Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    I thought you had to be a shrink to make that kind of money. Holy crap!
  • 1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    You have to realize the cost of living in Alaska is somewhat higher than the lower 48. The going rate for a dealer mechanic in my area (Kentucky) is $65+ an hour.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You should also understand that the hourly rate includes overhead such as rent, capitalization, equipment, benefits and so on.

Depending on the location and other factors, the overhead can be as high as 100% of the mechanic's salary.

tidester, host
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I had two of them. They were the finest cars I have ever owned, totally reliable and a pure delight to drive.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Well, I talked to the ford dealer today, they think its the catalytic converter in my truck but need to *diagnose* it first, if its not, i'm out $167, but might know what the smell is, if it is, well, its covered under the emissions warranty and I'm out nothing and the smell goes away.

I'm thinking that's what it is now, they said it wouldn't necessarily trigger a CEL and I'm noticing more and more lack of power. Darn thing was like driving a Geo metro today, had to go through the hills, thought I was gonna have to get out an push.

I'm becoming less and less amused with this Explorer, the transmission is stumbling, no power, smells terrible, the doors leak, oy!! What's next?? Reminds me of the 94 Navajo (2 door Explorer) I used to own. I still like the truck, but the Chevy in our yard looks more appealing at this point.

So, I'll keep it until the extended warranty is up and move on, least it will be paid for by then.

I'm starting to think about just going back to a horse and cart, least then I can get *under the hood* myself and fix it.
    Oh, c'mon akangl, I can tell you've never driven a horse before! You'll actually get through this major trial. If you don't like the car anymore, trade it! Don't suffer in silence, or non-silence either.
    Actually, I have driven a horse before and I currently own one too. Believe me, she's a lot less headache than a car.

Can't trade the thing until its paid off and the extended warranty is up, so I gotta stick it out until 80k at least.....hehehe, what's that? A year?? *thinks* has 46k on it now, I put on 35k/yr....so yup, a year. Oh who knows, if it gets better I may hang on to it. This has got to be just the 50k bump that all cars go through right??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't encourage her! Long story, but I think Akangl has owned more cars in the last 2 years than I have in 20.

First snow will be there in, oh, two weeks - better find the winter tires and double check the 4WD as you track down the emissions leak :-)

I guess you decided against Texas, eh?

Steve, Host
    Nah, not gonna trade it, too close to not having a car payment again....I like that feeling a little too much to want to trade cars.

I'm frustrated with the Explorer, probably makes it worse that our Chevy is down at the moment. I think my Explorer is still reeling from the dent in the fender......still have no idea where it came from.

Its a long story why I'm still here, but Alaska is where I'll stay and I'm less one best friend of 15 years, but still have my husband of 10 years.

As for snow, yeah right, it was 70 today.

The Explorer is AWD and as far as I can tell it works, but who knows. Snow tires?? who needs those??]

BTW, in the last 2 years I personally have only owned 4 cars, one was repoed (during bk), one croked, on I sold because I thought I was leaving, and the last one I still have. *sticks tongue out at Steve* so there!!
    70 today? Global warming is gonna melt all the permafrost up there.

Let's see, I've had 4 cars since '82. Guess we're tied :-)

I still bet you get some measurable amount of the white stuff by Sept. 15.

Steve, Host
    Bite your tongue!!! No snow until November please!!

Last year we didn't have snow until the end of October and the beginning of October was in the 60's.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Yesterday, I took my '99 XLS to the dealer to have the standing recalls addressed and also the thumping in the drivetrain and vibration at highway speeds all taken care of. I was told the parts were not available to fix my recalls, but they suspected my transfer case as the cause of the thumping and my front tires are "cupped" or "chopped" so that was the cause for the vibration. They changed the fluid in my transfer case to the tune of $45, and rotated my front tires to the rear and balanced them to the tune of $30...so after tax my bill was $83. When I picked up the Explorer from the dealership yesterday afternoon, my right turn signal would not work, but the indicator on the dash was illuminated as well as the right rear turn lamp, plus the headlights and one driving light were on very dim without the switch even being on. When I turned the headlights on, only the lights on the driver side would work...the headlight and driving light, the ones on the passenger side were just barely lit, and the right rear turn lamp was still on. I called the dealership back when I got home and told them, and they scheduled me for 11 this morning to fix the multifunction switch recall. I was notified at 1:30 today that it was ready, went to pick it up and it was doing the same thing, and I couldn't get the turn signal stalk to work right when making a left turn. Told them before I left the lot it was still doing the same thing, and the service sales manager called the technicians over who then began the blame game as to who was responsible, and this one cocky little jerk, the same one who informed me yesterday that my brand new good years needed to be replaced, that the problem wasn't because of the recall, the recall only fixed something that may cause a fire. The lights going haywire was something else, meaning: "something I'd have to pay for." I kindly informed them...in much better terms than what I'm about to say, that the car was FINE when I left it with them the day before, that problem unexisting, and that I'd part someone's thighs with the car before I'd pay for some slacker jerk's screw up. I wasn't even offered a loaner car, but instead a kind old man who liked to talk a lot drove me home. I told them that if the Explorer couldn't be fixed today, then I'd need substitute transportation to get to work and back. They're supposed to call me back when it's ready. What a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. QUALITY CRAP SERVICE is more like it.
    Yep, some of the mechanics at the Quality Care stores are morons, no doubt about it.
  • ogbonnaogbonna Member Posts: 25
    My kingdom for a fuel filter. I installed (not
    an easy task) an new filter ($21.00 at Ford, $6.99
    at AutoZone) I blew through the old one and got
    some resitence. The rough Idle is almost gone.
    I am certain it will get back normal after driving it some.
    Awesome, I hope that does it. Nice when you can fix your own car for $7, right?
    Check out the links in this post and if you want more, do a Search This Discussion in the Toyota 4Runner for "sulfur."

Steve, Host
    For my money, these were the two most informative bits in all of it (the Mazda bulletin link is dead)
    http://www.ipia.ie/oilbrief/hydrogen.htm http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/exhaust.html

Most of the forum posts seemed to be rehash of what we've already speculated on here.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    After having my 2002 V8 4WD Explorer (leather, etc.) spend most of this summer (about 7 weeks in all) at a Ford dealer's service shop for transmission problems...and after FOUR alleged attempts to repair it, the truck's transmission was still not fixed. In fact, on the last repair attempt (2 more weeks of shop time) two Ford Field engineers were reportedly brought in to test drive, diagnose, and make suggestions as to what might be tried next in order to fix the problems. So, I decided it was time to cut my losses-- I sold my Explorer and am now the proud and thrilled owner of a new 2003, V8, AWD, 4Runner Limited, that's loaded, including GPS navigation/DVD module. Perpetual Ford Explorer Woes, indeed. No more for me.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Haha, What a load of crap that is. Why didn't they just make you happy and give you a new transmission? Or even a new Explorer? Oh well, this is a classic example of why Ford is continuing to loose market share. I don't think things are going to get better with Ford giving their techs less time to get full pay, to do warranty repairs. What Next? Anyway, goodluck with your 4Runner :-)
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    My recent experience at the Ford dealer was a rather sucky one. I called Ford after the crappy service and made a formal complaint. I took my car back to the same dealer yesterday morning and it was like a different place compared to my first visit there. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, and I was given the keys to a '02 Sable to drive until my Explorer ('99 XLS) was repaired. I actually got a call this morning at 8:30 saying my Explorer was ready, and the problem had been fixed. Some wiring directly behind the blower had melted, thus shorting and causing my freaky problems. My Costguard extended warranty covered the repair and the rental Sable. Like I said, I couldn't get ANYWHERE with those people the other day when I went, then when I returned it was all magically happening without a hitch, and the repair didn't take long at all. I also told them to go ahead and do the recall on the seat as well, I hope they did indeed get that done. My guess is once the owner of the dealership got the complaint I left, he had a few words with his employees.
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    Thinking about an explorer, but after reading your comments, I'm not so sure. Should I or shouldn't I? Would appreciate your comments here or email. Brian211@tmail.com. Also looking at new mitsubishi endeavor, pilot, highlander or envoy.
    The vast majority of us have had excellent experiences with Explorers, if not the dealers. But alas, there are a few lemons out there. Nevertheless, I have a 94 with 115,000 miles on it, that runs amazingly well. Only problem has been a recent failure of the front differential to engage. Have had a 97 and 98 Mountaineer, and still have an 02 Mountaineer, with no problems. So you should be happy with one. The odds are in your favor. The Envoy is a little less a sure thing. The Highlander is a fine machine, but small & tinny. The Pilot should be fine, if you like it. Both are built on a minivan platform, if that doesn't bother you. Good luck hunting. I'm not afraid to get another Explorer, or derivitive.
    I would recommend the Explorer based on my 3 good ones and a close friend who has a 2003 Mountaineer (sister clone to the Explorer). I have gotten pretty good service from the first two Explorers 96 and 2000, and so far am getting good service from my third, also a 2000. My friend leases vehicles and got his 03 Mountaineer almost a year ago. He hasn't had any problems with it in about 40,000 miles, and he just recently ordered another one because he was so satisfied. You may want to work an extended warranty into the deal, just in case ;-)
    The Envoy, while nice looking seemes to have (had?) some pretty serious programming and electrical issues, though those may be worked out by now, I am not sure. The Highlander is a nice ride, though it seems a little small. The 4Runner is also a nice looking vehicle, and bound to be built well, though I see it is not on your list. I really don't know anything about the Mitsu. Sorry :-/ If it were my decision I would pick the Explorer hands down, but I am biased based on my good experiences with Explorers. If it were me, I would drive each and see which offers the most things that are important to me at the best value. Goodluck!
  • hwydavehwydave Member Posts: 4
    Greeting everyone,

I just move to Mount Prospect (Chicago Northwest suburb), IL. I have a 1999 Explorer XLT (35,000 miles). I have been taking good care of it. The Explorer recently developed some clinking noise that come and goes; so far it has been more annoyance than driving issue. I want to avoid "overprice and lousy" dealer service if possible (I had my share of similar experiences that IDNTNVU went through). Can anyone suggest a trust worthy and competent "non-dealer" service shop that specialized on Explorer in the area? Thanks a bunch!
    This recall is 1998-2000 Explorer and Mountaineer
    Reads: A bolt that attaches the seat recliner
    mechanism to the driver seat back frame on your
    vehicle may fracture. If this condition were to occur, you may experience looseness or noise in the seat. In extreme cases the seat back may recline until it makes contact with an object behind the seat or second row cushion. This could potentially cause you to lose contact with the steering wheel or foot pedals, possibly resulting in a crash.

This was sent to me the first week in Sept. 2003.
    Does anybody know what Fortifier the The quality
    care people use when they change the oil??

washijl@auburn.edu
    What's a fortifier??
  • smoransmoran Member Posts: 1
    We recently had flooding in our area. We tried driving through some water but the engine just shut down on us half way through. When we had it towed in the service dept. explained that it didn't matter how much water we tried to drive through, you could drive through 3" and have this problem. The air intake is located so low in the Ford SUV's that it "sucks in" all the water and locks up the engine, therefore causing it to be replaced. This is with the 2000-2001-2002 trucks. They have a "design flaw" and Ford manufacturers will not admit this. Ford will NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY and WILL NOT RECALL the vehicles. Our insurance company is stuck taking the fall. WE WILL NOT keep our Explorer after this. Not only will we take a loss in cost since we won't get much out of selling it, but we will also have to take time out to find a new vehicle. I feel very strongly about the Toyota 4-Runners and Highlanders. Great consumer ratings, fuel efficiency, etc.
    I think your first mistake was driving through the water. Otherwise any vehicle out there will suck in water in that situation. I really don't think this is Fords fault, as it would take well over 3 inches for water to get sucked in to the Explorer's intake. It would probably take closer to three feet. I must say this is a first (someone blaming Ford for a waterlogged engine) , and that I sure am glad to hear your insurance is going to cover the engine replacement.
    I agree. I've driven my Explorers, 94, 97, 98 & 2002 through lakes, and never locked up the engine, so something is fishy here. And 3 inches of water? Pullleese!!!! Also, the 00 and 01 truck is completely different than the 02, so what's with grouping this "defect" in 00 through 02? Go sell this yarn somewhere else pal, it ain't flying here. Enjoy your Toyodas.
  • opera_house_wkopera_house_wk Member Posts: 326
    I saw an ad on TV that showed you could drive it under water to help cute girls cross a river. Come to think of it, wasn't an Explorer swimming with the sharks in another. Admit it, you just were trying to be Macho Boy and did something stupid. I bet the last words out of your mouth before it lockd up were the perverbial, "Hey, watch this."
  • bieraugelbieraugel Member Posts: 4
    This is great....Blame Ford for a stupid error on your part. I've also heard that SUBMARINES work well in deep water. I'm not so sure that Ford sells one however!!! Check E-Bay
  • aiutoaiuto Member Posts: 46
    My father has a 2000 explorer and recently the lights on the dashboard are flashing 4wd and 2wd simultaneously. The dealer wants $75 just to look at the car and more to fix it. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem is and if so how to fix it.

Thanks.
    aiuto

aiuto@att.net
    There are numerous things that can cause this from dirty sensors bad electronics to bad motors. I've rebuilt shift motor assemblies many times in my 92 Explorer. Recently purchased a 97 that had a flashing light. Previous owner had just put a new motor on but still couldn't get it to work. I drained the transfer case fluid which was extremely low and nasty. Then I put new fluid in and disconnected the battery to reset the computer. Haven't had a problem in over a year. So as a start, try disconnecting the battery and look for a leak. Some of the shaft seals fail rather early.
  • aiutoaiuto Member Posts: 46
    opera house thanks. will give it a try
    Lubricant additives that lower friction and fill the pores of metal.
    Try searching for "oil fortifier" or "oil fortifier used by ford" for what these are supposed to do.
  • 1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    FYI, `Oil Fortifier' is just that.....it is an additive that `fortifies', or treats the oil. It does nothing to the metal components of the engine except allow the oil to `cling', thus reducing wear at cold starts, etc. Because it doesn't treat the metal, it must be added to the oil at each oil change.
    Some of the `oil fortifier' websites will specify that they are oil treatments only, and assist the oil in adherence to the metal, due to metallic surfaces lack of porosity.
  • nellcoopnellcoop Member Posts: 30
    Anyone else who are or were 1991-2000 Explorer owner's receive a letter on behalf of a plaintiff named "Terri Shields" out of Jefferson County Texas regarding Firestone tires? Suit is filed by this woman stating that Firestone sold the tires (long list of which tires) without telling consumers that they contained alleged defects that made/make them prone to tread separation. She is looking for settlement due to negligence from what I could make from this two page letter with a zillion "section A, part 1, etc's..." to it. I no longer own my 1999 Exploder so I was a caught of guard to receive this letter. Anyone else out there get one?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    No kidding! Firestone sold defective tires and didn't tell the public. i can see it now you're shopping for tires and they have Firestone tires with absolutely no defects on one side and a special sale on the defective ones in the back. 50% off!! What a bargain!!

Sorry to make light of the situation especially so many people died but wasn't this issue dealt with and settled a couple of years ago. I hate to keep beating a dead horse but I rather deal with problems with the Explorer.
  • nellcoopnellcoop Member Posts: 30
    It's an old issue, I realize, but I'm simply looking to see if anyone else has received this letter which was solely my question. Responses to if anyone else has received it would be appreciated.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    sounds like the counsel is fishing for witnesses. perfectly legal. not very questionable, either. now, some may think you have a weak case if you are scattergunning letters out there. if you liked "Erin Brockovich," you know it's sometimes necessary to develop a pool of interested parties to get something done.

would like to know what criteria they are using to target recipients, but it's probably the NHTSA complaints log or something like that.
    Told they wouldn't replace the spare. I guess they think if you have to put the spare on, you should only drive 30 mph!
    On my 97 Explorer it has replacement tires, looks like when the orginal owner had it done they did all 5. My friend at the tire shop where I go said that any of the recall tires they did were all 5. They had to take all the firestones off the truck, including the spare.

I personally had the Firestone Radial ATX on my Navajo (2-door Explorer) and B-4000 (Ford Ranger), I never had a problem with them. Well, except for wintertime, they were too hard of a rubber for winter, no traction. I think it just boiled down to tire pressure, we had ours inflated to the max on the tire. We don't go by the door since we are always towing or hauling something.
    They are supposed to do all 5, including the spare. That's ludicrous that they wouldn't, and I'd be screaming. A defective tire anywhere in your possession is a potential injury and lawsuit. You may want to remind them of that.
    Nellcoop, this article should help:

Bridgestone/Firestone Announces Noninjury Class Settlement Details

"The next step, according to McDonald, is to get the message about the settlement out to affected consumers nationwide. McDonald said Bridgestone/Firestone would present its notification plan, which includes direct mail and print ad components, to the court the week of Aug. 25."

Steve, Host
    the ATX was a designated "safe spare" on the rangers, and they didn't replace ANY of them officially on the spare hanger.

the Wilderness ATs were a different story, Ford wanted all of them out of the way, at their own expense if necessary. guy across the aisle from me at work didn't get his spare changed out, I had him go back and get it done. I made sure all 5 of my => KILLER TIRES! tm <= were gone before I drove out, and mentioned it when I drove in.

If you had Aiken, SC tires, most of them were supposedly acceptable, except for the hard sliding rubber and the funky tread that didn't do the job in snow. mine were Canadian, and I was quite disgusted with the performance, whether or not I had to take all the tools and sharp instruments out of the garage to be sure the => KILLER TIRES! tm <= didn't run on a murdering rampage at the drop of a stone from the tread.

Ford really stepped up on this, and having had a set of the shredding TPC 500s as OEM on my 76 Buick and being blown off by Firestone on that recall until I put my TV news badge on and said it was time to head back to work.. when there was steel wool coming out of the tread edges already... I surely appreciated that.

I did OK on FR480s on my Ranger (OEM and one replacement set,) but I've had it with Firestone, and will crawl over broken glass through gang gunfire to get to my Ford dealer when next I need to trade, to see what he's got.
    I've had the same experience, coincidentally, as my 76 Buick Skylark had Firestone 500's on it, which all separated one by one, and GM did nothing about it but refer me to the Firestone Dealer, who put an equally bad tire on to replace them. I too think Ford stepped up nicely on this problem, and NHTSA did clear Ford of any wrongdoing as I recall.

Not an easy thing for Ford to do, with the Firestone family related by marriage so deeply in the Ford family. Of course, it's really Bridgestone now. I am amazed that the tires were so bad, but not surprised that Bridgestone disavowed them. Mitsubishi has done that for years, and in fact, most of the Japanese companies don't issue recalls, they issue denials generally.
    which was done as they headed into a sales slump with the deterioration of the economy. that definitely hurt big time. but they knew it had to be done to distance the brand from the issue, and they didn't just crab and snipe from the sidelines, they did the reverse engineering to show how variable the assembly of the => KILLER TIRES! tm <= really was. day to day, plant to plant, there was no uniformity of design or inner materials on those tires. Aiken, SC was about the only place where the designed shoulder was used throughout.

truck was even lowered in 96 or 97 by a third of an inch in center of gravity with the elimination of the Twin I-Beam suspension, and was nicely stable. the 2002 and up versions were lowered another half inch in CG by pocketing suspension through the frame... and with making the track just over two inches wider, it's a pretty square-shouldered object on the road.

all of which suggests that while Ford continues niggling a penny out of this and a nickel out of that, like virtually every other manufacturer, they overall gave a rip about whether you got out of the truck at the destination or whether the rescue squad could take its time cutting you out, because time didn't matter any more.

I've had to fix a couple tangential little items on both my Fords, but less than anything else I've had, and I'm inclined to stay with 'em at this point.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    not trying do defend firestone; maybe i'm just lucky.
    just my experience with 4 sets of wilderness tires. first set on 1991 explorer, swapped them out for another set at 70k, tire dealer said most people wouldn't change them out with that much tread on them. i pointed out to him they were over 5 years old and we were headed into winter. second set on 94 explorer 35k, traded truck in. third set 1997 explorer 49k traded truck in, plenty of tread left. 2000 expedition 20k, turned them in with the recall. bought my own tires, so i had to bring them back to the dealer to get reimbursed. they looked brand new inside and out.
    btw, got some pirelli scorpion a/t's. those suckers were like driving on duct tape! kind of noisy though. firestones never felt all that great wet or dry.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Yes, but, sounds like you live in a fairly cool climate? The problems were much much more pronounced in the sun belt and below. I too had ATX & Wilderness tires that gave me no problem, however, I never put more than 36,000 miles on a set before they went back in. But I do live in heat, and we had some come apart around here. It's my understanding that statistically, they rarely failed in places that had snow part of the year.