Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    "Demanding more ads!"

Ah, to have that youthful perspective again.

"I like the Devil's contract ad more..."

I agree. It was pretty creative.

Richard
    "...from sharing the platform with the A and B class..."

Oh, I see. Thanks for that information. If it has the same features, it sounds like a nice car for the price. I'll look forward to seeing it this summer.

Richard
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    "...learning on that wonderful old Caddy?..."

Ha ha no. The Caddy is off the road until spring but I'm thinking of offering to let her drive any one of my cars of her choice (Eclipse, Caddy, corvette etc.) if she passes on the first try.

I can really see the feeling of satisfaction you teachers get from your students. As you get older it's a real joy to pass your knowledge on to a younger generation. Heck, this kid even said she enjoyed the classroom instruction. Great kid.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited February 2013
    I can really see the feeling of satisfaction you teachers get from your students. As you get older it's a real joy to pass your knowledge on to a younger generation.

My father was a law professor from the '40s to the '70s; I still run into his students from time to time. I guess I inherited a small bit of his ability as I enjoy instructing at HPDEs whether in the car or in the classroom. Funny thing: when my son first started driving I was much more nervous riding with him than I was riding on the track at 100 mph with a total stranger. A fellow instructor told me he thought that was due to the fact that you have much more control over the situation on the track- no opposing traffic, intersections, etc.

In any case, SEND YOUR NIECE TO STREET SURVIVAL!!!
    Only $75 and worth every penny!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    :D

I do jest with the comment about the Kate ad. Fortunately I'm blessed to be married to the woman of my dreams. We met and married young, and continue to mature together. I honestly can't imagine spending my life with anyone else. While women like Upton are certainly beautiful, it takes far more than simple aesethics to make for a rewarding marriage.

Ty
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I tried to sign my daughter up last year and there were none around. Looks like there is one close by on 4/13. At least she will be a lot better prepared now.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

What an excellent program for young (or old) drivers! The way people drive today, it should be a requirement to attend such a class.

Knowing what you and your father did for a career, I'm curious. What field did your son choose?

Richard
    I knew that you were jesting. I know from your posts that you are a really good husband. That's what I like about the young men on this forum---family men with strong values and integrity. It makes the rest of us here feel as if we did something right in raising the younger generation---hope so anyway.

As I tell people at times, we've been married 46 years and are still working at it. :) Like you, I wouldn't want to be married to (or live with) anyone else. There's never a 100% guarantee. My parents and my wife's parents both divorced after 30+ years of marriage. Things happen as you go through life and even a good marriage can take some rough hits. The important thing is for both people to keep trying if they can.

I never criticize a divorced person. There are marriages where the suffering, pain, and hurt is too great. There are factors such as alcohol, drugs, and abuse---both physical and verbal. If problems can't be solved, it's best to move on for a person's own physical and mental health. It's always easy to criticize when you haven't walked in those shoes.

I hope that you two have many wonderful years together. I really believe that you will.

Richard
    I agree 100% Richard. Many of the BMW Club chapters teach an adult version. Our chapter even taught one for police as well as other first responders. We were surprised to learn that our one day course gave the officers more seat time than the training courses they received at the Academy!

As for my son, he has mentioned going to law school, although I've actually tried to discourage him. Right now he plans to get a business degreedouble-major in Business and Sports Management and look for a job with a college or professional sports team. I really think that he would have a great future in sports broadcasting- he knows football, baseball, soccer and basketball like I know cars, and he doesn't have an ounce of stage fright. So far he has been accepted to Louisville; now we are waiting to find out what USC and UGA say...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

"...send you niece to street survival..."

Forget her, I'd like to sign up for that. Wouldn't mind doing some track training with you either. :)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

"...women like Upton are certainly beautiful..."

Not according to the media mavens who have derided her as "fat" and "too bouncy" in certain areas. It all depends on what agenda someone is trying to promote.

In any event MB has got 10X the publicity from that ad than they paid for. Somebody, somewhere is very clever.

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I'll see what you guys are talking about during the game. I refuse to look at any of those "see our Super Bowl as today!" things. Let 'em live or die on their merits.

San Francisco -by a very narrow margin.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    I do jest with the comment about the Kate ad. Fortunately I'm blessed to be married to the woman of my dreams

My bother married 2 women of his dreams - unfortunately he does not know the difference between "drams" and "nightmares."

2021 Genesis G90

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    I was telling this story to some people at dinner the other day, and I checked back and I don't see that I told it here.

Around December 14 the tennis guys went to a restaurant in the neighborhood for our annual lunch get together. There were 34 of us and we went to the same place we went to last year.

Food is ok, but nothing special. I ordered a turkey wrap ($7.99) and a coffee ($1.99).
    Food was acceptable, but not great. Service was not great, obviously they brought in extras.

When we went to leave after the meal they told us to sit down again in our same places so they could give us the correct bill. So, we all went and sat down. They had to reconstruct the bills by using an adding machine and a floor plan of who ate what. When my bill came it included a 15% tip (not a big deal as I might have left 20% if the meal and service were good), plus a $3 service charge for having a big group. I asked the manager why they did that, isn't the idea of a restaurant to get more people to come in. He said they had to take on 2 extra people in order to service the extra 34 customers. He said he told the person who arranged the lunch about the extra charges.

I explained, that's what businesses do, if anything we should get a discount for bringing in 34 extra customers he wouldn't normally have.

2 people were upset because they ordered a salad and 2 glasses of wine and their bill came to $30....with salad $10, tax, 15% tip, $3 service charge and $8.25 plus taxes (per glass of wine-that's more than a whole bottle costs me) each of 2 glasses of wine($16.50)!

When I got to the tennis game I told the fellow in charge what happened...we paid for his lunch so he had no idea. He said he wasn't told about the extra charge, we didn't pay extra last year, and the women's group was there a few days earlier and didn't pay extra.

He went back after tennis and the manager agreed to give every one a $5 certificate off on their next meal. I agree with trying to make something right again, but this was not the way to do it. I don't want to go back and $5 off on a meal for 2 which won't be that great doesn't work.

I doubt if this guy will stay in business.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Watch the Ravens #44---he's from our town! Nice boy---stands out in front of Wal-Mart during Christmas and gives out $100 gift cards to needy children. Built his mother a lovely home. Has invested his money carefully.

Richard
    "dreams and nightmares"

Mike, I nearly spilled my tea! That was hysterical!

Richard
    I would do exactly what jmonroe did about his car. I would tell everyone I saw not to frequent that restaurant. That's the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard. What a total rip-off.

Richard
    Forget her, I'd like to sign up for that. Wouldn't mind doing some track training with you either.

Anytime, my friend! :D

"...SF by a very small margin..."

SF wins 28-23. You have it from the guy who's wife says he knows everything...(and what he doesn't know he makes up).

Trust me.

Flacco went to school a few towns over from us, so needless to say it has been all over the local news and papers.

His kid brother is actually the QB for my town's HS team. My daughter is in the same grade and sort of knows him.

I had everything right except for the score and who won. :blush:

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    My SIL is from the same town Flacco is so she was excited for him. I think he played a great game and a well deserved MVP. I thought it was a great game, but I'll tell you the commercials are nothing like they used to be.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited February 2013
    San Francisco -by a very narrow margin.

Hey Fezo, you were 50% right! They did win by a very narrow margin, just that it was the other team.

"...the commercials are nothing like they used to be."

You are so right. Chrysler Corporation wins the prize for the best commercials---Dodge Ram and the American farmer, plus Jeep and the American troops. Both were beautifully done and such a tribute to this country.

The Bud commercials were just OK but the M&M candy commercial was cute. I noticed that they removed the Arab and the camel from the Coke commercial. That must have been some fast last minute changes.

I didn't see all of them because I either took a smoke break or went to the little boy's room.

Richard
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Chrysler Corporation wins the prize for the best commercials---Dodge Ram and the American farmer, plus Jeep and the American troops. Both were beautifully done and such a tribute to this country.

Amazing how the Italians are so good at waving the American flag.
    Well, at least some other country is waving our flag. There aren't many remaining these days. I imagine that they had the good sense to use an American marketing agency. Regardless, they were great commercials---and you could actually understand what you saw and heard. That's a refreshing change. :)

Richard
    Yes they did use an American agency.

I was just pointing out that even a foreign owner understands the power of the brand, image and patriotism.

In reality, the commercial wasn't about flag waving. It was about portraying a image that can be co-opted by those who use trucks merely as a means of transportation.

If you notice at the end the tagline is: To The Farmer in All of Us.

On the positive side, Ram supports the Future Farmers of America along with a group of other companies.
    I did have it right. The official that didn't call the hold on the niners' last play screwed it up.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    "...Ram supports future farmers..."

Dodge gives Farm Bureau members a $500 discount on trucks.

...my 13 YO daughter - who is not one to watch sports other than gymnastics - said in the first half "what would happen if they lost power during the game?" I looked at her with an annoyed look as I was trying to listen to the announcers and cracked "I don't know, I doubt it would ever happen" and "what would they do if a giant grape crashed down into a gymnastics meet?"

She harrumphed and went in the other room. She came back in the 3rd and noticed the game stopped and asked what happened. I sheepishly said, there was a power failure. She laughed and felt oh so smug...
    Dodge gives Farm Bureau members a $500 discount on trucks.

But, if we all have a little farmer in all of us we should all get the discount.

I did have it right. The official that didn't call the hold on the niners' last play screwed it up.

Yeh, and if the guy hadn't run it back 108 yards you would have been right, and if the 49ers scored in the last 3 minutes you would have been right.......

While I am here I vote for the Dodge Ram/Farmer ads. They were clever and enjoyable and I learned something.

I must be getting old. I know Beyonce is very beautiful and she has a great voice, but was that music?

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    There's a good reason why we only allow a 30-minute window for members to edit/delete their own posts. Wouldn't want to get rid of the "evidence," you know.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

It was the power failure. It sapped the official's momentum and he just couldn't see well enough to call the hold. :shades: ;) Also, the half time show distracted him for the remainder of the evening. :D

Richard
    Since when does this motley crew ever edit or delete their own postings? :P

Richard
    at least he made up for it by not calling the receiver for a push off either.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    True... no shame, I tell ya!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    I can't believe #29 for the Ravens didn't get ejected. It was obvious that he shoved the referee. Lame.
    Maybe you could arrange something like giving a few of us to edit and/or delete some posts by other people.

Heap big fun I tell you!
    edited February 2013
    I took my son's X3 in for an Oil Service today and my dealer gave me a new X1 loaner. I drove it to a hearing located in a town @100 miles away. Herewith my impressions:

While our X3 handles almost like a 3 Series, the X1 drives better than a new 3 Series. Unlike the current 3er, the X1 still uses a hydraulic steering rack that lets you know exactly what the front wheels are doing. The ride is on the soft side of firm. The interior is functional and attractive; most all of the instrumentation and switchgear has been lifted from the previous(E9x) generation 3 Series- which suits me just fine. The only nod to form over function is the "beer tap" shifter- an excellent example of a Bavarian answer to a question no one has asked.

This car had the start/stop enabled and it seemed to function much more smoothly than in the new 5ers and 3ers I have driven. Vibration was minimal, and I couldn't tell the engine had stopped without looking at the tach. Most of my time was cruising at 70 or better on the interstate, so I activated the "Eco Pro" mode, which is the über-efficient fuel economy mode. According to the OBC I averaged 29.7 mpg. The OBC also alleged that the Eco Pro mode allowed me to travel 30 miles further on the fuel consumed. And speaking of Eco Pro, it's a great feature to use at a steady cruise, but it is unpleasant in city/suburban driving; Eco Pro softens up response to the accelerator to the point that you think you are driving a car with 55 bhp.

So, would I buy an X1? If I needed AWD capability with BMW driving dynamics-and I could live without a third pedal-it would be my first choice. I'd really like to try an X1 M Sport; I suspect that it is a much more involving drive than most anything in Munich's US line up aside from the 1 Series and the ///M cars...

I'd really like to try an X1 M Sport; I suspect that it is a much more involving drive than most anything in Munich's US line up aside from the 1 Series and the ///M cars...

Just for the fun of it I would love to hear your impressions of an Audi A4 with manual.

btw, I enjoyed reading your review. I think the Audi will lack the power you are used to, unless you try an S-Line model, but, I think it has good old Euro
    handling and suspension.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Terrific X1 write up Roadburner. The X1 you drive was a 4cyl? With careful planning, it is possible to keep the X1's price reasonable.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited February 2013
    Thanks; I might well like the Audi, the A4 I drove several years ago was a nice sports sedan.

Thanks! Yes, the one I drove was a 2.8. For some reason this four didn't feel as rough as the ones in the 528i and 328i I drove. My dealer has a Le Mans Blue X1 M Sport for 38,895. Heated seats and the panorama roof are the only options. The only other options I'd really like would be Xenons and H-K sound- but BMW NA bundles those with other equipment groups so they wind up costing much more than I'm willing to pay...

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    After watching the poor performance by both teams, by the power invested in me by the state of Kentucky... and edmunds, I declare the Dallas cowboys and Tony Romo world champs.

Also, I think it was fezo or oldfarmer that cut the juice off in the 3rd quarter.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I know you are an audiophile. I'm not sure which radio your wife's 328i has, but my car has the base stereo & it is sort of on the weak side.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I took the plunge and switched from DSL to FIOS Voice and Internet 15/5 Mbps download/upload speeds. But so far I am underwhelmed. It took the tech over three hours to run a fiber optics line from across the street into my house and to hook it up to a rather large back-up power unit in my garage. One positive thing I can say is that the workman was very neat.

Perhaps I was asking for too much but is FIOS more hype than speed? And how can I test my upload and down speeds?
    www.speedtest.net
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    www.speedtest.net

Thanks robr2. I tried the speed test site and it revealed a download speed of 15.65 Mbps and an upload speed of 5.25 Mbps. So, it appears I am getting what I am paying for but I can't really notice the speed difference from DSL.
    Also, I think it was fezo or oldfarmer that cut the juice off in the 3rd quarter.

Yeah. OK. Who the heck turned them back on?

And they worry that next year in Jersey we might have snow.... Awwwww.
This discussion has been closed.