Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    edited September 2010
    Still, it just isn't enough to change my mind. A fault of mine is that once you burn me, I'm not very forgiving. I tend to simply dismiss you from my world

So why are you looking for a Cadillac after your horrible experience with that brand with parts falling off the car ?? And it was not a problem with the dealer--rather the car itself. Beats me.. Different strokes for different blokes,I guess
    !! :confuse: :shades:
  • Options
    gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "So why are you looking for a Cadillac after your horrible experience with that brand with parts falling off the car ?? And it was not a problem with the dealer--rather the car itself. Beats me.. Different strokes for different blokes,I guess !!"

Del--

Are you married? If so I can't understand why you ask. If not, I'm sure Richard and many of the other members will "educate" you.

Gogiboy
  • Options
    See, that's what I mean by saying different strokes for different blokes. So ,yes, wifey has to be kept happy. Or else every single thing that goes wrong with her non preferred choice is your fault. Better to risk an unknown car or even a previously unreliable car than wifey's nagging !!! :P
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    One dumb thing Honda does is to sometimes offer two different interior color choices. If they offer grey or black, people will spend hours waffling back and forth only to decide on the color we didn't have in stock.

If they had offered only one color, it wouldn't have resulted in any loss of sales.

When the new 2002 CRV's came out, for some dumb reason, they decided to put beige interiors in the white CRV's. These don't sell at least in my neck of the woods. We complained along with others so in 2003, they went with black interiors. These sold great! We have on in our garage in fact.

So, then in 2005, they went back to beige interiors for some asine reason and sales on white CRV's came to a standstill.
  • Options
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

What are we missing here?
  • Options
    My personal preference is Gray interior,followed by Beige/Brown. I just really dislike black interiors and exteriors. Beige looks the classiest but stains show up easily. That`s why I like gray. But I have both and like both of them . :shades:
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Isell, I hate to say this, but I think you dropped the ball on that deal.
    They wanted a pristine vehicle and that is not what you presented to them.
    I think they sniffed that out, didn't buy that one or any other vehicle from you.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I'm sure mr Shiftright over on the classics forum could provide a pretty good assessment of that vehicle.
  • Options
    Richard, The number of vehicles sold in 2009 were far lower than in previous years, so finding just the one your wife wants will probably require some patience.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    >That's it exactly!!! You found it!

I can't see a difference in photos between the cashmere and caramel interiors.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    >Yes, it was the Solara

I think you should hang loose. Keep checking the internet sites, automart.com or autotrader.com and use unlimited distance from zip code for the search. Look at the 2009 SRXs and just watch for one in the exact colors you want. As I read it you have no exigent reason to hurry a purchase. If you don't find the car, you'll have time and the choice of other cars.

Myself, I'd probably spend-a-day and travel to Philly for a sandwich, whatever that specialty they have is called, and stop at the Faulkner Cadillac place to see the car. I'd call and verify its existence first, of course. I'd also ask them to check the interior and exterior color codes and the exact names.

You can stay overnight and see the Liberty Bell and the steps where Rocky was filmed. The worst is that the interior would definitely not suit the sensitive eye; best, you'd like it almost as much.

What's airfare from NC to Philly? Or a nice drive with the lovely bride?

• Options
    No, that TL was about as nice as it could be when it arrived. It needed very little to make it pristine and those things were done before they ever saw it.

The WORST thing a store can do is show a shopper a newly arrived undetailed car. They will see every flaw and even when it's been reconditioned, they won't buy it. I know that. This wasn't the case here.

The car had no tobacco odor at all.

Just an overally picky customer that will always find "something" that isn't to their liking.

"Harry" was actually embarassed and he even called me twice after they got home to apologize. I didn't say anything but he knew I would never seek out a car for him ever again.
  • Options
    Here is my perspective from someone who is known as a pretty picky owner.
    You can tell if a car was maintained well, even if there are flaws that you(dealer) consider to be not significant.
    A car that had 2 curbed rims repaired/replaced and needed paint work before being ready for retail sale, probably had some other clues that it was not well cared for.
  • Options
    jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    edited September 2010
    So easy to speculate, but I would think isell would know exactly what condition the car was in. He was actually involved and saw the car. The customer's wife simply wanted a different color interior. There would probably be more sales stories if folks didn't try to pick them apart.
  • Options
    sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    edited September 2010
    I'm not sure but perhaps you and Deltheking missed the point. It's not about a Cadillac; it's about the wife factor. She can have what she wants. I didn't seek out the Cadillac; she did. I'm not crazy about the idea, but will live with her choice. By the same token, I don't think that she wants me to dislike the purchase. This conflicting view is why no purchase has been made. It will all come together in time. We don't have to have a new car tomorrow.

As for the white Hondas with the light tan interior, I'm sure that they sold well in the South. With our extremely hot summers. people don't want black interiors. Perhaps Honda thought of this from their regional sales stand point.

To Imidazol: There IS a difference between the two colors. The Caramel is a little darker, though not much. Though I have seen the Liberty Bell and Rocky's steps, a trip northward is always a pleasure.

To Gogiboy: The art work colors shouldn't match the furniture, but the theme should----Fox hunt goes with Country English, and vineyards go well with Italian Provincial. Frames such as gold leaf, ebony wood, and chrome also have to be considered. As for family portraits, never place them in obvious guest surroundings. They should be enjoyed privately in dens, bedrooms, family rooms, game rooms, etc.

To Explorer: I see your point. Though the Honda had the rims repaired and the bad places painted, I wouldn't feel comfortable if I found out that those things had to be done. I'm sure that Isell had a beautiful job done on it, but I would still feel a little funny about it. Then again, if I never knew it, perhaps it wouldn't matter. Perhaps this goes on all of the time though I would hate to know it.

Richard
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    >We don't have to have a new car tomorrow.

And that's a great position to be in. You can sit, look, wait.

>it's about the wife factor.

Isn't that the truth. My wife made us trade in a perfectly good leSabre with 150,000 miles. She loved the bright red color Buick had put on the leSabre that year (I did too). My pick would have been the Park Avenue the store had in burgundy.

• Options
    I totally agree. It appears that they are trying to use a noun as an adjective. Cashmere as a color is not often seen or used. The raw material before the dye vat is a light grayish color---thus cashmere color seating. It may prove a bit confusing to many customers, but it sounds luxurious.

To all: In post 58634, the word "too" should have been "two". Glad that I caught it before you did. :P

Richard
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Nothing wrong with loving your wife more than you hate the Cadillacs... You'd buy her a Toyota if that's what she wants. It's how my wife ended up in a Camry. Wouldn't have been my choice but I'm not driving it (as the primary driver anyway).

That combo does look like it's going to be a trick to get but, as you said, you're not in a hurry.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    part of the reason there are not more sales stories are also that the product being sold in being misrepresented, although maybe not by intent, and thus is not sold.
    I see we are neighbors.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I think you are proving isell's point about picky buyers. Some are so picky they can spot a lemon without ever seeing it, much less driving it....and at the same time attempt to discredit a professional who has appraised and sold more cars than anyone else on this forum. Amazing.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    edited September 2010
    They did see it, rejected it and never went back.
    My sister brought her 2 year old new purchase over for us to take a look at.
    I drove it and it was a-ok. After opening the hood, and all the doors, I could tell it had been at least 2 accidents. Took less time to figure that out than drive it a couple of miles.
    I never said anything to her about it.
    Some people just don't want to rude, they would rather not say anything or finesse the answer.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I can understand your emotions about the dealership, but if it were me, I would not let a couple of crooks have that much control over my future car buying habits. Just think of all the driving pleasure you would have missed out on over the last few years if that Solara in question had been an Explorer and you had sworn off Fords !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    I guess never happened that way, did it? Bought another convertible though. ;)
  • Options
    How can I have an intelligent argument with such a wise man? :D I looked at the 4-Runner on line today. It's not bad, but I also noticed the Highlander. It looks even better. I'll do some research on it and get back with you. Wouldn't it be a real twist of fate? Come on here because of hatred for Toyota and then end up buying one? If by some unimaginable quirk I should buy one, you will be solely responsible for what happens. Our friendship is now on the line. :P

Richard
  • Options
    jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    Wow, talk about pressure...
  • Options
    Ha! The Highlander was way up on my list before I remembered you wouldn't buy a Toyota! I'd bet you'd like it. Too big for me anymore but a nice vehicle!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    Haven't you ever once had a rock chip? I have.

Have you never, ever accidently scraped an alloy wheel? I did that once and nobody is more careful than I am.

How can you say a car that has had these things "not well cared for"?

And, again, these minicule problems were taken care of BEFORE they ever saw the car.

So, no, they really didn't exist nor were the ever "significant" in the first place.

Some people should only buy new cars and then keep them in a glass bubble.
  • Options
    Thank you. That is exactly why a lot of "us" no longer post.
  • Options
    LOL...The Highlander would probably be a better fit for your part of the country, but doesn't your lovely wife like to go off roading once in a while? SMILE....I have given up on the emoticons !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Isell, You still look at things from the seller perspective.
    I am trying to convey what I think is the buyer's point of view.
    A nice glaze on the paint and inside shampoo doesn't cut the mustard for everyone.
  • Options
    A Highlander might be a good choice. Bigger than you your wife felt were too small and not as big as some she felt were too big.
    With incentives it might be better to look at new ones.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    my neighbor recently traded up from a previous generation pathfinder (which I really liked the looks of, and a size I like) to a new pathfinder. Definitely bigger all around. And if you like square, well this baby was designed with a T square and block plane.

Actually, in many ways, reminds me of an SRX stylistically.

Hey, another option that actually fits all of your requirements (best as I can tell).

The Highlander is a fairly large car now. Probably about what the new explorer will be.

Hey, if this drags on a few more months, you can end up being one of the first owners of a 2012 explorer!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    It's a CAR. A simple means of transportation and you can't see the color when you're driving it!

Isell, you are a guy, would you drive a pink car?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    He just bought a 2002 ti that was wrecked. It's going to be a project car for both of them to work on.

Are you sure it wasn't a tii? The tii is -next to the ultra-rare turbo- the most sought after '02. It has mechanical fuel injection along with some upgrades to the suspension and the braking system. They are just starting to appreciate in value. Tell your friend and his son to join the BMW 2002 FAQ; it's an invaluable resource. Speaking of restorations, I polished and waxed my '02 today- it was looking really scruffy. I'll post some before and after pictures tomorrow.
    And one more thing: buy that Cobra.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    roadburner....I got a chance to go to his house to see it yesterday I know just enough to be dangerous, so I'm not sure if it was a ti or a tii.

This thing's going to take a lot of work. The whole rear suspension is crushed. The interior appears to have been rained in. He bought it cheap ($1,800). My guess...knowing the cost of BMW parts, it's going to take quite a bit of time, and a starting price just for parts of about $10,000 (and I think I'm being conservative).

driver....saw a strange site yesterday. I'm traveling for work. Went to pick up the rental car last night. My travel dept booked me with a car rental place I'd never heard of before, called "Advantage". Got in late, but they only had two cars left for me to choose from. One was a new MB C300. The other was a new Camaro. Camaro was cheaper so I took that. Ummmmm....could GM make a cheaper interior? Geez....once I think they're getting their act together, I see something like the Camaro. Plus, it has the Caddy CTS V6. It feels like it's dragging a boat anchor. I thought this was supposed to be a turning point for GM?

Sorry....I'm a little cranky since I got to the hotel from the airport late last night and didn't sleep much.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    You totally have no idea what that TL looked like when those people came to see it.

I do. I was there. You weren't.

Let me say (again) that all of the MINOR defects had been taken care of.

You seem to think that there were problems with that car when there were none.

If you can look at a perfect, 24,000 mile, under warranty car and decide in your mind if the car has been well taken care of or not, you possess some kind of talent that I've never heard of.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Before I start, might bring in the wife factor re the new car. She could care less about the car or the color. I told her what my ceiling was [25k] and she said -- have fun, I'll be at Nordstrom's if you need to get in touch.

To review briefly, got a righteous buy price on the prius through trucar. Remember, timing is everything and with gas prices low and Toyota hurting, it was the perfect time to buy a hybrid.Salesman confirmed the 25k buy price with the mgr and I went up to test drive it and let them appraise my murano which I thought I owed 25k to get out of the lease. I knew the trade-in could cause problems but nada,edmunds, and kbb were between 23 and 27k so I felt like I wouldn't have too bring much to the table but you never know.

After the test drive and chit chat, I told the rep I didn't even want the number the appraiser had on my car. Put it in the file and I would call tomorrow [saturday] after I had a good nights sleep, a bowl of puffed rice [bananas and blueberries], a cup of coffee and my meds. [ no comments on my cereal of choice, thank you] I have learned never to close a deal at the dealership right after a test drive in a car you REALLY want. As it turned out, he couldn't resist throwing a number at me on my way out, $24300. I shook hands and thanked him for his time and said I'd call tommorrow. I knew the deal was within reach and was pretty excited about swapping rides. That frame of mind is a real blast and is also the worst position to deal from -- those guys are pros and you really want to level the playing field a bit by getting back to YOUR house.
    Called the next day and told him the 24300 was fair but since my car was perfect [no dents,dings,stains, with a full service record and still under warranty] I wanted 26k in trade to do the deal. The first thing he said was , "Gee -- we're only 1600 apart. Let me check with the mgr and get back to you".
    He calls back and wants me to drive my murano back to the dealership - take the prius for the afternoon while they shop the murano around to see if they get my price. I politely told him I was busy. He said he would get back to me. Does anyone think I made a mistake on not accepting that offer ? I didn't think so.

While I waited, I went back to the dealer website and noticed the "free" value your trade option. Nothing to lose since I was already in contact with them, so I punched in the numbers and got the "give us your email and phone # and we'll send you the appraisal" form. Got a generic reply that gave me a range of 18k-25k trade in for the prius. I called him back and said let's get this done -- you have 25k as the top of your buy price on my murano. This is your own website price. You can't find one thing wrong with my murano -- if you had you would have told me- because with a light detail it's as close to showroom as possible for a 2 year old low mileage suv. Just give me 25k and I'll be up there on Monday to do the deal. He called me back and said congratulations -- see you Monday at 1:00.
    My attention span is gone -- will post the last installment later but there was a problem looming.
  • Options
    I love this installment process. It reminds me of Macabee's posts.

• Options
    gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "Isell, you are a guy, would you drive a pink car?"

Snake--

Isell has shown some--albeit small--inclination to be only semi retired. So what if he gets a job selling Mary Kay Cosmetics? Isn't a pink Caddie a perk for their top salespeople? :shades:

Gogiboy
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I'm on my fifth Cadillac and I can't complain. I'm extremely happy with my 2007 Cadillac DTS Performance. The only thing I'd do differently is get one in a color other than black. It looks beautiful when it's clean - for about 10 minutes. Black is an extemely labor intensive color to keep clean and very unforgiving per scratches.
  • Options
    I guess it all depends on their major. If a student majors in something like Classical Greek Mythology, he'd better get used to repeating the words, "Welcome to Wal~Mart!"
  • Options
    I once told my co-workers at work that if I ever won the lottery I would show up in a pink Cadillac, in drag, smoking a cigar.

That's how they wold know I had won!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Holy smoke! I bought my last two cars at Faulkner Cadillac and from the same salesman. Faulkner Cadillac is actually outside Philadelphia. It's on Street Road West off US Rte 1. They have a brand new facility that was just built a few years ago. My wife bought her LaCrosse from Faulkner Buick-Pontiac-GMC which is just east of the Cadillac franchise. Tell 'em Lemko sent ya!

The "sandwich" in question is a "cheesesteak." Pat's and Geno's near 9th and Passyunk in South Philly are the popular places to get a cheesesteak, but Jim's on 4th and South Street is pretty good. There's a little known place in the Northeast called Steve's Prince of Steaks on St. Vincent and Bustleton.

You also should treat yourself to a Philly hoagie, (known as a sub or a hero elsewhwere). I know of several great places for an authentic Philly hoagie. My favorite is Greenman's on Robbin's in the Northeast.
  • Options
    Good thing my wife has similar taste in cars to myself. She loves Buicks and so do I. The way she talks about her LaCrosse, you'd think she was driving a Lexus or Mercedes.
  • Options
    My FIL sold Caddys at Center City Cadillac in Philly until the place went under.

Nothing like a good old "who makes the best cheesesteaks in Philly debate....
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    edited September 2010
    Nothing like a good old "who makes the best cheesesteaks in Philly debate....

Lemko mentioned some great places, but there is nothing wrong with Tony Lukes either. After you get a cheessteak, order a chicken cutlet with broccoli rabe and provolone!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

You also should treat yourself to a Philly hoagie, (known as a sub or a hero elsewhwere).

Or crossover the bridge to South Jersey and get a real hoagie from Carmen's deli in Bellmawr! :P (tongue out emotorcon in case it doesn't show!)

• Options
    We are spoiled silly when it comes to cheesesteaks and subs in these parts. Reasonably difficult to buy a bad pizza unless you're trying to do so.

One year i really do have to check out White House Subs in Atlantic city. You can see Atlantic city from my house, much like you can see Russia from Sarah Palin's house.... Actually you have to drive east a couple of miles to the bay bridge - look south from there (preferably when you're not the one driving) and AC is there clear as can be. I was surprised to see that you can see the AC skyline form the top of the Barnegat Lighthouse which is a good ten miles north of that bridge.
  • Options
    Funny you mention White House, that place came up in a conversation recently. It was about how we have all been to AC tons of times and never been there.

Yes we are certainly spoiled, I have about 10 pizza stores within a mile radius and they are all great.

• Options
    My oldest daughter is in AC a lot more than I ever am. (Unlike me she doesn't have "the old AC" to compare it to.

She's been to White House and considers it good but not legendary. one day I'll check for myself.

Hmm... I see Holly eats rates it five grease stains. I should check this out. (poke through the Holly Eats site - I rather like it.)
This discussion has been closed.