Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Getting the Most Out of the Toyota Prius: Driving Tips

13»

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national magazine would like to speak with Toyota Prius owners who have bought the Hymotion kit to convert their car into plug-in hybrid. If you own or drive one of these converted vehicles, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, November 17th.
  • wpeasewpease Member Posts: 6
    Would anyone have specific experience with the following-

1)Merging from standstill (it becomes necessary when merging onto some highways)-does it accelerate fast enough-the numbers about 10 secs for 0-60 mph im still not sure are enough
    2) Ive seen posts from non Prius drivers complaining about slow moving priuses as well- so while moving, is the acceleration performance sufficient to switch lanes safely if someone behind is indicating they may need you to?
    3) I live in North new jersey- which while it's not colorado does get snow and ice. Are there any Prius-specific gotchas there?

i put down a deposit on a prius Friday night and am now seriously reconsidering (nothing signed yet beyond credit card slip.)

If I new the above criteria were ok Id be fine with it.
    Thank, W>
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    1) 10 seconds is not all that bad compared to about 90% of new cars.

2) Most Prius are slow by drivers choice.

3) I would use snow tires. Many people drive these in the snow. I'm looking forward to my first winter in a Prius. However I had a Camry Hybrid before and they pretty much are the same. I was concerned with the Camry as even wet grass would shut it down on a slope from a standing start. However the Vridgestones had very little tread. If it doesn't have traction, the traction control won't shut off and the car won't move. However many new cars have this same issue. Make sure in bad weather you have snow treads.

I really don't know your specific daily route but #3 would be my only concern in your case. I don't remember too many hills in NJ though that would concern me in bad weather
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Most cars with traction control have a way of shuting them off, at least on Ford and GM. This has been a big problem with the Prius since new and why they haven't added a button to turn it off is anybodies guess.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    I used to live in Bergen County before moving to CO. The Prius will be great in NJ, the 2010 even better. The only problem is LONG, STEEP, STRAIGHT mountain passes where you want to go 85 uphill for 3 or 4 miles and the booster battery dies after 2 or 3, leaving you to the smaller gasoline engine which can only do 70 on it own, uphill.
    Not a problem on curvy roads where 70 is more than enough or on short hills when 2-3 miles is a lot or on mild hills when the boost lasts longer and the ICE can do 70+ easily on it's own.
  • wpeasewpease Member Posts: 6
    Stevegold,
    Many thanks for the info.
    Not too many of those mountain passe around NJ thank heavens. But I just picked my Prius up and am daunted.The tires do look a bit like bicycle tires and the chassis undercarriage is so low I fear (it gets parked outside) that when the snow piles up over a foot (which it does a few times a winter at least for the last 2) backing it out could be a job. Any perspectives on this? With the old Honda accord somehow this didnt seem an issue.

thanks again
    W.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    I have a second set of rims with Blizzak snow tires that I switch to in October. There may be a better snow tire to buy. Check the boards for recomendations.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    After driving a BMW 335i with snow tires I happen to know every single Good Samaritan in Toronto who is willing to give a shove to a snow-stuck car.

I am going to try driving my Prius without snowtires and hopefully I will drive by all those very Good Samaritans.

If not then I will consider Blizzaks.Blizzaks for a Prius will be significantly cheaper than those run flat Bridgestone snowtires I used for my BMW which costed me CDN $775 ( $730 US $) a tire in Canada

I love my Prius. The mileage is getting better by the day. And so far no speeding tickets. ;)
This discussion has been closed.