Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Navigation System Questions

2»

Comments

• etpetp Member Posts: 155
    You need to create folders with the large media to make it easier to navigate. Example=rock, classical, etc
  • licarshopperlicarshopper Member Posts: 2
    hey I am thinking of buying Civic.. I am just wondering does the navigation system get traffic updates? Since I am buying this car for long commutes, it would be nice.
  • fishhawk_iifishhawk_ii Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with the nav system. Several months ago, the toggle stopped working and I can no longer pan around a map. This loss of functionality on a nav system as expensive as Honda's is extremely troubling. I went to my dealer and the service manager says Honda does not do any repair work on nav systems. He offered to sell me an OEM replacement for about $4,000 (can you believe he could say this with a straight face).

My questions are:

1) Has anyone had a similar problem with their nav system toggle?

2) Does Honda really abandon it's customers who purchase enhanced technology options like a nav system, and

3) Has anyone had success getting the toggle replaced so their system works properly again?
  • zekazeka Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

It's unbelievable!
    Put Honda on copy of this manifest nonsense!
    How much did you pay for that extra option?

joe / HCH2007 :mad:
  • yossarian3yossarian3 Member Posts: 30
    We bought a used HCH with NAV and the toggle also doesn't work. I am contemplating contacting the dealer to push this since the car still has a warranty from the dealer (the Honda electronics warranty expired). It is annoying.

We had an Acura MDX and the GPS crapped out. The screen would work only occasionally, and we had to input the security code each time we started the car. The dealer wanted $350 just to try to diagnose the problem.
    So we had our battery die on us and we needed to go through the rigormorale of trying to input the stupid anti-theft code. Unfortunately, we couldn't find the code. Not to fear, Honda Owner Link can help us. We were able to successfully track down the unit serial number (using diagnostics) and provided all of the necessary information and received the 4 digit code.

BUT THE CODE DOESN'T WORK. So I can see where this is going. If Alpine cannot provide a new code (yeah, right), we are going to be stuck with a busted system. I don't even care about the below grade GPS unit. But not having a radio is going to drive me nuts.

I should have learned my lesson when our Acura Nav system crapped out on us. But we bought this car used and it was a good price for the car. I should have built in the cost to rip out a crappy system and install an aftermarket stereo.
    The Boch Honda Service Department came through and got us a functioning code! I was skeptical after they did the same thing as everyone else (get us the serial number; are you sure the code doesn't work?). Then they had me retrieve the model/reference number. Apparently, that made a difference. Two hours later, they call back with a different code, and it was successful.

This was a pleasant surprise after trying to work with a local dealer who pulled the GPS unit out of the car and could not come up with the code. I even called Honda directly, and to call them useless on this would be generous.

At the end of the day, it took a little bit of personal contact between the dealership and the GPS manufacturer. And that made the difference.
  • loisinwaretownloisinwaretown Member Posts: 1
    I have a Honda navigaional system and the toggle switch is not working correctly - just read other posts and I'm disappointed at the response they got from HONDA
  • carmencarpcarmencarp Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with my toggle. It will move to the left, but that is all. I got the same response from Honda. I scour the web looking for new information every few months. Has anyone had any success getting this issue fixed? Anyone take their apart and DIY fix it?
  • cenohiocenohio Member Posts: 3
    Alpine electronics will repair your navi system for $158.00 call them Good luck
  • lafdbuflafdbuf Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid in February of 2008. Can anyone tell me what version of the Navteq map disc came with my Navi system in this car? Honda can't, and Navteq can only guess.

Thanks
  • undhiyu24undhiyu24 Member Posts: 3
    I just got the same exact issue on my Honda Civic 2007 Navigation system. The Toggle button used to pan the map works only for going left but not anymore for up/down or right. The Honda dealership offered a deal to replace the panel for $800 with 50:50 split of cost between me & them. That is expensive & just irritating for a small button issue.

If a lot of folks see the same issue, this could be a defect in the product and they should do a recall just like the recent defective sun visors.

Those who see the same issue please post here.
  • 2drive12drive1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 civic hybrid. I have the same problem. The toggle only works to the left. I got the car new and the up direction was always a problem to move up, but it moved.
    I would suggest those having the same issue to tweet @ HondaCustSvc as I have and hope to get them address this common concern.

Thanks.
  • bentpistonbentpiston Member Posts: 2
    Like carmencarp, my toggle button failed -- TWICE -- in my 2006 Honda Civic Si. The first time was a few weeks before the warranty expired. Now it has failed again. I always thought the part was weak, and difficult to activate. (You have to use far too much force to activate it. After it is activated it does not respond sensitively to pressure.) There is DEFINITELY a design defect involved.
    Honda official called me after the twitter mesg and asked me to get a certified Honda dealer to run an assessment of the problem and submit an official diagnosis to him. Honda dealer says the charge for the assessment is $150 !!! There are again no promises by the Honda Customer rep or the dealer that this charge will be eventually covered by Honda. This just keeps getting ridiculous!!!
  • bentpistonbentpiston Member Posts: 2
    undhiyu24, Honda is not making it easy for us to ever buy another Honda. It's obvious what the problem is and they should be able say how much it costs to fix. When I have time I'll talk to my dealer and try to get more information. Such as, how much to fix ASSUMING it is the toggle (which we know).
  • need2fix2need2fix2 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a civic 2006 with navi system. I wanted to put in a cd when I realized that there was a cd stuck in there. When I tried to take it out. The cd player made some noises. I felt it alone and tried to close the gps screen and now it wont close- I cant change the radio station and if I manually close it and gives me the screen with the cups and red sign!!!!!!!!!!Help
  • lmh814lmh814 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into buying the 2012 Civic Hybrid... Curious what others think of the navigation system? Are there any big issues/bugs with it? How does it compare to systems in other comparable hybrid vehicles? Thanks!
  • fishhawk_iifishhawk_ii Member Posts: 3
    I just sold my 2006 HCH with nav. Very disappointed in the factory-installed nav system and the total lack of support from Honda. Funtionality was very good WHILE IT WAS WORKING PROPERLY. After about 3 years, however, the toggle switch stopped working. This prevented me from being able to pan around a map and select destinations using this feature. I asked my service manager about repair and he said the only choice was to purchase a new unit for $4,000! Rediculous response from Honda. Instead, I bought a Garmin for $200 with much better features and lifetime upgrades for another $80. Honda wants $160 for an upgrade disk. The broken feature resulted in a devaluation of the sale price when I finally sold this car. In addition, the continually variable transmission has a well documented problem with "shutter" when starting from a dead stop and the dealer estimated $2000 minimum to correct this problem. Honda was also very dishonest about a well known rear wheel alignment problem due to parts being manufactured incorrectly that resulted in premature tire wear. Honda is no longer the quality company it once was. I recommend avoiding Honda altogether.
  • 2_honda_owner2_honda_owner Member Posts: 3

I too experienced the Toggle (Joystick) failure. I removed the Navigation unit and opened the display housing. On the inside bezel of the display I found 2 small circuit boards. I removed the small circuit board containing the joystick and found that all 6 solder connections were fractured due to the fact that the mounting bracket tabs that go through the circuit board were never soldered. The joystick is a surface mount device, and by not soldering the mounting tabs on the other side of the circuit board, will allow the solder joints to flex and eventually fail. Even though all 6 solder connections had fractured, I was still able to move left, down and select. Even though this is a surface mount device, the connections were easy to re-solder. After re-soldering the connections turn the board over and solder the mounting tabs. After the repair, the joystick worked great, more responsive than ever!

Although this was not difficult to repair, it will require a great deal of care and a good mechanical aptitude, I can not stress this enough!

Removing the bezel from the navigation display was not that difficult, however when replacing it DO NOT SNAP IT IN UNTIL YOU GET THE CLOSE BUTTON [non-permissible content removed] POSITIONED AGAINST THE FRONT OF THE CLOSE SWITCH, or you will shear the plastic close switch actuator off of the switch causing permanent damage!!! I know this first hand. Fortunately I found a replacement at Mouser, Part# 101-TS4722R2200-EV. The dimensions are exactly the same and it looks exactly like the original switch. The only difference is that the new switch doesn’t have the two alignment bosses on the bottom, so You will have to position it manually.

• 2_honda_owner2_honda_owner Member Posts: 3

In my previous post I used a word that is used to describe a part of a woman's anatomy. Unfortunately it resulted with the following:

"DO NOT SNAP IT IN UNTIL YOU GET THE CLOSE BUTTON [non-permissible content removed] POSITIONED AGAINST THE FRONT OF THE CLOSE SWITCH"

So I have revised it as follows:

DO NOT SNAP IT IN UNTIL YOU GET THE CLOSE BUTTON BUMP POSITIONED AGAINST THE FRONT OF THE CLOSE SWITCH

I like my original version better!

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Yea, those words with multiple meanings can be tricky :)

More important, thanks for the info about the fix! Always great to hear about DIY fixes. Good job!

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Always nice to have a step by step with pictures! And THANKS for not making that into a loooooong post and tucking it into a pdf B)