Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    edited May 2013
    Laguardia is actually closer than JFK to Manhattan. I can't comment on how quick they are with luggage but there will be plenty of cabs.

I actually have gone to many Met games right out past the airport, and if traffic is not backed up (Sunday noon should be fine) you can actually get into manhattan quite quickly. Heck, I have made it home from there (just outside Philly) in less than 2 hours.

I assume the terminal is up around midtown on the westside? A few ways to get there, and I am sure the cabs know the best way to go.

also according to Mapquest, it is only about a 21 minute ride from Laguardia to the passenger terminal (57th street?)

and, if you do manage to work out to come in the night before, don't stay in Manhattan. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives out by the airport. or you could come into Newark and stay over on the Jersey side.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I have tried to convince my wife to try one at some point. She just is sure that she will just get sea sick.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Craig...I'm trying to figure a way to get in a day early.....for all the reasons things could go wrong (flight delays because of weather, and most likely, Delta incompetence, lost luggage, etc).

But, that's actually a last resort given meetings I have Saturday a.m. locally in OH (sailing Sunday out of NYC) that would be difficult to reschedule. Plus, staying in Manhattan the night before isn't exactly cost effective ($300/nite hotel, plus another $100-$200 for taxi/food)....even before I leave.

BTW...I do have travel insurance.

I like cruises....a lot. You get to go to exotic locales, and take all of your restaurants and hotel accomodations with you, while comfortably watching beautiful blue waters pass you by, and the weather is perfect.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    This is my greatest fear also thus we've never gone and we live so close to the ports here in South Florida but we're gonna take the plunge next May. Been told that's one of the calmest months on the water and it's just before hurricane season. Starting to get a bit excited about it as everyone says it's the best way to travel...great food and locales. We don't drink but I hear one can purchase a package that provides all the soft drinks one can handle for a set price...works for me. And the wife only usually drinks ice tea so we should be o k. Will invite the kids if they can get off as it would be fun to make it a family thing. Heck, I'll even treat them as they are awesome people!

So Stick, assure your wife that no one is more scared about getting sea sick but at some point, one has to live a little!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    IF everything goes well, you are still cutting it close. Traffic on Sunday afternoon (early) is a non issue. The airline, the luggage, the airport... Too many traveling X factors for me.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    . She just is sure that she will just get sea sick.

Not likely....the ships these days are pretty good...stabilizers. Sea sick...only if it breaks down or possibly if there is a major storm.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Too many traveling X factors for me

Most people have tight schedules. The Driver Method of travel says "I would rather be 4 hours early than 4 minutes late", but that is just me.

My wife and I always "discuss" this issue...she likes to have perfect precision timing. Once we were 4 hours early at Toronto Int'l Airport, she laughed at me, the lady at the parking lot laughed at me, then we got on the shuttle bus. Traffic was tied up for 2 hours because of a bomb scare at the airport. People were panicing that they were going to miss their flight. I could have walked faster than the bus was moving.

We got there with just one hour to spare, which is what we needed to get through the lines once people could actually get to the airport. Guess who was laughing then...and who mentions this whenever we go on a trip?

a package that provides all the soft drinks one can handle for a set price

You can buy a package for bottled water too. Or, you can just go to where the 24 hour buffet is going and get free soft drinks, ice tea, coffee, soft ice-cream and all the food you could possibly ever eat.

Most people love cruises, but, not for every one. Just depends on what you like to do on a vacation.

I subscribe to the Driver "be early" plan also. I hate worrying about problems, and am fine being way early and just hanging out relaxing. basically I think of every possible thing that can wrong, and allow time for all of them.

Years back, I had to go to Memphis a lot (from Philly) on business. There was only 1 airline that went direct (NW) and I think 2 flights per day. I normally went on the early flight (7:30 at first, then they seemed to keep creeping it forward).

And I still managed to get to the gate in time to board the flight before mine!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Growing up, we were always late as my mom never really cared about being on time. I hated this so once I moved out, I was always early everywhere as I hated when everyone would stare as we came into the room. My in laws were the same way as me, always early, and I made sure our kids knew that being late, anywhere, is unacceptable behavior! Always stressed that one should have a positive reputation, not a negative one...if folks are gonna talk about ya, and they will, make sure they can only say positive things in the first place.

We're even the kind that if we need to be somewhere we've never been locally, we do a test run to make sure we know where we're going and to check out the parking situation. Just to be on the safe side...and it always works for us. Sure, having gps capability is great but sometimes one needs to see the lay of the land in the first place.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    TMI dude - TEE EMM EYE!!

ROTFL

Best of luck with the surgery Mike.
    ROTFL

You wouldn't be doing that if you had that problem!

basically I think of every possible thing that can wrong, and allow time for all of them.

I like getting to the airport early too. I always have a good book with me and I enjoy people watching. Sometimes people are running for their flight or they call out names of people who are at the airport but aren't at the gate. Last time we were at the airport, they were calling for some guy who checked in but wasn't aboard his flight at take off time. They had to remove his luggage from the plane. He probably fell asleep or he didn't speak English.

Not sure about Caribean cruises but you don't want to miss your cruise ship in some countries. You will have to find a way to get to the next stop and you may not have your proper documents with you. This could happen if you were on a Baltic Cruise and going to St Petersburg.

Once we were in Naples and wanted to go to the Island of Capri. It would have been a tight schedule to try to make it back, and the hydrofoyle boat that brings you back is often sold out. It wasn't worth the risk....don't want to spend the rest of the vacation in Naples.

I just got this email today from Cruise Critic!

Special Offer: Cruises From $169 Plus Book Now And Pay Later - No Deposit Is Required

The only thing is, I can't find the cruise that is $169 to tell you where it goes, or how many hours it is out at sea..... :cry:

Sandy...May and June are indeed the calmest months. Today's ships are a far cry from the ones that "sway" in the waves. Some of the bad rap on cruiseing stems from those brekdowns we've read about from Carnival ships (I'm on Norwegian this trip). Carnival is more or less known for their cost cutting. The results are what we've read about...ship breakdowns, decline in service, poor judgement, etc (BTW, the Costa Concordia which is still stuck on a reef in Italy is owned by Carnival, too).

I figure it costs about $150/day to cruise. But, that includes all my food, all my entertainment, a nice cabin, all with breathtaking views and weather.

NYC....you've identified those things that might go wrong out of my control....Delta's gaffs, airport snafus, weather, etc.

I did book a limo to pick me up at the airport. Don't know if that's quicker than a taxi, or not. But, I figure the limo will be there waiting for me and I won't have to stand in some huge line at LGA to hail a taxi (if there is a line).

Still, you guys have got me paranoid about timing now.
    Enjoy your Becks....it goes down easy because it has that European feel of the stomach.

Driver, have you been taking stand up comedy courses? You've been funnier than usual. :shades:
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Back in my hectic travel days I used to get a picture in the back of my mind of me arriving or at baggage claim or climbing steps with my bags like in Rome.

I would go to a quiet place with a cup of coffee a few hours before the trip and let go of anxiety, look out on whatever the view and relax. I would get a fuzzy picture in the back of my mind and it would be at the other end of the trip I was about to take.

It became such a relaxing thing knowing I could go on autopilot and it would be fine. My wife would even ask "did you get the picture yet?" If so we could both relax and let it happen. It never failed even though I didn't always get the picture. But when I did, it worked like clockwork.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

I subscribe to the Driver "be early" plan also. I hate worrying about problems, and am fine being way early and just hanging out relaxing. basically I think of every possible thing that can wrong, and allow time for all of them.

Add me to the club too. I rather be waiting at the gate or lounge than sitting in the car/taxi/shuttle stressing out if I'm going to make it or not.
  • jsyodesjsyodes Member Posts: 21
    Mike,

Ask your doctor about Nucynta. I am also allergic to codeine, and that's what i was given after foot surgery. May not be strong enough for your situation though. link title

Hopefully this link works, or you can look it up on Wikipedia. Good luck.

Steve
    I did book a limo to pick me up at the airport. Don't know if that's quicker than a taxi, or not. But, I figure the limo will be there waiting for me and I won't have to stand in some huge line at LGA to hail a taxi (if there is a line).

Good luck. LGA always has a line for cabs.
    Cruise terminal is located at 711 12th Ave. I'm guestimating 20-30 minutes from LGA (on a Sunday around noon)? Am I off?

I'll get to CVG (Cincinnati International) about 90 minutes before take off.

Having traveled so much (Million Miler on both Delta and American), I'm quite aware of what can happen at the airport.

It seems a recent phenomena that everything will look to be on time, and once the airline has you in your seat, they (sometimes) announce there's some sort of crew, or gate, or plane issue, and keep you on the plane so you can't find another flight. That irritates me to no end.

The alternative is to fly in late (after my business meetings) Saturday night and pay $300 for a hotel, plus another $100 in cabs and restaurants just to compensate for Delta's possibility for being late. That's tough for me to swallow, too.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    edited May 2013
    United has a non-stop into Newark on Sunday mornings... from CVG..

Arrival 0844 UNITED 4693

Did you miss that one?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Fly into Newark on Saturday night, get a hotel for about $120 and then grab a cab to the terminal for about $80. Heck, try priceline for a hotel in the city - you might get very lucky and snag a bargain.
    Walt...thanks. Seems like United might be sold out on that flight, or they discountinued it. I couldn't find it.

Robr2...not a bad idea. I'll check it out.

Thanks to both of you.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Ask your doctor about Nucynta.

He wanted to give me oxycodone, but when he found out I was allergic to codeine, he said it would have to be morphine tablets because the pain will be extensive and acute for the first two days.

I have about 30 tablets, which should get me through the tough days, if not, he will order more.

I just don't believe I will be sufficiently capable of driving a couple of blocks on Thursday morning for an 11:30 AM appoints at my physical therapy place for an evaluation and therapy. What could they possibly do two days after shoulder surgery that I can tolerate? According to the videos I watched, it takes about 3-4 days before you feel like doing "anything", let alone drive a car a couple of blocks. I will have to see how I feel. If I can't make it, I just won't go.

I have to get up at 4:00 AM tomorrow morning to be ready for the pick-up at 5:30 AM. I bought 3 cardigan type shirts over the weekend because I will not be able to put anything over my head, etc. No undershirt either - just the shirt itself. Luckily, it's been warm here - expected to reach 83 degrees tomorrow.

Well, we'll see how things go.

2021 Genesis G90

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Thanks, man! I celebrated by chopping and lopping the overgrown hedges in the front yard, helping install a new kitchen faucet, removing a dead shrub and digging out the roots (HARD), and planting a few new items. I'm glad mother's day doesn't come around every weekend - I wouldn't last long!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You should be fine.

I usually call Shuttle Express to take me to the airpoprt but I've learned to NEVER tell them your flight number or when the flight is leaving.

they will try hard to get this info from you so THEY can decide what time to pick you up.

I did that ONCE and almost missed my flight. they do a "milk run" where they stop and pick up other people. Some of these people can take their sweet time
    answering the door, carrying their luggage, installing child seats etc.

I always tell them I don't have my flight information in front of me but I need a 7:00 AM (or whatever) pickup.

If I have an hour and a half to kill, that's fine with me!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    edited May 2013
    Your Hyundai debacle was referenced over in the A Mechanic's Life - Tales From Under the Hood topic- starting at post #2670.
    All I can say is, I can't believe that you didn't tell what REALLY happened.
    (sarcasm off)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    I didn't note your date... just searched for a random Sunday.. maybe sold out....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2013
    If they solved your problem you would have told 20 people Hyundai was a great company that fully stands behind their cars.

It all has to do with the culture and philosophy of that company. Some companies live off of replacement parts, (and making money off them), i.e. Chrysler. They also live off of bailouts every so often when it is time to pay the piper for losing so many customers over time. I understand Hyundai has received bailouts from their government similar to Chrysler for ours.

Some companies stand behind their product, such as Honda and Audi. They live for the longterm, and don't expect to be bailed out.

I love staying with companies I can trust, because one, the parts won't break down in the first place, and two, if they do, you can trust they will stand behind it.

I'm not exaggerating when I say the impression of the culture I got from the Dodge dealers was that of "your like the hundredth guy coming in this month for a faulty transmission, why should we cover it when you have to pay to make your car run right again. If we covered you, we'd have to cover everyone else, and we can't afford that, they almost all fail!

Whereas at Honda I got the impression they were embarrassed, that this transmission shouldn't have failed, that they don't fail, and that this should have never happened to you. Also, that we are confident your replacement transmission will last much longer (backed by warranty to boot).

Dodge dealer says "parts just break down."

Honda dealer says "we are overnighting a new transmission assembly the shop, and here's a free loaner rental car in the meantime."
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Cruise terminal is located at 711 12th Ave. I'm guestimating 20-30 minutes from LGA (on a Sunday around noon)? Am I off?

GG, I checked what people say on tripadvisor about getting from the airport to the cruise terminal.

The time you estimated sounds about right, 20 to 30 minutes.

Then one guy said it is impossible to estimate because there are about 5 million people between those two points.

It sounds like you would be ok, but, the unknown is your flight...will it be on time, somedays airlines have about a 20% on time rate.

A few people said, be sure to have the exact address of where you are going. I would say also, those cruise terminals can be very large and confusing, it would help if they can show you a map of how to get to your exact docking area.

Smart idea getting a limo.

Fly into Newark on Saturday night, get a hotel for about $120 and then grab a cab to the terminal for about $80

Great idea!

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Yeah jmonroe, we want the truth, the whole truth and nothing but... :mad:

Seriously though, why angry with dealership when no pay decision came from corporate?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    That's an easy one - sometimes having a dealership on your side makes the difference. If they didn't stand up for jmonroe and help him fight, when they were the ones who saw the engine, then they really didn't do all they could to help him.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Exactly! jmonroe is mad at the dealer AND Hyundai- they both took the easy way out and screwed him...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited May 2013
    How do you know the dealership didn't stand up for ole Jmonroe?

Maybe the dealership did all they could do. Not like they are going to tell Hyundai they'll stop selling their cars unless they give Monroe a new engine. Probably would have been nice for dealership to give a nice discount on a new engine to keep him as a customer.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Seriously though, why angry with dealership when no pay decision came from corporate?

A dealership has a tremendous amount of clout - especially a dealership that sells lots of cars each year. The dealership obviously did not "fight" for their customer (jmonroe). Even if corporate denied the claim, the dealership could do the repairs and necessary replacements at a minimal cost to the customer. I take jmonroe at his word - and his claim could have been approved with sufficient insistence by the dealership.

2021 Genesis G90

Most dealerships will at least give the impression that they did all they could. Don't know about how much "clout" dealership has. They buy the manufacturers cars, they have do what they are told.
    edited May 2013
    driver...well, it's the first flight out (at least to NYC) of the day and it's non-stop. So, there shouldn't be any problems with a connection being late, or waiting on a crew from another flight. Plane should be checked, fueled up and ready to go, too. First flight, on a Sunday, air traffic control shouldn't have any issues.

Once I get there, limo should be waiting on me. I'm taking two carry-ons, so baggage claim won't be an issue.

The one thing I can't control is the weather. But, I can check a day or two before to get at least a good guestimate on if that might cause a delay (if so, I'll take robr2's suggestion).

Thinking I'll roll the dice.
    edited May 2013
    How do you know the dealership didn't stand up for ole Jmonroe?

Because he mentioned it! I'm drawing on memory here, not guessing. While I'm not so hot at the first, I'm terrible at the second.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    " thinking I'll roll the dice"

Based on everything you've said I would too.

I was talking recently to a Holland America manager (they are based in Seattle) and he told me that it's real common for a passenger to get stranded in a port town. They don't keep track of the time, get drunk in a local bar or whatever and the ship sails without them!

It's up to them to either meet the ship in it's next town or just go home at their expense.

From what he told me,this happens pretty often!
    A dealership has a tremendous amount of clout - especially a dealership that sells lots of cars each year.

Yep. Back in 1995 when I ordered my limited edition Club Sport you could only get three options: premium sound, limited-slip diff, and a sunroof. I only wanted the sound upgrade and the limited slip. My salesperson sent the order in and a couple of days later BMW AG informed her that ALL Club Sports were now going to be built with sunroofs(a mandatory $1200 "option"). I told my salesperson that I didn't want the car if I had to take the hole in the roof. Well, it turns out that in 1995 that dealer(and my salesperson in particular) sold the highest number of M cars in the United States. My salesperson got on the horn to Munich and-lo and behold-my car was built without a sunroof...

What about all the dealerships that don't have all this "clout"? What are they to do? My experience has been that manufacturer goodwill aint what it use to be for mainstream automobiles.
    Yep. Back in 1995 when I ordered my limited edition Club Sport you could only get three options: premium sound, limited-slip diff, and a sunroof. I only wanted the sound upgrade and the limited slip.

When I ordered my 2014 E 350 Sport Sedan, I ordered it with wood/leather sport steering wheel and AMG sport wheels (wheel pkg.). Mercedes changed the order because they will not build the car with both wood/leather steering wheel and AMG wheel pkg. we didn't know this until the car came in.

The dealership contacted mbusa and the wheels were added ($500 option) along with the sport steering wheel (flat bottom steering wheel in wood) at no charge to me. Luckily, AutoNation sells 12% of all the Mercedes vehicles sold in this country - they have lots of clout - which made one of their best customers very happy.

Dealers have clout, and large dealer organizations have even more clout. ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    Thinking I'll roll the dice.

Late to the party here, but I think as long as you have no flight issues you will be fine. I've gone out of NYC twice it can get a little hectic around the terminal, but the limo should be able to drop you practically at the door. Like mentioned by the other guys, if you think weather will be an issue try and get into Newark the night before and stay there, much cheaper and easy to get car service. The terminal is a quick ride over the bridge from Jersey.

With as much a road warrior you are, I'm surprised you can't stay on points somewhere.

Are you on Breakaway to Bermuda? The wife and I were just thinking about a vacation this year even after saying we weren't. Let me know how you liked the ship. I've been on the Gem and really like NCL's product.

Everyone worried about seasickness, don't. If it gets rough Bonine will sooth you without any side effects. We were on the Gem during Hurricane Sandy and even with 40' waves we were OK.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc....I use my hotel points pretty regularly for weekend getaways. As such, the cupboard is baren of hotel points right now.

I am on the Breakaway.....brand spanking new ship. I think it just docked in NYC this week from its inaugural trip across the Atlantic from the shipyard.

We'll dock in Bermuda for 3 days, with another 4 days to get there and back from NYC.
    edited May 2013
    How's that clout? Mercedes sent the car without the wooden steering wheel, and your dealership put one on for you. As they should because that's what was promised to you. No clout on that.

Also, Mercedes is a tad bit more upscale than Hyundai if you haven't noticed. No realistic comparison on that.
    How's that clout? Mercedes sent the car without the wooden steering wheel...

Actually, without the AMG Sport wheels. I would think that if I ordered a Hyundai from Korea and it came in without an option that I ordered, I would expect Hyundai to remedy the problem as well. Or for that matter, Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, etc. And, I would also expect the dealer to expedite the correction with the manufacturer. I don't think I am expecting too much.

2021 Genesis G90

It has been one week since that fellow took 2 guys out for a test drive in his 2007 Dodge Ram pickup truck. He placed an ad on Kijiji (like Craigslist) and Auto Trader.

He went with the 2 guys and he told his wife he would be back in a few minutes. That was last Monday evening.

This morning the police announced the missing man's body was found. People who know about this story will really think about how they sell things online.

I would think that if I ordered a Hyundai from Korea and it came in without an option that I ordered, I would expect Hyundai to remedy the problem

I think if it is in the contract the dealer better do something about it. Those changes on your car may have made it a losing proposition for the dealer, on what was a pretty skinny deal to begin with.

Did you get a flat bottom steering wheel? I love those things. Makes sense too, much more knee room I would think.

This discussion has been closed.