Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• jjsjjs Member Posts: 18
    Good for you. My expirience with Pep Boys turning rotors not that great. Twice.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    You were lucky. Most rotors can't be turned more than once.
  • brupopbrupop Member Posts: 63
    Now that the rotor turning discussion is over, does anyone have the information that Mike was asking for?
    I'm also looking to replace the brakes on my 2002 HL and would like to know about anything that is particular to our HLs.
    Thanks, GregB
    The brake system is arguably the most important safety system on your vehicle. That said, you should use the OE replacement parts, not some aftermarket junk from Pep Boys or one of the other chains. There's a reason the aftermarket parts are cheaper and it isn't just because they come from China.
  • jjsjjs Member Posts: 18
    I got a set of Brembo disks and Toyota OE pads kit. We are adults and make our own decisions based on certain criteria, price, quality, etc. So, if someone wants to buy and install brake parts from Pep Boys, it is entirely up to them. Now, does anyone has information that pertains to brake REPLACEMENT?
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the antenna from the front fender? The top of the antenna is 2 or 3 inches above the roof rack, but it doesn't look like you can push the antenna in. I may need to park before long in a low-profile parking garage. Thanks.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    The March Car and Driver features the 2007 Lexus RX350 with 270hp. Any thoughts that the 2007 Highlander is coming out at the same time? I thought the 3.5L engine would show up in a much larger Pilot-Sized Highlander.....
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Is this the fixed antenna you refer to? My '05 HL has same. If this is the antenna, all you do is get a wrench proper size for base of antenna and unscrew it. Be careful with the wrench not to mark the black paint on the antenna. If this is not the fixed antennna on yours, sorry, don't know.
  • car44car44 Member Posts: 8
    I just took a Tahoe for a test drive. The Tahoe had a Nav system where you could control XM radio via the Nav. It was a great implementation. I found the Tahoe to be too big and too thirsty. Does Toyota offer a similiar setup w/ NAV and satellite radio? If not, has anyone done this after market?
  • me8eme8e Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 and WAS the same way; so....I stopped by the local salvage yard and found a set from a Big Car that had a Big Voice ! Cleaned them up and painted....purchased a relay from autozone...mounted every thing outta the way.
    Now the Highlander has a much louder VOICE :)
  • jrfierojrfiero Member Posts: 123
    My 2001 from March of 2001 is about to run out of its 5-year 50K mile warranty period. For the first time, I'm thinking about an extended warranty, since it only has 45K miles and we're going to keep it a while. I remember posts about buying extended warranties at the time of new HL purchase, but not about buying one later.
    Anyone have any experiences or suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Jonas
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Extended Warranties discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • pupaupairpupaupair Member Posts: 6
    Hi!
    Buying a 2001 used Toyoto Highlander. Driving long distances on the Turnpike several times a year. In Florida only. I go alone so dependability and safety are a prime concern Should I go with a 4-cly or a 6-cyl.?
    Any thoughts or experiences greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Dianna
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    The 4 cyl on the HL isn't underpowered as it is on some other cars, so unless if extra power and acceleration are important to you either engine should be ok (not familiar with FL Turnpike as I live in CA). However, if you get an AWD, then the V6 is recommended.

The HL is a very dependable vehicle generally, although some posters have experienced a few problems (minor interior rattles, wind noise, steering wheel clicking/rubbing noise, excessive engine vibration when idling, engine/drivetrain vibration at highway speeds, brake rotors warping, and hesitation when accelerating -- if you don't notice any of these during the test drive then you should be ok).

I have an '01 V6 and only problems I've had was one interior rattle and side wind noise, both of which were known issues and fixed via TSB by dealer under warranty.

I think with the Limited you get side airbags (should be marked on pillars behind front seats). If you're in a serious frontal collision the front has crumple zones absorbing the shock and engine will drop down preventing it from being shoved into the passenger compartment. The HL feels very safe and stable when driving.

:)
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I too live in Florida and have a 2004 HL 4 cyl., no problems with it so far and it drives just fine on the busy roads here.

Most folks that have issues with the 4 cyl. as far as power is concerned, are coming from a vehicle that had lots of pick up, so it is noticeable to them.

As far as reliability and safety are concerned, either the 4 or 6 cyl. will be fine.
    Thanks, rbleland. I figured out how to remove the thing but the wrench unfortunately left a small mark. It's easy once you know what you are doing, but the owner's manual could be a bit more helpful.
  • pupaupairpupaupair Member Posts: 6
    Hi!
    Thank you for the help.
    I am coming from a 6 cyl '93 Explorer that got T-Boned. I'm fine and the SUV drove home but the doors aren't water-tight anymore. It will cost more to fix than its worth. :cry:
    I guess the 4 cyl HL and I will get along just fine, then.
    Regards, D.
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    We live in Ga. purchased a new '05 HL 4cyl last year.
    It's been a great drive. Parents also have one just like it.
    23 mpg around town and 26 highway. Just got back from a trip to Lousiville,Ky. No problem with power, loaded with 3 adults
    and 1 child. Interstate driving from 70 to 80 mph. 25.5 mpg
    average. I say it's just right! Who needs a hybrid? And ours was only $24K drive out.
    I agree with mtrialsm. We're in Massachusetts and have been very pleased with our '04 FWD 4-cyl. For the first 28K miles we have averaged over 25 mpg. Long trip last summer with 2 adults and 2 teenagers was quite comfortable to Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Plenty of pep for someone who has only driven small 4-cyl. wagons in the past. If you don't mind the downshifting on steep hills and when merging on the interstate, you'll be happy with it.
  • tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    I believe I saw a white Highlander with a silver bottom. I didn't think there was a such thing as a two-tone Highlander. Was I seeing things?
  • reachagreachag Member Posts: 2
    Hi mtrialsm & herzogtum71, i have a 4-cyl 05 highlander, i was never able to get more than 21 mpg, driven about 9,200 miles. i use regular gas and mostly fill it up a Costco. Do you guys use premium gas? is this a problem with my vehicle, do you think going to a dealer and asking them about it helps?
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    Customized or was in an accident
    '02 or '03 HL spotted on a showroom floor that had been two-toned by the dealership:

Perhapw this is the same one you saw (this one was spotted in Palo Alto, CA).
    The RX300 had a 2-tone color scheme in its first couple model years and it was very popular but that Highlander picture does absolutely nothing for me.
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Considering purchase of a FWD V6. Is there any advantage of the Highlander over the new RAV4 V6? RAV has much more horsepower and torque, better EPA numbers and the availability of side bags/curtains without hsving to spring for the Limited. RAV also hads a longer seat cushion and telescoping steering wheel. Am I missing something or is the new RAV just a better car?
  • craig17craig17 Member Posts: 1
    The new RAV is definitely an improvement over the old one, but I think it's still a step down from the highlander in terms of overall interior space and quality. The 3rd row is much more usable on the HL for example. The HL just feels like a higher end car.
    You need to drive them both and decide. The Highlander V6 has plenty of power but the RAV4 will be a hot rod. We get about 22 mpg at 70-75 mph with our AWD V6 but around town it's considerable lower than the EPA 18 mpg city rating.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    I think they are different. The Rav interior quality seems so-so and doesn't seem to be built as well as the Highlander - you can tell by just looking at it. The Ravs second row seat back rest is low (I mean the part of the seat where your back to your head is). It doesn't go up to your shoulders, and leaves your head and upper portion without any support -- not very safe for an emergency harsh stop. The highlander is a better vehicle for long trips. Rav4 seems to be a very basic vehicle in my opinion.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It cost me $1300 to covert my 2001 AWD Rx300 to monotone.
  • getbizzygetbizzy Member Posts: 11
    Hi -My wife is considering a Highlander. The only two "must have" options she needs are leather seats (LP) and heated seats (HD). Is she better off getting these as options to a Highlander or looking at the Limited instead?Are there any other compelling reasons to look at the Limited? Also, whats a good baseline price to target?
  • chazzbirdchazzbird Member Posts: 1
    Hey Getbizzy
    We just bought a 06 limited HL, that comes with heated leather seats and a moonroof, and we paid 31,500 after the rebate. We are excited as we pick it up tomorrow! Good luck, we found the best price via internet pricing at the dealers, requested via Edmunds.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Each region is different but I believe that you can only get heated leather seats in a Ltd. as they are FIO's. ( Factory Installed Options).
    I've always used regular gas. Usually Gulf because it's cheaper than Mobil and Exxon in my town. I've never used Costco gas, but on occasion I have bought from other independents. Are you driving mostly in the city, or in the mountains? If not, your mpg definitely sounds like it should be a bit higher.
    If his 21 is highway, then it's definitely low. If it's around town, that's pretty good.
  • getbizzygetbizzy Member Posts: 11
    Appreciate it.
    That was my fear because it limits what I can negotiate on.
    Is it true I will get a better deal with negotiating with what the dealer has "on the lot"?
    absolutely..

Actually if the dealer has to go get another vehicle from a 'friend' nearby.. the other dealer gets the credit for that vehicle as well as the profit. The one you are talking with gets little or nothing, except that he makes you happy.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    "Actually if the dealer has to go get another vehicle from a 'friend' nearby.. the other dealer gets the credit for that vehicle as well as the profit. The one you are talking with gets little or nothing, except that he makes you happy."

Actually, most dealers do what is known as a dealer trade i.e. they trade one of their cars for a car from another dealer that has the color and/or the equipment that the buyer wants. He still gets the profit and credit from the sale. Some dealers will not trade with their competitors but most will as it can be to their mutual advantage.
    True but the only 'margin' the originating dealer gets is the present sale....which could be little or nothing.

By 'credit' I meant to say money credit.. not unit credit..
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    Yes, Toyota does produce two tone variations. At least from 2001 to 2004. I have seen quite a few in the central North Carolina area. Also have seen a couple at the local dealer. It appears, however, that it is no longer an option. At lease I could not find it on the Toyota website.
  • anthony921anthony921 Member Posts: 40
    Has Toyota decided for sure to change the Highlander for 2007 ? I see all the news about the new 07 Camry but nothing about a new Highlander. If so, are there any pictures of the new version ?
    I don't think Toyota produced the ones you saw, they had to have been customized by the dealer or the owners (unless if they were customized at the port). Never saw any references to two-toned HLs in the HL brochures. Out here in CA don't see any two-toned HLs (except the rare oddballs).

Actually I have a two-toned HL that was two-toned by a body shop. I once came across another two-toned HL on the road -- the lady in the other HL and I were frantically waving at each other.
    You are correct.. This is a SET variation that is done at the regional level on some vehicles. I bridge the border between CAT and SET and often see these variations.
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    You are probably correct. The two tone Highlanders I saw were brand new vehicles on the dealers lot. Also noted two tone Highlanders on the dealers web page. I might just be an addition by Southeastern Toyota.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The headrests on the Rav are adjustable, so it is safe if adjusted properly - same as any other vehicle.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I have not seen anything official but I think it will be model year 2008. I read a reference today that said the Lexus RX330 would be redone in 2008 for model year 2009. My guess is the redone HL will arrive the model year before the Lexus.
  • anthony921anthony921 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks very much for your reply !
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    I am looking for a 3rd row equipped SUV and am considering the Pilot eX-l and Highlander ltd.

For those of you who compared the two, what swayed you towards the Highlander.

Here is my situation. Our family car is the Odyssey, but my car is a sedan and every now and then we get in a pickle since my car can not hold my 4 kids. I have 2 6 year olds in booster seats, 1 4 year onld on her way to the booser and 1 infant in a car seat. IL law requires they be in boosters until 8 years old.

This is the "second car" I understand the nuances of getting to the 3rd row, but I am not ready to be a two mini-van family. I have never owned a Toyota, but those who had them loved them.

I would appreciate your thoughts-
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    most of those replying to your post , missed a very major + that CRV has it compared to HL.
    What safety features you like on HL that 2005 CRV does not have?? All those listed by you are standard on CRV, + side curtain airbags and VSC. Not to mention the 5 spd AUTO tranny on the CRV.
    For what you get for the buck, CRV is worthed WAY more.
    I wouldn't trade for an extra $2500 the "clock separated from the radio", "cargo cover" or " variable intermittent wipers", for SIDE AIRBAGS and VSC.
    My .2 cts...
    The Pilot is substantially wider than the Highlander so it should be much roomier in back. I'm not sure the HL 3rd row seat would even hold a child seat, it's pretty small. Since we don't have a need for it, it's always been folded down. We went for the HL because of its narrower width and my wife couldn't get comfortable in the Pilot driver's seat.
  • lmn908lmn908 Member Posts: 34
    We have a Highlander and really like it. Much as the previous poster found, the slightly smaller size was an advantage for us, as were the level of comfort and quiet ride. However, the third row seat is not that functional in the Highlander. (We have never used it.) Check out both vehicles for yourself, but if you are really planning on using the 3rd row often, the Highlander is probably not your best choice.

Larry