Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    Ace, i just want to add that there is a difference in posting about problems and concerns about Ford products and just all out bashing the product and thinking that ford or others owe you something, yes by now we know you are ticked off at ford.
  • mazman1mazman1 Member Posts: 229
    I think what ACE is saying about FORD not standing behind their products is largely a dealer issue and a factory quality control issue. I've owned a 1994 and now a 2000 and the new one is about twice the price and about half the quality.

But if you have a good dealer, you have a much better experience/feeling about the vehicle. The trouble is that most dealers (and this includes GM and Chrysler) dont care about doing a good job in service... and wont work with the customer to get the problem resolved. Part of that is that they employ a strategy of "the more times they come back for service, the better" and the other idea is that they dont care. The mechanics that work at my dealership, although ASE certified are mostly all on their first job right out of school.

ACE, I feel your pain and am sorry about your issues. I think your best course of action is to speak with an attorney and decide on a plan. Keep in mind that some explorers are made in Canada, Mexico, and the USA and "quality" may vary from plant to plant and some people may actually have a good experience with their vehicle... although happy customers are typically not as vocal as those with problems.

I hope you can find peace in another ride, and hopefully soon...life is too short to be irritated to the point that it affects your wellbeing and health.
  • mattdurmmattdurm Member Posts: 2
    I have a '95 XLT with 74k and have had minimal problems until recently. Never dealt with a dealer service dept. until recent recall on sway bar. I was pleased because it fixed problem that I thought was a bad shock. Mysteriously my check engine light came on 4 days after having it in the shop. HMMMM... That next day they called to see if everything was OK. It wasn't, but thought I would try to diagnos myself before dishing out the cash.
    Spark plug change got rid of CE light, but a few days later the O/D off light began flashing. I have read some posts that have also been through this. Fluid was ok and Haynes said take it in. Took it to different dealership, friend is asst. mngr. of service dept. to have it checked out. My problem was shift solenoid which they replaced for $600. I apparently got a deal $54/hr rather than $68/hr.
    Now my check engine light is on again. I am thinking that my problem is throttle control sensor because engine surges rythmically. That may have caused trans. sol. problem. Error code says that EGR valve opening not detected.
    Did anyone have engine sensor problems proir to O/D off light flashing?
    I would like to hear more about problems "95 owners have or are having since we seem to have same truck with similar history.
    Other problems I have.
    -Dome light will not shut off after ignition.
    -Top brake light gives initial flash then nothing.
    I like my Explorer, and want to keep my friend, so I am trying to avoid bringing it back in.
    If anyone else has suggestions let me have em.
    Thanks...
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    I agree with Mazman1 regarding your Explorer. Life is too short to be so angry with one vehicle. I can understand your fusteration completely. I got rid of the lemon vehicle (oldsmobile gutless ciera) and went to a new car company. I have had good experiences with both my 96 and my 2000 explorers so Im crossing my fingers that they will give me trouble free miles as they have to date. If I was in your position, as I would to be ticked at Ford, I would dump the Explorer(because if its worth nothing, then its only going to cost you more money to keep fixing)and get a new/used vehicle from a different car company. Goodluck
  • yasdbyasdb Member Posts: 1
    My'95 XLT O/D light began flashing last Wed. with the auto appearing to be stuck in 1st gear. Since I had been at the dealer about 3 weeks ago for an electrical problem, I assumed that the problem was related to this. But, when I took the auto in the dealer said that the clutch was burned out and I would have to fix the transmission at an est. cost of $2100. I have a couple of questions:
    -Why didn't the computer diagnostics done 3 weeks prior to the o/d light flashing indicate that there was some problem with the transmission? Aren't some kind of codes supposed to show up or do they specifically have to be looking for some problem in the transmission vs. the electrical system? The car was taken in b/c it wouldn't start, not specifically for an electrical prob.
    -Is it reasonable for a transmission to fail at 95K miles? Is this reasonable wear and tear? We have kept up with the scheduled maint.(60k)
    -My check engine light has been on for about 16 months, paid $400 dollars in late '99 to have repair done to correct it. When it came back on, was told it was a sensor problem and just tighten the gas cap. Could this have been indicating some prob. w/the transmission that we just ignored?

I took my car to a transmission shop for a 2nd est. and the need for a new transmission was concurred. Sorry so long, but now I'm totally frustrated, going to be out $2300 and wondering if there was anything that could have been done to prevent this problem! Any advice(or support) would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Does explorer's and mountaineers all come with the non lubricating ball joints? does anyone have the problem of creaking noises during hot dry days? if this is common is there any type of fix?
  • sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    To add my $.02 worth on the quality issue. I owned one of the first Explorers when they came out, a '94 model and a '96 model. All were very low maint. vehicles. The last one was one of the best vehicles I ever owned and never even went back to the shop for service. It did have a throttle sticking problem(and because of high mileage, I traded it.) It's unfortunate that Ford and Firestone have stuck their heads in the sand and ignored the issues with the tires and in the process destroyed the resale of many Explorers. Last week while at a Ford dealer to get my new Expedition checked, I saw a Firestone Wilderness AT they had just pulled from an Exped. and if you had seen the inside of the relatively new tire, you would surely remove the tires if you still have them(I removed them from my new truck and paid $600 out of pocket for Michelins)because my family's safety is worth more than that to me. ANYWAY, Ford has obviously let quality slip to save money. I know a dealer and he says his sales are off because Ford won't produce a reliable vehicle for them to sell. Look at Escape(a good vehicle but dealers have been ordered not to sell them 4 or 5 times already due to dangerous problems needing correction, just ask people abotu the fuel odor in teh interior), Exped.(many have the transmission/engine problems, many like me have a vibration at highway speeds coming from the rear-end that can't be corrected). Again, Ford shafted dealers by reducing the rates they reimb. them for warranty work(ask any Ford dealer mechanic about it). My Exped. even lost the rear-end fluid at 300 miles and had to have a new rear axle(no, Ford's dealer rep. in Detroit wouldn't do anything for me other than pay for a rental). Thank God I leased it so that I'm not stuck beyond 2 years. It's a real shame that they keep trying to take cost out of the vehicles with unproven parts and engineering and it is us who ultimately pay. I really like Fords and there are many good aspects about them, but unless they are reliable and trouble free, they are not going to sell Yeah, I know GM is bad too, probably worse than Ford, but this is a Ford board. I hope the 2002 Explorer is a solid performer, otherwise the line for a Pathfinder is going to get alot longer.
    I would like to trade me other vehicle for a 2002 Expl. but I'm too scared to try another Ford right now..Good Luck
    I agree completely with what you said. I'd just like to add that Ford engineering/design is not totally at fault here... a large part of the blame should be put on the build quality and poor quality control coming off the Ford factory lines. Lots of the issues I see are vehicles that just were assembled incorrectly.. And it is not entirely the UAW fault either. Ford asks the line workers to work longer hours with fewer staff, and have an attitude that if they can get it to roll out of the factory, the problems/ defects can be fixed by the dealer WHEN they are encountered by the customer.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Why can my Pathfinder be such a quality/tight vehicle and all three of my Explorers (96 year being the best) and my 2000 Expedition be so poorly built. I have had the Expy only 6 months and already found that it can not be kept in alignment (eating up the R front tire), the gas tank came from the factory leaking, an incessant rattle comes from the passenger door and seat, the cheap plastic grommets holding some of the vinyl trim are already coming out. If the non-domestics can put together a quality vehicle in the same market why can't we?
    It's to bad the quality has gone down hill, I finally got my front suspension taken care of by my dealer though as always the dash or the middle console still makes noise i think thats a permanant noise from the plasic meshing together, I can deal with that noise. seems all explorers have the same plastics or dash noise i think?
  • ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    that the only noise that comes from the dashboard of my exploder is when i bang on it in frustration because something else has broken or isn't working correctly.

ace
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    i got a ford explorer of course its a doggone lemon 2000 that is so here i am stuck well maybe not would seem stupid to put down at least 4500 down on a toyota sequoia to get rid of this lemon by the way went to lemon law lawyer said ford will not buy the lemon back because i did not have any problems until after a accident i had this yr rear-ended he really did not want to help at all so here i am im already at 28000 and it has not been a yr yet should have bought more miles first time leasing. live and you learn. plus you think brakes, tires, etc. so would it makes sense to put that amt down plus toyota is taking it as a trade they want 16% down 6000 im not paying ill deal but thats to much on a 38000 truck so what do yall think help???????
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I think you ought to buy some punctuation.
  • drshrinky1drshrinky1 Member Posts: 4
    I will NEVER own another Ford after past experiences noted on this post.
    Take a look at pages 30 and 31 of Consumer Reports annual auto issue and review Ford results and tell me that all SUVs have serious problems.
  • brophbroph Member Posts: 85
    I have a '96 explorer & the oil gage registers under the oil can about 85% of the time. Being that this is not the original dashboard, I wonder if it the gage or gunk build up. The other gages work fine. It has 104K on it now & runs great. I would like take care of this before it blows the engine. Has anyone had this problem or recommend any kind of oil additive to clean up the gunk? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Tom
  • wedge9999wedge9999 Member Posts: 1
    Have the problems u guys have had with the
    SOHC V6 or the OHC V6?
  • mattbartmattbart Member Posts: 12
    I have been a frequent reader of and occasional poster to this group since the purchase of my 1997 XLT about a year and a half ago. This afternoon I became a statistic... I became one of those Ford Explorer owners involved in a low speed crash that resulted in a rollover. I sideswiped a utility pole while swerving to avoid the vehicle in front of me who suddenly slammed on its brakes. After bouncing off the pole, my Explorer skidded sideways and flipped over. Luckily, I was wearing my seatbelt and I climbed out of the vehicle with only a few scratches and bruises. While I was impressed with the protection the vehicle provided me, I was shocked at how easily it actually rolled over. Hopefully the insurance company will total the hunk of scrap metal and I can get a nice Honda Accord with the money. Good luck, Explorer owners. My Perpetual Ford Explorer Woes are over.

By the way, a note to ENGINE: I had the OHV V6 and that engine was probably the only part of the vehicle I never had problems with.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Wow, did you come straight from the rollover to Town Hall? Bet you're gonna be sore tomorrow.

From your description it sounds like the tires didn't hit anything right before the roll (like a curb)? Glad to hear that you're ok. Tough way to justify getting a new rig....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Member Posts: 185
    OK, I'll throw a topic out there. Does anyone know of a problem with the steering stops that is inherent to Explorers? My hunk of junk '99 needed them lubricated I remember. Now, my 2000 makes a pretty loud clunk when the wheel is hard over (doesn't matter right or left). I forget if this is the sound that the '99 made, but I think it was. Anyway, is this a known problem with this breed, is it a sign of a future problem, or just something that needs to be maintained. Any ideas?
    The lock to lock turning was designed to accomodate smaller tires and wheels on the explorer, thus the steering mechanism lets you move the steering wheel further than the tires will let you turn and you hit the tires into the chassis. Nothing wrong here other than bad design. You will do better not turning lock to lock as this is hard on the mechanism as well.

There are greese fittings and these should be lubed every 2 years... so your 2000 may be due soon.
  • amber11amber11 Member Posts: 2
    I've read that vibrations are common in Explorers, but would still like to know if anyone can make a suggestion on how to fix ours.

We've fixed the following (all needed fixing anyways):

radial arm bushings
    front and rear bearings
    u-joints
    balanced the drive shaft (axle?)
    tires all ok & balanced
    new shocks

The vibration was horrible starting at about 60mph. After the above repairs it's minimal, but still there. We've called Ford and they don't have a TSB for vibrations at the higher speeds and don't know what to suggest since we've repaired/replaced all that they would have.

Funny thing is...the day after we bought this (a few weeks ago) the fuel pump went out and we just happened to 'die' in front of the Ford dealership. There was no vibration until after we picked it up after they replaced the pump. I'm not saying there's a connection...it's just REALLY aggravating!!

The guy at the tire shop said the vibration started in the rear left when he put the hub back on (no tire).

Any ideas other than just living with it??

Thanks,
    Antonia
  • drshrinky1drshrinky1 Member Posts: 4
    Ford motors survived the Edsel, from 1958, and they will survive the Exploder too.
    I got rid of my Exploder and will never own another Ford product, as long as I live.
    What a pile of junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They may be OK in 2002, just a window falling out once in a while. That's not a big thing to the
    "Blind leading the blind," as they walk into a dealership and see the sales staff salavating at the hunk a dough you will spend for the "Pile."
  • ketoketo Member Posts: 2
    I'm a proud owner of a '93 XLT W/leather, a great year it seems. It's been a great car and now has 82k miles. It has the V6 OH engine and any problems I had along the way were replaced,by the $50 deductible ESP. I'm now looking at a '99 Mercury Mountianier or '99 Explorer XLT/Limited, with similar features like leather, moon roof and running boards. After reading over half of the posts here I'm moving away from the SOHC and towards the V8 AWD. All I've seen for the most part is positive on this engine, and not much less in MPG. Anyone have any stories on the AWD/V8 combo (or positives on the SOHC)would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards the V8. Thanks.
  • smily1smily1 Member Posts: 104
    I have a 98 XLT V8 AWD with 42k. I have been very pleased with it (even with its off road abilities). No mechanical problems to speak of. MPG is about 13.5 mixed (mostly city with lead foot). Best highway was 18.9 on a 300 mile trip at about 90mph. I use full synthetic oil and a K&N air filter. I think we made the best choice by choosing the V8. After 30 years I think Ford worked out all the bugs in the old 302.
  • millerickmillerick Member Posts: 3
    My '98 SOHC engine just died with 60K on it, $5k for a rebuilt one. I went to Nat'l Highway Trans board, lots of complaints on engine problems with this engine, not the older ohc or v8. Knowing what I know now, I would only consider the V8 if I were to buy a Ford again, which I will not. (Their lack of response to my requests for assistance on replacing the engine leads me to believe that Ford doesn't care about keeping this formerly long time Ford guy a customer). Don't know if I had had the same problem with a Pathfinder if Nissan would have been any more responsive, hopefully, I never will find out, but I do know that Ford will never have the opportunity again. BTW, my dealership could not have handled the purchase of my Ford any better and their service manger is excellant. Dealer is Ray Seraphin Ford in Rockville CT (northern part of state). - I highly recommend them.
  • stewertstewert Member Posts: 18
    Millerick , Did your engine dying have anything to do with the timing chain or timing chain ten shiner? These parts have a extended warranty to what I believe is 5year 75,000 miles. I would fight ford on this if your engine dying does not have anything to do with neglect.
  • ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    could it be true??

news sources are reporting that ford is going to make good on the firestone tire debacle.

to this incredibly unsatisfied exploder owner, this would represent a pretty healthy step towards righting the incredible harm done to owners.

we happened to have had the non-recalled at's. replaced them with michelin ltx ms' at our own expense.

good job ford.

ace
    For all you guys still riding on Deathstone tires, please check out this news story about a recall of almost all Wilderness Tires:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/Business/Firestone_Tire_Recall/

• cberescberes Member Posts: 24
    to watch the Ford Explorer debacle contine to unfold . . . knowing how much they have riding on the 2002 model, it's amazing that they "forgot" and sliced up non-Firestone tires on some models by using a too-small conveyor . . . sad and inept.

I think its a pretty bold move for Firestone to pull away from Ford--Ford is always looking to pin its Explorer safety problems on others . . . they must feel that the American public has a sheep mentality-- we'll just believe what they tell us and go along with the herd--

Our 1993 XLT is now pushing 180K. It has been mostly kind to us. When it goes, so will we-- goodbye Ford!
  • enforcerenforcer Member Posts: 40
    for those Michelins. During the last recall, Ford & Firestone reimbursed owners who had already replaced the defective tires.

Personally, I think we have to give Ford credit for doing the right thing on this recall. Firestone has strenuously resisted all recalls because they don't care about safety, just profits. Ford has already spent $500 million to recall Firestone's crappy tires.

As for me, I am going to exchange my Wilderness tires for some new Michelins, which I understand provide better gas mileage and a smoother highway ride.
  • tgraves1tgraves1 Member Posts: 3
    With the price of gas going up I would like to use the cheapest 85 octane here in Denver. The manual for my 2001 Sport for the 4.0L SOHC V6 says to use the regular grade of gas with a rating of 87 or higher. That is for sea level and, from what I have read elsewhere, is the equivalent of 85 octane at high altitude. However, the manual goes on to say "We do not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as 'Regular' that are sold with octane retings of 86 or lower in high altitude areas." Does anyone know why they would say this and if it is still OK to use 85 octane here in Denver? Thanks a lot for any info.
    Check out the www.ford.com website.

Ford has a list of acceptable reimbursable tires and dealers(unfortunately they are only reimbursing $110 per 15" and 16" tire)... and the Michelins will run you about $125-$145 each. Also they will not reimburse for Michelin Crossterrains in the 255/70 R16 size, just the Michelin LTX MS. I bought crossterrains last year and they are great, but expensive $145 each.
  • scootyscooty Member Posts: 10
    According to a report from blueovalnews.com , Ford has extended the warranty on the front cam chain guide assembly from 6 yr/72000 to 7 yr/100000 on the 4.0L SOHC engines in 1997 and 1998 Explorers and Mountaineers.The report was dated 4/18/01.I believe it is still on their main page as of today.
  • jefferiesjefferies Member Posts: 1
    Mazman or any other knowledgable person,

I need to make a quick decision on either the Cross Terrains or LTX M/S. Could you give me you impressions on the Cross Terrains (noise, ride, wet traction, snow traction, cornering, perceived treadlife) and the differences between the 2 models? I've had the Wilderness ATs so obviously anything will be an improvement but it strikes me that the Cross Terrains are extremely expensive, so i want to make sure that its worth it. If you live in such a climate, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the traction in snow. Some winters I regularly drive in 6-18 inches of unplowed snow although I never take the explorer off road. I especially appreciate your input as I can't seem to find any reviews on the Cross Terrains on the internet.

Thank you.
    Jeff
    I bought Michelin Crossterrains (cost me $149 each), and I dont know what LTX's drive like. The CTX is much quieter than the Deathstones and I get about 1-2 mpg better. The Michelins are of a softer rubber, so the tread will probably wear out in about 40K miles. The cornering is good and the most noticeable thing is the softer and quieter ride. All in all.. no complaints with the Crossterrains.

I think that you might want to consider the LTX AT, which has a but more aggressive tread than both the LTX MS (cost $125 each) and the Cross terrain. Both the CTX and LTX MS are for people who mostly drive on paved roads and do only some driving in light snow (1"-5").. For deeper snow or off road, you might want to look at a more aggressive tread. I think Michelin LTX AT might be there for you. Check out michelin's website www.michelin.com.

GoodYear also makes a very good Wrangler AT tire.
    I got a set of Cross Terrain tires on my truck in January. Although I got them 2 weeks after our biggest snowfall of the year here in NJ, I did drive them in some snowfalls of about 6 inches and icy conditions. No problems whatsoever.

I looked really hard as to what type of tire to get. I do virtually no offroading, but we do get some heavy weather here from time to time. The LTX ATs were described to me by some dealers as offering no difference in ride quality or mileage as compared to the Wilderness ATs, just some better handling. The LTX M/S are a good tire for the occasional off roader or for someone who lives where there are frequent, heavy snow use. Their qualities are lie somewhere between the Cross Terrain and the AT, but offering far superior traction to an all season radial.

My Cross Terrains have served me well. Road noise is nearly gone, the highway ride is improved, better wet traction than the Wilderness AT (in my opinion I thought I always hydroplaned on those tires), and slight improvement in mileage.
    Has anyone contacted their dealers yet about the tire recall? I contacted a few in my area and they were still unsure of whats going on, one dealership told me to call back in 10 days, although ford is saying to take you're truck in and have the tires replaced, does anyone know when this starts or if i should go elsewhere and get my tires replaced and just have ford reimburse me for them?
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    You may want to wait before replacing yours out of pocket and asking for a reimbursement.

Ford is only reimbursing those who replaced their tires before May 22, 2001. After the 22nd, the tires must be done at a Ford dealer. Ford is apparently sending letters to all owners with a "certificate" of sorts indicating you are eligible for replacement tires. Or so, that is what I have heard...
    In addition to my 2000 XLS loosing its coolant to an unknown site (reservoir was completely empty about a month ago, refilled, today was about halfway below fill line) and someone generously putting a large dent in my left rear quarter panel, it is a good weekend.
  • wh23fdctwh23fdct Member Posts: 18
    Hello all, those of you wondering about LTX A/T'S out there, I have a 99 XLT V8 W/AWD with them on it. I originally had Firestones but through a deal at my local Sam's club I got them replaced for no charge even though they weren't the recall ones. I have had them for aprox. 7000 miles and Im happy with them. I am in CT. and with the snow we had this past winter they did really well. Alot quieter than the deathstones at highway speed too. I drive them pretty hard and only a minimal rounding of the edges at 7000 miles. I think price was $109 per tire for the 15" jobs. Hope this helps. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    Have your mechanic check your oil. I will bet you will find your coolant in your oil as I have seen with my 2000 xls that has had the same issue with three 4.0 ohv engines. I believe Ford checks these sites often and my attorney has requested that I not post anything at this time. Sorry to hear about your dent, but that's small compared to what your in for with Ford and your engines. I will soon post my entire story start to finish. Ford has lost a loyal fan.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    I was in for scheduled 15k service checks at my dealer at 7 am two days after Ford announced the non-recall "customer satisfaction adjustment" on gravestone ATs. put me right on the tire list. they are offering free road hazard for those of us who can wait so Ford gets the older tires replaced first (this is obviously this one dealer's project, but other large dealers may also be doing something similar, if not by default, maybe on request.) got a double-check call yesterday to insure they had the right size on my tire list form. I've got a 2000 Limited, and no cracks or roughness yet, so I'm not hammering on the garage door yet for mine.

with the hooey that gravestone started slinging Thursday about testing with two Explorers, one Jeep, and one Blazer showing the Explorers supposedly roll over when you whistle and beg for a bone, perhaps we ought to change our sly puns on their brand name. The old logo for Bridgestone used to be the outline of a keystone, like on the top of an arch, with the BS letters inside. perhaps BullStone is more appropriate than Gravestone??
  • markgregorymarkgregory Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 ford explorer wtih 140K miles. Withing the last 6 months, I notice the engine starts to race and heat up. This is a symptom when the antifreeze is low. I fill it up and it runs just fine. The problem is that I can't figure out where the antifreeze is going. It doesn't appear to be leaking and when I check the oil, it does not appear to be anything except oil there. Anyone have this problem or any ideas? Thanks.
    I don't see many people posting about the Tire recall, has anyone had their tires replaced yet? i'm still on a waiting list.
  • sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    I have made an appt for this Sat morning at Discount Tire to get my tires replaced. I'm getting the Michelin LTX M/S 255/70/16 and they were about $120 a piece. I called my dealer and he was out of tires but said Ford will reimburse up to $130 a tire. I'm pretty sure balancing and all that other good stuff is also covered. My only concern is that would Ford be reimbursing for 5 tires or just 4. I'm assuming 5 tires so my total came out to about $713 and some change for everything. I would have to take my receipt and my old tires back to my dealer so he can do the paperwork for getting reimbursed. And that should be about 4-6 weeks. I think you can go to your dealer and have your tires replaced (assuming he has some in stock). Reason why I didn't go to my dealer was because I wanted the Michelin's. Hope this helps....

Good Luck...
    you need to find the leak. if the engine is getting hot, it's serious. if you don't see any drips on a cardboard or newspaper spread under the radiator and engine compartment, have a shop test for exhaust gas in the radiator.. if it's there, you have a head gasket problem, and will have to have the heads pulled, possibly planed, and the gaskets replaced. at 140K miles, they should probably be rebuilt. if that isn't it, likely issues would include rotting hose ends, radiator core or end bell leaks, leaky draincock, water pump and gasket, bad radiator cap allowing steam to wisp into either the overflow tank or directly into the air, etc. the fluid is going someplace, and if it's not onto the ground, you have a big problem possible... find out what it is, and then figure out whether you want to fix or trade.
    the plant idling continues, at least at St. Paul Highland, if not at Edison and Louisville, so there are several truckloads of current production tires, mostly Goodyears and Michelin, availiable a day for replacement. these should be getting into the parts flow Real Soon Now.
  • gkl12gkl12 Member Posts: 2
    I have a loud screeching noise when I apply the brakes on my '96 explorer. I have had the brakes checked by two different mechanics and each say they are fine. But the noise continues. Any suggestions...
  • enforcerenforcer Member Posts: 40
    I have the same problem with my 1997 explorer. One day the antifreeze is fine, next day it's gone. However, this only happens when I am driving on long trips of 200+ miles per day. Can't find any leaks at all.

Best thing to do is check the oil and antifreeze every time you fill up. Never had to do this with my BMWs, guess it's just Ford quality.
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    My '95 was losing some anti-freeze, too, and I occasionally got a whiff of it in the garage. Like yours, no visible evidence of where it was leaking from. I had over 90K on it at the time, so I changed the thermostat and put new upper and lower hoses on it. No leaks after that. It may not be your problem, but it's a cheap attempt at a fix!
    Good luck!