Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Tires and Wheels

2001_trd2001_trd Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Toyota
I recently had a blowout on the left rear of my '01 TRD double-cab, and was wondering the best on-line prices for a replacement tire (oem). I already checked a few tire places here in the SF Bay Area, and more than one said that that tire has been discontinued (but they'd be more than happy to sell me a full set of updated replacements...gee, who woulda' thought?). I currently am using my spare but don't want to place further unecessary mileage on it. Can someone point me in the right direction for a replacement tire that costs less than the $160 these guys are asking? Thanks!

Comments

• andriod8000andriod8000 Member Posts: 1
    iam wondering what the biggest tire and what the best fitting tire would be best for a 2001 2wd prerunner? thanks
  • sugarman1sugarman1 Member Posts: 92
    I am shopping around for a new set of tires and located Tirerack.com and did some research and found raving reviews from owners about Destination ATs for perfomance looks and price. I would like to find some input from Tacoma owners whom have these tires on thier trucks and what they think about this tire. My personal criterias are #1 any loss of miles per gallon in using these as compared to the original equipment tires,on tireracks website the specs are 2 lbs.heavier for the Destinations than the stock wheels,does this extra weight noticably lower the mpg's? #2 How is the look of the tire mounted,A tougher looking off road stance other than the wimpy oem look,I want a thicker looking tread design, but not rock crawling mud-terrain tire I am sticking to the oem size P265-70r16 mounted on Aluminum alloy TRD rims.Most of my driving is on road highway and very light offroad.#3 By all accounts on tirerack website reviewers gave this tire raving reviews on handling in all terrains and exceptional quiteness on the highway for a AT tire and the price is right,I would just like feedback from some Tacoma owners about thier experience with these tires because I dont think I can go wrong if they meet the criteria above for my needs. If anyone could suggest another better tire they have used please post. Thanx :shades:
  • rigger1rigger1 Member Posts: 2
    My truck follows the rain grooves on the highway.
    I think Toyota has made a mistake and in some sort of cost cuting measure. I believe either larger tires of a better set of struts might solve this problem. So far Toyota has done a very poor job responding to my safety concerns.
    Am alone? Any advise would be nice.

Shawn
  • msibillemsibille Member Posts: 275
    I'm not at all clear on what the problem is that you're talking about. Since nobody else responded, maybe we're all a little confused. Can you explain further?
  • rigger1rigger1 Member Posts: 2
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    The only thing that I have driven that didn't follow the grooves was a helicopter. I don't understand the tire size complaint. The 265/70 16 is the equivelent of a 31X10.50 16, which has always been considered oversize tires. I don't understand the strut issue either. If keeping the tires on the road, it would be a strut issue. Sounds like they are staying very well if the truck stays in the grooves. It is possible (likely) that you are in grooves created by semis which have a wider track and you are riding up one of the grooves. The only way to fix that is to widen the truck.
  • ata3001ata3001 Member Posts: 30
    I replaced my original Dunlop 265/70x16's with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos. These tires are, to say the least, incredible. Best tires I've ever owned. Period.
  • tomrbuktomrbuk Member Posts: 4
    I researched the Firestone Destination AT last spring for my '95 Tacoma 4x4, and actually went in the store to buy them ... everything seem okay, but I waivered in the end, mainly because I wanted to mount the blackwall side out ( I can't stand raised white letters, period ). The blackwall side of the tire did not have a rugged enough look for my taste. Turns out, it was the best decision I ever made on tires, because I drove away with the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's. I can't begin to tell you folks how awesome this tire is !! It is worth the extra $220 ( for the set ) to me. I do 80% of my driving on city streets now, and the tire pressure can be lowered to the 32-34psi range for a super soft ( and unbelievably quiet ) ride. If you are carrying a load, just bump them up to 38-42, and tow away. Without a doubt the best tire I've ever driven.
    I totally agree with your assessment of this tire. I replaced the older model Bridgestone Dueler 31x10.5x15, with the computer-designed Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos.
    They are awesome tires for the highway, even though the tread pattern remains very aggressive.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "computer-designed Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos"

Is anything mass-produced not computer designed these days? ;)
  • sba012sba012 Member Posts: 1
    i bought a tacoma 4 door prerunner TRD 4-24-06 and had a set of firestone destination ATs ( P265-70r16 )put on the very next day. they were strongly recommended by a good friend of mine who works at a auto shop. i've never in my life been more satisfied with a tire. it's aggressive enough to give my truck a little more flavor, but at the same time very quiet and smooth on the road. it was also inexpensive and kept me from going broke on tires. i havent tested the gas mileage yet but as soon as i do i'll let you know.
    Please post when you get the gas mileage stats because for me this will be the reason to buy or not to buy Firestone Destination ATs,I know everyone loves Desert Dueler Revos and am sure they great but I also know you'll lose 2MPG's with them and with gas prices soaring I dont want to lose any MPGS if I can. Stock tire weight is 37lbs.,Destination AT weigh 39lbs.,Revos are 41lbs. I think,this extra weight plays into gas mileage numbers. If any body has MPG stats for AT or other on/offroad tires please post your results will be definetly appreciated.
    I find it hard to believe that 16 pound heavier tires will drop the mileage at all. They couldn't sell any if that was the case. Getting into the mud boggers might have an effect due to the style, but the revo is not a radical tread. I know for a fact that my Tundra did not lose any mileage with them installed after the stocks wore out.
    The Revo's did not decrease my gas mileage stats. In fact, I think they may have added 1 MPG to the highway numbers. The additional weight of the four tires (16 lb over the stock tire) is not a real factor to consider ... it is no different than carrying a bowling ball around in the back seat ! The more important factor in the mileage stats for a tire is the agressive tread design. The Revo overcomes the tread design issues with it's unique offset pattern. However, I'll bet that you won't see any mileage decrease with the Destination ATs; unless, that is, you are trying to achieve the same fuel economy rating as a pure highway radial suited for a passenger car.
    I am glad to hear that REVOS dont decrease gas mileage in your case but I have noted other Tacoma owners on other websites claiming the lose of 2MPGs on REVOS as compared with stock BFG. Thats the dilema I find myself stick with the stockers or go for a AT type tire same size and possibly lose MPGs,I want a better looking tire but hate to lose MPGs with these gas prices and it doesnt look to get better anytime soon. To go from 21mpg to 19mpg doesnt sound like a lot but I use the Truck as a daily driver and a commuter to work which can be 100 miles total a day. Thanks for your input.
    Anyone claiming they lose over 10% mileage with these tires is full of, well, you know. Unless they went with a different size, it is not possible. Someone, somewhere is a REVOS HATER. I prefer BFG and Goodyear myself, but it is unfair to let the competition be beaten down with lies. Atleast they could have said that the traction is worse. That is possible and subjective.
    Its possible that they were talking about P265-75-r16 size which is taller I dont think they are Revo haters thier just talking about thier experience putting on Revos on Tacoma. Confucious say a wise man listens to advice while the fool screws up and gets bad gas mileage.
    If they did go up to the 75s, it would show about a 4% drop in mileage as the odometer would be off by that much. Add in a tiny amount of extra power to turn a taller tire and they may come in near an indicated loss of mileage of 6 or 7% maybe.
    Yes that was probably the case I am going to give a hard look at the Destinations and try to visualize how they would look on my truck if I go with REVOS definetly blacks out. I am sticking with stock size hope can find happy medium with my choice I think both are probably excellent choices based on what owners have commented.
  • msatcmsatc Member Posts: 4
    I have OEM Michelins LTX M/S (265/70 R16) with 94,000 miles on them. Been a great tire with treadlife remaining, but time to replace them (other issues). Looking at Firestone Destination LE's, Dayton Timberline HT's or Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas. Would appreciate any feedback on any of these tires or others fellow Tacoma owners would recommend with a 60,000 (+) mile warranty. Usage is mostly highway or city driving.
    From what I hear Firestone LE is a great tire for the needs you state and a fantastic bargin for the price they are,I posted for the Destination ATs and am still running stockers BFs no rush, for me my deal is I want an AT tire that looks chunky with very little or no loss of MPGs anybody running Destination ATs on V6 Taco please post results and mpgs much appreciated,Check out Tirerack.com for customer reviews.Hands down out of those three I would definetly pick LEs no doubt.
    Ended up going with the Bridgestone Dueler H/T Alenza's. I was able to get a great deal (buy 3, get 1 free). The decision was a tough one b/w the Firestone Destination LE's and the Bridgestone. I read several consumer reviews through Tirerack.com as well as other sites and there were complaints about poor treadwear and that scared me off a bit from the Destination. Further research supported the Dueler Alenza's as a superior tire, so I spent the $100 more for peace of mind. I drive about 30,000 miles a year and need tires I can count on as well as perform well and look good. So far, I am impressed, but will post a review when I've really had a chance to evaluate them. Thanks for your opinion sugarman1.
    Good luck with the tires,I think Bridestone and Firestone have joined forces or maybe merged in some respect because Destination AT and Bridgestone REVOS use the same technology called Uni-T treads so the may offer the same rubber compounds in some respect.
  • rupert2rupert2 Member Posts: 3
    Looking forward to your initial post on the Dueler Alenza's! I just bought a cream puff '04 Prerunner Double Cab this past weekend with only 15K miles, and two of the stocker BF Rugged Trails are already in bad shape. They apparently were not rotated properly, and went down too many hot dusty gravel roads in South Texas. There is already evidence of dry rot cracking in the tread groves, and the outside tread beads are rounded off significantly. I will go with the Dueler Alenza, Dueler HT, or Michelin LTX M/S, and try to add only 2 new tires on the front for the first 6-8K mi, then reavaluate the condition of the remaining stockers. Congrats on the 90K miles on your Michelins. I would have thought you would have stuck with the LTX after such good service, but a 3 for 1 deal sounds too good to pass up ! Bridgestone also seems to have a pretty decent technology edge going right now (or at least their marketing information is better, giving the appearance of an edge)!
    Already have about 800 miles on the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's in the past week and absolutely LOVE them so far! The difference was immediately noticeable.....smoother, quieter ride with excellent handling on dry pavement (no rain yet to test them out on). Granted, the Michelin LTX M/S' were a very good tire, but after 94,000 miles they were definitely past their prime. After much research, I opted for the Alenza's because of the technology, quality for the price (cheaper than Michelins) and the look with the OWL is a nice compliment to the '02 Pre-Runner body style....it's a tough looking tire with the ride of a mid-size sedan (in my opinion). I will post my initial review after I get at least 3000 miles on the tires so I can give it a more credible rating. BTW, Firestone / Bridgestone is having a buy 3, get 1 free deal sale at the moment....might want to check that out to see if that is a national sale - that was a clincher for me.
  • sfrye718sfrye718 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2006 Prerunner with standard factory steel wheels. I bought a slightly used set of 2005 OEM alloy wheels, and was told by the installer that the pressure sensor on the factory wheels would not fit the 2005 rims, and by not installing them would mess up the truck's computer? Anyone ran into this while installing replacement wheels for the 2006's? I can't find anything on this topic on the web.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Not true. The sensor on each wheel is built into a special valve stem. Take a look at your valve stems and you will see that they are kind of big compared to regular valve stems. They have some sensor inside. You just take the valve stem off of your 06 wheels and put them on the 05 wheels. They just screw in.

If you don't want to use the sensors at all, there is also a way to de-activate the whole tire pressure montitoring system. Some people find it annoying to use. E-mail me if you want info on how to disable the TPMS. It won't mess with the computer, BTW.
    "If you don't want to use the sensors at all, there is also a way to de-activate the whole tire pressure montitoring system. Some people find it annoying to use."

Got a link?

I don't have the system, but know someone who does. We drive the Cape Cod National Seashore in the summer and run 9-10 PSI. I'm sure his TPMS isn't going to like it. :D

Thanks!
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the tip. The installer also said that the issue was the angle of the '05 rims. He said that the sensors were made specifically for the steel wheels, so that that sensor would fit flush against the curvature of the the wheel. However, I have read nothing on websites for aftermarket wheels for the Tacoma that mentions this being a problem, and I doubt seriously that all aftermarket wheels have the same "curvature" as the '06 steel rims.
  • eswartzeswartz Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2004 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4DR V6 2wd and have noticed that at certain speeds, the tires start to shake some (thus the truck). It drives me crazy. These aren't the factory tires, in fact there the ones that came with it when I bought it used. I have owned a 1988 Toyota 4wd some time ago and at certain speeds it did the same thing. On that truck it was BF Goodrich's and on this truck someone put "China" Runway Enduro HT P265x70xR16's on there. I wonder if they just need rebalancing, or am I right and they are just junk and all Toyota P/u's shake somewhere in MPH land. Any opions, suggestions, or is everyone else Taco just as smooth as can be (for a truck at least)?

I was looking at some threads talking about tires and tireshack.com. Pretty good prices if I have to buy new ones.

P.S.: Does anyone know what was OEM for a 2004 Taco Prerunner V6 SR5?

:cry:
    Sorry to hear of your trouble. I have an '01 (same make / model), but have not experienced the vibration you speak of at certain speeds. However, I do get this with braking at speeds in excess of 30 mph. I believe it is the rotors more than anything else. They warp so much more easily now than other vehicles I have owned....even earlier model Toyo truck -- just one puddle while driving in stop and go traffic (city driving) and it could happen to I have been told. Never heard of the tires you have, but do highly recommend the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's. Expensive, but worth it.
  • rupert2rupert2 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a used 2004 Tacoma SR5 PreRunner 4DR L4 2wd, and I also found the truck had an annoying 'shake' at 72-76 mph, on the original OEM tires (BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A P265-70R16 111T), with only 14,700 miles on the tires!I have since replaced 2 of the OEM tires with Michelin LTX M/S (on the front), and the difference in the ride comfort and noise level was like night and day. I couldn't be happier with the new tires, but, the 'shake' still exists at 72-76 mph on smooth Interstate pavement. I am stumped by this situation, and I plan to put the remaining OEM tires through some balancing experiments to see if the problem goes away; otherwise, I will throw them in the trash heap with the other two, and replace with all Michelins. As a loyal Toyota follower for over 20 years, I just can't accept that there is a deeper issue here than bad tires.

As a note, I test drove several other '04 trucks in the 22-32,000 mile range before buying this one, and the ride and handling from the OEM BF Goodrich tire was unacceptable in each test drive ! I don't recommend the OEM tire to anyone. I think many 2004 PreRunners are being traded off right now because of tire handling issues alone ... and, of course, the allure of the 'new' mammoth 05/06 body style. I will report my results on this problem in the coming weeks.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Get the new Wrangler Silent Armors. They're Awesome! Check google for reviews.
  • mikey21mikey21 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Toyota Guys , I recently purchased a 2005 4runner Sport edition with 12,000 miles on it , the truck was mint except that I thought the tires looked like they had more miles than what the odometer was showing.
    After owning the 4runner for a few weeks , while we were driving it home from a Sunday outing I noticed a warning lite flashing on the dashboard , it turned out to be the tire pressure warning lite !
    After getting the truck home I check the tire pressure in all the tires including the spare tire , only to find the spare was flat. I took the spare down and found it had five punctures in it ! I plugged all five holes and fill all the tires to the proper pressures only to find the warning lite was still on. We took the 4runner to Toyota and were informed ALL our pressure sensors were missing and they wanted $800 to reinstall them !
    I told the service manager that thats the way they sold the truck to me and that they owed me the sensors since they must have swapped away the tires that came with our truck from the factory before we purchased it, the service manager told me that that was impossible because the warning lite would have been flashing from the minute we took the truck.
    Can anyone tell me if the dealer could have disabled the tire pressure warning lite for a temporary amount of time so I wouldn't know the tires with the sensors were swapped away to someone else ??
    Also as I look further into this problem I notice my rims were not the same as other 2005 4runner sport models or any other Toyota model with the tire pressure warning system , in that the rim with the sensors has a much larger cut out on the rim to mount the pressure sensor to, and the rims on my truck have a small hole with a rubber stem coming out of them , which looks much to small to fit the tire pressure sensor to.
    Can anyone tell me how to shut the warning lite from flashing until I can get this matter settled in small claims court !
  • vincewood30vincewood30 Member Posts: 48
    I tried everything to get the light to go off on my 06. I had a 05 Tacoma with alloy rims and made the dealer put them on my new truck. I tore the whole dash apart to take the bulb out..there isn't 1 it's like a computer component in there. I just live with the light for now, I've had my truck since February and it's only got 3,000 miles on it. I drive my work van for the most part nowwa days.
  • jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    Here it is, plain and simple.

Truck delivered with Bridgestone Duelers, replaced due to recall we all know about. Absolutely great when new, no argument.
    These tires had air pressure checked every week, were rotated every three weeks, four wheel alignments every six months. Never driven off road, hard or abused. Tires wore to wear bars at 1/2 tire life.

Replaced tires at pro-rate price or 2/3's of new cost plus mounting, warranty, disposal, etc.

These tires lasted 1/2 of the tire life under the same conditions as the previous set.

I'll never buy these tires again because.

1. You buy new tire, lets say at $100.00 ea. with warranty for 'X' miles.
    2. You maintain tires above requirements.
    3. Tires wear to wear bar at 1/2 of 'X' miles.
    4. You replace at 2/3's or $75.00 ea. plus other dealer cost.

Net: You paid $175.00 ea. plus dealer cost twice to go the original miles you paid for at day one.

Not a bad marketing plan, warranty a tire that will go 1/2 the distance, have the customer pay 2/3's to replace providing they can prove they maintained the tire to warranty requirements.

Now doesn't this make you feel good about Bridgestone???
  • nytaco05nytaco05 Member Posts: 13
    I am looking into putting some 22s on my 05 TACO. I thought of putting some 22x9.5 for the rear and 22x9 for the front. Would this set up affect my daily driving? If so, Would 22x9.5 be too big for the front wheel well?

I need some Feed Back please. Thanks.
  • nytaco05nytaco05 Member Posts: 13
  • seranikoseraniko Member Posts: 27
    does the tps from 06 oem steel rims fits 05 oem trd alloys rims? anybody done this before?
  • goose55goose55 Member Posts: 6
  • goose55goose55 Member Posts: 6
    I have the five spoke custom alloy wheels on my 1995 Tacoma SR5 and with all the miles, they do look like they need care beyond wax. I do detect that the metal does have a coating. Does anyone know what material I might refinish them with after abraiding them with some emery cloth?
    2 types of sensor, one for steel wheels and one for alloys. so u need to get the tpms for alloys to make it work for the o6 taco. pricey i know.
  • mycajahmycajah Member Posts: 2
    I feel the same way about the Duelers on my 99 Tacoma. They didn't get the mileage and began to cup half way through the life of the tire. Maybe the cupping is my fault; I put 12,000 miles on them before rotating. At this point the tires were loud enough for friends to notice. 14k later, they are worn out. I never would have thought of rotating every three weeks. This is not my field and jargon may be off here, but I believe that the Duelers increase lateral instability. Lately at 65-70 mph, I don't like the way the truck feels when changing lanes, it's much worse if the movement is quick, like when trying to avoid a javelina. I am not thinking about new Duelers even though the dealer promised a good deal.

The question remains, what next? A good friend is a tire engineer and he tells me that car manufactures develop models with a tire in mind, so I should consider going with the OE tire, a Dunlap. I had Goodyear Wrangler ATs on my 1986 Toy and really liked them.

I would appreciate comments and suggestions. :confuse:
  • ryanhokie2001ryanhokie2001 Member Posts: 7
    I already posted this on the general Tacoma board but I figured that I would post it on here since this forum is specifically for Tires. I recently got a Silver Streak TRD Off Rd 4x4 Double Cab with Tube Steps...pretty sweet!!!! It seems to really be "pulling" to the left when driving on the highway and the steering wheel has some shake at high speeds above 65 or so. Just curious if this is a normal thing you guys have experienced with the bigger BF 265 tires or if it needs to be alligned? Keep in mind it is right off the lot...bought it with 9 miles on it. I checked the tire pressure and they are all set right around 29 to 30 PSI with the rear tires having a little more pressure. I have the 265/70-16 BFGs. On the inside of my door it recommends the cold tire pressure be set to 29 on the front tires and 32 on the back tires. Is this normal to have the back tires need more pressure? What PSI should I set the tires to and do you think my problem has to do with the tire pressure or if it is an allignment/balancing issue? Thanks!
  • latigolatigo Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Tacoma extra cab with 265/70-R16s. The doorjamb states 29F/32R – BUT – stipulates that pressure is for the 225/75-R15 tire size. I suspect you have the same, but I’ve heard that same year/make/model/trim cars can actually have different doorjamb plates with different tire information (regional?). I called up the local Toyota dealership and of course they have absolutely no clue on what the optimal-wear tire pressure should be. I called up a local high-end performance tire place (Stokes Tires, in Santa Monica California) and a guy there suggested I run 32psi all the way around – and regardless if I’m carrying my motorcycle in the back or not. So I’m still left wanting.

Logically, if you carry heavy weight I the bed, you’ll want more air so the tire holds the proper shape (does not balloon). Likewise if you pretty much never carry anything heavy in the bed, you’ll actually want to use less air to maintain proper tire shape, and thus even wear.

All that being said – I’m going to stick with 32psi all the way around and see the wear patterns for myself – then adjust as needed. Traditionally I’ll actually over compensate – if my tire’s middle is wearing thin, I’ll put too little air in the tire to get the use of the outer edge (and vise versa). The main thing is to check the pressure regularly so you can catch them if the pressure starts to go off in one or more tires (valve inconsistency?), thus you get consistent wear feedback for what tire pressures you’ve chosen.

It’s VERY important to measure your pressure under consistent conditions. Just driving the car down to the gas station will heat up the tire (because of carcass flex), and increase the tire pressure. The pressures given above should be flat-cold in the morning or evening, and after many hours of non-use.

Interestingly on my motorcycle, out at a track day, it’s all about tire temperature for grip, not pressure. The front tire is roughly half the volume of the rear, and I use 33psi in the front, and 34 in the rear on an average day. The rule of thumb is to shoot for 10% increase in pressure in the front and 20% increase in the rear (which is an abstract approach to getting the correct TEMPERATURE from tire pressure). So when I come in from a run the tires should be about 36.5 in the front, and 41 in the rear. Starting with less air pressure will make the tire bulge, and cause much more friction in the tire as it roles, heating up the tire more, and increasing the % different between cold/hot.

I kind of went off topic, but maybe this helps with overall knowledge of the processes going on. I am certainly no expert.
  • tap562tap562 Member Posts: 1
    I have a nearly identical problem with an '06 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab, but with 265/65-17 Dunlops. At speeds above 55 mph the steering wheel shakes and the truck continually wants to pull left. The wheels were balanced several times, tires have been checked, pressures set at recommended 29 lbs, and the truck was aligned twice. The dealer finally contacted Toyota and found there is "a known problem with the proportional valve in the power steering" on this truck. The "fix"(?) essentially dampened the problem, but did not eliminate it. The steering wheel vibration is not as excessive as it once was, but it still exists. And, the truck still pulls left. Has anyone else experienced these problems with an 05/06 Tacoma??
    is the spare on an 06 tacoma equiipped with tpms also. place i had the rims replaced claimed that the steel spare rims did not have tpms.
This discussion has been closed.