Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Sunfire Electrical Problems

Comments

• argus1argus1 Member Posts: 8
    Help!! I bought a 2005 new. Was fine - at about 20,000 miles car began to buck and hardly accelerated - with check engine light flashing and trac light on. Dealer under warranty said computer indicated #2 cylinder misfire. They changed injector. About a month later exact same problem. Another dealer said it was bad wire to injector. About 6 weeks later exact same problem - car is now out of warranty. (worked fine between these episodes) I bring to my mechanic who changed coil pack - ran OK then a 2 weeks later exact same problem. Seems to happen more frequently now with much smoke coming out exhaust when it does happen. Now he thought it was control module until he read schematic that shows the control module handles cylinder 2&3 and cylindar 1&4 so he says it should be affecting both 2 and 3 - so now he says can't be control module. ANY help is much appreciated.
  • brian52brian52 Member Posts: 5
    try disconecting your battery and then put it back on .go for a drive around town at a slow speed and this will let the computer reboot.If there is something not reading right it my correct itself for you. good luck.
  • slconsultslconsult Member Posts: 1
    Your problem is with the pink wire that is part of your wiring harness. Your harness goes from the front right headlight to the left headlight. There is a short in this wire. Open your hood and take the thin plastic apron off the front part of the compartment. Now look close to whre your hood latch is and you should see the wiring harness. Look for a white blister or break in the wire. This is how i found and solved my exact same problem this summer. The harness is wired tightly so you will need a small pice of 14-16 AWG wire and small wire nuts to complete the reconnection. Cover with heat shrink or eletrical tape and you should be set.
  • romanqueenromanqueen Member Posts: 1
    I know I have a 2001 sunfire and the 3 day i drove off the lot with it
    the check engine light came on. So i took it back they did something to make the light come off. Than not even 2 months later i had to get front brakes. Now after having thecar less than 6 months I have this rumbling in the front under the dash board, its is very loud i took it to a shop they said its the baljoints. Oh my gosh this car is a piece of crap, and now the brake light just came on today. I am getting rid of this car in Jan 2009. I really want a Dodge Stratus but I am going to get a car fax on it before i buy it and have a high price shop look at as well. i've learned my lesson with this car. I am going to make sure I buy it straight out no car payments for me. :(
  • rousearousea Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire. The first problem occurred a few months back when my digital odometer went out. It has never come back on. I had to take my car to a mechanic to get new brake pads and I mentioned this to him and he said he would have to take the whole dash out to get in there to see the problem. I was in a hurry to get my car back and figured "taking the whole dash out" would mean a bunch of money.

I haven't taken this back to get fixed b/c it sounds costly. Anyone have an idea of how much it would cost?

I just noticed the second problem this morning involving the daylight running lamps. This morning, the icon came on and then flashed a few times (and made a sound, like when you're turn signal is being used) and then went away and the "service" icon came on my dashboard.

I looked in my driver's manual and it says, "a flashing DRL light indicates a possible burned-out headlamp, or that the vehicle may need service to repair a stuck DRL relay."

Does anyone know how to know which one it is? And if it's a stuck DRL relay, how much would that be?
  • kmarlarkmarlar Member Posts: 7
    have a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire that will blow the fuel when it is raining, snowing, etc. I have had the fuel pump checked and it is good. Dealer said that the fuel filter was clogged and replaced it. They said that it was the problem, but it has quit again(a rainy day). What could be causing this to happen, a frayed wire,a short in the wiring?
  • serena5serena5 Member Posts: 1
    Jan 2nd my check engine light comes on 50 miles into a new tank of gas. Had Advance check the engine code (cylinder 2 and 3 misfire) cleared it, figured a little bit of water in my gas, so i put a cleaner or two through the tank to fix it. six hours later the car is jerking down the road one minute and fine the next (NO ENGINE LIGHT) I call the dealership and arrange to drop it off. After charging me 90 to plug it in an read the code they tell me that they aren't sure the issue but they think its the spark plugs and the wiring in the module. So i dished out the 400 to have them fix it. Not a week later the check engine light is back on for the other side. I took the car to a friend that said the coil overs and the wiring for that part of the engine are not separate from the hot parts by a firewall they are laid directly over the coils. The engine check light will come on and then ten miles later go off, randomly flickers or just stays on.
    Its an 04 with only 54 thousand miles on it. I technically shouldn't have had to replace the sparkplugs yet.
    Anyone else having this problem?
    I had similar problem with my 2005.Car would begin to buck, lose power, and horrible exhaust smell. Dealer checked and said #2 misfire. - Changed ignitor - same problem a few weeks later. Another dealer said it was a wire - was OK for a month or so and then same problem. - My own mechanic worked on it - changed coil pack, even said it was computer - I bought a used one and had it programmed. All was OK for a couple of weeks - then same problem. To make a long story shorter - it turned out to be a wire intermintenly shorting against chassis. It was in a wire in wire bundle that goes to computer. You might want to check for shorting wire.
  • ciaciaciacia Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Sunfire. July 08 durning a REALLY bad Michigan thunderstorm I had literally jumped a phone pole that fell across the road. I drove the car again for about another month before really getting it checked out. New tires, balljoints, rods ect, and almost $1200 later I fixed any road problems I had with it.

Now let me start with under the hood.

My interior lights, and my radio, both are really strange. When I tighen my battery or charge it for even a moment, they both turn on and work. My radio will have to be manually turned on and off. After about a week, my interior light no longer will work, and my radio needs to be manually turned on still, but is totally reset (presets, clock, ect) and now turns off with the car.

The car has stalling/starting issues. Durning the heat in the summer it would start, but I could only run it for maybe 20 mins. I couldn't let it idle, or keep turning it on and off w.o. it totally giving out on me. It would like take a min to catch to accelerate, even when im gassing it 100%, or if I was driving under about 30. Now its winter and really cold, the car has issues with wanting to start again. It doesn't drive worse or stall but it doesn't want to start. (Starter repaired three times. So far its been running agian for a week. The last two times it was within days of eachother)

My muffler, converter, and alternatior were just recently replaced. Along w. spark plugs. A few other things were replaced trying to fix the stalling problem this summer, but I'm not exactly sure what ones they were.

This week driving it was fine. Until I was reaching the stop sign and my break basically fell to the floor. Now it sounds like its pumping air, nearly will NOT work, and doesn't give any sort of stop untill it reaches the ground. My roommate found out im out of break fluid so put some in and is bleeding my lines tonight so find out if that is working.
    >I just dont understand how even if i was running low on the fluid, why my breaks would work just totally fine up until one moment and then totally give out?

uggh. I don't know. 19 year old girl, part time and full time jobs, supporting myself, I can't deal w. all this bs anymore with this damn car. 7 months now and I can't go two weeks w. actually having a car to drive.
  • slackermanslackerman Member Posts: 43
    This might not be the same thing, but my 2.4L 1996 Sunfire had similar problems with bucking and stumbling. However, the check engine light never came on. Turns out my ignition coil and spark plug boots needed to be replaced. BUT I RECEIVED TWO BAD OEM IGNITION COILS! I'm currently using an ignition coil from a junkyard while my garage works something out with AC-Delco. The moral of the story is the fixed part might be a bad part.
  • shadow77shadow77 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same problem with the headlights on a 98 sunfire. I have narrowed it down to corrosion to the main headlight wiring harness either under the front frame before the front tires or its under the battery box at the main plug. I was told by a mechanic that there is no telling how much it will cost because there is no guarantee how many hours it will take to fix it. The one thing I have noticed is if you let the problem go it will only get worse so my car is scheduled to be torn apart because now I only have one dim headlight no brights or running lights. This thing is a huge waste of money and should be recalled by the company and destroyed so no one else has this problem.
  • whatdidigetn2whatdidigetn2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 1996 pontiac sunfire last year, the previous owner said he had replaced the motor mounts, water pump, and brakes. It ran great except for it getting hot when at idle for long periods of time, a few months later had to replace the radiator due to a major crack. Before that had to get a new rotor and all the brakes replaced. Now today when i started the car the battery light was on, went to the gas station filled the car up and got back on the road no problem other then the battery light and now brake light was on, took the highway home and the longer i drove the more the power in the car went, first the radio sputtered in and out then finally just quit, then the dash lights and head lights got dimmer til they were out but the car was still running, didn't stop at all til i pulled in my parking lot and the car died right as i put it in park. The dome light would still work just a little dimmer then usual so the battery cant be all the way dead. Anyone have any ideas? reading on here i think it's the alternator and am going to get it checked in the morning, any other ideas? any help will be greatly appreciated!!
    Help!! all of a sudden the temp gauge goes so far to the right - it keeps tach needle from moving. Even when car is off the temp gauge needle stays far to the right, Is is sender problem, or instrument cluster needs changing, Is true milage stored in computer so when instrument cluster with odometer is changed - the true milage changes onto the new cluster?

Thanks
  • dohick2002dohick2002 Member Posts: 2
    how offten has everyone been going through batteries on these cars. i have an '03 sunfire, has served me welll as a commuter until recently. i have had to get a jump start 6 times in the last month and a half and can garuntee that i have not left anyhing on. when i put a meter on the battery i measured .26Amps current comming out. it is possible to have a bad measurement but it also sugests that there is somthing in the electrical system that is pulling a load. I have an appointment this afternoon to get the car looked at, but are there any thoughts on the subject? and has anyone else been experiancing this problem.

hoping its just the battery. . .

Mike
  • casey60casey60 Member Posts: 7
    If its the original battery then replace the battery. About C$75.00 at Costco.
    If its a new battery you have a problem. I have a 2002 and had to replace the battery 6 months ago as well.
  • dohick2002dohick2002 Member Posts: 2
    i lucked out, it was just the battery. had the shop check it out just in case, had new lights put in while it was there, all in all i could have saved some money by getting a new batery myself but i like to stay on the side of caution.
  • dawnyadieseldawnyadiesel Member Posts: 6
    I'm having the same issues with my gauges. My gas gauge has flipped completely over so when it's full, it reads past the 110 mph mark. I also have had the temp gauge wonk out on me where it won't reset properly. My brother-in-law, who's also a mechanic, told me it's the instrument cluster and it's not a cheap fix. There's also a wire box under the frame by the front left tire and all the wiring is rotting on it, causing the issues with the gauges. There's no telling how much it would take to fix since they can't tell how many hours it would take. The speedometer also doesn't reset properly once in awhile, so sometimes my car will zero out at 30, then 40 then 50 etc.. until it hits the point where the needle is buried past 110. Then it takes a few times of turning the car off/on to get it back to 0.

Does anyone have matches? Let's all just meet at the Pontiac plant and torch the mother f-ers :mad:
    I want to replace my instrument gauge cluster with a used one. I have a 2005 sunfire (digital odometer). I have heard different responses as to whether when the used replacement cluster is installed - is the true mileage of car (as indicated on the original removed cluster) automatically reset that mileage to the used cluster that was installed? Is original miles stored in ECU? Thanks
  • dawnyadieseldawnyadiesel Member Posts: 6
    Your car will not reflect true mileage if you change the cluster.
    thanks for reply. Is there a way to get mileage onto the replaced luster, I was told it is stored in ECU
  • scottsbsiscottsbsi Member Posts: 2
    When I start my Sunfire all looks normal. I start to drive and every light on the dashboard comes on saying there is problems with oil brakes etc. When I get to idol again the lights most often go out. New battery and repairshop has checked wiring and is beginning to think the cluster whatever that is. Any suggestions..I can't keep paying them to hunt and peck and get nowhere for too many more hours.. gets expensive

Thanks

Scott
  • tk16tk16 Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 Sunfire won't start. When I turn the key, there is no power either. This happened the day after jump-starting my son's Explorer. Last time I jump started another car, this happened. I have checked the wires off the battery to the alternator, starter and ground wires. (I was told to check these " fusable-links?) When this happened before, I was charged over $200 to replace an $8 piece of wire, but I don't know what wire or if it's the same problem. Car will not respond to jump-start. All fusses in both fuse boxes are OK. Anyone know what the problem is or how I figure it out?
  • msokol87msokol87 Member Posts: 4
    I'm having similar issues w/ my 2000 sunfire but not quite as bad. Although the battery and cables were replaced recently as well as spark plugs, last morning the car wouldn't start. I attempted to get it jump started but this wouldn't work. The lights, radio come on and it sounds like it wants to turn over, but doesn't. I believe it's the alternator. Have you replaced this part? I'll be hopefully finding out about mine today from the garage. Sunfires suck.
  • naddynad86naddynad86 Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I have a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire. I bought my car in the summer of 2005, winter time came along, and my car would die and I would have to jump it. Only happened a couple times, I went to get it checked and they said to just replace the battery. I did... winter came back again the next year and what do ya know? Car dies. I have had to change the battery 4 times in 4 1/2 years. I wanted a second opinion because I was sick of buying all these batteries. They told me it was an electrical problem. They said something, a fuse, or something was draining my battery overnight. And I told them that it can not be, because my car works fine in the summer. They tell me that the battery gets cold and cant keep a charge. They couldn't find the "electrical" issue. Now, it's winter again, and it's ten times worse. I have to charge my battery and jump start it every single morning for the past 3 months!! It's draining... literally!
  • rjovik2rjovik2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 Sunfire and am looking for good sites for find other driver and enthusiasts.

I am also looking for a blue bulb for the dome light. I know the replacement bulb is a Sylvania 906, but can't find any cross referencing to find the correct blue bulb.
  • martinj2martinj2 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Scott, I'm having the same problem with my Sunfire. "I pretty much narrowed it down to the alternator...I think. The problem that I'm having is that I've done the same thing, and troubleshooting gets expensive. Have you figured out something different than the alternator being the problem?
  • scottsbsiscottsbsi Member Posts: 2
    I have had my sunfire being rebuilt for over a month clutch, front steering, etc.and they had major problems with airbag module that seems to keep blowing and then it sets off lights. I am not sure what they did but they did have the dealer reset the computer and the lights stay out except the ABS.
  • keith46keith46 Member Posts: 15
    Heres one for you to look out for! Ive never used the cig lighter, brand new still had cover on it. I was driving to town and all of a sudden the thing bursted into flames! I kept slapping it out but it kept flaming back up, I drove directly to the Fire station and they ran out and disconnected my battery and put the fire out, no damage done. Crazy huh. Noone can figure it out, so I just took the fuse out of it and called it good. I love my car, it gets 41 MPG on the hwy. But have had some crazy things go wrong with it, you just never know. The Sunfires need lots of TLC. Pretty sure I have experienced it all. It is a good little car to get around in and great on gas for a change. However this car is 11 years old, thats when they made them get good gas milage, cause gas was lower. Oh the good old days.
  • mssunfiremssunfire Member Posts: 1
    When you turn the key the dash board lights flicker but won't turn over.
    When you take the key out it makes a clicking noise through the dash.
    Any suggestions, my dad will try. I have no job or money. Trying to get by. Sometimes the car would not start in the past. Also there is a constant buzz over my radio so I turn it up to drown it out, maybe it's related or not?
    Please HELP!
  • steve194steve194 Member Posts: 6
    trouble shooting a drain can be a real pain. but if you are willing to try something then this might help. electrical issues can be cause by starters, alternators, radios etc most things that have coils windings etc. try unplugging them one at a time and leave them overnight and see if it makes a difference. if not then try disconnecting the negative terminal hook a test light to the cable and then the neg terminal of the battery if there is a draw the test light should light up dim to bright depending on the draw. if it lights the start pulling fuses until the light goes out. and if all else fails just install a battery shut off switch on the neg or pos battery cable and shut if off every night. hope this helps. good luck.
  • karenrckarenrc Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

A few months ago, my 2004 Sunfire started acting up. I'd turn it off, open the door and the radio would stay on. When I wiggled the little toggle on the door frame, it would shut off. Not any more. Nor is there a warning chime if I leave the key in the ignition and open the driver's door and I found out the hard way today that there's no chime when I leave the headlights on. I've sprayed the toggle with WD-40 and Jig-a-loo...no change.

Any suggestions? I could do without another dead battery!

TIA,
    Karen in Keswick :o)
  • carsonscarsons Member Posts: 3
    i accidentally started my sunfire without the alternator pluged in, i turned the car off pluged in the alt, and now it wont start.does any one know what has happend?. The anti theft light is on but it is not blinking. The car has gas and spark and turns over, but it just wont start.
  • jus_momjus_mom Member Posts: 1
    :cry: I had never had any problems with my Sunfire until nearly a week ago. Went out of town (30 miles) to do xmas shopping and it drove great. Coming home the FUEL light went on (1/2 tank gas in tank) and then the TEMP light came on (wasn't hot or overheating). I had all the fluids checked and was told they are all fine.
    Anyone know what the problem might be? (reading around on this forum i'm wondering about fuses(?) bad wiring in sunfires(?) Where are the fuses in a 2005 Sunfire?...... that would be something I could check myself but as far as wiring.....
    Thank you in advance. I will appreciate any help!!!!
  • sunfirehatersunfirehater Member Posts: 2
    Been a wet week down here in san antonio and my 99 sunfire is acting up because of it I think...

Started out that when I hit the brakes pedal, all the warning lights on the dash would come on until the brake pedal was released. Get home, shut the car off, and chocked it up to cluster problems that a lot of people experience with these cars. Next morning I come out to start the car and the anti-theft is blinking and car won't start. Call the dealership and they say its the bcm. I'm thinking..probably not since the brake pedal thing the night before..I get a ride to work from a friend since it won't start..Now, I go out this morning, reach up behind the dash and start feeling around the brake pedal..moved some wires around..and it starts..

I'm thinking there is a short in the cluster/steering column harness that caused the antitheft to trigger. Anybody else ever see this?
  • sunfirehatersunfirehater Member Posts: 2
    your fuses are in the side of the dash that is against the drivers side door..there is a little pop out panel there..there is also a master fuse and relay box under the hood usually near the battery..

sounds though like you are starting to experience guage cluster problems like a lot of us are..
  • disbliledisblile Member Posts: 3
    hi, i have an 05 sunfire! the speedometer is the only thing acting up on it. all other gauges work fine! sometimes it will say i am going 110 and other times it will say im going ZERO! i know it is always off! when im going 25 it sould say seventy, any sugestions??
  • quippianquippian Member Posts: 2
    I just had this problem on exact year 2001 sunfire and had it fixed today, the rear speed sensor was the culprit, the sensor it self went bad, but on the sunfires, front speed sensors when they go bad you only have to replace the sensor, but on the rear of some but not all the rear ones are part of the wheel hub and you have to replace the whole wheel hub assembly, use only an honest garage to do this, prices for the part vary greatly, once replaced all three lights went off, traction control, abs and service light
  • rona3rona3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 sunfire. I went to pick up my wife at work and went to start the car and it not start. A theft system light came on. and now I have to figure out how the get that light to go out. I sure don't want to tow it to the dealers. I do have the factory theft system built in the radio. I know that 's not the problem, because it's locked and I can't set it with the code.
    If anyone knows what to do, please let me know.
    southpaw_183@msn.com
  • blazer6973547blazer6973547 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2010
    when im in the car and all is good, then the wipers wont work, the headlights turn off and daytime running lights come on. wipers which are now stuck halfway up the window and can hear the wiper motor whining from not enough power, when i turn on and off the wipers or headlights the drivers power lock will unlock but not the other doors. after fooling around for a bit i figured out that if i turn the switch on for the wipers and repeatedly hit the door unlock button for about 5 or 10 seconds, then the wipers kick back in and the headlights come back on.

not sure if this is related but the drivers side park light wont work and the bulb is good.....signal light works, just no park light

any ideas?
  • blazer6973547blazer6973547 Member Posts: 24
    i figured out that the problem was a crossed wire in the headlight harness, fixed it and now i dont have any of those issues. couple thousand kms later the alternator seems to be going cuz its running at 11.8 volts but never spits sputs or stalls and always starts up first try. i was going to change it but now im getting a strong electrical smell and wondering if that could be caused by the alternator or is it something more serious?
  • brian1cjbrian1cj Member Posts: 1
    Hi argus1,

I've been all over the Internet searching for a problem with a 2005 Sunfire and you and I are (or were) in the same boat. The car does exactly what you describe where the temp gauge (now now the speedo) doesn't reset when the car is turned off.

How did you resolve it? Did you replace the cluster? Did the mileage read from the computer or did it read what the new cluster said? If you needed to get it programmed, how did you go about doing that?
    Hi, I bought a rebuilt cluster at Advanced Auto Electronics ((804-427-1111) It cost $175 (you send back the old one). It was perfect - they are really nice people. My mechanic installed in in no time. The cluster picks up the cars real mileage from the computer. It's almost a year since I got it and still working perfectly. Good luck.
    Oh forgot to mention - no programming is necessary. Only need programming if you change the car computer. You are only changing the cluster and as I mentioned it automatically pics up mileage from computer.
  • rubberduckrubberduck Member Posts: 5
    The odometer on my 97 Sunfire GT stopped working. How do they work are the mechanical or electrical? What would be involved in testing or finding out what is wrong. This car is new to me

Thanks for responding
  • philly79philly79 Member Posts: 1
    pontiac 20000 sunfire turn signal only worked intermittantly now won"t keep working for more than 10-15 seconds. Fuses and bulbs ok.light comes on but no flash.
  • smolgansmolgan Member Posts: 1
    i have a problem with my 07 sunfire manually shift...when i start the car everything wrks ...but once i engage the gear n start driving all the warning lights come on but the car drives great...also i have to run the ac coz ma engine fan dont work..any ideas
  • gonzales514gonzales514 Member Posts: 1
    The ignition fuse on my car keeps blowing......replaced ignition module....coil....spark plug wires and still same problem.....does anybody have any ideas......
  • eagleakaaceeagleakaace Member Posts: 1
    The first and second stages do not work on the the fan, stage three and four work fine. How can I fix this problem.
  • johnp11dwyljohnp11dwyl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Ponitac Sunfire that I just bought under a month ago. Dealer sold it to me cheap because of the electric work that needs done. Turns out the damage was more extensive then I thought, but the engine runs great. Just drove it out to Kansas City from Indiana with no trouble at all. Until after I got here, that is. Tried starting it to go to work, and it turned over, revved up, then died. Got it to start up, shut it off, then came back about a minute later, and it wouldn't start. Same problem.

Electric issues include: Every dash light coming on and staying on when driving. Very dim driver side headlight. Radio removed by dealer to help with elcetric issues. Ignition switch replaced about two weeks ago.

This is the first time the engine has given me trouble. Any help would be very much appreciated
  • ericv2009ericv2009 Member Posts: 1
    If only two stages on the fan work but the other two don't work, then you'll have to replace your blower motor regulator.