Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Seeing this Fordt commercial over the last couple weeks. The guy from dirty jobs cable show is interviewing a woman employee at a Ford dealership asking her questions. They are obviously inside a building, Ford dealership, and he has his baseball type cap on while the lady, Fiorina, has not a cap or hat. There is no sun or rain and the guy has a cap. This is disrespectful of women. Wearing a cap in their presence.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    So, what kind of tires do you use when you go on the road rallies in Alaska?

In 2000 we ran studded Pirelli Scorpios S/Ts; back then there were only a few 18" tires that were even remotely suitable. We managed to fit 100 studs per tire, but some of our competitors were running tires with a much higher stud count.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    I'm a little late here, but I just saw this ad for the Accord last night. The one where they are showcasing the safety features as someone is falling asleep, someone who "needs to get to that exit ramp RIGHT NOW" as they put it, someone who needs to stop short, etc.

So... what's the message here? Accord is the car for dumbasses? If you follow too close, don't pay attention, don't know where you are going, and drive when you are too tired, the Accord is the car for you!! :sick:

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Isn't that what this new tech is for? To save people from their own incompetence?

MB had a commercial like that last year, I think - something to the effect of "my car saved me from my own ineptitude".
    oh, of course that's what the tech is for. But how you present it in advertising is a very different task. Some take the stance of "you never know what the world will throw at you." That is a much smarter marketing campaign because you are saying "its not you, it is everyone else!" This Accord campaign is, of course, much more honest, but definitely not appealing to me, at least. Then again, I guess the Accord wasn't designed for me anyway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    A truck stops suddenly in front of them, that doesn't seem too bad.

The Lane Departure one is bad, though.
    A truck stops suddenly in front of them, that doesn't seem too bad.

If following at a safe distance, it wouldn't matter. ;)

How do they measure that? Distance traveled while writing the average text message, times two? :D
    gotta put the latte down first.

Perhaps we shouldn't be so against driver-less cars. I doubt it could get much worse! :D
    For a huge amount of drivers, it seriously would be better. I'd wager they don't want to be actively involved in the driving anyway, to them it is a chore like doing laundry.
    edited November 2011
    No, it couldn't. I was almost run off the road this morning. Focus wanted meld with me, apparently. I mean, it wasn't like I was in his blind spot, I was RIGHT NEXT to him. Ugh.

Last commercial I saw was a rerun of the horribly lame Infiniti ad where the G is catching up to an F1 style car to ask for directions. Terrible.

Also, G37 can now be had for a $319 lease, must have some built up stock of that aged thing.
    End of the life cycle for the current body style. Let's see if it dips below $300. Lux makes are hurting in Europe so they're all looking to make up that volume here.
    Infiniti barely exists in Europe (even less than Lexus) - it's mostly a brand for NA. I suspect this G will end like the E90 3er, with a lot of unsold stock at the end of the last model year. Current one goes back to the 07 model year, one of the oldest designs still on the market. There will be some lease bargains no doubt. The unseen G25 will be even cheaper.
    I saw them as Skylines in Jamaica.
    Might be private imports - Jamaica gets a lot of those. I checked the site and it isn't listed by Nissan Jamaica.

Europe has the Infiniti brand, but the dealership numbers are low, and demand is similar. With the very diverse local offerings (and sometimes iffy styling), it can't be an easy sell.
    private imports translated: drug lord gray market import. ;)
    Exactly. Probably makes for fun car spotting anyway.
    hmmm...so the ideal Lexus owner is a 35 year old who dyes his hair to look older, marries a model, and drives himself to red carpet events? Unique demographic.

Still doesn't look terribly "new" to me, and I wonder what Hyundai execs paid Lexus designers to defect and create the Equus.
    Not that I follow them but I'd expect to see Fiskers (*) and Teslas at red carpet events.

* Fiskers that are not currently on fire.
    But driven by hired help, and used immediately after the passenger got off a thirsty private jet.
    So true...

The last Steven Seagal film I watched leaned toward the green movement, but the funny thing is it had more explosions than any other action film. :D

Dude got heavy and even started singing country. Yikes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wAAnui908Fk

Been seeing this on on TV between the 785 political ads.

Clever.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    passenger got off a thirsty private jet

Made by Honda. :)
    Wonder what the carbon footprint per mile would be on those?
    Mercedes Benz has started their Christmas commercials as of last weekend. Nothing from Lexus yet.

In Chicago metro area, a local Christmas fake tree outlet started advertising their wares on Chicago radio in the first week of October.
    Thankful for my DVR!
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Been seeing this on on TV between the 785 political ads.

I don't know how many of you live in a 'swing' state, but I do (Colorado), so I'll be more than happy to start seeing anything other than a blasted political commercial.

Even the "December to Remember" ads from Lexus are looking good right about now.

I can't believe that I actually typed that!
    Even the "December to Remember" ads from Lexus are looking good right about now.

One can always start now to whistle or hum the classic melody.
    I'm in the DC area and VA is a swing state, so we're being bombarded.

I can't wait until people finally decide who to vote against. ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2012
    It sounds so close, better hope we don't have a month of recounts. :P

Another reason to kill your TV. :D
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    It sounds so close, better hope we don't have a month of recounts.

I'm fully expecting legal challenges in several states, which means we won't know the final results for several weeks.

Good article yesterday (op ed) on CNN about how the US is one of the only countries where elections are controlled at the local level instead of through a federal organization, which fosters fraud, distrust and legal battles.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,810
    Same here... the local TV stations are in Ohio....

What I don't get? One side will advertise, only where their likely voters are listening (like the local red-neck talk radio), but the other side doesn't even run one ad... It's like there is no way to convince anyone that isn't in your "demographic", so don't even try... Just try to get your demographic to the polls..

Whatever happened to trying to sway voters?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/07/remembering-suzuki-of-america-in-commercials/-

The Pez one was funny, I bet both the folks who bought an X90 watched it first.

No wonder they failed, what a bunch of odd commercials.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=itYj-5kyYkQ

Funny thing is they probably think Americans are really like that cowboy they show...
    Ha, I have seen that ad three times so far here. Not a big TV fan and there's less here than at home, but I like "Trodel Trupp" and "Achtung Kontrolle" :shades:
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Haven't heard Depeche Mode in a long time.
    Yeah, you liked the sound but never quite fit in with the girls who listened to them. :D
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    You might remember the ad from a year or so back for the Nissan Maxima - the one where the Z-car owner gets the news from his wife that they're having a baby, and he goes and looks at his Z-car with a look of lament that he will have to get rid of it now, before he starts tugging on various parts of it to make it bigger and through the magic of Nissan's CGI special effects, turns it into a Maxima.

Now Toyota - maybe only in Canada, I don't know - is doing the exact same thing in an ad for the Tundra. Only in this case it's a mechanic-type guy, and he stretches the crankshaft, the brake rotors and calipers, and the body.

It was dumb concept for Nissan, and even dumber for Toyota to steal it. Any ad that relies on CGI is by definition bad, but this one approaches a new low.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha-lMaiJG7c&sns=em

With everyone going after the active lifestyle folks there must be a HUGE opportunity for someone to go after the couch potato niche. :D
    A lot of the "active lifestyle" people are couch potato types who just want to put on a show. I still can't count the amount of ski racks I have seen on cars in Seattle, driven by people I know don't ski. A co-worker even wanted to put one on his Impreza, just for "the look". I told him it might get stolen quickly, if he caught my drift.

I think the full sized truck and SUV market hits a lot of couch potatoes.
    What I've observed around here is the huge body-on-frame SUVs tend to appeal to heavier females, for whatever reason. Maybe the seats are wider/more comfortable?
    That's exactly it, and not making any negative value judgments either. Bigger vehicles (interiors esp) for bigger people. It makes sense.

Funny thing, I once had a co-worker who was big (maybe 6'6" 300+), he for some reason loved the Mazda 5, it fit him but wasn't a huge truck or big boat.
    That's a Mazda3 stretched up and out, so I guess it has lots of room for passengers.

I wish it got some JDM features that aren't available here - AWD, power sliding doors, middle bench, etc. Heck, USA doesn't even get a Navi option any more. They're just not trying to market that model.

And to get back on track...don't think I have ever seen an ad for the Mazda5, either.
    Same here, I don't recall a single ad for it. I remember the first time I saw one, wasnt even sure what it was.
    Indeed, only found one for Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnkHCJ4JBTw

I love how they pronounce it "Mahz-dah". :D