Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Miles-Per-Gallon Gauge

95xjjeepster95xjjeepster Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Jeep
JC Whitney sells a product called the Miles-Per-Gallon Gauge that I’m considering installing on my 95 4.0 Jeep Cherokee. It costs about $28 (less shipping) and I hear it’s basically a glorified vacuum gauge. Have anyone heard anything positive or negative about this product, have an opinion one way or the other as to its accuracy and heard how it's installed?

Also, does anyone know of any other aftermarket fuel mileage gauges that compare the actual flow of fuel to the driveline/tire rotation to measure fuel economy? Thanks.

Comments

• jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    You heard correctly. J.C. Whitney has been selling those things since I was a kid (long,long time ago) and they are simply a vacuum guage with a different face......Not in the least bit accurate but will help you improve your driving habits so as to get better mpg.
    Not sure if there is anything else out there that would actually measure fuel economy on your particular vehicle but I doubt it would be as inexpensive if so.
  • 95xjjeepster95xjjeepster Member Posts: 2
    This product appears to be a one-gauge-fits-all type of deal. Would it have to be configured in any way for my particular engine type or is intake manifold vacuum, as it relates to fuel efficiency, the same for all engines? Any idea how this product is installed?
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    One-size fits all.......
    It is nothing more than a standard vacuum gauge measuring intake vacuum. You will have to Tee into a existing line. Kit should include any necessary fittings....if not, any good parts house will have the appropriate fittings to splice into your vacuum line.
  • rjriskrjrisk Member Posts: 1
    My fuel gauge didn't come off of full till I had 300 miles on the car and then it dropped four notches. Is it just my car or are other Prius owners having similar problems? and is there a fix out there anywhere?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Rjrisk, I think I'd ask in the Toyota Prius: MPG-Real World Numbers or the Toyota Prius: Problems & Solutions discussion.
This discussion has been closed.