Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Sunfire Electrical Problems

chrisbechrisbe Member Posts: 2
Hi,

My horn does not work anymore. The fuse & the relay are OK, but I cannot locate the horn? Where is it?

Chrisbe

Comments

• fmoirfmoir Member Posts: 2
    my right rear turn signal will not work the front light flashes but very fast i have changed blub and still the same left signal works fine where can i find they relay i have looked every where and cannot find it thanks
  • ellentimellentim Member Posts: 4
    I've read several requests but I haven't found the definitive answer! My turn signals flash sporadically. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't! (much like the rest of my 2000 Sunfire). The fuse was fine. I bought a new flasher, but I don't see the old one! I've changed flashers in older cars, but this is ridiculous! All I see on the driver's side panel is about 500 wires. (Might be the alarm system, not sure) Thanks! -Tim
  • ponsunfieponsunfie Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 pontiac sunfire. One day I was driving and the radio died. A few minutes later all the power died. It was still running. I drove straight home, turned off the car and tried to restart it. It went click click click and wouldn't start. A few hours later i tried again and it started and turned it off. I just let it sit.

The next day I started it and it just went dead. No power and nothing. Shoud I dig a grave or repair it lol. A mechanic friend said the relay might have overheated. I don't know.

I ain't got much cash so I was wondering if it is the relay, battery or whatever. Thanks!
  • smalls13_99smalls13_99 Member Posts: 1
    Here is my situation. I have a 95 Sunfire and the turn signals no longer work. This first started last year when the turn signals wouldn’t flash (they would go on). I changed the flasher and then they started flashing erratically and then went out all together. I did a little digging and found that the alarm had been installed and hooked up to the signal wires. I took out the alarm (wasn’t working anyway) and the signals worked again (the signal click was a lot quieter than it had been). Now a year later, they are out all together again. Checked the fuses, checked the flasher. Anyone with any ideas of what it could be?
    This may or may not be related…..The left tail light keeps burning out and the stereo sometimes wont work. This has been happening since it was installed (after the first signal problem).Can all this be related or is my car just a heap?
    WHERE was your flasher located?? Was it buried under the alarm on the driver's side firewall? Personally, I think we BOTH have heaps! Thanks...
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    We have a 98 Sunfire and for the about a year or so, we were having problems with both tail lights burning out. After looking into the problem, I noticed that the light socket was burning the metal wires on the end of the light bulbs. The solution, I went to a Pontiac Dealer and bought two replacement light sockets, cost under $10, and haven't had a problem since. :)
  • tbird_s_ytbird_s_y Member Posts: 5
    Probably no help now, but I bet it was the alternator. Mine went at around 110k miles on my 95 Sunfire. My blinkers started flashing slower than usual and then my check engine light came on and my lights dimmed - turned out to be the alternator (I have the 4 door sedan, and my blinkers are REALLY slow, but they have always been that way and passed inspection). My battery is still going strong though. The only other repairs I have had to make were new brakes and pads at 100k miles, and new cv joints/front axle around the same time I got the alternator replaced.
  • ajhamiltajhamilt Member Posts: 1
    Both of my turn signals went out and I replaced the bulbs to both. The left works but the right does not. I was told by a mechanic at CarX that it was my ground wire (?) and referred me to an auto electric mechanic. Has anyone ever heard of this problem and how much does it cost to fix?
  • sunfirebsunfireb Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have a 2000 Sunfire. Sometime back I noticed that the rear speakers weren't working. Later the same day they started working. Then only one side would work. Then both again, then neither.
    I had the Extended Warranty at the time so I took the car to the Pontiac house. When I picked the car up the Service Mgr. said that one of the rear speakers had a short in it which was causing this problem. He said that factory replacements were about $17 each but he stated that I might want to upgrade to a better set of speakers (aftermarket) so he didn't replace the speakers.
    Anyone ever heard of a shorted speaker causing this kind of problem? Seems kinda odd to me. I don't want to replace the speakers only to experience the same problem.
    If anyone has heard of this I would like to hear from you. I appreciate the Forum's time. Thanks in advance for any ideas on this issue. :)
  • zenreizenrei Member Posts: 2
    Dude, seriously, you need to get a haynes book... if you have a 2000, it says 1998 and later models (this book is up to 2004), the combination turn signal/hazard flasher is mounted to the brake pedal bracket above the steering column.
  • zenreizenrei Member Posts: 2
    My 1995 is doing the same thing... the blinking was sporratic... now neither they or the hazards work... I suspect it's an issue with the alarm system (looks like a hack install anyway) and I'm going to have it removed this weekend and see if that fixes it.
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I was trying to get around buying an expensive manual for a car I've already spent WAY too much on (don't get me started!) and would like to get rid of NOW!
  • 95pontiac195pontiac1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 pontiac sunfire, and my horn became very weak. So, I decided to change the horn. I had the same problem. Where did they put the horn. Its under or in the front right fender in front of the passenger side wheel. It catches all the road grit (really good place for a horn - NOT). Good luck. I mounted my new horns(2) just in front of the frame that holds the headlight mounts. Tight fit but works, and I can get to them easily. Hope this helps.
  • dotsanthdotsanth Member Posts: 2
    1999 SUnfire here. I have been having my radio lose its time like there is a power loss and slow cranking so I changed the battery. A while back my ABS light came on so I checked the connections on the module and started car and it went away. It did that every now and then untill Friday it and the brake light came on and the anti-lock started engaging and disengaging on its own...turned it off then back on and no prpblem. Was driving to work this morning and every light on the dash came on and off and the door chime started dinging. When I pulled over to turn it off it wouldnt start back. It was like a complete power loss.
  • bikergtpbikergtp Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Sunfire GT and I'm experiencing the same with my rear speakers. Sometimes neither one will work and sometimes just the right rear works. The fronts seem to be working fine. I have not looked into what may be causing this. So this note is just to let you know that someone else is having the same rear speaker problem.
  • johnny25johnny25 Member Posts: 3
    I just had the same thing happen to me today. Every light on the dash came on and off and the door chime started dinging. Car will not start.

Did you ever resolve this problem? What is the fix?
  • dotsanthdotsanth Member Posts: 2
    I disconnected the battery for a minute or two and tried again and it started right off the bat. My ABS light still comes on from time to time nothing more like that. I am beginning to think it is computer related. I used a code reader to check for anything and it didnt show any malfunctions.
    Thanks for the speedy reply.
    I had the car towed to a shop today for a mechanic to look at tomorrow morning. The tow person seemed to think that the problem is with the starter. Seems to me it could be anything. I hope it is not an intermittent computer problem.
    Will keep you posted.
    Just back from the repair shop. The problem turned out to be a bad battery terminal. The positive terminal just about fell off! New battery solved my car troubles, for now.
    Perhaps you only had a bad, battery, connection.

Thank you.
  • kgst_bobkgst_bob Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2002 sunfire November 2005 and before taking it off the lot noted that the RR speaker wasn't working; dealer replaced and I figured it was settled. Now this is primarily the wife car so I don't drive it often. Just notice, Nov 06 the RR speaker not working again. Don't know exactly when it stopped functioning but and now investigating various forums for answers...none yet....anyone more news on this issue??
  • kev_sunfire05kev_sunfire05 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Sunfire. Every now and then the lights on my dashboard will light up. Sometimes only for a few seconds. One time they stayed on and I called my dealership. That's when they told me to come in and not turn off my car b/c it thought it was being stolen. Just the other night my air bag light flashed on for about 3 seconds. This is already after I've had the front stuts replaced b/c they went bad after a year. Let me just say, I'm sorry I ever bought this car. Any suggestions?
  • 944s944s Member Posts: 42
    has anybody had any trouble with the sunroof on their sunfire,,, mine works when it wants to but it doesnt work properly,,, i know that there is a recall or technical service bulletin,, does anybody know if the dealership fix this?????
  • gzym54gzym54 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sunfire where the dashboard will go blank and displpay "ERROR" on the odometer. It used to be intermittent, but now the whole display is blank. Have you seen this symptom? Has anyone?
    I think it's fairly safe to say most Sunfires are JUNK! I really liked mine (mainly the body style) when I first got it. Since 2000, I've had the same power window worked on FIVE TIMES, heater blower, wipers, radio, car alarm, and now the flasher's out and I can't even find it to replace it! After four Pontiacs in a row, NO MORE!
  • rockynillrockynill Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2001 Sunfire. The odometer reads the mileage just fine when I first start the car, but after a few minutes/seconds the display shows a series of numbers and dashes, that is kinda faint, where the mileage reading should be. If I bang on the instrument cluster, it will go back to showing my true mileage, but then it starts the erratic readings again almost immediately. Anyone know how to fix this problem?
  • singletiggersingletigger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sunfire. My lights that show my heater and blower area is out. Does anyone know how to fix them. The fuses are in proper condition because that is the first thing I checked.
  • sbaker1sbaker1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 pontiac sunfire 2.4. I have done lots of repairs we wont even go there right now. My starter went out and I had my sons to replace it. Well they broke off a wire to the crankshaft sensor and let a wire going to the alternater touch the frame and it sparked. I replaced the crank shaft sensor. When I try to crank it I hear a clicking noise coming from under the glove box. I was told there were some relays under there but I can't find them. Any one have any ideas. Thank you.
  • sabrina1589sabrina1589 Member Posts: 2
    My 98 sunfire pees on me when it rains, I have duck tape around it but it doesn't stop everything. The motor in it works fine but the one side won't lift up right because of the assembly. Could be your motor.
  • dbeeredbeere Member Posts: 7
    13,000 miles. I bought the car with only 3,000 miles. I notice that GM is offering an extended warranty on all if not most repairs. Obviously there must be known issues. The engine just started staying on today. It has been extremely cold here in Toronto. The car wants to chug and feels like it is going shut off. Never had this problem before. I looked at the serpintine belt and seems to be OK. I maintain regular oil changes. Tonight I will have the block heater plugged in and see what happens.

Why would GM issue a card, of the extended warranty. I only notice that it was in the glove compartment recently.

Regards.
  • kenzie4kenzie4 Member Posts: 4
    i just got my sunfire recently, and the other day, i was just coasting behind sonone and i look down and my speedometer reads 0. also i noticed my gas gauge fluctuates alot too. almost a half tank, but only when it gets low in gas. is this s fuse or relay problem, wiring, or do i just need a new cluster panel? any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Bowmanville here. How many KM's are on the car. Sounds like you may been a new cluster panel. Do you no someone private that has a tester? It it 2.4 ltr engine. Let me no and will give you a couple of suggestions.
    i do not have someone private to test it, but have been thinking of getting one my self, found on for 50 dollars. it is a 2.2 ltr engine, and it has about 115,000 miles on it. everything else runs GREAT on the car. could it be a bad sensor somewhere?
    To do a proper test if would have to be done by a computer adapter by. Your could call a GM dealership and ask how much they would charge to run the test. And decide from their. Let me know what they say. But a $50 tester is not computerized.
    Hi All, I'm having a problem starting our 98 Pontiac Sunfire with an after market car alarm from Best Buy. (It's was installed eight years ago). I replaced the starter about a year ago with a re manufactured starter. I just had the battery tested and charged. The symptoms are, when the key is turned all the way forward to start position, all the ignition lights that are suppose to come on are on, but no start. There is no cranking of the starter or engine at all. I hear, what sounds like a little hum, which I think is normal, when I turn the key forward to the on position. I've had problems in the past with the alarm not wanting to disarm when pressing the disarm button. Or after disarming, I turn the key and no start, but the Alarm LED light is flashing indicating the alarm is armed. I push the disarm button again and it starts right up. I see what looks like three wires going from a part of the alarm system to the starter. How can I disconnect the alarm so that we can start the car? It's hard to tell which wire is the factory ignition wire. Thanks :shades:
    Hi All, I'm having a problem starting our 98 Pontiac Sunfire with an after market car alarm from Best Buy. (It's was installed eight years ago). I replaced the starter about a year ago with a re manufactured starter. I just had the battery tested and charged. The symptoms are, when the key is turned all the way forward to start position, all the ignition lights that are suppose to come on are on, but no start. There is no cranking of the starter or engine at all. I hear, what sounds like a little hum, which I think is normal, when I turn the key forward to the on position. I've had problems in the past with the alarm not wanting to disarm when pressing the disarm button. Or after disarming, I turn the key and no start, but the Alarm LED light is flashing indicating the alarm is armed. I push the disarm button again and it starts right up. I see what looks like three wires going from a part of the alarm system to the starter. How can I disconnect the alarm so that we can start the car? It's hard to tell which wire is the factory ignition wire. Thanks :shades:
    Your still under warranty. Take it immediately to the dealership. The extended warranty is the power train. There should be a little grean card inside you warranty book. Does the engine light come on at all. Mine did, also tried the block heater. Took it in and found it was only running on 3 cylenders. It GM's responsibility. BUT it the engine light is coming on or not TAKE IT IN. Mine was taken in 2 weeks ago.
    Here is the update. I was able to disconnect the alarm, according to the manufactures instructions, with no luck. Still doing the same thing. I haven't given up yet. Since I know that the battery is fine, I'm going to take off the starter and have it tested. (Going to try hitting it with a hammer first to see if it will start.) I remember for the past month or so, how the car would take three times to turn over, when she sat for more than two days of not being started. Maybe this was a sign of the starter going bad and I misdiagonised the problem.
    Here is the update. I was able to disconnect the alarm, according to the manufactures instructions, with no luck. Still doing the same thing. I haven't given up yet. Since I know that the battery is fine, I'm going to take off the starter and have it tested. (Going to try hitting it with a hammer first to see if it will start.) I remember for the past month or so, how the car would take three times to turn over, when she sat for more than two days of not being started. Maybe this was a sign of the starter going bad and I misdiagonised the problem.
    February 16, 2007 the engine light stayed on. They replaced the EGR Modules as it was running on only 3 cylenders.

Sunday, March 4th 2007 the engine light came on again. Drove off the highway sufficent to get to a local spot.

Called the GM hotline and the car was towed to my home.

It only has 27,000 KM's.

Has anyone with the same car had similiar problems. 2.2
    It wasn't the alarm at all. :confuse: It was the starter. :mad: I hit the starter with a hammer a few times and she started right up. After five days of this and about 4 hours of my time total, I was so happy that I had figured out the problem. I was going to have the car towed to the dealer for them to figure it out. So the fix really only cost us about 6 hours of my time and about $10 in parts to reconnect the alarm system. :)
    ok, well i still have not gotten it tested, but now, i hit a puddle and the speedometer works. so i believe its a bad ground somewhere on the tranny, if anyone knows where abouts it would be before i put it on ramps and start looking, it would help. thanks
    ok, nevermind agai, i looked and it was easy to see, but difficult to get to, the ground on the clip is off, so i am going to have to do some splice work
  • tarantula1512tarantula1512 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 98 Sunfire, the previous owner hit a deer with it and after that the High beams didn't work. My husband messed around with the wiring and managed to get one working, but I've been having all kinds of electrical issues. If I tilt my wheel too much , my taillights go out. My Odometer doesn't work, I took the instrument cluster out and there doesn't seem to be and connection for the Odometer on it. Do I have to redo the wiring? If so how much Is a wiring harness and Instrument cluster?
  • whitney12whitney12 Member Posts: 2
    hello. my 2005 sunfire started having this same problem a few days ago. my service light is on and the odometer reads error after the car has been started. did you find a solution to this ever? did you take your car in? can you provide me with any details.
  • swiff97swiff97 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 coupe.. and today i had to replace a few fuses because my cigarette lighter and horn stopped working.. but anyways, i noticed now that my radio doesn't work, nor my cassette player. the lights behind the buttons all work, but when i push any of them nothing happens. so where exactly is the radio fuse located? on the fuse chart i cant find anything that looks like it could be the radio fuse, since everything is abbreviated (to tell you the truth, i know nothing about cars or what any of the words mean) any help would be very appreciated.
  • jasonfryejasonfrye Member Posts: 1
    A few years ago I was putting in a car stereo for my wife, while hooking up one of the wires to the harness, they arc'd off. every since then, everytime her car cuts off her radio resets itself, time and all. I have tryed 3 different radios in it since then and theyve all done the same thing...I checked all the fuses and all the connections to all three stereos. Am I missing something? :confuse:
  • dartchuckerdartchucker Member Posts: 2
    can anyone tell me how to get at the license plate bulbs to change them. Its a 99 sunfire gt Thank you in advance
  • quastquast Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 sunfire gt and when i bought it the gas gauge would just stay at full, convenient but not helpfull, so i changed out the gauge just thinking it might be it but it wasn't. when i turn it on it will move around a little then go back to where it was. ive heard a lot of different possible problems like the pick up, a fuse, faulty wiring has anyone else had this problem and if so can i get some feedback would be greatly appreciated
  • dartchuckerdartchucker Member Posts: 2
    This is for anyone interested on how to change the license plate bulb, you have to remove the whole lens cover which will come off easy after removing the 9 nuts. The manuals only show 6 that should be removed but in fact there are 3 more.
  • windfall3windfall3 Member Posts: 1
    I have the Same issue the speedometer and odometer are not working when i went though a Car Wash it started to work again but now it is not working how to i fix this? I have had it tested for free everything was ok and he showed me a wire clip right under the car on the tranny it clipped in but one of the wires was old and showing the Raw wire without the plastic coating on it... How do i fix this????????
    Please E-Mail me at brian@windfall.ca