Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    master1 was refered to post #209 in the Toyota Highlander Accessories & Modifications discussion. I followed the instructions, and succesfully removed my crossbars. I added some info to the thread starting in #3652 Highlander problems and solutions.
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    I have an '04 V6 4X4. The original printed brochure for it says the "Towing Prep Package" includes upgraded radiator, tranny oil cooler, 130 amp alternator and trailer "pre-wiring". I had a DrawTite hitch professionally installed, the tech said he wouldn't even mess with the "pre-wiring" harness, had a splice-in harness specifically designed for the HL for the 7-pin connector I needed. It was quicker & cheaper for him to go that way than fish for the "pre-wiring". Works like a champ. Unfortunately, I do not know what to look for on any given used HL to tell if it's got one.
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Since the HD radiator looks like the standard one, as does the HD alternator, and finding the pre-wiring in the rear requires you to take out the left rear storage bin, the most obvious of the towing package upgrades is the transmission cooler. Look at the drivers side front thru the opening just below the foglight. If you see what looks like a small radiator, then you have the transmission cooler. Since it was not offered on any other package except the towing package, I would use this to tell if it had the factory towing package.
    Granted someone could have just added a tranny cooler on their own, but I would use this to get a good idea as they probably would have added the tranny cooler for towing purposes.
  • cmw829cmw829 Member Posts: 19
    This option is high on our list, but we've been unable to find the HL 4x4 4 cyl with them in New England. One dealer checked his production sheet and said they don't produce them that way for NE.

Then, I was told today that I will not find them on the HL 4x4 6 cyl unless upgrading to the HL LTD, which is financially an issue for us.

Would any of you have the real deal with side curtain airbags on this vehicle? Thanks in advance.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    When we bought our Highlander in 2004 you could not get the 4-cyl. with side airbags. I suspect that still is the case.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    Just looked at the e-brochure on Toyota's web site. Looks like you don't have to get the LTD, but it does look like you have to go 4x4 V6 w/third row(6928) and option combo B. Local place has about 10 listed on it's website configured at 31,829 list price.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Depends on where you live. That is why they ask for your zip code when you get on the site. Each region configures its options for that region. The availability of certain options is far from standardized.
  • eddieeeddiee Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2002 V6 AWD Highlander which I have been mostly happy with except that I recently needed to have all the brakes done at 46,000 including new rotors on the rear, which should be not expected.
    However, since I have been mostly happy with Toyotas and have owned several (with distaterous "buy American" attempts with a Taurus and a Jeep intersperced) we were looking to buy a 2004 Camry SE when they had a year end discount. We wanted side curtain airbags but none were available with this option. We ended up ordering from the factory a 2005 Camry SE with side curtain airbags, which was an option. After waiting 3 months the dealer said that his 'preference orders' were not being accepted. We ended up getting an Altima off the lot with side curtain airbags.
    All basic safety features (which I consider side curtain airbags to be one) should be available on all models, at the very least for factory orders. These are safety features not 6-CD stereos. Even though side curtain airbags are a listed option they would not deliver a car with them.
    I think Toyota is the most arrogant in forcing you to buy the top line models to get safety features. They were also one of the last to include ABS as standard on Camrys.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Stark contrast to my factory order for a Ford Ranger a few months ago -- selected exactly the options I wanted and only took 6 weeks.
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    I've had my Highlander a little over 1 week (V6. FWD, base model). I like it very much. It came down to a choice between the H/L, Liberty, and Escape. For myself, I liked the Escape's exterior, and the Liberty's front seats and controls. Overall, however, the H/L was my clear favorite. Likes: engine/transmission, ride, seat comfort, rear-seat roominess, rear hatch (no external spare tire). And, it's a Toyota! Also, I really like the color (bluestone). Gripes are minor: couldn't get curtain air bags on base model; armrests get in the way when buckling your seat belt; prop rod for the hood looks/feels cheap; and (as far as I know) you have to get the JBL to get a 6-disc player. I also would have liked illuminated vanity mirrors and factory security alarm, but that required a sunroof! Overall, however, I am pleased with my purchase. This is my first Toyota (having owned 5 Honda products over the years). I look forward to my first road trip!
    I agree with you. We searched hard for a 2006 HL with side curtain airbags. Of course, none of the dealers fessed up that we needed to get the 6 cyl AWD with the 3rd seat, or that the airbags were part of the $2585 MSRP option combo. Yes, we spent far more than we wanted and got far more car than we needed. But we have the airbags. {{sigh}}

My husband voiced his objection to the Toyota optioning approach at every opportunity.
    Several phone calls after I posted this, I did get a final answer. Disappointing from a price perspective, but the minimum vehicle on which they are offered is the AWD 6 cyl with the 3rd row seat. They are included in the $2585 MSRP option package offered on that vehicle.

It's unfortunate that it was so hard to get that info. Thanks for the replies.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    I hope you enjoy your Highlander! It'll be great! I have the 2004 base V-6 front wheel drive. I have a big suggestion for you - do you have the garbuage Bridgestone Dueler tires? Those tires are TERRIBLE, in snow and rain. I suggest considering Yokohama Geolander tires. I put them on my car, and it feels like I put new shocks. And it handles great in snow.

How were your previous Honda's? Reliable? Unreliable?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.carspace.com/master1
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Out of curiosity - what is the average highway mpg you get with the your FWD V6 HL? Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check out Toyota Highlander: MPG - Real World Numbers for more mileage reports.

tidester, host
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    My HL has Toyo tires--the model is call Trans-something or other.

As for the Honda products:

1988 Accord LX sedan--had it for two years and 39,000 miles. Only problem (other than dirt in window regulator and erratic power door locks) was a clutch replacement. As it started slipping at 9000 miles, dealer replaced it gratis and sent the bad one off to Japan.

1990 Legend--what a car! I kept it for 5 years and 65,000 miles. Quite a machine in its day. It had a nice blend of luxury and sportiness that I think Acura would do well to replicate today. Other than a couple of bulbs burning out and a door striker adjustment, I replaced the battery (less than 3 years) and the muffler (less than 4 years).

1993 Accord 10th Anniversary Sedan--only kept for 2 years, nothing replaced in that time.

1998 Accord LX V6 sedan--other than a couple of minor squeaks and rattles (this was the first year of this design) nothing serious.

As you can see, the Hondas held up well. One thing I remember is that battery and muffler life seemed low to me, whether the car was driven mainly locally, or on long trips. My favorite was the 1990 Legend. Even friends of mine who are German car fanatics were impressed with that car.

Currently, I have a 2000 Mercedes C-class and the Highlander. I'm sure I'll buy another Honda. I look forward to the next Accord a little over a year from now.
    Enjoy your Highlander! The Pilot is my only Honda I ever owned. Not too happy with it because of the steering wheel vibrations. It's a huge flaw in the car. It's not from the tires, it's in the body.

But anyway, the Highlander has been great. It's not too fun to drive, like most toyota's, but it always starts and never has problems! :)

To answer the previous post, my gas mileage is:

16 city
    22 highway

Combined I usually get 20.

Since your thinking about the Highlander, I would strongly suggest waiting for the new Highlander. This one is out-dated for today's time. Do not purchase the Camry because of transmission problems that still hasn't been fixed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.carspace.com/master1
  • anthony921anthony921 Member Posts: 40
    From www.theautochannel.com

For 2007, the Highlander mid-size SUV will add safety enhancements and significant additional value. All Highlander gas models will receive driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags and front and second row side curtain airbags with roll-over sensor as standard equipment. In addition, the 2007, Highlander offers new and value oriented Extra Value Packages (EVPs). The base MSRP for conventional Highlander models range from $24,880 for the 2WD four-cylinder model to $32,210 for the 4WD Limited V6 model. Total Highlander average MSRP increase is $350 or 1.3 percent.

Highlander Hybrid will offer two-row models for both base and Limited grades for 2007. The base MSRP ranges from $32,490 for the 2WD base two-row model to $36,550 for the 4WD Limited three-row model. For 2007, highlander Hybrid also offers new and value oriented EVPs. Full federal hybrid tax credit will be available for purchases completed through September 2006. The approved credit amount for Highlander Hybrid is $2,600

Link to articlelink title
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    Toyota dealership said I will need new tires soon with tread at 3/32 of an inch. Only have 25,000 on EOM Toyos on 2004 HL. From previous messages, three tires are mentioned the most. Priced the tires at Discount Tires website, not including mounting. Would appreciate any comments on these tires. Thanks.

Goodyear Fortera Triple Thread - $167 each
    Yokohama Geolander HR - $105 each
    Michelin Cross Terrains, $156, LTX MS - $136

On my Chevrolet, I have Goodyear Eagles which have warn great. Is is worth extra for the Goodyear.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Tirerack has the Goodyear Triples Tread for $133. There's also a $40 rebate when buying 4 Goodyear tires. I have 7,500 on my Triple Treads and they are a SUPERB tire.

Never had the Yokohama tires, but many swear buy them. I did check them out and the sidewall is much thinner than the Triple Tread sidewall. They appear to be a cheaper tire, but better then the JUNK Toyo OEM tires.

If you need new tires for a trade-in, get the cheapest. If you plan to keep the vehilce for a few years, get the best. IMHO, the Triple Treads are the ebst.

Had the Michelin X Terrain on a previous HL and a Tundra. I wouldn't buy them again as they got noisey after about 20K miles and did poorly in rain. My son had the LTX MS on his Ranger and I thought they rode better than the XTerrain.
  • shortonshorton Member Posts: 10
    Hi guys:

Can someone tell me what exists (or doesnt) ona HL w/o the 3rd row seat? I have a 02 without it and the spare is where it would be. I presume the spare is also underneath now on the new models, so what's where the seat would have been? A storage compartment?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    For 2004 and up models the body rear end was reworked to accomodate the 3rd row seat and spare is now mounted outside and underneath. The gas tank size was also reduced to 19.1 gallons.For 2004+ models w/o 3rd row seats there is a small storage space under the main trunk panel.
    typesix: Thanks for the info. I don't remember what the tank capacity is on my 02 model. It would have you believe it's running dry when it's got 18 missing from tank. How much did they reduce it?
    I think pre-3004 models had a 20 gal tank.
  • trevorwtrevorw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Highlander with 40,000 kms. On Tuesday night the check engine, VSC, and Trak Off warning lights came on. They stayed on until Thursday night when upon start-up they were all off and have remained off.

I made an appointment with Toyota when the lights came on but it will be a week before they can get me in. They said I could continue to drive in the meantime - no worries. When I called to tell them the warning lights went off, they said that this was normal, but the system still should be checked.

Anyone else with this situation or what happened with your 2001?
    The lights came on while you were driving, or when you put the key on the "ON" position? They are supposed to flash on the "ON" position. I have a 2004 too. Once a long time ago the same thing happened. I turned the engine off, then back on and it went away. Sometimes the car's computer (ECU?) goes a little crazy. Haha
  • jackmick656jackmick656 Member Posts: 61
    Have had my V6 03 HL for 3.5 years and have a whopping 25,000 miles on the meter. Have had no problems so far and the Goodyear Integreties still look new. Still rides like the day I bought it. No rattles and smooth as silk. Glad I bought it.
  • jimbo50jimbo50 Member Posts: 2
    Whats involved in adding a 3rd row seat to my 05 Highlander base model? I saw a 3rd seat w/ seatbelts a while back on e-bay for around $500. I don't really care but wife thinks she wants one.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    You will have to look very carefully at yours and one with a 3rd row seat and see if there's anything missing other than the seat. My guess is that there may be some attachment hardware that might not be part of the seat plus the seat belts and seat belts attachment points.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    Not as easy as one thinks. The OEM seatbelts come from the rear pillars, adding these would involve trim pieces and possibly more that I am not aware of. I'm not sure if the 2nd row seats on the base model move fore and aft. If they don't, you will have a leg room issue. Also the 2nd row seat articulates to allow access to the third row.
    Wants and needs are different things. If she needs the third row, I say trade in the 05.
  • jimbo50jimbo50 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys. I guess the 3rd seat is off the table for now.
    I also have a base Highlander w/o the 3rd row seat and have looked at versions that do have the 3rd seat. The second row seats do move foward in the base models. The versions that do have the 3rd row have an extra lever on the 2nd seat that duplicates the folding of the seat. The 3rd row seat uses the hidden storage area foward of the spare tire tool compartment on the base models. I believe that the entire 3rd row seat including the track and seatbelt hardware and plastic trim pieces must be removed in order to be able to install it into a base model. The base model appears to have an elevated metal base that takes up space if the 3rd seat is not used and may be where 3rd row occupant legs would go and this would be removed.I wanted the 3rd row but Toyota wouldn't sell 3rd row with 4 cyl base version in my zip code.Stupid!
    Looks like a place for a cat to nap.
    I'd like to see a shot from teh rear with it up/down. Highlander's aren't on their website though.
  • jmsinmdjmsinmd Member Posts: 6
    This is a new product for them. I was told it should be featured on their site in the next week or two. You can still call and place an order though. I'll try to remember to take a pic from the rear. Out of curiousity why that angle??
    What do you need a huge arm rest for?
    Bottom line is comfort, if you own or have driven a Highlander I'm surprised you wouldn't agree. I purchased the vehicle for my wife but was so uncomfortable in it we'd take my car. When I did drive the Highlander before, rather than trying to balance my arm on the tiny driver's side armrest I'd rest it on the passenger side. I'm sure other HL owners understand exactly what I'm talking about. Plus I'm 6'6, close to 300 so I'm a pretty big guy, so maybe the size of the OE armrest isn't for me but in fact a tiny 5'5 Japanese guy? The HL is a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) vehicle so my theory might actually be accurate. Jon.
  • powerman2powerman2 Member Posts: 2
    Yes the SUV is Called the Toyota FJ CRUISER, it doesnt carry the third row seat in it, its more for off roading and 4x4. very nice. and for an SUV that runs between 27 to 30000 that is nice. :)
  • powerman2powerman2 Member Posts: 2
    Fully loaded, you are right for that price, its an upgrade package 2 with all the options you want except navigation, and leather, which you can add leather to the car.
    Most cars are designed to fit people from the 5th to 95th percentile. You are definitely at the far end of the bell shaped curve ;)
  • billranbillran Member Posts: 113
    I am 5'8" and my only complaint about the Highlander is the tiny armrests, that for me are far to narrow to comfortably rest my arm on for more than just a few minutes. I usually just fold it to the upright position. That modified armrest looks like it may be the solution to my problem! Thanks for taking the time to research this issue and share the solution with us all. I plan to order one on Monday and will let you know how it works for me.

My only concern is whether the connection to the backreast is strong enouth to support the added weight and strain of the wider armrest, especially when the drivers arm is placed further out on the rest. Does it seem pretty secure to you?

Thanks again

Jim
    I want to see the space (or not) between the seats after installation. And how well it aligns with other rest.
    1. The armrest is secure enough that the passenger armrest is usually in the upright position and both driver and front passenger share the wider armrest.

2. Pictures as requested
    Thanks very much for the trouble to take and load the pic. I like it being wider, but I'd really rather it be about 2x of teh factory instead of filling th ewhole gap. No way to reach in the back floor with it up.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I use the nav system in my 2004 all the time. Anyway, this episode hardly seems to be a reason not to buy Toyotas. What you experienced is no different for other makes. When a new technology rolls out, it doesn't magically appear in every model in the same model year.
    Lol, very interesting. You'd give up comfort for the ability "to reach in the back floor with it up"?? What about leaving it in the down position when you do need to reach to the back floor?
    You read too much into what I said. Didn't say anything about giving up comfort. I'm not a huge person but I, too find the stock AR's too small. Just a little bigger would be fine for me and make them perfectly comfortable. If they want to go for comfort they should implement the ratcheting device like my 06 Sienna has. That adds a lot to the comfort level even with anarrow AR.

I don't need a table to serve from :). More often than reaching for something, I'm putting something back there. I don't use the AR all the time and would find it a little annoying to have to put the thing down just to pick something out of the passenger seat to sit in the back floor. That happens a lot where I have stuff in teh passenger seat and someone comes along to go somewhere with me and I have to clear the seat. Obviously not a huge deal, but would be less of an issue if the thing wasn't full width. Or had optional widths. As long as I'm recommending - a removable cover would be good, too, like my seat covers.
  • rugby65rugby65 Member Posts: 81
    "to reach in the back floor with it up"?? What about leaving it in the down position when you do need to reach to the back floor?"

you must have real long arms if you can reach into the back seat or floor with your arm rest down.