Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,959
    My vote for a mature taller driver is a Forester.

Many of the cars suggested would be good ones for seniors, but the Forester is a really good choice. This is a much better list made up by Consumers Report;
    Acura RDX (2013)

Ford Taurus (2008-2009)

Honda Accord V6 (2006-2007)

Honda Accord (2008-2012)

Hyundai Azera (2006-2011)

Hyundai Genesis (2009-2012)

Infiniti M (2006-2010)

Lexus RX (2006-2009)

Mercury Sable (2008-2009)

Nissan Altima (2010-2012)

Subaru Impreza (2012)

Subaru Legacy (2010-2013)

Subaru Outback (2010-2013)

Subaru Forester (2009-2012)

Toyota Avalon (2005-2012)

Toyota Camry (2007-2012)

Toyota Highlander (2004-2012)

Toyota RAV4 (2006-2012)

Volkswagen Tiguan (2009-2012)

More details about why they chose these cars at: Best Cars for Older Drivers

Maybe all models should have a "Silver" edition, with large gauges, curb feelers, extra large buttons, cameras all around, night sensor, no bluetooth. Yes, and lane changer warnings are a great item for everyone.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    no bluetooth

BT is for everyone. The last thing we need is anymore people with the phone to their ear!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

The last thing we need is anymore people with the phone to their ear!

Probably true...I am thinking some of the electronics may be a waste of time for "some" seniors.

Many, probably like me, would like a simple cell phone with no camera, one ring tone, no texting...just dial and call.

I am just joking. Though technically challenged, I do like having Bluetooth. For the occassional times I need to call it is a great feature to have.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,250
    The last thing we need is anymore people with the phone to their ear!

I still cannot fathom why all states and territories of the United States have not passed statutes forbidding the use of cell phones in cars that do not have Bluetooth connectivity and outlawed texting while driving. I see so much of that down here in Florida - it's really scary!

I know several states have statutes covering this, but it should be outlawed in every single state. I was driving on the Turnpike yesterday and this car in front of me was weaving in and out of the right lane. So I decided I would pass the car, and as I did, you cold see the driver, a middle aged woman, texting on her smart phone. Unbelievable! And this was at 65 mph.

Then there are people who are at a stop light, with a smart phone in their ear or in their hands texting. The light turns green, and if you are behind that individual, hell could freeze over before the car moves.

IMHO, there is never a good enough reason to text or talk with your phone to your ear, while driving a car. I don't care if there is a hurricane approaching the coast at 400 mph, that still isn't a good enough reason.

Every car should have Bluetooth connectivity and every phone should be equipped with it (even those given out by the government "free" to those on welfare and/or food stamps).

Am I asking for too much? Seriously, are my expectations too rigid?

2021 Genesis G90

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I still cannot fathom why all states and territories of the United States have not passed statutes forbidding the use of cell phones in cars that do not have Bluetooth connectivity and outlawed texting while driving.

For the same reason that some states allow unbelted drivers, motorcyclists without helmets...civil liberties.

I don't agree with it either.
    The difference is unbelted drivers, and going without a helmet doesn't endanger other people.

Just my .02.

Pass the popcorn.......

The difference is unbelted drivers, and going without a helmet doesn't endanger other people.

True. My point is that legislating any of items I noted are argued as taking away civil liberties. I agree, any distraction - cell phones, navigation systems, dinner in your lap, et al - can endanger other people. But try taking away someone's ability to eat a burger while driving......
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    I have dedicated snow tires for the rear since February 2010.

Everything I read says that you have to put snowtires on all 4 tires. Why do you only put it in 2?
    IMHO, there is never a good enough reason to text or talk with your phone to your ear,

In Ontario Canada there is a law that you can't talk or text on a hand held cell phone. I still see people doing it every day.

When we are in Florida, there isn't any law against calling and texting, and most days I estimate about every 6th person has a cell phone next to their ear. I don't know what these people did before cell phones. No one can be that interesting that they can talk on a phone all of their waking hours...probably not even Oprah! And, who is it that has the time to listen to them?

Then there are the safety issues! I have seen them wander all over the road or cut across 3 lanes of traffic to make an exit, all with a phone held up to their ear.

It is a civil rights issue for some, but, it is a civil rights issue for us innocent bystanders as well.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    Verdugo - I was going to ask that too, but I'm sure jmonroe has an excellent reason for doing so.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Everything I read says that you have to put snowtires on all 4 tires.

I didn't think so because in the good old days people only put snow tires on the rear wheels. However, this is an excellent article that explains why you need snow tires for all 4 wheels on FWD or RWD cars.

Do I Really Need 4 Winter Tires?

That's from the Cdn National Newspaper but snow is snow!

Here's the short answer:
    So does a rear-wheel drive vehicle need four winter tires too?

The APA, an industry watchdog, says they do. The steering of a rear wheel drive vehicle can wash out if you have snow tires on the driving wheels only, the APA says. Plus, anti-lock brakes and electronic traction control won't work properly if all four tires aren't the same.

Transport Canada recommends four identical tires on all vehicles. That means all four tires – whether snow tires, all weather or all seasons – should be the same size and make, have the same tread and be worn equally

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    Everything I read says that you have to put snowtires on all 4 tires.

Let me try to explain this.

The steering of a rear wheel drive vehicle can wash out if you have snow tires on the driving wheels only, the APA says. Plus, anti-lock brakes and electronic traction control won't work properly if all four tires aren't the same.

I’ve heard that too but in actual practice with the Genny, which is a RWD car, I have not experienced that. February of 2010 was a bad month for snow here in the Burgh area. We got a little over 30 inches that month which is well out of the norm around here. We had snow almost every day and what was on the ground never went away completely. So with the Genny having those pathetic Dunlop all-season tires I knew I had to get snow tires, or else. So, I went to NTB to get snow tires and the guy told me to come back the next day because he only had two of them in stock but said I needed 4. I reminded him that because the Genny was a RWD car I didn’t need 4 of them, I only needed 2 and the state of PA does not mandate that I needed 4. The guy says, “I don’t care what the state says, I won’t sell you only 2”. I turned around and headed for the door. Another NTB guy at the next register says, “WHOA, he shouldn’t have said that. I can sell you 2 for a RWD car.” I said, “no thanks, I’ll go to another store where they know the law and they don’t try to oversell me”.

I went to another tire store and the guy said, “sure, I can sell you 2 for a RWD car but I don’t have your size in stock right now but I can have them here by 10 AM tomorrow morning”. He goes on to say that 4 tires would control the car better but if I wanted only 2 he’d sell me only 2. I told him I wanted only 2. Since I had a meeting commitment in the morning, I told him I’d stop by around mid-afternoon. I showed up around 2 or 3 PM the next day, got the 2 tires and so far I have not noticed the traction/control problems that have been mentioned about having only 2 snow tires on the rear of a RWD car. I’ll admit we haven’t had another month of snow like we did in February of 2010, but I had no problems for the remainder of that month after getting only 2 snow tires and there was plenty of snow around here to give the car a good test that month.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

I’ve heard that too but in actual practice with the Genny, which is a RWD car, I have not experienced that.

I would have thought 2 snowtires on the rear of a RWD would be sufficient....that's what we always used to do before they had FWD cars. When FWD cars became popular, people usually only put snow tires on the front wheels.

But, it sounds like traction control and ABS etc. have changed the game. It sounds like you made it through the winter with 2 snow tires on the rear, and you probably won't have a problem most of the time, BUT, if all the articles say you need 4 snow tires, and even most of the ethical tire store personnel said you should have 4 snow tires, and the reasons sound logical, I think if you have gone so far as to buy 2 snow tires, you may as well go the extra distance and get another 2 snows for next year.

The article clearly explained why it isn't a good idea to have snows only on the rear wheels....especially if your traction control comes into play. That won't happen to often, but, if it does then you could run into a real problem.

Just worth considering...............

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Got a call a few minutes ago about doing another lot to lot in the morning. Said sure since I was literally in bed all day today because of the pain and I was exhausted. But since this check is going to be on the small side and I knew that he needed me, I said I'll be there. I have a great crew chief and will always go when he texts or calls me...I go the extra mile for him whenever possible. And I still love my job!

The Tired Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I would have thought 2 snowtires on the rear of a RWD would be sufficient....that's what we always used to do before they had FWD cars.

I learned to drive on a RWD car and so did everybody else in my day who lived in my area. With traction control and ESC on cars today I don’t understand why people say it is unsafe today. I say it is better today NOT worse. Like I said, with a RWD car and only snow tires on the rear I have not had a problem and because of that I’m not going to buy 2 more snow tires for the front.

When FWD cars became popular, people usually only put snow tires on the front wheels.

Putting snow tires on the front only of a FWD car is not safe. Every new car manual I have ever seen specifically says NOT to use snow tires only on the front of a FWD car. Most states don’t even allow that and PA is one of them. Maybe posters that live in other states can chime in on what their states say about snow tires only on the front of FWD cars. While they are at it they can say what their state says about snow tires on the rear only for RWD cars.

Just worth considering...............

I’ve thought about it but I’m not doing it.

jmonroe

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,734
    While I wouldn't recommend using just winter tires on the rear, it's not dangerous (assuming all-seasons on the front..

But, winters only on the front? That would be a disaster waiting to happen. Your best traction tires should always be on the rear.. just for proper handling, regardless of snow capabilities.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The article clearly explained why it isn't a good idea to have snows only on the rear wheels....especially if your traction control comes into play. That won't happen to often, but, if it does then you could run into a real problem.

For that one small chance that it could be a factor, I rather spend the extra money. Small price to pay for my peace of mind.
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I learned to drive on a RWD car

I hear ya JM, but do you remember single wheel traction cars?

Why not 1 snow tire since the other wheel doesn't spin? (except in reverse)

Posi-Trac or Trac-Loc does more for traction than any tire, but I still don't

drive my Mustang in snow because of the light rear. It's more than just tires.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

edited May 2013
    Maybe posters that live in other states can chime in on what their states say about snow tires only on the front of FWD cars.

I've tried to research this question meticulously, with the utmost logic, searching the statutes dealing with automobiles in the state in which I reside, but alas, *jmonroe, I could not find a thing on the books about snow tires. I should have recognized there would be a problem when I used their search engine (Florida State Statutes) with the word snow and the response was "select another word for your search!" :confuse: :shades:

2021 Genesis G90

But, winters only on the front?

Not saying it is a good idea, just saying when FWD cars first came out people would put snow tires on the front wheels only...since those are the driving and steering wheels. It seemed logical that if you put snows on the rear tires on a RWD car, you put them on the front for a FWD.

Of course, this was before traction control, ABS, automatic panic stop features, or we knew about oversteer and understeer, etc.

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    But, winters only on the front?

I tried the winters on front only the first year we had our first FWD car, don't recall getting any hassles from tire place about it either. Worked reasonably well except for trying to slowdown going downhill (back end tended to want to pas out front end). Corrected that the following year.
    I’ve thought about it but I’m not doing it.

Here is a TireRack article about using 2 or 4 snow tires.
    Using 2 or 4 snow tires

Guess one could say they are just out to sell tires.....but, they said you could have serious oversteer or understeer issues using just 2 snows.

Like I say, probably won't be a factor in most cases, but it could be in 1 in 1000 cases.

I don't recall if this had been posted earlier but here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzB7hpWhqIA&feature=relmfu

Yes, they are interested in selling tires...

IMHO, the extra money for winter tires all around is worth it. You can choose for yourself.
    I am so glad I don't commute to work any more. The highway to Toronto was completely blocked this morning when a dump truck driver forgot to lower his bin, and he struck an overpass. The truck kept going for a few miles before he realized he had lost his bin.

I would like to have been able to hear him explaining this one to his boss...

Worked reasonably well except for trying to slowdown going downhill (back end tended to want to pas out front end). Corrected that the following year.

Yeah, only having snows on a FWD car is really asking for a spin out.

Why are we talking snow tires? It's May people! ;)

We should all be bitc*** that our cars are covered in pollen.

I tried the winters on front only the first year we had our first FWD car,

Probably before traction control days....we all did it then.

Why are we talking snow tires? It's May people!

Because some of us haven't had the chance to swap tires yet...I have 3 cars to do.
    The truck kept going for a few miles before he realized he had lost his bin.

What a moron. How can you not notice a 3 ton metal bin being ripped from the chassis of your truck.

Drugs or alcohol had to play a factor here.

Because some of us haven't had the chance to swap tires yet...I have 3 cars to do

Ouch! Don't snows wear really quickly if the temps are warm? I guess I'm lucky here in NJ that snow tires aren't really needed.

Here in Boston it seems we had a rash of Canadian lumber trucks hitting bridges, dumping loads and not stopping for 15 or 20 miles until they were stopped.

Yes, alcohol was involved in many of the cases.
    Ouch! Don't snows wear really quickly if the temps are warm? I guess I'm lucky here in NJ that snow tires aren't really needed.

Yes winter tires do wear faster above 40 degrees F. Luckily, this winter all three cars were driven less than 8K miles in total so wear overall has been low.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzB7hpWhqIA&feature=relmfu
    Yes, they are interested in selling tires...

That was excellent...only 1 minute and 40 seconds long and explains why you should have 4 winter tires, hard to argue with that unless you are even more stubborn than I am.

I almost wonder if 4 all season tires are better than 2 all season and 2 snows. It sounds like having different tires could really make the car do something you don't want it to do......it goes against what the engineers intended.

n Boston it seems we had a rash of Canadian lumber trucks hitting bridges, dumping loads

We get blamed for everything! :P

Blame Canada!......

Click!

edited May 2013
    I guess I'm lucky here in NJ that snow tires aren't really needed.

In New Jersey, you don't need snow tires? That's like my saying down here in Florida that I don't need sun screen when I go out doors and sit by the pool or I refuse to install hurricane shutters because we don't get many hurricanes! I realize that if you live near the coast, you tend to get less snow, but I know you guys have gotten storms over the past few years that have dumped a tremendous amount of snow on the Northeast, including Jersey.

Maybe it melts quickly, or something. When I lived in New York, I always put snow tires on my cars starting in November and kept them on until mid March. And when I lived in the Chicago Area, I think my cars came right from the factory with snow tires! (just kidding)

:)

2021 Genesis G90

Blame Canada!......

Click!

That's hilarious...."there not even a real country anyway"

I'm in SJ right over the bridge from Philly. I've never felt the need for snows, even in the worst of winters we've had.

The first year I had my Genesis we had a nasty storm in December and I was caught at the office. That was a really tough ride home, because I learned how bad those Dunlop tires were.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Last week I mentioned how impressed I was with the new Ford Fusion. Apparently, I am not the only one who shares that opinion because in April, Ford sold 26,722 Fusions, that is a 23.7% increase over the previous year.

By comparison, Camry sales dropped by 13.9% and the Accord down by 5.2%.
    Business is so brisk at Ford that they just announced creating 2,000 new jobs at their St. Louis, Missouri, F-Series truck plant. By the way, the F-Series pick-up sales were up 24.4% in April over same period last year.

Finally, great to see the domestics are doing well and gaining market share.
    Of course it's great they are hiring. But more than half of those workers are being hired for the new Ford Transit van production - let's hope the new Euro styled van sells well.
    Why are we talking snow tires? It's May people!

I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it. However, I saw on the national news last night that somewhere out west (Wyoming?) they got 21 inches of the white stuff. I guess those people better keep their snow tires on till they get home from the July 4 th parade. :sick:

We should all be bitc*** that our cars are covered in pollen.

Where I live, about 15 miles east of the Burgh, we don’t have too much of a pollen problem. I couldn’t say that when we lived in SC. I never knew what pollen looked like until I lived there. You could tell when people didn’t use their garage in the spring, lots of pea green cars. :surprise:

jmonroe

...because I learned how bad those Dunlop tires were.

Dunlops were the tires that caused me so much trouble on my short-lived Lexus GS350. Hate those tires.

2021 Genesis G90

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Learned to drive in Greensburg -- lots of hills and no front wheel drive. If you wanted 4 wheel drive back then you bought a Jeep. A set of snow tires for my LaCrosse would run about a 1200 with install. Adding a set of cheap dedicated wheels would bring it to 1600 at least plus the cost of install and removal twice a year. Then I have to cart the tires home and store them. AWD cost about 2100 minus discount and I just use the all seasons. On trade-in I'll get about half that back. Works for me but not for everyone. Getting snows on the rear only is fine if you drive sensibly -- can't see much of a problem.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    However, I saw on the national news last night that somewhere out west (Wyoming?) they got 21 inches of the white stuff.

Not sure where that was but we got 3-5" of snow yesterday here in Colorado.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Of course it's great they are hiring.

According to the NY Times, G.M's first quarter North American operations pretax profit fell by 14% to $1.4 billion compared to Ford's North American operations whose pretax earnings were $2.4 billion a 14-percent improvement over the same period a year ago.

The earnings show that G.M. still trails Ford significantly on profits earned per vehicle sold in the thriving United States market. Good management at Ford or is it the stigma of the bailout that is hurting GM?

Outside North America things were not so rosy for both automakers though. They still continue to struggle in Europe as usual.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    edited May 2013
    Dunlops were the tires that caused me so much trouble on my short-lived Lexus GS350. Hate those tires.

I have the Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT all-terrain tires on my Wrangler and Direzza Star Specs on my 318ti track rat. No complaints. I guess it depends on the specific tire and its intended application.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Adding a set of cheap dedicated wheels would bring it to 1600 at least plus the cost of install and removal twice a year.

Same here, near Toronto. If I lived in a snowbelt area I would want snow tires, but for most situations AWD does the job nicely.

About driving sensibly and only using 2 snow tires....I still think there is an unknown that you can't plan for. Like wanting to stop and traction control kicks in on one rear wheel but the front wheels aren't gripping and you are getting pushed forward or to the side. I just think if you are going to go so far as to get 2 snows, you might as well get 4. It's not a big cost because you are using your other tires that much less anyway. It could actually cost you less in the long run. What a mix up if you do tire rotations too!

edited May 2013
    Hey Roadburner! While you are there do you know what those little doors are on the roof of a bmw? There is kind of a trough that runs the length of the roof on both sides, and there are 2 little doors on both sides, looks like you put a flat head screw driver in to open them.

All our bmw sedans have those little doors.

I'll venture a guess and say that you attach a roof rack support posts there.
    I have the Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT all-terrain tires on my Wrangler and Direzza Star Specs on my 318ti track rat. No complaints. I guess it depends on the specific tire and its intended application.

The tire J and I are referring to is the SP Sport5000. They wear and perform like summer tires, but somehow get an all season declaration. They aren't suitable for winter driving on any vehicle IMO.

LIke any brand, they have their good and bad lines. I love Goodyear Assurance, but would never put a Goodyear Eagle GT on any car I own again.

Currently I have Michelin Pilot on the Buick and Michelin Symmetry on the Grand Marq and thrilled with both.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    For the 1st 8 years of its life, I did the "changeover" every November & every March. With 4 snow tires, my little FWD Prelude tracked perfectly around turns & never once got stuck.

I even bought 4 snow tires for my FWD 2010 TSX. After have an AWD X3 before, I didn't want to get "that call" from my wife. It worked out well because even though it didn't snow that much during my 2 1/2 years with it, I traded it in with the snow tires (they had lots of tread left).

My BMW & my wife's Pilot are both AWD/4WD respectively. For the 10 days a year it is necessary, it really comes in handy.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

This discussion has been closed.