Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    One thing I've also noticed is that Wrangler owners are extremely happy with their Jeeps! Just look at your son, Verdugo, & Roadburner as a small sample size;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    our 2013 CRV has more than enough power.

I was reading a long term test of a new CRV (here on Edmunds, I think ?), and they referred to the CRV as a "gutless wonder". Mind you, I haven't driven one myself, so I would not offer a personal opinion.

On the subject of pricing for an Escape, I purchased a 2005 Mazda Tribute (which is an Escape, for those who don't know) brand new for $14,995. This didn't have leather seats or sunroof, but it did have the V6 engine, automatic transmission, nice wheels, A/C, power windows and locks -- everything I really need. Amazing to read of $38k prices these days. Of course, the Explorer's run well up into the $40's, and I remember clearly Explorers being cheap vehicles. Maybe I'm just too old...
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I'm not loyal to any one car model, nor any one manufacturer.

That said, just talking to people who own them, Hondas seem to have some of the most loyal buyers....repeat buyers, I've ever run across.

I have a business colleague who has an Accord (not sure of the year, but it's at least 14-15 years old) that he refuses to get rid of, even though he doesn't need it. I know it's either approaching 200K miles, or has surpassed it, he drives on occasion (usually to pick me up at the airport). He has another Accord, probably 3-4 years old he drives regularly. And, he just bought his wife one of the newer ones with the slick headlights. His daughter has a Civic and his son has one of those old "Del Sols". He won't even wander past a different brands show room.

I have a pretty good idea of his annual salary. If I were a betting man, I'd say he could easily afford a Mercedes S Class or an Audi A7. He just LOVES his Hondas, though.

He thinks I'm from another planet with the variety of cars I've driven over the years.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited August 2013
    Although Chevy has sold some 11,600 Volts this year, up 9.2% from 2012, apparently that volume isn't good enough as Chevy has slashed $5,000 off the sticker. With the $7,500 tax credit, that brings the Volt down to a net price of $27,495. Nice, but that enough to make Volt a best seller?

The problem with the Volt is not necessarily its high price but the paltry driving range of only 38 miles on battery power alone--that's no different from a typical hybrid. Such a result is not compelling enough to draw in buyers in the quantity to make this car a success.

At this "relatively low price," is a Volt on your radar?
  • gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "Personally I don't need a turbo. They can be troublesome and I think our CRV has adequate power without the complexity of a turbo.

BLIS - Would he helpful I suppose but I have somehow managed without it.

Sync - I've heard it's complicated. I'm neither a "younger" or a tecno and I don't feel like learning something I don't care about.

Power liftgate...Seems like a trouble prone gimmick but cool at the same time."

Isell pretty much sums up my feelings. I had mentioned waiting to see if Honda adds "BLIS" on their next model update for the CRV to make it equivalent to the mid-trim Mazda CX5. Most of these new integrated systems like Sync seem to create too many sub-menus and other distractions for my taste. I do like having an ipod dock, but even the lousy interface on the Scion takes far too many adjustments--all of which takes the driver's eyes from the road.

I think it's fine for those who want it, though. I'm not bashing Ford for charging what the "market will bear", but I remember folks writing on this forum a couple of years ago who were horrified that the Rav4 had gotten to $30K. I have the unfortunate desire to want some of tomorrow's technology advances while paying yesterday's prices.

Gogiboy
    I just caught a radio program that was addressing the popularity of Jeeps and specifically the Wrangler despite it's fairly high cost. Although only something like 5% of owners actually take them off road owners like the idea that they could take it off road. The bottom line: Buyers just like Jeeps and like what they think owning a jeep says about them. Duh... couldn't the same observation be made of a number of cars, like, say, a Prius.

Gogiboy
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The problem with the Volt is not necessarily its high price but the paltry driving range of only 38 miles on battery power alone--that's no different from a typical hybrid.

The "typical" hybrid electric only range - the Prius Plug In - is only 11 miles so IMHO, the Volt does a much better job albeit at a higher price.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/02/04/chevy-volt-versus-prius-plug-in-versus-ford-- cmax-energi/

With the price cut, the Volt will be within $2K of the Prius Plug In. The article linked about also says the Volt is eligible for a $7500 rebate but the Prius only $2500 - IDK if that's correct but if it is, the Volt is now less expensive.
    "I have a pretty good idea of his annual salary. If I were a betting man, I'd say he could easily afford a Mercedes S Class or an Audi A7. He just LOVES his Hondas, though."

GG--

Your friend sounds just like my father. He always had the cheapest car in the parking garage next to his employer. He's 84 now, retired and drives a 2000 Toyota Corolla. I would say he loves it, but he has no passion for automobiles and little incentive to move to something newer based on his current driving habits. Last year he and my mom replaced her aging 97 Accord after the brakes failed. It needed a brake master cylinder and maybe a few other brake related items that were easily fixable, especially for a car with under 50K! My mom had lost faith in it, though. Their replacement car was a new mid-line Camry (it had power seats, which was an amazing splurge). Of course, he would never visit a site like this in a million years. Given my upbringing I'm not sure why my two brothers and I are much more passionate about cars.

Gogiboy
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    OK, guys, I'm back and with another story of woe but on the mend again. I'm not sure where I let off but here's where I've been. Just as the doc had set me up to every six week checkups I got exposed to Epstein Barr. My old immune system had this which it what caused all my autoimmune system issues earlier - inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, you name it. When I tell the doc on the phone that I had a swollen gland she told me to come up that day! Horrible trip up with traffic and didn't get to the hospital until 7 but doc and my nurse practitioner stayed and waited for me.

She ordered a PET scan of the lymph node involved and started a treatment assuming the least bad thing it could be which is is Epstein Barr lymphoma. Both the scan and the treatment were on different days so I've been up there a lot. Well the scan didn't look good to her so she ordered a biopsy which ended up not agreeing with the scan so they put me in for surgery (only my second ever, the first being to put in a port to save my poor veins) and grabbed the node. Indeed it came up with the least bad thing and treatment resumed - infusions that you just have to live with for a couple of hours.

The good new is that the Epstein Barr is gone. The bad new is they had to Kill all my B cells to do it. The new ones that grow will be free of the virus. I now now have a nice Frankenstein scar on my neck which they assure me will fade away and indeed looks better already.

The effect of my psyche is another story. Like with the first complication it sets healing way back. An expected one year recovery into two and put a llot of restrictions back. My brain is still reprogramming itself from the first complication which did cause a traumatic brain injury. It's really nuts.

That said the only two other people that had this transplant for this condition died which puts things in perspective. I will fully recover but it will take lots longer than anticipated.

I have just now graduated from having to go to ine Sloan location or another (the PET scan and and a couple of the weekly blood tests were done at their NJ facility) every week to twice every three weeks. Stay tuned.

That said, I feel fine. Just tired. Most my my counts are fantastic so once I have the B cells back and the T cells come up to a good level (which they only get when they do marrow tests that are no fun) they can start the end game which will result in me being considered fully recovered.

Onto a car related subject a friend I met at Hope Lodge is going to replace the brake pads on my Mazda and change the brake fluid. He may put in the low beam Nightbreakers that the mechanic was supposed to do but only did the high beams which are fantastic but the low beams are what I really need. Next thing you know I'll be asking for performance chips... He lives three hours away but even if all we were doing was having lunch together is worth the trip. His name is, appropriately, Angel.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    on my Mazda and change the brake fluid. He may put in the low beam Nightbreakers

First thing, welcome back as usual and don't feel all alone out there. My doctor found, two months ago, that part of my tired and overweight problems are from diabetes. Now I have to shoot myself in the stomach once a week with bidureon and test glucose daily. Fortunately I run a 117 average so I'm not bad, but at least he didn't put me on heavy BP meds which I hate. He said I'd lose weight which I have. Now if I can cut down on the hot sauce I have a chance.

Second thing, what happened to the Solara? Mine had HID from the factory and it was a 2006 SLE. ps no tickets yet in the Mustang and still looking to trade for a F-150 Platinum. Dealer just ran a TV ad $10k off on leftover 2013s. Did they call me? No. They'll wait for the 2014s and tell me what a great deal MSRP is. Grrrr. I may have dough, but I didn't while growing up, that's the part dealers don't get.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Second thing, what happened to the Solara?

They ran out of middle aged women to sell them to.

:P
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    "...$123.00..."

And the winner @ $120.00 is......... ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,301
    Fezo,
    Good to hear from you. Your recovery isn't a straight line, but it's a recovery, which is good.
    If you are bored looking for some entertainment, you can head over to Mid Size Sedans.

Mako,
    I saw you were quoted in a story link on the main Yahoo page yesterday.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    As a middle-aged woman, I resent that! I like the Solara. I just don't like being type-cast. :P

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yeah, what she said. I liked my Solara even though my buddy's son called it a "chick car" It was so comfortable on my back after the 4Runner.

"...11,600 Volts..."

Weren't a lot of those sold to the government? The Volt is, to me, a nice looking car but just the thought that it was built to further a political agenda leaves me cold.

I don't get the economics either.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Mako,
    I saw you were quoted in a story link on the main Yahoo page yesterday.

I have so many pages up looking for it my computer froze up.
    Got a link?

edited August 2013
    "...still looking to trade..."

Trade away the 'Stang? What heresy Is this? Saw a white convertible today and immediately thought of yours. Looked nice.

oldfarmer, ever heard the southern expression "if you're scared...say you're scared" ?
    Well, I'm not scared of the car or my abilities to control the HP, but scared of what a 3 digit speeding ticket will get me. Here, over 80 can be reckless driving and not much over that is a night in the slammer which scares me.

edited August 2013
    Yahoo only goes back less than a day.
    I'd do a search on your name.
    Would have done that, but can't remember exactly what it is.
    I just saw your post about speeding in VA. My BIL got one there going 85.
    Pretty sure the fine was about a grand.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    a JK Wrangler Rubicon with the high-zoot sound system and heated seats...

I love those heated seats when we go skiing. And the cloth seats don't get hot like leather seats during our 100F days.
    Once the women who have a CR-V take a ride with the women who have an Escape with the push button start and figure out that the Escape owner didn't have to fish the key out of their pocketbook to start the car, they are going to be really wanting that feature.
    I could go on, but you are pretty much toast on this one item.
    Sales figures show there are plenty of buyers that like such features.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    my wife's RDX has the push button start/comfort entry, and she is addicted to it. There is not a chance in the world I could get her into another car (is something happened to the Acura) that did not have it. You would understand if you saw how much stuff she had crammed into her purse.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    my wife's RDX has the push button start/comfort entry, and she is addicted to it.

I don't think I'm addicted to my KEYLESS GO feature in the E350 (keyless entry/start/stop/lock), but it's a great feature to have when you have your keys buried in your pocket/purse and it it raining or snowing. Could I live without it if I had to? Of course - just like I could live without my NAV or SAT radio or air-conditioned seats. But I could never give up my 14 speaker Harman/Karmin audio system. I guess we all have our "gotta haves" on our cars.

2021 Genesis G90

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited August 2013
    I'm toast because I think a trivial option is of no value to most people?

If you are correct, I'm sure CRV's will have this "wonderful important feature" in the years to come.

I'll have to pay another 200.00 for something I think is a joke.
    Women are a big factor in the design and marketing of new vehicles.
    You just have to face the fact that us guys are now in the minority.
    the entire CR-V is designed for women only. Men were never considered.

Yes you did, explorer. Thanks

Used Unlimited '12 prices are crazy close to pricing of new 2013s. I think I could do a Sport S with a few options and keep the MSRP under $35K.

http://treadlightly.org/join/individual/

If you become a member for $100, you can get Affiliate Rewards Program Preferred Price (1% below factory invoice.)

That's what I did when I bought my Wrangler, but I have access to that program through work. No need to haggle, play games, etc. (unless you have a trade in of course.) It even works on factory orders.
    One thing I've also noticed is that Wrangler owners are extremely happy with their Jeeps! Just look at your son, Verdugo, & Roadburner as a small sample size;)

Guilty as charged. :shades:
    "the entire CR-V is designed for women only. Men were never considered"

Hey, HEY Where do you get that??

I lot of us guys drive CRV's! Not like a Beetle Convertible!
    "...ever heard the southern expression..."

LOL! There's a northern expression which goes: "she's beautiful enough to go to jail over" which I think of when I dream of putting the hammer down on a hot car.

I understand your sentiments though. With the new revenue policy of having a cop behind every bush it's tough to enjoy a fast car's potential. :cry:

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    I've also noticed is that Wrangler owners are extremely happy with their Jeeps

Forget the Wrangler, you need a Watercar!

Watercar - powered by Honda

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    I just saw your post about speeding in VA. My BIL got one there going 85.
    Pretty sure the fine was about a grand.

I was lucky, I got off with $200 going 96 in Tennessee!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited August 2013
    Yes you did, explorer. Thanks

Nice article. And the article reaffirmed what I have been saying for a long time. Auto makers spend billions of dollars in advertising to attract Gen Y buyers when in fact Baby Boomers are the ones with the money and ability to buy cars.

I am glad Toyota, with its Venza, is targeting the boomer crowd but not so with its new Avalon, which is aimed at Gen X. Many boomers find the bass-mouth front grill and the taut suspension of the Avalon off-putting.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/video/auto-mania-strike-baby-boomers-IUw0fc6~SeelOAL3N1- mIig.html
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    fezo...great to hear from you. We know you're fighting the good fight. You're not alone...we're all here thinking of you.

gogiboy....it seems Honda and Toyota lovers have garnered the kind of brand loyalty that used to be Chevrolet's and Ford's bread and butter.

Regarding the Volt, I think GM is trying to get some marketshare. While intrigued by it, and really finding it quite pleasing when I've seen one, or sat in one at the car shows, I'm not a Volt kind of guy.

That said, they're now pricing it where a whole lot of people will probably consider it.

I think the economics of it can be seen in the average miles between fill-ups...which is 900 miles.....or about 3X what my average miles are between fillups.

Aside from what I've seen when traveling on either coast, I finally saw the first public charging stations anywhere near me (and they were still 20 miles away) at a local shopping area. They're in the parking lot. Don't know if they charge money to charge with juice, but they're there. I would think that once there are more charging stations, you could go a long, long time before you'd have to fill up a Volt with petro.

With Tesla gaining traction, GM expanding the Volt's technology to other models, Nissan Leaf's relative popularity, and the likes of BMW, Fiat, etc planning electric offerings, it's clear where the auto industry is going.

Personally, as much as I despise "big oil" and their decades of price manipulation, I'll eventually embrace an electric car.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited August 2013
    So I was the next happy BMW driver due for tire change. The car hit 25K on the dot and my rears are gone. The wear on them is a bit strange - center treads were completely worn, while side treads still looked like had three or four 32nds, which was why I didn't notice the rears were due for couple of months already and I admit I felt it in the steering wheel during rains (which is every day afternoon in last month, BTW). The tire store guy said it's a typical German car wear pattern, as they supposedly have camber set in such way to produce center wear faster. The fronts still looked like had some life in them, but I went for all four. I keep those two fronts in the garage, just in case though.

I have mixed size (225 front, 255 rear), part of sports package, which greatly narrowed my choices in already narrow world of run flat tires. Those rears are only something like six-seven models, from which all but one are summer tires. All but one or two had wear index 180-200, which meant they wouldn't last even those 25K I got from the OEM.

Yes, I decided to give another chance to the RFTs. The OEM Contis (SportContact 2) summer tires were generally fine, a bit noisy, but too outrageous. The traction was great, but I really wanted a bit better longevity, even at small cost of traction. Bridgestones Potenzas 960 AS are praised at Tire Rack by their tests as really good non-OEM all-season performance runflats, seems it is what I look for. They even come with 40K tread warranty, I woun't get it though, as I can't rotate them (warranty is cut in half), but it's an indication that there is hope they'll last a bit longer than those Contis. I got them in Costco for $950, including all installation and taxes, after $70 rebate. They even put Nitrogen in them and I get road hazard coverage included, all in the original price that is already lower than anybody else (hopefully will never find out how the road hazard it works on runflats). Real bargain (relative of course) - a regular tire store had them for over $1200 when all included, 10% off the list price. Tirerack wanted $940 plus shipping (there goes $1000) and I would still have to pay installation, probably around $100 or so. My dealer didn't even have those, as they're not OEM, I'd have to buy those Contis again and the whole thing would turn into $1600-$1800 event, as those guys beside outrageous price for parts and labor, would also insist on their "bargain" $200 alignment, too.

Go Costco!

I like those new Potenzas. They are really smooth in terms of the ride and also fairly quiet. It is never fair to compare old and worn outgoing tire with brand new one. The OEM Contis were not that noisy early on, and even later the decibels were added, but not as much as many others complain. I still think those Potenzas are less noisy overall, hopefully stay that way. There may be be a price of slight loss of extreme traction, but I'm OK with that - it doesn't seem that significant. If those tires were to last 35K rather than 25K, it would make ma a happy man. Will see.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    Hang in there, my friend- we'll keep sending prayers your way. If anyone can whip this YOU can!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Well, I'm not scared of the car or my abilities to control the HP, but scared of what a 3 digit speeding ticket will get me. Here, over 80 can be reckless driving and not much over that is a night in the slammer which scares me.

I have to watch myself in the Mazda; I was ripping up an entrance ramp and merged on to the interstate next to a LEO going @25 over. Luckily he was preoccupied with something else as he ignored me and made a u-turn at the next break in the median...
    Whew...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I love those heated seats when we go skiing. And the cloth seats don't get hot like leather seats during our 100F days.

I like the cloth seats as well- especially in the summer.

Thanks, guys.

The Solara still lives. My wife mostly drives it but sometimes we swap. Heck, that car only has 66K on it. It's hardly broken in. The Mazda has around 85K. The Solara is fun half of the year. I once had a Sebring like that. With the top down it was fabulous. With the top up it was a pretty average car. The Solara is better than that and if you shift your gears manually can fly but it will never really handle.

Keep those prayer a 'comin! It's a long road but I think we're closer to the end (recovery that is) than the beginning. A lot closer.

rb - the Nightbreakers are great. Can't wait until we get the low beams in....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited August 2013
    "Gutless wonder" Haven't heard that term in awhile.

We have owned all four generations of CRV's and although they don't smoke the tires off the line they have been more than adequate. Each new generation has been more powerful, smoother and quieter than the series before it.

Back in my street racing days, I had a GTO a 409 Impala and a couple of Rivieras that would light up the rear tires for a solid block.

I guess I got it out of my system then and I had the tickets to show for those misspent years of my life.

It was fun growing up (?) in Southern Californai!
    Oh, and BTW - the fundraiser they did last year really helped but these new trips have nearly exhausted it. I'll take a paypal from anyone.....

And of course my daughter decides to get married next year...
    oh, not saying men can't drive it. Just that it was designed specifically for women. Same as with a minivan. Where to put a purse is not usually high on a man's priority list!

Keep plugging. more fund raisers can't hurt either.

the wedding? I think everyone should elope to Vegas and get married in an Elvis chapel. And yes, I have a daughter too.

I figure if I can get her through college, she can handle getting married!

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Tomorrow morning I get to find out if it is more difficult to obtain a Florida Driver's License Renewal than to orbit Mars without a spaceship.

I have a new certified birth certificate, a new Social Security Card, my voter registration card, title to my car, Quit Claim Deed to the Condo, several recently mailed bills and insurance payment vouchers, my parent's marriage certificate, my mother's death certificate, just to name a few. Soon we shall know!

2021 Genesis G90

Wow! Thanks Verdugo! It only requires you enroll 30 days before to qualify as well. Sounds like a good deal to me. I like how it says 1% below factory invoice and not 1% below dealer invoice.

My BMWCCA membership has saved me over $1000 since I've become a member. I got a $500 rebate check when we leased my wife's X3 back in 2007 & another $500 rebate check when I leased my 328xi last March.

I has also saved me on parts as well. My wife backed into a high rock wall while attempting to maneuver in someone's driveway and cracked one of the tail lights. I called a few parts departments asking for prices, once I found the one with the lowest price (maybe $84 plus tax), I asked if they gave CCA discounts. $75 all together for an entire tail light assembly including bulbs. It literally took me 10 minutes to take out the old and install the new (and I AM NOT mechanically inclined).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

;)

edited August 2013
    RIP: The man who brought America the E36 M3

Bob was truly a great guy- and I was blessed to know him as a friend. I have fond memories of Bob; he once gave my wife and I a guided tour of Chicago in his E30 M3- in the middle of January no less. When the entire family flew up to Chicago to pick up my new 318ti Club Sport, Bob once again welcomed us to his home. Knowing I was a committed collector(AKA hoarder) of BMW literature, he gave me a large box of press kits and brochures that he had collected in his travels. He was a most decent and gracious man; Godspeed, Bob.

This discussion has been closed.