Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    edited December 2010
    It's a bit more contrast than it used to be, plus the background around the post is also a bit pale so it is a bit more harsh than before. So no it's not really your eyes.

Personally I don't like it as it appears more sterile and bland than before.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I just find it hard on my eyes. Maybe they can tweak it and tone it down a bit?
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I hope they made it easier to add pictures.
    Picture...thousand words, you choose.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since I knew Forums would be down, I headed out to see my friends in St. Louis. Took a good portion of the day Wednesday to go learn how to play craps with a friend - we did well! He won a few hundred, and I came out a little more than even after 4 hours.

However, the trip back wasn't as joyful. A young man on the expressway decided to make a very wide left turn at an intersection when he didn't have the right of way (green light on both sides, no green arrow for him). There was nowhere for me to go but straight into him, so that's what I did. Good news - none of us were hurt beyond sore muscles and a few bruises. The car performed exactly as it was designed to in a crash, and everything crumpled and fell to bits apart from the passengers.

So, I guess the good news is that I don't have to worry about a trade-in now. I did tell the insurance company (before they'd seen the vehicle) that I figured a little bondo, touch-up paint, and some Turtle Wax, and you'd hardly notice the damage. :shades:

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I think you need Zaino instead of Turtle Wax and you are going to need some stop leak for the radiator. Otherwise, looks like an easy repair.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    So, I guess the good news is that I don't have to worry about a trade-in now.

I tried to do a reply but it wouldn't let me, I had to start a new thread. I am sorry to hear about your accident, that is always an unpleasant experience. Great that there weren't any serious injuries. Did the airbag go off?

Now what's the plan...go back and look at that car you were looking at before? Guess the insurance company has to find you a vehicle so you can go to look around.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Nah, I'm waiting til after the New Year so I don't get hit with property taxes on the next vehicle for the whole of next year - they tax you here on whatever vehicle you owned as of January 1. I'll be driving my boyfriend's 1998 Chevy pickup til then - it's an extra vehicle.

I have rental coverage at $25/day for up to $600, but you can imagine what vehicle I'd get for that, and really, I don't need one. Just gonna sit & wait for the repair or total offer, then figure it out from there. Taking the process one step at a time.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    This is insane. I've tried three different ways to post a message. I give up.

Richard
    No Reply!

It won't let me reply just start a new thread.

I am so glad you weren't hurt but don't be surprised if the soreness increases over the next few days. This is a prime example of how a modern car sacrifices itself while protecting the people inside.

I guess you should have stayed at that craps table awhile longer than you did!

You be careful now!!
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I had a reply box, right until I tried to click on it.

Glad you are ok, kirstie. Will the next ride be rear wheel drive or more? I sorta know you want AWD, but assuming you were going to buy another 2 WD, would it continue to be rear drive? My guess is yes.

What was he driving? What part of his car did you hit, looks like it mighta been right front corner.

And how fast do you think you slowed to till you hit him? Judging by damage and assuming he has a similar sized car, my guess is about 20 to 25 mph.
    I tried to open the picture car.jpg, but no dice.
    Seems everyone else sees it but not me. Hmmm

OK got the pic now. Holy crapatelli.
    That will NOT buff out. I think it's totaled.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    This is insane. I've tried three different ways to post a message. I give up.

So much for a seamless transfer !!!

richard...Yeah, you're right about some posts getting lost. 'houdini' was talking to me about a pong game. That post is out in cyber land somewhere.

kirstie...That's a bummer about your ride. I hope you were driving a throw-away because it sounds like more damage than you should have to settle for. Glad everyone is ok though.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

Let's see if it lets me "reply" this time.

Another thing that is broken is it's ability to remember my username and password when I check in. That part has always been spotty but now, it's every time.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    "...Glad everyone is ok though..."

I agree. It looks like kristie's luck was out on the road and not at the craps table. That's the G that got smashed? You can't even tell. That brings a tear to my eye just thinking about a nice car like that getting smacked. :cry:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

You know, it's funny how life works.

A life can be changed instantly or even end if someone's timing was off by even a few seconds.

Once, I was on my way home from work. It was late, around 10:00. I was driving my old VW Bug and I had stopped for a light.

I was sitting with one foot on the brake pedal and the other had the clutch depressed. The gearshift was in 1st gear and I was ready to go.

But, I got a cramp in my left leg so I put the VW in neutral and took my foot off of the clutch pedal so I could rub it.

Then I stepped back on the clutch and waited for the light to change.

When it changed I revved up the engine and eased out the clutch.

I had accidently left it in neutral so it went nowhere. At that instant, a large truck ran the red light. He wouild have hit me in the driver's door and more than likely I would have been killed.

Funny, how life works. I think someone was watching over me.
    Richard, this post was nice and short and sweet. Read it in a fraction of a second.

Just try reply and if that doesn't work you have to start a new thread.

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    It lives. Again.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    edited December 2010
    Oh that will buff right out.

Anywho, glad you weren't hurt. Funny how life works, you play craps then you end up yelling it on the way home.

Let us know about the replacement car when you start looking.

Oh and since you're a host could you tell us why the reply box is now showing up to the right? Earlier today when I replied to isell it was under the post i was replying to.

Edited to add that maybe the position of the reply box was due to the size of your post as I tested a much smaller post and the reply box was under the post I was replying to

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

These are from an actual car sales manual made for dealers in the 70s;

*Should a woman approach you to purchase a car, ask her where her husband might be. If she agrees to purchase a car, make sure she has permission to make a car purchase decision , and make sure that her husband has also agreed to foot the bill.

*Offer the buyer a small price reduction, say $250 on the price of a $7000 car - then praise him for his hard bargaining skills. "I don't run up against many tough cookies like you Mr. Smith - and I have been in some hard fights! Please don't tell anyone how badly you beat me up on this!"

There's more, but you get the idea!

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Just checking to see if I can reply. Did take a ride to West County -- there is a mega store complex with MB-BMW-Lexus_Infiniti-Cadillac-Audi. Just strolled around -- the BMW and Lexus stores had buffet's with all kinds of hot food -- seems they have every saturday. Since I wasn't really shopping -- passed on the food in spite of the offers from the sales staff. If I lived close enough I might buy a car --- free lunch every weekend. ;)
    You hit the nail on the head when you said I'm a host - that's all I do here. Host. I don't get to touch the guts of the system, nor do I know why it behaves as it does. Right about now, I'm kind of glad I'm not in charge!

Slide over to the redesign discussion here:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f21ab4f/10

state what you're seeing and what and when things go wrong for you. It will be most helpful if you can state what browser/version you're using. If it is Explorer 6.x, that may be a problem and you'll need to upgrade your browser.

I'm on the latest version of Google Chrome and everything looks and works as it should for me.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    Yes, total for sure. Glad you are OK. But at least we will get a good sales story from you some time in the future. :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This is a test reply - please ignore.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    It lives. Again.

YEAH...go try spell check and you lose your text when it returns for viewing.

You guys with perfect speeling wouldn't know that, would ya.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

Don't know. Never used the spell check not that I have perfect spelling as Richard would attest.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Ahhh.... all caught up now. Having that little break allowed me to wade though 400 messages (300 of which were about dipsticks) without any more being added for a couple of days.

Now, about my colonoscopy... :D
    edited December 2010
    400 messages (300 of which were about dipsticks)
    Now, about my colonoscopy...

Too bad they can't just use a dipstick.

In a way it is easier than a prostate exam, you are out of it. It's just drinking all that liquid that's the hard part.

When I went for a prostate exam I told the doctor that now I know what it feels like to be a muppet.

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    It's just drinking all that liquid that's the hard part.

Yes, the test was easy. It was drinking that awful stuff (I didn't mind the aftermath) and being so hungry that was the hard part.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    To me it isn't the actual taste, since the prep I got was just taking an over-the-counter in a much higher than typically recommended dose. It was drinking that sheer volume of liquid.

All-in-all its not such an awful test.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    You know, it's funny how life works.

A life can be changed instantly or even end if someone's timing was off by even a few seconds.

Boy! Ain't that the truth?

About 6 weeks ago I left my garage during a rain storm and was driving along the road my house sits on. I was about 500' from the house when a big branch fell off a tree, broke the windshield, crushed the hood, and dented the trunk to the tune of $3,200. A few seconds either way and I would have either ran over the branch or it would have landed behind me.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    It lives. Again.

YEAH...go try spell check and you lose your text when it returns for viewing.

You guys with perfect speeling wouldn't know that, would ya.

jmonroe

Ok, so it walks with a little stagger, has a bolt in its neck, and an inferior brain.

But, it's alive.
    and being so hungry that was the hard part.

I forgot about the hunger. I was dreaming about all the different foods I would have when I could finally be able to eat dinner. Then when the time was up and I could eat the thought of food made me nautious (I am not going to use spell check after all the warnings of what happens when you do).

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Gee, all this colonoscopy talk s exciting. Better than the old cataracts...

All this work on the site and still no rolleyes emotorcon...

Looks like I'm into alternate plans for the early afternoon as there will be no Giants-Vikings game to watch. First they move it to Monday so the Giants can actually get there and then the roof collapsed on the Metrodome so now they have to figure out where to play it. The game itself will be a letdown.

kirstie - I'm going to have to lower my bid on buying your car! Glad you are OK.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    >I was dreaming about all the different foods I would have when I could finally be able to eat dinner. Then when the time was up and I could eat the thought of food made me [sick to my stomach].

I enjoyed what happened during the colonoscopy. I asked what drugs I was being given. One of them was fentanyl, the very popular drug on the street for abuse and it has caused deaths. The other must have been a twilight sleep or amnesia drug.

I remember watching the monitor as the process went on. I could remember that and the talk as they finished up very well at the time they were wheeling me back to the prep area. But the longer I was there the less I could remember. It was disappearing from my memory. But it was like I could remember the whole session and watched the monitor as they did it. I wonder if I was talking to them.

Trying for the fourth time to tell Kirstie that I'm glad that she wasn't seriously hurt in the accident.

Stay away from Spell Check and emotorcons---they will wipe you out.

Will try these short messages in hopes they get posted.

Richard
    Colonoscopy Prep---terrible, couldn't stand the taste, and SO much liquid to consume. It gave the word "laxative" an entirely new meaning.

Test---don't remember a thing. Requested some of those drugs to take home as a sleep aid. No go on that request.

Result---come back in ten years.

The after meal---big steak and banana split. I was so hungry.

Richard
    Thes is a tast of Spell Check. Plase ignoer.

Richard
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    "...a big branch fell off a tree, broke the winshield..."

Was there a scruffy looking guy named "Mayhem" hanging on to it?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

It still doesn't work, but it didn't trash my message. That is a step in the right direction.

Richard
    The blank message above indicates that my emotorcons test failed.

Richard
    Yes, the spell checker doesn't work, does it?

:blush: :sick:

The emotorcons don't work. I guess the emotorcon sales rep hasn't been back to Edmunds lately. She should want to get there and earn her commission for Christmas that's coming up soon.

I enjoyed what happened during the colonoscopy. I asked what drugs I was being given.

To each his own.

I had sent this before, you have had a colonoscopy and want to relive it in a hilarious essay, that you will be able to relate to, go to:
    Dave Barry's colonoscopy

Also, How to enjoy a colonoscopy:
    How to Enjoy a colonoscopy

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    kirstie- I'm glad you weren't seriously injured.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I called the indie shop that works on my Mazda and told them to put the OEM(read:crappy) rear shocks on the Mazdaspeed. It's not long for my garage- it will be disposed of by either a private party sale or CarMax. And -believe it or not- I'm considering something new- specifically a 2011 128i, optioned to my specs(M Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Harman-Kardon audio, keyless entry, and xenons). Manual leather seats and no hole in the roof. MSRP would be $36,050, but BMW has $1,500 bonus cash on the car and as a BMW CCA member I get another $500 rebate. Which means that I can get the sled for @$33,500 or less.
    Maybe.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

believe it or not- I'm considering something new- specifically a 2011 128i, optioned to my specs

I am sure you have thought this out so I won't say too much (cheers from the gallery) but you will probably need RF snow tires...put that in the budget. The back seat is pretty small, but I am sure that doesn't matter, as you would have noticed that.

You might know by now that I kind of like BMWs, all models but like the 1 and 3 Series the most.

Good luck, like to hear what happens to the trusty old Maxda and about your car buying adventure. The discounts sound pretty impressive.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    If you ever decide to sell it in 6-7 years (if you did decide to sell it) I'd buy it from you in 10 seconds.

That is exactly how I would order the 128.

Frankly, for you, it seems to make a ton more sense than trying to find something used the way you want it. Not to mention you'll get the 4 years/50k of maintenance on it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    So who needs those wimpy emotorcons anyway?
This discussion has been closed.