Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GX 470 Maintenance and Repair

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Got an issue with your GX 470? Get some answers from your fellow owners in here.

Steve, Host

Comments

• mariucchmariucch Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 GX 470 with 14,000 miles. I'm starting to hear a pulsating noise/whine that seems to be coming from under the driver's feet when traveling over 70 mph. I even feel alittle vibration when I hear the noise. Any thoughts?
  • boat2boat2 Member Posts: 4
    What happened to all the messages pertaining to problems with the GX470 ie 63-68 mph shake ? clunk when coming to a stop ? This information and nearly 100 messages is now nowhere to be found. Very strange.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There was a database glitch for a few SUV discussions that's being worked on. When it's fixed, the plan is to meld the posting together. We started this discussion so you wouldn't be completely in the lurch in the meantime.

Steve, Host
    :cry: There were a lot of messages relating to your problem on this site. But I can not find it. There were several years worth of info there. I would speculate that someone from Lexus probably had enough and purged it all. The site manager has even changed. Most people were pretty out spoken about the GX470 and you could make a case that it was very damaging to Lexus. The manufacture refused to accept any responability. I can speak from experance and no longer own a 2005 GX-470.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's just a temporary glitch. The posts are still locatable with a net search (example) but hopefully we'll get everything pasted back together in here soon.

Steve, Host
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    The shake went away with miles on my GX (like the dealer said it would). They said it was a flat spot on the tire that goes away eventually. I still get a little clunk sometimes but it doesn't bother me anymore. I must have just gotten used to it.
  • nizhnynizhny Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 GX with 23,000 miles and have experienced the pulsating noise as well. We moved to Phoenix from Seattle -- here we tend to do much more highway/freeway driving. The roads (I-5, I-405) in Seattle are in poor shape so there is a lot of external road noise. However, in Phoenix, many of the freeways are rubberized and therefore much quieter. Thus, at almost the first time I took our GX470 on the freeway here, I noticed a significant vibration/pulsation that starts about 1700 r.p.m. or 62 MPH when slightly hitting the accelerator and goes away at about 78 MPH. Lexus at first said it was the tires and replaced mine, but no change. Also, when I depress the accelerator, the whine/pulsation goes away. I have had into the dealership (Scottsdale Lexus) twice since for more than a week each time and it is still unresolved. They have been very professional and thorough, but at this point, they are going to give it one more shot. I believe the next step is for them to buy it back. I think the vehicle is basically good, but this is unacceptable if they can't fix it. The common thread among all of these boards is that Lexus has a problem, but in order to mitigate liability, they refer to the vibration as "characteristic of the GX." I would love to hear from anyone who has been in service for this issue!
  • ronironi Member Posts: 14
    Hi this is Roni from seattle
    I have not been able to use my garage door opner on the GX am i missing something will apprciate anyones input on it I have been very happy with my GX no problmes has 20,000 miles on it .
    This is exactly what was on the site with many, many entry's Vibration 63-68mph. This is the GX-470 nitemare. The amazing thing is some vehicles do not have the problem. It could also be that owners do not realize they have the problem due to the speed they drive and road conditions. I really don't know. What I do know is my 05 GX-470 is gone and I let it go with only 3300 miles.Lexus dealership balanced tires, switched tires to different locations, then completly installed new tires and rims.Two times on alignment rack. Last, installed a steering dampner kit,no help, which im told is now on every new GX.I was told a factory rep drove my GX and never experienced any vibration at any speed. I knew I was dog meat after that meeting. In all the conversations with Lexus you must understand this..1, there is no problem with the GX. 2, they are unable to fix this vibration, period. If you got it your stuck with it. The 2ad issue is the clunk in the rear after you come to a stop. I've heard this might have been located in the spline joint on the drive shaft.It was so tight of a tolerance that would not slid. This is a rumor which was posted by some people. I never experienced this problem on my GX. I wish I had found this site prior to purchase as I would have never got involved with GX-470.
  • hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    So you dont have the cluck but you have the highway vibration. I would say about 50% of the owners have the cluck, some worst than others. I have it and it is so minor that I can hardly feel it.
    The highway vibration problem is actually very common in the 4runners but not at all that common in the GX. I would say less than 1% of the owners have it. Some 4runner owners have gotten rid of the problem by getting their front wheels aligned with a special alignment machine that simulates force as if you were driving on the highway.
  • bungobungo Member Posts: 6
    Just upgraded from 2002 RX to GX w/nav - still trying to get used to the added height...
    Dunno if this was covered in "missing" posts or another forum (just point me there), but has anyone been able to hard-wire install Sirius/XM modulator (not the wireless tacked-on-dash version) recently? Make/model/company ? Would prefer to see/operate channels thru usual Audio settings.
  • BobsGT235BobsGT235 Member Posts: 63
    You can use either the ES330 or the LX470 kits from Lexus. Of course the dealer will say it will not work, buy it will just fine. I plan to get the LX kit soon because it comes with the roof mount type antenna. The ES kit comes with an inside mount on the windshield which goes next to the auto wiper sensor. Its a big ugly triangle shaped antenna which also doesn't work as well as the roof top mounted antenna.
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone know how to access the screen to change the mic settings? I know in the GS models there is a sequence of things including turning headlights on and off to get the setup screen up. Is there something like this on the GX? Our mic is not sensitive enough and is very tinny.
  • BobsGT235BobsGT235 Member Posts: 63
    The mic sensitivity can be adjusted in the GX. I've read somewhere that it can be done.
  • fpaltierifpaltieri Member Posts: 2
    when facing uphill and try to allow vehicle to roll back the brakes? intermittently grab..anyone with a similar problem...
    "when facing uphill and try to allow vehicle to roll back the brakes? intermittently grab..anyone with a similar problem... "
    Are you talking about the Hill-start Assist Control?
  • fpaltierifpaltieri Member Posts: 2
    my impression was that the hill assist control can only be engaged when going downhill nose first? this problem occurs when i try to roll backwards.
  • ps13ps13 Member Posts: 2
    We have 05 GX 470 and we found that it is hard to keep the vehicle going Straight on a straight road. This is our first 4WD. The dealer took a look at it and found a minor balancing issue, but we are still seeing this problem. The foreman told me that it is because it is 4WD. Is this true? Has anyone experienced this problem.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I don't think it is because of the 4WD, but rather it is due to the design of the truck. I've got a 2003 4Runner, which is made with the same frame, powertrain, and very similar suspension to the GX470. It has poor on-center feel as well.

The good news is that I believe there are 4WD trucks that have better on-center feel. The bad news is that I don't think this can be fixed on the GX470 and 4Runner.

Balancing the tires isn't going to do a thing for on-center feel.
  • ps13ps13 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. Today I went to the Delear again and he said there is nothing they can do about it and we didn't see the problem on our old Ford Ranger (2WD) which is not the best truck in the market and probably the same size as the GX 470.
    I googled Toyota 4Runner and on-center feel and found a number of articles that describe this. Here's one about the 4Runner: "However, vagueness in road-feel and on-center tracking required greater driver attentiveness than in other midsize SUVs that I have jockeyed through a variety of contorted backroads." Here's another about the GX470: "On-center feel and feedback, meanwhile, are similar to a typical family sedan's: pleasant, but not sharp." One about the current Tacoma: "the steering was vague on center"
  • nizhnynizhny Member Posts: 2
    Well, you are right in that I was also "dog meat" after the meeting with the Lexus regional technical rep. Actually, they acknowledged that there indeed was a vibration at 63-68/1700-2000 r.p.m. but that this was a "characteristic" of the vehicle -- I read this on other boards, so they must coach their people with regard to this standard response. So, I am going to trade for another Lexus -- certainly not a GX and, like you, I wish I had never gotten involved with it. By the way, I also had the clunk for a while and it seems to have gone away on it's own, but not true for the vibration.
    Lexus have gotten rid of most of the vibration problem by changing over to the Michelin cross terrain tires.
  • mnsheamnshea Member Posts: 11
    I would appreciate any comments on what kind of gas mileage you are getting in the GX with premium or regular gas. The salesman told me you can use regular instead of premium gas but the mileage would not be as good. He claims the 15 mpg city driving on the sticker is very realistic using premium. What's happening in the real world?
  • lopzlopz Member Posts: 22
    After 52,000 miles, ave. with LOTS of highway 16.4mpg. City 14.0mpg, highway 18.5mpg. Also for those with vibration problems like me (it was VERY bad and nothing would fix it)), I just had new balancing done with a new more advanced machine where they balance wheels at different speeds while the wheels remain on the car (Ihad it done at Lexus of Kendall, Miami). Even though I still have the dunlops on (I hear Michelins better), the vibration is almost (not quite) gone, to a point that it is not a real problem anymore.
    Does anyone know if telescoping steering wheel can be made to come out further--I cannot seem to find a comfortable driving position otherwise and I drive 40,000 miles a year. Thanks for any useful info on this one way or another.
  • cdfwifecdfwife Member Posts: 37
    After 1200 miles, I am at a steady average of 15.9. I always use regular gas, as I did with my MDX. Call me a sceptic, but I would really doubt if using premium gas increased mileage. (Performance, yes, mileage-no.) I would say that my travels are split evenly between highway and city. I drive 42 miles round trip each day. Hoping for better mileage but not holding my breath. Has anyone else been able to increase mileage with premium gas?
  • shepalishepali Member Posts: 72
    Does anyone have issues with the cruise control on a 2006 GX470 gear hunting at highway speeds? It consistently downshift and then upshifts at just the slightest uphill incline - much more pronounced than any other vehicle I've driven. Its definitely something I can live with - but wondered if there was some adjustment that could be done?

The one thing I've found that does help is to drive in 4th vs. overdrive - but that dropped the average MPG by more than 2 miles...which isn't really worth it to me.

I'm thinking its because the engine is more sensitive/responsive than other SUVs, and so it is actually a positive benefit in disguise. But just curious if anyone else experiences this and if there is any other option to minimize it...
    Regarding the garage door opener...if you have a 'rolling code' garage door, there is a sequence you have to go through to 'teach' the car. I don't have my manual in front of me...but if I recall, you have to prep the car to receive the codes (i think that is holding down the button you want to program until it blinks fast), then go to your garage door opener assembly hanging from the ceiling and press the button, then go back to the car and press the button in the car you want to program. You may have to do this twice...but it should work. I do refer you to the manual to be sure I described it right though..
  • mybenzmybenz Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04' GX470 and used reg. gas for the 1st 10K miles. Then I changed over to 93 octane. I really don't notice too much difference in gas mileage but feel the car rides smoother and responds better with the higher octane. However, with the price of gas being so high I wonder if I went back to reg. gas would I harm the engine. Does any one have any suggestions?
  • stocktraderstocktrader Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 GX and have the same experience when setting cruise. It is bothersome when it downshifts so abruptly on a slight incline; but I have not asked the service guys about it yet.
  • jimbo28jimbo28 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone experience this one? My break pedal vibrates when depressed. The vibration lasts for a second or two and can happen when I am slowing down or have been sitting at a traffic signal for awhile. It just suddenly vibrates, enough for me and other drivers of the car to notice. It is very noticeable. Lexus claimed they could not duplicate the problem. I also experience the "clunk" when stopped at a light or stop sign. I have horror stories with this problem in my previous vehicle, the LX470.
    The vibration is normal. You'll find in on the GX470 and its stablemate, the Toyota 4Runner. The accumulator pump turns on every few times that you press the brake pedal.

As for the clunk, it's probably the slip yokes that need greasing. It's no surprise that you experienced on the LX470 -- the drivetrain and suspension of the LX and GX are very, very similar.
  • ironman87ironman87 Member Posts: 3
    My wife has a 06 GX470.I only drive it once a month own the way to the beach.The first 75 miles of the 180 mile trip is rolling interstate.The cruise drives me crazy because as you stated,only a slight incline causes the car to lurch into passing gear as if it must keep me dead on the 75mph mark I usually select.I have found that shifting from drive to 4th just before the beginning of a hill makes for a smoother transition.
    I am always playing with the gear lever anyway to help decelerate when braking I guess because one of our cars is a 6 speed manual.
    Let me know if you find out that this shifting behavior is not normal.Thanks.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    The cruise drives me crazy because as you stated,only a slight incline causes the car to lurch into passing gear

We took my wife's '04 GX470 on only its second long trip ... Tucson to Yosemite and back ... and the cruise control drove me crazy as well. I also found the car/truck to be stunningly unstable at speeds above 70 and with any breeze at all I fought with the car to maintain straight line driving. Actually made me long for the Grand Cherokee we traded in for this "luxury" ride. If I had driven this car on the hiway before buying it I wouldn't have bought it ... it is, IMO, a grossly overrated vehicle. Fancy shmancy, but for $53+K I really feel I made a BIG mistake. My wife loves it, but she's really clueless about how a vehicle should ride. Bart :mad: :shades:
    We have 05 GX 470 and we found that it is hard to keep the vehicle going Straight on a straight road.

My experience exactly. Our GX470 has horrible road manners at highway speeds ... our old Grand Cherokee was an infinitely better road car ... the Lexus doesn't come close to it. From the posts I'm seeing here it's an inherently poor performer by design. Bart :mad:
  • txlexastxlexas Member Posts: 1
    Annoying problem. On my GX470, the trip timer does not automatically reset after turning off the engine. You will have to hit the reset button for it to reset to 0 minute. I checked the manual and it is suppose to reset after each time the engine is shut off but I called the dealership and they said all of their 06's are showing the same symptoms as mine.

Is this a known problem and a misprint in the manual?
    Is this a known problem and a misprint in the manual?

I've had several cars over the years that have the trip timer - E/T, and NONE of them reset automatically. Gotta be a misprint in the manual. It would be silly to have it reset every time you turn the engine off. How long does it take me to get to San Diego? If I stop for gas or a bite to eat I'd have NO idea of my total elapsed time unless I did that with my watch ... and that would totally eliminate the value of the E/T timer IMO
    . Bart :shades:
    The bad news is that I don't think this can be fixed on the GX470 and 4Runner.

I'm very disappointed w/ the hiway stability of my GX ... had I been to this board before I bought it, or had the good sense to test it on the hiway, I wouldn't have gone near it. I had a Navigator that was FAR superior on the road, and for that matter my wife's Grand Cherokee was far superior on the road ... not as quiet, not as luxurious, but far easier to drive at hiway speeds. My two daughters had Isuzu Rodeos that were better!
    Bart :mad:
  • alexmn76alexmn76 Member Posts: 6
    well, i usually hate putting praise for stuff on forums. So here is my objective feedback: Keep in mind, that I have driven cars mostly and this is my first truck.

I have GX 2005 with 10k miles:
    - One thing I agree, the steering feels awkward ... and I have to deliberately attempt to keep it in center, while noticing it is not quite always. I usually dont mind though, cause I thought this is mainly due to height of GX ... consequently steering so much away from wheels.

- this truck rides more smoother, more quieter, more buttery than any car, i have ever driven ... so its joyous aspect

- when i bought, its wheels were not aligned and I took it to dealer, since then, it drives flawlessly

- the truck has tremendous acclerating power, overtaking power with nice braking. On accelerating you literally feel as if rocket just burnt initial fuel and now takin off (and i love the faint sound that GX gives)

All that said, I'm these days concerned about gas consumption, 16.1 mpg on my vehicle is too much.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    That's not bad - my Navigators got me 12 in town.... THAT's BAD. I'm actually encouraged to hear you get 16, as I'm trolling these sites to learn about these trucks as a potential replacement for my wife's car.
    my Navigators got me 12 in town

alexmn76: I had a Navigator two cars ago and it's hiway driveability was far superior to my wife's GX. I've been very disappointed w/ the way the GX maintains road stability at high speeds, so if you're replacing your wife's Navigator and plan to do a significant amount of extended high speed hiway driving I cannot recommend the GX. It is clearly not the concensus on this thread that the GX is awkward at high speeds, but there are quite a few posters who share my experience
    . Bart
    I haven't been to the dealer yet to ask about the cruise control 'features' - I only have just over 3k miles on mine. It is quite annoying, and my husband does the same thing with shifting to 4th. Actually...he just keeps it in 4th the whole time in cruise. We live in Texas - so its kinda hard for us to tell when we're approaching a 'hill' - but the GX certainly KNOWS! Anyway...shifting to 4th helps the problem, but causes about 2-4mpg decrease in fuel efficiency. I've just learned to accept the 'feature', as its WAY better than the transmission problems I was having in the ES (see ES forum for more of THOSE horror stories!).

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the GX though....
    I don't experience the vibration in the brake pedal, except when the ABS kicks in - which happened TWICE this week. When that happens, the brake pedal drops to the floor, and it feels like the brakes actually aren't working anymore! It freaked me out!! The first time it happened when I hit a large pothole while slightly braking as I approached a stop sign - yikes! The second time, the next day, was actually because I slammed on the brakes for a valid reason. The tires skidded momentarily, then the brake pedal dropped to the floor and vibrated slightly - and I came to a stop.

As for the clunk - I do feel that at most stops. I think its actually just the car shifting out of gear. The first few times I actually thought I had been slightly rear-ended. But now...I've gotten used to it. Doesn't seem to be any kind of safety issue, b/c the car reacts quickly and smoothly when the gas pedal is then depressed. So, I'm not too concerned with it.

Not sure what your problems were with the LX, but I did have horror story problems with my ES. So...I know your uneasy feeling of concern - the 'did I just get into ANOTHER problem Lexus?' feeling. Anyway...all in all, I am quite pleased with the GX.
    Got it, blov, thank you. Before I buy, I'll investigate this issue thoroughly. Frankly, I loved my Navigators, and long for another one. They were great trucks.
    Good solution ... never crossed my mind! At today's gas prices I wouldn't want to regularly give up on 2 - 4 mpg but on the drive between Tucson and San Diego it makes sense to drop back to 4th for the western 1/4 of the trip to get away from that annoying incessant downshifting of the cruise control. Bart
  • bsackett1bsackett1 Member Posts: 1
    A Lexus is in no way in the same relm of a Lincoln Navigator. A Lincoln is a glorified Ford and Fords don't last very long as far as reliabaility goes! It seems me to me that some people are just beyond picky. I have a 2006 Lexus with 5k miles and if reported no problems or imperfections with the vehicle. My last vehcile was a 2004 Audi Allroad Quattro and again there is no comparison in the ride or the ameneties that Lexus offers to their customers. I know for a fact that Lincoln with not give out a loaner car for an oil change but Lexus will with no exceptions to it's customers. I have taken my Lexus GX 470 offroading as well and have found the offoroading in the vehcicle very compliant. Try taking you Lincoln Navi in dirt, it would probably break apart into pieces on the first bit of dirt it touches.
    Don't even start with the "Glorified Ford" stuff again. The GX470 is a glorified 4-Runner, the LX470 is a glorified Land Cruiser, the Rav-4 is actually a Corolla under there, the ES-330 is a glorified Camry, and on and on. I own a Lexus, I know how good they are! But Ford is the truck king, and Ford trucks, whether they be Lincoln or Ford, are darn good too. Whether or not you like them.
    Secondly, Lincoln has NOT ONCE failed to give me a loaner for an oil change, or any other service I've had, for the past 15 years! Finally, if you bother to check my carspace, you'll see my 03 Navigator (may it rest in peace in Phoenix somewhere) in Death Valley, on the Race Track road, which is a 30 mile one way jeep trail only, and it not only came back without incident, it had just as many rattles as when we started - 0 -. Your comments are unnecessary, your facts are in error, and if you have not had one, unresponsive. So let's just move on please, to helping people with their problems here constructively.
    First of all, as already posted the GX is a dressed up and oversized Toyota 4Runner. Second, next time you're in an airport count the number of Lincoln limo's v. the Caddy limo's (and Ford cabs, for that matter) Lincolns are far better assembled for endurance than GM. I will not deny for a moment that Lexus dresses up a vehicle better than just about anyone but that doesn't make it a great hiway vehicle. It's road manners, not overall vehicle quality and finish, with which I have my beef. Bart
  • conflictedguyconflictedguy Member Posts: 7
    Just bought a new GX 470, and my salesperson, who seems to be pretty knowlegable about the car, told me that LEXUS needed to fill the tires with air in order to "register" the tire monitors properly.

I was surprised -- "You mean -- if a tire is low -- I need to bring it in to Lexus Service?!"

"Yes. Otherwise, they won't report accurately."

After reading the GX 470 Owner's Manual, it seem like Lexus absolutely didn’t care if you fill your tires yourself, and in fact, recommend you check and maintain tire pressure. No warning about Lexus Service needing to "register" or adjust each monitor.

I understand the need to "register" new tires with different batches of monitors. That makes sense.

Has anyone EVER heard this before? Is there anything about this issue (like a TSIB) from Lexus? Where could I refer this salesperson if she is misinformed?

--
    Has anyone EVER heard this before? Is there anything about this issue (like a TSIB) from Lexus? Where could I refer this salesperson if she is misinformed?

Our GX is an '04 and from what I can gather from the salespeople and the manual the tire monitors only signal a "low" inflation "too late light". I don't get their reasoning. I'd rather have NO monitors and rely on my old hand-held guage than have a semi-reliable monitoring system. My daily ride is an Infiniti M35 ... it monitors all four tires but not accurately enough for me to feel totally comfortable with inflation. I still check them every couple of weeks. Bart :(