Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pt95148pt95148 Member Posts: 17
    Anchovy or Carman,

Can you tell me more about the MF? or point me in the right direction for research.
    I am trying to understand how a MF of .00245 equates to a 5.9%.

Thanks in advance
  • bob104bob104 Member Posts: 94
    Glad to hear that you agree, Carl. Here's a consumerreports.com article that answers the original question of when to buy. But it doesn't address the question of the gasoline price spiral.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/best-time-to-buy-a-car-1204/overview/ind- ex.htm

I did take their advice and buy a end-of-model-year Civic in 2002. Got $3,000 off the msrp. Very happy camper. There may be some 07 Prius still around--don't know.

Off to LA today in my new Prius. (My electric bike doesn't quite have the range).

Bob
  • carlstraubcarlstraub Member Posts: 50
    Hi,
    Longo Toyota still shows some 07s on web site.
    C
    Bob/Carl,
    Thanks for your advices.
    Supplies seem to be plentiful right now in Bay Area. Toyota Sunnyvale is advertising Prius Pkg2 at $22588.
    That's like $800 over invoice. Is this a good deal or should I negotiate some more.
    Am I running the risk that as inventory goes down towards Dec that they will hold up prices higher?
    Philip
  • piper5ulpiper5ul Member Posts: 5
    You want to negotiate a bit more i think
    Here is what I got from Expressway in Dorchester

Option 5 (yours is option 3)

term: 48 months
    money factor: not known
    15,000 miles per year
    residual value: 12,636
    MSRP: 26,464
    agreed upon value: 24,464
    monthly payment: 342.45
    tax: 18.00
    total monthly: ~ 360.00
  • carlstraubcarlstraub Member Posts: 50
    Philip,
    Check out this and other forums and make the best "educated guess" you can as to supply/demand = price.
    What worked for me.
    I decided exactly what I wanted with regards to options/color.
    Determined what I would pay.
    Emailed local dealers using the Toyota website.
    Told them I would buy the car immediately. I asked that the dealer plz not respond if they would not agree to my price.
    When the first dealer agreed I bought the car the same day.

The car is great. Getting an ulcer buying it is not good.
    Carl
    $800 over invoice is about what I paid for my 08Touring#6. Remember that dealer holdback is about $600, so they are making a margin of about $1400 on the car. That doesn't seem unfair given all the costs involved in running a dealership.

Of course, how much they make is their business, not ours. Our business is figuring out the lowest price we can pay. From what I've read herein $800 over invoice is about as good as it gets for Prius in this CURRENT market. But do what it takes to content yourself that this is a good price. Like I said, I bought a new last-year Civic in 2002 (that is, 2003s were already for sale) for $1600 below invoice.

07s may be $1,000 less than 08s. If you drive high miles it may be worth it. If you drive low miles the 08 is the better deal for $1,000 more than the 07. Try finding an 07 AT invoice, if you want to go that way.

If I were timing the market, I GUESS I'd buy the day after Christmas, at this point. But that's just an intuition on my part based on the CR article. Oil prices seem to be stabilizing today at about $94/barrel.

BTW, I highly recommend the platinum warranty, (I paid $1155, 6year/100k), not because you'll need it, but because it is transferable, one time only. If you sell the car within the warranty period you'll more than recover that money, imo.

Good luck.
    Bob
    Thanks for the insight Bob.

I forgot about the dealer hold back, I was thinking that dealers would not advertise their bottom price anyway, so there is room for negotiation. Like you, I wouldn't begrudge dealers for making some profit for expenses, salaries and so on.

I think I will wait a while and see how oil prices and inventories play out.

I still have 4 months lease on my MB, so wouldn't want to have a new Prius sitting in my garage doing nothing. Either way it will cost money and even if I have to pay a bit more in March, it couldn't beat about $2K for MB lease, plus lease & depreciation for the Prius.

BTW, how should I start my inquiries with the dealers, tell them upfront that I am interested in leasing or get to the buy price first?

Also can anyone explain to me the money factor that I keep hearing in lease talk?

Thanks in advance
  • olivelabolivelab Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 basic package #6 in San Francisco for $26,000 including carpet floor mats. No extended warranties. No bumper applique. OTD was about $28,500.
  • prusaprusa Member Posts: 43
    Hey Bob,
    Are you regreting not buying the Non-Touring? I am not sure if I should buy Touring or Non-Touring Pkg. 6. I did check the price for the Touring tires and they are expensive. The difference between the Non-Touring and Touring is about $300.00. Any suggestions? If anyone out there has gone thru the same let me know. I have to make a decision soon.
  • nm_socalnm_socal Member Posts: 29
    Responding to the comment: "The difference between the Non-Touring and Touring is about $300.00."

This may well be true, based on the MSRP. But when I was purchasing my car, on 9/29, my options were:

* pay invoice minus $300 for 2007 Non-Touring;
    * pay invoice for 2008 Non-Touring;
    * pay sticker for 2008 Touring

I opted for 2008 Non-Touring. So, the jump for Touring was much higher than the $300 you mentioned, because, due to limited availability of Touring, it was going for much more than the invoice price.

This was in September ... have the facts changed so much in the past 7 weeks?

'hope this helps. Thanks.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    A little known fact, Cars with built-in navigation systems actually are showing a lower resale value than the same car without it. The reason being is nav systems are constantly changing, pretty much on par with how the PC market is, new ones are popping up every day. To upgrade a built in unit is very expensive, and because if this, people arent willing to pay for an out of date system. Keep that in mind when you decide to buy a higher end package. If the only reason you are looking at a higher end package is for the nav/bluetooth, save your money and get a mobile unit, those are not that expensive and can tie into existing car radios along with providing bluetooth functions.
    I can't justify the Touring. It was exactly $500 more than the basic. For that you get spiffy wheels (I'm 56, guys), a sporty (or is it just stiff?) suspension and bigger wheels with bigger tires making a bigger footprint. The bigger footprint provides more traction and stability but certainly has some impact (unknown) on the mpg. The tires seem to cost a good $200 more to replace and seem to wear quicker to boot. I might do better when I replace the Turanzas with the new and very excellent Michelin Primacy. They are great tires. $400 a set on my Civic.

Over 100k miles the costs are: $500 for Touring, $400 differential for 2 sets of fancy tires and $350 additional for gasoline (5% worse mileage) at current prices ( a wild guess). That's $1250. You may get a small amount back when you go to sell it but I'm thinking not much more than $100-200. I can't see the $1,000-worth of value. And when gasoline goes up I'm sure I'd rather be getting 46mpg rather than 44mpg, if I'm guessing right.
    So....your advise is to go for the Non-Touring. I really appreciate your expertise. I like the look of the Touring, but in the long run the Non-Touring is the car for me. I I have all week to hunt for the best deal and will let you know if I was able to buy the car.
  • yorfutrxhsbndyorfutrxhsbnd Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone,

It is certainly nice to know that there are people who care about the environment and are willing to purchase greener cars.

Does anyone know if the Package 3 is available in Los
    Angeles (or anywhere in CA for that matter as I will drive to get it), Also, what should this package add to the price of the car given current incentives going on? It seems you get either a package 2, or a 5 or 6 here.

The option I want is the 9 speaker stereo. I understand it is not advisable to put an aftermarket system in these cars but that may have been salesperson bluster.

Thanks.
  • blodestoneblodestone Member Posts: 1
    I read through this MONSTER thread on Thursday and Friday after I started my contact with dealers in the RFQ. I wish I had actually done so earlier, and I would have taken the suggestion to email dealers with my terms and advise them not to contact me back unless it to to accept those terms.

I did, however, get a vehicle at what I think is a fair price. (I'm certain to be corrected if I am wrong.)

I bought a base model 08 (I'll upgrade it myself, tyvm), added an aftermarket leather package and $1350 or so TTT. $24,4 OTD.

I'm located in Milwaukee WI and used Heiser Toyota. The entire experience with this dealer was wonderfully pleasant. I learned a few tricks and am certain I could have done even better (and hope to in a few years when I replace my wife's vehicle.)

What do you all think? hot or not?
  • sailorman4sailorman4 Member Posts: 10
    Friend: By March 2008, gasoline will be $4.00 per gallon in most of the country and your ability to get a Prius will be practically nil. If there is one available it will be throw up green or some weird combination and the dealers will be charging outrageous "add ons". My advice, get the car now and the colors and equipment you want. I just travelled 1000 miles to get the car I wanted and I truly love it.
    Sailorman
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    On the contrary ... if you peruse other boards you'll find that the tires on the base model Prius wear out MUCH faster than the Touring ... plus the tires are of higher quality on the Touring as well. That is the opinion of the majority of Prius owners from what I've read ... and believe me I've really checked into it.
    I don't know what the difference is in wear on the original tires; I'm just saying that, later, when replacing tires, 195/55/R16 (Touring model) tires are $50 more, each, than 185/65/R15 (base model). I reason, from my Civic, (185/65/15) that you'll be replacing tires at about 35k and 70k. That's $400-600 for 100k miles. I chose the conservative figure of $400.

What I'm saying is not that the original tires aren't worth it; I'm saying that each subsequent tire change will cost you $200 more with the Touring than with the base. It appears that R16 tires just command a higher price than R15s. If you feel you need a better tire then maybe the R16 are for you. Most people seem to want the highest mpg-tire (smallest, safe footprint). I compared prices at tirerack.com and costco.com.
  • nw_priusguynw_priusguy Member Posts: 3
    I've been pricing the '08 Prius via Internet sales departments at dealers and have apparently hit what appears to be the bottom of the price range. It is a bit confusing figuring out MSRP for the '08 models as the Toyota.com website lists a "base:" model without packages. According to the website, this option has an MSRP of 21, 610 (in my zip code area) and does not include power steering. After speaking with several dealers, I have been told it is impossible to purchase a '08 Prius without power steering, which evidently means the base model is actually a '08 Prius with package 0. This has power steering, but little else in the way of options. On the Toyota.com website, package 0 has an MSRP of 22,985. The dealers are telling me their invoice (not MSRP) is evidently 21,847.. Having said all this, the lowest price I've been able to get on an '08 Prius in the area (from a larger dealer) is 22,250. When I bounced this price back to the other large dealer who has been competing for my business, he told me to take this price from the competing dealer as he couldn't beat it.

Any thoughts on all this? I'm especially interested in why there appears to be a discrepancy between the Toyota.com website (with the lack of a true base model that doesn't have power steering) and what is being sold on the lots here in Oregon. One dealer verified this is confusing for his customers...
    Hi Uppsala,
    My email is: enidmckee@yahoo.com
    Please email me with the name who sold you the car.
    PRUSA
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    I have a base model and other than the Smart key and backup camera it has everything I need in a car. The other two are actually just toys to me. It has AM/FM/CD, Cruise control, Auto Climate Control, power mirrors, power windows, and rear defrost. ALl the above items are not something you normally see on a Base model vehicle. All the "packages" are nothing more than add on accessories that are not really needed, but can be considered luxury items. Aside from Leather, the majority of the add-ons are in the cluster in the dash. Nav unit, MP3/Xm, Bluetooth, backup cam, etc. The Base model actually has quite a lot of items you don't normally expect in a car like this. I can see how the backup cam would be handy for most people, I don't have a need for it since I used to drive 18 Wheelers, and they don't have a rear view mirror hanging off the windscreen so you have no choice but to use the side mirrors. Smart Key, pure luxury item. So in short, even if all you can find is a base model, you really cant go wrong with it, the only item I miss is the leather interior which my other cars have.
  • stalwartcostalwartco Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at the touring Pkg #6 and what I've been told is that the touring ride is a little noisy because of the change in the suspenion and the standard is quieter.. My question is for those who have the touring is the drive noisy ???? I did not hear it in the test drive. Please let me know what you'all think... Thanks Shea
  • dilberticdilbertic Member Posts: 63
    Everyone thanks for the feedback in this fourm :)

1st todays paper had 08's for 26k with option #6 in Sunnyvale, CA, but I am looking for a little cheaper model so I am looking for Seaside Pearl with Option #5

I was sent a quote from one dealer for 24,850.00 with the Option #5

Sound fair?

Thanks for any feedback
    Grab it and run as fast as you can....No kidding. I just got a quote for a Base (1224) Pkg. 6 for 27,000 +TTL. I can't take it because as you can see your quote is way much...much better. Please email me and send the quote so I can get in touch with that dealer. You can find my email in previous emails. You can also quote the name of the dealer, town, and state. I understand that we are not allow to provide the name of salesperson. I hope this info helps you and others out there.
    PRUSA
    Whoops. Try again.

1) I just returned from a road trip. I averaged exactly 42.0 mpg on each of two fill-ups, driving 70-75mph, (got to on the Interstate, HOV lane) over hilly terrain with 500 pounds of load, tires at 35front/33rear. As I've been saying, I believe the Touring gets somewhat less mpg than the Base due to its larger tire footprint. More rubber on the road also explains the idea that the Touring is noisier than the Base. HOWEVER, it is so much quieter than our Honda Civic as to be Lexusian. I doubt the difference in noise level is significant. But I do believe the difference in fuel efficiency would be an irritant.

2) $26k for a Base#6 is as good a price as I've ever heard. I paid about $500 more for my Touring. The only suggestion is to have them include carpets, or at least to include them at their cost, maybe $50-75.
    With the national economy so iffy, I would conjecture that car sales, perhaps even Prius sales, are softening. Still, I'd be very surprised to find that anyone beats $26k on a Base#6 in the next six months. Could be wrong.
  • mingbmingb Member Posts: 5
    Hi all. I'm considering a lease in the Seattle area. What do you think about these lease terms?

2008 Blue package 3, 12k mi/yr, 36mo lease.
    sale price 23900
    dealer installed leather 1400
    RV 14342
    MF 0.00285.

I'm also considering getting satellite radio. Should I have negotiated this from the start? or can I still negotiate down the price after I have the above deal?

Also does Toyota always make you pay for gap insurance?

Thanks.
  • mingbmingb Member Posts: 5
    In case you still don't know. interest rate = MF *2400.
    .00245*2400=5.88%
  • stnkydwgsstnkydwgs Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a deal. I'm still working a deal for package #5 and am only at $25,500.
  • ltciproltcipro Member Posts: 2
    Got this over the phone:

base model, white or red, pkg #2, plus floor mats at...

$22,974 invoice plus $700 profit = $23674
    plus tax, title.
    36 mth lease
    $408.00

salesman said he was using .55 residual and ,00266 money factor.

the monthly lease seems quite high. you thoughts/guidance, please.
    Hi All,

Sorry for the delay, the dealer is Sunnyvale Toyota for Package #5, as for the Package #6 for 26k, that was in the Friday San Jose Mercury News paper, they had 39 to pick from the paper said.

The guys from Stevens creek said they would match the quote for Package #5, but I sent out a quote saying who ever had the lowest quote gets the sale, so Looks like Sunnyvale is going to get it :)

Dil
    I got another quote on a 2008 Package #5 for 24,746 + Fees. so I went down and put a deposit on it since it's in process at the docks. This was a San Jose Dealer.

My question is they offered the the following:

1. Extended warranty (6y/75k=1,640.00) or (7y/75k=1,745.00)
    2. Premium Service Care (4y/55k=1,495.00)

Both seem high, so I wanted to ask whats a good price to talk them down to. The car will be driven less then 10k a year and plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Thanks for any feedback

Dil :D
  • cruising7388cruising7388 Member Posts: 125
    IMO, the Premium Service is a loser.

For the Extended Warranty, for openers you don't even have to decide on this
    option until just before your 3yr/36k basic warranty expires. Secondly, you can
    buy this Extended Warranty from any Toyota dealer. Check with Greenfield
    Toyota in Greenfield Mass. I believe their quote for a 7yr/100K policy with
    0 deductible is somewhere around $1,000.
  • juannokjuannok Member Posts: 7
    prusa,

A related story to help with this question...stick with me even though I'm saying BMW. I'm leasing a BMW 328xi (which we are swapping out for a Prius...my conscience finally got the better of me). The tires on the BMW are runflats and cost $225 to replace EACH TIRE. Two weeks ago I'm on a roadtrip and get a screw in one...$225 down the drain. The very next day after I replaced that tire another piece of metal on the opposite side. $225 down the drain.

I've also had two 'sport' cars and am no fan of the 'sport' handling of the Touring. IMO it's just stiff, bumpy and annoying. I say go with the non-touring for less money, less risk of replacing expensive tires, higher mpg, and smoother ride.

Jon
  • roger1655roger1655 Member Posts: 12
    Is the tax incentive still available for the Prius? I think I read somewhere that it's no longer available for Toyota vehicles because Toyota has already exceeded 60,000 hybrid vehicles.
  • pr0jectpr0ject Member Posts: 9
    wow thats a pretty good deal can i get the name and number of the guy you talked to?
    or does anyone know of a dealer making good deal on the prius in soCAL the few dealers i spoke to seem like they couldn't care less whether or not they make a sale this month or not. I want to get a prius but i have a car so i aint in a huge rush so i just want to find a good deal. I am looking for a touring with either 5 or 6 package preferably the 5.
    Your quotes for warranties are WAY high.

I paid $1150 for a 6yr/100k miles platinum warranty on my 08 a month ago. It covers everything except for wear items--windshield, tires, body/paint. I'll use up my warranty on miles before years. You will use up your warranty on years before miles. Try for a 10yr/100k warranty. See if they'll give you something like that. You can ask for any combo you like. 7yr/75k might be good for you too.

THE BIG REASON to get a warranty is that it can be transferable, one time only. It will add a good $1000 to the sales price if you sell it well within the warranty period, imo. In California, at least, the battery is warranted 10y/150k and I think the drivetrain has some extended coverage included. So warranties might be cheaper here than elsewhere in the US.

Read the warranty contract very carefully: what's covered/not covered and transferability.

I saw a similar warranty to the one I bought being offered online for about $800. I am far and away happier I bought mine at the dealership that sold me the car.
    Just got an email from Honda offering "Holiday Savings" on Civics, INCLUDING the hybrid. I don't have a clear opinion on Civic hybrid vs. Prius, but the add suggests to me that this might be the time to offer invoice, no higher, on either car.

Also with oil down from near $100 now into the upper $80s I imagine there's a lull on the hybrid sales floor.

That's what I'd try if I were buying right now. Disclaimer: This is just intuition mixed with a bit of info from the CR article on "best time to buy" and I can't predict whether prices will go either higher or lower. OK?

Bob
  • dealerproblemsdealerproblems Member Posts: 1
    I need the HID headlights and fog lights of the Touring model for old eyes, which comes with the Touring base model, and the stability control in $518 package 2, but my dealer won't get me this package, only more expensive ones. I'm willing to pay shipping for this Prius package from another dealer, but every web site steers me right back to my local dealer! Help!!
    Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback, I thought they were asking way to much for the warranty, but needed to see what the forum..

Thanks again for all the feedback

Dil
    These old eyes like strong headlights too. But I am not overly impressed by the HIDs headlights and the fog lights on my 08Touring#6. I live in one of the foggiest places in the US, if not the world, the Central Coast of California. You might try test driving both a car with and a car without HID headlights to see what you think before buying. It's easy to do with nightfall by 5:30pm these days.

BTW, if you wear eyeglasses opt for the anti-glare coating for a nominal additional charge.

Bob
  • newtopriusnewtoprius Member Posts: 1
    Hello - I would like to lease an '08 Prius (Standard with package #3 plus leather). I have been to two dealerships in Connecticut where I live (Danbury and Westport). Due to extremely high demand, neither has ever or is willing to negotiate. I see on this forum that many of you have been able to haggle in other parts of the country. Am I being given the runaround or what? Thanks in advance for your advice...
  • abatardiabatardi Member Posts: 2
    Payment seems a little high to me but I think it's because of the low drive off price.

2008 Prius pkg #6 loaded
    Sale Price: $25,847
    MF: .00225
    Residual: $15,253
    Out the door: $1183
    CA Tax: 8.25%

Payment: $422.xx/mo

I was hoping to get closer to $400 payment as others have gotten but I think relative to the drive-off amount it works out.. Let me know.
  • roger1655roger1655 Member Posts: 12
    This is a great price, where did you get this price quote, was it in the bay area?
    Please indicate the dealership name , city and state where you obtained this deal. This is the deal I am looking for.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Hey got a question for the Forum here, I was wondering why people are buying the Prius. What is the motiviation. Is it just to save money on gas?

For instance, compared to the 2008 Ford Focus the Prius is only 2 cubic feet bigger in cargo area, 2 cubic feet bigger in trunk space. Sure the Prius gets better fuel economy, but it costs at least $5,000 more than a Focus. You can buy a lot of gas for $5,000. I calculated it would take you eight years to make up that $5,000 in fuel economy savings.

Also you can get a PZEV Focus which produces the same or less smog forming pollutants as the Prius.

I also wonder why people lease these cars since you can't save money untill well after the end of any lease.

Mark
  • dulesdules Member Posts: 37
    I just did an internet quote and one dealer got back to me, Base + package 3 for 23,227. He says he has stock.

Thoughts? Is this a good price, or is there wiggle room? We can wait until the week after Christmas or just after New Year's but probably not much beyond that.

Thanks!
  • martypowersmartypowers Member Posts: 3
    Took a deal at $22,740.

Also got $400.00 for recent college graduate so net before tax & license was $22,340.

This included Package 2 and floor mats. MSRP was $23,759 (included destination)

I also spent $4.95 to get a Galves (galves.com) value on my trade - that was well worth it as it boosted the trade from $4,000 to $4,600.

Knowledge is power.
  • martypowersmartypowers Member Posts: 3
    If I figured costs correctly, it would be:

.....................................MSRP...............Cost
    Base Model...............22,325.00............20,558.00
    Package 2.....................575.00................518.00
    Mats.............................199.00................179.10
    Destination Charge.........660.00............... 660.00

Total.........................23,759.00............21,915.10
    Holdback (2%).................................-446.50
    Dealer Cost.........................................21,468.60

So total dealer profit was approx. $871.40 or 4%