Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pt95148pt95148 Member Posts: 17
    Just paid $21297 buy price, $23340 OTD for a base 08 Prius in Silver Pine Mica from Walnut Creek Toyota. This included rear bumper applique and mats, about $250 pure profit for the dealers. This makes it below invoice price for the car based on edmunds and yahoo price.

I did not use carbargains.com. I used a method used by another buyer in the Honda odyssey forum which basically emailing a bunch of dealers in the Bay Area, all 24 of them. Some don't reply, some will give a high price, some will ask you to call or come in, some will not give you all the info you asked, you ignored them.

I only replied or negotiated with those who gave all the info I asked in the email. Three dealers came through, Palo Alto, Alameda and Walnut Creek. Palo alto did not have my color, Alameda was more difficult to get to, so I bought from Walnut Creek, a 40 minutes car ride for me.

I was in and out of the dealer in 1 hour, the only thing they tried to sell was pre-paid maintenance. I made a low offer to get out of it.

My overall experience was indifferent, they were neither excellent nor horrible. They just took the business calmly and quietly. I guess I cannot expect them to sell a car at pretty much bottom price and get excited it about it, especially when they cannot expect much more business from out of town customers.

Of those who asked me to call or come in, 'sleaseball' comes to mind, I ignored them.

Best wishes to all who are still trying to buy. If I can help anyone, just let me know.
    Cheers
  • gilnashgilnash Member Posts: 19
    I used CarBargains also. I am pleased at their good work & quick turn around time. If you don't enjoy this buying "experience", then they are a good alternative.

The prices in Nashville are about $1,000 higher than the west coast. Supply for some reason is limited here. Dealers can sell all they have at about MSRP. The range of prices, for 8 dealers, was only about $550 between the low & high bids, the high being MSRP + $299 doc fee. For those complaining on the west coast, be glad for the prices you seem to be getting there.

MSRP, package #2 = $23,759
    base: MSRP $22,325 Invoice 20,558
    mats: MSRP 199 Invoice 143
    Delivery 660
    advertising fee 391
    markup above invoice 1,000
    subtotal MSRP$23,759 Invoice 23,270

prices paid:
    Package 2 + floor & cargo mats + delivery = $23,2700
    dealer fees, taxes, etc = $2,179
    total = $25,499 for a package 2

dealer doc fee was $299.50 plus $99 for a worthless glass etching scheme plus $71 for a business tax.
  • jsnschmasnjsnschmasn Member Posts: 10
    Just took delivery of my '08 package 5 met. gray in St. Louis, MO. It was the epitome of the nasty car buying cliché. The salesman going back and forth to the manager several times while keeping my trade-in keys hostage. Finally after trying to obtain my keys and leave to head elsewhere, the bottom line got a little lower with a 25,500 purchase price plus 125 doc. fees. I did get a decent trade-in allowance. TT&L in MO are done at the DMV.

I came to pick up the car a week later and solidify the financing and it was another battle. I signed and then while messing with the car in the parking lot before I left, I checked with another Toyota dealer regarding a lower financing rate with which he kindly obliged. With tier 1 credit and repeat buying, I expected to be given a good rate by the dealer; not so. They would only match the online rates via third-party financing. I walked back in and calmly but with fire in my eyes, demanded a better rate from TFS. The finance guy got on the phone with TFS (probably calling time and temperature as he wouldn't put it on speaker) and I finally got a .10 reduction to 6.25.

You think you've finished negotiations at the sales table but then you realize they come at you from both the sales and financing angles. I figured the encore program would put me at 6.0(a supposed 1/4 point reduction on the best rates) on a 60 month which was mentioned during the sales process. In the end, a week later, there was no benefit really offered as the finance man claimed during his brief stop-off to the sales bargaining table a week before I took delivery. It really made me angry with all of the lying and telling me I had to use a third party finance to get a better rate than TFS. The whole process was mentally exhausting. I'll be waiting with baited breath for my swarovski crystal memorabilia you're supposed to receive with the encore program.

So far, I do love the car. I do see lock-pick in my future. It's really, really annoying not to be able to use the screen functionality of the phone or nav. while in motion. You wind up spending much more time dialing from your contact list on your mobile device than looking at what is in front of you.

According to Edmunds "what others are paying," I did ok. I know they have to make a profit to keep the lights on but to put you through that awful experience and then want high marks on a survey???? Someone please let me know if I'm being irrational.
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    Over the next many months, or longer, we will all read good stories about how 'I bought the car for $X' with some good and some bad buying experiences. I have had my keys held hostage too, a long time ago, and will NEVER let this happen again. Yes, these tacticts are still happening, but fewer and fewer times I think. We, as buyers, need to be ready to walk out of a dealership with the words, "I'll have to see what the Toyota dealer just down the road can do for me on price" - or similar. Once a dealership has determined you are a serious buyer, and are qualified, they DO NOT want you to leave the lot.

At the end of the day, YOU control the sale, you decide if the deal is fair or not. If you are uncomfortable, LEAVE.. just get up and walk out. You don't have to buy anything you don't want. You for sure don't have to buy that day! Don't get in the mental mind-set that you have to buy a car THAT DAY.

Be happy with your purchase even if someone else gets the exact same car for $x less.. it's OK.

NSJ - why did you put up with this? I can't figure out why someone would buy a car and have it be such an awful experience. Say NO, and walk out next time.

sc
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    When I went in to get the Prius my trade stayed at home. I first got bottom line, then asked what they would give for my trade sight unseen. I knew what I could expect to sell the thing for and if they gave me close to what I could get on the street then its a deal, and they did. No holding keys hostage or negotiating between paper airplane contests, etc. They gave me my price out the door and then made sure the financing was at the lowest rate before signing anything. I think it is at 2.9% for 60 months that I got, it was the last day of that rate and the last car on the lot. I got it for sticker minus my trade and I feel I did good considering the difference between the fuel used in the prius compared to the truck and car we drove is at least if not more than what I pay for the car and insurance, I did really good. Now for my next adventure, we are looking to lease a 6-7 passenger vehicle for when we all need to go somewhere as a family, and since that isnt that often, a lease will work out quite well for us.
  • skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    Congrats! So...can you provide a few details on what Prius u bought, what package, price breakdown? :confuse:
  • ayers976ayers976 Member Posts: 4
    08 Prius Touring Package #6 in SoCal

Negotiated $27,122 before calling this a lease
    36 mon / 45,000mi / $1980 down (cap cost reduction)

Residual: $15,332
    MF: I think was 0.00205
    GAP: $600

Monthly: $454 incl tax

I think the residual is set by the mfg and will only vary on the length of the lease and expected mileage. $15,332 was quoted by a few dealers I went to.

Could I have gotten a better deal? The Touring package in my color was tough to find so I was a little hasty. But I'm pretty sure I could have leased a BMW 3-series for the same price. Oh well.. the price for being green.
  • sarahapsarahap Member Posts: 10
    This is something I thought I knew but now am not sure. If I buy a Prius in January do I get the full tax credit again? (assuming all the other tax rules are met). I thought that the regulation was something like the credit went to the first xx thousand cars sold each year. Now I'm starting to wonder. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The US tax credit was for the first xx thousand cars sold period. There is no longer a tax credit for the Prius.
  • bivouac1bivouac1 Member Posts: 9
    I just got an 08 Prius in 'magnetic gray metallic' - Package #2 - with cargo mat, first aid kit, rear bumper applique and mats for $22,500.00 in the Minneapolis area. I got a few quotes within $500.00 of that price throughout the Twin Cities area, but most well above that price.

I am in LOVE with this car. I was VERY happy with the price and dealership.
  • dyuandyuan Member Posts: 2
    Can you provide the dealer and sales person name, so we can also go to him/her for this nice deal. I think you got a very reasonable price for this car.

Thanks.
  • jugheadsjugheads Member Posts: 1
    2008 Prius - Touring with Package 6.
    7 year/100K mile extended warranty
    Prepaid every standard service up to 50K miles.

OTD price 31.5K (8.25% tax for the county that I live in).

I emailed a bunch of deals but this is the best I could find. I think it is a fair deal, not great but fair.

Good luck everyone, I hope this helps others.
  • keefferskeeffers Member Posts: 3
    Taking advantage of the sales rush on the last day of the year, yesterday I bought a Silver Pine Mica Prius with Package #6 (navigation, etc., leather) for $25,700, just below the Invoice Price listed on Edmunds for this car. The only addition to this price was state sales tax at 5%.

I shopped around Saturday and yesterday and the best I could do other than this price was $25,900, which another dealer claimed was invoice. In the end, the dealer I bought from is 15 miles closer to home, so it was more convenient as well as a better price.

For the frosting on my Prius cake, the dealer offered me financing a quarter point below what I could get from my credit union.

All in all, a fairly painless and rewarding experience.
  • prusaprusa Member Posts: 43
    Can you please tell us the city and state where you got this deal? Yours was really a rewarding experience. Mine has been and still is a nightmare. I am still looking for a price similar to yours.
    Prusa
    This is NOT an Extended Service 'bash', and for those that bought this, I'm sure you will sleep better at night - but watch out on these - if you look at what the extended service contracts covers - that is A LOT of things that are labeled as "inspect" - I pointed out to my dealer, all I'm really paying for is a tire rotation and oil change - which the manual indicates you can have done yourself and just keep a record of it. Your warranty will cover anything that goes wrong - so my only point here is, if you must have it, negotiate like a mad-man on this.. it's a huge money maker for the dealer.

sc
    It's Walnut Creek Toyota.

You can find them on the Toyota.com website and Locate Dealer.
    I think you cannot disclose salesperson name on this forum but it is the Internet sales manager, a lady whose first name starts with a K.
    I started by sending them an email and this lady answered.

Good luck.
  • redpriusredprius Member Posts: 3
    I think I got a good deal. On friday, Dec. 28th I went to 355 Toyota in Rockville, MD. I had accessed their internet site the previous day. I had asked for a price quote via direct email.and received a price at least $1200 lower than any other dealer I had visited. I called to be sure this was true and was assured so. I did want a red Prius, but they said they did not have one in stock at any of their three dealerships with the package 5. I came in looking to buy one they had, but after speaking with the internet manager, he said he would try to find one in the area, but he cautioned me that trading cars this late in the month was difficult. He was able to find one in Virginia, about 30 miles away that just arrived and they would trade with them. The sticker price was 28,464 which included the CF mats for 199. Then 2,000 was subtracted for the extra value package(which is inflated by the price of Pkg. #5 for 5,280 instead of 3,280). So my MSRP was 26,464. My deal was 24,074 before Tax, tags, and 100 process fee. I was driving home for 25,572 by the afternoon. Now I just have to learn the 500 Page manual and the Navigation manual.
    Thought I had a great deal at $800 for 7/75K miles.. glad you did better, I think under $700 for this is a good deal.. and if anyone were to ever get it to $500... this is about what it's worth.

sc
    I bought the car from a Toyota dealership in Cockeysville, Maryland.

Good luck.
  • rpaleyrpaley Member Posts: 8
    For those of you who might like to buy an extended warranty (MUST be done before the Prius is 3 yrs old), but can't swallow the MSRP, I bought my warranty at a distant Toyota dealership at about 40% discount. I bought the 7/100/0 for about $985.00.

If you are interested, contact the Finance Officer at the "Toyota of Greenfield, MA" dealership and request the discounted Extended Warranty information.

Hope this helps.
  • cdost1cdost1 Member Posts: 27
    Hi,

Trying to help my parents out who are beginning to look for a Prius in the Westchester County, NY area. I would be interested to hear anyone who has bought from the local dealers and how they did on the deal.

Thanks
    Cdost
  • robeatonrobeaton Member Posts: 1
    Here's my experience:

I just got a 2008 black Prius Package 3 for 23.978.00. Since I live in Oregon there was no sales tax so that was just the price. Dealership said this was 200.00 dollars over there listed invoice price of 23,778.00. Does this sound like a fair deal to everyone or are people paying much less for there package 3's?
  • tmk5tmk5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering an '08 Prius Package 5 or 6. Does anyone know the current money factor that Toyota is offering (Tier 1 credit) and the residual? Not sure that it makes a difference, but I'm in SoCal. Thanks for the help.
  • ariane1ariane1 Member Posts: 15
    Hello,
    I am currently in the market, trying to buy a prius 08 with package 2. I just wanted to know if you remember what forms you signed at the dealership. Did you sign any credit application form. A dealership told me that they needed this form to get info about me, like social security number etc, to make sure I was authentic, but would not run a credit check. However, sounds fishy, so wanted to check with you. I am using my own credit.
    Thanks.
    You should not sign any document at a dealership until the deal is done. They can check your credit based on you providing a social security number but no other way. If they are asking you to sign a document, they are attempting to trap you in some way.

Don't do it unless you are signing deal papers.
    I signed the contract of sale which is the same used for lease or financing, except that all the % is zero, since I paid cash for my car.
    They did run a credit check without asking me but they disclosed it fully afterwards. I guess they needed this since I paid $3k on credit card and the rest by personal check.
  • redpriusredprius Member Posts: 3
    When I bought my car, the dealership asked me to sign a application for a loan, even though I was paying in full with a check. I questioned why this form was necessary. I was told that they had to check my credit since I was paying with a personal check. I was leary and still signed, and waited for some surprises at the end. However, there were no come ons or added fees in the end. Good luck with your purchase and just be prepared to say no and walk out if you are not happy with how things are going.
    I did the same, filled out a few forms, even though paying with a check. The dealer told me it was in case the check bounces, and I suppose I understood this. All went w/o a hitch - I think if you feel comfortable with the person you are working with, and it's a decent dealer, you are fine.

sc
    Hello,
    I was also thinking of buying from 355 toyota tomorrow or day after. Did you use ur own financing? Did they run a credit check or OSAC report on you? Did you have to give them your social security number, etc?
    Thanks.
  • sergelbergeronsergelbergeron Member Posts: 138
    After I told my dealership that I was taking the Ext. Warranty from the dealer in Boston for $985 - he made me a on the spot price of $1,000. I took it as I figured I was there in their office and it would be done now. So you can squeeze a good price from your dealer in the US.
  • prusaprusa Member Posts: 43
    Last week-end I went shopping for a Prius PKG 6. The car is not even here and the dealer already debited my credit card for $600.00. They requested a deposit in order to order the car. Last night, the dealer called and told me that it is going to take about two weeks for me to get the car. They said that they can't find the color I want. Another dealer called me and told me that they have located the car for me and they are even giving me a $400.00 additional discount. What I want to know is... why some dealers can debit your credit card when the car is not even in your hands. The second dealer didn't even ask me for a deposit and they already have located the car for me. Can someone tell me how to get my deposit from the first dealer? Can the first dealer keep my deposit if I don't buy from them? I don't want to loose muy deposit. I am not happy with the the run-around the first dealer is giving me. Perhaps, someone has had this experience and can advise me on what to do. Thanks
  • mchulamchula Member Posts: 2
    Today i bought a silver pine Prius with pkg#6 at the selling price of $25,350. The mileage is 124 miles. It is a great deal.
  • senketsenket Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '08 Prius, silver pine, pkg #2, for 23K. I have to say the purchase was an incredibly smooth experience. All the terms were settled via email and phone, no surprises at the showroom, the staff was friendly and fun, and I feel like I got a fair deal.

This was the third time I have bought a car. The previous experience, buying my '03 Chevy S10, was also good, although that was all in person. My first, buying my '92 Honda Accord was a nightmare of pushy salespeople who tried to sell me what I didn't want ("What part of manual transmission do you not understand?") Aside from that, my mother was married to a used car salesman, so I spent some of my childhood in that very shady milieu.

It seems to me that there has been a real change in dealer mentality over the last 20 years.
  • f1xerof1xero Member Posts: 1
    the current MF for a Prius is very high. I was quoted .00305 and I have tier 1 credit.

has anyone heard anything else?
  • skb78skb78 Member Posts: 4
    Within the next few weeks, I plan to buy an '08 Prius, either package 4 or 5. Over the past several weeks, I've found the Edmunds discussions quite helpful. Right now I'm at the point where I've gotten some internet quotes and I'm fairly sure which dealership I plan to use (I haven't set foot in any of the local dealerships yet, but I'm mainly going by the vibes I'm getting from the internet managers that have contacted me--low pressure vs. high pressure, as well as by internet reviews of local dealerships).
    I requested quotes for Prius package 5. One quote is for MSRP $26,531, internet selling price of $24,604, plus a $340 processing fee, and $660 destination charge/delivery fee, for a total of $25,604 before taxes, tags, etc. The other quote is for MSRP $26,694, with a special internet selling price of $24,925.73 for a 72-hr window (which has already passed); this would total $25,585.73 before taxes, tags, etc. My question is, for those who have bought in the Northern VA area, are these quotes reasonable for a package 5 or should I look for something lower?
    Also, I've heard mixed reviews about the Prius navigation system. I haven't used any type of navi system in the past, so I'm not sure if the one in the Prius is worth the cost or if it would be better downgrade to a package 4 and just buy a portable GPS. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, this will be my first new car purchase and first time dealing with a dealership, and I guess it doesn't help that I'm a single female (in my late 20's, but I've often been told I look younger). Are there any "red flags" I should look out for when negotiating a price, signing the contract, etc? Also, are there any fees which are basically bogus and can be talked down or eliminated altogether? Thanks in advance for any feedback!
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Also, I've heard mixed reviews about the Prius navigation system. I haven't used any type of navi system in the past, so I'm not sure if the one in the Prius is worth the cost or if it would be better downgrade to a package 4 and just buy a portable GPS. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I also look3ed at the Prius, but decided to wait til the next model comes out. The Nav system is a problem for this reason.
    Think back to 8 track tape players. Great addition to a car waaaaaaay back but just try and get an 8 track tape now. The current Nav systems are extremely expensive to upgrade. Just call up the toyota dealer and ask for a price to upgrade an older Nav system. Figure $600 easy. After 5 years it will be a worthless unit in your car. You can buy a nice portable GPS system for $300 or a great one for $600. I'd rather get a unit for less and if it's outdated ok well it's $300 or so and it's not mounted in the dash and easy to replace and take with you on trips if you use a rental car. In dash looks nice but you can have a pro shop mount it in your car and it will not have any visible wires either. My advice go to Best Buy or a place like that and check out the Nav systems they have on display. My wife wants one so it will either be a Garmin or a TomTom. I'm still checking them out but found the Garmin easier to use button wise. My wife likes the TomTom but she can't use the buttons easily either.
  • red4ured4u Member Posts: 1
    was wondering whether anyone has any "late" news on the Toyota Prius for 2009. My wife and I are considering buying a 2008, but am wondering if I should wait for 2009, as it sounds like there could be major changes. Any thoughts or "steering" towards any internet articles would be appreciated. Also, we are debating on the package 2 vs the package 4. getting quotes for 22,800 for pack#2 and 24,700 for package 4....for those of you that have pack 4, do you feel it was worth the near extra $ 2K ?....am thinking should also get most of it back ( diff between 2 & 4 ) when reselling in 4-5 years.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    was wondering whether anyone has any "late" news on the Toyota Prius for 2009. My wife and I are considering buying a 2008, but am wondering if I should wait for 2009, as it sounds like there could be major changes.

That's why my wife and I held off buying until next year and changes announced now would affect sales now so I don't expect to hear much accurate info for at least another 6 months. Unless you want to wait another year no reason not to buy now. My biggest gripe and my wifes was a non-adjustable drivers seat. For what they charge it ought to have a few more adjustments in the drivers seat. Height adjustment is what my wife really wanted as she is short and I wanted a bit more seat padding for long trips. Lumbar support would be great as well. These cars cost as much as a Camry so why can't they have an adjustable seat like a Camry? It doesn't have to be a power seat. No word on that and new battery technology is a tough call because lithium ion is probably not going to happen with the Prius. They will want a non Hazmat battery.
    Check the local airlines to see the new laws on Li-Ion batteries as they are prone to catching on fire. They can keep them cold with refrigerant but no idea if that will happen by 2009.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Toyota has just announced a plug-in will be available next year, with NiMH batteries (two of the current battery packs), but only to fleets. Looks like next years car will be the same as the current one for the rest of us. The word is 2010 for the next model.
    But only Toyota knows for sure.

The Lithium batteries "aren't ready yet", according to Toyota spokes people. I think the Panasonic division of Matsushita is working on the batteries for Toyota.
    I've seen that many who have posted here have recommended purchasing via an internet manager rather than by the salespeople on the floor. Just a few questions about going this route:
    1. Is the internet manager only able to deal with cars currently on the lot, or is he/she able to trade with other dealerships just like a floor salesperson can?
    2. I have not yet taken a test drive. When I go to the dealership to take a test drive, is it possible to deal with the internet manager only or will I have to deal with a floor salesperson?
    3. Is the internet price a "take it or leave it" price or can it be negotiable?
    4. Do the internet managers tend to be more, less, or equally knowledgable, as compared to the floor salespeople, about the specifics of the Prius?
    I have been a reader of this forum since October. I have finally bought a package 2 toyota prius.

Out the door price - 22500, excluding tags, taxes and license fees. Used Capital One financing for entire amount. No trade ins. Maryland state. Fitzmall Toyota.

Used approximately donkey punch method, sending out internet requests for prices. Got prices that were cheaper at Beltway Toyota and 355 Toyota, but did not like the way they dealt with me, so finally went with Fitzmall Toyota. Price at Fitzmall was still about 700 dollars cheaper than North Carolina prices and Virginia prices.

Reasons for package 2 - contains basically all that I need. I have a portable navigation system, which is more than sufficient for all kinds of trips. Plus, you can take with you when you fly, and use it in your rental car. Leather looks nice, but can be really cold in the winter. Heated seats - I do not know about them. Premium speaker system, etc can be installed later if needed at much lower prices than charged by Toyota.

Experience with dealerships:
    -Horrible experience with Sheehy Honda. This was when I was trying to buy an Odyssey. Numerous tricks. At Henderson Honda - decent dealership, no backhand dealings as far as I could make out. At Beltway toyota - we had corresponded through about 20 emails about forms, and they came up with yet another form when I went there. Their privacy policy is actually disclosure policy. Price was very aggressive though. Goldsboro Toyota and Hubert Vester Toyota had numerous forms to be filled and signed, including an arbitration policy, which is an absolute no-no. They also have clauses on their purchase order which state that they WILL run a credit check on you.
    Fitzmall Toyota - dealt with a nice gentleman there. They were pretty decent. For the most part, were straightforward. Price was a little higher. They did try 'good cop-bad cop' trick, and I had to play the 'walkout' trick, but their forms are the best, and they are very open about the paperwork required. They will not run credit check unless you sign their form, which is OPTIONAL. Their privacy policy was also the best, and you can even opt out of that, although they did not tell me about it. There is a provision for that while they are entering your info on the computer. Ask about it specifically. They endorsed check immediately, and it was cashed within 72 hours.

Paperwork required for purchase of car
    I am posting this also because I visited several dealers, and it was sometimes frustrating because various dealers had various forms. From what I could understand, came to the following conclusions:

1- If you are using an institution's financing, like Capital One or your local credit union for the entire purchase amount, you do NOT have to fill out ANY credit application forms at the dealership. They do NOT have to run a background check or terrorist check on you, as these have already been done by your finacing institution before giving you the check. You do NOT have to fill out a FIVE LINER, which is a partial credit application, as they CAN use this to run a credit check on you.

2- They do NOT need your social security number for a car purchase. I did not give mine during the purchase. They absolutely do NOT need it. They do NOT need to know any personal info about you, or who they are dealing with. I was told "Mr A.., our finance manager, would like to know who he is dealing with". Absolute nonsense. As long as you have a check from a financial institution, that is all that is needed. Just give them your name, address, license info, and car insurance info. That is all that they need.

3- Do NOT sign an arbitration policy under any circumstances. It means you cannot sue them later for any of their faults. Do NOT accept statements on purchase order such as " the purchaser has agreed to buy the vehicle in an AS IS condition ".

4- The only forms/paperwork required are - Purchase order, Odometer statement, Proof of insurance, Limited power of attorney so that they can do your tags/registration, and forms from DMV/MVA for registration. NO NEED for credit application form, arbitration policy form, background check form, etc, etc.

These are that I can think of right now. Any further thoughts shall be posted later.
    Internet sales managers have absolutely the same knowledge, abilites to show you the car, test drive it, etc as any of the floor salespersons. There is no difference AT ALL. Absolutely none. When you go into the dealership, insist on dealing with the Internet sales person you corresponded with. Make sure he will be there on the day you are going in. Tell him that you want to deal with him only, and do not allow them to TURN YOU OVER to sales manager, etc. These are all tricks they play, like good cop - bad cop. The internet sales person should be able to do everything for you, except the final paperwork, which is usually done by a finance manager, and is the same for floor salespersons also.

The internet sales price is negotiable. See donkey punch method in Honda Odyssey forum.
    Regarding navigation system, I think a garmin c 350 for about 140 dollars from walmart or staples is more than sufficient to travel anywhere in the US. If you want a sleeker model, the garmin nuvi 200 is good, and costs about 170 dollars. Plus, you can take with you and use in a rental car, etc.

Regarding paperwork and dealer tricks, read my post number 1230.

Regarding getting the best internet prices, use donkey punch method posted in honda odyssey buying forum. It is very useful. Dealer processing fee is absolute nonsense. They are charging that for about 30 minutes of work. Even doctors and lawyers are not paid that kind of fees, let alone a school drop out clerk. I think that Maryland state has a rule that doc fees/processing fees cannot be more than 100 dollars. I found prices in Maryland to be cheaper than VA or NC prices.

Ask for ALL paperwork, front and back, to be faxed to you, including forms from finance manager's office. They often hide the latter forms. Go through the fine print on the FRONT and BACK of these forms. Then make a decision.
    The internet sales price is negotiable. See donkey punch method. See donkey punch method in Honda Odyssey forum.

Thanks for the info. Within the Honda Odyssey Buying Experience & Prices Paid thread, post #17261 gives a good step-by-step guide, and post #17334 gives a more concise summary.

On a slightly unrelated note: would the tags fees still apply (or be the full amount) if you plan to transfer your existing license plates to your new vehicle?
  • latalata Member Posts: 2
    Please let me know the dealer and the state.
    Am planing to buy one with PKG 6 ,but i got the range from $26.500 to $27000 + tax.
  • latalata Member Posts: 2
    Can any body tell me the best proce in New York for Prius PKG #2 and PKG#6 .

I got the dealer price listing from $26000 to $27200 for PKG #6 and $23200 for PKG#2.

I would like to know the best deal on these two cars....
  • mchulamchula Member Posts: 2
    It is Capitol Toyota in San Jose, CA. Asking for a Taiwanese guy.
  • rockville1rockville1 Member Posts: 26
    Got a quote for $25,981 + title, taxes & tags for 2008 Prius with option package NW #6 (MSRP $27,685). I'm thinking this is a pretty darn good price but would like to know what others are getting or think about the price.

Thanks,

Brian
  • lm2lm2 Member Posts: 2
    Regarding the 2009 Prius, check the March 2008 issue of Motortrend; there is a drawing based on information (rumors?) of employees within Toyota. The drawing is very sleek looking, although drawings are often exaggerated. It also states that the engine will be 1.8 litres, and will initially have the current battery. Hope this helps. I'm waiting for the 2009.
  • bjcarterbjcarter Member Posts: 28
    I noticed that the old incentive deals for Toyota expired yesterday. Any idea if they have new incentives to buy a Prius? This time last years they had low interest loans (0 for 36mo, 1.9 for 48 and 2.9 for 60). I'm hoping they'll do the same this year... thanks
This discussion has been closed.