Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Just had new windows installed. Went to a local window-door store and am very happy. They have experienced installers and even though the windows were custom ordered, there were issues on the installation. They were able to reconfigure and adjust so that the install was perfect. I got top quality windows and expert installation at a fair price. Find a business near you that has been around awhile and gives you a firm price estimate. They can show you several brands and price levels within each manufacturer.
  • sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    I am so proud today to be a Cadillac owner. This from a person who said that he would never own another Cadillac as long as he lived. I proudly eat crow. Our SRX has been a wonderful car after three years of ownership....so much power in that V8 and so much comfort, along with a very nice instrument panel and quality materials. I have to hand it to the wife; she knew what she was doing.

Richard
  • Has it already been three years? I'm shocked at how fast that time went by. Cadillac has worked hard at improving their product and the results are showing their true capability. Wow, there was a time I couldn't imagine saying such a thing about a Detroit make, but here I am praising Cadillac. My dad and I were often at odds over cars when I was young, he preferring American and I Japanese/Euro. He's softened and owns a Toyota now (replaced a Caddy), and I own a Dodge and am praising Cadillac. Funny how things change.

I'd prefer to pick the right product rather than just a brand. Brands can and almost always do change in some way, and either those brand changes, or the changes in our preferences, mean the same brand's priducts may not always be the best fit for us.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    You can also look for shops that just sell windows & doors. They tend to carry a wide array of products, and if you get a good one, they won't try to upsell you - they'll give you the pros & cons of each brand. Plus, they tend to have their own installers who do nothing but install windows and doors all day, and if you have an issue (warranty or out of warranty), they're easier to deal with than the big box stores, who will just send you straight to the manufacturer, or if it's an install issue with the big box stores, who knows how long it will take for them to fix.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Ha! I hadn't seen your post when I wrote mine. I could have saved time by just typing "ditto."

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,959
    Don't forget about the 6-cylinder options, too:
    ATS vs. 335 vs. 350

Interesting comparison. I also liked Jonny Leiberman's video of the 3 car. He explains things really well. He chose ATS, C350, 335i in that order. Says the Caddie has weak points, but, for driving fun the ATS is best.
    Jonny Leiberman compares 335i, ATS, C350

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    It's not unusual for me to be way ahead of everyone else on how to buy correctly. No matter how many times I tell my wife of this fact [often], she usually leaves me at home when she goes shopping. :confuse:
  • Thanks for the link Driver. I'll take a look at the video review tonight.

One of the interesting reactions from Cadillac dealt with the compaints of the manual transmission feel. After the negative review of the 4-cylinder manual tranny, GM stopped production and reworked the bushings to refine shifter feel. That's pretty impressive responsiveness and an indication they're truly hungry for this market.

How's life in Florida? Have you found decent tennis partners down there? How's the Passat treating you?
    edited January 2013
    How's life in Florida? Have you found decent tennis partners down there? How's the Passat treating you?

It sounds like Cadillac has found the way to make a car that could appeal to buyers of European performance cars. I think it will take awhile to build back the trust and reputation before bmw and MB owners switch back. When I spend $50k plus I won't be first inline to switch until I know for sure this is for real. I have seen auto journalists get excited about cars that just never worked out that well in the real world. I would also be concerned about resale value at this point. But, I do give GM and Cadillac a lot of credit, they have come a long way and it shows they can do it. That media centre and 7 cubic ft trunk along with a small rear seat would pretty well kill the deal for me though.

How is life in Florida? Totally enjoying it. They had some freezing rain last night back home so I am thankful to be here. People from all social and economic strata find a way to be here for the winter, and this is a great way to spend the winter. You actually want to go outside most of the day.

Have you found decent tennis partners We were disappointed that they didn't have courts in our complex. But, that turned out to be a good thing. Their is a health and fitness along with tennis club just 15 minutes away. That is better because the players are of all levels and it is organized. I play 3 days a week for 2 hours at a time. The tennis is more challenging, and so is actually more fun than it is back home.

How's the Passat treating you? Since the 535 is here we use it 95% of the time. It is parked in the garage (so is cooler) and it has Sirius, USB music, more comfortable, safer, faster, so it is used a lot more. However, my wife uses the Passat for her activities and she loves it. The Sirius disappeared after 3 months. It makes for a nice little car. The one downside is the lack of power....there are times when it is nice to be able to merge onto the highway, or just break out from a group of drivers. But, I just adjust to the cars capabilities. I was pushing more for a Fusion, but, now that I have seen a few on the road I am glad we got the Passat. It really does handle like a European car (even with FWD).

Thanks for asking, and remembering all that.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    If someone steals it will RoboCop go get it back?

I would like to see how that thing would do with 3 inches of very heavy, very wet snow. Or with the stuff the snow plow piles up at the end of the driveway.

I would say that at least once a year we get enough snow to make that thing useless.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    I will have to agree with you on that one. I have never really considered myself a Caddy person but with what they have come out with lately I really like.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

"The tennis is more challenging..."

It always is in Florida---guiding the walker with one hand and the tennis racket with the other. :P :shades:

Richard
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    LOL :D

At 38 and ready for my first artificial knee, I can only imagine what I'll be like when I retire in Florida. If I'm still vertical and not sitting in a wheel chair, I'll be happy. After all of Drivers talk about Costa Rica, that seems like a nice alternative to Florida.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,533
    "...proud to be a Cadillac owner..."

Me too. Today a car pulled into the driveway and a guy offered to buy the old 93 Deville. I told him no before I found out what he was willing to pay. Dumb.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• I'm glad to learn its working out so well in Florida. One of the nice things about cycling is I don't have to worry about partners and courts, just dangerous drivers, no road shoulders, pot holes, roadway cracks, ice (Colorado), alligators and Burmese pythons (Florida), road debris, oil spills, lane striping, tire blow outs, rain, puddles... See how much better cycling is? :P
    edited January 2013
    "The tennis is more challenging..."
    It always is in Florida---guiding the walker with one hand and the tennis racket with the other.

The nice thing about tennis is it can be played at all levels. They even have wheel chair matches and they are pretty spectacular to watch.

In Sun City Centre which is just up the street and the youngest people are probably 70, they play Pickle Ball. The rules are similar to tennis, the court is about 30% smaller, the ball doesn't bounce as much (use old tennis balls with little bounce), use a paddle rather than a racquette. Very little running,but lots of skill hitting the ball.

I was never big on athletics growing up. I started tennis at 36, and most of the people I play with started about then.....for some reason. It is a marvelous game because you can play it into your 80s or more. It is a good way to socialize. It gives a great sense of well being because you truly are exercising...unlike golf where you get out of the cart, swing, and get back in the cart.

Tennis can be played at all levels, just need people who are at a similar level.

At 38 and ready for my first artificial knee, I can only imagine what I'll be like when I retire in Florida.

We have one player who is very good and he has an artificial knee. Actually, it is fairly common for people to play tennis these days with artificial knees. Back home we have a fellow with one arm. He throws the ball up with the same hand that his racquette is in to serve.

I was never big on athletics when I was younger...I played everything but not that well. I am 90% retired and will be completely in another week or two if my SIL makes his final payment on the business. I am so glad I have tennis to fall back on.

Costa Rica sounds pretty good but Florida also offers a great lifestyle from what I can see. The summer is supposed to be awful, but people find a way to cope. The lack of snow, lack of cold weather, and beautiful sun and long views of blue water and long bridges plus all the green tropical plants makes you feel so good.

It just feels so good.

And, don't forget Pickle Ball is also an option. Not to mention walking, working out with weights or in a gym, golf, bowling, swimming and cycling and they play shuffle board in some places.

• I love pickle ball! Buddy of mine installed a court in his backyard and holds weekly neighborhood tournaments. Everytime I play my knee swells and I have difficulty walking for a couple of days afterwards. But it's still fun. Four surgeries and there's no meniscus or cartilage left. Just bone spurs and scar tissue. Cycling feels great, though. My surgeon is hoping to wait until I'm in my early forties before the first artificial joint. We'll see.

It sounds like you and Mrs. driver have created a life that's bringing you happiness and joy. Keep it up!

That's incredible regarding the one-armed tennis player and wheel chair leagues. Where there's a will there's a way.
    I'm glad to learn its working out so well in Florida. One of the nice things about cycling is I don't have to worry about partners and courts

Thank you, I am glad we are liking it too...it was taking a chance to buy these days.
    I never took up golf because I never had 4 or 5 hours to spend on a game, and I didn't have the money to play golf. Even in Florida, where golf is relatively cheap, it can easily cost $30 or $40 a game. 3X a week, and if your wife plays that can add up to what some people earn in a week.

Tennis is relatively inexpensive. Racquette $100, shoes $60, balls $2.50 and many courts are free. Even city courts can be pretty inexpensive. I also like the fact that you can get in a lot of exercise in an hour if you are playing singles, and 90 minutes for doubles.

I chose tennis because there isn't a lot to organize, you just need one other person. If you take lessons at a local club you meet other people starting out and you can arrange to play with them. Then, as you join groups you meet other people at the same level.

Like I say, most of the guys started playing when they got close to retiring or were thinking towards retirement. Some are natural athletes and they become really good players. I say I don't want to get too good or I won't have enough people to play with.

Cycling has the advantage that you do it on your own so you just go. I know you can do it in groups too. I like tennis because it pushes you to your limits, you get tired but feel great, and you sleep better because you really are tired after an hour or two of running around.

I used to love my bike. One day I was travelling really fast with a friend. I was trying to go over a railway track and my wheel got caught in the track, the wheel turned sharp left, and I went over the bars. I had a leather jacket on which absorbed a lot. But, I could hardly move for a month...I think I still have damage in my hand, arm and foot from that spill. That was probably 20 years ago and I just haven't had the desire to go on a bike again.

Before the spill I was surprised at the number of people who open their car door when you are driving by on your bike, or people who make right turns right in front of you like you don't exist. I used to drive my bike across the city and all over when i was a teenager...I am lucky to have survived now that I look back at the dangers.

Artificial knees are very common these days....no matter what the handicap you should find an activity. One guy I played with today had TB when he was 5. He has had one lung since then and he is 67. He loves tennis and he does other exercise on the other days. The guys playing tennis are doing much better than if they weren't....and they really enjoy playing.

Hope you find the answer. Sounds like you are formulating plans for the future.

. Everytime I play my knee swells and I have difficulty walking for a couple of days afterwards.

Try to keep playing but don't push it. Just find the level that you can play in comfort.

One other thing is this, I play much better and feel much better since I have been working with light weights. Just 10 or 15 pounds and sometimes 20.

It builds up some muscles so you aqren't straining other muscles. I have a DVD and I do them every other days. I find it helps doing everything, and it counterbalances the muscles that are straining.

Yes, I have never earned a lot until I started my own business, and that has all been done in the last 10 years. Before that I earned a very average salary. I never dreamed I would be able to spend the winter in Florida. It is truly a dream come true. But, it is available to most people from what I can see.

Thank you so much for your kind words and I hope you can do the activities that you can enjoy too.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    If you buy an American racquet, you can save money on all those extra letters... It's a real labor saver (just saved another U).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    edited January 2013
    I supplied my BMW insider with the VIN of the 1er I was looking at, and the news was not good. It turns out that the car is a SULEV(SUper Low Emissions Vehicle)- which means that when things break the repairs can be much more expensive. He did note that it was really well optioned for a 128i, but he didn't recommend it.
    No big deal; I don't need a car so I'll just keep looking. If I keep the Mazda it will need new front struts, but a friend who know Mazdas has offered to do the install for free, meaning I can put Bilstein Sports at all four corners along with new mounts and strut bearings for less than what a dealer would charge to R&R the OEM front struts alone.
    Looking at BMWs, the only cars that really get me excited are the 1 Series M Coupe and the Z4 M Coupe or possibly the E92 M3(even though I still find it a bit too porky). Everything else is too big and/or too soft.
    I guess that's why I like my '02 and am attracted to the Abarth. Light, small, nimble, and possessed of a a real personality- as opposed to the over 3000 pound anesthetized boats virtually every manufacturer seems intent on building. Clarkson says the Abarth reminds him of the Mk I GTI and I think he nailed it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

"They even have wheel chair matches..."

Egad! You shamed me---and I deserved it. You know that I'm glad that you enjoy the tennis and are fit enough to play.

Richard
    Don't over do it with that knee. I don't want you to suffer more as you get older. My wife was MVP basketball and MVP tennis. She injured her knee, but wouldn't quit playing. In later years she has paid the price.

Richard
    If you buy an American racquet, you can save money on all those extra letters...

You can save another letter by using "racket".

I happen to play with a Babalot which is made in France, so it is a "racquette".

"They even have wheel chair matches..."

This video shows a wheelchair tennis game.
    Wheelchair tennis 2 1/2 minutes

We have friends who are both in wheelchairs. They have a winter place in Florida. She is a recently retired doctor, he is a financial planner. They meet us at restaurants or at home. He worked on fixing up their Florida home. He does a lot of volunteer work. Sometimes they drive to Florida in their special van (talking about cars they have to be careful where they park, and often some dope will park in the spot next to their loading door - even though there is a sign). Sometimes they fly down, together or separately - can you imagine the logistics.

One reason they love Florida is they can get around and most buildings have to be made so they are wheelchair accessable.

These people are truly an inspiration. When I hear someone say life isn't fair, or why can't I get a decent job (be given), I just have to think of this couple. They could feel sorry for themselves and collect disability payments, but they just keep going.

Incidentally they adopted and raised two children as well.

I happen to play with a Babalot which is made in France, so it is a "racquette".

I know, I am replying to myself, but, I just realized a Babalot is French, so I guess I like the European feel of la racquette....related to the European feel of the road. Guess it has the Euro firmir handling and cornering ability.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Thanks for the vid.

Interesting thing about that video, I think if you put those same cars on a different road, the ratings would be different.

Kind of surprised they didn't include the Audi (S4), as I think it would have won that competion.

That said, I do agree that based on the 2012 loaner 3 series (F30) I drove, the previous generation (E90) does drive better. No doubt that BMW is making the 3 softer. As importantly, the new 3 series has really gone a couple of steps backwards with the "premium feel". There are times the new 3 feels like a 7 year old Hyundai Accent with the sounds it makes.

I have no doubt that BMW will fix that. But, it's quite disappointing in a $50K car to have that sort of buggaboo.

Haven't driven the ATS. Matter of fact, I haven't even seen one. So, can't comment, other than to say it's amazing that the CUE system made it into a production vehicle. Mentioned before, Bob Lutz in his book said he'd squashed a similar system that was being developed for the same reasons the reviewer stated while he was at GM. Apparently, once Lutz was gone, they reinstituted it and fast tracked it to the Cadillac (to dismal results, as predicted).

My GF looked at the C350 and actually went on a couple of test drives in one. Not bad, but I think if you want something that is sporty, Benz isn't where you'll end up. Plus, as the reviewer states, the tech seems unintuitive.

Before I bought my 335i, I test drove a CTS coupe. Not a bad car. But, GM cars all have that certain "GM FEEL". Can't explain it. Even driving my previous Tahoe, there were certain similarities between it and other GM cars I'd driven, regardless of the GM brand. Good for an SUV or a truck. Not so much for a car.

Granted, I've only driven Buick, Chevy and even Caddy rental cars. But, they all felt at least a little bit similar to my Tahoe...just in car form.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    You owe me a new keyboard !! :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Don't worry tyguy. A friend of mine had both knees replaced 13 years ago and he beats me regularly on the golf course.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    I really appreciate it. I will get quotes for the following brands:

Marvin
    Pella (Lowe's and local)
    Andersen
    Milgard
    Simonton (HD and local)

I want to go with a local company, but will use the big box stores as reality check on prices. Now I just need to find time to get all of these appointment/store visits done. I'll keep you posted.
    I have always heard that occasionally the better golfer does not win the match because in golf, there are quite a few variables (including luck) involved that the golfer does not control.

Supposedly, in tennis, the better player nearly always wins.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I once played golf with a fellow who had to use two crutches to walk. Somehow he was able to drop one crutch, brace himself with only one, and make a pretty good swing. He had a pretty good game and was able to keep up without complaint, etc.

He played all 18 holes. I can't imagine how exhausted he must have been on what was a very hot day in Texas...but he never complained.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

That's why I use a raket.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,381
    I played a few times with my BIL and one of his friends. The Friend has 1 arm and 1 leg (well, he has 2 of each, just that only one was "standard equipment".

He actually plays fine. really just swings with one arm, using the prosthetic one to stabilize the club before his backswing.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Train tracks have ruined many a biker. When I was much younger my dad and I were cycling the streets of San Francisco side by side, when we came across a gorgeous woman walking the opposite direction. My dad became a little distracted and didn't notice the tracks ahead crossing our path at 30 degrees. So, he puts his skinny tires right into the track groove, loses balance, and falls over on ME! I pitch over and we both tumble into the sidewalk....right in front of said woman. A little sympathy from an attractive member of the opposite sex soothed our bruised egos. :blush:

I'm thinking the longer I put off an artificial knee the better the technology will become. That's one of the strategies of my surgeon. Minimal invasion until absolutely necessary, and make that first joint last as long as possible.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    >longer I put off an artificial knee the better the technology will become. That's one of the strategies of my surgeon. Minimal invasion until absolutely necessary, and make that first joint last as long as possible.

How's the other knee? Maybe you can get a 2-for-one special. The surgeon here has the double transplants scheduled first in the mornings--they get priority.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

guiding the walker with one hand and the tennis racket with the other

I am still chuckling over your "shameful" remark. I can just see driver flailing around, racket in one hand, walker in the other.

A well aimed shot could knock the walker out of a competitor's hand. I wonder if there would be a way to wind racket strings around the walker legs in order to counteract this tactic?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I think if you put those same cars on a different road, the ratings would be different.

I would agree with the points you made. Fun to drive is important on my list, but, that navi system would drive me crazy. I used the BMW one today, and it is so easy I can do it. Even gives you variations, fastest route, most economical route, shortest, non-highway, and scenic. And then the USB music is all easy to operate. Add the small back seat and really tiny trunk and that would eliminate the ATS pretty quickly.

We weren't too impressed when we test drove the 2013 328. Even the 335 was just acceptable. BMW has given up on the enthusiasts in favor of selling more cars. It will be interesting to see if Cadillac can actually win a place in that market, by being what a bmw used to be.

That was one thing I liked about the Audi immediately. The salesman said Audi's largest market is still Europe, while MB and bmw's are the US. So, Audi is still made to European tastes....however, that could change.

I think they wanted to compare an S8 but it wasn't ready at the time. I think that is the one that would appeal to me.

• I genuinely appreciate the concern, Richard. In March I went though my fourth knee surgery, and the operating surgeon was someone I had used for my third surgery a few years prior. He was able to track degradation between the episodes, and unfortunately the news was grim. I went through a bout of depression realizing that many, well, most of the activities I enjoyed were out. No cutting, no accelerating, no fast stops on my legs. Minimal impact only. Period. I struggled for months leading up to the surgery and then another month afterwards.

At that point I'd had enough of feeling sorry for myself and decided to do something about it. As soon as the physical therapist gave me the thumbs up to do so, I hit the mountains on a bike, and it felt GREAT. Suddenly I was enjoying something athletic that made me feel good without knee pain. I still had to be careful walking around as a little twist of the knee would cause a dislocation and shooting pain.

Fast forward to today after a summer/fall of road and mountain biking, and my legs are significantly stronger, my cardiovascular health is improving, and I'm spending the winter on an indoor spinner, stair climber, and elliptical machine. There's no pain when walking and the muscles are keeping the joint supported.

So, we'll see how long the joint lasts. Right now I feel good enough to drive a manual transmission again (keeping on topic just a little)
    Supposedly, in tennis, the better player nearly always wins.

Interesting theory. I asked a phsychiastrist friend (no, I don't see him personally) why people seem to be good at golf or tennis, but few seem to be good at both.

He said golf is a game of concentration, while tennis is immediate reaction. I think he could be on the right track, with golf you have to take into account the wind, the type of grass, the slope of the grass, the weather conditions, various clubs to use and lots more. Tennis is more straightforward.

I am not sure about luck though, someone like Tiger doesn't have that much luck...as we all know because his wife picked up his cell phone.

But, I think it is true, a more skilled tennis player will almost always beat a less skilled one, because luck plays a very small roll in tennis. Occasionally the ball hits the net and just goes over, but most points are scored because of skill. So, I think skill helps a lot in both games, but, luck plays a bigger role in a game of golf than tennis.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    He said golf is a game of concentration, while tennis is immediate reaction. I think he could be on the right track, with golf you have to take into account the wind, the type of grass, the slope of the grass, the weather conditions, various clubs to use and lots more. Tennis is more straightforward.

So what you are saying is that golf is a game that requires intelligence and the ability to process numerous variables to achieve the desired result and tennis is capable of being played by any oaf with a little strength and a modicum of eye hand coordination.

:P
    edited January 2013
    phsychiastrist

Now you've got me laughing (in a good way). Part of your "charm" is the way you tackle those words that are tough to spell. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    That's brilliant! As a Costco shopper I always appreciate a volume discount. But alas, the other knee is perfectly healthy.
    I once played golf with a fellow who had to use two crutches to walk.

What some people are capable of! Our need to get enjoyment from physical activity does fascinate me. I have heard of blind golfers too, and there is an association of blind golfers in the US.

Can you imagine wanting to golf, and being on two crutches, or playing if you are blind? I think we all get satisfaction out of accomplishing something in our day, and just doing that must be a huge thrill.

This reminds me, our friend who has a wheelchair, would love to be able to buy a car that would allow him to enter it and put his wheelchair in the back. He was looking for a 2 door car (wouldn't work with 4 doors) that could be modified, like his large van. I suggested an older model 2 door Chevy Blazer or Explorer, but they are too high up. He would love a 328 coupe or A5, but those cars just aren't made right. I wonder if a 2 door sporty car could be modified for wheelchair drivers. If you hear of anything let me know.

So what you are saying is that golf is a game that requires intelligence and the ability to process numerous variables to achieve the desired result and tennis is capable of being played by any oaf with a little strength and a modicum of eye hand coordination.

Yeh, that is exactly what I am saying. The thing is, I have to say it in a nicer way or Richard will have to step in again.

Golf can best be described as an endless series of tragedies...followed by an occasional miracle. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I hit the mountains on a bike, and it felt GREAT.

You deserve so much credit for taking charge of your situation. It has taken most of my life to understand almost nothing just happens (I was content to hold onto a job I enjoyed, but didn't pay as much as something more challenging). If you really want something you have to figure out a way to make it happen and then go after it.

You have found a sport that works and you are pursuing it because it makes you feel better, which is great. I imagine swimming would be a good one for you too.

I think of life as being like owning a business in this respect. In business, you will always face huge problems. Every problem has a solution. The successful entrepeneures will find the answers so they can survive and thrive. Same in life, you have to always be looking for the solution to get to where you want to be.

You are doing that and doing a great job of it. Sincerest congratulations.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,250
    >longer I put off an artificial knee the better the technology will become. That's one of the strategies of my surgeon. Minimal invasion until absolutely necessary, and make that first joint last as long as possible.

I had a full knee replacement (left leg) about 5 years ago. It's been very functional within limits, of course. The major concern I would have about ever replacing the other knee would be the very acute pain associated with the surgery (6 days inpatient in hospital on heavy doses of Demerol) and 14 days in a rehab center as an in patient. Then, 3 months of therapy as an out-patient 3 days a week.

It took about 6 months before I felt comfortable sleeping at night trying to find a comfortable position. I still have some residual pain every so often. At therapy, there were several of us who had the same surgery and we all experienced the same symptoms post-op and the same levels of pain.

I would recommend not having the knee replacement until absolutely necessary. The pain and discomfort for all those months is still fresh in my mind. The knee works fine, bit it's the long recouperative period that gets to you. Good luck!

2021 Genesis G90

Golf can best be described as an endless series of tragedies...followed by an occasional miracle.

lol, but so true. I try golfing about once every 3 years. I have no idea how you are supposed to hit a ball over water, and then judge distance so it goes the right distance, not too far, not too short. Then, there is the grass, is it wet or dry, what is the slope of the ground. Way to many variables for my brain to try to cope with.

I like a tennis ball, hit the ball and it goes - no thought process.

This discussion has been closed.