Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Sorry guys, didn't mean to leave you hanging. Anyway, checked it on the way back from town (went back onto the logging road) and it performed flawlessly, went in and out with no hesitation.

I'm thinking that because I tried to put it in the other day before knowing what I was doing I did something to goof it up and all it took was shutting the truck off to reset whatever I did to it. So, unless it does it again I'm chalking it up to a blonde moment on my part goofing the truck up.

On another note........the truck is going in next Tuesday for an alignment....I looked at the tires 2 weeks ago and about had a heart attack. I am running Blizzak DMZ3 snow tires on it.......read.....expensive, and its worn the inside badly on all 4 tires after only 6k miles (have 7500 miles on the tires now). I'm less than thrilled, but I suppose its my fault for not watching it and for not paying attention when it started pulling to the right.

Other than that its been a pretty good little truck, turned 8900 miles today.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Wow! Just turned in my 02 with 32,000 miles on it and the tires still looked like new! I've never had to align any explorer, even after having my son take my 94 over a fire hydrant and 2 curbs, blowing both front tires! Wonder why yours slipped out?
    Might just be the roads up here, but normally with new cars I have pretty good luck and don't need to align them. I'm a little miffed at this one, especially since it ruined a $650 set of snow tires. Truck only has 8900 miles on it and with wintertime the roads are pretty good, I can't imagine why its out of alignment. I haven't been doing anything harsh with it, any backroads I go down are snow covered and they are pretty smooth.
    Makes you wonder if it was right from the factory. You say it recently started pulling to the right? My previous Navigator did that, but not until it hit 50,000 miles or so.
    It probably has always done that and I didn't notice, the front end on my 97 was gone when I got rid of it, so it drove horrible. Only reason I noticed the pull recently is because I was trying to open a bottle of soda and took my other hand off the wheel......truck went right immediatly. Got me looking at it, then I noticed the tires......grrrrr.
    Do a front to rear rotation - the pull will likely go away, but I'd still have it checked, or you'll finish the snow tires before winter is over.
    I don't think its a tire issue since I have the tire pressure monitoring system and its very touch about tire pressure and all. I think its an alignment issue, especially with the wear on all 4 tires......grrrr.
    All 4 huh...... The bad news, Akangl, is they can't align it with severely worn tires..... Start Bawling now!
    They aren't toooooo horribly bad, but definate inside wear on them. I may be talking to Ford about some new winter tires, they don't get like that over night, so I'd say the truck has been this way from the get go, the winter tires have been on it since about 1100 miles. I can't afford new tires for it right now, I have the summer tires (OEM Michelins) but the roads are too slick for those at the moment.
    I'd give it a go, they may be reasonable about it. My dealer is. No reason the truck should be that screwed up this soon.
    I tend to agree, will find out Tuesday. Have a pretty good relationship with this dealer for the most part.
  • daryll40daryll40 Member Posts: 44
    I read on another forum about some rear-end noise on the current bodystyle Explorer/Mountaineer. What is this all about?

Daryll40, '03 Mountaineer Premier, 22,000 miles
  • mseenviromseenviro Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2002 Explorer XLT 4x4 with the V-8. I purchased it used in July 2003. Since then it has been in the shop 8 times, three times (and about to be 4) for the ABS light coming on. What the dealer does each time is replace the "Speed Sensor" and the light goes out. After anywhere from 3000 to 10000 miles, it comes back on and they do the same thing.

I'm thinking they are treating the problem, not the cause. Any one have this problem or know what should be done here?

I'm getting real sick of this.

Thanks,

Mike
    If yours isn't doing it by now, it's not likely to. Most of the affected cars are the Aviators, due to the 305 hp output of the Lincoln engine, the Differentials have not held up as expected, and the clutch packs start making an annoying howling noise intermittantly. It is exacerbated by heat, so in hot weather, it's much more prevelant. Some Mountaineers have reported it, but very few.

Go to the Aviator site and scroll back quite a bit, and you find more stuff about it.

Ford has now identified the problem, and ordered new differentials made that should hold up better from the subcontractor, and is getting ready now to replace all those that exhibit the problem. Don't have the TSB number yet, but somebody may.

Does yours do it? My 02 Mountaineer never did. I just replaced it with an 04 Mountaineer Premier.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    I have a sneaking suspicion it's right front or right rear. curb-bumping kills 'em.
  • mseenviromseenviro Member Posts: 64
    Not sure which wheel it is, but it is a rear. Considering it has happened four times I doubt it is curb bumping. The service rep told me that Ford has had a bad batch of these sensors and they are replacing them for free until the bad batch is gone. He said they did not know which lot number the bad batch was, but apparently I got three of them.

We'll see.....anyone else have this problem?
  • cmartin411cmartin411 Member Posts: 42
    I'm on my fourth ABS sensor,and the light came on again last week. I have 57,000 on my '03 XLT. See post #2127.
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    Anyone know why this Explorer XLT 2004(loaded), does not have Tire Pressure Monitoring? Window sticker shows delivery 2/9/2004.
    Ford Online & Edmunds show this item for 2004.
    Reg. Frank R.
    Hmmm, good question, I thought all 2004s had it. I bought my 2004 Explorer XLS Sport 1/6/04 and it has it. Manufacture date is Oct 2003 I believe.
    Anyone know why this Explorer XLT 2004(loaded), does not have Tire Pressure Monitoring? Window sticker shows delivery 2/9/2004.
    Ford Online & Edmunds show this item for 2004.
    Reg. Frank R.
    a plainer car and steel wheels may well be easier to fit with sensors than a cast wheel. I remember some moaning and groaning from the car and wheel makers at the time this was ordered by law in 2000, saying about exactly that.
    My 2004 XLS Sport has the same alloy wheels as an XLT, it most certainly does not have steel wheels. It does have the tire pressure monitoring system, its in the valve stem.
    On the window sticker, 2004 XLT shipped 02 09 2004. Door jam shows vehicle was made a few days before. 16" Alloy Rims Standard Equipment does not list the Tire Sensors neither does the list of Optional Equipment. When, I swtich on the ignition, there is no sensor warning lite.
    From the Ford site, above-XLS with alloy rims, FOC Tire Sensors.
    Reg. Frank R.
  • laungst68laungst68 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Ford Explorer XLT. This morning I went to back out my driveway and it would not go. It would not go in drive either only low (2). Once I was driving the o/d light started flashing but I was able to put it in drive. I still have no reverse though. Any ideas??
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    my MM has 2,300 miles on it. 700 miles ago it has developed some rattle from the center of console, could be on firewall. It sounds like some wire fastener fell out from the place where it was sitting and now is hitting something, when the car shivers from the working engine etc. Did anybody have experience with this problem? My dealer is scratching back of his head...
    Ideas? Yep. your transmission is failing, if it hasn't stopped working altogether already. Better get it to a shop pronto, or you'll be towing it.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Ok, well I'll give this another go. There is something always refreshing about getting a "Microsoft Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" message, just as you are about to finish a lengthy post >:-( God Bless ya Bill Gates ;-)

My wife's 2000 Explorer has been performing very well and is nearing 62,000 miles. However, her vehicle was originally sent to Canada for use there, so DRL's had to be installed per Canadian Law. After its 2 year lease was up, it was sent back to Michigan, where we purchased it in 2002. Now, since about October of last year, the DRL's have been flickering. It looks as though they are operating at about 70% and just flickering, but since in States, it is not required by law to have DRL's, I thought of no reason to spend the money to have them fixed. However, the wife is getting tired of people telling her that something is wrong with her trucks headlights, so now she wants me to get them either turned off or fixed. So after I said my "yes dears" I went out to the Explorer and flipped through the pages of the owners manual trying to find a fuse to pull. Sure enough I found 3 that had DRL listed in their descriptions, only one had DRL by itself with its own fuse. So I pulled that fuse and sure enough, the DRL's turned off. Great right? Naw, after I did that, the brights wouldn't work. So I put the fuse back in, and am stuck. I have a chiltons manual which shows me the wiring diagram for the DRL's, but its hard to follow. Incidentally, I have seen this same condition on one other Explorer in town, which leads me to believe that this may have been a bigger issue in Canada with Explorers? Anyway, other than the dealer, I have no idea where to go next. If any of you have any ideas, please feel free to share! Thanks in advance!

laungst-
    While what NVbanker said about your transmission could very well be true, you may only have a bad valve body seal. There were a batch of 5-speed autos that went out with improperly torqued transmission valve body bolts. If the seal blows out, you will either have rough shifts, no shifts, or total loss of function. Just a possibility. But get that thing into a pro lickity split!
    in the exploder, so you're on the right track. there has to be some sort of a service plug that takes the DRL module out of the equation for US use, I would think. call the parts desk and ask 'em. otherwise, you're probably looking at a DRL module, if they have a reference for one.

or, if you are creative, you could fake one by identifying which wires go in/out of there to the bright filaments, and putting a jumper across them in the module itself. if you need more details other than a wiring diagram, this tip is not for you.

PS -- if this was originally sent to canada, and you have it here, sounds like a "grey market" truck. I'd call another dealer about the parts, not your regular guy, in hopes you don't get your ownership record flagged in the computer. grey market stuff is not generally supported by the US system because it's "contraband." the fact that they got ripped some thousands of dollars over the reimportation has nothing to do with it, just ask the drug companies :-D

even if you legitimately bought in hoserland, eh, and moved down here to the states, you could get boxed on the issue.

one of the regular canadian posters like alcan might have other insights. I don't have my wiring manual here to look at it.
    The truck was purchased at a dealers auction in Flint, Mi. So I'm not worried about it being any color other than it is, black ;-) Thanks for the imput tho. BTW, my Expedition was also originally from Canada (purchased from same auction), and it to has DRL's though I haven't had any problems with them, knock on wood.
  • jokawajokawa Member Posts: 5
    For the last few weeks, I have noticed eratic oil pressure readings from factory oil pressure guage in instrument cluster. I'll be driving at various speeds and the oil pressure guage will go from normal( Midrange of gauge) to almost no pressure, and back again, with no common denominator. I do not get an "engine" warning light at all. It happens when cold, warm, hot,idling etc. I can drive for 10-15 minutes or longer with no problem and then "bang", there it goes again. I have changed oil, checked level, checked and cleaned connection at pressure sender unit to no avail. I have traced wiring to point where it goes into main harness and gets lost between intake manifold and block.
    Before I pull instrument cluster and check connections there or randomly change sender unit,or " God Forbid" the oil pump, I would like to know if anyone here has had same problem, and if so,what the findings were.
    I use this vehicle for long trips, but I no longer have confidence in it and am using my other vehicle for those trips.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    More help here too:

Got a Quick, Technical Question?

Steve, Host
    The culprit is mostly likely your oil pressure sender unit (located on the block), getting clogged with oil sludge (no big deal). They are cheap, and not to hard to replace. Oil pumps, rarely fail-very rarely. Goodluck!

On my issue with the fluctuating headlights (DRLS) I went to the dealer today, and the service manager printed me off a copy of where the module ($65 to replace) was. Went home and disconnected it. Simple as that! Thanks again Swschrad for your imput. Take care buddy.
  • jokawajokawa Member Posts: 5
    To jrc346.
    Since posting, I have checked price of sender unit. $20.96 at Ford; $10.95 at NAPA. I'ld be a fool not to try that first.Will change sender unit after coming back from FLA. Thanks for the tip
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Okay guys, I have yet another problem plaguing the orange '99 xls. On my last tank of gas, 87 octane regular from Citgo, I got 12 miles per gallon. That included a little 'round town driving, but mostly interstate, 65-75 mph driving. It usually gets anywhere from 17-21. I've also noticed a slight loss in power. Any suggestions? I should also note that I filled up the first and this past time from the same gas station. It was along my trip route, and was $1.589 versus $1.639 here at home.
  • opera_house_wkopera_house_wk Member Posts: 326
    You probably have a V6 with the 5R55E transmission. These are known to blow out the valve body gaskets. The low/reverse servo as the name implies is used in first and reverse. The cover on the servo also blows out. This most likely is the result of loose bolts that seem to be a real problem with this model transmission. Ford will fix this for about $800 installing a rebuilt valve body (doesn't anyone know how to fix things anymore) or you can do it yourself for about $50.
    fords have a cruel trick. it LOOKS like an oil gauge. but there is a pull-up resistor in the dash. the oil pressure sender is only an on/off switch, somewhere between 6 and 8 PSI it closes, and voila! -- you have oil pressure halfway on the gauge.

not sure, but on my 90 ranger, I think it was a 1-1/16 inch deep 6 or 12 point socket that I used to change that bugger out. the sender on the 5 liter V8s is right next to the oil pan lip and allegedly blocked by suspension stuff, so when mine turned out to be sticky from the factory, warranty paid for hoisting the engine until they could get to the oil sender.

the ford part even has the sealer putty applied to the threads. I have had oil senders go awry on many vehicles, never hesitate to replace one if you suspect leaks in that area or the oil pressure seems "iffy" on a car.
  • mikem1mikem1 Member Posts: 12
    I've had my '04' 4x4 XLS for about amonth now and have been happy with it, save two items , fuel mileage and 1-2 shift in the auto tranny.

Admitteedly the engine is green, 1100 miles but my highway mileage is disappointed-- around 16. I traded a '98' XLT withthe same drivetrain and got 19-20 mpg consistantly. What should i expect on the highway when this is broken in?

1-2 tranny shift: with light throttle, the 1-2 and 2-3 shift seems to hesitate. Not terrible, but noticable; something the '98' did not do. Anybody else have this occur?

BTW, this SUV is great improvement over the 98; the ride and interior are greatly improved.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    How often should you change your tranmission fluid& filter? Maintenence manual says every 30K.

Also, how often do you change the fuel filter on your Explorer?

I bought a used 2001 XLT AWD V8 Explorer.

Currently have a 5-speed manual Toyota Paseo which has the original tranny fluid for it's entire life and the fuel filter which isn't a filter but valve and not recommended to need changing. Thanks

Leo
    Transmission fluid, and filter should be changed in all previous generation Explorers every 30,000 miles. The fuel filter should be done at the same time (@ 30,000). To prevent damage and clogging of the fuel injectors, most modern day fuel systems include a paper media filter to catch debris and need to be changed, because they will clog and cause numerous problems. Such as decreased fuel efficiency, rough engine operation, hesitation, and most commonly, fuel pump failure.

Another handy tip for those interested, is not to ever fill up your vehicle while you see a tanker at the gas station filling the large underground tanks. While these trucks are filling these tanks, all kinds of sediment gets stirred up inside, and can end up in your gas tank. Also to extend the life of your fuel pump, don't let the gas level go below 1/4 of a tank, as the gas is used to keep the fuel pump cool.
    not only do you keep the fuel pump from overheating, you keep running. the pre-2002 explorers have tank anti-slosh baffles that curiously can hold fuel away from the pump inlet. if you make a left turn from a stop, and don't do it like granny with her arthritis kicking up, a quarter-tank level or less will cause you to stall out.

had a coworker ready to trade because of this, convinced her truck was going south fast. I set her straight on this issue, and she was happy with it for the next 40,000.
    jrc346 & swschrad,

Thank you for the replies. I will get both of those change at my next oil change.

Regards,

Leo
    You betcha! Glad I could be of some help :-D
    Could this also be the reason I'm getting such sucky mileage? I usually go until the idiot light comes on, and the needle is on the E. When I fill up, it usually takes 20-21 gallons. Once upon a time, not long after I got the vehicle, I got over 400 miles out of a tank. Now I'm lucky if I even get to 300.
    Very well could be, but a fuel line pressure test should be done first. Throughing parts at a vehicle is an expensive stab in the dark. Running your truck so low on gas is defiently a no-no, because not only does your fuel pump warm up, but it also starts to suck up any sediments in the bottom of your gas tank. There is a pre-filter attached to your fuel pump that will catch most of these sediments, however, the build-up will further restrict flow and will make your fuel pump even warmer (which will ultimately cause failure). It sounds like before, with getting 400 miles to a tank, you were about right on. Thats identical to what my wifes Explorer gets.

On another note, I was actually thinking about your situation with the power steering top coming off while I was flushing the Explorers PS fluid this past weekend (very dirty at 62,000). I remember a friend having the same thing happen, though only once. Reason it happend, was because the PS fluid reservoir was over-filled a litte bit. So maybe that was all?

Anyway, take your truck down to your trusted Mechanics and have them do a fuel line pressure test. That will tell you if everything is working well with that, if that is what you suspect. It isn't a bad idea to change your fuel filter while your at it:] Goodluck, keep us up to date if time permits ;-)
    Horrible mileage, I'm about ready to turn my Explorer into a Focus. Not really, but it sounds good.

I'm getting about 16.5 mpg hwy, my 97 V8/AWD Explorer would easily get 19-20 mpg hwy. Heck, our Ram V10 gets 13.2 mpg hwy. I'm none too thrilled with my 2004 Explorer V6/4WD.

Maybe it will get better as the miles increase, sitting at 9,850 miles right now.
    Uh oh, we aren't loosing you are we? Hehe. The better mileage my wife gets can probably be attributable to a few things. First, the winter formulation of gas in Michigan takes a decent bite out of its gas mileage (21.5 summer 18.6 winter). She also drives like grandma at speeds of about 65Mph on the expressway, and the Explorer also has the (3.75:1?) rear axle. I only use fully synthetic oil in it, which actually seems to work really well (+1 MPG). Lastly, the new generation Explorer's weigh more than the previous ones, which cuts down on mileage and performance. Any luck with the winter tire issue? Take Care :)

BTW: It's a 2000 Limited 4X4 4.0L SOHC V6.
    Yeah, the mechanics determined the issue with the power steering was cause by turning the wheels with the engine off. They said they had several do the same thing when they had to push the car in or out of the garage due to a problem that prevented them from starting it. Doing so would cause the cap to pop off and fluid to spew everywhere. Since that happened, it took a few days for the steering to get back to normal but no problems with the steering since. Brakes are doing great too, put Bendix Titanium on. Plenty of stopping power now. I was also told that by putting the flowmaster muffler on, it may compromise my mileage, due to a back pressure issue? That make any sense? if it does I guess I'll just have to live with it until gas hits 3.00 a gallon, then I'll have to take it back and have the old one put back on haha.

By the way, what is involved in doing the fuel line pressure test, and how much does it run?
    I'm just a little irritated at my Explorer, does it really *have* to drink sooo much gas??

Had the winter tires taken off today, tire shop said they look fine except the rears have some wear in the middle.....I didn't have the rotated at all, so its my bad. Put the OEM tires back on the truck, sure does handle a lot better.

Checked the gas mileage today.....a dismal 16.5 mpg hwy....our V10 did 13.2 yesterday, same road.

Then again, my truck has a 3.73 rear axle ratio and our V10 has a 3.55, I'm sure that makes up some of the difference.

Ah well, gotta pay to play I guess, I do adore my Explorer. Will turn 10k miles this week.....I bought it January 6, 2004. YEOWCH......I drive too much.
    I'm coming from a '94 Toyota Paseo 5-spd w/ 221K+ miles which is dying. Last year I bought an '01 Explorer XLT V8 AWD. I know that an explorer isn't going to be as cheap in maintenence cost, gas,etc. as an ecno car. But is it reasonable to expect to get an Explorer to 150K miles without too much mechanical troulbe (aside from routine maintenence)?

Leo
    the 6-bangers have had a little issue with camshaft blocks, and the series-4 transmissions bolted to them are a little light for towing, but overall explorers of the 99/00/01 vintage seem to be pretty solid vehicles. I've only got 55K on mine, V8 and AWD, but nothing major at all. have had to do front brakes, a battery, and changed out the fan belt for a gates to get rid of moist-weather squeal,but that's about it. that's all normal maintenance stuff

the backup safety detector is currently out of combat, and has me a little confused, but that's something I can live without easily if I can't puzzle the pig out. have not put the scanner on the port yet to see if the thing set a code, that's next when I get a chance.