Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    My opinion is that while it may take some weeks to get your TCH with the options you desire, it is worth the wait!. I got mine Magnetic grey/ash leather on Saturday and am ecstatic.
    I love it. I am a techno-geek and the toys did it for me!.
    The NAV is VERY nice and really works well and is intuitive.
    The blue tooth quality is outstanding. I now wait till I am in the car to talk on the phone. (shh don't tell anyone.).
    The speed dial setup allows you to call while driving and there is sufficent speed dial spots for just enough emergency or frequent people. I LOVE the ability to use my MP3 player on the AUX input and for me these three things were WELL worth the $1,200 they cost. I would not have gotten one had it been the basic model. I see no downside to any of the devices.. I don't have XM but can see how it would be totally seamless if you did have it. The NAV tracking is right-on and I have no idea where the antenna is unless it is a button like thing at the front of the dashboard. Doesn't matter. It works very well.
    Bill (3rd day owner report) :)
  • hueristixhueristix Member Posts: 30
    that is correct- not a wives tale.
  • stinger123stinger123 Member Posts: 4
    Would anyone know the reason why Nav is not available in any Canadian Camry's ? :mad:

Toyota Canada sent me a "form letter" stating that due to market research they chose to not include that option !
    I suppose it is too early to find out if the Canadian cars have the wiring in them to accept Nav, or if the display would correctly switch between U.S. and imperial measurements.

Oh by the way the Nav does have the data for Canada.

Thanks in advance for any info. :D
  • ericottawaericottawa Member Posts: 19
    I just ordered a TCH today and hanging from the mirror was a card showing options available. The NAV was shown. The dealer "thinks" that it will be available at some point as was done in other models and would be dealer installed item. They take the WHOLE radio out...do what you wish...and install the NAV. They "think" $2-3000 CDN...(I am in Ottawa.)

Eric
  • fullofbeansfullofbeans Member Posts: 33
    Hi Eric, was wondering which dealer you used and what options you got on your TCH. I'm in Ottawa too and picked mine up (Orleans) on Fri.
  • ggav73ggav73 Member Posts: 31
    I got my base TCH on 06/02/06 at 6:30 pm, about 3 days ago. The car is great, I really like it a lot. The color, Titanium Metallic is amazing. I will write here some of my observations (from my novice level) after 3 days. At the beginning the car had 16 miles on it, with a disappointing 18mpg per tank. I brought it up to 36.6 mpg after total of 360 miles, 250 on highway and 110 during several trips in town, multiple stop lights and bumper-to-bumper traffic. The shorter the trip, the lower the mpg. The bluetooth communicates well with my Razr, I was really scared when it rang first time, I did not know what is going on. The trunk size is small, but I expected it, if I wanted trunk I would have bought a pick-up. I did not notice any jerking on the highway at 65-70-75 mpg, it is interesting how some people feel this, some don't, including one gentleman who posted earlier saying he felt the jerking only on one-way of his round trip(!). Compared to the speed shown by my TOM TOM Palm GPS Navigator, the speedometer is 3mph more, but I noticed this with all other cars I drove-Passat, 325XI, PT Cruiser, Mini Cooper(my previous one). I tried to put my i Pod through AUX, sounds well, but I can't use any of the commands of the sound system, except volume. The owner manual says that it is AUX for MP3/WMA player, so i Pod is not mentioned, but I still don't mind. The AUX cable can be passed very neatly through the storage box to the pocket on the passenger side pillar. I noticed, compared to other cars, an impressive ability of the FM antenna to receive radio signal, 40-50 miles farther from the point the signal was usually dropping. While I was pulling out of a parking, ascending ramp quite steep, on the electric engine, after a stop I noticed a tendency of the car to roll back. This was the only negative aspect of my last 3 days of interaction with the car. Overall, a very positive experience, I will start posting my mileage at greenhybrid.com.
  • jjfcincyjjfcincy Member Posts: 7
    Terrific response. Sounds like I would give up a lot of funtionality without the NAV. I too want the same color exterior and interior car you have but sounds like I may have to wait a while as the midwest is getting a really small allocation at this point(I am in Cincinnati). Did you get a new phone when you got the TCH? How is the mileage so far?
    Hi,
    I ordered it today at TG. I am not sure if I am making the correct decision in colour as I got the Aloe Green Metallic with the B package and Bisque leather. I actually prefer the Magnetic Grey but wanted a lighter interior after getting out of a Camry SE with a black interior.
    I asked about the GPS Nav system and I think I can swap out the radio (at great cost) if I want to add the Nav when it arrives...who knows when.
    Do you have the issue that I have experienced and that is that the ICE starts right at moving forward and does so with a shudder? When it starts while moving, you really don't notice it...but at take off it happens with a noticable shudder. I drove a Hylander Hybrid today and it was so smooth that there was virtually NO discernable switchover!I am concerned about this.
    What colour/options did you get?

Eric
    Re your IPOD...do you have the adapter cable option that is available? If not, while I may be incorrect I think I saw that there is one available and may solve your issues.
  • ggav73ggav73 Member Posts: 31
    I have a cable that has a jack on each end. Is there another cable I should know about? Please let me know if you have more details.
    I am pretty sure I saw an option available at the dealer that was specifically for the ipod. It is worth checking the option list at the dealer or on the web....OK! I just looked in the brochure for the Camry and in the options is an "adapter / interface cable for ipod".
    I am not sure what it does, however.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Be careful. Unless the specs are different in Canada the Aloe Green is not a Hybrid color. It's the Jasper Green that's the hybrid. Double check that so that you aren't surprised when it arrives.
  • houtex1houtex1 Member Posts: 82
    Got my TCH tonight. Barcelona Red, ash interior, fully loaded. Paid MSRP and dealer thru in tinted windows. Can't tell you how excited I am. I couldn't wait to get out of the dealership. The whole process took over two hours which was unexpected and a bit painful. They try to sell you the extended warranty like three different times, try to offer you other financing etc. Besides that, I am a very happy camper right now.

I didn't really know what I was doing driving home in the dark. There are a lot of gadgets to learn. I'll be posting my impressions in the coming days.

Thanks to all for keeping this board going with such useful information!
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I am thinking about buying a TCH and have only driven one with the nav. Does the non-nav TCH have the LCD Screen also (to display fuel economy and Synergy drive status?)

Thanks

tom
    I am starting to get the hang of this thing... while my previous best was 32mpg... my new best average is 99.9 and my tank average is rising!

Ok, fine, I figured out how to trick the computer by recording an extremely short time. The weird thing is I went about 1/2 mile from there, on level to slightly sloped down road, a couple of stop signs, and got 75 mpg.

There is an art to riding the pedal just enough. Personally what helped out a lot is the mini energy flow display you can put under the spedometer. The big one is cool, but too distracting. The mini is the way to go! I now see what others were saying about accelerating just enough to keep the electric going.

To all of you considering one: here is another gem- you dont have to replace the brake pads for (I believe it is) 100,000 miles!
    I do not have a rattle in my TCH, and I consider myself sensitive to these things. Maybe I lucked out.

The radio is top notch, I bumped the treble up and it sounds great; it is just that I want more bands than 3 in the equalizer. Come on, Toyota programmers, put it in there!

While I do hear some weird electrical noises I dont hear in other cars, the manual explains this is normal. I don't mind at all. I would describe these as whirs, hums, and clicks. Some occur after you park for a bit. We are talking quiet subtle noises here. And I can hear GMC's whining from 1/2 block away, SERIOUSLY.

With the windows closed even 80mph is smooth and quiet.

Ears are happy with this choice.
    Hi and thanks...I guess then there are more diiferences than NAV not being available as an option in Canada. Aloe is available here in both Bisque fabric and Leather. I drove that combination yesterday. Because the colors were different to say the least, I matched the color sample card to the paint on the car to be sure when I first drove it last Friday. Jasper Pearl is available here too in the same combinations.
    I just wonder what other differences there are/
    I am in Canada where the NAV is NOT available. In the speedometer area there is a mini (as someone put it) display that shows the energy to and from the ICE, electric motor and battery. This is similar to the large display and since I have not seen the larger one, the smaller one may not show all the info. Here, the radio display is quite a bit smaller than the NAV display.I assume that it is the same in the USA. However I would see one for sure .
  • gc77584gc77584 Member Posts: 65
    In the speedometer area there is a mini (as someone put it) display that shows the energy to and from the ICE, electric motor and battery.

That sounds about right. I think it's called the ECO drive monitor (I like "mini energy flow display") and pressing the Display button on the steering wheel cycles through all 8 or 9 possible displays. From what I've read elsewhere, I don't think it has everything that the Nav display does.

On the non-nav display by the speedometer: one screen shows a graphic representation with arrows of what's powering the wheels (gas &/or battery) or whether the wheels are feeding the battery (coasting, braking). One screen shows your gas consumption in est. mpg for the current trip. That's in bar graph format. One display shows the average mpg for the current tank (resets each time you add fuel). One display shows how many more miles it thinks you can drive on the current tank of gas. There are a couple of odometer displays. I can't think of the others off the top of my head...
  • cal_calcal_cal Member Posts: 39
    I got about 37 mpg at 65 mph but in colder weather (40 F outside) and little ethanol winter mix. So, the TCH and HAH may be comparable in MPG on the highway for identical conditions. I think the TCH really outshines the Accord in the city, where I've rarely gotten better than 25 mpg.

The noise canceller has worked fine in my car even in three cylinder operation. Some folks have complained and there was a Honda fix to that (Change front speakers and some such thing).
  • cal_calcal_cal Member Posts: 39
    I bought mine in July 05 and got it at $600 below invoice way back then and was happy with the deal. The lowest I have seen is someone who posted a purchase two months ago at close to $2000 below invoice.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Thanks guys!

I wasn't sure if the TCH had a screen like the Prius. It must be mesmerizing looking at the screen instead of driving!

tom
  • hybridriverhybridriver Member Posts: 77
    In the speedometer area there is a mini (as someone put it) display that shows the energy to and from the ICE, electric motor and battery.

That sounds about right. I think it's called the ECO drive monitor (I like "mini energy flow display") and pressing the Display button on the steering wheel cycles through all 8 or 9 possible displays. From what I've read elsewhere, I don't think it has everything that the Nav display does.

I dialed up the "mini energy display" under the speedo during my road trip. In general it is useful, but I was surprised that it did not display the mode where ICE is driving the car and recharging the battery simultaneously. In that scenario, you do not see an arrow showing energy flow to the battery on the mini-display, but the Energy flow screen on the main LCD does show it.

FYI.
  • hybridriverhybridriver Member Posts: 77
    I do not have a rattle in my TCH, and I consider myself sensitive to these things. Maybe I lucked out.

While I do hear some weird electrical noises I dont hear in other cars, the manual explains this is normal. I don't mind at all. I would describe these as whirs, hums, and clicks. Some occur after you park for a bit. We are talking quiet subtle noises here. And I can hear GMC's whining from 1/2 block away, SERIOUSLY.

With the windows closed even 80mph is smooth and quiet.

Ears are happy with this choice.

I agree that the noises the car makes (including the vent "rattle" that I heard once or twice) are subtle, quiet, and generally non-obtrusive. Nothing (including the brief 70 mph lurching) made me think "This will drive me crazy". Not even close!

The ride is very smooth, a combination of good suspension and tall tire sidewalls. I still think a major component of TCH freeway noise is the A/C fan. I manually turned it down a few times, and was surprised just how much quieter it was that way. With the stereo cranked, all extraneous noise is a moot point, anyway. :)
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    No as much so, as the aquarium screen saver option!
    Well looks like I will go with AAA. (that is stay with AAA)
    They want $847 a year for full coverage with $500 deductibles.

Allstate wanted $750/ 2 months

Everywhere else, farmers, progressive, etc, wanted about $980.

I also get 10% off by having a renter's insurance through them.

Only one thing gives me pause- doesnt Allstate do a "New Car Replacement"? :confuse: (couldn't find it on the site)
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    I just found crash test ratings for the 2007 Camry at www.safercar.gov (apparently NHTSA). The new Camry gets 5 stars for front impact for both driver and passenger. It also gets 5 stars for side impact for both front seat and rear seat. Awesome! Rollover rating is 4 stars.

I cannot provide a direct link. It looks like you have to step through the drop-down menus.
    I just found crash test ratings for the 2007 Camry at www.safercar.gov (apparently NHTSA). The new Camry gets 5 stars for front impact for both driver and passenger. It also gets 5 stars for side impact for both front seat and rear seat. Awesome! Rollover rating is 4 stars.

I cannot provide a direct link. It looks like you have to step through the drop-down menus.

Try this - it's not the list, but takes you directly (I hope) to the 2007 Camry:

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3845.html
  • lungdoc63lungdoc63 Member Posts: 55
    As anybody looked at putting fog lights found on the other Camrys? If so, what was the cost. My dealer wanted $650 I said no thanks.
  • lungdoc63lungdoc63 Member Posts: 55
    I tried to get a spoiler added to my Camry - was told the part is not available yet for dealer. Is this true? I was told the cars with spoiler I have seen (non-hybrid) came that way from the factory.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    They are selling them at Toyota dealers and on EBAY. Bought mine (Toyota) and installed it 2 weeks ago.
  • snozwangersnozwanger Member Posts: 2
    I just filled up my second tank - averaging 38.25 over two tanks - with a cruising distance remaining of only 6 miles, filling it up only required 13.1 gallons. The first top off was similar at 13.2 gallons. The specs say this is a 17 gallon tank, so is there really ~4 gallons sitting in the tank/fuel lines? That seems a bit high.

For the first fillup, when I opened the gas cap, there was no hiss and the cap didn't require much unscrewing, so I was left wondering if the dealer hadn't closed it up properly when they topped it off--of course there were no fuel system warnings or other "check engine" type lights on the dash. I made sure to put the cap back on good and tight after that first fillup, but basically it would only take 13 gallons!

Is it really a 17 gallon tank or something less?? Maybe Jimmy Hoffa's in there taking up space....
    It seems to be true.. I've had a client waiting 4 weeks now for his. It has to do with the installation kit, the layout of where to drill etc.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    The installation kit is 4 nuts and 2 bolts.

The installation kit is two paper templates and a few pages of printed sheets.

The templates are not correct but I modified for my installation w/o any problems.
  • john312john312 Member Posts: 24
    I received my TCH today, parked it next to a XLE, and did some initial measurements in the armrest area.
    The distance across the front (7 1/8") and just before the hinges (7 5/8") are the same on both. As are the distance from the hinges to the latch (12") and the distance across the hinges (6 3/8").
    The curvature on the base looks the same.
    The main difference is on the top where on the TCH there is an indentation to allow taller items to be stored and on the XLE there is a cover that probably contains the rolling mechanism.
    The person in parts was talking about color and trim codes from the VIN so I still have more research to do. The XLE I checked had the Bisque Leather interior so that didn't help. We were wondering if the 4c XLE has the same surface as the TCH while the 6c XLE has the leather top. If it is this way I'll need to decide if I want a regular or leather armrest and then track down the VIN of a XLE with that type of top. (If anyone has sample VINs for a 4c and 6c XLE with an Ash interior I would appreciate someone letting me know.)
    The central warehouses have put a 'hold' on all shipments until the templates are ready. The spoilers are there they just wont ship them to the local parts depts.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Any one know if Camry Hybrid with nav is available in California yet? I tried to build a Camry Hybrid using Toyota site's build feature and apparently none is available in California at this time.
    All over CA. Just go in and put in your order. I'd expect that you have a wait of 4-6 weeks.

Forget the 'build my vehicle' function. They are coming only 3 ways;
    Basic
    Basic with a SunRoof
    Loaded with everything

If you want any other combo you will likely have to wait until all the other orders have been filled and the Georgetown plant gets up to full steam maybe early in 2007.
    I have had my MagGrey/Ash TCH, NAV, Lthr for four days now. I am loving it!.. I have given so many 'demo' rides, that I ought to be charging 'admission'. I put 215 miles on it and had a $1.00 off gas coupon for Meijer so I filled up and managed to 'sqeeze' 6 gallons of gas into it. That works out to 35.83 mpg avg. I can't complain about that!. The demo rides have caused me to be, lets say, less than economical at times.
    I showed a couple last night when you stop at a stoplight and shut off the AC, how acutely quiet the car is. It's like sitting in a parking lot!.
    I really enjoy the JBL sound system. If there are audiophiles out there who think it is sub-standard, then I must disagree. I have Bach-Prelude in Fugue in D minor on a pipe organ on my MP3 player and love to blast that as I drive down the road.
    This morning three guys in a Buick wrenched their necks trying to figure out just what it was I was driving and who made it. I have had many people exclaim that it is a real head turner!. I love showing people how I can unlock the doors with my hands in the air and start the car with no key. Then I dazzle them with the blue tooth phone and for the coup de gras, the NAV system.
    I could be a car salesman!. BTW I did write the salesman/dealership a nice email yesterday because of their committment to honor the waiting list sequence, provide me with exactly what I wanted and still hold the line on MSRP.
    Overall my first week impression is a solid 10.
    Hope this helps some of you who are waiting and as anxious as I was. It is definately worth the wait!
    WillyBill :)
  • anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    re: potential to install XLE sliding armrest in TCH...

Thanks for your research and keep us posted!
  • sallyspalsallyspal Member Posts: 31
    If you work at Bank of America in Boston, you may be eligible for a $3,000 incentive to purchase a hybrid. It appears that other large companies are moving in the same direction!

:) See the article link below:

http://dwb.newsobserver.com/news/ncwire_news/story/2958090p-9394830c.html
  • sallyspalsallyspal Member Posts: 31
    P.S. I am still waiting for my TCH (put deposit down in February). Dealer said I am now first on list and to expect delivery within 2 weeks. Car is Silver with sunroof, fabric, no NAV. Does anyone know if sunroof package includes reading lights in rear and vanity lights in front?

Thanks for all the wonderful posts, they will sustain me until I get my TCH
    Yes vanity lights when the mirror in visor in opened.
    Reading lights in front and two in back.

Hang in there.. It's worth it ! :D
  • houtex1houtex1 Member Posts: 82
    I only had my car for 36 hours and unfortunately I am swamped at work and haven't really had much time to enjoy it. I didn't even drive it to work yesterday as I wanted to get my Honda element cleaned up, etc.

Anyway, in the less than 100 miles I have on it, my early impressions are very favorable. The car really is nice! It is unbelievably quiet. I knew my Honda Element was noisy, but I guess I had forgotten how quiet a vehicle can actually be.

I have not noticed any steering issues or lunging or rattles. Of course I haven't been in it mush yet.

Some minor gripes are the following:

1. You really need to compensate for the long nose when turning. I almost hit my other car when turning into the garage. You can't really see the front of the car so it's hard to know how close you are to impact. It's just something I'll have to get used to.

2. I also seemed to have some trouble backing out of my garage and driveway. The seat backs seem very high and I am not that tall. turning my head did not give me that much visibility. I really wish they offered the backup camera. If it ever comes available aftermarket, I'll be the first in line.

3. My last little gripe is that it would be nice to have the manual in full color rather than black and white. i'm sure this is just a cost decision, but with all the colorful displays on the navigation etc, the black and white manual doesn't do it justice.

All in all I think I will love my new car!
  • czechmanczechman Member Posts: 4
    18 months ago we decided to replace an aging Tercel (which her son now drives) with an ’05 Salsa Prius. The wife got that one, though I have had my hands on it for a few of the longer trips. We both love it – get 46-50 MPG consistently. Last week it was my turn as I retired the ’95 Camry (165K but still running fine) for a Desert Sand TCH. (first tank 36.5) When our garage door is up it looks like a hybrid stable! Though the TCH will never beat her mileage wise, it’s a daily topic of conversation.

One of the Prius features I like (we live in MN) is that when you shut it down it pumps a few liters of coolant into a thermos bottle which then is redelivered for a faster warm up upon restart. This helps reduce emissions as well as shortens time to get heat into the cabin esp in mid January! Nothing in the TCH manual says anything about this nor do I hear that whirr. Anyone know if this exists in the TCH?

Now all we need Toyota to do is build a plug-in version of the Prius for our local excursions and E85 compatibility (lots of ethanol plants in MN) and we can tell OPEC to go packing!
    I only had my car for 36 hours

Congrats! What did you wind up getting and where did you get it?
  • bobflbobfl Member Posts: 19
    Can anyone tell me how fast engine spins on flat ground at 70 mph. Just curious how cvt is geared for cruising.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    LOL - No tachometer
  • hardchemisthardchemist Member Posts: 61
    Herr Czechman,
    The TCH does not have this feature. There was a bit of streamlining/cost-savings that went into the TCH vs. the Prius; also the rubber fuel tank enclosure (dynamic volume, hell on manual calculations) wasn't included.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national finance magazine is looking to interview current hybrid owners who purchased a hybrid within the past year or two. The reporter is wanting to know if you have been satisfied or not with the gas savings you’ve been receiving. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of your hybrid vehicle.

------------------

A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who are looking to purchase a hybrid vehicle and are looking at it from a financial standpoint, hoping to save money from the high cost of fuel. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the hybrid vehicle you are considering.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com