Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Well, today we went to an exhibit in lakeland FL about one hour North of us. It was a Snowbirds Assoc show. I hate these things. This one is aimed at seniors and there are lots of booths and they try to sell you foot massagers, memory pills, health beads, time shares, hearing aids, kitchen gadgets, sleep number mattresses, hotubs, vitamins, foot soles etc.

I never enter a contest or I will be getting calls all day long. I don't bother with home shows either, they should pay me to go and be exposed to all the advertising. At least you may end up with a good idea or two at a home show. The one good thing was the musical entertainment, they were excellent. However, we turned a bad experience into a good one.

We spotted a Chick-Fil-A a few miles awy, on the way to the show. We didn't stick around too long and we got to CFA at about 5 to 12. The lot was almost full and it was busy in the drive thru lanes. We are both on diets so we went with grilled chicken salads, no fat honey mustard dressing, and coffees. All the ingredients were super fresh, the chicken was a s good as can be, and the price $6 is a great value. The fries looked delicious and when I reach my weight goal I will get a grilled chicken sandwich and reward myself with some fries.
    The coffee was excellent too.

On the way in a door was open and I took a step inside, before realizing it was the kitchen. It was immaculate. I was very impressed and am looking forward to going back. Even my wife who is not a fast food fan thought it was excellent.

Someone gave me great instructions for getting to a CFA in Lexington on the I75. I took those instructions with me but we got there at the wrong time of day for lunch, so I am glad I finally got to try it.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

This VW ad is causing some controversy. The ad is to be shown on the Super Bowl. I think some people are overly sensitive, it made me smile;
    VW controversial Super Bowl ad

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    This VW ad is causing some controversy.

Thus far, those two guests on CNN this morning are the only ones to find it offensive. IMHO, it's funny.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    This VW ad is causing some controversy. The ad is to be shown on the Super Bowl. I think some people are overly sensitive, it made me smile;
    VW controversial Super Bowl ad

I viewed the commercial several times to make sure I didn't miss any of the innuendos. In our modern world, political correctness seems essential so as not to offend various religious, social, ethnic and racial groups. There are Caucasian Jamaicans and Bahamians who speak with that dialect, however most of the time you would hear that English dialect from African Jamaicans and Bahamians.

I found it to be a humorous commercial, yet it definitely was a bit insensitive vis a vis ethnic, cultural and racial innuendos. I'm sure VW could have found many other ways to present it's product that was more politically sensitive.

Yes, we are all more sensitive in today's world, but VW should have been a bit more more discerning in its commercial presentation which uses a dialect more common to African Jamaicans/Bahamians than a Caucasian using that dialect.

The commercial did not have to use that dialect to sell its cars - but that is my opinion!

2021 Genesis G90

yet it definitely was a bit insensitive vis a vis ethnic, cultural and racial innuendos

Maybe it is a fine point, but, I think sometimes we can be overly sensitive (that's a nice quality to have, so I hesitate to discourage it). I think it is a play on the song, "Don't worry, Be Happy". The ad only makes sense if it continues with that Jamaican theme.

It would be like an ad that pushes how large something is, and may use someone with a Texas accent. I wouldn't think that would be offensive in most cases.

If you make fun of people because of a perceived negative quality, that would be insensitive. Jamaican people promote that they are laid back and like to enjoy life at a leisurely pace. For that reason, I think the ad is fine.
    Having said that, it is pretty close to the edge though. An obviously white guy suddenly talking like a Jamaican is coming close...what would happen if that really happened in an office, especially if there were other Jamaican workers?

I'll say it is OK but comes close to going over the edge. I think the kid with the Darth Vader outfit was cuter and less likely to offend.....and was more creative.

phsychiastristPart of your "charm" is the way you tackle those words that are tough to spell

Hey, it's a living language so is always changing. I want to be on the forfront of change.

because in golf, there are quite a few variables (including luck

I just remembered being told this a few days ago. One game that has no variables and it doesn't depend on what other players do is.......bowling.

The pins are always the same, the lane doesn't change, there is no wind, no unknown slope, and the other players have no influence over what happens.
    It is just you against those stupid pins.

I just remembered being told this a few days ago. One game that has no variables and it doesn't depend on what other players do is.......bowling.

driveri, there is a variable in bowling - oiling the alleys and waxing the alleys. I remember when I used to bowl, if the alleys were freshly oiled, the ball would not break toward the pocket bit skidded more and did not hook. The same was true when the alleys were freshly waxed.

So, there are some uncontrollable variables even in bowling.

I also remember that when the alleys had not been oiled for quite some time, the ball would hook 8-10 boards. So I had to adjust my point of release. Also, remember that no two alleys are the same. Depending upon ball release and speed, you could have a wide hook on one alley and on the other alley, point of release and speed might have to be adjusted.

Do you agree, driver?

2021 Genesis G90

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    but i finally was able to put the replacement tire on my mom's car today.
    The dashboard is still littered with warning lights.
    ABS, Brakes, Traction Control, Stability Control, Low Tire Pressure, Check Engine and Low Fuel.
    Took it to the gas station to put some fuel in it, but the Low Fuel light is still on.
    Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. I'm hoping they can reset the computer.
    One thing that was nice is that they let me take the new tire/TPMS they installed on the rim without paying.
    The SA said he would just keep the ticket open.
    That's about $250 of product/service on my promise to return.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited January 2013
    A car post and it's about shopping! :sick:

If you're thinking of going shopping in the Springfield, MO area... be sure to take a key for your car's starter.

http://articles.ky3.com/2013-01-23/keyless-entry_36511769

It went from a few isolated incidents to dozens. According to Affordable Towing, the cases are now above the 100 mark. Shoppers pull into the parking lot and shut off their vehicles. When they come back to them, they suddenly won't start.

"I've never seen anything like this before. I've been working in the automotive service industry for about 20 years."

Vehicles are making it into the James River Town Center parking lot on East Independence Street, but, for some reason, they can't get out.

Thompson Buick said they first started getting phone calls last Wednesday. Since that time, things have really picked up. They estimate, so far, they've worked on about 25 vehicles that have had this problem.

Not all vehicles are affected. It isn't hitting a specific automaker.

"It's been the Mercedes Benz, a couple of them. Most of them are Cadillac SRX's all wheel drives," Burnett said about his experiences.

Davis says he's heard reports of Ford, GM, Buick, and Cadillac vehicles being affected as well. The common demonimator: keyless entry, push button starters.

"It seems to be affecting everybody with keyless entry and remotes," said Davis, "with push button starts in their cars."

"Once they lock they can't unlock them. It doesn't work. Nothing works on it at all," Burnett said.

A lot of people are pointing their finger at a tower behind the shopping center. But, according to one of our KY3 engineers, that sort of tower would run at a much different, higher, frequency than a keyless remote.

Once you get away from the parking lot, the cars come back to life.

"We'd hook up to it and get out here to Independence and it would start right up," said Burnett.

"Something is going on that we can identify yet," said Davis.

For the meantime, it's a mystery, and it's keeping Affordable Towing quite busy.

"Within the past week, I've probably done about 14," Burnett said.

"Technology is better, but when you slip away from the keys and start relying on wireless and radio frequency, "said Davis, " there is a whole lot more of a chance of interference."

If you have a keyless entry to your vehicle but also have a key to your vehicle, you should be fine. This is affecting cars that have a push button start only.

Again, there is no explanation to why this is happening, but KY3 certainly will continue to follow the story.
    \

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    edited January 2013
    I just posted a snarky comment on the repair/maintenance discussion.
    Re reading it here, the remote unlocks the door(s), but the Push Button Start doesn't work?
    The reason they get into the parking lot is that they are already running.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    "It seems to be affecting everybody with keyless entry and remotes," said Davis, "with push button starts in their cars."

Very interesting. Luckily, I have one of those cars that has both push-button start and can start with a key. I just pull the push-button start button out of its housing and can then insert the plastic end of my remote into the slot and the car can be started manually by turning the key to start the engine.

I have owned cars with push button start that could only be started by pushing the start button.

Scary, isn't it - radio frequency interference. Very interesting.

2021 Genesis G90

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    Most cars have a fail safe. My Buick has a spot under the cupholders where you put the "key" in. It also has a flip out "real" key to gain access to the car. My Genesis was very similar except it had a slot on the dashboard. I know Nissans have a slot too (under the dash somewhere). I think these people in the parking lot, didn't read their manuals.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

there is a variable in bowling - oiling the alleys and waxing the alleys.
    Do you agree, driver?

I am not an expert on bowling, though we have been going on Sunday mornings because my SIL is trying to develop some strength in her arm...following an operation. btw...it has been fun and I got my highest score last weekend, 157. Just 3 weeks ago we were trying to break 100!

The fellow I know who does bowl and averages about 200 a game said those variables are accounted for when you practice before you play. We actualy don't practice ourselves, we are just playing for fun. The expert said that the alley can vary, but, you get a chance to learn those variables before you start, so there are no outside factors.

Mike, I am just the messenger. I can see why you are saying there are variables, but, he is seeing those variables in a way that can be accounted for.

I have to ask you, do you see why he said what he did? I hate to waffle again, but I think it depends on whether you count the practice as being a way to overcome the intangible factors.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    That would be analogous to a golfer saying that wind has no effect on his game, because he can practice on the driving range before his round..

Lane conditions matter greatly in bowling and adjusting to them is a matter of skill and experience. Not only that, the conditions change during a match.. oil is pushed around by the ten bowlers using the lanes, and adjusting to that quickly is necessary..

It's a very cerebral sport that requires the player to imbibe alcohol.... So, there is that, as well... (I think that's where the term, "handicap", comes in...)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Shoppers pull into the parking lot and shut off their vehicles. When they come back to them, they suddenly won't start.

That is freaky....and would be very annoying.

Yesterday, we went out of town, about an hour North of where we live. When we got out of the door I went to lock the car - by touching the door handle - and it wouldn't lock. I went to reach in my pocket for my keys and found they weren't there. I realized I had left my keys at home.

I could start and drive the car because my wife had her key for the car on her. A good thing in a way, but fortunately there wasn't another key on my key chain that I needed that day. It would have been worse if we were travelling 1500 miles home and I left my house key and office key in Florida.

I felt kind of naked walking around 70 miles from home, without my keys.

Not only that, the conditions change during a match..

I think you have convinced me....there are variables in bowling. Can I at least say, they aren't as great as in other sports such as golf or tennis? In golf there is the unknown, gust of wind, slippery grass, you can miss the mark by driving the ball too far (whereas bowling the ball always stops at the end of the alley).
    In tennis your shot depends on what the other player does. Clay courts are uneven, so ball can bounce at an odd angle. Also wind and humidity and even the sun are factors.

So, can you at least give me that? There are variables, but not as great, and not as many.

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    there is a variable in bowling

Not for me. I'm what is called a straight bowler.

No hook, just aim for 3 inches right or left of the head pin.

I usually get 175-210. It won't ever get better or worse

because there are no variables except my ball launch.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Someone finds that ad offensive? If I were VW, I'd double the amount of showings for it, then. Who in their right mind find that offensive? Who were those 2 people on CNN. They need to get a life.

driver....it's not often I'd say I prefer a previous generation of any car over the current model. But, I will say that about the 3 Series. I prefer the E90 over the F30, for all the reasons you listed. The previous generation really was/is sportier. It also seems like it's much more of a solid piece, better thought out, than the new one.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    . It also seems like it's much more of a solid piece, better thought out, than the new one.

And the new one has that silly GPS screen that is sticking up like it was an afterthought. Even the previous model had it built into the dash.
    We were going to buy a 2013 just out of habit, and it was a business decision to replace the 5 year old 335, but I know we weren't that excited about what we would be getting. The Audi changed that...it felt like what the 3 Series should have been like.

No hook, just aim for 3 inches right or left of the head pin.

I don't know what I am called. I aim for the spot on the floor to the far right. The ball usually curves slightly and just hits to the side of the head pin if I am lucky.

I love the way some bowlers have a big curve and they do it consistantly. They seems to have a big advantage because the ball curves right in on an angle, and the pins fall like dominoes.

We have covered a lot of topics here but never in my wildest dreams would I have thought we would be talking about bowling.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >the remote unlocks the door(s),

As I read it the remote does not unlock the door as they return to the car. It sounds as if it's one of the automatic systems that senses the remote/keys are in the area and unlocks.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    our new RDX has the keyless/pushbutton system. It does come with a "real" key that you can use to unlock the doors, but I am almost positive there is no override for the start button (a trip to the owners manual later can confirm that!)

so it sounds like i would have been able to get into the car, but quite likely not start it.

My wife loves the feature, and would never buy another car without it. I, on the other hand, think of negative scenarios like this, and would be perfectly happy staying with a fob and key (remote keyless I would never give up! I just like the back-up system)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

...you guys are doing that easy bowling. Try candlepin -popular here in New England and the Maritimes of Canada. No hooks. Just straight ball release and taking advantage of the fallen pins.
    Well, today we went to an exhibit in lakeland FL about one hour North of us. It was a Snowbirds Assoc show. I hate these things.

Then why did you go?
    Try candlepin

That and Duckpins is what I learned on. Duckpins have a small ball with no holes. My grandma used to take me to Trocarino Lanes when I was a kid.

• carlinenegcarlineneg Member Posts: 1
    What does the board think about using professional car negotiators, any experiences out there?
    That just adds one more layer of profit taking from your wallet.

Start with a dealer you feel comfortable with. Then learn to negotiate.

If you feel like they're more interested in their dollars than your car, leave.

We have a dodge dealer in town that would skin Lee Iacocca on a purchase.

Well, today we went to an exhibit in lakeland FL about one hour North of us. It was a Snowbirds Assoc show. I hate these things.
    Then why did you go?

Good question! We went because we had nver been before and there just might have been something that was important, or that would have given us new ideas, or we could even run into someone we know.

The performers were excellent, comedians, singers and we saw a full orchestra do songs from the 50s and they were excellent (always nice to see young people sing so well and appreciate music when it really was music). They featured John McDermott and Michelle Wright who are excellent Canadian singers....no Justin Beiber though.

I would say the trip was interesting...took a new route, saw some of Lakeland, listenned to some good music, got to try Chick-Fil-A, so it was a pleasant day...and I learned some valuable information, don't bother going next year.

One other thing...if people ask I can tell them what I thought about it. I once read the good thing about a bad experience is that it usually gives you a good story to talk about....that's how I look at my $200 speeding ticket, people love that story.

What does the board think about using professional car negotiators, any experiences out there?

Do your homework and do it yourself. Find out what your car is worth, "wholesale" and use Edmunds tools to find out what the new car should cost you.

I used a broker once and he bought an 86 Celebrity. When I went to turn on the air conditioner I found out he didn't mark it down on the order form. It could have been worse if he didn't try to make it right, but, he sent me in for an aftermarket a/c unit. It worked OK but didn't really look as nice or work as well as original equipment, and someone might not like it when I trade in the car.

Unless you are totally hopeless about doing the research (and you probably aren't if you got this far to ask us), then go it alone.

Try candlepin -popular here in New England

OK, I give up, what is candlepin or duckpin?

In Canada bowling is played with 5 smaller pins and a much smaller ball, about the size of a softball. I think you have to get the far left pin to get points, and the pins have different values. I find 10 pin is better, and is even more popular now in Canada. But candlepin or duckpin...I don't know.

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    We have a dodge dealer in town that would skin Lee Iacocca on a purchase.

LOL That was funny.
    edited January 2013
    Google is your friend:

Candlepin Bowling

Duckpin Bowling
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I've done that candlepin bowling once and can't stand it! In my part of (WAY) Southern New England, they still have "normal" bowling:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Well, your userID suggests that that's what you do. I'm not sure what you're looking for here, but most members in this discussion are experienced, savvy car buyers, and aren't likely to recommend such services - someone pays the professional negotiator, so whatever that fee is is $X more than the consumer could have paid himself by making his best deal.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I wouldn't even entertain the thought of using a "professional" car negotiator. Just do some research & have a lot of patience.

I recently helped a friend lease a 2013 VW Tiguan SE w/ Sunroof & Navigation. I was able to negotiate a selling price that was basically invoice minus hold back. I got her the base money factor too. How much better could a "profesional" have done?

I did everything via email and didn't set foot in the dealership until it was time to take delivery of the car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Google is your friend:

Why didn't I think of that? I had no idea there would be these variations on the game of bowling. Makes it difficult if you are an avid bowler and you move to one of these areas. I think it would be simpler, if we all just played the same game. Then we would be comparing our ducks to ducks and candles to candles and we could all know what our real scores are.

but most members in this discussion are experienced, savvy car buyers,

Yeh, and we can answer any problems about buying refrigerators, dishwashers, washer dryers, windows, motor oil, tires, dishwasher detergent, bowling, returning a watch to CVS, waxing your car, etc.

A fellow at tennis said he bought a 2006 Azera with 7000 miles on it, less than a year old. It totally broke down 8 times. Head office people looked at it and couldn't find the problem. He could have taken it to arbitration, but, the dealer said, just pick out a new Azera and we will trade you even.

When he went to look at the new model Azera he saw a Genesis. He loved it. The manager said he could have the Genesis instead, but he would have to pay the difference, a few thousand dollars. That is what he did and he loves the Genesis.

I was thinking JMonroe (wherever he is these days) should have brought his car down to Tampa, they sound a lot more reasonable down here.

Makes it difficult if you are an avid bowler and you move to one of these areas.

All the candlepin alleys I've ever been to in New England always have some 10 pin lanes. They usually are pretty empty. It's a special treat when we bowl "big ball".
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Yeh, and we can answer any problems about buying refrigerators, dishwashers, washer dryers, windows, motor oil, tires, dishwasher detergent, bowling, returning a watch to CVS, waxing your car, etc.

Tennis anyone? What brand of raquet you play with driver? I've gotta Dunlop Biomimetic 200 Tour... which is a cousin to the raquet you see McEnroe busting up on the Champions Tour. I use it for singles. I use a Babolat Drive Z 110 for doubles, as the power is equal to that of a european sports car. I've been playing in a doubles league for roughly 8 years now, been top dawg for about the last 4. :blush:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    "I can just see driver flailing around, racket in one hand, walker in the other."

There would be one advantage to this scenario. If Driver needed an extra tennis ball, he could just pull one from the four legs of the walker. :blush: :shades:

Richard
    I'm so proud of you for moving forward with the therapy and then getting back into your activities. Thinking positively often produces wonderful results.

Richard
    "...I have to say it in a nicer way or Richard will have to step in again."

You responded very diplomatically and i'm proud of you.

Richard
    Good gosh! After reading about your knee replacement experience, I think that I might just opt for a wheelchair. You truly went through months of pain. My neighbor back in Pinehurst had the full knee replacement. He swore that he would never have the other one done, no matter what. It's such a shame that modern medicine can't make the procedure more tolerable.

Richard
    "This VW ad is causing some controversy."

I wasn't thrilled with the ad. I didn't really find it funny; rather I found it pretty silly to tell you the truth. Neither did I find it car related, as is now the case with so many ads on television. You nearly have to guess at times what product is being sold.

Not wishing to appear overly sensitive, I did think about one thing. If the Caucasian in the ad had used the old Negro dialect (Amos and Andy come to mind) to be funny, the country would be up in arms. It's just my opinion, but I don't see much difference. I am glad that the company did their research and that the ethnic group in question is not offended.

Richard
    edited January 2013
    "...which uses a dialect more common to African Jamaicans/Bahamians than a Caucasian using that dialect."

You're absolutely correct. I agree. Perhaps it comes from my years in education, but I don't like to see ANY group mocked.

I've told this story here before, but I'll quickly repeat it. I was once in charge of a school assembly program. I thought that I was very fortunate to acquire the services of the president of a major drink manufacturer in this country. He was our guest speaker and his topic was "Being Successful in Your Chosen Career". The big day came. I chose my very best student to be the stage manager---lighting, sound, chairs, curtain, etc. The soft drink tycoon finally went to the podium to speak. As a warm up, he told two Polish jokes as humor. Suddenly from the audience, I saw the curtain close right in front of his face. I rushed back stage to ask Andy what had happened. He was furious. You see, he was Polish. I told Andy to cool off and take a seat. I called over the guest speaker and clearly explained what had happened. He did an immediate apology to Andy and the entire student body. The school principal later asked if perhaps we should take any disciplinary action against Andy for using poor judgment. My response was, "We should give him an award!"

Richard
    "Hey, it's a living language so is always changing."

While that may be true, you don't have to smother the life out of it. :P

"I want to be on the FORFRONT of change."

You might be better off on the floor board (keeping it car related). :D;)

What did I ever do before you arrived here? :shades:

Richard
    "What does the board think about using professional car negotiators..."

Heavens no! With all of the available information to us now, why would one bother to pay extra for that service? Then again, you may just be asking the choir. Those of us here are very good negotiators as a rule. I'm sure that there are still plenty of lost souls who need help. BTW, how much do your charge? ;)

Richard
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    My best friend in college was a hyper-competitive athlete. We double dated quite a bit and if any competition was involved he always wanted the conditions to be loser pay all- pinball, bowling, miniature golf- whatever. I finally cleaned his plow when I began dating the BBR(Beautiful Bipolar Redhead). Unbeknownst to my friend, BBR was the University of Louisville intramural bowling champ two years in a row. My pal eventually suggested that we all go bowling and the rest is history... :P
    And as for BBR, we dated for three years and then broke up before we killed each other.
    But it was fun while it lasted.
    Mostly.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

This discussion has been closed.