Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    Do people actually "consider" cars via superbowl ads, or is that just marketing shtick?

Yesterday when the ads ran, someone back in the home office would watch the traffic and measure the brand spikes and tweeted about the numbers.

So, the ads generated interest, maybe in cars people hadn't thought about before, and they hit the net to research them. Who knows if they'll buy a Genesis, but more people got their interest whetted.

Looks like AutoTrader got similar results by the way.

I think you can go to Twitter and enter @audi or whatever to get to those tweets. Oh, entering https://twitter.com/Audi should work.

Just don't ask me if marketing works. :D
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Let's say 35K on the road. For a Sorento. The value equation is eroding.
    VW owns Wolfsburg (which isn't where Audis are built, of course). Kind of an apples to oranges comparison there when Audi is the key.

Here's a story about the tweet
    So it is just raw numbers of a word used in a tweet? Hard to call that "consider", but then again, all of us who have studied at least a modest amount of statistics should remember the three types of lies :shades:

If I sent out a tweet mocking something, it sounds like that would be considered "interest" or "consider"ing too. Ad creatives trying to defend their work, more like.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Maybe if you opt for every single option in the book. It does offer 3 rows, a DI V6, panoramic moonroof, etc. So it's what I'd call a "complete" family car, nothing is missing unless you need a lux badge.

We looked at a loaded Pathfinder that was $45,620.

If Kia can do that same for roughly $10 grand less, there's still value there.
    I dunno...I "built my own" and checked every box. 42k+, and that's not on the road (WA tax 9%+, paperwork, etc). It might cheaper than some competition, but only marginally so.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    I didn't watch the game, so I just watched them here on Edmunds. The Benz Willem Defoe ad is by far my favorite, followed by the "where do babies come from." Interestingly enough, I remember that the Benz ad was for a Benz, but I have no idea what the babies ad was for. It was an SUV, that's about all I can tell ya.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited February 2013
    OK, let's see, SX is the bling bling chrome wannabe gangsta package so cross that off your list right off the bat.

EX V6 AWD, plus Premium and Limited packages, so you have Pano, heated leather, Navi, backup cam, and I'm at $35,850 with freight.

You'll probably deal down to around $32k if you have any negotiating skills at all. Edit: $31,891 per TrueCar, and that's just an average deal.

MD tax is 6%, so I'm out of there still nicely loaded for under $34k. Still room to buy 2 iPads so each kid has one, and I'm still under $35k with rear seat entertainment.

In a Pathfinder that number would start with a 4.

Ody Touring Elite is $45 grand.

I think you're going through the same sticker shock that I had a year ago, when I priced loaded Explorers and Durangos at $49k, and an Equinox compact near $40k.
    You didn't see the baby parachute in to the Kia Sorento's gigantic moonroof?

Man, and I thought that was cool product placement for the panoramic option.
    Well, we're talking top of the line vs top of the line, and no substituting a hand held device for an option on another. Nothing gets crossed off. I do imagine there is some easy negotiating on the high models, if they exist much at all (I don't know if I have ever seen one on the road). Point is, the difference isn't as huge as some might imply.

I am lucky I won't really have that sticker shock, as I don't intend to do any mommymobile shopping anytime soon :shades: I can get a hell of a lot of car for ~40K.
    edited February 2013
    So it is just raw numbers of a word used in a tweet?

Oh, no, no - the tweets were just a way to rapidly post an analysis of how people reacted to the commercial. Audi would run an ad during the Super Bowl. People would Bing/Google Audi.

Our guys would watch the page hits back in LA and graph where people were clicking on the Edmunds site (we're usually in the top 5 or 10 hits when you search for a car). Audi hits spiked. Ditto a lot of others after their car ads ran.

Next time maybe we can get them to cross-post "live" in the forums too. Or maybe next time I'll watch the game and be on Twitter too. :blush:
    So it isn't really specific content based then, just someone mentioning a term and searching for it.

Maybe the somewhat hard to believe Genesis data is just people checking on the somewhat tenuous claims of the commercial.
    It's hard to get apples to apples, do they have chrome wheels and a moonroof that size?

A small moonroof might be $800, but a pano is usually worth $2 grand if it's stand-alone.

They probably put one SX on the show room floor, but I bet it represents less than 5% of sales.

difference isn't as huge as some might imply

That's true, prices have inched upward but for that you're getting a bigger moonroof, a bigger Nav screen, a longer warranty, and basically equivalent everything else (competitors become more and more alike). Heck, most non-lux competitors don't have DI yet, even Pilot and Highlander.

So you're still getting more for less.
    And what are chromes or the pano really worth? A lot of it is subjective. I'd compare top trim vs top trim, and ignore small differences.

Better warranty, but most don't keep it that long anyway.

More for less, sometimes a dangerous game to play. Make sure it is more of something nice, and not just quantity.
    I still don't think $34k is a lot of money to spend, it's about average nowadays. The Sorento I spec'd out seems, to this family guy at least, to be far better than average.
    Then buy one ;)
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    That's it??

A little tongue in cheek comment.
    But still, Audi? They don't really have a leg to stand on.
    edited February 2013
    So it isn't really specific content based then

Edmunds analyzed Internet traffic during the Super Bowl to gauge which ads resulted in large traffic spikes during the broadcast. The consideration lifts are measured against the average of the previous four Sundays on Edmunds.com. The analysis quantifies how well the Super Bowl ads resonated with viewers.

The only way you could get more granular is to break it out by different trim lines or zip codes or something like that.

You know the marketing people back in Stuttgart are all over stuff like this to justify the spending outlay.

2014 Mercedes CLA-Class Scores Big in Super Bowl Auto Ad Wars

It's kind of like how some water companies report on how many flushes occurred during commercials or half time compared to the norm for that day and time. :D
    I find the term "consideration" to be misleading and kind of self-aggrandizing, but I realize that's what marketing departments are all about. Simply googling something isn't "considering" it. Today I looked up a Kia Sorento - not something I would ever "consider" buying, though. If I see a new Genesis in traffic and turn my head to look at it, I am not necessarily "considering" it.

As you say, to justify the spending, and no doubt the salaries and swag that come along with.

Introducing a new model (CLA) might not be apples to apples re: touting an existing model, either.
    edited February 2013
    People aren't just googling vehicles. They are actually making the effort to go to Edmunds or AutoTrader and researching the vehicle they saw in the ad. That means reading the reviews and pricing them. And lots more were doing that after the commercial than had the previous month of Sundays.
    edited February 2013
    IMO, simply checking a price on edmunds or autotrader the same as a google, just not as efficient. Not much real consideration going on, just marketing/advertising people justifying their budgets. When the hot model Genesis takes off in sales, I might re-"consider" :shades:
    edited February 2013
    That wasn't the proposition.

If you are selling something you have to keep your name in front of potential buyers. Sometimes that takes months or years.

As I said before, who knows if the marketing works, but the ads are driving traffic. Which must be why the NFL and CBS can sell them for such astronomical prices.
    Oh, so what is the proposition then? Years? By then, the advertised car will have changed or might not even exist at all. Still don't buy the "consideration" term. "Curiosity" might be more accurate - but it sounds less severe and would gain less money from the accountants.

Regarding the pricing, there's a lot of ego and prestige in having a product aired during that game, too. It might trump logical decisions.
    edited February 2013
    Companies sell ads based on "consideration". It's a valuable commodity and measurable.
    edited February 2013
    Yes, it can bring in money to keep paychecks flowing :shades:

Just a semantic thing, I guess. I see "consideration" as "considering" something. If I look up the price or specs of something I see on TV, I am not necessarily considering a purchase. Just fancy euphemistic term.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    But still, Audi? They don't really have a leg to stand on.

It was a little corporate dig. It wasn't like they tweeted out: Hey MB - your electronics sucks HA HA #lightsout.
    Then why bother looking it up? That's nirvana for someone selling ads; first hurdle is grabbing your eyeballs.

I suppose if I was a "car guy", even one with modest means, I'd go research Ferraris instead of checking out fueleconomy.gov. ;)
    Like I said, curiosity. I look at a lot of things, not just cars, that I don't really want to buy. If something is new or different, it is interesting.
    Yep, ads work.

Sure are a lot of ones that don't interest me that I have to sift through though.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited February 2013
    Chrysler is to blame for the failed lights at the Superdome since MB has naming rights to the dome and they are still infected from the prior merger :P

Speaking of which, when a distant friend bought a brand new Charger a few years back one of the exterior light bulbs was out on a brand new car (less than a month old).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    I work with marketing types and have done so for a long time. I can tell you that I would not be surprised if they arranged for those page hits and clicks well in advance in order to drive the results they are seeking in order to convince TPTB that their ads were wildly successful. Not surprised at all, and especially not if Hyundai were to do it. They are a pretty fast and loose kind of outfit from what we've seen recently.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Sites check and filter for proxies and other IP shenanigans.

The game scored a 48.1 rating and 71 share; that's a lot of people (161M) sitting on their couch with a smartphone or iPad or laptop handy to drive page hits.

There's more number crunching coming from our data people so it'll be interesting so see what else they come up with.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    What a contrast with some "real" Americans, farmers, in the commercial vs phonies and fakes in the Star Wars Bar scene in the Bud Commercial. The Dodge/Farmers Ad narrated by an old audio from the revered American patriot, Paul Harvey.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    Real Americans?

How many people are making a living as farmers? The typical American hasn't been a farmer since Paul Harvey was a boy.

Nostalgia might sell, but they sure weren't representing "real" Americans.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It would be on my short list for a van replacement. Just a tad small, though.

I know you like CPO but keep in mind the cheapest 2010 or newer GL is still $45 grand. Family cars are beat up hard, too, kids spilling junk in the back, so it wouldn't hardly be immaculate.

I still think 34k is a reasonable price.

Keep in mind HyunKia are no longer bottom feeders. They used to be, but they have added content consistently and now make cars people are willing to pay more for in some cases. Ex: Elantra sells for much more than a Corolla.

Sorento isn't more than a Pilot or Highlander. Yet.
    I bet the vast majority of farmers out in the field are immigrant workers from Mexico, many illegal.

Still, that was a very effective ad.

May have been more honest if they had said Farm owner, but still, great commercial.
    I didn't see the ad, but when I think of farmers, I think of ADM and Cargill. Even the Marlboro looking guys are probably under contract to big ag.
    It was good, and the didn't show the Ram until the very end. It was subtle and long enough (2 minutes!) to get everyone guessing, paying attention. I knew it was for a pickup but didn't guess the brand.
    Heh, I don't want to dab my toe in the curiosity water again, but maybe we'll have some info about the "take rake" that the ad generated for Ram. Two minutes is a lifetime for a Super Bowl ad.
    If I had a pack of rats to haul around, I'd just get a CPO minivan. No need for a soft roader, the climate here is usually mild, and I won't be off-roading in it nor broadcasting a false tough image (the real image is a vehicle that runs on an estrogen-gasoline mixture, of course). Vans are honest.

You don't need to tell me what to keep in mind, I have said many times I would consider the small Koreans if I was shopping in that segment. A nice Elantra should be more than a Corolla, it is a more modern car. That being said, I will still stand by my thought that the Equus is the most hilarious stretch on the market.

I don't see a Sorento as a Highlander/Pilot equal, either. Both of the latter appear larger and sturdier, to me. But like I said, I am not seeking such a dual-fuel vehicle :shades:
    I'll admit I liked the Paul Harvey bit, as it brought back childhood memories of listening to the radio, but are farmers any more "real" than you or I? Some do work very hard, but I am not exactly a layabout either, and I didn't inherit my vocation - I had to work for it and pay for it. Maybe I feel this way as I just filed my taxes, and saw what I paid :shades:
    So if I see a Hyundai ad with some odd claims (like the hot rod Genesis spot), I am considering? I still don't buy it. I don't believe proxies can be filtered out either - always some kind of oddity every time there is an online poll or ballot.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    The "rats" can be pretty hard on a vehicle. I'd ensure that CPO minivan was the plainest spec van available featuring heavy vinyl seats and thick rubber floor mats. One should be able to hose it out with no ill effects.
    Maybe an ex-rental would be the best for that duty. Probably plainer spec, cheap price, probably not abused as much as a normal rental. But, I doubt I will have to do that shopping, no plans for rats on my horizon. It's nice having nice things :shades:
    edited February 2013
    Did you "research" the hot rod?

On second thought, forget it, we beat this horse to smithereens yesterday. ;)

This is for Juice: :shades:

"The Ram Truck commercial, dubbed "Farmer," was inspired by the "So God Made a Farmer" tribute delivered by the late radio broadcaster Paul Harvey. As of Tuesday morning, it had attracted almost 4 million views on YouTube."

Jeep and Ram Trucks 2013 Super Bowl Ads Have Mixed Performance
    Well, I researched the claims. But it wasn't based on any "consideration" to pursue the Gen further :shades:

I prefer the Ram ad over the Jeep ad. Sometimes mixing consumerism and patriotism straddles a very fine line.
    Finally drove an Elantra GT today, and then a Limited sedan to compare it to. Will share details in The CCB thread.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I didn't see the ad, but when I think of farmers, I think of ADM and Cargill. Even the Marlboro looking guys are probably under contract to big ag.

I did see the commercial, and I also thought of ADM and Cargill.

• xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    I'll admit I liked the Paul Harvey bit, as it brought back childhood memories of listening to the radio, but are farmers any more "real" than you or I? Some do work very hard, but I am not exactly a layabout either, and I didn't inherit my vocation

Suggest reread of original post which said: "What a contrast with some "real" Americans, farmers, in the commercial vs phonies and fakes in the Star Wars Bar scene in the Bud Commercial."