Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Which is a risky thing too - although maybe the US market is big enough to support it. Price the Genesis in German territory, and most of the developed world won't go for it.

Is there an Azera commercial airing now? I've seen a few new ones on the road.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    the Azera really serves a different purpose (market niche) even though it is similar in size and price. I look at it as similar to Lexus with the ES and GS.

I remember when the genny was coming out, my friend that works for corporate (so I got to see all the new models 3-4 months before they were in the dealers) had one, and he told me that he preferred the Azera, because it was a more cushy ride. So, appealing to the older (Buick/Avalon) set instead of the younger, "euro" crowd.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Well, it's cheap. It may be no bargain though. Long-term quality in Hyundais still seems to be a crapshoot.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited March 2013
    Azera is in the 30s I think, but it only comes loaded. Edit: 29.5 to 35 or so.

There's still plenty of room below the E and 5. They can find a sweet spot in the 40-45k range.
    edited March 2013
    I'd wager 95% of Genesis transaction prices are no more than in the 30s, and Sonata can creep up close when loaded. Lots of product in that range, and you step into legitimate premium badges without much more increase.

New one will need to be something of a revelation.

Just saw the commercial again. Clearing out inventory no doubt.
    edited March 2013
    Took a peek, there's way too much overlap. Pretty much starts at a grand more than the Azera, and median price is about where the Azera leaves off, so 50% overlap. The 5l V8 peeks in to the low 40s. 10% of them were in the 40s (you were close).

Drop the base V6, make the premium package standard, and they would not overlap.

No way no how I'd ever pick an Azera over a Genesis.

The only Sonatas in the $30s are the hybrids, so that model is about where it should be. If we exclude the hybrid it doesn't overlap with the Azera at all.

When the new Genny comes out the lineup should be sorted out in terms of price, with little/no overlap.
    http://youtu.be/R-iMnsOPPNI

Flash back to the 80s with this Trans Am T-top custom.
    http://youtu.be/v0pb0vvi37U

Playful, if a bit silly. May just work for a young demographic.

I like the seat belt on the milk at the end.
    Very clever Renault ads:

For guys:
    http://youtu.be/4C5SgA9d9gQ

For gals:
    http://youtu.be/LgQSXQHILPM
    A couple commercials being aired a lot right now are kind of annoying. Any Honda ad with whistling style music in the background - seems to be a dorky ploy put people at ease, as if a car is so worrisome and stressful. Whistling makes troubles go away! And VW commercials featuring annoying early 30-somethings - guy has to have faux scruff (the last gasp of masculinity his owner allows) and a collared shirt with a sweater or similar. I think the ad copy business is ran by hipsters.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Would have thought VW would move on from their silly commercial of 3 guys out for a ride in a VW beetle convertible on a cold day with top down. The driver goes into a store and scares people with his mask on. Too many commercials apparently written by teen-age boys and for teen-age boys who don't have money or job to buy a new car.
    Creepy ad, doesn't make you want to buy any car at all.
    A lot of middle aged guys are just teenaged boys who haven't moved on. When their leash-holding wife or daughter makes them buy that Beetle, the commercial will make them think it's something other than what it is.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    It's funny, my high school age nephews told me about those cars over the weekend. Maybe they had already seen the video.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Subaru takes a stab at a heritage themed video:

http://youtu.be/ohQYv9QVIY4

I'm a little disappointed they didn't show some of the early vans, though.
    edited April 2013
    Cool, but 2 minutes + is not really a commercial. They need to make it 60 seconds or less, and put it on TV. It's just a marketing/PR piece, as is. But nice to see them acknowledge the past, they have some interesting cars.

A long heritage themed promo piece

Probably the first heritage themed commercial
    The funny thing is I kept thinking the Subaru video was finished...and then it kept going. At least twice. :D

Is that Benz video from the museum? Neat.
    edited April 2013
    Some of their 70s and 80s material is so weird, it is cool

The long MB piece is from a MB facility in England (and contains a few factual errors).
    http://youtu.be/9igiKOCh5Wg

Hope it's half as good as Senna was.

I can take my little boy, too, just gotta tell him Thor is driving! :D
    Might be a good one. My dad was into F1 back in the 80s, I remember a lot of the names.

I wish Group B could come back so we could have the "Havoc" series again - I spent hours watching those.
    I think the rivalries are what make great F1 championships, and perhaps what's been missing in modern F1. There always seems to be one dominant driver.

Now it's all drifting and fireworks.
    All too much PR and hype. F1 now is a polished marketing machine.

I like Vettel and Kimi, though.
    I'd rather see Kimi driving a rally car, though.
    Being Finnish, he should have a natural ability.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    edited April 2013
    Funny a guy who has all that would just drive an Acura. Why would he live such an opulent lifestyle and be such a relative cheapskate about his ride? I picture a dude like that in an S63 AMG. The average Acura driver probably lives in a cardboard and Tyvek McMansion in some tacky new development, stops at Starbucks for a coffee, then goes to his mundane job in an anonymous office park.
    The opulent lifestyle guy would be picked up by a driver.

A least that's how it is in DC, probably all east coast.

Except maybe Miami. That guy would drive a Bentley coupe.
    The average Acura driver probably lives in a cardboard and Tyvek McMansion in some tacky new development, stops at Starbucks for a coffee, then goes to his mundane job in an anonymous office park.

House and surroundings not all that opulent in commercial.

In a news clip on national tv a couple years ago, our U.S. Attorney General, Eric Holder, was seen in front of his house with an Acura TL 04-08 vintage. Seems that Mr Holder has quite an "above average" job, has a prestigious office and chooses to drive a TL.
    edited April 2013
    Nowhere near as lame as the ads by MB, BMW and some others that mysteriously have disappeared from TV. Those showing the cars sliding around on gravel or sand. Dumb. Nothing to aspire to in driving style. Nobody drives that way except perhaps top world drivers in real race cars in the WRC and similar rally-races. And, their driving style is purposeful. Not for a silly tv commercial.
    Notice he wakes up with no luxury wife beside him? Maybe she's already out shopping in her ML/RX etc, or she's ran off, leaving him with the played out "modern" house and a pile of bills. It's definitely a middle manager's car.

I suspect the 35 year old yuppie from 1985 in his 325i isn't lining up for the RLX in 2013.
    edited April 2013
    Get out of flyover country and check housing. A house like that in my zipcode, nicely sited and shown, would easily hit 7 figures. It would be similar in much of the west coast and from DC north, or even in the lush areas just northwest of Chicago. Boring modern houses are trendy now.

TL is kind of apples to oranges - not the top model, and the 04-08 was a clean design with usually reasonable prices. This new age RL looks like a 5:4 scale Accord, has enough headlights for 6 cars, a beak - and costs as much as the Germans. It has some interesting tech, but I don't know if they are going about this the best way.
    edited April 2013
    Funny, those lame ads sell. That's what it is all about, you know. A lot of people aspire to an active appearance, even with a dull car.

I've seen a silly MB ad within the past few days, one that starts with an orange car.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Anyone who hasn't seen Senna, it's well worth watching. It is available on Netflix.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I didn't know there was such a thing as "luxury sugar." Or was that a joke?
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    That's worth owning, I'll buy that DVD.
    edited April 2013
    Looked like cubed brown sugar. Probably $38 a box at Whole Foods Paycheck.
    Sometimes I think that entire ad is meant to be sarcastic or ironic. But somehow, I think it is serious. Someone else suggested a better variant - guy is in a normal residence with boring normal things, then comes out to his "luxury" car, which makes everything else seem unimportant.

I think that's the raw sugar that takes forever to dissolve.
    Thanks Lemko. Considering I own 3 of them (Acuras!) Though to be fair, 2 of them combined have over 1/3 of a million miles on them.

and I hate Coffee, and would never pay for starbucks.

And my mundane office cubicle is my guest room, since I WFH (though I still have a dismal cube back at the office...)

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    And my mundane office cubicle is my guest room, since I WFH (though I still have a dismal cube back at the office...)

Ditto .. extra bedroom has been converted into a combination home office (for me) and craft room (for wife and daughter).

Why do you have a cube at the office? Seems like a waste of resources from the company's perspective.

and I hate Coffee, and would never pay for starbucks.

While I don't drink coffee, I do love the smell of it. Wife has a bit of a Starbucks addiction, even though we've got a Keurig machine at home.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I bought the Senna BD, but haven't received it yet...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    House and surroundings not all that opulent in commercial.

Yeah, but when your sugar comes in little brown cubes roughly the color of my 2000 Park Ave, instead of a a ten-pound bag that says "Kirkland" or "Richfood" on it...THAT's luxury! :P

Funny thing is, I have a friend who's somewhat like that...with one exception. He's anything BUT car-conscious. He won't balk at paying $1,000 for a bike (my last bike came from WalMart about 14 years ago), and I doubt if it was $100), $100 for a dress shirt (I don't even know how much a dress shirt is "supposed" to cost, as I always get a few from my Mom and stepdad for Christmas, and she'll always buy them throughout the year, on sale, and then give them to me), buy the latest and greatest electronic crap on a whim, and so on. And, I don't know if it's "luxury", but I think his coffee maker was around $100 or so. We always buy the $20-25 model and when it breaks, to quote Eazy-E, say oh brutha, throw it in da gutter, and go buy anotha'. But, he doesn't even own a car.

You can sort of get away with no car in DC though. Heck, you could get away with it out here once upon a time, but they shut our branch of the WB&A down back in 1935, pulled up all the track in 1939, and sold it to the Japanese. :(

My grandmother's cousin, who was born in 1924 and lives next door to me, remembers riding the thing as a kid. There was a station just a few hundred feet up the road from where we live.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2013
    Went to lunch with my 50-something brother in law in Seattle a couple of days ago. He got his license (in southern California no less) but never drove again.

Last week we had lunch with two twenty-somethings in Chicago and neither of them drove.

And yeah, all three of these folks were checking their smartphones pretty frequently. Not only did we drive to Chicago, but we rented a car for a day in Seattle and have wheels available from friends at our next couple of stops.

What we've spent on the rental and gas would have paid for a two year subscription and an iPhone, so maybe they aren't all nuts. Just not car nuts.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    I can't remember the last time I've seen that episode, but I remember watching it, first-run, with my grandparents. I liked how some appropriate classic rock/oldie song was playing on the radio, as he pushed the car onto screen. IIRC, the first one was to the tune of "Welcome back baby, to the poor side of town". And the final car, which actually moved under its own power, was to the tune of "I'm walkin'"
    technically I still work in the office, I just never go. And they haven't had to repo the cube yet. My boss wants to keep it anyway since some of us (often from out of the area) have to be in the office at different times, and it is a home base.

That's the episode, been eons since I have seen it, but I remember the songs. I think there was a Pacer and Gremlin.

Oh, of course there was - best site ever
    And that's not bad. I won't complain about disinterested people not driving. Sadly, public transit is devolved to such a point in many areas, where there often isn't a choice.
    I don't know if I should be excited or embarrassed, but I owned 2 of those cars. And not the good ones like the Mustang or BMW!

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    When he got the Gremlin he said, "I can almost pull this one!"
    The dumb Infiniti ad with the G catching up to F1 style cars to ask for directions is still airing. Shamefully lame.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Another ad that makes the owners of the car look like clueless idiots...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive