Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Audio Questions

Comments

• drgntudodrgntudo Member Posts: 4
    I want to get to the back of the audio device in my Corolla to verify the connections so I can install my 6 CD Changer. I have been told that I can use the "P.I.E. TOY03/PC-ALP CD Changer Interface" to connect the CD Changer. Can anyone tell me how to remove the Audio system from the dash.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    This link is for removal of what looks like a 2009 radio w/ console...Hope it gives you some insight into your removal. Also search in this thread...there are some other verbal methods referenced.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251982

Good Luck
  • jpaolijpaoli Member Posts: 26
    The steps:

1. disconnect battery lead because of air bag sensors
    2. pop off trim around shifter stick
    3. remove center knob on the A/C panel. Remove phillips screw behind the knob. This is the only screw that has to come out (in addition to the 4 radio screws)
    4. pull the a/c console forward. It's a tight fit but it's only held by clips. This was the most difficult part for me because I didn't want to break anything. It eventually released after pulling with constant pressure.
    5. pull the air vent assembly off around the radio. This is also a tight fit, is only secured with clips. The radio face plate came off with this piece.
    6. Remove 4 10mm bolts at bottom of radio. I used putty on a 10mm socket to help hold the bolt from falling down into the dashboard. Lose these bolts and you'll easily add several hours to the job trying to fish them out of the dashboard.
  • yotafan1yotafan1 Member Posts: 2
    is there any way to install an amp to my factory 6 disc radio, in a 2006 Toyota Corolla.. Thanks in advance

If so how
    this does not apply to "07 Corolla (LE)
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Go to www.crutchfield.com and ask them...They will know.
  • wwr66wwr66 Member Posts: 1
    Question about whether I'm being snowed when it comes to having a new stereo installed...

I went to a big electronics retailer (Store #1) to see about replacing the stock stereo (CD/AM-FM) in my 07 Corolla with one that has both CD/AM-FM and an auxillary plug for an MP3 player. This retailer has a feature on its car audio webpage where you can select your vehicle and see which stereo decks will be compatible with it. I did this -- and found that it had no listings (none) for the Corolla. (Same thing for the Honda Civic and Accord.) I figured this was an error, especially since a competitor (Store #2) listed 12-15 different decks that are supposedly compatible with my Corolla year.

Store #1 said that they're "covering our bases" by not listing anything as compatible, since I have six speakers and most decks won't work with the stock six speakers in the vehicle. They say I'd either have to "lose" two of my speaker connections (undesirable, in my view) or I'd have to buy two new (more "efficient") speakers from them. This would just about double the total cost I planned to pay for a new stereo deck with installation. Obviously, I'm reluctant to go this route. But the scare tactic at Store #1 is that I could "fry" my new deck if it overwhelms the speakers the car came equipped with. (I'm not looking for the thumping bass effect. Maybe a little Led Zepplin on my rockiest days.)

The kicker: The competitor (Store #2) seems just fine with installing the same decks and has indicated no concerns about needing to install additional store-purchased speakers. Basically, I would just have to pay $20 or so for the harnass, plus the deck itself (installation is pretty much free if the deck is over $99). I would much prefer to go with Store #2 and the much less expensive cost involved...but if I do that, am I likely to "fry" my new stereo? In other words, are those two new speakers Store #1 wants to sell me truly necessary? Thanks for any info/guidance.

Steve
    This does not answer my question concerning removing the CD-AM/FM device from the dash of my 07 Corolla. BUT if you want info about what your reply Store #1 and store # 2 go to LOGJAM.com and ask them questions. My experience with them has been outstanding. Again www.logjam.com. Good luck.
  • yotafan1yotafan1 Member Posts: 2
    thank you very much
  • slowlearner1slowlearner1 Member Posts: 35
    Just bought an 09 Corolla and want to install stock XM reciever. Does anyone have any experience with this or can anyone give me a website that details this install?
    thanks
    Jim
  • slowlearner1slowlearner1 Member Posts: 35
    Found the info I needed and will pass it on for others. The xm reciever box installs on the right side (as you look in the trunk) behind the panel. It requires a fit kit that has necessary bracket and bolts to hold the reciever in place. It also has an extension for the antenae lead. The harness connection is too far away to reach the reciever without the extension (more money for Toyota). The reciever is part 86180-0W031 and the fit kit is PT546-02080. I was able to oder both including postage for about $250. Others have said the install takes 1/2 to 1 hour and is easy. Instructions come with the fit kit and can be found on line. Toyota xm price is around $400. Hope this helps someone...
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    On my 2009 Corolla XLE I got the JBL high end eight speaker sound system. The XM was included right in the radio, no additional receiver needed. Wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the extra $1000.00 for this system but I'm so glad I did. This system has knock your socks off sound in general but it's optimized when combined with the XM satellite reception. This 440 watt system sounds so much better then the standard or even the middle grade radio that you can get. I can turn the volume up to #50 with no distortion at all. If any one is seriously considering this JBL sytem with XM and Bluetooth hands free calling and can afford it, go for it, you won't be sorry. Phone speaker and microphone are right above your head. It's so nice not having to fiddle with a cell phone when calling or receiving calls when all you have to do is press a button on the steering wheel to do this. The audio controls are at a fingers touch away on the steering wheel and are just so convenient as well.
  • 4primadonna4primadonna Member Posts: 15
    Need advise as to what to do or how to solve this problem. Signal lights both front and back are mysteriously turn on by itself even car is parked. We always need to disconnect the cable from the battery and reset it.
    What's causing it and what to do to avoid and solve the problem? Pls. advise. Thanks.

prima donna
    you can try two things to may fix your probelm. one is ck to see if flasher in your fuse box is any good. two tap the cover behind steer wheel see if it act up.
    thanks a million.
    I have another issue maybe you know the answer to this. Same car, acting up by stalling ocassionally. Before it does, it jerk first (like a warning) then speed decreases and engine stop. But, when i start, it will start right up. Most parts are new (replaced) with original. Example: starter/distributor/crank sensor/water pump..
    Still doing it every now and then. What's causing it and how to solve it. Pls. need your advise/your expert opinion. Thank you so much.
    Car is acting up every now and then. Won't know when it's going to stall on me. Most parts have just been replaced with original parts like: starter,distributor, water pump, crank sensor, timing belt... Before it stall, it's giving me some kind a warning like..jerking then decreases the speed and then stop. But then, it start right up when i tried to start the engine... Am not sure what's causing the stalling and what to do to solve it. Anyone out there who can give advise or share your thoughts, do appreciate it. Thank you so much especially to those who take the time to respond and share their opinion or give advise to us who doesn't know much about cars......Thanks again.
    when you replace the distrubutor did you change the wires,plugs and gas filter?
    Yes.
    Ok try this ck the connection on the coolant temperature sensor with a voltmeter that tell the computer the temperature of the coolant.The coolant temperature sensor may be your probelm for the stalling. Make sure the coolant full. Change the thermostat if you have not done that yet.
    Ok, I'll do just that and thank you so much for the advice. Hopefully, that will take care of my concern about this car. Take care.
  • ogoranogoran Member Posts: 1
    can anybody tell me what's the best oil engine to use on a toyota corolla 1993 that is 95,000 miles?

anumrama@aol.com
    i would say 5w30 or 10w30 all brand oils are ok
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    5-30 Castrol GTX dino oil will be fine. This engine is extremely reliable if it has been properly maintained.
  • pxguypxguy Member Posts: 2
    Crutchfield charges and instaldr.com has no late models.'00 the latest
  • pxguypxguy Member Posts: 2
    The instructions are right on the money. I looked for some shortcuts but each piece has to come off in order. Took me all of 10 minutes to take it down to the circuit board face of the unit. Mine went dead and I wanted to see if the thing had power.There are two ribbon connectors that are hard to put back with big fingers. Put back together and still no power. Got in later that day and the thing came on all by it's self. Had to tear down fast as the first time i left the ribbons off thinking the whole thing was fried. Had the volume all the way up,(of Coarse) and the ribbons connect the controls. My Brother said he had a Toy that had a similar radio problem. Not working on one day and fine the next. Anyone else with this prob?
  • ponte42589ponte42589 Member Posts: 1
    i have a question i have a 2005 corolla ce and i need help removing the factory radio so i can install a dvd touch screen.
  • tetsooeytetsooey Member Posts: 1
    I saw the post by bohrdom

http://2k7corolla.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-to-remove-rear-speakers-from-2007.htm- l

but I was wondering if it's somewhat similar for an '02 corolla.. If someone has a guide or walk-thru, that'd be awesome.

thanks
  • flinkyflinky Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Corolla LE which came XM ready. I had the dealership change that to Sirius ready prior to delivery. The radio sometimes ejects the cd (have 6 cd unit) when I am pressing a preset button (no even close to the eject button mind you) and other strange mixed up things. I have also blown two mp3 players when plugged into the aux port and am now on my third. They always go off or dead while in use in the port and were rarely used at all. I end up having to re-format them and eventually they just won't work at all. What is going on here?? I have never left the mp3 player out in weather changes or abused it in any fashion. The only constant is being connected to the aux at the time of death. Is anyone else having these freaky issues?
    Nope, I got a 2009 XLE with a six disc changer and free XM and just love it. Got the JBL upgrade and what a difference in sound going to the JBL upgraded speakers and radio. The higher rated wattage on the radio can really put out with hardly any distortion at very loud levels, and the bass is awesome. Sounds like you might have a wiring problem when they had to pull it out.
  • orlando0213orlando0213 Member Posts: 9
    Can any one explain to me that why every time i fill up my gas tank it always fills up to 383 miles on my 09 Toyota Corolla LE.. If im averaging 35 miles in my car and my gas tank is 13.2 gallons it then should be reading 462 miles. Is this correct? I fell that the miles to empty is giving me the wrong readings.
    A little off topic for this thread but you can see my response on "toyota problems and repairs".
  • deathseye63deathseye63 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know where to get the audio schematics for this car
  • dmiller29dmiller29 Member Posts: 6
    I know it is summer now, but has anyone had problems in cold weather with your 2009 Corolla producing warm enough heat? I took mine to the dealer in March and he replaced the thermostat. Was a bit better, but today in Ohio at 52 degrees, I was running the heater at high temperature on low fan, and I still didn't need to turn it down. It never seemed very warm. Anyone else concerned with the heater? Any suggestions?

Dave
  • nilsonnilson Member Posts: 1
    How can i remove the radio from my 2005 toyota corolla
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    - park it in NYC,
    - go get a cup of coffee and wait 5 minutes,
    - comeback and radio will be out for you.
    - don't wait longer than 5 minutes or wheels will be off as well.
    The steps:

1. disconnect battery lead because of air bag sensors
    2. pop off trim around shifter stick
    3. remove center knob on the A/C panel. Remove phillips screw behind the knob. This is the only screw that has to come out (in addition to the 4 radio screws)
    4. pull the a/c console forward. It's a tight fit but it's only held by clips. This was the most difficult part for me because I didn't want to break anything. It eventually released after pulling with constant pressure.
    5. pull the air vent assembly off around the radio. This is also a tight fit, is only secured with clips. The radio face plate came off with this piece.
    6. Remove 4 10mm bolts at bottom of radio. I used putty on a 10mm socket to help hold the bolt from falling down into the dashboard. Lose these bolts and you'll easily add several hours to the job trying to fish them out of the dashboard.
  • eibrowneibrown Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2009 Corolla LE, and so far, I'm impressed. However, the stock speakers are cheap, and I want to upgrade them.
    Does anyone have instructions and illustrations (pictures) on how to remove the rear deck plastic cover to get to the speakers? It looks like a bear to remove. Your help would be much appreciated.
    I suppose if you have tips and illustrations of the front door panel removal with power windows and locks, that would be helpful, too. I will probably replace the front speakers eventually.
  • xmradiomanxmradioman Member Posts: 2
    Go to Crutchfiled.com. They have speaker upgrades and complete install guides that are free.
  • xmradiomanxmradioman Member Posts: 2
    Crutchfield.com that is
  • lag3lag3 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had this problem? I bought my 2009 Corolla in May of last year. My radio has poor reception and static. I've had Toyota look at it several times and they tell me the radio "is working normally". They replaced it once, same problem. They've checked the wiring and antenna and say all is working correctly. Due to recall work, they've given me two loaners, same issue with the radios. Bottom line, I'm stuck with a bum radio unless I move forward with arbitration. Anyone else with this problem?
    First I'm hearing about it. I got the JBL upgrade with bluetooth and satillite. 400 watts of power really can shake, the car without distortion. This radio really rocks! Good luck with your repair. What were the recalls all about?
  • lag3lag3 Member Posts: 2
    Actually, I'm not sure it was an actual recall but a documented problem, I think they replaced a strut mount. As far as the radio goes, I think it's just a poor quality radio they put in the car, unfortunately, it sounds so bad I can't listen to it. I either have to live with it or go through arbitration with Toyota and see what they will do. Meanwhile, I'm wondering if anyone else is dealing with the same issue.
    Yea a bad radio is not what you would expect in a new car. I haven't really heard of anyone else posting about a bad radio though. It sounds like you were unlucky not just once, but twice with your new car. I hope both issues get resolved for you ASAP.
  • iandudeiandude Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2010 Corolla a month ago, and I notice the same problem. I am scheduling an appointment to bring the car in, but I don't like what I have heard concerning your result, Tom. Have you had them listen to it while you are in the car with them? It's ridiculous. They should at least upgrade the radio. Stuff like this p@#@es me off. I hate having to deal with this crap.
  • ljaaljaa Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased 2010 Corolla, took back to dealer twice as AM radio goes in and out,mostly does not work at all outside metro area. Signal fades and goes off altogether. Dealer says nothing wrong. Much too much money for radio that doesn't work. Class action against Toyota possible?Anyone else with same situation and reaction?Thanks.
  • mantechmantech Member Posts: 28
    Your radio requires a calibration or RF alignment, something to do with this coil or digital RF range sensitivity. Usually symptoms happen when you are around 10 or greater miles away. My Matrix 09 has AM reception problem. When I drive close below transmission or power lines it gives me a humming noise. But yours is very similar to Aveo5, If I'm away from the metro area, sounds staticity, muffled sound so crappy. Better take it to electronic technician specialized in Radio Communication. Toyota should replaced it anyway (If it's under warranty) :)
  • mvechiclemvechicle Member Posts: 1
    I also recently purchased a 2010 Corolla. I booked an appointment with the Toyota dealership service department in regards to poor radio reception. They checked the antenna & wiring, no problems. They replaced the radio, and still there is poor reception & static. I had the mechanic sit in the car and listen to the radio and he agreed that the reception is bad. Advised that I drive it away from the dealership and see if I get better reception on this new radio in other parts of the city. I don't. At some point I will take the car back to the dealership, but I don't have much hope that there will be a solution. Perhaps the radios in the Toyota Corollas are of poor quality. I have a friend who bought a 2009 Corolla, same problem.
    An upgrade from the standard radio package to the JBL 400watt sound system provides 8 speakers, multiple C.D. player, satellite radio and blue tooth phone. Most of all this system really rocks as the volume can be turned very high with very minimal distortion. Tuning this radio to A.M. or F.M. is excellent as well. It was well worth the extra cost.
  • stenicstenic Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. Thanks to tomgee and imdante for the instructions on removing the audio systems I've got mine out from my 2005 Corolla.

My problem was that there appeared to be no power to the audio system. I checked the fuses but they all seem ok and the other itmes that share that fuse (internal lights etc... as I understand it) all worked fine.

I wondered of the power cable was loose (my electrics had been repaired after a previous frying - don't ask) but on removal of the audio the power cable was fine.

So, before I go and buy a new system can any one think of a reason my whole audio unit is not working?

By that I mean no display, no clock, no mpg, no CD playing (and one stuck in the tray), no radio etc... Nada.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve
    Before buying a new system did you eliminate the possibility that there is no power to the system as you first thought? How about checking the connector with a volt meter?
This discussion has been closed.