Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    If the chip is in your line of vision, the insurance company should require replacement rather than repair. And all insurance companies I have used allowed me to choose the place to do the repair or replacement. You don't have to use the place the dealer recommends.

When we lived in Colorado where they have no law about covering truckloads of gravel, we had chips and small cracks repaired a number of times. Couldn't even tell they had been there. But on one occasion a crack developed from a chip that spread accross the entire windshield. The windshield was replaced, with no problems whatsoever.

Just this past February I picked up a chip on the Mass Pike. It was on the passenger side, so I went to a local place to have it repaired and wasn't satisfied at all with how it turned out. So a few days later I went to a different place -- J.N. Phillips -- and had the windshield replaced. The insurance covered both the attempted repair and the replacement with no deductible. Again no problems with leaks, at least so far.

If you do decide to replace it, I would suggest taking it into a shop rather than having someone do it in your driveway or parking lot. People have told me you get a better quality job if they do it indoors in a controlled environment. Replacing the glass itself takes only a short time, but you need to count on waiting or leaving the vehicle for a couple of hours because the adhesive has to set properly before it is safe to drive it. Any shop should be able to get an original Toyota windshield. Mine had speckled tinting behind the windshield-mounted mirror, and the new windshield is an exact match.
  • bobby11bobby11 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you all for the wonderful advise as it is greatly appreciated!! I have called my insurance company and since I am fully covered with NO deductible they will either replace the windshield with a factory windshield, or repair it. At this time I have decided to go with a repair as I do not wish to run the risk of a poor installation, or one that does not match a factory seal. It makes more sense to heed the advise of those that have had favorable results with a repair. I have decided to go with my insurance company's recommendation to use safelite Auto Glass. My Insurance company says, if I do not like the repair they will replace the windshield. I have nothing to loose. It makes more sense to repair it because the chip is small. I am sure that there will be more windshield dings in my future and it does not make sense to replace the windshield. It would be illogical for me to think that an insurance company is going to keep replacing a windsheild for every ding. So, I shall wait when I have accumulated enough of them to warrant a replacement with the risk of getting a proper seal. I really do not think a factory seal can be duplicated !!!Again, thank you!!!
  • hvillehville Member Posts: 2
    Thinking of turning in the suburban. Gas about to eat a hole in the wallet. Does anyone tow with the HL? Thinking of getting one with the 6cyl.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    I wouldn't recomend using the Highlander for towing, neither would I recommend buying a Highlander NOW because it's out of date.
    A Toyota 4Runner is much more of a real off road vehicle but isn't very comfortable or practicle.
    I better idea would be to wait for the new Highlander, or get the excellent Honda Ridgeline. The Ridgeline can tow 5000 pounds and is really a great pick up truck because it's comfortable, and refined. Just add a bed cover and you're set.
    So either a new Highlander or a Ridgeline in my opinion. But I recommend the Ridgline more
    What do you think?
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    I have a 2004 V6 4X4 and we tow a 1,400 GVW (loaded) pop-up trailer for camping. Two weeks ago we went to Wisconsin camping, put on 350 miles round trip, got 19.25 MPG for a 50/50 mixed 4-lane interstate at 60 MPH and back-roads highways at 55 with lots of little towns to slow down for and lots of hills. Handling is great, acceleration is practically like nothing is back there. Yes, 1,400 lbs. is light for a trailer (that's why we got this specific model), but the HL has plenty of power to spare.
    Why wait for the new model and pay $1,000's more, unless it's really a priority to get a new style.
    It's not style. It's refinement, gas improvment, safety improvments, quality improvments and other things. Not just style.
    A more fuel - efficient engine, reduced whiplash and better safety ratings, a quieter ride, a more comfortable ride, and better things
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Are you absolutely certain a new Hylander is coming out this fall? That would make a very short run for the Hybrid? Assumimng a new generation comes out utilizing the 3.5 V6, what makes you think it will get better gas mileage than the '04-06 considering the fact it will be heavier and larger than the current? Even the new RAV4 V6 gets but 3 mpg better highway than the current Hylander.
    The new Highlander wont have WORSE fuel economy - it'll be more efficient. Common sense. Gas prices going up --> car sales will not increase like crazy. Fuel efficient cars --> more sales --> more profit.

The new Highlander will not have worse fuel economy, and WILL be better than the previous in overall refinment, quality, and you know what I'm getting to. My point is, the new Highlander will be better, not worst.
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Again, do you have any manufacturer confirmed information regarding the '07 Highlander?
    The future Highlander page on edmunds page.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Preview/styleId=100531781
  • acg123acg123 Member Posts: 2
    How can you be so sure it will get better gas mileage? The only thing Toyota announced was that it would have a "larger V6." If it was going to get better gas mileage, don't you think they would have mentioned that too?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Toyota/Lexus now has a 3.5L V6 engine that uses SFI & DFI. Sequential Fuel Injection at the intake and Direct Fuel Injection into the combustion chamber at or near TDC.

That allows the use of a "learn burn" technique resulting in improved MPG. The RX350 is likely to get the new engine in the fall as is the Highlander.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The 3.5 liter engine in the new Camry and Avalon has better EPA ratings than the previous 3.0 and 3.3 liter engines. Thus it is probably safe to assume that the Highlander ratings with the 3.5 will be higher also. I have yet to reach the EPA highway rating of 24 mpg on my 2004 Highlander. Generally get 22 in 70-75 mpg cruising.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I just completed a 3600 mile round trip in my '04 HL V6 and one way I was averaging 19 mpg driving 75 - 80 on the cheapest gas I could find (some with 10% ethanol). And on the return trip I averaged 23 mpg on 91 octane. Gas for the cheapest was from $3.45 per gallon in Palm Springs CA to $2.51 per gallon in Oklahoma City. I have not sat down to figure if the extra 20 cents per gallon was worth the extra mileage I was getting.
    Oh come on, really. The V6 that will be used is the one for the Avalon - or they might just add some more horsepower, but it's the same engine. That engine is very fuel efficient.
    What they know - Gas prices are going up, so the sales of SUVS are not the best.
    THEY KNOW that fuel efficient cars are what PEOPLE WANT.
    THEY HAVE a new fuel efficient engine.

*The gas mileage of a Toyota Highlander 07 will not be worse than the current one - you know that. It will be pushed up about 1 or 2mpg in the city.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Assuming $3/gal for regular and $3.20 for premium, you spent $284 with the regular and $250 for the premium so paying extra was definitely worth it for the mileage gain. Unless the gas price differential was more than 20%, you came out ahead with the premium. I am going to try the same experiment this summer on a trip of about 2200 miles.
    If any Highlander owners are receiving poor winter traction, I recommend switching to Yokohama Geolander tires. They perform MUCH better and are quieter. The ratings for snow traction on the standard Bridgestone Dueler tire was 3, :mad: and Yokohama was 7.3 out of 10. It handles much better in dry too. It feels like I put new shocks on the car, its grippe is really great. :shades: They are about $80 each.

[Just a suggestion if any of you are encontoring this]
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    hello to all of you!
    a good friend of mine who's a car dealer, called me with this offer:
    there is an Action these days for a 2003 HL, basic 4cyl,25k miles. He could buy it for me ( my wife actually) for $14k+ taxes.
    I am not sure if it has the VSC available ( which I insist on having), but i'll find out.
    WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ABOUT THIS OFFER?
    My wife is insisting on buying- it's GOLD and TAN interior :confuse:
    Thanks to ALL for any advice!
    Dan
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can appraise it here while waiting for comments.

Steve, Host
  • lascottcalascottca Member Posts: 11
    1) How did the Highlander do in the rollover tests? 2) If 85% ethanol ever takes off, will it be possible to convert the toyota gas engine for ethanol and how expensive? Thanks
    They have conversion kits for various vehicles that run around $700. I don't think that includes labor. But why would you want to convert? Performance suffers and you pay a gas mileage penalty of 10-15%. Also there are few stations that have converted to carry E85. I don't know what state you are in but use the link below to find stations. I clicked on Arizona and found none in Phoenix for instance. Sixth largest city in the US.

http://www.e85fuel.com/database/search.php
    I don't know how good a deal it is. In 2004 I bought a base 4-cylinder for right at $20K new, and newspaper ads had them available for even less. You're talking about a 3-year old vehicle. I do like the gold and tan, though, and the tan has held up well. Another thought -- this is low mileage, so you should try to find out how it was driven. My wife drives her car mainly to and from work, almost 5 miles each way, and often will drive only 8K miles a year. If a car is driven frequently on very short stop-and-go situations, the wear on the engine could be considerable. If you can't verify how the car was driven, have a reputable mechanic check it out.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    that's a good tip with the low mileage. Thanks!
    In the meantime I found out that car has no VSC ( standard on 2004 and above) and has an aftermarket sunroof installed. Not too crazy about that...
  • carsx3carsx3 Member Posts: 2
    I live within the 5 boroughs of New York City. My commute to work is 36 miles round trip. I drive alone Mon to Fri but I transport my family on the weekends.
    1)If I buy the 2006 Toyota Highlander, is the 4 cylinder engine powerful enough for a family of 4?
    2)Is the air conditioner "limited in performance" when you have a 4 cylinder engine? One salesman told me the V6 engine will give better air conditioning performance when you are going uphill with a full load.
    Any Highlander owner please advise.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Personally, I would not buy the 4 in any HL. Many do and seem OK with it, but if you have mountains to climb, and 4 passengers a lot of the time, the V6 is the only way to go IMO. I would think that the salesguy is correct in the comment about uphill, 4 pass, and the A/C on. Others may disagree. In Canada, Toyota no longer offers the 4 cyl HL as the sales numbers did not justify it.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    I too live in NYC. I have the 4wd Hybrid and enjoy it very much. With my knowledge of the local terrain, I don't think you need to worry about hills and the a/c.
    From what I've read on the 4cyl. I think you'll be perfectly happy for 5 out of 7 days. For 2 days you'll take it easy. I would also recommend the 2wd with the 4cyl.
    It's all relative. It's got enough power but until you drive it you won't know if it's enough for you.
    Take the entire family out for a test drive. I know Toyota North and Star have larger inventories. They may be more able to accommodate test drives of the different types.
    Your salesman is bonkers....

Assuming a fixed displacement "clutched" A/C compressor...

Since the I4 engine RPM will generally be higher than with a V6 the A/C in the I4 might even give better service. Excluding WOT operations where both have the A/C disabled.

If we assume a more modern variable displacement compressor system then the argument is mute on both sides.
    Go with a V6 because 4 cylinder are never made as good as a V6, and have unmatched refinement. And besides, a 4cyl Highlander can't possibly have such great acceleration.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " Go with a V6 because 4 cylinder are never made as good as a V6 "

Not made as good? LOL.....What do you base that on?

We have the 4 cyl here in Florida where we're always running the a/c, but no hills and usually it's just the wife and I. The 4 cyl is sufficient for us. But loaded down with 4 adults and in hilly areas, I'd go with the 6 cyl.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    So all those 4 cyl Camrys which use the same engine and which are bought by most people over the V6 are buying an inferior engine? Plenty of people have reported on Edmunds that the 4 cyl has enough power for the Highlander.Yea if you're a leadfoot the V6 is better,and also for steep hills or towing.The 4 is better in the city for mpg and has a timing chain instead of a timing belt as in the current V6, no need for belt replacement.
  • rugby65rugby65 Member Posts: 81
    Does the 2003 HL v6 have a timing chain or belt?
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    All Highlander V6's have timing belts. Please stick to the maintenance schedule as these are also 'interference' engines. 90K miles IIRC ( That is if the belt breaks it is possible for the piston to smash into a valve that is open and damage the valve, valve guides, heads and pistons.)
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    "Go with a V6 because 4 cylinder are never made as good as a V6, and have unmatched refinement."

It appears that you have never tried or owned a Toyota 4cyl engine. This 4cyl has to be one of the most refined and reliable engines in the world today. Does it have the power of the 6cyl? NO. Is it smooth, quiet and strong enough for to satisfy many? You bet.
    Here is the link to Toyota's website with some information and pictures of the new Highlander concept! I know that some of you have been waiting for more information on this. :) Here it is:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/ftsx.html
    It is a concept vehicle and may never be built. I sure don't want to ride around on 21" wheels! People waiting for this HL will have a long wait IMO.
    I doubt it will have the 21 inch wheels, but the body will be similar.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    As long as they get rid of those round louvered inserts in the front bumper on non-limited models I'll be happy.
    Yes. A lot of those details are just to make it look better. They always add those silly things on concepts but it's different on the real car ;)
  • aaypeeaaypee Member Posts: 1
    I have this same problem now (a rock chip on the windshield) and my Highlander is leased. I am worried that the repair will not "pass muster" when I return the Highlander to the dealer. Do these repairs last? My "chip" is dime or nickel-sized about 8 inches up from the bottom of the windshield on the passenger side. Definitely won't affect line of sight. I am covered for full replacement by my insurance but like bobby11 am also worried about improper installation, not matching the factory equip, etc. My insurance recommends same company (Safelite) as bobby11's. Thanks for any help. Bobby11 if you are there how did you make out with your repair?
    At least in Massachusetts the insurance company cannot insist that you go to one repair place or the other. They must cover the work at the place of your choice. So check BBB listings and ask around for recommendations!
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I plan to buy a 2004 2WD, 4 Cylinder HL with 22,000 miles.

1) Does the Owners Manual recommend regular gas?

2) Are there any known problems/recalls with a 2004 FWD HL?

Any other things to test or watch out for? Thanks!
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    I have exact same model.Regular gas is used. Only known recall is an adjustment to rear doors' child lock system.Only real thing not liked is coasting ability in city.Car does not coast well between 20-30 mph if not in 4th gear.Enough power for me as I don't tow anything.Highway meets EPA mileage of 27 at 65-70 mph.
    I also have the same model and have been very happy with it. Enough power to merge safely in traffic and to cruise at 75-80 mph with 4 adults and the cargo area packed full. (I'm sure it would go faster than that if I wanted.) Over the first 30,000 miles I have averaged over 25 mph using nothing but regular gas.

It's not a recall, but some people have complained in this forum about radio reception. Some have the in-glass antenna, and others the flex wire. I have the latter and reception is as good as in any car I have owned. But I would suggest that you check it out on a test drive and see if you get a clear signal for example with FM stations broadcasting from 30-40 miles away (as the crow flies).
  • hsvillagehsvillage Member Posts: 36
    An interesting thing happen last week after taking my '01 HL in for an oil change & tire rotation. I had bought 4 Michelin LTX M/S in Aug '04 from the dealer and have been getting the free tire rotation every 5K miles or so. While waiting I heard my name called to see the tech in service, he asked me if I had replaced the tires I had bought from them. I told him I had not since they had only 31K miles on them and was there a problem. He told me all 4 tires measured 10-11/32nds which was what a new tire would measure. I apologized for not having more wear and he replied "no, no that's good". I bought the tires because of a number of favorable comments on this forum and "The Tire Rack" web site have been more than happy with them.
    I replaced my Michelin cross terrains on my 2001 AWD RX300 at about 45,000 miles and they look as if they could go another 45,000 miles safely.

Went to Bridgestone Turanza summer only tires primarily for quietness but they are more comfortable riding also.
  • seedoseedo Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have recently purchased a 2006 highlander Limited (Non-Hybrid) and there is a bizzare problem with the navigation system. The navigation system will not dim into Night mode (black background) Night mode works only when the headlight switch is toggeled on and the key is turned to accessory. When I start it returns to Day mode. I read the manual and It says that Day mode will be remembered with the light in the on position if you shut the engine off if day mode is enabled. I have tried every combination of light modes and ignition combinations as well to no avail. I have even disconnected the battery. Please Help

Thanks

KP
    If you have the instrument/guage lighting turned up to maximum the Nav will always be in day mode. Also it will not go into night mode with the solar, daylight, sensor exposed to light.
    Does anybody know how to remove the cross-bars from the roof rack? I loosened, and took out those knobs next to each cross - bar but they wont come out. What should I do?

Thank you for any help!
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    I'm in the market for a late model Highlander V-6 with the trailer Tow Package. I know that this package adds a PS cooler, A/T cooler, larger radiator and trailer wiring. Does anyone know how to visually determine if a Highlander has this package? Is the trailer wiring visable if I look underneath? Thanks for any help.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Looking back in the history here, it seems that several people have tried to remove the roof rack bars over the years, but no one ever posted the way to do it that I can see.

Any luck with yours yet?

Steve, Host