Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Car is too douchey for me (based on who buys them new in my neighborhood), but the bike is beautiful.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Didn't the GS just do the whole break-through-the-wall thing?

It gets attention, I guess, but does every commercial have to act like Top Gear and drift everything in sight?

Seems more like a muscle car commercial.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Unpacking power - An incredibly dumb and irresponsible commercial. BMW has had other dumb, stupid commercials. Such as guy with an open sunroof in a BMW korean look-alike sedan getting a coffee refill from an air tanker flying overhead.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Unpacking power - An incredibly dumb and irresponsible commercial.

That's what makes it so great...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    edited December 2012
    Don't worry, I'm sure it was done on a closed course with a professional driver.
    Just buckle your seat belt every time you get in your car, and I'm sure you will be ok.

That being said, I kind of like this Christmas Card video
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Christmas Card video. Ho hum. Yes. Very good driving in a commercial on a “paved safe course” in a BMW. Watch this onboard clip with a team in a WRC stage at Rally Italia this year to see real driving on a real road: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev2lYCUY-Vc or another longer clip of Rally Portugal, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGUlnLbS4TU

WRC events. Where “real” dust, gravel being thrown around by “top” drivers of the world. Not some stupid commercials we have seen of BMW’s, Mercedes and other cars sliding around in tv make-believe land.

Current R&T has an article of a top US performance rally driver, John Buffum.
    I really don't see a big difference.
    Both have permission to drive however they see fit for their purposes.
    When it comes to WRC, you only need to know 2 words, Sebastian Loeb.
    I'm pretty sure he's been champ 9 of the last 10 years and won 9 of 13 events in 2012.
    Personally, I like Ken Block as a US driver.
    He cranks out some fun stuff.
    doing a little drifting
    The fake engine sounds coming from the radio actually sound pretty good. :D
    http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/youtube-ads-leaderboard-2012

Even the reinvented Camry ad (with the couch made of people) made the list.
    The over-steer is quite a stretch, but the ad is still cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ViN-u9mjEnA#!

Also highlights some of the features on the car well.
    Fastest song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TjncA7jau2g#!

Though that's one of the ugliest mugs in car-dome right now. Yikes.
    I like the 1er 3 door - it has an "I'm dorky and don't care" feel to it, in contrast to some other dorky small cars that are actually trying to be dorky.
    You must like the clown shoe, then (Z3 M Coupe).
    I used to think they were way too dorky, but knowing they are amazingly good for actually being driven, I can accept them easily.

I'd take a 1er hatch over a 1er coupe.
    Yeah, the coupe is even worse, way too short. Looks squeezed.

Below mid-size all cars should be hatches.
    The worst was the old Aveo trunkback, just awkward. Fiesta trunkback is odd, too. The small Koreans are also weird. I agree about the hatches.

My sister's Sonic is a trunkback - for some reason, that's what she wanted (makes no sense as the previous car was a ZX5), but young women + cars are often hard to predict :shades:
    edited December 2012
    At least the Sonic has character. I like the motorcycle style gauges.

All that car needs is a good diet.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    All that car needs is a good diet.

or about 20 extra horsepower.

I test drove a Sonic sedan a few weeks ago. 6-speed with the 1.4L turbo. Not a bad little car, though I, too, would prefer the hatch.
    The styling makes it look like more than it is. Don't know if I could warm up to the gauges - I like them to be simple, but for as cheap as a Sonic could probably be had right now, you could get one and a nice bike for the price of a normal car.
    Don't know if I could warm up to the gauges - I like them to be simple, but for as cheap as a Sonic could probably be had right now, you could get one and a nice bike for the price of a normal car.

Yeah, the gauges would take some getting used to.

The Sonic I drove was an LT model and stickered for exactly $17K. With discounts and rebates, figure another grand or so off.

I prefer the LTZ trim level myself, which starts to nudge $20K.

With the average vehicle transaction now in excess of $30K, you could get a pretty decent car and a bike for that amount.

I'm hoping the Fiesta ST comes in with a sticker in the low 20's.
    I am not sure what trim my sister's car is, but she got it out the door just under 18K...all I remember is that it has foglights, wheels, and bluetooth. As far as I know, no problems in 3.5 months on the road.
    People who haven't been in the market for, say, 7 years or so...they will experience some serious sticker shock.

Compact hatches are high 20s, loaded mainstream sedans break 30 easily, and an entry lux sedan hits 50k frighteningly quickly with options.
    Hell, 3ers can get to just about 60K now, and you can load a Cayman up to like 110K. Inflation is out there.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    What the Big 3 are saving with the two-tier labor contracts sure isn't being passed on to buyers. I bought a new Mustang Premium over summer, fairly loaded with the 305 hp six and 6 speed for 26k, didn't think that was too bad. My buddy just got one of the leftover Silverado's before the new ones arrive, helluva nice truck for around 28k.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Hell, 3ers can get to just about 60K now, and you can load a Cayman up to like 110K.

Saw some tests in car magazines with BMWs with a 4 cyl engine listing into the 40's. Who is so dumb to buy a 4 cyl car for over $40K.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Get used to it....

4 cyl turbos are the "new 6-cylinder"..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Get used to it....

4 cyl turbos are the "new 6-cylinder"..

Yep, I stopped at the Cadillac dealer over the weekend. The 2.0L turbo ATS' are stickering in the mid to high 40's. Even the 2.5L "base" engine (direct injection, 202HP) was in the mid 30's.

Yet, if you head over to the 'prices paid' forum, folks are still buying AltiCamCordatas for $20-23K.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    edited December 2012
    Who is so dumb to buy a 4 cyl car for over $40K.

Audi has been doing well with that plan for quite some time.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It's almost 2013, you know. Many modern 4cyls can outperform old 6cyl cars, if not V8s. The future is now.
    My favorite part was when you heard someone's helmet 'clunk' off a side window.
    When you look at all the improvements to the new Silverado, other than engine changes, I think they finally caught up to the 2005 F Series.
    Many modern 4cyls can outperform old 6cyl cars, if not V8s

In some ways better, but there are trade offs.

Fuel efficiency and torque are definitely there, but most give up smoothness and responsiveness, particularly in the case of BMW going from a silky inline six to a shaky 2.0T. Start/stop on that thing shakes the whole car.

We may be a generation or so away from then tuning in more smoothness, but even then the instant throttle response won't quite be there. I just remember a short autocross course in a 330i and how you could use the throttle to accelerate and even slow gradually (engine compression) to get through the course, with a RIGHT-NOW response to that throttle that you just can't get from the new engine.

When big engines are gone we'll still be nostalgic for larger displacement engines.

We'll also miss hydraulic power steering when they're all electric. Heck, Miata owners complain that the no power assist option is gone! :D
    GM put DI on all the engines, plus they got modern transmissions, too.

I think it's the styling that seems too similar to many folks.
    The start/stop can be disabled though. And make those engines diesel, and get enough torque to smooth things out a bit. There's no complete replacement for displacement, but the writing is on the wall. Even the highlines are moving downward in size.
    Oh, it's inevitable, no question.

Diesels lag a bit also.
    http://bcove.me/0qy22zw6

A little low budget but kinda neat.
    From Ford of Europe:

http://youtu.be/LrvWviUCP7M
    This is the Swagger Wagon's mom's naughty sister from England:

http://youtu.be/eNVde5HPhYo

A little racy...
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I know that and that's why I excluded the power train upgrades.
    My '02 Explorer has an aluminum hood, so it's not exactly something new, except for maybe GM.
    Brilliant. Best Holiday themed ad this year.
    To think, at one time, the Volvo could have simply been represented by the block of ice, not much carving needed :shades:
    For a wagon, just one shorter block at the front!

Then just slap on a logo, voila! :D
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    We all know the first Lexus was a blatant ripoff of the S-series Benz. But was their "December to Remember" ad campaign also a ripoff? Judge for yourself:

http://www.howtobuildatimemachine.com/image/38501304355

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Hopefully someone has a copyright and all Xmas ads are banned.

To be honest there were far fewer of those this year, though. I saw the Infiniti ad a lot more, with the G and the BMW, plus the one with the snow flakes.

G37 lease for $299! Wow! Not G25, either. They should get good numbers for December.

The ES was around ~$400 around here.
    It is still the "holiday season", so we have another week or so of ads to contend with.

G is ancient and replaced soon, I would expect even better deals as the old model is closed out, too. The Infiniti ad with the million dollar cabin was played a lot here.
    I think they dropped the G25, so that's a bargain for the big V6, especially if you're not a fan of the small turbos that are taking over the segment.

Still wondering if the next IS will be FT86 based and come with a 2.0T, or use the GS platform (shortened).