Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    When Driver sees that video, he will be in tears for a week! Any idea why the men did that to a new car? The comments didn't seem to give a clue.

Richard
    There's nothing like some good research to keep one out of trouble.

Richard
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    mako....good info. Never thought about running a VIN on Google.

I tried the Google search but you have to pay $29. I guess internet operators have figured out how to monetize practically everything. No more freebies.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited September 2013
    "...just a heads up..."

Yikes! I typed my car's vin into google and got two sites that offered reports for a fee. I did a Carfax before I bought and confirmed that it spent most of it's life in Florida and unless the seller tampered with the odometer before he registered it in his name in NY, the milage checks out. Impossible to tell if it was owned by his grandma like he claims.

One thing for sure, few people sell a car because it was running TOO good. I expect to find a few surprises once I put it on the road. Hopefully, not as severe as your truck. I'm shocked that a dealer would try that kind of con job.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    edited September 2013
    not as severe as your truck

I didn't hit the reserve so I'm out. Sometimes you get good info, sometimes not, but it is worth a shot as Google is still free. The Manheim report saved my butt. Buying used is always a shot in the dark. Especially buying long distance.

I forget, how did you transport your car?

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Richard....from what I can gather from the site I "stole" that video from (bimmerfest.con), the owner of that BMW was so fed up with it being so unreliable, he and a friend took an ax and a sledge hammer to it.

Not something that I would recommend, given each ax/sledge hammer hit probably cost him $1K off the value of the car. Not sure BMW would actualy do anything to appease him, since he's trashing the brand by putting the video on youtube.

I suppose there was a level of frustration that was relieved, however.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    It was an expensive way to oppose a brand and bring public attention to the issue. Still, as you say, I'm sure that he received some psychological relief.

Richard
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    It reminded me of a 2 year old throwing a temper tantrum.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited September 2013
    Nah, it was available for free as of yesterday. You just have to know which links to click on. Took me awhile to find it, as it wasn't at all obvious. Worth the time for an interested buyer, though.
    You can see it has issues

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yep, that's the report and that is why the sale is off.

Wasn't that hard to find. Just a little digging with the keyboard.

edited September 2013
    I know at least two people on this thread (*Driver and *Richard) are dog lovers. Puppies I like but usually not grown dogs--until yesterday.

Here was this humongous dog that I ever saw. It was a Leonberger. You can tell I am not a dog lover as I had never heard of or seen this breed before. The owner says it weighs about 160 pounds and it is very good with children. Only downside it sheds a lot.

The name Leonberger is befitting this breed because it looks like a lion. Big, broad shoulders, a heavy mane, and a beautiful black and shiny gold coat. Wow! what a beautiful animal? I wonder what the purchase price and daily upkeep cost is on this specimen?

Any Leonberger owners with a story to share? We’re waiting.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I ran into a woman on a hike last summer with one of those beasts.

She said they are extremely smart and protective. She said they love children and will protect them.

Incredible dogs but if you have to ask about purchase price and upkeep costs, you are probably on the wrong dog.

Kinda like worrying about fuel economy on a motorhome or maintenance costs on a Ferrari.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Last night, I received a notice on my iPhone that there was a new update for the IOS Apple Operating System for the 4, 4S and 5 phones. So, like I usually do, I updated the IOS via WiFi. That was 24 hours ago and after spending 5 hours on the phone (landline of course - mobile phone totally crashed) and another 6 hours re-downloading IOS 7 compatible Apps, refownloading all my music from iTunes, and resetting all my user names and passwords, I am just now able to use the phone.

Has anyone had similar problems with their iPhone? Apple tech support told me that they have had thousands and thousands of calls with similar problems.

What compounded the problem was that the iTunes software was also updated for computers and I lost all my backups. Luckily, I had an older backup on iCloud and some wifi passwords were able to be recaptured.

What a day!

2021 Genesis G90

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    edited September 2013
    Whenever there is a new ios update, I'll give it a few weeks before considering downloading. With most of the major updates, there always seems to be initial problems until a revision gets out.

But, hey, my friends tell me I'm too cautious in life, so what do I know?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Congrats on the new wheels.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I tried mine and got a no results. Does that mean my car doesn't exist?

I did the update to my iPhone yesterday morning. Other than I thought it took too much time I had no issues with it. I back it up to my computer prior to updating just in case but didn't need it.

So far only two problems, first is that one app doesn't work with it but I expect an update soon. Second is that I really don't like the look of the interface. Other than that everything worked fine after the update, didn't have to re-download anything.

"...how did you transport your car?..."

Someone did that for me. It was a local sale. That was the main reason I couldn't resist: low milage, rust free Florida car right at my door step. My fantasy.

The other day I noticed a woman at work driving a newish F-150 with a temp Florida tag. It turns out she was shopping on line and clicked a link for "Metro Ford". She asked for a salesman she knew and was told "never heard of him".

Upon further discussion she found out she had contacted Metro Ford in Florida, not upstate NY. Long story short, she found a truck on their lot she liked and bought it. The dealer shipped it right to her door for a $800 transport fee.

I have to sit down with her and hear all the logistical details but at least you know the cost to move a car from Florida. Might be cheaper for you since you're closer.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited September 2013
    "...being so unreliable..."

Years ago there was a story on the CBS evening news about a guy who set fire to his Pontiac Fiero on the lawn of the GM plant. Horrible publicity which lead to the death of that car. GM would have been better off giving him a dozen new ones to shut him up.

"...it has issues..."

That looks like a paid inspection report. Usually you have to pay $100 to have someone conduct one of those. Where did it come from?

I'm looking for the 'confused' emotorcon here.

"...a Leonberger..."

Never heard of it either. Get a mutt at the pound. Cheaper and fewer health issues.

Horrible publicity which lead to the death of that car.

I really don't think that had anything to do with it, the fact that the Fiero was the biggest POS was enough. I knew one guy that had one he had 60K on it when GM put in the third engine.

Also I can't think of anyone I hate enough to give them a dozen Fieros.

"...third engine..."

Didn't the Fireo have the 2.8L engine? I had a 2.8 in my 84 Celebrity and it ran fine even though I blew it up at 102k by letting the coolant get low (warped head).

At first Fieros had a 2.5L 4 banger, the 2.8L 6 cylinder came out in later years. IIRC there was an issue with the oil in the 2.5 that caused oil loss and then a loss of a rod. At times a fire would occur.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    edited September 2013
    The Fiero was a vintage '80s GM engineering job in which the first few years of customers served as beta testers. The 1988 GT was a pretty decent little sports coupe but the crap can early cars had already poisoned the pond for the much improved later models.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

"...customers served as beta testers..."

Hard to imagine a company like that went bust.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Mike...I had heard there were some downloads that took hours. I didn't have any such issues, on any of my devices (iTunes on my MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone5). The downloads on all of them took maybe 5 minutes, max. Then again, I had them all plugged in and running on my home wifi for the downloads.

I really like the new iOS. It really is like getting a new computer, iPad, iPhone.

Plus, I can finally BLOCK all the unwanted texts and calls on my iPhone. No more green coffee bean texts, or unsolicited phone calls about lowering credit card rates, or calls from certain individuals I'd rather not hear from any more. I can block them all with the new iPhone update. That by itself is worth the download.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Mike...I had heard there were some downloads that took hours

You said you were plugged in - that was the problem with my download. I was not plugged in - downloaded it from WiFi - which was my mistake. At least I learned my lesson.

Then, when I tried to backup my IPhone, it just didn't take because they had just also issued an update to ITunes - thus, I was in "double-trouble" if you know what I mean.

From now on, whenever there is an update for anything, I am going to make sure I connect to ITunes before downloading. WiFi messed it up for me.

2021 Genesis G90

When I downloaded it it took about 40-45 minutes. But that was half wifi and half cellular. That's because I started it at home thinking it wouldn't take so long. But it took longer than I thought and I had to get going to work.

One thing that likely caused long downloads is how many people do it when you art doing it. Their servers could have been overloaded.

Downloading the new iTunes wasn't an issue, just don't like that interface either.

The Leonberger is a beautiful, wonderful dog. They cost from $1,500-$2,000 usually. There is a breeder here in North Carolina. Upkeep is expensive because they require a lot of grooming. Unfortunately, longevity is not on their side----8 or 9 years. There is no better dog for children or adults because Leonbergers are so patient and loyal. Because of their large size, you'll want to do your training early.

Richard
    Unfortunately, longevity is not on their side----8 or 9 years.

Richard, yes the Leonberger is a beautiful animal, but I wonder why its life expectancy is so short? Is it because of its large size or too much inbreeding. It's a shame to make such a large investment for such a short payback.
    I'm told that they have skeletal issues due to their size----lots of issues with their limbs. Then again, the 8 or 9 years is an average. I'm sure that many of them live longer. Also, they don't take to strict or harsh training. They prefer trainers who are both calm and patient. Because of their size, good training is a must. It would be very difficult, for example, to walk this 170 pound dog if it didn't heel well or respond to commands. They also prefer cooler climates due to their heavy coats. I knew someone here who had one. With our summers being so hot, I always felt sorry for that dog. The lady had to walk him very early in the morning before it got so hot.

I certainly don't mean to diminish the possibility of purchasing this animal. They would be wonderful pets. Many people just don't realize what is involved in owning a dog. Maintaining a healthy diet, good grooming, training, and medical checkups can be expensive and time consuming. It is a large responsibility similar to that of having a child. On the other hand, it is so worth it in terms of the unconditional love and companionship that is offered to the owner. Remember, your dog can't talk but you must provide for him as though he did. If you don't have a dog, but are physically able to adopt one, I strongly recommend it. I'm big on rescue dogs. They need and want a home. What a great way to make a life a happy one.

Richard
  • charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55
    edited September 2013
    ebay member writes (still current auction today) "The car was involved in light accident and it was fixed and inspected. Highest Offer /Bid Wins This Beautiful vehicle."

found the car at http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.info/salvage/for-sale-subaru-forester-2008-Mjc4- - - - - - - OTI1NzI

[IMG]http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20121115/27892572_2X.JPG[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20121115/27892572_1X.JPG[/IMG]

says the car has rebuilt title but no nys inspection sticker on window. hubby said ebay pics showed one new and one old headlight but gold color looked so pretty. ioo this was more than "slight accident". In your opinion is damage slight?

maybe saved us a ton of hartache. I want that color so thanks mako1a! been looking for a decent used subaru for past months. maybe you saved me and hubby a ton
    edited September 2013
    Trying to keep up with oldfarmer, I finally bought a truck. Not a new one and I still have the Mustang. I like it so far. Everything works, runs fine. Even has XM still working. It's a 2006 Chevy Silverado 4X4 LT 2500 HD. Mileage is pitiful, but at about 5k miles/year I don't care. Still can't load pictures. Oh well.

You're welcome charles guy (girl). That should buff right out. j/k

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Certainly nice having you back.

When you have time, it'd be good to hear some of what went on during your haitus.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    "...has rebuilt title but no NYS inspection sticker..."

Am I missing something? The ad says the car is in New Britain CT. Why would it have a NY inspection sticker?

IIRC, in NY when a car is rebuilt it has to undergo a special inspection to insure roadworthyness. This is different from the annual safety inspection. Does this car have such a certificate? If not it can't be registered in NY.

"...still have the Mustang..."

That'a boy!

What did you say your goal was, one fast car, one luxury car, a truck and the wife's car? That's pretty much my dream too.

You're almost there.

You're buying a junk salvage titled car because you like the COLOR?

Make sure your insurance company will insure it and just know that it wil be near impossible to resell down the road.

Me? I wouldn't even think about it!
  • vservser Member Posts: 48
    Hi. On the fence between a fusion and accord. What's your take on the fusion? Any issues yet? Recalls? Thx!
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    My wife and I rescued a dog 3 months ago - she is a Golden Retriever/Border Collie Mix, about a year or so old. The sweetest personality you can imagine - I cringe to think about where she came from and how she got there (a high kill shelter in Nevada).
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    "...between a Fusion and Accord..."

New I would go with the Accord, used I'd go with the Fusion. A late model Accord will sell for close to new price while the Fusion will depreciate faster and be cheaper. Hondas have a reputation for reliability but today's Fords aren't far behind.

edited September 2013
    We-my son primarily-rescued what the Humane Society termed a "Border Collie/shepherd mix" puppy. He's all grown up now and looks like an Aussie Dingo. I've been spoiled by Collies and German Shepherds that would anticipate what you wanted them to do and then would do it. In contrast, Rooney the Dingo knows darn well what you want him to do and does the exact opposite.
    He's a good-natured mutt but he drives me crazy sometimes...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Both are god vehicles, both are very reliable, both will serve you well in the log run. Don't ask us test drive both and choose the one you like best, you will be the one driving it.

We rescued our dog, she wag a rat terrier. Great dog and was wonderful with the grand kids. Had her for almost 15 years until a coyote attacked he one night last February.

Well, at least she had a great 15 years with you guys. So sorry to hear that you lost her.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Richard, great post and excellent advice. You know your dogs !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Sorry to hear of that; we have coyotes howling at least a couple of times per week, but Rooney just stands on the side porch and barks...

There is a movie on SiFy channel called Drive Angry right now. Awful movie but wonderful cars. A 69 440 Charger, 70 454 Chevelle and a 57 Bel Aire. Car chases, explosions, the devil....can't believe that the cars are the only thing worth watching.

I would agree with you on this oldfarmer.

A used Fusion can be a lot of car for the money because of the depreciation.

I think the ride and feel of the Accord would be much better but a lot of people wouldn't notice or care.
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    That's funny. I had never heard of the movie until today. Was watching one of the earlier episodes of Fast N Loud (I recently became hooked....) and they had purchased the wrecked '64 Riviera from the movie to rebuild.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

This discussion has been closed.