Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Is that the original paint on that beauty?

I doubt it; I just selected the picture because I liked the color and it was the correct year and model.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Not cost effective to add A/C to yours?

It would be a royal pain; all of the systems were dealer installed aftermarket units that are no longer available. The existing systems can be upgraded with a Sankyo rotary compressor and the result is a system that actually keeps the passenger compartment cool...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

My friend who has the 2012 Maserati ($130000) is driving his winter car, 2012 Fiat 500 ($18000), and he said he loves the Fiat.

I really wish I could make a Fiat 500 Sport lease work with my mileage reimbursement; it would be fun to drive as my work car for 2-3 years and then be able to turn it back in.

You should have just aked that salesperson to sign off your form so you wouldn't have had to waste his and your time test driving a car you would never consider.

That's the thing; the sales guy asked me right up front if all I wanted was the gift card, and I said yes. He STILL went through the test drive...

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I think the 2012 should be called more than a refresh...maybe makeover, 2013 is a refresh.

The 2012 wasn't a refresh or a makeover - it was all new. It looked very similar to the 2008 but it had all new sheet metal, shorter wheelbase, larger interior.

But this all new car took a beating in the press for it's poor finishes and materials and sloppy handling.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    If I had a little more (OK, any) free cash flow, I was thinking about getting a car on a super cheap teaser lease, since I can certainly live with the low miles allotment. Something like a Mini or a 500 would be fun to have, though probably a waste of money for the amount I would use it.

Though I could justify it by saving on gas running around town (instead of using the RDX) and keeping miles off of the "good" car...

Hmm, I think I need to keep track of the end of year sign and drive screamer ads. Golf, Mini, 500, maybe an Imprezza.

This could be getting good!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Everyone who has been here for awhile knows that driver will go to extreme lengths to avoid ever saying that he was wrong about something. All the double talk he is using with you is one of his favorite ploys. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    As far as I remember, we didn't sell one car as a result of that event.

I always hated it when the owner and general manager would come up with a "direct mail" campaign offering sets of crystal wine glasses or candy dishes or those little metal keys where if the customer's key opened a lock around a new car in the showroom they would get a free 3 year lease but they had to come in and test-drive a new model. We never had anyone won a lease or new car. But if we were giving away anything, all the old retired people would drive up to the front of the showroom, leave their spouse in the car with the engine running, run into the showroom to get their gift, and then run out as soon as the salesman looked the other way after giving them their free "whatever it was we were giving away" gift.

I DOWNRIGHT HATED THOSE WEEKENDS SND WANTED TO SHOOT THE OWNER OR WHOEVER CAME UP WITH THE STUPID IDEA OR GIMMICK! And we never sold a car or SUV due directly to the campaign. In fact, I believe we had more customer traffic but actually sold less vehicles because we never had enough sales people to handle the droves of folks coming in for their free gifts. I would often have more sales people calling in sick or with other excuses why they couldn't come in to work that Saturday.

What a waste of money and time!

2021 Genesis G90

not a car dealer, but got a VIP come-on from Raymour and Flannagan (furniture store). Stop in, get a coupon and 2 free wine glasses. so we did. Looked at chairs while we were there, since we do need some, but did not buy. But, it got us in when we would not otherwise have stopped before the holidays, so it may work out for them. And the glasses were what, $5 to them?

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    edited December 2012
    Everyone who has been here for awhile knows that driver will go to extreme lengths to avoid ever saying that he was wrong about something. All the double talk he is using with you is one of his favorite ploys

I am a little tired of those kind of comments. I always back up what I say with a quote or an article. (if it was said in jest or for fun, then I apologize)

This is one review I will quote from right here;
    While the Civic has been fully refreshed for 2012, not much about the lineup itself has changed. The Civic still comes in standard Coupe and Sedan models,

Note, the word "Refreshed" was used to describe a 2012 Civic.
    Full article - 2012 Civic

That was only one example of many reviews that used the word "refresh" to explain the changes to the Civic in that year.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

And every article I've pulled up has said All New - so who wins?

I say we go by Honda's actual press release:

http://world.honda.com/news/2011/4110110All-New-Civic/

providing the first official glimpse at the styling direction of the all-new, ninth-generation 2012 model set to go on sale this spring,
    edited December 2012
    And every article I've pulled up has said All New - so who wins?

I think, technically it was a changed model - but it was compromised because of the economy - so it was a very poor changeover - I would say, not a full one. I actually think the Honda press release is the most unreliable source, they want people to believe the car was completely revamped.

I think this article is closer to the truth and note the headline;

2012 Honda Civic to Get Early Refresh After Poor Reception

It hasn’t been a particularly good year for Honda, especially where it concerns its bread and butter Civic. Introduced just prior to the March 11 Tsunami and earthquake that hit Japan, supply shortages crippled production, leaving dealers starved of their best selling model in many cases.

To make matters worse, the 2012 model, in the process of redesign when the global economy tanked in 2008, received a number of cost cutting measures, such as reducing feature content and using cheaper materials, particularly inside the car, including the dash and console.
    Auto Guide 2012 Honda Civic

I would be happy with a draw, but, if it means alot to you I think you can claim a victory.

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    To make matters worse, the 2012 model, in the process of redesign when the global economy tanked in 2008, received a number of cost cutting measures, such as reducing feature content and using cheaper materials, particularly inside the car, including the dash and console.

Was the 2012 Honda Civic the only vehicle affected by the global economy tanking in 2008? Seems to be, as I have not heard any reports linking other poor "refreshenings" to the economy. :surprise:

As I noted before, I believe the competition from other car manufacturers led Honda to cut back a bit on their quality materials, so their Civic would be more price competitive with the opposition.

The Civic has a nice o.k looking dash and console. You can tell it's not exactly high quality, but it doesnt jump out at you screaming "I'm homely." The handling, is precise and smooth. I hadn't driven a Civic before, so I can't compare to earlier models. But, ride, engine refinement, transmission shifting is smooth, and overall quality was better than Focus, Sentra and Corolla.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Was the 2012 Honda Civic the only vehicle affected by the global economy tanking in 2008? Seems to be, as I have not heard any reports linking other poor "refreshenings" to the economy.

Just an opinion, I don't think the 2012 model was a bad car, it just disappointed people that Honda was bringing out a much anticipated new model, but, made a business decision to keep the price as low as possible.

They probably made the right decision, because they do sell a lot of cars and people respect and love them. The public thought they were going to get a new car with upgraded materials, but, that didn't happen.

There are definite pros and cons....these are the ones US News had:

Pros

Improved fuel economy ratings
    New i-MID technology
    Standard Vehicle Stability Assist
    Cons
    Boring exterior styling
    Lackluster interior
    High base price
    Their review, which seems to be very realistic and fair, calls the 2012 model a redesign, but, goes on to say it isn't much of a redesign, they wanted people to recognize and know it was still a Civic.
    U.S. News 2012 Civic Review

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    jipster....you bought the Civic for the exact attributes everyone else buys a Civic for. It's durable, comfortable, economical, and will last years and years with no muss, nor fuss when it comes to repairs and/or maintenance.

I like it.

I keep seeing those Fiat 500s running around. Often wondered what they'd be like over the long haul, given Fiat's less than sterling reputation the first time they were selling cars in the U.S.?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Americans have short memories.

Fiat brought pure junk to the U.S. years ago and left with their tails between their legs.

But, now they are back and people are standing in line to snap them up.

Long haul is what matters. It'll be interesting to see how they hold up this time around!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited December 2012
    >now they are back and people are standing in line to snap them up.

The 500 has become a stand-in for the Cooper Mini. I see several around here all being customized in similar ways the owners of Minis do.

I recall long ago watching a guy who bought a Fiat for gas mileage in the early 70s have it towed home several times and it sitting in front of their house for long periods of time.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The town I grew up in had an indy shop that ony worked on Fiats. he kept it open until sometime in the mid 80's when all of the Fiats were dead.

It was called Pat's Fiat and he was usually booked several weeks out. Most of the other places in town wouldn't work on them so he was always swamped.

I knew another shop that only worked on Italian or French cars. He charged top dollar for his labor and worked on cars that nobody else would.

I remember he called Lancia's "Lawn Chairs" because they usually sat around not running.
    I bought the book and finished it in two shifts. Excellent book and it kept my attention.
    I remember he called Lancia's "Lawn Chairs" because they usually sat around not running.

After I sold my 1974 Triumph TR-6, I foolishly bought a red Lancia Beta coupe. It was, by far, the very worst car I ever bought. It spent most of its time as my car in the shop. It was on warranty, but I rarely got to drive it. It was the first and last time I ever purchased an Italian car.

The Fiat 500, base car, is $20,000. I know they have some outrageous rebates on them this month, but it is no replacement for a Mini Cooper. IMHO, I would rather buy a Nissan, a Toyota or a Huyandi/Kia where you get so much more for your money. By the time you build a decent Fiat 500, MSRP is $25,000. And what are you getting for $25,000? No comparison to other equivalently priced vehicles on the market.

2021 Genesis G90

The Fiat 500, base car, is $20,000...By the time you build a decent Fiat 500, MSRP is $25,000.

The base 500 is $16,200 for Pop. I ticked every option and it's $21,400. The 500T is $19,500 and it tops out at $23,880. Maybe an Abarth would hit close to $25K (but it starts at $22K).

The base Cooper starts at $20,400 and it takes too long to configure one. I'd have to say the 500 is a better value.
    I bought the book and finished it in two shifts. Excellent book and it kept my attention.

That's good to hear. It was a good fast read, and he is catching on. His 3rd book gets great reviews....4 1/2 stars out of 5 and is #22000 in Amazon.com rankings, which is very good. My wife read it, it is on my list, but I have more to get through first.
    Trust Your Eyes Linwood Barclay link

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited December 2012
    While checking my e-mail today I found 2 messages from a dealer in Texas who said they wanted to buy my car that I had listed on Craigslist. Since I'm not selling a car I was puzzled until I remembered my son's friend, the scrapper, used my computer to post one of his hoopties.

What still puzzles me is why a Texas dealer would spam someone thousands of miles away. Could there be dealer's so desperate that they would e-mail all of the thousands of CL posters all across the country? Hardly seems worth it. :confuse:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    The exact reasons I bought mine! And it has not been a disappointment at all except the homely looking wheel covers on my LX which I swapped out for a set of Ebay specials...2005 Civic SI rims. Wife thought I was nuts but it made the car more special to me and it doesn't look like every other Civic down here. Sure I could've gotten regular EX rims but chose not to. The only real regret I have is not waiting a few years and getting the LX-S version...now that one fit me to a tee!

But overall, I'm very happy with the car...still and have just hit 35.5k on it. Think it'll be around for quite some time...and being garage kept, the thing looks brand new and not 6.5 years old!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

P.S. Happy Hanukkah! :)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

As I said, I'd lease a 500 if the numbers worked, but the only one I'd own would be the Abarth. You may remember that we considered a Cooper S Countryman back in July, but we were put off by the New Car Sales Manager as well as the fact that the dealer has an @10 day wait for service appointments.
    The Fiat store is in the same dealer group as our BMW dealer, so I think I'd probably get better service AND I know the owners of the group in case I had problems.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    RB...if you test drive a 500, I'd love to hear your impressions.

BTW....may have another sales story coming up with the $1K-$2+K Accord (waiting to see if money actually materializes).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Thanks for the tip! 'll buy it.

Just finished the latest (?) Joseph Wambauch book, Harbor Nocturn.

It is based in the town I grew up in and as I flipped the pages I had visuals of exactly where the streets were that he was talking about. It was almost eerie.

Good read!
    I found 2 messages from a dealer in Texas who said they wanted to buy my car that I had listed on Craigslist.

My guess is they just send out an email after a week or two to see if they can work on you. I doubt if they actually look to see where the seller lives.

They just send out a few thousand emails a week and hope a few are real leads.

I haven't read a Wambauch for long time. I have always liked him, he writes fiction but it sounds realistic.

Being in the book business, I always wonder how people can write a book. How do you get the idea, a plot, the characters, and how do you make it interesting?

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Being in the book business, I always wonder how people can write a book. How do you get the idea, a plot, the characters, and how do you make it interesting?

Imagination. My step-daughter has been kicking around an idea for a book series for a couple of years. She's got a book full of notes .. character development and relationships (she used ancestry.com to help structure things), plot notes and ideas.

Now she just has to write the darned thing, and my wife and I could retire.

:D

I didn't know Joseph Wambaugh was still alive!! I read the Choir Boys way back when.

I flit back and forth amongst David Baldacci, Chuck Hogan and Mike Lawson for thrillers. I was once a huge Tom Clancy fan but his last couple of efforts have been pretty poor IMHO. Trying to continue the series with Jack Ryan Jr. as the center of the story just doesn't work. The Bear and The Dragon was his last good book IMHO.

I have a list on my iPhone of about 30 non-fiction books to read as well. I try to alternate between fiction and non-fiction.
    I know this is a strange question, coming from me, who is knowledgeable about almost everything.

How does a USB key work, and how do you record the music that goes on it. My salesman says the 535 has a port (is that the right word) in the glove compartment where you download. What do I download from? How do I start or stop when I hear a song? Can I download songs from a website? Do I just keep adding songs?

Then I am supposed to listen by plugging into a port in the console.

How much does a USB Key cost that will record a few hundred songs? Can you delete a song if you don't like it afgter awhile?

Maybe I should see if they have a course at the seniors centre.

A family member asked my wife to find out what I would like for a Hanukkah/Christmas gift.

Now she just has to write the darned thing, and my wife and I could retire.

I was a sales rep for a major publishing company for many years. If I was at a party, or met someone new, I was asked so many times...."How can I get my life story published? I am working on it in my spare time."

Then as I talk to the person I am thinking, "Who in the world could possibly be interested in reading your boring life history?

After awhile, when I was introduced to new people at a party, I just said I was a street sweeper.

edited December 2012
    First - pull out that book in the glove box and read it.

Second - by USB key, I presume you mean a USB Flash Drive like so:

They're pretty cheap. Depending on size $10-$30.
    Tom Clancy fan but his last couple of efforts have been pretty poor IMHO.

Authors like Tom Clancy just put their name on the book and the co-author writes the story. Not the same, they really lose something.

If you like thrillers, one of the best books I have ever read is Harlan Coben - Tell No One.

A guy sees his wife kidnapped and killed. Then he starts getting emails from her....talking about things only she would know about.

Very clever trick ending!

First - pull out that book in the glove box and read it.

I hav e wanted to avoid that - I hate instructions. But, I will do it.
    Yes, a Flash Drive sounds right.

Authors like Tom Clancy just put their name on the book and the co-author writes the story. Not the same, they really lose something.

AFAIK, the books with only Clancy's name on them were written by him. The last one he wrote under his name was The Teeth of the Tiger in which in introduced Jack Ryan Jr as the main character. It was poorly written and so improbable (even for a work of fiction). Since then he has used a co-author on his last 5 books. That seems to have improved them although now his books are on 2 arcs - Jack Ryan Jr/The Campus and Max Moore but they cross at the end of the latest Max Moore. The newest book due out tomorrow has Jack Ryan Sr. back as a main character.

I've never read any of his other series' of books. Those are all written by others IIRC with just his name there for marketing purposes.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Driver, there are tons of ways to do this but I'll try and keep it simple.

First we need to know a few things about your Bimmer. Does it have a built in hard drive that you can rip (record) CDs to? If so there is no need for the USB flash drive. You should be able to load up a CD and press a button to have the car save the CD. My Buick is able to do this, so I'm thinking your BMW probably can as well.

If it doesn't have that capability but does have the USB input (glove box, console, near the radio control????) you can rip the CDs to your hard drive on your computer and then copy those to the USB drive to play in your car.

Windows Media Player can rip the music off any CD in MP3 format. Itunes (free) can do so as well. A quick Google could explain how to do this better than I but it really is only a few mouse clicks.

As for using the USB in the car, I leave a 16GB drive full of music in my Buick all the time. To use it, I just select the "USB" option from the touchscreen and it begins to play where it left off. I can shuffle or select an artist, song etc from the menu.

I hope this helps a little.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Driver, a lot of flash drives come from the factory with "so called" security features. They're nothing but an advertising gimmick. Plug it into your computer and FORMAT the flash drive before you put it in your car.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

I hope this helps a little.

I think it will help alot. I am going to check the manual right now to see what I can find out. If, I need more help I can get more info from our IT guy at work....who is off today though.

Plug it into your computer and FORMAT the flash drive before you put it in your car.

Thanks Mako....I'll keep that in mind. I can use the computer for basic stuff, but, downloading pictures and stuff doesn't come easy. Kind of like Richard, which reminds me, whatever happened to Richard?

• Are you just interested in just Abarth thoughts? I've rented three of the 500s, but they've all been Pop models with auto trannies.

Ty

Clive Cussler must have 20 people writing "his" books now and needless to say they are no longer the great books of the past!
    James Patterson is the same way. I think it is like a franchise, Pay a fee and you can slap his name on your book.

James Patterson is the same way. I think it is like a franchise, Pay a fee and you can slap his name on your book.

I think that is probably it. Or, the author is getting a little older, has run out of ideas, or just wants to retire....and he finds people who can write books in his same style. James Patterson must write about 4 books a month, he always has a new book out.

I can't get this video in Canada...copyright rules. But, have you ever seen the Stephen King interview skit on Saturday Night Live....he just keeps typing a story while he is doing the interview;
    Stephen King skit Saturday Night Live

edited December 2012
    I had to go to the eye doctor this afternoon for my annual check-up and when I walked outside to get to my car, the heat and humidity hit me. According to the temperature reading in my car after I drove a few miles, it was 87 degrees. This is December, not September! We are having a heat wave - but tomorrow evening, a cold front is supposed to pass by and drop daytime temps into the mid to upper 70's.

Sure has been a hot year!

This morning, we were up to Town Center mall and saw that Aston Martin of Ft. Lauderdale had displayed a new car - $265,000 for their 4 door sedan. Nice car, but for similar cost, they had a white Rolls Royce Ghost on display on the other side of the mall which was gorgious! Next to that, for $224,000, they had a Bentley coupe on display - not as good looking as the Rolls, but still a nice car. They also had a McClaren coupe on display for $179,000 and a Fisker extended range sedan for $110,000.

I guess with all the rich people up in Boca Raton, they couldn't display more practical vehicles. They did have a Cadillac ATS there for around $40,000, but nothing other than those top of the line cars I mentioned above. The have more than 1-1/2 million dollars worth of cars on display. My favorite, of course, was the Rolls Ghost - sharp looking car for around $297,000.

2021 Genesis G90

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >My favorite, of course, was the Rolls Ghost - sharp looking car for around $297,000.

Another sales story coming on here?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    My favorite Bentley right now is the Mulsane. It's drop dead gorgeous!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    We are having a heat wave
    We're having a cold snap. I'll gladly trade my 32 degrees for some of your 87 degrees even up. Maybe a pipeline is in order.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

Maybe a pipeline is in order.

There's plenty of hot air here - don't need a pipeline - just log on!

But you can keep your 30's. I have difficulty handling anything below 68 degrees. When I was up to my brother's place last month near Jacksonville, it was in the 50's and 60's most of the time with morning lows in the 40's. couldn't wait to get out of there - can't take all that cold weather any more.

But high 80's with humidity this time of year is a bit too warm for me. Mid 70's by day and 60's at night is perfect!

2021 Genesis G90

This discussion has been closed.