Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's keep the focus on the hybrid Camry in this discussion - we've got a separate topic for the tax credit debate: Tax credits / incentives for hybrids?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Lanceq:

John1701a did not get those tires when he bought his Prius. He went out and bought them to replace the OEM tires that came with the car. The OEMs are not very good. All John1701A was saying is that Michelin makes a good tire that will fit the Prius; Toyota is too cheap to put them on as original tires LOL.

Good Luck with you Michelins,

MidCow
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    well said (a bit lengthy, but well written)

I remember it as well. Because soon after the story, Audi's re-sale value plumetted; I found myself driving one because suddenly I could afford one!
  • gandyfiregandyfire Member Posts: 36
    Does anybody know how many hybrids Toyota has sold during this last quarter ending in March?
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    But I can give you a good, close estimate.

The RX400h and HLH are moving around 4500 units a month, combined.

And the Prius has been selling 9-10k a month, similar to last year's numbers. Probably selling everyone they build.

So figure just under 30k Prius, and 12-13k for the SUVs.

When Camry Hybrid comes out, my understanding is they will build approx 46k this year, won't they sell everyone of them?

DrFill
  • spectrabluespectrablue Member Posts: 28
    "Does anybody know how many hybrids Toyota has sold during this last quarter ending in March? "

I saw on another forum that Toyota is reporting:
    5,750 RX400h
    7,881 Highlander Hybrids
    22,123 Prius

for a grand total of 35,754 hybrid vehicles sold in the first quarter.

Tax credits on Camry Hybrids should be good through the end of September! I just hope the new 40/38 mileage ratings don't kill most of the $2,350 estimated credit the ACEEE is currently reporting.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Received Toyota's official count and it's just over 42000 units. Expect the 60K unit limit to be reached around May 1. So everyone who buys by Sept 30 will get the full credit.... subject to your individual tax situation. Check with your tax advisor.
  • gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    There's that "Check with your tax advisor" again... does anyone know the details with out checking with the tax advisor...I don't know any good tax advisors but I just don't want to purchase the Camry-Hybrid and find out like
    "Sorry sir... "you made one dollar more then the limit so then you don't qualify!!!!

May sound silly but I think you all understand...

Anyone care to speculate!

Gampa
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Everything I'm reading indicates that Toyota will reach their 60,000-mark in the current quarter, thus the full credit will be available through September 30th. The hybrid credit will likely be $2200 based on the new EPA mileage estimates.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    How do you file your taxes? Do you use Turbo tax? if so it is easy? The limit is around $150,000 when your deductions exceed around %20 of gross.

Cheers,

P.s. I f you make enough to worry about hitting the AMT limit, then you should be worrying about money ;)
  • lanceqlanceq Member Posts: 16
    You can purchase a turbo tax program ($39.00) and estimate if you fall into AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax). If you are not a high buck’s money maker with a lot of write-offs you should be ok. By the way I saw one Toyota dealer is stating that the Camry Hybrid tax credit will be $1,300. I hope this is incorrect, especially since I am paying full MSRP for my Camry Hybrid as I assume others are also.

lance
    42,000?

30k.....plus 12k......carry the two....and you get....

Hey! I was right! How dare someone second guess me!

Alright, new rule. My word is law! LOL!! :P

DrFill
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think the figure is closer to $85k this year. I paid AMT on a $88k income for 2005, and would not qualify for the tax credit. That would put it in the demographic of the average Prius buyer. I also found it interesting that there is no provision for the cars that are sold to people that will not qualify for the credit. It may end up a small percentage that actually get to claim the prize.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    My understanding is that in order to qualify for the hybride credit, there is no income limitation per se. It only affects those that are otherwise subject to AMT (because they have enough other deductions that make them subject to the AMT).

Is this correct, or is there an absolute income limit as well?
    Doubt the doc... shirley you jest.

I was reconfirming your info, I was just showing how astute you were in your estimate. ;)

Official number is 42175, priorly posted last Sat on the Prius 2004+ forum. But I knew that you knew that.
    Good job, Kd!

I was ranting toward Spectrablue's post.

DrFill
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think for 2005 it was married filing joint $175k married filing separate $87,500. I know I just tipped over the edge last year. I wish I knew more about it and how to avoid AMT. You can have too many deductions is the bottom line.
  • lanceqlanceq Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if Japan has started producing the hybrids and what the anticipated arrival date will be?
    Look back in this thread. The first vehicles will be on dealers allocations at the end of April so arrival should be anywhere from mid to late May depending on location. Just from a logistical pov I'd say the first ones should be coming off the line in Japan in the next week or two.
  • babyrocketbabyrocket Member Posts: 54
    So does that mean that dealers will know what they are receiving in that "first wave" of hybrids by the end of April? If so, then they could presumably begin matching cars to their waitlist at that time, for delivery in mid to late May.

Thanks -
    Yep, that's what I'm expecting/hoping.
    Prices are up on Kelly Blue Book for the Hybrid

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ncop?kbb.KS;783050;KS015&67010&&;;nc;&0&07TOH- Y_H;060402

$23310 + Delivery
  • anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    According to KBB, the moonroof is standard equipment on all hybrids. Darn! I'd rather have the headroom.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Not true according to KBB or Toyota.

It is an option.
    I'm positive it's an option.. but it may be hard to find one at first without a SR..
  • cammer2cammer2 Member Posts: 38
    Actually, if you download the PDF file from Toyota's web-site, they show the moonroof as standard - so I think KBB got it right!
  • consumer46consumer46 Member Posts: 17
    I also believe that KBB is incorrect. Based on the material I have seen, there are three available packages (moonroof, leather, comfort and convenience) and some options (navigation, moonroof, and heated outside mirrors). My understanding is that the initial allotments from Japan will consist of a fairly high percentage (perhaps as high as 50% or so) of "base" models with the rest being a mix of hybrids with a set number of packages/options. As you might imagine each region will have their own version of this mix. We should know how all this is to play out in the next couple of weeks.
  • tonyguy2000tonyguy2000 Member Posts: 39
    I have a Camry Hybrid Brochure and it shows the moonroof as an available option or available in a package. It is not standard!
    I'm not trying to be argumentative. I do believe that the brochure you have shows it as an option.

Having said that, the "e-brochure" on Toyota's website has just been updated to include the hybrid in the last week or so (so I'm assuming it's correct). That e-brochure shows the moonroof standard on both the 4 and 6 cylinder XLE's and the hybrid.

For myself, I'm hoping it is standard - as that reduces my "out the door" price by about $1,000. We should see soon.

There must be (or have been) some last minute play as to price and options for the car. I guess we'll all know soon!
    I just went back to Toyota's web-site.

To make things more confusing - the "Options" section lists the moonroof as an option on the hybrid. But the "e-brochure" lists it as standard (as I mentioned in the previous post).

So, obviously Toyota doesn't know!!! ;)

So whoever created the web-site or the e-brochure is wrong - just don't know which!

Now we wait .............!
  • john312john312 Member Posts: 24
    When I talked to my dealer about three weeks ago he showed me a chart that showed that 318 TCHs were being built in April for delivery to the Midwest market in May. Of those 60% were going to have option HM, 28% HM and SR, the remaining 12% were going to have "everything" HM SR NV LA HD (I'm not sure I remember all the codes for this package).
    I placed an order for a HM & SR in Blue Ribbon/Ash we'll see how long it takes to come in. He said that they are expecting 2-3 TCHs per month. They also had at the time 5 Priuses on the lot and 3 of them were available for anyone to walkup and purchase.
  • stevekilburnstevekilburn Member Posts: 359
    Dont worry about the moon roof. Its always best and more romantic to watch the moon after parking your car first and then getting out of the car.

Seeing moon from the moonroof might create back problems and may be even accidents if you are not careful.
  • tonyguy2000tonyguy2000 Member Posts: 39
    Ha Ha!
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    John312 - Sounds like your dealer has much more information than mine. May I ask what dealer you are working with? I'm in the Cincinnati Area.
  • consumer46consumer46 Member Posts: 17
    Dealer allotments for the Camry Hybrid should be known in the next two weeks. That would mean dealers should have cars on the lot by the end of May or early June. Though the timing has been discussed before, dealers are now receiving some specific target time frames. (There will be some slight differences between regions)
  • ozarkgolferozarkgolfer Member Posts: 23
    I'd like to talk to your dealer about placing an order for a hybrid. Dealers in my area (NW Arkansas and SW Missouri) are playing dumb. Thanks!! Steve
    I'm working with a dealer in the Chicago area. I'm planning to stop in tomorrow to see if there is any new information (any questions I can ask for you?) I'll ask them if it is ok to post their name here.
  • anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    What is option HM?
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Mirrors, Heated O/S
    This seems to be the basic version.. all the standard equipment plus then heated O/S mirrors.
    I'm not sure if all the marketing information surrounding new model releases for Toyota is as screwed up as this stuff on the Hybrid or not, I've never followed one as close.

My gripe isn't over changing the specs, we've all come to accept that HP has fallen from 192 to 187, and estimated city MPG has fallen from 43 to 40, but the coexistance of conflicting information is unacceptable!

As you pointed out, cammer2, the eBrochure now states that the moonroof is standard on the XLE and Hybrid models. Come on Toyota, really??

I'm still griping about the heated mirrors. The pricing press release:
    http://pressroom.lexus.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2006032990762

says the heated mirrors are standard. Better yet is the flash "YLD Configurator" where you can "Build" your own Hybrid. (the link fades in and out on the lower LH side of the Camry homepage) Very nice site, but it lists heated mirrors as BOTH a standard feature AND an option!!

...I know alot of wasted time and energy over a $30 option, but it's the principle of the issue...
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    My dealer says mid-Atlantic gets 45% base model Hybrids; 24% with sunroof; 30% with sunroof, NAV, leather, heated seats, and heated mirrors. So it sounds like NAV alone is not happening if you live in the mid-Atlantic region. :(
    I talked to my dealer today. I was told that I can say who they are.
    (Bredemann Toyota, Park Ridge, IL 60068)
    There wasn't much new news. Only that they have been officially allocated one TCH so far and hopefully later this week they should find out what options it has and the final sticker price.

I also pointed out the errors on the generated brochure. They said they would try to find the proper people to fix this.
    1. page 4 - Integrated fog lamps (Not available on the hybrid)
    2. page 4 - Power tilt/slide moonroof (Not standard. Only as a package)
    3. page 6 - Wood grain style interior (Not available on the hybrid)
    4. page 6 - Rear personal reading lamps (Part of the moonroof package. See the updated options.pdf file)

The updated features.pdf file is a bit more accurate than the generated pdf but it lists a tach as part of the instrument cluster on the hybrid.

Based on bmgoodman's post of three similar option sets for the Mid-Atlantic region (I guess you don't need the heated mirrors as much over there as we do here in the Midwest) this is probably what we are going to see from the Japan builds until Kentucky starts building this fall. (Anyone else have their region's build breakdowns?)

Also I wonder if someone is going to produce a hack for the display so we can add a backup camera like they have done for the Prius.
  • rob_whitehillrob_whitehill Member Posts: 13
    The only TCH option package here (Toronto) is 4-way power pass seat, leather, heated seats, Moon (sun) roof, dual illuminated vanity. Heated mirrors are standard.

MY only big gripe is no interior colour options on TCH. ASH (very light gray) interior on a FAMILY sedan? Is that only for families with no kids or pets? Those seats and carpets will stay clean for 5 minutes.

Are there other options in other regions? (aside from light beige on the "off-beat" exterior colours, or leather, which is still light coloured and not dog-friendly...

Is Toyota trying to unload surplus interior materials from all the new Avalons they didn't sell? :confuse:
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    On line brochure for the TCH is confusing and inaccurate. Does anyone know if Homelink is available?
  • rob_whitehillrob_whitehill Member Posts: 13
    Just picked up most recent brochure today - shows "garage door opener" standard on Hybrid, also XLE and SEV6
  • gandyfiregandyfire Member Posts: 36
    My brochure shows homelink available as a package on the SEV6 and standard on the XLE and the Hybrid...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A new discussion has been created for those to discuss the ordering experience. A few posts from this discussion have been moved there.

Toyota Camry Hybrid: Ordering Process
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    Anybody have an answer on whether the Camry Hybrid will be able to drive single occupant in the HOV lanes of Virginia? Wikipedia has a note that says "Will not meet requirements to drive in carpool lanes." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camry_Hybrid). Virginia's DMV page says:
    Hybrid Vehicles (Not all hybrids qualify for clean special fuel license plates.)

The following hybrids meet California's super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) rating or the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) equivalent and, therefore, qualify for a clean special fuel license plate: Toyota Prius, Honda Insight, Honda Civic, 2005 Ford Escape, 2006 Ford Escape, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 2006 Lexus RX400, 2006 Mercury Mariner.

NOTE: As new hybrids qualify, this information will be updated.
    (http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/cleanspecialfuel.asp)

They seem to approve based on some combo of California and EPA. However, CA considers the following hybrids NOT exempt:
    NON-QUALIFING HYBRID AND ZERO EMISSION VEHICLES

FORD
    2005-2006 ESCAPE HYBRID - not qualified due to fuel economy less than 45MPG.

HONDA
    2005 ACCORD HYBRID - not qualified due to lack of compliance with ATPZEV emission standard and fuel economy less than 45MPG
    2005 INSIGHT HYBRID - not qualified due to lack of compliance with ATPZEV emission standard.

LEXUS
    2006Rx400h HYBRID - not qualified due to fuel economy less than 45MPG and lack of compliance with ATPZEV emission standard.

MERCURY
    2006 MARINER HYBRID - not qualified due to fuel economy less than 45MPG.

TOYOTA
    2006 HIGHLANDER HYBRID - not qualified due to fuel economy less than 45MPG and and lack of compliance with ATPZEV emission standard.
    . (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm#b)

This list contradicts Virginia's list, UNLESS Virginia's list is counting some of these because the EPA permits it.

So, I looked at http://www.epa.gov/emissweb/enviro_scores.pdf, and it looks like the Camry MIGHT qualify in VA. It looks like SULEV II (Score 9, Bin 2) requires combined MPG of 36, which the Camry meets.

Would like someone to discuss this with. Virginia is only allowing the HOV exemption to vehicles registered by 30 June 2006. After that, it's regular lanes! I don't have much time to figure this out, but I don't want to buy it on a mere "hope", either.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    My aplologies if this has already been covered in this forum, but a search did not show anything relevant. I have a (Toyota Canada) Camry brochure in front of me and on the page devoted to the Camry Hybrid it mentions key features including this: Manual ECO mode for improved mileage. Anybody have any ideas what this is about?