Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    CS is about the best most seasoned statistical survey around, and they get enough samples to be close enough.

Without getting too far off track, did you know that Consumer Reports only surveys it's subscribers for vehicle reliability?

It is a critical, unacceptable flaw in their method of sampling.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    moparbad,

Why are CR surveys flawed? I have been a subscriber for over 30 years and have bought
    most of my vehicles based on their surveys.

I purchased 9 vehicles based on their surveys
    and everyone of them turned out to be trouble free just as their survey suggested.

Maybe I should say that the last vehicle has
    been trouble free for the 19 months I have had it. That is really not enough time to say that it will be as trouble free as the other 8.

The rest of the vehicles were owned for from 5 to 24 years.

I feel very comfortable taking their recommen-
    dations. From my experience they have been dead on in accuracy.

OkieScot
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Why are CR surveys flawed? I have been a subscriber for over 30 years and have bought
    most of my vehicles based on their surveys

I agree with you!

In my opinion... Subscribers to CR tend to actually be concerned about the reliability of various products.

They are used to reading the reports and are possibly better able to take an unbiased survey without emotion. :shades:

Kip
    most of my vehicles based on their surveys

Vehicle owners in the general poplulation do not have an equal chance of being represented in the data. CR limits the population of the sample to subscribers. The data set is biased and pre-determined to the demograpics of subscribers of CR.
    The problem is not the survey, the problem is who is surveyed.
    Anyone know if Ford will still offer the Ranger next year?
    I believe the St. Paul plant is scheduled to close this calendar year.
    Vehicle owners in the general population do not have an equal chance of being represented in the data. CR limits the population of the sample to subscribers.

That is my point.

CR has quite a few subscribers. They are people that like to know which particular product in a particular segment works best. They are the best people in the world to ask questions of.

If you sent out 10K Surveys at random to the general population you will get back a very small percentage. Send it out to people who are "IN TO" wanting the best bang for the buck and you will most likely get back a higher percentage of the surveys and most likely the people are a bit better informed as to what they are doing.

A prime example of informed and uninformed is this:

We had a 95 Maxima. I took it if for one of those services where they rotate the tires align the front end and so forth. All went well, but when I got home there was a phone mail asking me to call the Nissan service dept. They told me that the tech that did my car had discovered that his Tool for torquing the wheel lugs was set wrong , could I please bring it back so he could check the lugs. I did and the tech re torqued the lugs. Another time a tech somehow broke the oxygen sensor on the same car.

If my wife had taken a survey she would have said we had 2 things go wrong with the car. I knew the problems were caused by the people working on it. So I would have said that nothing had gone wrong. I was thankful that they caught the problems and fixed them.

The data set is biased and per-determined to the demographics of subscribers of CR.

I don't see how the surveys are biased.

If a question was asked, "Don't you think the transmission is more troublesome in Explorers than in Hondas"? that would be biased.

When it says "Have you had problems with the any of the components of the drive train?" and the transmission is one of the choices; How is that biased?

How do demographics fit into the equation? :)

Kip
    How do demographics fit into the equation?

Kip

That is a basic concept, that if I remember correctly, was explained in "Elementary Statistics" and was covered in depth in "Linear Models and Experimental Design" which were both 200 level classes.
    If you say so!

Just doesn't change my mind! ;)

Kip
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Although someone has pointed out that the CR survey is not perfect, it is still the one of the most useful surveys of reliability out there. They have refined some of their methods to minimize some of its weaknesses.

I don't think there is anything that "wildly" skews the results(much less demographics for instance) , just due to the nature of the topic and simplicity of the survey. There are weakness in their methodology for sure, as in all surveys, (limiting to their subscribers to keep costs down etc, ) but no deal killers. (Ie. asking all white voters what they think of AL Sharpton)

Demographics for a Democrat or Republican? Yow! For pure opinion polls its all demographics

Demographics for "did you have any transmission repairs for your Cadillac?" still there... (older buyers tend to be less (more?) picky etc I think CR tries to take this into account too) but with 310000 readers (responses?) and enough samples to reduce the variance of the result per vehicle (note that some are not rated, with not enough responses to the survey) you still have one of the more useful tools out there.

CR (weren't they the first to do this? in the early 70's?) may be one of the reasons that the # of defects between the best and the worst has been shrinking for the last decade or so. Ironically if anything it is this that may be making the survey less meaningful.

It was one of the first resources one could go for for perspective, with data from thousands (not the futile, ask your neighbor and folks at gas stations how they like their car) long before the www was even dreamed of.

There's nothing that skews the data in CR enough to make it useless or even limited usefulness. To point out that it isn't perfect isn't meaningful.

Happy Hunting

--jjf
    Moparbad,

I fail to see what you are talking about with the demographics. Judging from the variety of vehicles that are surveyed it looks like there are people who drive just about all of the cars
    made to allow CR to include them.

I know quite a few people who are CR subscri-
    bers and believe me most of them could not be grouped in any particular fashion. Most of my friends have more money than I do and buy nicer cars more often than I can.

Most of us do not have the same hobbies, care for the same sort of recreation, etc. So I do not see us as all being in the same demographic
    category.

I have purchased not only vehicles recommended
    by CR, but also many appliances and electron-
    ics. I have seldom ever purchased anything they recommended that did not turn out to be satisfactory.

Granted the surveys are taken from subscrib-
    ers but then as a subscriber it suits me just fine. You can purchase CR without being a subscriber, but it looks like if you buy it then that would put you in the same category as
    the subscriber because of your interest.

I still fail to see a problem.

OkieScot
    I still fail to see a problem.

OkieScot

Unfortunately :( , the vast majority of the population does not have the specific background that makes the problem immediately apparent.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Anybody have any opinion on the revised engines going into the Colorado/Canyon (2.9L I-4, 3.7L I-5)?

I didn't mean to start a debate on magazines.
    It is a mediocre truck paired with a poor (I4) or mediocre (i5) engine. I had a friend who had an offer of 21600 on a ridgeline 4wd RT. I told him he would be insane to buy a Colorado at a higher price.

A test drive vs Tacoma, Frontier or RL will show that quickly. The fact that they are competitively priced makes a bad situation worse. Reviews in Consumer reports, Edmunds, etc will tend to reinforce this. I agree with the previous post that it fails to keep up with the Silverado in quality or sturdiness. That said its probably outselling each of the others by 2-5:1. Its getting by on its good looks. (I like the exterior styling the best of them all.. Once again GMs sheet metal comes to the rescue)

I haven't driven the I4 model but after driving the I5 I fear it.

--jjf

Anybody have any opinion on the revised engines going into the Colorado/Canyon (2.9L I-4, 3.7L I-5)?
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    Good catch [thegraduate] with gas requirements for the Frontier.
    Of all these trucks posted I can't decide which is the 'least a truck' the Honda Ridgeline or the GMC Colorado/Canyon..... :D
    I found it interesting almost humorous that when GM came out their '07 full size trucks that they kept the 4.3 rather than use the much tooted I5. GM said the I5 was a much better engine than the 4.3......so they though... :confuse:
    I use to get 18-19 city and 23mpg highway(65-70mph)with my '95 GMC Sonoma 4x4 5sp. I fail to see that the I5 betters this.
    And now to add insult to injury GM no longer offers the 5sp with the I5...... :confuse: :sick:
    The I5 is NOT a truck engine just like the VTEC is not a truck engine. Truck engines should not be high reving to get high torque to the wheels 'if' you want a truck for what a truck was initially designed and built for.
    But if you read about what what one of the popular magazines said why they choose it as 'Truck of the Year' was that Honda wanted to redefine what a truck is. That's ok if this is what you want.
    I got grief from the guys in my hood for buying my Nissan Frontier. They called it a 'grocery getter'. I replied with two statements. The first was, 'I'll drive/buy what ever you want me to, just make the payments...... :D
    And now that gas has been hitting the $3/gal when do you want me to drive you to take you to buy your groceries because your 'full size' GMC is getting too expensive to drive.... :D :surprise:
    The I5 is NOT a truck engine just like the VTEC is not a truck engine.

I'll agree that the VTEC Ridgeline isn't a truck engine; it (the original 3.5)was designed for the Acura RL sedan back in the 90s, and made its bigger debut in the 1999 Odyssey, where it produced 210 hp and 229 lb-ft of torque.

The GM 3.5L I-5 and 2.8L I-4 were supposedly the 4.2L I-6 from the Trailblazer/Envoy twins, with a cylinder lopped off.

I think a couple of people missed it when I mentioned the increased engine size of the Canyon/Colorado.

Old figures were 2.8L I-4 w/175hp, 185 lb-ft@ 2800RPM, 3.5L I-5 w/220hp @5600RPM, 225 lb-ft @2800 RPM.

From the GM site:

Engine: Vortec 2.9L DOHC I-4 engine with 185 hp and 190 lb.-ft. of torque (Standard on 1WT, LS, Regular and Extended Cab 1LT and 2WD Crew Cab 1LT models)
    The Vortec 2.9L DOHC four-cylinder engine delivers 185 hp at 5600 rpm and 190 lb.-ft. of torque at 2800 rpm.

Engine: Vortec 3.7L DOHC I-5 with 242 hp and 242 lb.-ft. of torque (Standard on 2LT and 3LT models; optional on 1WT and 1LT models)
    The Vortec 3.7L DOHC I-5 engine delivers 242 hp at 5600 rpm and 242 lb.-ft. of torque at 4600 rpm.

From the Honda site, you can see that the power peaks are similar on the larger engine GM and the Honda:

Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net, Rev 8/04) 247 @ 5750

Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) 245 @ 4500

I could not find EPA numbers on the revised GM engines, though I did try.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Minor correction.

"I'll agree that the VTEC Ridgeline isn't a truck engine; it (the original 3.5)was designed for the Acura RL sedan back in the 90s, and made its bigger debut in the 1999 Odyssey, where it produced 210 hp and 229 lb-ft of torque."

The original 3.5L engine used by the Acura 3.5RL in the 1990's is not the same J35 engine used in the Ody, Pilot, Ridgeline, MDX, and the new RL. That first 3.5L unit is based on a very old racing engine.

The J35 used first in the Ody is an enlarged version of the 3.0L and 3.2L engines used in the Accord and Acura TL.
    Thanks for the correction... I should've figured that out, considering how long the 3.5 was in use before it came to the Odyssey. Oh well. :)

Point still stands, I guess; the Ridgeline engine is a van/crossover engine; moreso than a true "truck" engine. It's still more than sufficient at hauling and accelerating.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "Point still stands, I guess; the Ridgeline engine is a van/crossover engine; moreso than a true "truck" engine. It's still more than sufficient at hauling and accelerating."

That makes the whole truck vs non-truck distinction a little pointless, don't you think?
    Yep. We got past it with SUVs:Crossovers (like Pacifica, Car-Based Utes (RAV4 and Murano), why can't we with pickups?
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    Uuuh, the highly regarded VQ40 in the Frontier is basically a stroked Maxima/Altima engine (VQ35).
    I guess that makes the Frontier not a truck.
    :-)
    I have a frontier, by the way. The engine is dandy.
    The Sport-Trac uses a 4.6L 292hp based on that engine in the Mustang, I believe... looks like I just eliminated another truck.
    There are several midsize trucks to choose from, Frontier and Taccoma are the best.

MarketWatch Tacoma and Frontier
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    Looks like Market Watch likes Tacoma more than Fronty as well.
    I wonder if it's because they are so afraid to choose a something other than the Tacoma for fear of getting ripped by the majority and or their boss that they are just playing a 'safe choice' :)
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I see the so called finishing of the Frontier every bit as good as the Tacoma. I like both trucks, though I'd go with the Frontier in a pinch.
    Colorado improved for 2007

It (Colorado) still lags behind what is probably the best small truck, the Nissan Frontier, but not as far back as before.

Frontier and Tacoma are still the best.
    The Sport-Trac uses a 4.6L 292hp based on that engine in the Mustang, I believe... looks like I just eliminated another truck.

I believe you did! :)

If we went a bit farther and eliminated everything that looks like a truck but uses or used a car engine, there would be very few trucks left.

Let's see now. The ever popular Ford full size Pickup with the 300 Cubic Inch inline 6 would be a truck, but the ones with the small block V8 would not actually be a truck. :confuse:

Same with the rest that share(ed) car engines with truck models, pretty much across the board. :sick:
    The Colorado is abysmal in quality and finish. However several mags rated it better in 4wd performance than the Toyota and Frontier. I'm going to by a Ridgeline like my brother.

The quality is better than the Frontier, equal to the Toyota, blows away the Colorado, and has a ride like no other. Despite being bigger and wider the turning radius is smaller than both the Fronty and Colorado.

Was torn between the Frontier, and then the Tacoma, but after 2 weeks with the RL couldn't get myself to do it as deals were comparable. The Awd capability will be adequate for about 90% of buyers.

I think the best small truck is the Ridgeline. Its bigger, drives like a smaller vehicle, ride and quality is great and the trunk is neat.

My real 4wd vehicle is 12 years old and with suitable modifications and the obligatory dents and primer spots.

Those of you with the stock 4wds new out of the box and $30000 in payments thinking you are doing real off roading are kidding yourselves.... or have money to burn. The real macoy would produce at least $5000 in body damage the 1st year.

Love the Colorado's styling, but would have to get $9000 off list to make it worthwhile. The concept of the i4 4cylinder in a 4000 lb double cab configuration is also a bad joke.

Happy Hunting

--jjf

It (Colorado) still lags behind what is probably the best small truck, the Nissan Frontier, but not as far back as before.

Frontier and Tacoma are still the best.
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    No! I would go with either the Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier. Why in the world would by a pickup like that. It's not even a pickup, it's more of a SUV. Have seen the size of that things bed, it's puny. The 2007 Tacoma and Frontier Extended Cabs come with 6 foot beds, and if you want a Crew Cab with alot of stroage space for either one you can get the Crew Cab Longbed. The Tacoma and Frontier both get better gas mileage that the Ridgeline. Both trucks also have some kind of cargo bed system for thier beds, and both truck are partime 4WD. One more reason is that the Tacoma and Frontier can both tow upto 6500 pounds, while the Ridgeline can only tow 5000 pounds.

Anymore details my friend? Believe me I've driven all the trucks and the Tacoma and Frontier are clearly better, by a longshot!
    Anymore details my friend? Believe me I've driven all the trucks and the Tacoma and Frontier are clearly better, by a longshot!

Ya know, it IS ok for some people to choose a vehicle for things like better driving dynamics and a more comfortable interior. It doesn't make them wrong. Shoot, I'd pick the Ridgeline for its clever 8+ cu. ft. lockable in-bed trunk and smart tailgate design. Something nobody else in the class offers. I travel to the beach often, an along with the normal two or three passengers, we usually have a couple of laptops. The Ridgeline is the only vehicle you could carry the laptops outside of the cabin and be sure that they are safe from water/theft. That's worth a lot to a lot of people.
    :) Good post!

Each has it's pros and cons. Where the Tacoma or Frontier May have a bit longer bed with the double cab configuration, they do not have the interior room, plushness, or ride of the Ridgeline.

Add a sealable aftermarket bed trunk and the Toy and Fronty beds shrink quickly. Then try increasing the interiors. :cry:

Whats important to one person is totally unimportant to another.

Kip
  • kgrgunmankgrgunman Member Posts: 1
    honda has one huge problem with the ridgeline, the spare tire is in the 'bed trunk' i'm sure not too many ridgelines get used as trucks, but what do you do if you're driving with 10 sheets of plywood in your truck and you get a flat? pull over on the side of the freeway and unload everything from your bed just to change your tire then load everything back into your bed? god forbid you're carying a load of rocks of something like that, you'd have to get your truck towed because you can't change your tire.

the in bed trunk sounds good, unless you plan on using your truck as a truck.

i had this choice to make back in 2005 and i chose the 2005 Toyota Tacoma X-runner. i work out of my truck, installing window coverings, so i carry a ladder and many boxes every day, nothing at all heavy, but some long boxes and odd shapes. i have no need for 4wd (i have a '91 4wd pickup if i ever go offroad) the X-runner is the best handling truck on the market at any price. at the drag strip i've raced and beaten a 2005 nissan frontier extracab SE v6 manual by 0.5 sec in the 1/4mile (may or my not be the driver)some people like the composite bed and some don't, i love my bed, even if it was a $2,000 option i'd still get it over a metal bed. the tie down system is top notch, i've always got a place to tie down everything and the in bed storage that the tacoma has gives me a great place to put rope and bungees so i always have them handy. the in bed power outlet is nice, but not needed, the only time i use it is if i want to charge my drill battery while driving to a job.

the tacoma was and still is the best truck for me, when not working it's great to have a nimble and quick truck around town.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    My wife wanted a car ride, so I bought her a Lexus. It won't tow 6500 either, but does have a sealed trunk and gets much better mileage. My truck has a sealed canopy that holds a lot more stuff in a dry bed and can pull a trailer when I need to haul oversize stuff which is about 5 miles a month. Even though my truck has not gotten a dent in 25K, the low range does come in handy on a weekly basis pulling people out. AWD would do me good, but not the guy on the other end of the hook.
    The spare tire problem is by no means huge. When I hauled a piano I just took the spare out of the trunk. Forget 10 sheets of plywood.. (can only fit that many on boards above the wheelwells on your Taco, Colorado or Frontier?) Hauled 30 sheets of plywood that fit great. Honda gives you some help with the 300lb dynamic load rating on the tailgate (much more than the others), so the bed extender comes in handy too, along with the 6 tiedown points. Don't really need the track system for the tiedowns but the Frontier's looks more useful than the Taco's.

The Ridgeline's bed is the same length as the SB models of the others. Practically longer because of the heavier rating of the tailgate. Frontier introduced a 6ft bed for 07? great.

Yeah, if I were going to spend 26000 for a work truck, I would probably go with a Tacoma. But I won't spend 26000 on a work truck, as I drop cinder blocks 5 feet into the 12 year old Silverado, or the trailer I have for that sort of thing, or hauling dirty gravel. Maybe the delivery man gets a workout now and then.

RL will out turn all the small trucks except the Taco even being 5inches wider. I do understand, despite its odd looks, why they gave it Truck of the Year Award. Much more manueverable (and cheaper) than the Avalanche.

Maybe with the AWD I can pull some of the 2wd Taco's out of a snowdrift or something. Or maybe just call a towtruck for ya.

This is just silly to get defensive as owners of the king of the work trucks (the Silverado and F series) will claim all the Taco, Fronty, Colorado and Rl owners don't have "real" trucks anyway. And then why the Silverado owners are stupid not to have the F-250, or vice versa, ad nauseum.

--jjf

has one huge problem with the ridgeline, the spare tire is in the 'bed trunk' i'm sure not too many ridgelines get used as trucks, but what do you do if you're driving with 10 sheets of plywood in your truck and you get a flat? pull over on the side of the freeway and unload everything from your bed just to change your tire then load everything back into your bed? godhonda forbid you're carying a load of rocks of something like that, you'd have to get your truck towed because you can't change your tire.

the in bed trunk sounds good, unless you plan on using your truck as a truck.

i had this choice to make back in 2005 and i chose the 2005 Toyota Tacoma X-runner. i work out of my truck, installing window coverings, so i carry a ladder and many boxes every day, nothing at all heavy, but some long boxes and odd shapes. i have no need for 4wd (i have a '91 4wd pickup if i ever go offroad) the X-runner is the best handling truck on the market at any price. at the drag strip i've raced and beaten a 2005 nissan frontier extracab SE v6 manual by 0.5 sec in the 1/4mile (may or my not be the driver)some people like the composite bed and some don't, i love my bed, even if it was a $2,000 option i'd still get it over a metal bed. the tie down system is top notch, i've always got a place to tie down everything and the in bed storage that the tacoma has gives me a great place to put rope and bungees so i always have them handy. the in bed power outlet is nice, but not needed, the only time i use it is if i want to charge my drill battery while driving to a job.

the tacoma was and still is the best truck for me, when not working it's great to have a nimble and quick truck around town.
    Here are some stats for the 2007 Mid-Size truck segment.

2007 Ford Ranger 207 hp 230 lbs ft torque 3.4 L V6 4A

2007 Honda Ridgeline 247 hp 255 lbs ft torque 3.5 L V6 5A

2007 Dodge Dakota 230 hp 290 lbs ft torque 4.7 L V8 5A

2007 Nissan Frontier 261 hp 281 lbs feet torque 4.0 L V6
    5A

2007 Toyota Tacoma 236 hp 266 pounds feet torque 4.0 L V6 5A

Here are the tow ratings

Ranger 5000 pounds
    Ridgeline 5000 pounds
    Dakota 7000 pounds (if V8 engine equiped)
    Frontier 6500 (if V6 4x4 engine equiped)
    Tacoma 6500 (if V6 engine equiped)

thats all for now.
    * this artilce was typed fast so there may be a mistake
    The Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon I-5 has 242 hp and 242 lbs ft of torque 3.7L I-5 4A

It can only tow 4,000 pounds - weakest in the class.
    Thanks for the info. I must have missed the Colorado/Canyon
    GM could have taken the frame from their full size truck and the I6 or keep the 4.3 V6 and had something half way decent. That's what Nissan did when they build the Frontier. Took the frame and automatic from the Titan, transmission from the 350ZX for the manual version and a world class engine and you have a hit.
    GM decided to make a fool of themselves and put a neutered I6(lopped off a cylinder). I heard that the reason that HAD to do this was because the frame was sourced from ISUZU(another company on life support). So when it came time to use the I6 it was too long for the ISUZU frame. Solution......hack off a cylinder and you have an I5...... :sick:
    Just another example of, "it's good enough mentality".
    GM tried to pull the wool over the GTO admires by putting the GTO name on a Cavalier look alike. The sales were slow with the first intro so their solution throw more horse power and a hood scoop. :confuse:
    As we can all see the GTO was a flop :sick: :cry:
  • countsmackula1countsmackula1 Member Posts: 61
    The Frontier probably is the slightly better value of the two, and has disc brakes all the way around..Toyota really irritates me by using drums in the rear of the Tacoma, and by offering options in expensive packages instead of piecemeal. hello- why isn't cruise control standard on a $23,000 truck?? With that said, I bought a new Tacoma two weeks ago and love it..The main reason I didn't buy the Nissan is because both local dealers are notorious for gouging and pressuring customers, while the local Toyota dealer is above reproach--not to mention I bought it from a friend of a friend who was courteous and professional from beginning to end of the sale. paid a little more than expected , but I'm satisfied and don't regret it a bit.. Merry Christmas to everyone!
    ...honda has one huge problem with the ridgeline, the spare tire is in the 'bed trunk' i'm sure not too many ridgelines get used as trucks, but what do you do if you're driving with 10 sheets of plywood in your truck and you get a flat?...the in bed trunk sounds good, unless you plan on using your truck as a truck.... i work out of my truck, installing window coverings, so i carry a ladder and many boxes every day, nothing at all heavy, but some long boxes and odd shapes....

I can understand and fully appreciate your points. For a truck that is used as a daily loaded work truck the Ridgeline spare tire location is anything but ideal. Especially if constantly visiting work sites where flat tires are possibly a real issue.

On the other hand, the everyday serious work truck is probably not the market Honda is aiming at. I would think that 90% of "TRUCK" owners will use their trucks more like cars most of the time, with the occasional trip to Lowes, H-Depot, or the Shrub nursery. The young soccer players can throw their muddy gear there and yet there is still a (non intrusive) water tight lockable tool box for tool box stuff. In most any other truck the tool box is going to sit in the bed and take up space.

Last time I got a flat, a can of "Fix-A-Flat" and the portable cigarette lighter powered air pump handled the problem. That was probably the only Flat in our family of 3 cars over a 5-10 year period.

For a purely work truck I would choose the Forty or Toyota. For a Part time Truck/Full time Family Vehicle, the RL wins by far. :)

Kip
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    That Ford Ranger 207 H.P. would be a 4 litre I believe.
    Last time I got a flat, a can of "Fix-A-Flat" and the portable cigarette lighter powered air pump handled the problem.

Use caution on when using any liquid tire repair solutions on a vehicle equipped with TPMS systems. All of the 07's being compared have TPMS and many of the 06's.
    Also, make sure repair shop is notified of the TPMS system to prevent damage to the sensor.
    The sensors are very expensive and fix a flat type chemicals are said to possibly damage the sensors. At least that is what the TPMS manufacturers say.

The sensors are EXPENSIVE to replace.
    Rear discs are real nice to look at. They do nothing for your braking unless you have a big load in the back. Otherwise, therte is no problem getting enough braking to lock the rears up (unless you have anti-lock, which is exactly why anti-lock was made, because rears had enough power to keep locking up). The comment about using fix a flat tells what wasteful direction the country has taken. It has become easier to replace a ruined tire and wheel than it is to get a little dirty changing a tire. Once that stuff gets onto the wheel and tire, the life of both is drastically reduced due to corrosion and rubber breakdown. Fix a flat is designed if you are far from civilization and you discover that you have a stuck wheel stud or a flat spare. Emergency use is what it is for.
    Except brake fade (reduced braking ability because of overheated brakes), which happens a lot more readily on drums than discs.
    If you have a problem with brake fade, you are are not using your brakes correctly or the fronts are not operating correctly. Fade was a problem with front drums, and continues to be a problem with big rigs due to trailer weight. If you have the vehicle loaded down going down a steep, long windy mountain road, you will encounter fade problems. Under anything that resembles normal day to day use, fade will not be a factor. You could cap off the rears completely under normal use and not notice much if any difference.
    The comment about using fix a flat tells what wasteful direction the country has taken. It has become easier to replace a ruined tire and wheel than it is to get a little dirty changing a tire. Once that stuff gets onto the wheel and tire, the life of both is drastically reduced due to corrosion and rubber breakdown.

Thanks for the heads up.

That happened about a month after putting new tires on the old standby 78 Chevy Van. Spring of 2000. Original wheels. A 29Ft camper was attached at the time. Noticed it at a rest stop at near midnight. Except for one 18 wheeler in the truck area we were the only ones there. Just didn't seem like a good time to disable the vehicle.:cry: Slowly drove about 20 miles and found a open truck stop and changed the tire. No one there to fix it. Got it plugged the next day. Pressure was the same as the portable pump had done. Fix-a-Flat did its job. I would do the same again!

Tires are still on the van. Although all 4 are beginning to show stress cracks on the side walls. When should the corrosion start showing up? :confuse:

Kip
    Hey, people who drive trucks tend to tow things. When you tow things, you also need to stop them. Disc brakes do a better job at stopping them down that 5,000 foot grade-mountain road than drums, because they will take longer to overheat. It's just a fact. It doesn't make a truck inadequate to have rear drum brakes (heck, my old Honda has rear drums, and they are just fine), it just makes other trucks more capable of long periods of heavy braking without problems.

A lot of people who buy truck don't buy them for day-to-day use, they buy them to work hard; to tow that boat to the lake in the mountains; to haul those building materials to the worksite; to tow their old classic car on a trailer. For these times, discs are simply better at resisting fade.
    Disc brakes are not affected by water like drum brakes are. I had a 1977 Datsun KC 5 speed I drove for 24 years. Drum brakes front and rear. Everytime I went through water the brakes were gone until they were dried out.

And no, I did not race through water puddles.
    On occasion I would be trapped in a lane on the interstate and couldn't go around the puddle.

I much prefer the disc brakes under most circumstances.

OkieScot
This discussion has been closed.