Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• avusblueavusblue Member Posts: 4
    Hello all --

I’m a new owner of a 2006 Highlander V6. Had it for a month so far. Great vehicle and we’re very happy. Thought I’d pass along a couple tips and ask a couple questions:

1) We purchased the WeatherTech FloorLiner brand mats and they are fantastic. Expensive, but worth it. They have perfect fit and profile front & rear, and look like they’ll be just the ticket with winter slop coming. Their gray is a perfect color match for our "Ash" color interior.

2) I got my Garmin i5 GPS navigator installed and up & running. Next project is my XM “MyFi” radio receiver. Has anybody tried the USASpec “DF-TOY” auxiliary audio input device? It runs 2 audio sources into the CD changer input of the factory radio. You toggle back and forth between the two aux sources by selecting what “disc” is playing on the simulated CD changer. It seems perfect -- if it’s really what it’s cracked up to be. Any comments or feedback on this device is much appreciated.

3) Just a hint -- keep a Torx “T-30” screwdriver tool in your driver’s door pocket. Then, when you’re working on your Highlander with the driver’s door open you can bypass the “key-in” dinger (and the overhead lights) by giving a couple turns to back out the Torx fastener of the plunger on the driver’s door jamb. When you’re done working, a couple turns back in and everything’s back to normal. It’s nice to not have that dinger driving you crazy while working on the car or just having the door open to enjoy listening to the radio while working in the garage.

4) The owner’s manual mentions that Highlander locks can be programmed to all unlock on the first press of the remote button (as opposed to just the driver’s door unlocking and then a second press unlocks the rest). I would prefer this. Has anyone had their dealer reprogram their car to do this, if so did they charge you, and/or are you aware of a way we can do it ourselves? Are there other “personalization” programmable features we can select? I know GM cars have tons of selectable settings, accessable via the in-dash display.

5) My glove box door is hard to close -- requires quite a slam, which disrupts all my neatly organized items inside! Yet I can’t see how the latch or striker may be adjustable. Are they? I’d rather do something like this myself than risk the dealer messing it, or something else, up worse.

Thanks to all for your comments!

Dave
  • cesarosoliscesarosolis Member Posts: 1
    dave:

I can not help you with your questions since I just got my Hl sport 2006, but I will appreciate if you tell me where to buy some accessories for it., like running boards bug deflector., in gnarls accessories.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Stopped by the dealership today and they had a few '07s, both hybrid and non-hybrid.

As expected no major design change.

Only difference I noted via a casual scan of the interior and exterior is the "Limited" exterior chrome badge has been moved from the front fender to the rear door, and the Hybrid has a "Hybrid" chrome badge on the front fender. The "Sport" chrome badge is still on the front fender.

A brief perusal of the '07 brochure didn't reveal any obvious differences (the new crystal white color introduced with the mid '06 Sport model release is now included in the brochure).
  • heidigreenlawheidigreenlaw Member Posts: 26
    We've received a quote on an 06 Limited Highlander w/ Leather, heated seats, optional side curtain air bags, tow prep package, extra value package (6 disc in-dash cd player & cassette, moonroof, etc.) wheel locks & carpet/cargo mat set. The price we were given was $30,895 AFTER the $2,000 incentive/rebate.

Does that sound like a good deal considering it's AFTER the $2,000 rebate?

Also, who gets that actual $2,000? The customer or the dealer?

Thanks!
  • jmsinmdjmsinmd Member Posts: 6
    Suggestion from a previous salesperson. Check out kbb.com, autos.msn.com and edmunds.com for prices. In Maryland we have carmax.com which most dealer's are hesitant to match prices with but will. I had Car Max price beat by $900. Basically what you're buying the HL for is $32,895, doesn't sound like the best deal. For an 06 HL V6 AWD, w/Cold weather package, preferred package, fog lights, moonroof, floormats, appearance package, side/curtain airbags, daytime running lights and towing package we paid $28k plus tax/tags. MSRP was $31,829.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Do you believe the next generation highlander will come out in spring 2007 as a 2008 model.
    The long anticipated major redesign is indeed expected in the 2008 model year.

There was only one post here in which the poster was told by a salesman that the next generation HL may be released early, in mid '07. Reason for this is the redesign was pushed back from '07 to '08 due to delays. But this is based just on just this one source. Also this may be inconsistent with the fact Motortrend has been saying for quite some time (at least a couple years) that the redesign is expected in the '08 model year, and thus if due to delays, would have to have been due to delays induced at least a couple of years ago. In light of this I'm going to back off for now on saying the '08 may be released early.
    2008 Highlander (comming q2 of 2007)
    -saw the full size clay model, no engine or interior.
    -Will have a V6 with 285 HP
    -Sleek lines, looks to have a wider stance.
    -Has a hide away middle row seat between the 2nd row capatains chairs.
    I found this on http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154046&page=2 which he says that the new Highlander is coming out in Q2 of 2007. I am not sure where that falls in 2007 but I guess it may be March when Q2 starts. So that means the Highlander after all may be coming out in spring of 2007 after all.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    No mention on the link about whether they still will offer the 4-cyl. in the redesigned Highlander. If they don't, they will lose a good number of would-be repeat customers. But I read somewhere a while back that this would be the case.
    I've had my 2006 Limited AWD for about one week now & I just noticed something. All the other Limited Highlanders I see on the road have their "Limited" signs on the front side fenders of the car (even the ones in the brochure the dealership gave me have them there). The "Limited" signs on my Highlander are on the rear passenger doors. Are anyone else's on the rear passenger doors? Did they change location of the "Limited" sign at some point during production?
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I think maybe for 2006 it was relocated.
    My understanding is it was relocated to the rear passenger doors for '07 -- perhaps heidigreenlaw has an '07, not an '06?
    Did a Google on "2008 Highlander" -- a few of the hits seem to indicate it will come out in early to mid '07, so I'll re-adopt my prediction that it may indeed come out early.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    It was moved during the '06 year to make room for the new hybrid badges. All limited models now have the limited signs on the doors.
  • bjosephsbjosephs Member Posts: 13
    Visited my local dealer in S.E. MA and was told by the sales manager that the Highlander will come out as a 2007 model for a short model run and be replaced by the next generation model in March or April. He claimed to have received this information from the regional district manager but wouldn't comment on how the Highlander will change. So let's wait and see how accurate his intel is.
    I guess we will find out how the new highlander will look like when the auto show comes to North America in early 2007. I have a feeling though we will start seeing spy photos of the 2008 highlander later this year.
    Can anyone tell me if I can have this feature installed some how - on my last couple of cars the doors automatically locked as you either placed the car in gear or hit a certain speed, like 10 mph. I can't believe my Highlander doesn't do this and I've gotten out of the habit of locking the doors now.

Any idea how I can have this done/installed?
    I've asked this before and was told this wasn't "doable." Our 1996 Explorer had auto-locking doors as does my Camry. You gotta wonder why Toyota left this feature off the Highlander.
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    Someone on one of the other forums had it done with the use of an aftermarket alarm system. Sorry I don't remember which forum.
    I did a google search and came up with this link - this looks like what I'm looking for!!

http://www.coastaletech.com/lock.htm
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    From what I understand the 2008 Highlander will be redesigned on the Avalon Platform, growing larger.
    Please buy, install, and report back :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Although I have seen posts of late indicating an early release of the 2008 Highlander on or around April 2008 a Toyota Guy disputes this. With him noting the release at or near the release date for the 2007s.

Any one heard anything new on the release dates for the 2008 Highlander?

Personally I am hesitant to buy a 2007 until I can see just what they will be doing in 2007.

The current model is past due for remodeling with it originally coming out in 2001.
    2008 Highlander (comming q2 of 2007)
    -saw the full size clay model, no engine or interior.
    -Will have a V6 with 285 HP
    -Sleek lines, looks to have a wider stance.
    -Has a hide away middle row seat between the 2nd row capatains chairs.
    This was on The Toyota Nation website which points to a spring 07 release as a 08 model. I have also heard from other sources that the 08 model will come out in spring 07. I have not though seen any photos of what the new highlander will look like.
    I keep hearing and seeing this "sleek lines" concept which has been circulating with various models vehicles.

However, what I oftne end up seeing is a more rounded vehicle with less rear visibility.

I am not into "round" vehicles. Perhaps I am just old school?
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Toyota Highlander
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    The specs. on front leg room indicate that the hybrid has over 2 inches more leg room than the non-hybrid. Why would this be? I sat in a hybrid at a show and the leg room felt fine. Is the difference really noticable in the non-hybrid? I am 5'10" tall.
    The Specs are different for front leg room? Where did you read that?

Consumer Reports shows identical front leg room, 41"

I myself am 5'9" and with long legs and had no trouble with leg room in test driving the non-hybrid 07 Toyota Highlander more than once.

In fact I believe there is plenty of leg room for a 6 footer. JMO
    I got that right out of the '07 brochure.
    In any case, as I mentioned earlier, their is plenty of leg room for someone 5'10" with other than a 6'10" ers legs................(smile)
    I picked up a brochure as well. And I also note that the Hybrid weighs 300+ lbs more.

I am still having some trouble deciphering what the 3 numbers for leg room mean:

Non-Hybrid Limited: 40.7/36.4/30.2

Hybrid: 42.9/34.6/30.2

Noting that the middle number is higher for the non-hybrid.

I have been test driving the Non-Hybrids all over town, although I am approximately 3-5 months away from a purchase.
    Something I would suggest if you have some concerns about leg room.

I have known people of approimately the same leg length, with one saying there was plenty of leg room and the other saying it was too tight. Probably no one can tell you the leg room is fine other than you yourself, even me. (smile)

Get out there and jump in the cab. Even take it for a test drive. It is free. And I usually tell the Salesmen that I am about a year away and then they don't high pressure me.
    Any comments you can share from your test drive? Did you notice any of the hesitation problems that were reported in the earlier models when they first went to the 3.3L engine with drive by wire? There was quite a discussion about the transmission delay and hesitation issues. Thanx
    I have driven 3 Highlanders in test drives, putting the peddle to the metal each time. And also driving on city streets.

No hesitation noted in any of the test drives.
    Did you feel that the engine had enough pep? How did you like the ride, quietness, etc? Thanks
    Loved the ride and quietness. I had test driven the Honda Pilot, as an option. But have since eliminated the Pilot after driving the Highlander.

While I like the Hondas (having an Honda Accord) the Hondas can never compare to the Toyotas for "quietness".

The engine had enough pep for me.

My neighbor has a 2003 Highlander and still loves it. She even has a 4 cylinder which "she" claims has plenty of pep for her hauling 4 gals and their equipment up and down the highway into the mountains.

But I would not consider a 4 cylinder in any case.

As for enough pep with the V-6, it all depends on how much pep you like. It has plenty for me but for someone who likes to be thrust back into their seat upon full acceleration, forget it.

I would highly suggest some test drives yourself since there are no two people who have the same acceleration needs, IMO.

The Hybrid does have slightly better acceleration but it costs considerably more. And is not worth it unless you drive more than 15K per year. Which I do not.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    The three leg room numbers are for the front/middle/3rd rows. I believe the Hybrid may have less leg room in the 2nd row due to the battery location.
    That makes sense, gasman. Maybe that's why I couldn't figure out the 3 numbers................Thanks
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get the hybrid wheels on a regular Limited? The tire sizes are the same.
    I was also wondering whether one could get Sport Wheels on a Limited. Curious how are Hybrid wheels different than Limited Wheels?
    The hybrid wheels are a sporty multi-spoke type wheel. I don't like the limited wheels. It is just too much smooth solid metal for my taste. I am also worried that it will be easy to see all kinds of marks and scratches on them because of the solid smooth surface. I called one dealer and the sales person told me it can't be done. I called another dealer and he said that it would have to go through the General Manager but that it was possible. He basically said if it meant making the sale, they would probably find a way to do it. Basically he did not committ but said it was possible and that he had seen that type of thing done in another dearlship in which he worked. I am going test driving this weekend so I'll let you know how I make out.
    I shall anxiously be awaiting the results of your test drive.
    I now own a 2007 Highlander Limited with leather package, heated seats and tow prep package. I love it. I think it is about as car like as an SUV can get. Maybe the RS330/350 would be yet quieter/smoother but I could not justify the other 8-10K more. Coming from a '99 Lexus ES300, I wasn't sure if I could make the adjustment but so far, so good.
    Congratulations! You have my prospective wheels. I suspect I will get mine in about March or so. If you have any second thoughts between now and then. Be sure and let it fly on this chat board. Thanks

Curious what color did you get? We have finally come down to the Metallic Silver.
    I got the gold. I originally wanted silver but the dealer didn't have any and cut me a good deal on the gold one. I wanted something that was low maintainence and I think the gold or the silver will fit the bill. My wife wanted black but I had a black car once and swore never again. They are just a nightmare to keep nice. The more I look at the gold, the more I like it. To me, the silver looks nice when it is very clean but as soon as it gets a little dirty, it looks blah, IMHO. I definitely liked the grey leather interior on the silver, however.
  • billranbillran Member Posts: 113
    Congratulations on your new car! I purchased that identical configuration in a new 2005 model 2 years ago and have loved it. It is indeed one of the smoothest riding SUVs around, and we test drove them all. We have over 30K miles now and the only problem I have had was related to a click sound in the steering which they fixed. It drives like a dream and we would purchase the same car again in a heartbeat. Hope you are as happy with yours as we have been with ours!
    Black is not a safe color IMHO. And we do go for safety in car colors. And Silver is right up there near the top.

You will happy to know that I will be washing, waxing etc. on a regular basis when my new wheels roll into the drive way. Love that Gray Leather interior as well.

We have a Gold Honda and you are right it is a nice color but we wanted something slightly different but a "safe" color.
    With about 100 miles on my HL, here are my impressions so far:
    1. Very comfortable and smooth. The only thing I would like which I'm sure will be in the next version would be a telescoping wheel. When I get a comfortable seating position, the wheel is a little too far away.

2. Can't believe that even on the Limited, the driver's window button is the only one that is lit. The other 3 even on the drivers door do not light. It's nice that the steering wheel audio controls light.

3. Would be nice if the homelink button lit up. However, I know that even on a 2004 Lexus ES330 they don't light. They were on the visor on my '99 ES300 so were easy to find in the dark but on the overhead console, it is very difficult to find them. Maybe I will get used to feeling for them after a while.

4. When starting the car with a cold engine, the engine sounds kind of "boomy" with a resonating type of sound while idling. Don't know if this is normal but I would have expected it to be like the previous generation V6 Camry. I will start another one next time I go to the dealer. Anyone else notice this? It's hard to explain but it's almost like the unrefined sound of a 4 cylinder engine. After warm up, it's much better but still not Camry quiet. Does anyone know if the exhaust system is different?

5. I am pleasantly surprised with the transmission so far. Have not experienced any weird shift problems so far.
    Thanks for the update on the first 100 miles. And it is encouraging that you are not experiencing transmission problems. Out of curiosity what are the "break-in" recommendations? 55mph for the first 500 miles or???

It does seem strange that the Highlander has engine noises that are not akin to the Camry.

I wonder if it is possible that the Highlander engines are made in Japan and possibly the Camry engines are made here?
    I am not even sure where the Camry engines are built. I do know however that everything on the 07 Highlander is from Japan.