Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Tires and Wheels

Comments

• coecoe Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Double Cab PreRunner. The tire size on this model is 245/75R16. I want to get new tires that are a little bigger, maybe wider as well, but the sales people at Firestone tell me that going any larger than the factory recommended tire size will cause rubbing on turns. I've seen other Tacomas (although they are a few years older) that have larger tires...265/70R16. Did Toyota put smaller tires on the PreRunner Tacomas this year? How much larger can I go without having to lift the truck and avoiding any rubbing on turns. It seems that the sales people at Firestone are sure of their recommendation but how is it that other Tacomas I've seen have larger tires??
    Also, which is a better tire to go with, BF Gooodrich AT or the Firestone Dueler (is the Dueler Revo better than the regular Dueler, what's the difference)?

Any input is greatly appreciated as I don't want to make a dumb purchase I'll regret later.

Thanks!
  • mjp29mjp29 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 4WD Tacoma SR5 extra cab has these tires from the factory.

Around 30,000 miles, I noticed abnormal wear on the outer part of the tires. A tire dealer told me (for a $20 alignment check) it needed to be shimmied up so wear wouldn't occur on the outside of the tires (even though their alignment system said it was in range of good alignment). Decided to take it to a Toyota dealer. Took it to a Toyota dealer and had it aligned for $90 - even though the print out said it was only off 0.02 on the front (which I suspect it was within factory alignment and didn't need aligned but they didn't offer an alignment check - was told once it's entered into the computer you get an aligment (end of story) but that's another post I suppose.

Now, at the next oil change (asked for rotation also) the tires are abnormally wearing on the inside of the tires. The oil change company asked if I had bad suspension or something and said at 35psi my tires shouldn't be wearing like this on the sides since that's more pressure than Toyota recommends for the tires (something like 26 and 28 psi).

What puzzles me is that I've been running them at 35psi for a while and suspect they should be wearing on the middle of the tires if anywhere.

I'm at 37,000 miles and will buy new tires soon, but I wonder if this truck has a problem and will just chew up the edges of the new tires I have installed.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Donahoe Racing coilovers and shocks, Boze Alloys Stinger wheels, Wrangler Silent Armor 275/70/17

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    VERY NICE TACO! :)
  • kbshadowkbshadow Member Posts: 22
    My 05 4 door TRD 2WD does the same thing, not much shake but pulls left and wanders right and left on a streight flat road.
    Only have 5000 miles on it and put Mitchlin tires on it when I bought it.

Had it aligned 5 times, 2 at the dealer and 3 at a Hunter alignment shop.
    All said its in specks.
    Stuck on what to do next, thanks for the info on the valve.
    Does yours wander on the freeway????

Thanks
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471

• mycajahmycajah Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma with 140,000 miles. I have been experiencing road noise above 20 mph for quite a while. I thought that it was the tires, but recently bought new tires and still have the noise. It appears to be the bearings which my mechanic tells me are sealed. I jacked the truck up and can not feel any problems, no rough places as I spin the wheel, no play, no wobble. I can't feel any problem on the highway. I will fix this, but the question is how fast? Anyone else know of noisy sealed wheel bearings?
  • flyguy8flyguy8 Member Posts: 8
    Ive had the same problem with my 2004 TRD w/stock BFG Rugged Trails,when I took in the truck to the dealer for the lower ball joint recall told them to rotate tires at that time but did not bring up the feathered edges on the front tires. For some unexplained reason after the ball joint replacement and rotation of tires they were not feathering anymore? I run all my tires at 33psi cold and may lower it a little to 32-32.5 psi,maybe running the tires at 35psi all round feathers the fronts somehow because I was running 35psi all round when my fronts feathered on the outside also,try lowering the tire pressure down a little,I wasnt about to pay for a front end alignment on my brand new truck so Im glad it worked out for me so far. :blush:
  • flyguy8flyguy8 Member Posts: 8
    After reading some positive and negitive vibes with Dueler Revos and am looking to get some input into Desination AT by Firestone,if anyone is running them on a 1995.5-2004 Taco 4 wheel drive please post your results. For the price and reviews on Tirerack.com I like what Im reading. I would be running stock size mostly highway,light offroad,concerns are Fuel mileage,ride comfort,good wearing characteristics,more rugged look than stock. Also looking at Yokohama AT/S or AT tires please comment on your experiences with these tires.Thanx Sugarfly/8 ;)
  • 2004taco2004taco Member Posts: 2
    I checked with Toyota and my 2004 didn't fall in the range of the trucks that were recalled for the lower ball joint recall. I do find it odd that at 35psi they would feather more on the sides because I've always read that more tire pressure causes tires to wear in the middle and lower tire pressure causes wear on the edges.

Anyways, I'll be replacing the tires soon. I may go with the Continental 80,000 mile tires at the big W______ box store and see how they do. They cost just a little more than the Goodyear 50,000 mile tires. Anyone here put Continental tires on their Taco - Continental tires have a good reputation (don't they or do they not?). p.s. 99% of the time my truck is on asphault.
  • mstan77usmstan77us Member Posts: 1
    i bought a 2006 tacoma 4x4 double cab. Its the sport option with 265/65 R17 tires. I am wanting to put a more aggressive off road tire on it but nothign is relaly available in that size. Does anyone know if putting 265/70 R17 tires on the vehicle will work or if they rub against the mud flaps or bottom out? The tire palces i checked into said it would be a close fit and may cause issues in the front. If anyone has replaced there tires to the 265/70 R17 size let me know if you have issues with it. thanks
  • tumwetumwe Member Posts: 7
    I am looking at purchasing a 2007 access cab with TRD offroad and towing package, stock tire size is 265/70R16 BFG Rugged Trail. What I would like to do is swap the OEM rubber for Michelin LTX/AT in 265/75R16 size. Does anybody know of clearance problems or any other issues this larger tire size might cause. We're only talking about a 1/2 inch increase in radius. Thanx for any input.
  • pinebarronpinebarron Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab. My tire pressure warning light won't go off despite there being 32-34 psi in all four original factory tires. Is the spare also monitored? Anyone else have or heard of this problem? The dealer told me 32-35 psi is recommended.
  • rupert2rupert2 Member Posts: 3
    Yes ... this happened to me as well. The spare tire is monitored along with the others.
  • pinebarronpinebarron Member Posts: 2
    How did you fix the problem? Was it the spare or did the dealer have to fix? Thanks for the reply..:)
  • tacovivatacoviva Member Posts: 116
    There's a reset switch near the hood release lever under the steering wheel. Stop the vehicle and hold it in for 10 seconds, then release. It should blink, then remain on. Drive the truck for a bit and it should go off. This will work if the tire pressures have already been set per spec, the sensors are good, and it's not too cold out. Mine did the same thing and that is how I corrected it. It still comes on if it's really cold uot, but once it heats up it goes off.
  • milo8milo8 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Tacoma gets bearly 20 mpg on the highway with Michelin X Radial LT P265/70 R16 tires. Will smaller rims help gas milage? Any suggestions for a tire to improve gas milage? Thanks.
  • woodchuck5woodchuck5 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2005 tacoma, and had a nail puncture on the back left tire. Thought I could get it fixed with a plug easy enough, but the 'techs' at the tire plug place screwed up the sensor. Toyota's techs tell me that I will now, in addition to a new tire, will need a new sensor ($40) and then they will have to 'reprogram the CPU' for $90...WTF????? So now my $10 tire plug is costing $150 + $90 + $40....$290 for a popped tire? Why the heck would they design a system that had to be 're-programmed' in the event of a broken part? I wish I had never bought from Toyota...they take too easily from the consumer...and I will never get a Toyota again. It is sad to see I am not the only one experiencing these problems. :sick:
  • woodchuck5woodchuck5 Member Posts: 2
    Sure thing. I got a tire plugged and thought the plug was failing, but when I manually checked the pressure it was fine, perfectly set. Apparently when the 'tire plug tech' did the job, they can 'nick the sensor' or break it with the tire removing device. So my $10 tire plug fix is probably going to cost $300 now because they have to remove the bad sensor and replace it, then reprogram the TPMS which costs about $90. This is terrible because tire pops are common and shouldn't be lumped into a new category of a 'major' repair, but Toyota has managed to do just that.
  • 05tacotrd05tacotrd Member Posts: 1
    My BFG Rugged Trails didn't last until wear out. At about 16,000 miles, within a month I had 3 flats on separate tires. The tally is: One flathead screw driver, one screw in the sidewall, and a nail that was patchable. Granted, there has been a lot of growth in my city, so construction is no doubt the culprit. But I was unwilling to buy 2 Rugged Trail tires when I wanted BFG A/Ts or M/Ts. So, I went ahead and got 4 new BFG A/Ts from Americas Tire Co, and got the road hazard warranty. So, a question, will a 265/75/16 tire fit in the spare bay underneath the bed? Haven't tried yet. 265/75/16s do not rub with TRD Off Road suspension.
  • cawwiecawwie Member Posts: 15
    Can we just throw new rims and tires on the truck, and say F*#* it? Do we have to worry about this system? What will actually happen? I have seen tacos with custom rims and tires. What is everyone doing? Will it void my factory warranty?

Thanks. ;)
  • ryand82ryand82 Member Posts: 1
    About 5 years back I put larger tires on my wimpy 1997 2WD Toyota Tacoma truck. Everything was fine until I had those tires replaced. The tire store put on the same size tires, but with a much larger tread and now whenever I hit a bump or pull into a driveway, my two front tires rub the top side of the wheel wells.

Is there anyway I can fix this? I was think about having a 1 1/2" lift kit (coil spring spacers ) installed on the front to lift the wheel well away from the front tires. Will this work and are there any better or cheaper options other than getting new tires?
  • kiwi79kiwi79 Member Posts: 10
    Not many notes have been written regarding larger wheel size/tire combinations that will fit the '05 onwards Tacos.
    I want to purchase a second set of rims with tires for road use only, to suit my TRD O/Road D/Cab. The original factory 16's run M/T tires for my off-road work and don't want to blow them out with excessive highway use.
    Does anyone know somebody that is running 20" or 22" wheels? What width rim and tyre sizes are good without clearance problems? (with lift-kits and/or without)
    EG; I'd like to run either 285/40R22's on 22x9's or 285/50R20's on 20x9's. Not sure of the offset needed to achieve either combinations. I look forward to any assistance. Cheers. :confuse:
  • robert90robert90 Member Posts: 1
    Just curious if you were able to find a larger tire to fit. I have the same truck with a 3" lift kit and was told I could fit 285/70x17's on it.

Thanks
  • egm1egm1 Member Posts: 9
    I bought a '07 Tacoma and purchased after market wheels for it. Love the wheels, but the TPMS sensors would not fit the new wheels. Now the TPMS warning light is always on and I can't figure out how to turn it off. I looked at the reset switch and at the fuses. The fuse is grouped with other functions so I can't go that route. The reset switch was of no use.
    Any ideas on how I can delete the warning light?
  • juking2juking2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Tacoma Extended Cab 2WD with 40,000 miles on the original tires. They are Firestone Wilderness HT P205 75R15 97s M+S. They are rated at 60,000 miles, and still have good tread. However, I am beginning to shop for replacements. Can anyone recommend good replacements (competitor or otherwise)? I live in Florida, and I drive mostly on improved roads and highways with very little off road driving. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
  • luvuvrideluvuvride Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2001 doublcab ltd and i bought the michelin-x ltr because i saw them on the landcruiser and liked the look. it's not the knobby type tire you have but rather a muscular wider street tread style that's still rated for offroad. it gives the tacoma a much more authoritative grip and stance driving and a stronger look. we're lucky we have a truck that's so well-balanced that it won't beat up a set of tires so soon...these tires cost more but last forever too. killer ride also
  • lambpharm07lambpharm07 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 access cab. The tires it came with were Dunlop AT20 245/75/16 and are about done for. I am looking to purchase a new set of tires and was wondering if anyone had any advice on a good tire and size. I drive alot on the highway and some off road, probably 85/15% so I'm looking for a tire that does well in all weather conditions and gets good gas mileage but can handle some light off roading. Any suggestions would great. Thanks
  • boondockerboondocker Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 TRD offroad tacoma with 4 doors and was looking to get new tires. I got a steal on a set of Goodyear Wranglers 285-75-16, and was wondering what I should do to get the tires to clear. I want to get some Mojaves with teflon coating by American Racing and when I called a shop, they said 285 would not fit. I saw some "spacers" that gave a 2'' lift in the front and was wondering if they work well and if they would even work. Please let me know....Thanks!!
  • 95tac95tac Member Posts: 2
    I have a '95 Extended Cab Tacoma. It has the factory steel wheels and wheel covers (hubcaps) on it. I have seen a sport/rally type wheel on other Tacomas but have never had the opportunity to ask anyone about them. The logo on the wheels looks like a figure 8 or S and they appear to be a Toyota product. Anyone know what they are called or where I could find some?
  • falcon2falcon2 Member Posts: 3
    Looking for some advice on installing bigger tires on my 08 Tacoma regular cab 4x2. It came with 215/70R15s. I would like to move to 16 inch wheels and maybe 235 size. What advice can I get. Is this going to mess up my gas mileage or speedometer reading?
  • mickster4mickster4 Member Posts: 2
    Did you get an answer? I am wanting to do the same thing and am not sure what size to go to, maybe 17"? Let me know if you come up with anything. Thanks.
    Mick

mickster144@yahoo.com
  • mickster4mickster4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 4 cyl Access cab and want to put larger wheels on my truck. Without a lift kit, does anyone know what size tires/wheels I can install. I also would like to know where to purchase fogs lights, oem. I am told not to use universal.

Mick

mickster144@yahoo.com
  • 1toyman1toyman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 4 door tacoma, put fatboys 2.5" spacer on front and 1" block on back and now 33" tall Bridgestone A/T RH-S LT 285/75R16 on stock wheels. Fit and work great and looks great too. These tires come stock on a Hummer h-3.
  • jadiaz23jadiaz23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 4 door tacoma and wanted to get the same size tires as you. ( 285 75R 16) How much will it cost and what kind of lift should I get?
  • 06tacomaowner06tacomaowner Member Posts: 1
    I would love to know how to diactivate the system. Any help with proceedure would be greatly appreciated.
  • makeshift3makeshift3 Member Posts: 1
    cool what is your mpg with your 285/75/16 and 3 inch lift?
  • hah2hah2 Member Posts: 1
    Long story short, I have two sets of tires; Firestone Destination A/T's and BFGoodrich Long Trails...Which would be the better overall tire to have on a 2002 Toy Taco 4x4..? Both sets of tires are practically brand new and I don't do alot of off-roading..Thanks in advance and be careful out there...
    Also, will tires keep or would they dry-rot?... Any input would be appreciated!!
  • tomrbuktomrbuk Member Posts: 4
    I personally have seen really POOR performance with the BFBullcrap Long Trails; they came stock on my 2004 PreRunner, and had to be replaced before 20K miles ( dry rot, rough ride, balancing issues, etc...). I replaced them with Michelins, because I needed a good street tire for commuting, but I strongly considered the Destination ATs because they now use a similar high technology manufacturing process as the Bridgestone A/T Revo. When I owned my 95 Tacoma 4x4 (sigh...), this tire was the best performer I ever tried for combination highway and occasional off-road use.

I would vote for the Firestone tire given the choice between these two !

tomrbuk
  • nocntysdnocntysd Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the brand new Dunlap Grand Trek AT20s (215/70 15) that came with my 2007 Toyota Tacoma? The ratings/reviews of these tires seem low/poor. I'm particularly concerned about wet stopping/hydroplaning. Snow/ice is not an issue where I live. Thanks.
  • nocntysdnocntysd Member Posts: 4
    Any problem going from a 215/70 15 to a 225/70 15? I realize the speedometer will understate speed by 1 or 2 mph.
  • mac240tmac240t Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a set in Nov 09 for my 07 Tacoma 4WD (30k miles), and since then my gas mileage has dropped 15+ percent.

I've owned the truck since new and typically I get around 20mpg or safely drive around 300 miles to the tank, now I'm lucky if I get 260 miles per tank. I'm hoping as the tires wear my gas mileage will improve.
  • mac240tmac240t Member Posts: 2
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "I purchased a set in Nov 09 for my 07 Tacoma 4WD (30k miles), and since then my gas mileage has dropped 15+ percent"

I have an 08 Taco double cab and my mileage goes from 21MPG down to 18MPG every winter. My mechanic says that Toyota's in general use more fuel in the winter (fuel / air ratio) So it might not be your tires or it might be a combination of the 2.
  • truckbmetruckbme Member Posts: 6
    08 SR5 V-6,extended cab, 2wd 42,000 plus miles, Came with Dunlop AT20 Grand Trek P245/75R16
    any suggestions will help, Like good ride, hopefully longer tire wear, no use 4 off road stuff
  • dlimingdliming Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma Double cab w/ P265/70/16 tires. Are these the stock tire? Will any other sizes work? What is meant by "lift"?
    Thanks,
    dliming
  • mountainman10mountainman10 Member Posts: 2
    You sound like a real WUss.... Sell the Tacoma and buy a FORD... Then you will have something to [non-permissible content removed] about..

hehehe...

toodles.. :)
  • tacobill1tacobill1 Member Posts: 2
  • tacobill1tacobill1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a brand new Tacoma with standard rims and tire pressure sensors. I have an opportunity to buy brand new Toyota sport rims and tires with sensors from someone who is doing a lift upgrade. So what I'm wondering is if I just bolt on the new tires, will my truck's system recognize the sensors or will I have to take it to the dealer to sync them up?
  • el_capitanel_capitan Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2008 access cab, 4 x 4, the factory tires are 245/75/16. i have pretty new tires on my pathfinder, 245/70/16. i talked to discount tire and they said swapping out the tires would not be a problem, costco said they wouldn't do it because the 70's are an inch smaller. any thoughts? i am thinking about swapping them out because i am selling my pathfinder and the tires are pretty new.
This discussion has been closed.