Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mz_cocomz_coco Member Posts: 5
    I too have been having this problem on my !995 Explorer with 148,000 miles but my CHECK ENGINE light comes on periodically and my O/D light flashes all the time. I just had my transmission replaced.
  • ckk4ckk4 Member Posts: 13
    I was wondering if anyone knew what was the easiest way to remove the freeze plug which is located directly at the rear of the block (It's the larger of all of the freeze plugs). Thanks!
  • pbairpbair Member Posts: 2
    My front wipers work fine in fast and slow mode. However, when in interval mode the wipers stop mid-sweep. I have to switch to fast or slow mode to get them moving again, but the blades will never move more than a few inches in interval mode before they stop. I've replaced the multi-function switch (with a new, i.e. not used part), but it has not solved the problem. I've also tried whacking the wiper motor with a hammer as I suspected a dead spot in the motor, but that didn't appear do anything.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
  • cuznverncuznvern Member Posts: 4
    im trying to replace my water pump. Everything seems like something i can do , but how do i take off the fan clutch/ 91 ford explorer
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Don't know specifically about the ford, but watch out for reverse threads (clockwise to loosen, as opposed to clockwise to tighten)....which I've found before. Seems they want the engine spinning to make sure the bolts tighten, as opposed to loosen.
  • mmadden1mmadden1 Member Posts: 17
    I'm looking to replace the OE Michelins--they were fine but snow traction was mediocre--with something better.. I'm considering the Goodyear Triple Tread or Silent Armour.
    They're a bit less expensive than the Michelin but the Triple tread is rated as a snow tire.
    Would appreciate comments-pro and con-from people using these tires.
    thanks in advance.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Yep, I 've done that. Read all the reviews which for the most part are good except the part about reduced gas mileage.
    I'm looking to find ut if anyone on the board has had a similar experience with regards to that.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    not exactly what you are looking for, but i replaced the goodyear ap's on my explorer with the 'good' michelin x-terrains(245 vs. 235 makes all the difference).
    new tires are much quieter, but give up driving feel, wet/snow traction. i still like them. gas mileage is up a tick.
    replaced the original conti's on my wife's escape with goodyear triple treads.
    a bit quieter, great in wet/snow. gas mileage is down about 10 percent. these tires are huge compared to the oem tires, eventhough they are supposed to be the same size.
    i would change down from a 235 to 225, if i had to do it over again.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • exploratorexplorator Member Posts: 1
    I own an 02 explorer and for a while it has had a slight vibration when accelerating. At first I thought it was something wrong with the wheels, however it feels like it happens when the gears are shifting. (automatic 2wd 4.0L V6). It doesn't happen when i start driving in the morning, however it takes about 15-20 minutes for the vibration to start. If i let go of the gas it usually is lost or if I hit the gas really high, it seems to pass it. I am guessing it is something wrong with the transmission and when shifting the gears however I could be mistaken because I do not know much about cars. Lately the vibration has been more pronounced and at times in the highway it has even resulted in somewhat violent shaking. This shaking is worrying me. I have not taken it to anyone yet because the problem does not show unless the car is driven for at least 10 miles or so, so it would be difficult to diagnose unless taken for a long trip. I am hoping that it is something easily fixable.
    Thank you for any help on this,
    Ed
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    02 Explorer XLT V8 4WD
    Had oil change at the dealer about 2500 miles ago and when I checked the oil yesterday, it's grey color. Got worried and went over to a quick oil change place and they said it didn't look like it's oil at all after they looked at it. They said maybe the guy at the dealer put something in there by mistake instead of oil, but I was pretty sure that I checked the oil after that oil change and it was oil. I asked if it's possible that there is water in the oil and they said no because it would have been milky instead. Any idea? Anyway, right now I had the oil changed again and will keep a keen eye on it.
    If you drive it to a mechanic or dealership, it would be warmed up and show the symptoms, right? You're going to need someone to look at it.
  • fordservicesuxfordservicesux Member Posts: 1
    04 Explorer Eddie Bauer 81500 mi. When applying the brakes a pop is felt in the brake pedal and can be heard, and vehicle has slight jolt. Pedal goes slightly to floor. Brakes don't stop as quickly as before the pop. This problem is sporatic. Service can't find any issues with brakes--said it was steering balls and greased them--problem continues to exist. Any suggestions?
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    02 Limited

At about 25,000 miles (3 years ago) heard a creaking noise when the truck first turned on in cold weather. After a few trips to the dealer they finally diagnosed it as a heater core or blend door problem or something like that. 3 days in the shop and i understand they ripped the dash apart to replace the heater core. Now the truck is 5 almost 5 years old, 65k miles, and the noise is back. i'm debating calling ford about it.

Is the creak a nuisance thing or will something eventually fail and need to be replaced?

i figure i might as well call ford and try to get it fixed, because i assume its an expensive repair.
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    They either put in the wrong stuff, or it go contaminated afterwards. Yes, keeping a very close eye on it is the best thing to do for now. I would check the dipstick every day.
    Good Luck.
    E.D. ISF
  • snailsnail Member Posts: 7
    I am having the exact same issue with my car. Could you tell me what you had to fix to resolve the problem?
  • deenamooredeenamoore Member Posts: 1
    Hi there:

Did you ever find out what was going on with your Explorer?I am having the exact same problem with mine...96 XL, no 4-wheel though.

Thanks,
    Deena
  • bdobschbdobsch Member Posts: 1
    My door locks open but will not close except for the tailgate window latch. It both opens and locks. The alarm still works. Seems related to the central security control module. Where ever that is located. Any ideas??????????????
  • gchernyagchernya Member Posts: 11
    I have a strange problem with AC on my Ford Explorer. I have manual climate control, and when I put AC on essentially nothing happen... The AC light is on, but it is working only as a blower... AC system does not power up... I run a quick check under the hood, and clutch, relay, wiring, fuses check ok, but it looks like there is no signal from climate control to the AC... I did try it in the mild weather like 80F... is there some kind of temperature sensor that keeps AC off? Is there some kind of module aside from climate control handles that responsible for this? any clues will be appreciated...
    Do you have enough freon charge in the system?
  • gchernyagchernya Member Posts: 11
    I suppose... I did not check the pressure, but it is some pressure there... but it does not even attempt to start the clutch...
    I don't have the manuals for your vehicle, but many A/C systems have a low pressure sensor which won't allow the compressor to start if it doesn't have a minimum amount of freon charge. That prevents the compressor from getting damaged from not having enough lubricant.

I'm suspecting you have a leak somewhere and have lost your freon.
  • pbairpbair Member Posts: 2
    1997 Explorer XLT
    Had the vehicle to the dealer for a new set of tires and they reported that the lower front ball joints were a "little" loose. Mind you these ball joints were replaced by my original dealer @ 29K. I'm amazed-- truck steering components that won't last more than 20K miles?
    Common or not?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    too bad you already bought the tires.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • troyl1troyl1 Member Posts: 2
    My left rear turn signal is not operating, I have changed the lamp and it still is not working. When I activate the left turn signal the interior arrow indicator blinks rapidly, which I am guessing is letting me know it is not working. I figured if the flasher relay/fuse is out none of the signals would work but all the other turn signals are working correctly.

Any ideas?
    If it blinks fast, it means the current draw is more than is supposed to be. The usual reason is that the filament in one of the turn signal bulbs is broke, and shorted out to the other filament in the bulb.

You need to look very carefully at the turn signal bulbs (front and back), on the side that it is blinking fast (left or right).

There is a slight chance that there is a short in the socket itself that holds the bulb, but almost all the time it is a defective bulb that is the cause of this problem.
  • troyl1troyl1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info, I will replace all the turn signal lamps and see if that does the trick!
    I appreciate the quick response.

Troy
    The left is the one blinking fast, correct? If you already changed the left rear....look at the left front bulb.
    This "little loose" stuff doesn't cut it. When anyone says that to you, you ask them "HOW LOOSE?" Tell them to give you an exact measurement of the looseness. It's better if they measure it with a dial indicator and give you an answer in thousands of an inch, like .020" or .032" or .048". Or at least try to get them to express it in fractions of an inch. The maximum permissable play is 1/16" or .0625", measured at the ball joint itself, not the edge of the wheel. I prefer to change my ball joints when the play exceeds 1/32" or .03125".
    My 1997 Explorer XLT V8 had 140,000 miles on the original ball joints when I replaced the Lower Ball Joints, they had .035" play. The Upper Ball Joints still have no play to this day at 155,000 miles.
    My 2000 Explorer XLT V8 had 128,000 miles on the original ball joints when I checked the Lower Ball Joints in October of 2006, they had .030" play. They will be due to be changed in the fall of 2007. I already have the new ball joints on the shelf in the garage, ready to go. The Upper Ball Joints still have no play to this day at 138,000 miles.
    Both of these vehicles seem to be averaging about the same amount of life out of the Lower Ball Joints, about 7 years/140,000 miles.
    When you buy the new Ball Joints, buy the "better ones", the $35 ones, not the $16 ones. And be sure that they have the Grease Fitting on the bottom, a good name brand like MOOG or TRW, AND BE SURE that you lube them with synthetic grease at each oil change, and you will never have to replace them again. Autozone will rent you the remover/install tool for free when you buy the ball joints from them. You just pay a deposit of about $110, and they refund it when you bring it back with the receipt. Or you can just keep the tool if you want. I kept mine since I have several cars to work on, mine, wifes, and the kids.
    Good Luck,
    E.D. ISF
  • jbny2076jbny2076 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

I have an issue with my explorer. It is a 2003 XLT. If i have the car on and the A/C on and the blower is on 2,3, or 4 the Hazard lights light up on my dash, the radio light dims, the blower will not work and the car will not shift from park. If i shut off the A/C and put the blower back on 1 the radio light goes back to normal, the hazard lights go off and the car will shift from park. This is really starting to bother me. The car seems to do this ever once in a while, but now has been doing it for 2-3 days straight. Anyone had this issue or know what may be causing this? Could a fuse cause all that?
  • 98explorer98explorer Member Posts: 8
    I have a terrible sound coming from the front drivers side wheel. We've been told it's the wheel bearing. I guess it's not possible to just replace the front wheel bearing. I've been told that you have to replace the whole hub assembly(?) They said the part is like $170!! (auto zone) but someone else said that it may just need lubricated, but can't get to the bearing to do that. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about or any advice, please let me know. Thanks.
    If it's a 4 wheel drive, then you would have a halfshaft coming from the transmission out to the wheel (which has a set of bearings in it in the CV constant velocity joint), and then that halfshaft end would be connected to the hub/rotor which would have the wheel bearings in it.

If you can hear it, it's undoubtedly too late and you're going to need to replace whatever is defective before it totally tears itself up. I suspect it's the CV joint half shafts.
  • zibbydszibbyds Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 98 4wd Explorer. I have abot 130,000 miles on it and just recently w/in the past few months had to replace my hub assembly on the drivers side, passenger was about 2 yrs before that. If you jiggle (l to R) the steering wheel back n forth can you hear something loose?? Have someone do that and you go under and hold on to the tie rod end, if the noise stops you need that replaced as well as the hub assembly. Check at the Advanced Auto Parts web site, I know mine was cheaper than what you said. I believe my tie rod went bad sooner than it should have because I let the hub assembly get so bad. Was very noisy. Also another thing that I have replaced lately is the sway bar link bolts, I had one broke and that i'm sure didnt help with other things wearing unevenly.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    ok... after checking the oil numerous times, I can now feel pretty safe. Oil is in oil color again. And I will never go back to Vacaville Ford in northern CA for any service again.
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    I bought a 94 Explorer recently and the driver's door is sagging, making it hard to close. I've checked on the cost of replacing the hinges, but I also saw on ebay that you can get a hinge pin and bushing set to repair the old hinges. The cost for the pin and bushing set is a little over $10. The cost for the uppper hinge from my local Ford dealer is about $25 and $45 for the lower hinge. I'm sure I can get some from a salvage yard for less, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

I would like to know if any of the rest of you have experienced this problem, and if so, how did you go about fixing it?
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    My 2003 Explorer XLT has been acting up with the "door ajar" light staying on in the dash when I know all the doors are shut. Does anyone know where the switch or the relay for this feature is? There are no little contact switches on the door frames like the old cars to pull out, clean or replace.

This issue is also causing the door chime to stay on when all doors are shut and the key is left in the ignition.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • amber10amber10 Member Posts: 1
    My 1991 ford explorer keeps dying on me while im drivng when i take my foot off the gas. the battery died a couple days ago but i charged it up. do i just need a new battery or is it something else?
    Replacing the hinges is a lot of work. It is much easier and cheaper to replace the hinge pins. Its a good fix. Just be sure to oil the hinge pins on all doors at least at every oil change. If they had been oiled before, they would not have went bad and the door would not have sagged.
    Good Luck,
    E.D. ISF
    First, You need to check the volts at the battery. Get a digital volt-ohm meter. Check all the battery and wire connections, make sure that they are clean and tight. Then connect the voltmeter across the battery terminals. With the engine off, you should read about 12.5 to 12.7 volts. Start engine and let idle, you should read 13.0 to 14.3 volts. If lower than this, rev the engine up a little and see if the voltage rises. Next turn on the headlights, A/C and windshield wipers, volts should stay above 13.0, if not see if the voltage rises if you rev the engine a little.
    If your initial voltage is very low with the engine off, the battery needs charging or is bad.
    If the voltage is low with the engine running, the alternator is bad or there is a problem with the wiring. Does your battery or Alternator light on the dash light up?
    If the voltages are good with the engine running but the battery goes dead, the battery is bad or there is something draining the battery, get it tested with a LOAD TESTER at an auto parts house. They will test your battery and alternator for free.
    Good Luck,
    E.D. ISF
    check the switch on the back hatch
  • wifemmwifemm Member Posts: 16
    We had the same problem with our 02 Mountaineer, we noticed the problem when it rained or after a car wash. The dealer couldn't find the problem cause usually it doesn't act up at the shop. The problem finally became persistent and they replaced the security control module located behind the right rear quarter panel 2 months ago. You will have to reprogram all remotes including the door keypad if you have one. It's been fine since.
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    My 99 Explorer XLT has 83.5K on the odometer. I'm concerned about the shock absorbers. They are not leaking, the tires are fine, on the bounce test the truck will make one large bounce then 2 or 3 very small bounces after I stop pushing on the side being tested. The truck has no handling issues, except for rough ride when leaving driveways or going over bumps. Any suggestions as to a whether it is time to replace the shocks??

Thanks in advance.
  • axsomaxsom Member Posts: 11
    I have exact same problem w/ my 2002 XLS. I, too, notice it is pretty consistent after a rain (haven't used a carwash to see the effect of that). In addition to the chime coming on, the radio will stop playing when car is shut off because it thinks the door is open. This directed my thinking that it was one of the front doors having the problem, because the radio will continue to play after the car is shut off when one of the back doors is opened - only stops playing when one of the front doors is opened.
    I have chosen to live with it because it doesn't affect anything else - I could really care less if the radio continues to play or not when I shut the car off.

Sounds like wifemm, comment #5797, found a solution - for the mountaineer, anyway.

I have also notice that the automatic locking that occurs when you first drive off is sometimes delayed - even up to 1/4 mile down the road.

Actually, I have had it with the size of my vehicle and gas prices - looking to downsize in, hopefully, the not so far off future.
  • 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    i got a 1993 ford explorer, that recently has develoed a clunk in the passenger door. when it gets closed, theres 1-3 thumps that can be heard outside as well as inside. the window still works normally, as well as the lock. any ideas on what this could be?
    Your shocks are fine. You don't drive enough miles be to worried about it.
    My 2000 has 140,000 miles, and my shocks are just fine. And I drive my V8 Explorer VERY aggressively. I hardly never slow down, unless I really need to, I fly through the air over rough railroad tracks or humps in the road, and I'm never under 100 mph on the bridge between cities on my way to and from work, unless traffic is too heavy. They are pretty strong shocks. I probably won't have to replace them even when it reaches 200,000 miles, I'll sell it then. My wifes 97 V8 Explorer has got 155,000m miles on the original shocks and, they are just fine. I drive her car on the weekends, just as hard as I drive mine.
    Your window regulator on the inside of the door has come loose. Pull off the inside door panel and you will see the problem, either a fastener has come loose or a part has broke loose. It will be evident when you look inside the door.
  • ipz2222ipz2222 Member Posts: 3
    For hearter control problems, take it to a radiator shop. They have to take the dash out for heater cores and are familiar with them. Save a BUNCH of money.
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    Thanks ED. You confirmed what I felt. I plan to keep my Explorer after I purchase a more fuel efficient vehicle. Since I do a lot work around the house I need the truck to haul large bulky items. The truck is in really good shape & I know that I will not get what it is worth if I try to sell it. As long as it does not need any major repairs the only significant expenses are the insurance and Mobil 1. The price of gas will not be a major factor since it will not be driven as much once I get a new vehicle. You really frequently take the Explorer over 100 MPH?? You are much gutsier than I. I've had my Explorer between 80- 90 a couple of time. I felt that if a went any faster it would become airborne!!

Thanks again,

Bioman in uncrowded Delaware
  • badphish92badphish92 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

I have a 92 Explorer that will not turn over, a few weeks ago I was driving it and 1st I was having trouble starting it, after a few stops and starts it continued to get harder to turn over. As I stopped at a red light the motor shut off I had to jam the gas all the way down just to keep it running. I pulled over and popped the hood. Tried to crank it a few more times and a small fire was burning from the number 6 spark plug. Long story short we towed to back to the house. When I pop the hood I can smell fuel, the motor will crank but not turn over. any suggestions?