Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    I believe it means that they can't honor that price if you want to lease because the factory is only providing the $3500 incentive on a sale.

Yes, that would make sense. And, obviously, it only works if you buy the car outright as if you leased it at that price you would only be paying off a portion of the car and they would lose big time.

Seems awkward inthe way they say it but they do have space limitations I suppose.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

I think that buying a ponycar without a big 'murrican Vee-Eight is tantamount to a crime against nature...

You have a good point there, but, on the other hand, that is a pretty nice car for $21K....if you can meet all the requirements.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ....if you can meet all the requirements.

Which should also include being a hair dresser or a coed spending Daddy's money....
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    I agree - the V8 is the allure of the pony car. The sound of a V8 is worth the price of admission alone. As zipdriver :P found out when he traded in his V6 for a proper V8 Mustang 3 months later.

I do deal with a sales rep who is a car guy. His DD is a 2012 V6 Challenger. Before that, he had a 2010 V6 Challenger. When he went to trade in his 2010 for the 2012, he had his heart set on a V8. He crunched the numbers and just didn't think the extra gas & insurance would be worth it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Which should also include being a hair dresser or a coed spending Daddy's money....

....and if you buy the car on a Monday or a Thursday and it has to be an odd day on the calendar, and only between the hours of 3 to 4 PM.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Seems awkward inthe way they say it but they do have space limitations I suppose.

So do those tires & wheels.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    And here I thought those wheels were a new trend. ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    "Do you love the excitement of hydroplaning? Think drivers who enjoy having their vehicle grip the road as they make hairpin turns are 'control freaks'? Think the confidence of keeping the car on the road instead of a ditch is highly overrated? Come see us for the experience of a lifetime - one test drive and you'll be hooked!"

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Think drivers who enjoy having their vehicle grip the road as they make hairpin turns are 'control freaks'?

Maybe they are for people who "don't like the feel of the road".

edited May 2013
    Guy places an ad in Kijiji (just like Craig's List in Canada) and Auto Trader.
    2 Guys come to look at the truck at 9 pm on Monday evening.
    They go for a test drive, he tells his wife he will be back in a few minutes.
    He has been missing ever since.
    His wife makes a heartbreaking appeal to return her husband.
    Appeal for missing man
    Wife makes appeal to return missing husband

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    Did you remember to see if the chicken is done yet? ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited May 2013
    My next door neighbor is selling his car, so I made sure I checked out the cars of the people looking at it.
    Locally, the other day through craigslist, a guy met someone to sell his tablet.
    They just walked up to his car shot him and took it. :sick:
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    They just walked up to his car shot him and took it.

Each and every year, even day-by-day, elements (people) in our society truly believe they can take whatever they want from people who have what they want. Like it's "their right" to equal the playing field - take from those who have and give to those who don't have. This is echoed by the government in a different strategy - redistribute the wealth in this country - take from those who have so we can give to those who don't.

There is a parallel here - if you philosophically dig deep enough. It's a philosophy and ideology that, for the most part, was never propagated on this country in recent history. The philosophy used to be that if you want something, you work hard, save, and you can buy what you want. Now, either "take" or wait for the government to give.

This is my opinion - at least it has been for the last 10 or so years.

2021 Genesis G90

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Mike - when I was going through chemo and into the transplant they gave me a morphine pump. To tell you the truth pain wasn't my main issue but once in a while I ended up taking a shot of the morphine kind of for recreational purposes. I was bored out of my skull and scared stiff at the same time.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Mike - when I was going through chemo and into the transplant they gave me a morphine pump. To tell you the truth pain wasn't my main issue but once in a while...

I have never used drugs recreationally - mainly because most of them I'm either allergic to or get constipated from them big time. They will probably give me morphine IV for an hour or so after surgery, but I will be driven home 3 or 4 hours later and will have only morphine tablets.

After watching some videos on shoulder orthroscopy, I have a better idea how much pain I will be in.

If anyone is interested in what I will be going through, use this link and my surgeon has several videos.

www.meliortho.com

2021 Genesis G90

They just walked up to his car shot him and took it.

Some people are saying if you take someone on a test drive then don't take your wallet or credit cards...take a photocopy of your license.

However, someone coming up and shooting you to take something is hard to protect against.

I think Mike is right....people steal kids running shoes or leather jackets, this is the age of entitlement....get it however you can.

I think this is something to think about though, if you are selling a car privately take proper precautions. You could be in a precarious situation.

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Around here the worst thing would be checking under the car and your concealed carry piece falls out of the holster and gets a scratch on it.

An armed society is a polite society.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    Thanks, Mike.

Best of luck to you for a speedy recovery as well! Also, congrats on the new Benz!

Seattle has had some great weather this week, but unfortunately I have been stuck in the office for going on 60 hours with both weekend days ahead of me. I escaped tonight for dinner with my wife. We sat outside on Alki beach. It was a wonderful break from reality.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    I live about a half hour from Isell and Fin, I believe.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited May 2013
    An armed society is a polite society.

Oscar Pistorius's girlfriend may have a different opinion!

I am not advocating one way or the other, but, there must be a better way, and, I think, it is somewhere in the middle.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Let's just say that the chances of using your own firearm to actually defend yourself or your family from harm is infinitesimally small, compared to the chances that the same firearm will be used to harm you or your family.. (either by a family member or someone else)..

I fully support constitutional rights, but most households would be safer without a firearm on the premises... maybe, they should just buy the warning signs, like we put out for home security... We don't have a security system, but the burglars think we do... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Kirstie....funny, my son came into town last night from his job at Ohio State. He's as much as a car enthusiast as I am. He said the new trend at the University is to put plain steel rims (the rustier the better) on BMWs, Acuras, etc. He said the students who are living on trust funds get bored and have started this trend. I guess local junk yards can't keep them in stock.

Go figure.

Mike, when I had my heart attack a couple of years ago, they had me on morphine, too. Like Fezo, while I don't remember much pain after the initial dose (the heart attack itself hurt like a mother), I do remember being paranoid, but not really caring one way or the other. Weird drug. Can't understand how someone would want to be addicted to it. It does a number on you if you're in pain, though.

Driver....maybe I shouldn't think this way. But, what if the guy who disappeared showing his truck to pontential buyers did so on purpose? Maybe he had it planeed out in advance? Actually, I hope that's the case and not what could be (kidnapped or murdered). If someone wanted a truck, just take it. Why go through the trouble of doing something much more sinister?
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I fully support constitutional rights, but most households would be safer without a firearm on the premises.

In 2010 there were 606 deaths in the U.S. from accidental shootings, while estimates of people who successfully defended themselves range from a low of around 370,000 to a high of 2.5 million.

These stats are from "The Law Center To Prevent Gun Violence".

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Lies, damned lies and statistics?

Any suicides included in that figure? What about intentional shootings?

From the CDC:

In 2009, suicide deaths by firearm: 19,392

That's just one category of firearm deaths that I cherry-picked...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I wouldn't classify suicide as an accidental shooting. Lots of ways to do yourself in. One of the few things that the gov. can't control. Maybe you could get Al Gore to start a campaign on the danger to humanity of bridges and tall buildings. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I agree.. suicide is not accidental..

But, I never meant to assert that the danger of a gun in the home was only accidental death (and, I don't think I did).. I just think having a gun in the home actually makes you less safe..

32,000 gun deaths per year in the U.S.
    Driving a car is safer than owning a gun.. (And.... Back on topic!). ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Please folks, leave your political thoughts at the door. The one great thing about this forum is that we don't touch on sensitive subjects like religion and politics, so please, let's keep it that way. I'd hate to have to leave this forum due to people spouting their "opinions" on these subjects. let's keep things light...please!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I thank G-d for the morphine sulfate that I am taking as it lets me live basically. The two side effects you mention I've dealt with for awhile now but they are things that I just live with...the benefits far outweigh these minor irritations. Of all the meds that we tried, this one just works so I can function and just get on with things...our situations are a bit different as after a few weeks or so, your pain will go away. Mine is constant and is always there, in the background...the meds help me deal with it in a productive way.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Well, at least sandy understands that guns are a political issue, not a safety issue. A good civil discussion and my last post on this topic.

My stats show only about 8,000 gun related deaths in 2011. Of these, 99% were with already illegal guns, and mostly committed by very bad guys.

Let's enforce the laws we already have, instead of taking guns from the good guys. Just saying.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I thank G-d for the morphine sulfate that I am taking as it lets me live basically.

Sandy, those drugs have other effects as well. They can make you nauseous, dizzy, and since you do a lot of driving, they can be dangerous. If you are involved in an accident and they do a blood test on you, it could cause some serious legal problems for you as well. Narcotics can be detected in your blood for a month after you last took them.

Just be careful with those drugs.

2021 Genesis G90

edited May 2013
    My next door neighbor just sold his 10 year old Saab.
    I asked him where he advertised it and it was a local free paper.
    You can also view it online.
    I looked at his ad. It was a good ad, but no picture and it did NOT include a price.
    He seemed happy with what he got for it.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The key for opiate use for pain is that it works and without it your life can be unlivable. You are dependent on them to improve everyday functioning. That is different from being addicted as in abuser. You take them to be involved in living -- not to escape the struggles we all have in our lives. Still, they do need monitoring -- be thankful you found something that works. Chronic pain is a b****.
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I've never owned a Saab, but from what I've seen they hold value for about 5 minutes.
    My cousin has one and loves it because they have so many personal comfort settings that they tailor themselves to the driver. Then again I've seen them in an auction setting with some of the lowest bids ever recorded. Perhaps they need a guaranteed trade-in or buyback incentive.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited May 2013
    Saab is one of the saddest stories. On Top Gear they showed late 80s Saab 900 and contemporary BMW 3-series dropped by a crane from several stories on their tops. It was staggering to see the difference. Saabs were probably safest cars on road, but nobody knew that. The rally version was strong it did not need safety cage (it still needed it by regulation, but the body was actually strong enough without it). Unfortunately, at that time, people would rather pay for new stereo than for actual safety. Saabs were too expensive for peoples' priorities of the time. BTW it is too late for any program, Saab is gone.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

The amount I take is pretty low actually since I can't take many drugs...even the pharmacist mentioned it's a relatively low dose. I get tested at the doc's office at least twice a year and so far everything is kosher. It has no effect on my driving or thought process at all!

Absolutely...I can live again with their "monitored" use and don't abuse them. For those who've never experienced chronic pain, it really is very hard to live with as it invades every facet of your life...it never gives up and it is relentless. These meds help me "manage" it so I can function normally thus the difference between them and a recreational one...trust me, if I didn't need them to live, I'd never take them as I usually hate any kind of medication...period!

The amount I take is pretty low actually since I can't take many drugs...

Good - I am just worried about your health. I have 30mg tablets of morphine sulphate. I am to take 1-2 tablets every 4 hours for the first couple of days, then reduce the dosage to no more than 1 tablet every 4 hours. I took these after getting out of the hospital and it sure gave me a buzz and constipated me.

But low dosages I would image would be more tolerable.

2021 Genesis G90

what if the guy who disappeared showing his truck to pontential buyers did so on purpose?

I considered that too. A few things though, they did find his cell phone a few miles away.

The same two guys looked at another truck a few days earlier, they didn't do anything but the guy selling the truck was a huge guy - might not have wanted to mess with him.

Police say the missing guy has no enemies. He seemed to be a happy family guy with no problems.

But, you never know...that would be wierd too though!

• ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Better to thank a scientist and then drop a letter to your elected representatives to support scientific research.
    y showed late 80s Saab 900 and contemporary BMW 3-series dropped by a crane

My wife liked Volvos for their safety. In 1992 she needed a hatchback and so she leased a 1992 Saab. It was a great handling car, and was solid as a rock....it really felt safe. The Saab was a manual and you just new the engineers who made it knew what they were doing.

That was the last Saab before GM got their hands on the company. I think they started using parts from the GM bin after that, and Saab was no longer a Saab....it was a SOB!

driver....maybe shows how cynical I am, but the first thing I thought about reading about the guy showing his truck and then disappearing was he did so on purpose.

Now, there would be easier ways to end a relationship, or to remove yourself from your marriage. But, under the guise of a test drive and then disappearing would certainly be the least messy. Could explain why the cell phone was tossed, too. Of course, not sure if it's legal to just disappear leaving a wife and child behind in the lurch. At best, the guy would be a real jacka** for doing so. At least he'd be alive and supposedly unharmed.

SAABs....older sister (not the one who just bought the Acura) used to love those cars. I think the last one she had was a 9-5. Not sure the year, but probably early oughts? I think she had a couple of 900s at one point, too....one a turbo. Talk about turbo lag. You'd wait a second or two after pressing down on the accelerator when nothing happened. Then.....WHOOSH.......hang on to the steering wheel tight as you hit terminal velocity.

Last I saw, there was one SAAB dealership in this area. He closed up shop a couple of years ago, though. I know he had a tiny dealership across the street from my favorite food market. He had a big sign out front before he closed his doors that said something like....

"Any SAAB in stock 1/2 off MSRP." I still see the last ones SAAB put out. Not bad looking cars at all.

I think GM still has to cover their warranty don't they?
    I thought about reading about the guy showing his truck and then disappearing was he did so on purpose

GG, I don't think you were overly cynical at all in thinking the guy just wanted to find a way to escape. Especially these days, people have tried all kinds of ways to do that....there are still some people who made a new life after 9/11.

Just an update. One of the guys who came to test drive the truck had an unusual tattoo, it says "ambition" with a square box around it. He test drove another truck a few days before. They have caught that guy....hopefully he tells them something.

About Saabs, I test drove a 2008 convertible and it was a blast to drive. Nicely balanced too, great engineering. I ended up with the bmw though, for about $5000 more I got a hardtop convertible, RWD, up to the minute engineering, and a car that would hold it's value a lot better.

Since GM didn't have the money to put into Saab, I would research the reliability of a Saab before buying a used one.......but, they don't disappoint as far as being fun to drive.

OK....so a few months ago I had made reservations for a cruise on Norwegian for the (then) GF and me. Obviously, I'm now a "solo". Never done anything like this before (sailing solo), but since it was paid for, and cancelling would have cost at least a hefty portion of what I paid, I decided to go.

So, this cruise is sailing 3 weeks from today out of NYC. Because of several reasons, I can not fly into NYC until the day of the cruise. And, the earliest flight I can get (from any airport within a 100 mile radius) flies out of Cincinnati at 9:20 a.m. I land at LGA at 11:20 a.m. Not much in the way of leeway if something goes awry with the flight. Cruise leaves port at 4:00 p.m. I have to be aboard by 2:00 p.m.

So, I have fingers crossed that there are no flight delays, the weather is fine, that Delta actually has a flight crew that shows up on time, that they have enough ground crew to handle the take off and landing, that Delta doesn't come up with some excuse that makes no sense they can't take off on time, etc. I don't know how far the cruise terminals are from LGA. Let's say that I land on time. That my luggage is off-loaded quickly (Is LaGuardia pretty efficient? I have flown into JFK and Newark, but never LaGuardia), that taxis are plentiful and immediately available.

Is it realistic to think a have a good chance of making this sailing? Or am I being delusional?

I might be able to fly into NYC on the Saturday before. But, aside from the cost (~$300/night for a hotel in Manhattan for a place to sleep :surprise: ), I would really have to do some major work and personal shuffling to do so.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    The funny part was that Saabs of that time were much safer than Volvos, but nobody knew that.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Is this the S4 lady? Sorry to hear if it is but think you'll have a great time anyways. You can be yourself on the high seas and just enjoy yourself. Sometimes being alone for a spell kinda puts one's life into perspective. But am sorry if you are.

Have heard from folks that the Norwegian cruises are top notch and we are planning to do one next May, the calmest months down South here. I just hope the ships are "cane" friendly and that I don't get seasick, which has happened in the past. But I hear cruises are the best vacations bar none and the party starts the moment one gets on board! Can't wait to see if this is true!

sandman....you're right.

I have no issues going solo. Just want to make certain I don't literally "miss the boat" and the odds of actually flying to LGA, landing and deplaning on time, negotiating luggage retrieval, getting a ride to the pier, negotiating the pier's crowd and boarding by 1-2 p.m.
    I have no issues going solo. Just want to make certain I don't literally "miss the boat"...

From LaGuardia to the west side of Manhattan is about a 45 minute drive with no traffic. I believe you said the cruise is on a Sunday - so traffic should not be too bad. You'll probably go over to Manhattan.via the 59th St. Bridge (Queensborough Bridge) then straight west to the Hudson River. You should be OK. You have 2-1/2 hours at least to get from the airport to the west side, which is plenty of time on a Sunday.

2021 Genesis G90

What day of the week are you flying in?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Happy Mothers' Day to all the mothers, stepmothers, grandmothers and the men who play the role of mothers in the family.

A special shout-out to our endearing host Kirstie. Enjoy your day!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited May 2013
    For the dollars spent there is no better value than a cruise!

You will be bombarded with sales pitches however. They sell watches, have art auctions etc. They constantly take photos that you can buy if you so desire. The excursions they try to sell you at the various ports can be expensive too.

Now, you don't have to do any of these things but be aware that they do add up. Our last crusie was on Norwegian and a beer was 8.00.

They sell spa treatments and their casinos are a great place (trust me) to drop
    a few bucks in a hurry!

Also be aware that the prices for bar drinks INCLUDE a 15% gratituty even though there is a line to add another tip.

Norwegian was fine but we perfer Royal Caribbean. We wouldn't hesitate to
    take Norwegian again.

GG...man...if there is ANY way to get into NYC a day early, try to do it.

Just so many things that can happen, it's tough sweating it out.
This discussion has been closed.