. This way there is more useable space for regions like the trunk etc. The cost of this new technology is dropping quickly, so hopefully we'll see it at an attainable cost next decade.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Main issue is cost, as lithium batteries are notably more expensive

I would say that is secondary to the hazards presented by LiON batteries. Scientists are still trying to overcome the heating and explosiveness of larger LiON batteries. What happened to capacitors for storage? They are used in hybrid buses.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656

no, what's tacky is going to visit someone and not renting your own car.

If you think you need more capacity, they buy a bigger vehicle. I don't need a bigger vehicle. And us discussing the size of the TCH trunk is not going to make it any bigger.

Drive the car you want to drive, not the car you think you might possibly need to have in the event that some future event occurs. Again, for that one time every 5 years that some ill-mannered relative shows up and wants you to pick them up at the airport, you can rent a car for them and let them drive themselves. Or rent a bigger car for the few days and go pick them up yourself. I have no need to drive a larger car than I need 99.9% of the time, just because something MIGHT happen in the future. Satisfying 99.9% of my needs is enough - I don't need to satisfy more than that.
    If I were to pick up 3-4 passengers at the airport in my old 1980 Monte Carlo, I would still have this problem. And that car was HUGE!

Are you saying the trunk is small or are you saying showing up in an 80' Monte carlo would be tacky???
  • tchthinkingtchthinking Member Posts: 8
    For the life of me, I can find nothing that tells me what octane the TCH requires. Help, please!
    It takes regular unleaded (87 Octane). Now if you ask me is that the research number or what I'll have to get my owners manual out. There are some techies on this board that can explain it, but considering this engine is "detuned" (my choice of terms for the Atkinson cycle engine, possibly not accurate) for effeciency and not maximum performance there is NO WAY I can see that Toyota would have made it need anything but regular unleaded.

Is 87 Octane the "normal" regular grade around the country? I don't know, it is in WV.
    Are you saying the trunk is small or are you saying showing up in an 80' Monte carlo would be tacky???
    Ha...could mean either/or eh?

I was countering his point about having to pick up 3-4 people at the airport with the TCH. I was trying to say that if I were to pick up 3-4 passengers at an airport by showing up with a car as big as the '80 Monte (yes, I owned a used one in college) I would have a similar problem.

Meaning that 1. the trunk is not as tiny as this whole issue is being blown into and 2. even with a bigger trunk, your use is not very all that significantly.
    My understanding is that they only require 87 octane.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    S2000 :) very nice traction control and vehicle stability control with RWD. I have safely pushed it a couple times in wet weather and it handles perfectly. Also, the ride is not harsh. Loud Invidia exhaust and in Houston you can have the top down all of the time LOL.

The Accord is still great. After I put the rack on top to haul my Kayak my mileage dropped about 1-1.5 mpg at fast highway speeds : 75+

I think the Camry Hybrid is an excellent car , but i am not sure I would pay $33K. The next car we buy will be a toyota or Lexus to replace my wife's Avalon, but that is several years off.

If I were chosing today I would get a v6 RAV, v6 Avalon or v6 Camry instead of a Camry Hybrid. The mileage payoff just isn't there!

Cheers,

MidCow
    All good choices

Subject to your superior negotiating skills the 'XLE' Hybrid is less expensive than the XLE ICE..same equipment. $33000 is too high. $30500 is about right.

;) But then to keep up with your S2000 your wife might need every one of the 268 ponies in the Avy or ICE Camry. What if she were to beat you..ouch!
    about having to pick up 3-4 people at the airport with the TCH.

I made the mistake of buying my wife the 04 Expedition simply because she said the FX wasn't big enough. She complained because when we went on a cruise we didn't have enough room to take 4 and the luggage and had to put luggage in another couples van.

You know what, that was an expensive lesson, but I convinced her it's not my responsibility to provide transportation for anyone but my family. For years everyone went with us because we had the SUV and they were driving cars. I've hauled kids and adults everywhere and that's OK, but that's a lousy reason to purchase an SUV or large car.

However the point is, the TCH is a great car if it fits your needs but don't buy a large car "in case" you might need the room. It's cheaper to rent a cab or van.

I've even considered renting a van for vacations even when I owned a big SUV. If you trade often like me then renting a van for the long milage vacations may just save you money if it keeps you from trading so often.
  • hybridriverhybridriver Member Posts: 77
    Is 87 Octane the "normal" regular grade around the country? I don't know, it is in WV.

From my (admittedly non-comprehensive) experience, 87 octane is pretty standard for regular unleaded. In a few really far-flung places, I've seen 85.5.

BTW, I wonder if the Camry V6 takes 87 octane. Yet another cost-saver for the TCH, if not. :D
    If I were chosing today I would get a v6 RAV, v6 Avalon or v6 Camry instead of a Camry Hybrid. The mileage payoff just isn't there!

Look back at old posts. If the V6 modelcamry or especially an Avalon are your choices then the TCH similarily equiped would be competitive in price and cheaper in overall costs to operate. But I won't drag this out in a long thread, it's all in the past threads
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    reserve a van at the rental agency in advance, go to pick it up the night before you leave on vacation and picture how you would feel if they said, 'sorry all we have is a chevy cobalt, but it's a 4 door!'? ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Hi...

I was wondering how well the cruise control manages the ICE and electric motors?

If you set the cruise at about 40 mph on a flat stretch of road (or maybe a slight decline), does the ICE still shut off?
    Usually the use of cruise will cause the ICE to run more often in my experience. It's a small difference but whenever the speed falls below the set point there is a boost of fuel, this seems somewhat counterproductive. But the total effect is small.
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Yes, the new Camry V6 takes regular 87 octane.
    Actually happened. My wifes friend reserved a van for 8 women to travel to Ohio. Showed up that morning for their trip and all they had was a mid size sedan.

Never a good idea to depend on someone else when it really matters
  • gandyfiregandyfire Member Posts: 36

1. 1/4 ton pickup
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    6. 04 Accord LX
    7. 95 Toy Land Cruiser (200,000 miles 13 mpg! I love the LC and am keeping it as well)
    8. 91 Camry V6 Le (selling)

Add on as you wish..
  • tchjunky1tchjunky1 Member Posts: 1

1. 1/4 ton pickup
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    6. 04 Accord LX
    7. 95 Toy Land Cruiser (200,000 miles 13 mpg! I love the LC and am keeping it as well)
    9. 06 Chrysler 300 loaded (bought 03/13/06, called last week for a TCH just went and watched it come off the truck 05/24/2006)

Add on as you wish..
  • kevintlutzkevintlutz Member Posts: 9
    I have several stretches of very flat road in my area where the TCH using cruise control will run for several miles (the length of the road) at 40 mph or less with the ICE off. I can't get this to easily happen without the cruise activated.

I notice that 40 mph is a programmed speed in the TCH computer. Above 40 mph, the ICE will always run. The ICE will shut off during decelerations only below 40 mph.
  • john312john312 Member Posts: 24

1. 1/4 ton pickup
    3. Honda Element
    4. 2003 Infiniti FX45
    6. 04 Accord LX
    9. 06 Chrysler 300 loaded (bought 03/13/06, called last week for a TCH just went and watched it come off the truck 05/24/2006)
    10. 97 Mercury Sable LS (219,000 miles)

Add on as you wish..